Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,019 | Reviews: 1,182
3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured a nice clear colour with a decent head. Aroma took me a back. Piney hop nose right off the bat. I didnt expect it to be that hoppy. Taste was rich and full flavoured. Malty at first but not to long before the pine and floral hops came in to kick out the jams. West coast style all the way.. I just didnt expect this from the " Watered down" Redhook. Guess you shouldnt judge a book by the cover. Mouthfeel was above average, almost a bit heavy but not so much so. Drinkability.. Yep Yep for a buck less than some more highly rated beers this honestly stacked up.. I was shocked. The hop notes were rich and noteworthy.. If in a pinch and the price is right I have no problem recommending this.

PS-- I love how the packaging half covers up that this beer used to be Ballards Bitter

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

I had this ontap at Fire n Ice Grill in Boston. It was served a little on the warmer side, which is shocking for a chain restaurant but I don't mind. Not every beer has to be served frozen like uh... Coors Lite.

A light golden copper. It was served with no head but a ring around the glass from the disapated film.

A floral aroma up front with some citrus. Bready malt in the background. The floral smell is the main attraction here.

As far as the taste, floral, I also detect some pine that I didn't get in the aroma, a little bit of a peppery spice as well. A bready malt at the end.

Light body, light carbonation. Feels okay.

This is a refreshing IPA and not all that bitter. This could be the IPA people can use as a gateway IPA if they have never tried one. Tasty and certainly not boring.

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

Light to medium gold body, clear with a thin head but lots of lacing.

Big piney hop aroma with a slight earthy/malty mix in the background.

Clean, simple malt profile really balances the hop bill out, which is huge but kept in check. Humulus Lupis wins in the end, but that's as it should be.

Mouthfeel is drying and sticky t the same time, pretty unique. Too much carbonation, but that's usually the case with bottles, force-carbonated offerings.

Really a good beer, almost balanced, I have had a lot of this brew and will probably have a lot more.

3.93/5  rDev +20.2%

I have tried this beer several times before but never sat down to actually review it.

A - The appearance of this beer is slightly lighter than what I would expect however still that copper type color. Very light lacing occurred and not a ton of head which is very uncharacteristic of the style.

S - This seems very light in a aroma for an IPA. It still has the characteristic scents of pine, citrus (grapefruit) and floral hops.

T - The taste on this is much less bitter than several of the IPA's on the market. I think that this would be good for somone who has never been introduced to IPA's and may not necesarrily enjoy the bitterness added by the hops. It is still noticable however extremely palatable with a finish that dissipates quickly.

M - A bit more watery than what I would expect however still true to the style.

D - the drinkibility on this beer is amazing. Its bitter, however not too bitter making it a very good session beer. It is extremely refreshing as well. With the summer months coming this is one to crack while lying on the beach or a hammuk under a shade tree. I highly reccomend this for people just getting into the IPA style.

3.93/5  rDev +20.2%

the aromas from this beer are very nice. it has subtle scents that are fruity while the hops are very present. while pouring it gave average sized head that left a silky layer on the glass edge. they dont call this beer that ballard bitter for nothing, either. it is definitely a bittery taste but not in a bad way at all. very strong hop flavor that goes well with what seemed to be a sweeter malt taste. i enjoyed this beer very much and would certainly get it again.

Rich with well-balanced hops. One of my favorite IPAs

3.93/5  rDev +20.2%

A: golden yellow, clear, with very little head, no lacing
S: orange, lemony, very fragrant
T: I really like this flavor combination: bracing, very flavorful IPA: rose petals, pine needles, grapefruit; very complex, a consistent flavor profile even in the aftertaste
M: rather inert

Overall, this is a solid IPA; I'm not certain why others haven't cared for the taste, since it catches my fancy.

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%

I am not a big fan of IPA's but I am trying to be. This is a great starter IPA, not huge hop flavor but enought to let you know what style it is. It has great flavor. The apperance was average. Nothing Redhook should brag about but the taste is good. I definitely enjoyed it. I probably won't buy it again, at least soon, I would like to try a more heavy duty IPA.

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%

This was a great beer for the bargain. My friend lbkornlb14 and I went into our local watering hole to get a snootfull. We are big hopheads and saw long hammer IPA. The kicker was it wasnt popular so the bartender set the price at $1 a PINT. My friend and I went bananas. The color was golden. The aroma was full of nice rich hop smell. The flavor was chock full of bittering hops on the front, smooth on the finish. The mouth feel was great. I dont remember how many we put down that night, but I am glad we went that night.

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%

The first time I had one of these it was on tap, at a Mexican restaurant and it worked perfectly with my chili relleno. Had I given it a review at the time it would be an A+. So I had to try the bottle:

Appearance: Nothing special--an almost cloudy straw color. It keeps a small creamy head which I like.

Smell: Grapefruit and nothing else.

Taste: Mild for an IPA. Nothing jumps out at you, but there's also nothing negative at all about it. A great grapefruit taste that the nose hints at from the start.

Mouth-feel: Light, with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drink-ability: A perfect summer beer, or a beer to pair with spicy food. I like it a lot, and it won't be the last time I down a few.

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%

Whether or not this beer is an IPA is not really the question. This beer started out as a bitter, "Ballard Bitter" and "I" like it.
Some floral fragrance, some sweet notes along with a nice bitter, makes for a rather refreshing brew. The top neck band label on my bottle has “alcohol 6% by volume” and poured out a fair amber with a somewhat thin head. Looks aside, I found the brew refreshing, tasty, and satisfying.

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%

This poured a clear pale amber with a little white head. It smelled like a mix of strong citrus and pine hops with some malt. It tasted mostly typical with nice mostly pine hops flavor and some malt. It was surprisingly thick with little carbonation and a sweet/bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a good clean beer, better than I expected.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Light golden color with a white head that doesn't stay long, but leaves a sticky film around the inside of the glass. Aroma of sweet honey and orange peel. Hop flavor is bright and citrusy, with some pine notes as well. Not an overly complex flavor, but very refreshing and enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle sampled St. Stephen's day in Offaly Ireland. Did have any hop kick for me. Disappointed.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

I really don't understand why I seem to be the only one who likes Red Hook.

Again, I found this as a pretty darn good IPA but again, I'm in the minority.

Pours a golden bright color. Smell bursting with hops which provides a nice aroma.

Taste is again, hops, with a hint of orange. Rather serious IPA at 6.5 ABV, but worth it. I enjoyed. And recommend.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

I did not look at the reviews for this beer before I tried it. It was the only IPA at the local supermarket that was available that I hadn't tried. I really enjoyed it. I don't get the bad reviews on it. Perhaps, subconscious brand bias?

This head generated a nice head, very thick and clinged well. Ipas in general have big heads, which is part of their appeal.

Smell was a good hop smell. Cascades, a little different than other cascades.

Taste was hoppy and somewhat agressive, but had some malt backbone to balance.

Mouthfeel was a little less carbonated than most IPAs.

This beer was a good beer and I will look to try another one.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

I really enjoyed the offering from Red Hook, the first one of theirs that I have had. Great dark amber, almost caramel color that was appealing day and night. The smell was awesome, by far the best smelling IPA I've had - very fruity. The taste was great as well, strong flavors of citrus and spices. The only downer was the mouthfeel,to much bitter aftertaste for my liking. Otherwise a great beer. I'm looking forward to some more tonight.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

I will start out by saying that This Beer Is Underrated.

Sure, the head isn't fantastic and the smell won't blow your socks off, but the taste is there, mouthfeel is good and drinkability is a quaffer. When I drink this brew, it just reminds me of a slightly stronger aroma hopped version of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale... which certainly isn't a bad thing. I think the only thing that's holding this beer's ratings back (aside from beer snobbery) is that it represents itself as an IPA instead of an APA. Put this in the APA catagory and there won't be many that outrank it.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into "coke" glass because it was clean.

Very nice golden amber color with good two finger white head, two minute retention, and surprisingly substantial lacing.

Beer snobs will balk, but this is a fantastic beer for the price, despite it's diversion from the defacto IPA "standards" The fact is, it's closer to an IPA than any other type of beer. It's really very enjoyable. Drinkabilty is high and even higher considering it ABV of 6.5.

Tastes of sweet malt, good carbonation, and commercial hops. Nothing glamorous but still very pleasant for a commonly available grocerystore beer. Very drinkable and refreshing. Very drinkable to a typical macro-light-domestic-corn-rice-no-flavor beer drinker. I would consider it a viable gateway beer for the yet to be enlightened. Solid for a frugal session beer.

The only real negative is an apparent inconsistency in the quality. Never swillish, but some times far better than others.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured a hazy gold with a small head. The head covered the top of the glass all the way down and left some nice lacing. Some hops smell, The taste was good, but not great. Some bitterness, but not the hop flavor I have come to expect with Harpoon or Hop Hog. The beer had a nice feel to it , not too watery and no unpleasant aftertaste. I guess you could call it balanced, but I was expecting more hops flavor. Drinkability was good, if this was the available beer, I would have no problem with having several more. Given the choice, there are a few APA's and IPA's I would choose over this one.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, slight earthy malt, citrus hops, hint of alcohol, hint of grain, and slight yeast. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong citrus hops, sweet malt, slight earthy malt, hint of dry hop, and hint of pale malt. Overall, good appearance, aroma, and body.

3.96/5  rDev +21.1%

Purchased in Alabama in a mix a 6pk for $9.99. Served at 5deg C in a draught glass

A- Very good. Opens well. Pours unclear unfiltered golden good.

S- Very hoppy. Nice amarillo hops.

T- Very good. Bite on the tongue tells me arrmirllo hops!!

M- Typical IPA. Not special

O- Very good. Will look for it on tap if I can get it. Nice to be in the US to get something good like this..

Food Pairing

This nice little IPA goes well with... Sushi

Enjoy!

3.97/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured out a slightly hazy gold brew with a one finger head.Has a very nice "raw" hop scent to it,,nice. Taste of a dry brew with some hop flavor but much less then i expected. A decent brew actually,,i kinda like most of the redhook stuff i try. Decent mouthfeel to it. Drinkability is high,, its not gona blow you away but it doesnt seem "tiresome".

3.97/5  rDev +21.4%

a: pours a nice golden orance color with about a half inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing at all
s: strong aromas of citrus and piny hops hints of sweet malts
t: strong flavors of citus and piny hops
m: medium bodied beer with little carbonation

overall, i really enjoy this however for an ipa it really is hop heavy little balance

but it is good

3.97/5  rDev +21.4%

I don't get all the hate for this beer. I tend to enjoy it on occasion. Living in a land where the better stores close at 7pm and getting off at 8, being able to find this in a gas station is quite good. Sure it isn't the best around, but it is not meant to be either. For what it is, I will take it and gladly.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery