Microbrew Invitational

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,162 | Ratings: 3,206
1.51/5  rDev -53.4%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Golden, transparent, like a Macro-lager. This is not what most IPAs look like. Seems thin and weak. Head it OK, but definitely an overall below average appearance

Smell = Very unappealing. Reminds me of tuna fish with a bit of apples mixed in. Yuck. Not what I want in a beer. There's a bit of crispness to it but it doesn't save anything.

Taste= ugh..this is a terrible beer. It's sour and putrid without any dominant, clean hops. Tastes like these just squeezed a bunch of lemon juice into it and added some vodka. Terrible bitter, pungent aftertaste. This could possibly be the worst IPA i've ever had and is going down the drain.

Overall = AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

2.44/5  rDev -24.7%

Cloudy, murky orange colored. This beer poured and unbelievable, attractive 2 inch head with significant lacing.

Nose is slightly sour and hoppy with a burnt citrusy aroma.

Citrusy taste with a decent hop component but has the sour taste that many cask conditioned beer tend to have that turns me off on the mouthfeel and drinkability department.

Overall not a very good IPA but worth trying anything in cask.

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a clear golden color, thin head fades to a ring with moderate lacing.

There are hops present in the aroma, but they are at the way back, behind a caramel sweetness with some grains and citrus fruit. Seems pretty mild on the hops for an IPA.

Flavor is very mild, this is a very "easy" drinking IPA. This would be a great introductory beer for somebody just getting into IPA's. but for me, I'll grab it if it's on a good sale and I need a session beer for a Sunday afternoon.

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a light caramel, had to pour straight down the middle in order to produce a meaningful head on this one. Poured at 45 degrees for the first two I had in the six-pack, and almost no head formed. Nice lacing, very clear.

Smells of fresh hops... has another aroma in there somewhere unrelated to the hops that I associate with homebrew, but I can't pin it down.

Tastes like drinking a sweet hop tea. Little in the way of malt flavors going on. Hop flavor, followed by hop bitterness.

Not exceedingly drinkable... Needs more carbonation and more malt flavor, and a dryer finish. If nothing else, though, a good way to show non-beer-drinkers what hops actually taste like.
Mouthfeel is a little on the sweet side, and not as carbonated as I'd prefer. Long, bitter finish.

3.53/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle marked 011006, poured into a pint glass

A—pours clear, orangish yellow amber with ½ inch pillow like head that isn’t going anywhere, thick lacing coats most of the inside of the glass

S—bitter hops, citrus, spice, pepper, some sourness, maybe some sweetness, flowery, all of these fragrances are mixed together pretty well

T—pepper bitterness is strong, grapefruit is there, some sweet fruity flavors come out in the middle, finishes dry, the bitterness is really strong and dominate in this one

M—a little thin actually, light/medium bodied, good carbonation

D—not a bad IPA. I will enjoy the 6er I bought….probably 3 at a time.

3.09/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass the beer is a very pale amber. Almost golden, clear, almost looks like a macro lager. The beer had a thin head that faded to a small dollop on the liquid with a ring around the glass. Patchy lacing at best.

Smell: Aromas of hops. Smells more like an IPA than it looks. Scent of pine, a touch floral, and even a little citrousy (lemon zest). The smell has my hopes up.

Taste: Very one dimensional, all hop bitterness from the middle to the end. The bitterness is nice, not too over the top, but the piney, hops just get to me by the end.

Mouthfeel: Touch dry, clean finish without a lingering aftertaste. Lighter in body.

Drinkability: Not a terrible beer, just not a very good IPA in my book. I knew it would not be great but I like the ESB so I thought I'd give this a try. I was disappointed, even though I only paid 4.99. There are much better beers available for just a few $$ more.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

I'm surprised to see the reviews on this are as low as they are. I had this on tap at Five Spot on Euclid Ave. in Atlanta. Was a nice golden colour with a snow white head. A little cloudy. Had nice lacing. Big citrus hoppy smell. Lots of grapefruit / hops in the taste and a nice malty finish. I thought it was quite refreshing and very sessionable.

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours an orange to light golden color with a finger of white head that falls to a very light, but full coat over top. Clarity is excellent and just a few bubbles from the bottom are present. There is more lacing left as the head recedes than I wold expect. Nose is very fresh, with a wet hop character to it. Behind this, there is a moderate caramel and toasty bread character with a hint of orangey and peppery hop. Smells nice, just not as bold as I want my AIPA's to be. Flavor starts as a very solid melanoidan infused toastyness, moving to more caramel sweetness with a light citrusy hop that transitions to a peppery hop, finishing with a moderate, but clean, bitterness. A slight metallic bite hits, but doesn't stay on too long. The feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Good balance and feels about right. I'd still like to see a bit more brilliance from the hops. Its just lacking some of the pop that I like in American IPA's. Its not bad, just could become a better IPA with a different hop profile.

2.91/5  rDev -10.2%

Crisp, light amber pour with a decent, eggshell colored head that quickly settles to a thin ring, leaving scant laceing.

Aroma is light caramel grains, bread, and floral and grassy, herbal hops. Very little going on in this department.

Flavor is a decent balance between light malt and roast grain noted, and floral, light citrus, and herbal hop bitterness. Nasty metallic aftertaste is quite unappealing.

Body is almost medium, heavily carbonated and coarse. Overall, a very plain IPA that is suitable for quaffing when on a $5.50/6-pack budget.

3.77/5  rDev +16.4%

There are two Redhook IPA entries on BA-- one from each of their breweries. Since I had this on draft, I'm not quite sure which entry I should be reviewing. However, I'd guess that they're both made the same way.

This beer is pale, pale copper in color, crystal clear, with a low head. The nose shows bright, fresh, floral, and fruity PNW hops. I think "bouquet" is an appropriate word. That being said, it is a rather subdued bouquet. The aroma is fine-- I'd just like a little more of it. On the palate a sharp bitterness is followed up by sweet citrus hops and a nice, juicy (again, if kinda light) malt profile. The descent into the medium finish is smooth and easy, kinda like how this beer drinks. As others have pointed out, this is at the low end of what is to be considered an IPA, but I still found it to be perfectly drinkable.

3.62/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This must be what happened to Ballard Bitter. Did they change the name for marketing purposes?

A - perfectly clear orange/light amber. Sort of an orangey, glowing straw color. Head is thin but full, lots of tiny little bubbles. Little or no lacing.

S - smells pretty dang good, like an American IPA should. Lots of citrusy, grapefruity notes. Smells like an orange rind. Also some floral esters in there, as well as toasty malt, biscuits, yeast.

T - solid amount of bitterness in this one, but lacking balance. Tart, tangy, grapefruity hops hit you in the mouth and stay there. But little malt flavor, a little thin after the hops. Good strong bitterness, but no sweet compliment.

M - thin bodied, carbonation seems a bit high to me. A little fizzy.

D - a decent, tasty brew. Something to have at a bar when you don't find more adventerous micros. But this beer is missing something as far as malt body goes. Basically an 'above average' beer, which is why I gave it a lot of 3.5's.

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

12oz bottle, this bottle of mine looks like a new much more fresh design.

Appearance: Slightly orange/golden clear. Decent size white head.

Smell: Slightly citrusy hop like aroma. Faint hint of malts.

Mouthfeel: Light body, fairly carbonated but not overly so.

Taste: Poor hop flavor and a slight malty sweetness on the finish. Looking back over my beer drinking days it is obvious to me now that way back when I first began drinking it was supposed IPA's like this that completely turned me off of liking the style. Today IPA is one of my favorite styles and this was a complete waste of cash.

Drinkability: This could be a session beer for anyone who can get past the taste.

Overall I couldn't have been dissappointed more. I typically drink a Stone IPA or a Victory HopDevil, as these two IPAs are IMO delicious and are available in my area regularly. The RedHook IPA was the only thing called an IPA in the store so I grabbed it hoping to get a hop fix and my lord it was everything but a fix, I needed a hop fix even more after drinking it, good thing I had a Hop Wallup in the fridge. Not recommended by me.

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

This is what happens when you are in a beer bar and you let a"friend" order for you while you hit the head. The bartender was in on it with him and it was served in a pilsner glass. Odd I thought that looks way to dark to be a pilsner, they wouldn't tell me what it was. So I smelled and it was citrusy with a lot of biscuit maltyness, IPA thought I and they laugh at me. I had a few sips and found it not too bad but the flavor was what you would expect from a middle of the road IPA and when I said that it was ok but only so-so they told me what i was dirnking. I have had this many times before but it was not and has never been bad, just so-so. And so it remains easy to drink IPA with nothing remarkable about it.

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

This beer poured very clear orange/tan body with a small white head that died rather quickly.

Nose was a bit dull. Hints of citrus hops with a sharp biscuit malt flavor.

Taste was of chewy biscuit and mild caramel malt. A really big citrus peel and pine resin hop taste with a surprisingly intense bitterness that lingers for some time. Actual body was light to medium.

A mediocre IPA, not as bad as some reviews make it out to be. It sort of tastes like an decently hopped piney IPA made with a slightly bigger BMC malt base. The bottle shows 6.5% ABV, so obviously it seems they've been working on this beer since the old version. It's drinkable, but again, pretty mediocre.

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Minimal head is formed and then quickly leaves the scene. Nice carbonation action in the beer. Golden in color.

Smell was a bit rancid. Didnt smell like the beer was old or bad, just not a pleasing aroma. Smelled a bit like brussel sprouts and even a little corn aroma as well. Smelled closer to a lager than an IPA. Didnt get that fruity hop smell. Nice malt aroma but too much malt for an IPA in my opinion.

Taste was just average. Nothing stood out. Minimal hop profile. Fairly light bodied. Nice carbonation in the mouthfeel. An average IPA. Have had worse but there are definitely better offerings out there.

Most redeeming quality of this beer is that it is quite enjoyable as I sit on my back deck on this 72 degree day here in NC.

2.78/5  rDev -14.2%

Nose is midly hoppy. Not nearly as strong as other IPAs. Taste is also quite mild for an IPA. Hops are present, but not very notable. A very mild IPA. This lends slightly to its drinkability since your mouth won't be overly hopped after a couple. Overall, not a good example of the style.

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%

appearance: Pours a .25" white head. The beer is orange-golden in color.

smell: The hop aroma is a mixture of green hops and boiled hop matter, kinda tealike. Some hints of citrus and floral tropical fruit. Not much malt character save for some caramel, the sweetness is moderate.

mouthfeel: Carbonation is medium, and the body on the light side of the medium range.

taste: A tealike, boiled hop character comprises the hop flavor. Some caramel malt gives a light sweetness. A moderate bitterness comes in for the finish.

drinkability: ok, but not a good beer

Bottled on 01/04/06

2.76/5  rDev -14.8%

I have fond memories of drinking this stuff at the Ballard brewery when visiting an old childhood friend. It is therefore disappointing to report that this beer is so undistinguished when poured out of the bottle in you own home. Not much head, and repeated attempts at discerning an aroma didn't get very far. It is certainly an easy-to-quaff IPA with a low alcohol content and minimal bitterness.

I guess I'd prefer to drink a good pale ale over this faint-hearted IPA.

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

12 oz. bottle purchased for $5.99 per sixer at Supermarket

A: Probably the only good quality of this beer...filtered clarity. I think they took some flavor away with the filters. Head was thin and disappeared quickly.

S: Faint cirtus aroma...enough not to scare away the bud light drinkers.

T: Very little going on here. A hint of crystal malt flavor balanced with a sprinkle of cascade hops. More of a hop tea than a beer. 6.5% alcohol? Where? I don't get any alcohol warming.

M: Thin and watery...some IPA's should be if only base malt is used, but this beer obvioulsy has some dextrin malts added to the grist. Mouthfeel suffers from undercarbonation as well.

D: Well, if you like hoppy American Light Lagers, this beer is for you.

O: This is NOT an IPA. This is a poor interpretation of an American Pale Ale. Thanks BudHook for further confusing the beer drinking public. Now those beer neophytes will think this is what real beer tastes like.

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

hazy golden with very little head but good lacing.

appetizing citrus/lemon zest aroma.

taste is refreshing and lighter than the more extreme side of the ipa scale. very balanced between hop bitterness and flavor. fairly long finish.

nothing too wild compared to the other ipas around.

3.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours clear and golden with a decent head and retention. Huge fresh hop essences in the nose - piney, resinous, and slightly grassy - nice. Hop flavor and prominent bitterness carry over to the palate. Balance definitely accented towards hops. Malt is somewhat low and the finish is dry. Overall not a bad IPA, very drinkable.

As an aside, I often buy Redhook products when I need bottles for my homebrew, as the simple single label on the unembossed bottles will virtually float off with immersion in warm water.

2.18/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

~Pours a clearish golden amber, agressive head shrunk pretty quick, but lacing is pretty decent.
~Aroma is hoppy and piney. More piney.
~WTF. IPA? More like an amber or something. Hops are piney, but not in that nice lovely way. More like in the Pine-sol cleaner type way. in fact, thats pretty much what it tastes like. Right away isn't so bad, but it makes me cringe as it develops. 'develops.' I don't waste beer, but this one might accidentally get poured down my drain.
~Mouthfeel isn't so bad, a little oily and pretty agressive carbonation.
~No. Do not drink this beer. I usually don't slam beers,but unless you mean to punish yourself....

Pours a bright golden hue topped by a wispy, creamy white head. Aroma is mainly that of lightly sweet malt, a touch of honey, and a very light hint of hops. Palate balances light sweet malt and mild fruity hops, with a vague sour character on the finish. Medium body is adequate and holds the flavor well. I'll just put it out there: there is nothing special about this beer.

3.39/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A very light,too light for my taste,gold color with a very,very,small head.The is very hoppy.The taste,like the smell,is very hoppy and ends with a bitter taste that's almost bitter.The m/f is light and a little watery.Not a bad brew,but there's room for improvement.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured a hazy gold with a small head. The head covered the top of the glass all the way down and left some nice lacing. Some hops smell, The taste was good, but not great. Some bitterness, but not the hop flavor I have come to expect with Harpoon or Hop Hog. The beer had a nice feel to it , not too watery and no unpleasant aftertaste. I guess you could call it balanced, but I was expecting more hops flavor. Drinkability was good, if this was the available beer, I would have no problem with having several more. Given the choice, there are a few APA's and IPA's I would choose over this one.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery