Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,019 | Reviews: 1,182
4.19/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

In my opinion, Long Hammer is an easy-drinking, tasteful ale. Is it one of the best IPAs on the market? No, but it's been one of my top-10 beers for five years or so, and I don't see that changing in the future. Honestly, to me it is more of an APA than an IPA.

Redhook (and realistically all Craft Brew Alliance beers) are hit-or-miss, but Long Hammer is a solid brew to me. I can see this being a solid transition beer for people entering the IPA realm.

Very drinkable, good taste, not too heavy, affordable.

4.18/5  rDev +27.8%

Bought of six pack of this as soon as I saw it.
Poured into a pint glass. Seems a bit light in the body color. Dark yellow/straw. Some hints of orange or burgundy. Light fluffy head, almost like a Czech pilsner.
Smells light. A bit of hops is present. Not very piney or citrus. Can make out the malt and some biscuit, slightly.
Taste comes through with the hops. Not overpowering and very gradual. A nice movement from the sweet malt to the dry hop range. Not too much pine or citrus, just about right.
Drinks well, nothing too strong or weak.

4.17/5  rDev +27.5%

Long Hammer IPA has a medium-to-thick, off-white, foamy head, and a cloudy, orange appearance, with moderate carbonation and fuzzy, white particulate matter floating throughout. The aroma is all citrus hops, and the taste is hop heavy as well, but some breadiness is detected in the middle. Mouth-feel is even bodied, and Long Hammer IPA finishes wet and spicy. I found this ale to be mild and interesting. It's worth a try.

RJT

4.15/5  rDev +26.9%

From bottle to glass golden color with small head.
a: Golden color, 1 finger width head
s: Mild citrus smell
t: Wonderful taste, no bitterness, or aftertaste
m: Medium body, with no aftertaste
o: Exceptional beer, very refreshing, with a very smooth taste

Sampled this beer while on vacation in Florida, will buy when in Rhode Island.

4.15/5  rDev +26.9%

A- Pours a nice corn yellow, to a light gold. Decent head that didn't stick around long. Lacing was fairly strong and stuck around for the duration of the beer.
S- At the crack of the bottle I was pretty impressed... nice combination of pine, grapefruit smelling hops. As it was poured it became less strong, but still pretty good.
T- Taste was great. Perhaps not as strong as some other IPA's that I have had, but having said that, it makes it remarkably refreshing. Nothing sticks around in this beer... taste dissipates fairly quickly.
D- This is a very drinkable beer, and I look forward to this beer in the summer. At 6.5%, this beer will go down very smoothly in the warm weather.

4.15/5  rDev +26.9%

12oz. bottled 040307 stamped at the bottom front label.
Pours a clear golden color with a thick head of large off white bubbles. Aroma is pine and citrus. A bit perfume like. Instantly creamy perception upon sipping. Interesting. Flavor is not as intense as the aroma, minus the perfume quality, but follows suit. Mild bitterness brings up the rear. Not a rip your face off IPA. Just a nice, enjoyable hoppy IPA. On the cheep side too by comparison.

Best Budget IPA

Amber/copper brown to orange in color. I am happy to say that this is a diamond in the rough.

I had heard that this beer was not too good from the store employees, but my satisfaction was immense

Smell: hop, pine, and hemp. Very herbal in scent!

Taste: pine, oak, and hop! Smooth finish from the malt

Mouthfeel: Barely carbonated!

Overall, this is a brilliant beer! Try it today.

4.15/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours a bright amber color with excellent head and lacing. Big aroma of plenty of grapefruity hops, flowery and citrusy and very appetizing. Flavor is a tasty mix of biscuit malt and perfumy bitterness, lightly fruity, finishing with forcible dryness. Moderate, neutral body.

Is this the Ballard Bitter repackaged? It's been several years since I had the classic old Ballard, but I don't recall it having any of the delicious hop character that this beer displays. Very nice.

4.15/5  rDev +26.9%

On tap at Lord Stanley's annex in Dekalb, Illinois.

Pours gold, light for an APA but very pretty and sparkly. The bartender didn't put a head on it but the large amount of lacing seemed to suggest that there would have been one, had it been properly poured.

Smells of a very nice, citrusy blend of two or three west coast hops and a medium strength caramel and sugar malt. Nice balance, just strong enough.

Tastes almost exactly like it smells. Very well balanced and easy drinking in spite of its high level of flavor.

4.12/5  rDev +26%

I'm a huge IPA fan, really the only beer type I enjoy anymore. Red hook long hammer is a great IPA beer. I do not know why there are so many less favorable reviews on this beer. It is not the best IPA I've ever had, but it is in the top 5. For the price it is the best tied with Ranger. The only IPAs I enjoy more cost twice the price. So for an everyday beer, this is my go to.

I have learned there is a distinct difference between East coast and West coast IPAs. I live in Florida and have had some local brewed IPAs and must say I was disappointed. Super sour...like rancid grapefruit juice. I apparently prefer West coast IPA.

This beer begins and finishes smooth. Strong citrus and pine flavor that has the perfect balance. No bitter or sour notes. Extremely drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev +26%

Dazzling golden-yellow color. Very very hazy. One finger of puffy white head. Looks summery but we'll just see about that. Some nice lace.

Excellent woody hop smell. Combination of woody with a hint of flowers. It's sweet and doesn't try too hard to woo this old hophead. Really unexpectedly good. Balanced pale malt

Good balance of pale malt flavor vs the nice piney hop. It's sweet at first and then bitter at the end. Really a nice IPA that doesn't overdo the hops.

Good thickness, creamy and a tad bouncy but not too bubbly. A really nice pale, woody IPA. And a good value.

4.12/5  rDev +26%

i picked up a growler and took it out on the disk golf course, this was reel good when your hot and it had a punch, 6.5 %, i dident know going into the round, by the 15th hole this beer took a hold on me and i couldent throug strate to save my life, on anouther note the flaver was ok, but the middle was just a bit off, maby a little to bitter to fast then nuthing all and all i liked it though

4.12/5  rDev +26%

They say that Long Hammer dates back to 1984 and is actually the original Ballard Bitter that's been revisited and repackaged. I won't refute that, but it seems like a stretch to add a touch of dry hopping and reinvent a bitter as an IPA. Those of us who recall the old Ballard Bitter (Ya, Sure, Ya Betcha) have a tough time reconciling that the two are even remotely related. They would outwardly appear to have no more in common than a Prius and a DeSoto.

Redhook frequently offers Long Hammer on cask at their Forecaster's Pub. The cask pour emits a luscious floral hop aroma on a bright copper body with modest haze and airy suds. The flavor is dominated by classic pine-citrus notes courtesy of Cascade and Willamette hops. It also hints at mandarin orange and is not overly bitter. The conditioned body is serene and inviting.

I've also drunk bottled Long Hammer and found it to be among the more palatable of the inexpensive, widely distributed IPAs. The abundance of low reviews here is puzzling, as this is a perfectly fine ale. In addition, it's available everywhere, often at favorable prices.

4.11/5  rDev +25.7%

Nice depth of flavor.... You can taste the extra dry hopping added. Really nice IPA

4.11/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Color - Pale Amber

Aroma - Hoppy

Palate - Hoppy, on the bitter side

Overall - Decent IPA

4.1/5  rDev +25.4%

Crisp in a good way, very tasty Pale Ale

4.08/5  rDev +24.8%

Just another average I.P.A.

4.08/5  rDev +24.8%

I had this beer almost three years ago and wasn't impressed. A few weeks ago I bought a six-pack for a party and was shocked at how good the beer was. I'm not sure if this has been re-formulated or I'm simply getting fresher beer: thanks to the bottled-on date, I can tell this is good.

It's a nice light gold color with a foamy white head. It has a light aroma of hops.

In my previous review I wrote "Lots of hop flavor and bitterness muscle out the malt flavor." That's pretty much true again, but it's just better. I'm not noticing any of the funky smells or flavors I wrote about in 2003. It's heavy on wonderful citrus and pine-like hop flavors. Good stuff, this.

This is a good, solid hoppy beer that's not too expensive and is widely available. If you're looking for hops and don't want to drop a lot of dough, I would recommend this brew. If you haven't tried it in a while, give it another chance.

4.07/5  rDev +24.5%

This is not the best IPA I've ever had, but as an easily accessible IPA I love it. The color is a golden brown with a very floral nose. As for the taste, it has a very sharp hop bite that finish very cleanly, no questionable after taste. I enjoy it with a meal or on it's own.

4.07/5  rDev +24.5%

I was surprised by the bad reviews for this beer. Kind of upset that the bros ripped on this one. Then when they give advise on reviewing a beer they ask you to use positive critism.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden straw color. Not much head, thin white settles to a few patches.

Aroma: Floral, piney, malty. Good hop aroma, balanced out with sweet smelling hops. Syrupy sweet malt smell. Goes good together.

Taste: Good balance of malt and hops. Sweet at first then a nice bitter somewhat dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick syrupy. Lightly carbonated.

Drinkablility: I could drink many of these. A good hop presence for an IPA that isn't too dominating. Nice tasty hops without being too extravagant.

4.07/5  rDev +24.5%

A: Golden orange with a off white head that leans towards the same orange hue. It looks nice and foamy from the top, but there is minimum retention and it is thin and fading. Good lacing though. Nice tight bubbles. Beer is a little hazy too though. That's a begrudgingly low score.

S: Strong, sort of general west coast hop aroma. I'm getting a blend of citrus and piney hops, I can't really pick it out. Smells a little softened by age as well. I really like it. Appropriate strength and everything. A good malt to back it up.

T: Taste is similar to the smell, but kinda washed out. Still a nice hop-leaning balance. Very appropriate for an IPA. More in the English style with American hops. I really like it, I think I will start recommending it to people. It's accessible but I good example of the style.

M: Pretty nice, but a little too neat. I expect an IPA to be a little dirty, give me some, I don't know, funny feeling on my tongue. This was just too clean and easy going.

D: A super drinkable IPA to me, but I'm not a hop head. But still, I like it a lot.

4.07/5  rDev +24.5%

On cask at the Brewpub in Portsmouth.

The beer pours a peachy orange color with fair head retention and OK lacing. On the nose I get a goodly amount of citrus and pepper, with a hint of green tobacco. Flavors replicate the nose in this very smooth, very drinkable IPA. The bitterness is dialed down a bit with the cask conditioning, but this beer is quite well balanced and is very, very drinkable. On the cask, this almost comes across as a British style IPA, and a pretty good one in fact. There is some bitterness, but it really doesn't dominate the flavor profile.

I know it's fashionable to put these guys down, but this beer surprised me. Nothing wrong with this at all, and I'd happily order it again.

4.07/5  rDev +24.5%

This was a very pleasant surprise. It was several months past its prime and I was drinking it more or less to clear it out of my beer fridge. My brother aptly dubbed it a 'mercy killing'. My expectations were pretty low especially in light of the previous RedHooks I'd rated.

This baby poured a deep golden straw color with a one-finger off white head. Lacing was a bit weak but it was present nonetheless.

On the nose I got bready sweetness and some bright herb.

Medium bodied and the taste was excellent. First impressions were crisp and bitter. But then this stong malt presence rolled up on me and pulled it all into perfect balance. Some caramel for sure. Exceptionally well balanced. Smooth and bitter at the same time.

There's a dry quick finish to it that leaves the taste of caramel and dry grain husk. I could drink these all day.

4.06/5  rDev +24.2%

beer pours a very nice golden color with a white head. lacing is in rings as the beer is consumed.

aroma is very nice, pine and citrus hops in the forefront and a nice bready malt component also.

taste matches the aroma, a pretty good if not understated IPA, definitely not a hop monster like many of the more highly rated and popular IPAs on this site.

mouthfeel is perhaps a bit thin for the style but not bad.

overall, a very drinkable beer, not the best ever but I think better than the reputation it gets here.

4.05/5  rDev +23.9%

New label (green and blue), probably new recipe after merger with Widmer - much better than previous bottling. Drank it out of the bottle, so can't comment on appearance. Good hops. Slightly flinty, metallic taste, with a bit of pine, touch of citrus. Some bitterness. Very refreshing. Enjoyable to drink alone or with seafood dinner.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery