Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
jellikit

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: golden with a thin head. No lacing. Little yeast sediment in bottom of bottle.

Smell: Not very much aroma.

Taste: Hop dominated. Hops are bitter and tar-like. Very little malt flavor

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is sufficient for style. Bitterness from hops lingers in mouth for quite a while.

Overall: meh. Not well balanced. Bitter with a long finish.

08-29-2012 02:09:16 | More by jellikit
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle from the Portsmouth NH brewery marked 051909. Sampled on September 25, 2009. It pours more orange-amber than anything else with a slight haze and a nice foamy white head. The aroma is uniquely floral more than hoppy. Maybe there is a vague yeast scent in there too. The mouthfeel is about medium. The hops are way more evident in the taste than in the aroma, which makes it kind of nice.

09-26-2009 03:02:43 | More by puboflyons
Dukeofearl

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Last of a six pack purchased at LaBodega in Riverside, CA in August 2007. 12 ounces, price unknown.

Pours a chill hazed orange-golden. Almost no head.

Aroma if slightly sweet malt base, and citrusy hops. Flavor follows through, although the hops are a mix of flowery-citrusy and sharper, harsher bitter hops. Actually a decent blend. I'm not a big fan of oily weedy piney hops, and this one keeps from going there.

Overall a decent choice.

09-25-2007 01:20:07 | More by Dukeofearl
rtratzlaff

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a clear light amber beer with 1/4" head that dissipates after a couple sips and a several minutes. The smell is light to moderate hoppiness (pine and citrus). The taste is pretty good with the hops coming a bit stronger than the smell let on. Mouthfeel is lighter than most. I could go for this again if lack of choice forced me to (as it did last night). Nothing stands out about this beer, just a normal ipa a bit lighter on the hops.

06-15-2006 13:13:00 | More by rtratzlaff
gopens44

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Solid yellow and a touch hazy with a lazy slightly off white foamy head that may have reached a finger.

S - Piney hops overpowered most anything else

T - Like the nose,the pine scent of the hops breaks through first with a bit of a malty finish. Maybe some old fashioned licorice taste lingering around.

M - Highly carbonated with a dry finish that doesn't have too much aftertaste. Some, not a ton though.

O - Lots of distaste for this it seems, but it wasn't altogether too bad. Good for a casual beer pick up from time to time when the selection isn't great.

04-21-2011 19:32:02 | More by gopens44
MTNboy

Germany

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

It has a light bronze almost brass colored body. It ahs a little bit of off white head and nice lace. It has a very floral bitter grassy aroma with fruity and herbal tones. It crisp and bitter but not sour as some mass produced IPA's tend to be. It has some fruity sweetness. It is not a hopheads dream but I thought it was alright. Light with some bite to it.

11-21-2008 17:24:27 | More by MTNboy
shroompod

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear golden color. Smallish head is gone quick. Carbonation is apparent.

Smell doesn't have a lot detectable to me, could be allergies.

Taste is very light on the hops bitterness , very little malt profile. This beer seems closer to an American Pale Ale, than an Indian variety.

Mouthfeel is thin, crisp.

Drinkability of this beer is pretty good if your looking to cool down, the high ABV's keep it from being sessionable .

06-19-2007 00:02:31 | More by shroompod
SurlyDuff

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Hit Redhook up for their seasonals, you shant be dissapointed, but this IPA is just subpar in every respect.

It's watery and mild in many respects. Aroma is weak for an ipa. Some grassy bitterness, but thats it.

Short and sugary sweet finish, not at all impressive. Bleh. Chewy aftertaste, but some florals in there that add some character. It's approachable, as far as IPAs go, and perhaps one of the most drinkable, but just because of it's light flavor.

Infact... got an idea for you RedHook!!! Label this a LITE IPA!!! Boom, instant hit in the mass market.

09-27-2008 01:31:02 | More by SurlyDuff
mooseisloose

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours to a pale yellow. Smell is hoppy and honey sweet. Light lacy head. Mouthfeel has good carbonation, not too much but enough. Taste is hops and hops and more hops. Tastes like cascades throughout. Good IPA Standard and flavorful. I've heard alot of people knock this beer due to is production size but if this is the "macro" of IPA's, I would still drink it anytime, anywhere.

10-27-2007 17:16:19 | More by mooseisloose
badbilly30

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pretty much clear, dark yellow with not much head but enough lacing to at least rate average. Smelled grainy and not very IPAish. No real pine or hops smell that I could detect. not that hoppy or piney like I would expect from an IPA. Some citrus and grainy flavors. A bit of malt. Still, it’s not overly bitter so I’ll rate it average. Somewhat watery and not especially bitey like I like my IPAs. Average at best.

03-25-2012 20:48:29 | More by badbilly30
SupaCelt

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

"Ya Sure Ya Betcha" shouted the bottle of Redhook Ballard Bitter, I mean IPA, I mean what the hell is this again?

Appearance: A hazed orange color with a short lived cap of white fluff. Not much lacing to speak of. Fat carbonation fart bubbles.

Smell: Mostly grainy with a vague hint of pine. It entertains the thought of honey and barley congregating. Smells just like an "un-American IPA" smells. This is probably better classed with the English India Pale Ales. Scaled down hop persona.

Taste: This really does come off like one of the old timey IPA's. Mostly grainy malt characters, but with a slightly exaggerated hop bitterness. Honey impression again. *Now that I have finished my drink, I will say that the flavours became more pronounced as the vessel warmed in my greasy little hand. Still, they just lacked authority. All this old chap needs is to go all the way and be a real American ( like Hulk Hogan :o ) instead of being the American IPA who talks with an English accent. Keep it real!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is just a bit round without any sharp bite notable. About medium weight.

Drinkability: This bloke is undoubtedly consumable. Nothing offensive here, just a mild mannered brew you could drink copious amounts of while enjoying a good meal.

05-03-2005 06:44:44 | More by SupaCelt
Domino

08-16-2014 05:29:32 | More by Domino
kegerator

Maryland

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

this was decent. I don't know it seems like all IPAs start to taste the saem to me..
anyway.
this one was strange cuz it poured out a slightly hazy yellow with nice head. reminded me of bud based on the looks.
smell was nothign special, hoppy, slight citrus notes and a little bit of a malty background
taste was about the same but seemed to ba tad too bitter for my taste. mouthfeel was good but slightly watery and thin. its quite drinkable but in my opinion not worth the 7 bucks a 6 I paid for it.

07-14-2004 13:33:18 | More by kegerator
garymuchow

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Just looking for a nice drinkable Am. IPA. Scores don't indicate that this fits that bill.
Initially a lager yeast quality with some citrus (lime and lemon). Upon closer inspection a little more sweetness from hops and malts with a mild spritziness. Generally quite soft altogether though.
Head is a little small, but nice and white. Adequately clear for style, yellow gold and lots and lots of bubbles. Dripping lacing.
Hop flavors with more subdued bitterness, although what is there lingers endlessly with a decent enough flavor. Good malt sweetness up front, yet still a hop dominant beer. Hop flavors do push towards harshness at times, but its generally reigned in enough for my tastes. Nice flavor changes throughout the drink.
Carbonated nicely holding a smoothness in a moderately yet lightly bodied beer.
Other than the times in which the harshness substitutes for flavor I don't have a lot of problems with this beer. Drinks well and holds several appealing flavors.

12-03-2009 03:07:09 | More by garymuchow
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pale amber color-decent head though seems flat in the glass actually. Fairly hoppy aroma. Hoppy flavor-fair amount of hops and a citrus quality thats almost lemony. Could use more malt body and flavor. Decent level of bitterness. Finish is a bit astringent. Ok body. Overall a notch above average.

03-30-2007 21:27:37 | More by lackenhauser
ferrari29

Beer poured from bottle into a Nonic shaped Pint glass

A - Beer pours with a light clear copper colored body; nice one finger size white colored head; dissipated rather quickly, but left behind a nice ring of lacing around the glass; not much visible carbonation

S - Smells of hops; there is plenty of citrus notes in this beer; slightly strong and not very overwhelming; somewhat of a caramel back-end but very light; hints more at a creamy and soapy pine note; pretty smooth

T - Mostly sweet caramel, sugary flavor; not much of a hop, pine or citrus blast; I taste more sugar in this drink than most American IPA's; could use more bite, but is pretty smooth for a beer lacking much flavor

M - Slightly creamy and effervescent; nice touch of hop bitter aftertaste, but it withers away after a while

D - Good, light hop flavored beer; nice for a beginners in the craft; not to heavy but good

09-04-2011 05:42:21 | More by ferrari29
TheTrevor

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer poured a light amber with very little head. The smell reminded me of yeast with just a touch of floral hops. The taste was smooth and a little sweet with a hops taste that are very present but without any real bitterness. The mouthfeel was pretty average but I'd say the beer is very drinkable. I wouldn't put it high on my list of IPAs, but I can see myself picking up a six-pack to keep in the fridge if I can find it for cheap enough.

10-22-2007 19:00:25 | More by TheTrevor
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours an orange to light golden color with a finger of white head that falls to a very light, but full coat over top. Clarity is excellent and just a few bubbles from the bottom are present. There is more lacing left as the head recedes than I wold expect. Nose is very fresh, with a wet hop character to it. Behind this, there is a moderate caramel and toasty bread character with a hint of orangey and peppery hop. Smells nice, just not as bold as I want my AIPA's to be. Flavor starts as a very solid melanoidan infused toastyness, moving to more caramel sweetness with a light citrusy hop that transitions to a peppery hop, finishing with a moderate, but clean, bitterness. A slight metallic bite hits, but doesn't stay on too long. The feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Good balance and feels about right. I'd still like to see a bit more brilliance from the hops. Its just lacking some of the pop that I like in American IPA's. Its not bad, just could become a better IPA with a different hop profile.

03-17-2006 02:12:06 | More by kmpitz2
vikingmike

Ontario (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

I'm a bit surprised at some of the low reviews here. Maybe its just me, but I really enjoyed this beer!

Appearance: A misty, beautiful golden orange colour

Smell: Some faint fruitiness here.

Taste: Moderate hop bitterness. Hides its 6.5% alcohol very well, I think. Some fruits come to mind...almost like a mixture of banana and tangerine. The bitterness lingers around and the aftertaste is really nice.

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth.

Overall: I could easily see myself going through 6 of these. True, I don't know why they stamped IPA on the bottle but altogether this was a thoroughly enjoyable brew

10-24-2008 12:31:10 | More by vikingmike
nickfl

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Two fingers of white head with good retention. Copper color and (much to my surprise) signifigant, particulate and chill haze.

S - A little bit of peppery hop aroma and sweet malt. Bready and yeasty.

T - Nice spicy/ resiny hop flavor. Nice bready malt and smooth bitterness in the finish.

M - Dry and clean with a bit of astringency.

D - Easyly sessionable beer. Has a reasonable amount of hop character, but the aroma is lackluster and the haze is quite bad and surprising from a fairly large craft brewery. Overal it is an ok beer.

09-08-2007 00:56:10 | More by nickfl
Huffs

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass, nice full head developed. Lasted and laced well with a nice creamy look and feel. Appearance was golden to amber and cloudy. Aroma was malty with a hint of caramel, hop on the back. Taste had a nice malt / hop balance with caramel and slight citrus notes. Mouthfeel was creamy and full with a lingering, yet dry aftertaste of grain.

04-20-2013 22:20:56 | More by Huffs
Chaz

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

A firm pour into a half-liter mug offers up a voluminous pale tan head of very good duration and lacing. Pale golden in color and brilliant, no yeasty beasties here. Nose is positively delicate, with flowery hops affecting notes of white pepper, and light golden fruit implied by the biscuity, pale malt. A lightly crisp, tingling hop bite is my first sip impression, and it's a gentle one at that. It blends well with the malt, but isn't as spicey as the Pacific Northwest hop-bombs I'm accustomed to in the style, so color me surprised. Lighter in body and fairly light on the mouthfeel, too. I appreciated a mild sweetness here, but almost would've preferred a bit more body/sweetness/booze (and at 6.5% this beer is rather dangerously drinkable*). Pleasing floral hop aromatics and bitterness linger more in the manner of a Yankee rendition of a British IPA, which I also find interesting and worth noting. Very mild fruit and vegetal notes also impress themselves as this warms, and the dryness in the finish is definitely worth noting, but ultimately I'm left with the impression that this needs "more of something" in order to convince me. Don't get me wrong, as this is a stylistic departure from Ballard Bitter (or what used to be, anyway), but it's getting to the point where I need to be convinced by Redhook these days (am I the only person who feels that Copperhook and Sunrye just don't cut it?) I'm also left with the impression that if they ramped up the malts and hops on Long Hammer it could make for the basis of a well-balanced Imperial IPA, and in that sense I think they're on to something with this recipe. But you see where I say it's "dangerously drinkable" up above? ( * ) The main problem with this beer as it stands is I wouldn't want to have more than one in a sitting: it's almost like "an American IPA for folks that *don't like* American IPAs", hence my impression of being unconvinced. In other words, this is BudHook at its finest.

05-13-2007 19:53:48 | More by Chaz
industrialswill

6 pack for $5.99 at Fred Meyers
October 2011...just over 2 months old.
Deep yellow-gold with average amount of foam and carbonation.
Smells kind of like a strong pale ale or lager..kind of looks like one too.
Blindfolded, I'm not sure if I could say that this is an IPA or not. It is tasty and very enjoyable, but in a "Sam Adams Boston Lager" sort of way.
This is good beer, but lacking the overall intensity that I associate with IPAs.
For $5.99, you could do far worse with your beer dollar.

12-23-2011 04:29:05 | More by industrialswill
CplHunter

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle: Modern label. I've always enjoyed Red Hook's label style here. Bottled on 12-18-06 (more on this later).

A: Pours a clear light honey color. Small, perfectly sized frothy head which dissipates slowly into a small, clingy, broken lace. Excellent, unending carbonation. Very nice head for an IPA. Very appealing.

S: Hops hit me first. Some orange peel in there? Slightly. More hops. Overall a light unoverpowering scent. It wouldn't scare away a macro drinker.

T: Pleasantly hopped. A tad bit of sweetness. The taste buds are hinting at sour, but I'm not tasting it. Rather weak hoppiness for an IPA. Bitterness lingers, but not as strongly as I had expected. Bitter doesn't really come through strongly until well after the finish. Longer in the glass, the sour comes through, but only slightly. Well balanced, if light.

M: Carbonation hits the sides and front of the tongue when sipped. Not too dry. Comfortable. Nothing else remarkable here.

D: Quite tasty...quenching, perhaps. I think I'll have another.

Summary: I would definitely like to try this beer on a hot summer's afternoon. It's not your typical IPA, in that the hops don't take charge of the rest of the beer. While that may be appealing to some taste-wise, it's not what I expected. Nonetheless, it certainly has it's place in my arsenal. I think this is a good beer for introduction of macro-drinkers into the IPA realm. It's not overpoweringly bitter, and it goes down easy. However, it packs a wallop alc%-wise.

BIA (Buy It Again?): Absolutely...especially at the $2.99/six pack that I got it for this time! It may be "old" (3 whole months), but it's an IPA! (Don't tell the liquor stores our dirty little secret!)

03-24-2007 03:48:56 | More by CplHunter
ReebShorts

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear golden color, thin head fades to a ring with moderate lacing.

There are hops present in the aroma, but they are at the way back, behind a caramel sweetness with some grains and citrus fruit. Seems pretty mild on the hops for an IPA.

Flavor is very mild, this is a very "easy" drinking IPA. This would be a great introductory beer for somebody just getting into IPA's. but for me, I'll grab it if it's on a good sale and I need a session beer for a Sunday afternoon.

04-20-2006 05:29:53 | More by ReebShorts