Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

an ok beer but nothing great. color was a little light as well was the head. tasted a little less hoppy than i would expect for an IPA with just a tuch of citrus.body felt a little thin drinkability was ok though. all in all I would'nt pick this one unless choices were limited.

BeerTaster, Sep 23, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Got this one without a lot of options at a local non-craft brew bar in DC. Poured your standard looking copper color, some bubbles, but fairly weak head. Nose is hops, some light fruitiness. Taste is likewise, although a little bit maltier than I expected. It's actually not nearly as bad as I guessed. Feel is pretty weak, though. Too carbonated, kind of just "fizzy," rather than full. Overall, a very mediocre IPA, although not nearly as bad as I guessed. I only had one though.

soupyman10, Feb 06, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Serving type: 12-ounce can. “SEP1412” is written on the bottom, which I assume is the canning date. Yikes.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is hazy gold. Two fingers of fluffy, white head left an even skim and ring around the edge.

Smell: Floral hops and bready malts. Given the age of the can, I assume most of the hops have fallen out. However, there are hints of grapefruit citrus.

Taste: Decent mouthfeel and floral hops offer a nice bitterness. Bready malts, hints of orange and grapefruit.

Drinkability: Meh. It does not help that this can is almost six months old (I need to be much more vigilant in the beer aisle), but this is not keeping pace with competitors. I will need to try a fresher can in the future, though.

TheQuietMan22, Mar 10, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

pours a slightly cloudy med. gold w/ a decent white head that settles a bit quick leaving a moderate lacing in my nonic ; a moderate smell, some citrus/cattish hops, maybe a hint of cereal grain ; flavor's a bit on the thin side, a moderate hop bite and somewhat metallic up front, a bit of piney hops and minerals come out about midway , finish is dry and a bit metallic ; a med.-light body and moderatly carbonated ; a decent drinking beer, just an avg. Am. IPA though...

animal69, May 21, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours light golden color in teku glass. White head that lingers fairly well.

Smell is heavy with lemon citrus. Very nice fresh smell. Inviting.

Taste is dissappointing. Some malty sweetness. Not much complexity here. No hop character. Minimal bitterness

Mouthfeel is watery. Very bland.

Overall this was fair at best. Probably won't buy this again.

TrappistJohnMD, Jul 24, 2012
Photo of

12oz. bottle

Slightly hazy, straw yellow appearance. Topped with a fairly large, creamy, off-white head.

Grass and a hint of citrus are the main aromas. Some salt, yeast, and bread finish it off.

Taste is more bitter than sweet, grassy and herbal in character. A little citrus flavor and a bready middle.

Medium in body. Low to medium carbonation, could pick up some and it would be better. Dry.

Overall, a decent IPA. Nothing I would go out of my way for, but not something I would turn down, either.

, Sep 17, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Bought at locate liquor store by a friend who left a couple over at my house, so I thought I'd give it a try. Poured harshly to create head, but to no real avail, the head rose and fell fast and now is lingering in patches around surface of the beer. Lacing is present, how ever it seems to be a little inferior. The body appears to be a light, thinnish golden hay color. It smells of mild pine, but lacking the complexity I like in my IPA. Its as if there is a bridge made from the hops to the malt and with most the bridge is complete, but with this from the hops to the malt there are a couple holes (sorry for the shitty analogue). There are also some grapefruit, citrus hints to be smelled, but nothing too inspiring or exciting. The flavor is decent, some carbonation is present with relaxed bitterness and easy drinkability, but nothing that really excites me. The after taste is too wimpy, to kick my taste buds around and when I drink this I feel like I can taste the steel vats it was fermented in. Honestly I've had a lot worse, but I've had better. If selection is limited give it a try, but if not reach for something else.

mmcave, Oct 22, 2006

750 ml bomber into Duvel glass

Appearance: clear golden orange with 2 finger bubbly white head, lots of lacing

Smell: citrusy, grapefruit, lots of floral action, lemon, hay

Taste: It has an initial hint of citrus and grapefruit, but it is immediately replaced by a corny, bready dull palate, which fades into a sharp lingering bitterness. The nose indicated a lot more flavor, but it really is the corn/bread taste that dominates the palate, with a dry bitterness that doesn't really please. You can taste the adjunct macro in it, which is sad because I didn't rated this not initially knowing Red Hook was owned by InBev (which makes sense why I see this at every gas station).

Mouthfeel: High carbonation but rather thin bodied

Overall: An alright IPA, better than the rating may indicate, especially for the price, but nothing I would seek out. It was about $2.50, otherwise I would not have given it much look. Not to be biased or discriminate, as before I knew Red Hook was owned by Anheuser-Busch/InBev, I thought I tasted a hint of corn taste. I bet this was even better before they sold out, but i'm not gonna go there.

Roman5150, Jun 19, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Amber colour; slightly on the pale side. Bordering almost on a pilsner in colour, but not quite as yellow. Very light in colour.

Fruity, hoppy smell with traces of malt. No zest; in fact the hops seem somewhat subdued. The smell doesn't hit me like some PNW IPAs. Faint cut-grass smell.

Taste is fairly bland. Faint hop zing, definite fruity and cut-grass taste. Very watery, not much malt. The taste isn't weak, but certainly isn't as strong as some IPAs I've had. One-dimensional and just not exciting.

Okay mouthfeel. The carbonation is good, but the blandness of taste makes it seem just too fizzy. Drinkable, but so is water...why drink it when you can get something more exciting?

BDTyre, Jun 18, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

A fairly decent I.P.A., if a little boring. On the plus side, it gives you the familiar taste of an I.P.A., with some pine notes. Unfortunately, it lacks body & character, leaving a rather unremarkable impression. Still, it's better than average, and offers enough to be worth trying. It might appeal to those overwhelmed by complexity and/or bitterness of traditional I.P.A.s.

Contra, Jan 11, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

It has a golden color that is deeper than other IPA's I've had; it has a typical bright white head. The head quickly disapates without leaving any lace. Carbonation is extremely light and the body is fairly thin. Easy to drink though. This is my third and I have not yet had even the urge to burb.

Flavor also is relatively weak. I had Hop Ottin and a Saranac IPA the other day and this is a puppy compared. It has a stronger IPA-like flavor than Alexander Keith's but that is no compliment. This is not to say its bad though. The bitterness of the cascade hops and light malt background are extremely well balanced. Though is a relatively boring IPA the well balancing and light carbonation make this a good IPA to drink large quantities of (if there is such a thing).

This beer is typical of other Redhook offerings Ive had--not bad, just nothing to rant and rave about.

allboutbierge, Mar 26, 2003
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

A-Pours a cloudy unfiltered golden colour. Minimal issues.

S-Grape fruit hops with a nice malts to balance it out.

T-Bitterflavors, hoppy but def not the hoppiest Amer IPA I have tasted. Kinda soft on flavour for a 6.5 % beer.

M-Surprisingly thing for a 6.5 % beer.

D-Very drinkable, and a great intro to American IPAs for the beginner.

Mit, Sep 29, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: After pouring this beer into my glass, I said I might have to pass. A light honey, golden color. The appearance brought about a dissapearance in my excitement. A litle cloudy, with very little lacing, half finger head, quite a mysterious Spread for an IPA.

Smell: The Aroma of this beer was nothing more than quintessential. Walt did not smell any Malt. A very light and citrusy scent tingles the nostrils. Yeasty, with light floral/ hoppy smell, I could tell this IPA would not make my day.

Taste: The ingredients lacked cohesiveness like the 07-08 Knicks. Fist, a Citrus, orange taste fills the palate. The taste transitions into a typical IPA, hoppy taste. However, the hops did not take it to the hoop and score like David Lee. More like, they lingered around he post, dribbled, and dissolved quickly with little tenacity. However, The Beer then moves to yet a third taste that is not a waste, a medium Malty flavor....the savior! Overall, not a very impressive, hoppy flavor for an IPA.

Mouth Feel: Light like the sight. Quickly becomes foamy with a malty sensation. A watery mouthful with light carbonation ,litle preservation.

Drinkability: This beer was not a Slam Dunk...or should I say a Slam Drunk! I had to pass and say no thank you to seconds. It was not what I was expecting from an IPA. However, not Stephon Marbury Horrible...more like Charles smith...it's not what it's supposed to be but it can be adequate if the right pieces are in place. Drinking this with a meal will turn up the appeal of the flavor, but without it is not something I would like to savor.

MaltFrazier, Jan 08, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

On tap at Fat Bob's Smokehouse in Buffalo,came to the table in a standard pint glass a lighter golden with thin formed soapy-like head that stuck around for most of the pint being drank.Very light hop aromas for an IPA faint pine and citrus with some dry bready malt showing through as well,at first swallow you get a touch of hop quality a little pine resin but it fades out quick and becomes a little bland I was hoping to get some nice hop to cut through the bbq but it really didnt hit home.A pretty average beer that with some pretty average bbq last night.

oberon, Oct 19, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a nice crystal-clear, copper-colored beer with a thin, stay-put, white head and good, sticky lacing. Smell is good and fresh, no frills classic cascade citrus and pine. It is clean and fresh. Taste is very simple. Bracing bitter upfront barely qualifies this for IPA status. Sweetness underneath and a soapy off-flavor comes out if you let it sit on the tounge too long. This sits very light on the palate. I would've liked this beer more as a pale I think, but as an IPA its got no oomph.

JudgeRoughneck, Apr 09, 2007

Poured into pub glass.

A: Light orange/ straw color. One finger slightly off-white head that recedes fairly quickly. Light chill haze that cleared after a few minutes.

S: Mild to moderate hop levels on the nose. Citrusy - grapefruit, orange, lemon perhaps.

T: Nicely grainy with very moderate bitterness for the style. Hop profile is pleasant, although not at all intricate or interesting. Very distinct citrus rind flavor in the aftertaste.

M: Thin and watery, although I thought it a bit better as it warmed. Decent carbonation.

D: Pretty high, actually. The simple, unoffensive flavor, matched with the thin body and uncomplicated nature of this beer equals the potential for significant levels of consumption, especially considering the inexpensive price.

Overall this is a very mellow IPA - seems more like an APA, really. If I was grading more to style, the scores would be lower. Uncomplicated, unexceptional, no flaws. Easy drinking and good for situations, like some parties, when you know you're not going to be paying enough attention to what's in your glass to break out the real good stuff, but you want something that tastes good. Unoffensive - could be a good intro to better beer for the uninitiated palate. Good for parties where you don't want to offend your guests' palates, but you refuse to offend your own at the same time. Good for what it is and the price point.

imperialstout27, Apr 15, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

The beer pours a murky orange-yellow color with a white head. The aroma is a mix of orange and papaya with a little bit of pine and bready malt mixed in. The flavor is pineapple and orange citrus with bread and caramel malt. The bitterness is fairly low and the beer is easy to drink. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Jul 28, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Bought at Total Wines & More in Claymont, DE as part of a make-your-own 6-pack. I'm new so I haven't heard of the brewery so I gave it a try.

A: Used to IPAs that are darker and redder in color, so I was surprised at how orange and golden it was. Also, the head was thin with very little sustain, which as also a disappointment

S: There were a good bit of citrusy hoppiness, though not what I expect from an IPA

T: The was the a little bite from the hops, but not the bitterness or penetrance of an IPA. The malt, bitter, and acid are well balanced because all of these aspects are equally weak. The balance is nice, but not the punch of a real IPA

M: The beer was a little thinner than I would've liked but it had a decent palate, pleasant carbonation, and smoothness

D: The thinness of this beer betrays the higher than average ABV so it's easy not to think about this when glugging this beer. But this softness on the palate also makes for a very drinkable beer that isn't overpowering and tiring

Soonami, Aug 20, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

I was disappointed in this beer personally. The pint I was poured was a very cloudy yellowish amber color with a white head. I normally wouldn't think of an IPA being cloudy, especially from a brewery the size of Redhook. The aroma was pretty nice, definitely a strong hop presence. Flavor was somewhat unremarkable. Hops had a hint of citrus, but overall seemed a little bland and uninspired. Somewhat thin mouthfeel, and pretty easy drinking. This could be more of a session beer then most of the other IPAs I have drank in my time. Not horrible, not great. Just an average IPA, but if it was the only option available for this style at a bar, I would definitely order it again. I would not go out of my way for it.

Generik420, Aug 21, 2006

chillwave22, Sunday at 08:54 PM
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a lovely golden orange. Fluffy white with ample lacing the whole drinking experience

Smell: Mild hops, sweetness via grapefruit. Average smell

Taste: Very "tame" for an IPA. This beer is NOT trying to revolutionize the way we think of IPA's but it does a fine job at being generic. Which honestly...isn't a bad thing. Some hop bitterness(not a lot but some) at the end. Slight citrus

Mouthfeel: A touch thin yet sticky from the malt

Drinkability: very easy to drink lots of these

livingregret, Apr 15, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Gold color with very little head, slight film remains over top center of beer, and around glass, but nothing substantial. Slight amount of suspended sediment create a slightly opaque look.

S- Smells of citrus are significant. Slightly sour finish. Smells of hops are concealed by the overwhelming smell of citrus...

T- Tastes ok. I mean, I guess. It's ok. Kind of thin. Like citrus finishing with hops then pine. Interesting, but not exciting or exotic. Just ok. Wait let me try again... yep, ok.

M- Not the most enjoyable beer to savor. This beer hits the tongue sharply. I don't know what it is about it honestly, it's just not the most pleasant mouthfeel. It's even sharp on the lips.

D- I know, I know, it sounds like I don't like this beer. I do. I like it very much. I find this beer to be very drinkable and drinking a six pack of this on the weekend is a nice time for me. I find this beer to be average, but I really like the bitterness of hops, and this being on sale is a very economical way to OD on hops.

Overall, this beer is ok, but nothing special. It is a regular in my fridge for the sole reason that I live in a rural area and my local grocer carries a limited selection so I've tried everything they have. If you have the choice of this and something else, try something else first, but make sure to try this sometime.

uabigdaz, May 02, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Straight pour from a pry-off 12oz bottle to standard pint, with a pretty awesome bottling date format: "BOTTLED ON: APR 19 11 - 12:03 NH"

Appearance (4.0): 2-finger, smooth and pillowy head of fine bubbles, bone-white. The body is perfectly clear, and perfectly golden. Very little lacing.

Smell (2.5): Piney hops dominate the nose, with a very mild, bready malt undertone. The smell is actually relatively tame, not overly aromatic but what does come through is predominantly piney and second grassy hops, followed by a soft, light, bready malt scent.

Taste (3.0): Hops are actually NOT what comes across right away. They’re there, but the first thing you get is that very mild malt body—very light and just a hint of sweetness. Bready. Then the piney hops come in and wash everything away, and dominate the aftertaste, mixing with the body just a bit to make for a bright, almost lemony mix. There’s also a metallic undertone in the finish, like the lemony flavor turns into the metallic note. Not very unpleasant, really, but it is what it is.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Good, active carbonation that sticks around a bit. A little coarse and tingly, not fine and velvety like a well-bottle-conditioned beer. Could be wrong, but it almost feels force-carbed, honestly (not that it’s the end of the world). The body is a bit thin and watery.

Overall (4.0): I have to agree with the Bros’ assessment that this isn’t really an IPA (I’d say it’s generally closer to an APA), which lowers its score a bit. But, if we’re just grading for enjoyment, this is a nice session beer, and very quaffable—the kind of thing I’d want during the summer. Can’t hate it for that.

fmccormi, Jun 14, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Look: Golden yellow with orange highlights throughout. 1 inch frothy head with ok retention and lace

Smell: Very muted citrus hops with traces of caramel

Taste: The beer is very malt forward as opposed to hop forward like I like in my IPA's. Hints of grapefruit orange and spice

Mouthfell: Medium body and medium to high carbonation with a dry tart finish

Overall: It's ok but not bright fresh and clean like I prefer IPA's but it is worth a try

DarthKostrizer, Aug 26, 2011