Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,019 | Reviews: 1,182

This beer gets a lot of hate. I agree it shouldn't be considered an ipa, but it would be a decent pale ale.

A- Nice lacing, two finger white head, medium carbonation, light amber in color.

S- Olive oil, hops, malt backbone.

T- Olive oil that gives way to bitterness and finially a weak malt backbone.

M- Medium mouthfeel.

D- Could easily do a six pack or more but that just me.

Got a 12 pack of this beer for a steal. Not a bad beer to have around the house for a kick back or bbq. Certainly not complex, but well balanced and sessionable. The type of beer you want when you dont want to think too much about the subtl nuiances of the beer but just want something boozy and pleasent.

Not into IPA's too much. This beer didn't make me change my mind.

A - "Kristal" clear, looks like a macro-lager.

S - Fresh, fresh, fresh hops masking an otherwise phenolic, "sterile" scent. "It smells like a dentist's office," was a friend's take.

M - Watery, medium carbonation; again, maco-lager.

T - Dank hops surrounded by phenolic notes - tastes like a homebrew.

D - A little too phenolic. Came as no surprise when I noticed that this was affiliated with Busch, I've had a few Red Hooks that I like but this is definitely not one of them.

2.01/5  rDev -38.5%

12 oz bottle.

Light amber with a weak off white head, and minimal lacing. Doesn’t look promising.

Aroma is light caramel and grapefruit.

Flavor is lightly malty, lightly hoppy. Touch of sugar in the finish. Weak, bland, boring. This is supposed to be an IPA? Nice try bud.

2.01/5  rDev -38.5%

This beer does not taste like an IPA at all, more like a lager I would say. There was one six on the shelf on a recent trip to FLA giving the impression that it might be in demand. I love IPAs and that is really all I want to drink but this beer is awful for an IPA. The people at Red Hook are drunk on something better or don't know what an IPA is. Even calling this an Impotent Pale Ale would give it too much credit. I could not taste any hops no matter how I tried. The appearance is the only half decent characteristic of this brew.

2.02/5  rDev -38.2%

Reviewed from session notes.

Pours out a golden yellow color with super filtered clarity (I prefer my IPAs murky) and the same old single finger of foam collar without lacing or retention. Nearly all of my Redhook bottles in this session seem poorly carbonated for their relatively recent bottling dates...

Aroma and flavor has the very faint light pine resin and grapefruit peel of an extremely diluted APA, not an IPA. A floral finish is very hard to pick up on, but it is there if you let the glass breath a bit. Oh, what's this? The same old boring monotone caramel malt as every other 'craft' beer on the market? Indeed it is. Light, thin texture, which is fine, but the under-carbonation causes a lack of crispness and the bittering in the finish is muted and clumsy, not enough of it is present to balance out the sweetness.

Not so much a *bad* beer, but rather generic, muddled, and definitely NOT the IPA that it is labeled as... Beers that lie on their labels get bad reviews from me, I won't stand for the bait-and-switch!

2.03/5  rDev -37.9%

Appearance:
Pale golden color, clear. No carbonation. Small foamy head, leaves a little lacing on the glass. Looks pretty dull.

Smell: A little lemon and malts. Otherwise there's not much aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Flavor is very light for an IPA. I get some lemony hops and bready malts. Finish off pretty rough with dry metallic aftertaste that lingers. Body is medium, very flat.

Drinkability:
Nope! I couldn't drink the rest of the beer. Aftertaste is just nasty as hell. Gives me a headache everytime I take a sip.

2.03/5  rDev -37.9%

A- Pours a clear straw color with a small foamy head.

S- Sugary sweet??? Almost Belgian-like... This is an IPA???? I'm confused...

T- Some earthy citric hops, almost no maltiness, just a sugary sweetness.

M- Watery, almost no body to it.

D- I don't want to finish this one.... I don't know what this beer is but it sure ain't an IPA.

2.04/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours out as a dark golden chill haze yellow with a very thin head of off-white bubbles that disappear as fast as they arrive leaving a thin ring and minimal lace. Smell is more like a Bavarian lager then an IPA, I get mostly toasted grains and malts, smallish sweet citrus with a touch of grassy/floral hops, not to mention that its faintly represented and kinda flat. This doesn't come across as an IPA or any other pale for that matter. Taste is quickly over and raw, seems to have an undercooked grainy malts that lend some toasty factions but mostly reminds more of grilled corn husks then anything. Hops are inadequate and hardly approachable in abundance, whats there seems earthy light and herbal and lingering late in the finish is some vitamin-like coating and flavor. Very dull, very drab, and almost undrinkable, had to brace myself towards every sip. No sir I didn't like it and didn't finish it either.
I have one word for this, "Why"

2.06/5  rDev -37%

The scores I gave this beer are based on it being an IPA. There is nothing about this beer that represents an IPA. This beer tastes a lot like Labatt Blue to me(which I enjoy when I want a generic lager/ale.) It barely has any flavor, and the flavor it does have isn't hops. Overall, I am very disappointed with this beer. I wont be buying it again.

2.07/5  rDev -36.7%

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden-amber body. Two fingers of bubbly, off-white head that quickly fade into a ring around the glass. Below-average lacing.

Aroma: It's all just a little thin. Some citrusy hops over caramel malt and lots of booze. This is nothing like what an IPA should smell like, even if you adjust for the general thinness.

Taste: Unfortunately, the hops aren't much more potent in the mouth. They're somewhat bitter off the line, but without any of the usual floral or citrusy notes to back them up. It's much the same in the malt department. Thin, grainy pale malt just kind of chugs along in the background like the rest of the beer. Everything but some of the bitterness vanishes almost instantly. The alcohol is still somewhat prominent, but a little more hidden than in the nose. In a bizarre twist, there's a lot of soap flavor here. So much so, that the first glass that I tried I dismissed as some sort of washing-up accident where I forgot to rinse the glass before drying. But, alas, all six bottles were just as soapy.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with a good bit of frothiness and a carbonation level firmly on the high side. Finish is somewhat dry.

Drinkability: It's very bland, and rather soapy. So, while it may go down quickly, what's the point?

Verdict: Shallow, bland, and watery, Long Hammer disappoints at every turn. This would be weak even for a Pale Ale, let alone a full-blown IPA. Shame on Redhook for misusing the IPA label so badly.

2.08/5  rDev -36.4%

Served from a 12fl oz bottle into my FFF pint glass

Pours a very pale yellow with just a tad orange added into it, you can say a very light copper color. Two finger white head that fades quickly leaving lacing behind.

Does not have a very dominant hop smell, although I do get something funky going on. Smells like wet hay, horse blanket, grass, wheat, very musky smell going on.

Only a very slight hop bitterness upfront can be detected with a stale dry finish. Very watery.

Mouthfeel is thin and medium carbonated with a very watery taste.

Although it did not cost a lot, Im still upset I wasted money on this since its very watery. I would definitely skip on this one if I were you.

2.09/5  rDev -36.1%

Smudged brassy apicot in color, with a large-bubbled fleeting lace of dirty ivory.

I guess it looks ok.

The nose brings its impending ruin, with that fucked-up Redhook scent of bleached flour and steamed veggies-- cooked carrots especially, and also bizarre tomato nuances, oh, and the requisite spoonfuls of diacetyl-- deeper in, there are vapid straw and pine tones.
And basically, what you get on the nose is what you get in the mouth. Flour. Veggies. Burnt buttered popcorn. Vague sprucey hops. And general garbage.
Thin in feel. Thin in substance. Thick in irksome off-flavors. That equation does not equal a winner.

I was duped into thinking this was something new, and not just their old horrible IPA repackaged as a new horrible IPA. Mine didn't even have that neato split label. Fuckers.

2.1/5  rDev -35.8%

Red Hook Long Hammer IPA....

Appearance-pale golden color, large fizzy head. Lazy carbonation, bubbles are barely there.

Smell-Sour hops aroma, pungent smell.

Taste/Mouthfeel- muddled taste, too sweet and not uniform, nothing there to back up the sweetness, hops are there but not really holding the beer up. Sweetness is disconcerting.

Drinkability-too sweet and at best inoffensive.

Overall- one of the worst IPAs I've had, Red Hook's other beers have been alright but this one needs to be reformulated. Not worth your time or money.

2.14/5  rDev -34.6%

Best by Dec 6, 2007. Pours a clear light gold color with a 1 finger head. Poor retention, but nice lace.

Aroma is quite grainy, with a hint of adjunct sweetness. There is a faint aroma of stale hops, but you've really got to dig for it.

Flavor is rather pathetic. Raw cereal grains dominate the flavor, and it shows a pretty healthy dose of oxidation/wet cardboard flavors, despite being fresh. Hops are nowhere to be found. Tastes like a slightly heavier version of Bud. Mouthfeel is light and slick. Drinkability is decent at best.

Overall, pretty pathetic. I'd have to say that the best thing about this beer is the moderate amount of lace that sticks to the glass... Yeah, that's the best thing about a beer for me too... Don't even bother with this one.

2.15/5  rDev -34.3%

Its an ok beer but not a good IPA style beer(although it claims that it is)

A- Golden in color with an offwhite head that dident stick around..
S- Not much of a smell, considering its an IPA you would expect some prevalent hopps smell but its very minimal
T,M- Slight hopps and bitterness but very bland to say the least...
D- Ehhh, if you are in a pinch its drinkable otherwise steer clear of this sad attempt at an IPA

Bottled Halloween 2011

Golden ale with no head, but evident carb from the excellent clarity. Smells like I remember: soapy, resiny, some grass and musk. I used to drink beer ice cold, this concealed the nose here very well.

Taste follows through with some grass, grapefruit and metal. The sweetness of the malt is a bit much, and I'm surprised by it considering how dry it looks, can't judge a book by its cover I guess. All in all pretty simple flavor, a beer I would sick on somebody interested in IPA's, then I would hand them something better.

2.16/5  rDev -33.9%

Poured a crisp light amber with a thin quickly diminishing head. The aroma was of some hops, but barely present. The taste was off-balance with an overly bitter hop presence that overpowers the malt and just leaves everything tasting off. The beer is crisp and the 6.5% is well hidden, but that does not make up for the taste. I must say I was thoroughly unimpressed by this beer, and felt obliged to follow it up with a Two Hearted to make things up to myself.

2.16/5  rDev -33.9%

A basic shortcut ipa. Owned by anheasuer busch. Used to drink this back in the day when i had a less refined palate and didnt know it was owned by anheasur.

a few shortcuts were taken for this beer and it is evident in the taste. hop presence is decent, but there is a lingering metallic bitterness that is not nice.

If you want good beer, spend another buck or two and you can have GOOD beerrr

2.17/5  rDev -33.6%

20 oz pint poured at IFC bar, Greenwich Village.

Poured a typical darkish golden amber with decent head, which left nce lacing as the beer was drunk. The appearance was the high point with this beer, unfortunately.

Smell really lacking in fresh hoppy aromatics, if anything, there was a skunkoid aroma.

Flavor was uninspired for an American IPA...no floral, pine or grapefruit notes as I come to expect...just malty ale taste, some of that sour sjunk, farly decent bitterness. Sort of a chore to finish, it's never good when you wish you had ordered a smaller glass so you can move on to somethng better.

My only taste of this beer at a bar that may not practice good tap line maintenance, etc., so i will gladly edit this review if I ever have the chance to taste this beer again.

2.18/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

~Pours a clearish golden amber, agressive head shrunk pretty quick, but lacing is pretty decent.
~Aroma is hoppy and piney. More piney.
~WTF. IPA? More like an amber or something. Hops are piney, but not in that nice lovely way. More like in the Pine-sol cleaner type way. in fact, thats pretty much what it tastes like. Right away isn't so bad, but it makes me cringe as it develops. 'develops.' I don't waste beer, but this one might accidentally get poured down my drain.
~Mouthfeel isn't so bad, a little oily and pretty agressive carbonation.
~No. Do not drink this beer. I usually don't slam beers,but unless you mean to punish yourself....

2.18/5  rDev -33.3%

I paid way to much for this 6 pack. I gues you could say it resembles an IPA...kind of. Its like brown ale/pale ale hybrid. When I taste it what comes to mind is taking a Fat Tire and mixing it 50-50 with a Sierra Nevada pale ale. Its not terrible, just not an IPA. I don't think I will ever drink this again.

2.19/5  rDev -33%

On tap at some crappy dive bar. Poured into a pint glass. Orange color with an off-white head that leaves a little lacing.

Aroma is very muted, with a faint soapy hoppiness and a touch of sweetness.

Flavor is pretty awful. Thin grainy maltiness with a dose of diacetyl, then soapiness, then a pathetic hop finish that is reasonably bitter but flavorless. This is supposed to be an IPA??

Mouthfeel is average, body is thinnish.

2.19/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Clear gold with a fluffy eggshell cap, a bit sticky on the glass with fair head retention. Not much aroma, a bit of mild citrus and malt. Thin flavour that fell away in the finish. Light malt, hint of citrus, biscuit and marshmallow. Light bodied, average carbonation. A bit disappointing overall.

2.19/5  rDev -33%

Unless the purpose of this beer is to disappoint me, I do not believe it is successful in its mission. And I slightly resent another review which suggests that Long Hammer should be excused because it is cheap. In my view, it should be avoided because it does not have much to recommend it, regardless of its price.

It pours in appearance similar to macro-lager. It is a fairly light yellow with decent frothy head. Aroma is OK; lightly hoppy and promising good things to come. However flavor is extremely minimal. You could try to give this beer some benefit of the doubt by suggesting it is an "English" IPA, but the commercial description, which mentions the transcontinental railroad, pipeines, and skyscrapers leads me to believe that this was intended to be an American IPA, but just seriously missed the mark. Mouthfeel is slightly flat.

This beer strikes me as being brewed to be innoffensive for the mainstream beer consumer, of which I doubt there are many on this site. Redhook ESB is a fine beer...and this one is not.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery