Join our email list →

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

American IPA | 6.20% ABV

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,155 | Hads: 3,159
3.5/5  rDev +8%

I feel like this beer has come a long way over the past 10 years. On draft at Burton's in Nashua NH. Bright, clean, tasty IPA. It's not going to rock your world, but it's rock solid.

AUG 30, 2014
Bottled 02 Jun 2014. Thanks, Shri. A clear light orange with a dense white head that falls off leaving no lacing, this looks OK. The nose is dominated by cascade hops,grapefruity, chalky, pithy and with some candied citrus. Bitterness is noticeable. A little bit of crystal malt and cotton candy are present. The palate opens with a surprising bitterness, pungent, clean, resiny with grapefruit, pine, orange peel and a little floral character. The mid palate has a mild honey sweetness, a little cotton candy and a little dough. Drying and bitter on the finish, this beer is medium light in body and crisply carbonated. Quite decent.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer does not taste but definitely lacks taste for an IPA. Heavy on the ale side but not where it should be. Ie hoppy and bitter. At least it's an easy drinking ipa.....

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Orange amber color with practically no head.
Light aroma with predominant pine notes and hints of peaches.
Flavor of green tea, pine, orange towards grapefruit citrusy which is rather muted, spices and American yeast. Dry and bitter aftertaste.
Light body with medium carbonation.
Below average for style, but I would not complain to session this and have this as an option to main stream beers in no specialized markets.
Ap.3 Ar.3 Sab.3 Sens.3,25 Cj.3

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

I really like this IPA. It is smooth and flavorful.

I like hops as much as the next guy, right on, but I don't need a snootful every time I take a sip of beer, and for that reason I like the Longhammer. The hops blend with the rest of the flavor profile really well, so that you get a nice unified sense of taste. They don't stand out noticeably on their own, which to me is a sign of a brewer that's paying attention.

Definitely recommended if you want a nice, subtle IPA.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

The beer pours out in a golden amber.

The aroma is of citrus, sweet grapefruit, a hint of malt.

The flavor follows of slightly muted citrus, pine, a bready malt in the middle, and a medium minus bitterness on the back.

A decent attempt at an IPA and I was impressed based my low expectations.

4.03/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I laugh when I read "beginners beer". Maybe a beginning of the night beer. This beer is a staple beer. No nonsense just good beer. No need for the thinking cap and big adjectives to describe this pale ale. Two row barley, cascade hops, yeast, and done. Simplicity is a beautiful thing, however difficult for many so called experts to comprehend.

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a beginners IPA for the masses. Still, a well done beer. Sometimes I want more than a Paie Ale and less than a full on IPA. This is a good lawnmower beer when it's not too hot. The new bottle with the short neck is a pleasure to drink from. They have this at my local Walmart for a low price so for what I paid, it's a good value. Again... Walmart = for the masses.

This is a great beer to move someone upscale from Bud Light as such.

3.42/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Long hammer is a great beginners IPA. Mellow piney citrus hop. A bit more bite than a session beer. Easy to drink for the masses. Well built beer in the northwest with good ingredients. Now only if the would mass produce Big Ballard Imperial. That is a wonderful imperial IPA.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is my first IPA and I have to say, not a great impression has been made on me. I like the look and it had a hearty smell too it, like others said sort of a piney-ness to it. The taste however was very bitter, I don't feel that I'm experienced enough in the IPA category to properly judge, HOWEVER, the bitterness and aftertaste for me was not something I thoroughly enjoyed. I'll continue trying out various ipa's and rewrite a review if I feel I didn't do this one justice but I will say they put enough of a alcohol percentage in to it so that I didn't completely waste my money away!

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: A slightly cloudy golden with moderate head and retention.

S: Mild notes of hops, pine and citrus.

T: Same as the smell. Mild yet well balanced.

M: Clean and crisp. Goes down easy.

O: A good intro IPA. Not for the hop sadist though. It was the first IPA I ever had and works well in that capacity. Nice to revisit but probably won't buy again.

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pour looks the part. Golden amber with thin white foam covering.

Smells fruity overall. Grapefruit pronounced. Sweet. Now I must add some bottles were Heinekin/Rolling Rock skunky. I would attribute that to poor handling especially with brown bottles.

On the palate fruit follows the nose. Grapefruit pronounced again but leans towards bitter rather than sweet. Quite frankly there is scant sweetness. The bitterness amps up the longer you take to drink.

Mouthfeel plays the part. Medium with a light syrupy coating in the back of the mouth. Bitterness lingers for a short time.

The stronger bitterness, for me, is not what I'm looking for in an IPA unless balanced with fruity essence and of course structured malt. Bottom line, not a balanced IPA. Drink this ice cold cause this gets mo bitter the longer it sits. Prone to quality control issues? Priced right @ 12 bucks/12pk so what does one expect, really!?!

2.65/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

LongHammer is a disappointing IPA. The taste is simple and bland, with misplaced bitterness and a poor finish. It is drinkable if it is the only craft available (and it often is, due to their distribution network), but this is one that needs to be completely re-done.

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a stubby bomber into a shaker pint. A moderate pour produces about a one inch frothy white head that proves pretty sticky. The color is a slightly hazy, ruddy pale golden with light carbonation.

I get a good whiff of floral hops in the aroma. The taste is also hoppy, with some viscous piney flavors coming through. After awhile, the hop flavors seem to lean more toward citrus, with some clear lemon tones in the aftertaste. The malt flavors are understated, but a bit of caramel seems to manifest itself on top of some graininess. A moderate amount of lingering bitterness in the aftertaste leads to some satisfying burps.

There's nothing to rave about, but this is a solid beer perhaps more suited to the tastes of those who prefer an ordinary pale ale to an IPA. However, I think this bomber cost around 4 bucks- for about a buck less, I could buy a 24 ounce bottle of Sierra Nevada pale ale, which may be a little lower in ABV but has about the same or better hop profile and has a superior taste overall. Still, I give this beer above average marks.

3.96/5  rDev +22.2%

Purchased in Alabama in a mix a 6pk for $9.99. Served at 5deg C in a draught glass

A- Very good. Opens well. Pours unclear unfiltered golden good.

S- Very hoppy. Nice amarillo hops.

T- Very good. Bite on the tongue tells me arrmirllo hops!!

M- Typical IPA. Not special

O- Very good. Will look for it on tap if I can get it. Nice to be in the US to get something good like this..

Food Pairing

This nice little IPA goes well with... Sushi

Enjoy!

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

I really enjoyed the offering from Red Hook, the first one of theirs that I have had. Great dark amber, almost caramel color that was appealing day and night. The smell was awesome, by far the best smelling IPA I've had - very fruity. The taste was great as well, strong flavors of citrus and spices. The only downer was the mouthfeel,to much bitter aftertaste for my liking. Otherwise a great beer. I'm looking forward to some more tonight.

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

I'm a huge IPA fan, really the only beer type I enjoy anymore. Red hook long hammer is a great IPA beer. I do not know why there are so many less favorable reviews on this beer. It is not the best IPA I've ever had, but it is in the top 5. For the price it is the best tied with Ranger. The only IPAs I enjoy more cost twice the price. So for an everyday beer, this is my go to.

I have learned there is a distinct difference between East coast and West coast IPAs. I live in Florida and have had some local brewed IPAs and must say I was disappointed. Super sour...like rancid grapefruit juice. I apparently prefer West coast IPA.

This beer begins and finishes smooth. Strong citrus and pine flavor that has the perfect balance. No bitter or sour notes. Extremely drinkable.

3.54/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very pale in complexion this poured a near straw yellow. The head was thick and creamy for avery short time before is was lost altogether.

The nose is clean with tea leaf and lemon, a bit of pine and some earthy herbal tones.

The flavor is clean as well with the same malt tea leaf, lemon, piney resin, herbal and floral hop notes and a dry caramel.

I do praise this for a superb drinkability, smooth readiness and a relatively low carbonated bite.

This beer is well suited to slam the 7 pct ABV and it takes very little room in your system for repeated beers.

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

I was in New Hampshire and went to the Red Hook brewery. They have a restaurant in the brewery and that is where I had this beer.

I like IPA's, when the server brought out the beer It had a crisp clean look to it, light but not too light in color. It smell okay, it did not knock me out but it did not impress me either, it was middle-of-the-road.
When I tasted it I did everything in my power not to spit it out. It was overly bubbly and felt like I was drinking a ginger ale.
The taste was overly bitter.

This is perhaps the second time I never finished a beer in my life. I wouldn't have this beer again.

2.97/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

For an IPA this is a poor beer. My scale is different in that I don't consider anything made with rice or corn a beer. So the really crappy stuff claiming to be beer isn't on my scale skewing the results. (e.g. Bud, Miller , Coors all have missing values - alternative would be negative numbers)

3.07/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance-- pours with a 3/4" head that dissipates rapidly. Considerable lacing. Golden color.

Aroma -- distinctive citrus and pine hop aroma.

Mouthfeel -- light to medium body. Slightly sticky.

Flavor -- a little unusual for an IPA in that the beginning and middle are bitter but the finish is sweet malts. Finish is mostly dry.

Overall -- very nice mild IPA

3.61/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Label says JAN 14 14.

A- Pours a light amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Somewhat resilient lacing streaks down the glass.

S- Hoppy aroma with citrus notes of grapefruit and lemon zest. Trailing malt sweetness.

T- Starts off decent with a moderate amount of bitterness but soon washes away to some stale bready malt and a weak aftertaste. After that, it's just an uneventful ride to the bottom of the glass. One-sided hop character and a teasing bitterness that's gone as soon as you taste it. Drinkable? Yes. Exciting? Not the least bit.

M- Thin, almost watery but with enough carbonation to not be a total failure. Lightish body.

O- Though it's not as horrible as the score would lead you to believe, there's not much here for someone who's used to more potent and lively IPAs. This will be my beer for guests for the next couple of weeks.

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

This ipa advertises itself as "bold;" perhaps they are referring to the fact that it is an ipa, it is not dark, and it does have a 6.2 abv. It advertises itself as heavily dry hopped, but that is simply not apparent in the front taste; in fact, the front taste is curiously absent. On the backside, you get your dryness and your hops, but not the satisfying bitter back a good hopped ipa will give you. On the other hand, despite the abv, this strikes me as a good session beer, where it's lack of full character is an advantage; it's really not so very bold. A decent value for the price, but not a beer that someone, looking for a new beer respect "wow" will savor without the question: "Where's the beer?"

3.46/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is perfectly fine. If you need a quick IPA and this is all that's on, grab it.

A: Great head retention w fat finger of healthy off-white head slowly lacing the glass.
S: Not much. What's there is creamy, flowery hops with a bit of pine.
T: Sweet, oily hop forward: part floral and part citric. Good with bitter-sweet, asian food.
MF: Sweet, creamy, smooth with a moderate body and nice carbonation. Good grassy finish.

Half way between APA and IPA, a solid staple. I'd drink it again.

3.76/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz into tulip glass. Pretty fresh, bottled a month to the day before consumption by me. Not sure why most folks dont like it, other than maybe its a subtler IPA than were used to. In any event, I like this beer, since it was pretty cheap for a single bottle ($1.30), and is something I could drink while skateboarding or at a party. Nicely done Redhook.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery