Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,136 | Hads: 3,042
2.04/5  rDev -36.6%

Pours out as a dark golden chill haze yellow with a very thin head of off-white bubbles that disappear as fast as they arrive leaving a thin ring and minimal lace. Smell is more like a Bavarian lager then an IPA, I get mostly toasted grains and malts, smallish sweet citrus with a touch of grassy/floral hops, not to mention that its faintly represented and kinda flat. This doesn't come across as an IPA or any other pale for that matter. Taste is quickly over and raw, seems to have an undercooked grainy malts that lend some toasty factions but mostly reminds more of grilled corn husks then anything. Hops are inadequate and hardly approachable in abundance, whats there seems earthy light and herbal and lingering late in the finish is some vitamin-like coating and flavor. Very dull, very drab, and almost undrinkable, had to brace myself towards every sip. No sir I didn't like it and didn't finish it either.
I have one word for this, "Why" (949 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -13%

I was fairly disappointed with this beer--I hadn't read the other reviews and was expecting to find an above average beer. Pours a light golden with a very persistent foamy white head. The aroma and taste are both fairly mild and only slightly hoppy (not at all what I was expecting). Fairly smooth and drinkable but nothing to get very excited about. This was not too bad as a beer (very average as my scores reflect), but was definitely bad for an IPA. I'm fairly confident I won't bother having this again. (509 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +15.2%

Had this on tap at Forecaster's pub in Woodinville, WA. Aroma of hops was quite strong especially for such a mass produced beer. Slight sweetness came through the pine and citrus hops quite nicely. Flavor was dominated by hops with enough sweet malt character to keep everything in check. This one really surprised me at the brewery as I am so used to mediocre ESB. (365 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -18.3%

I originally sampled this on 29 April 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
With so many Outstanding IPA's out there, why do breweries continue to turn out mediocre ones? The folks at Redhook need to take a look at what Stone, Bell's, Victory, DFH and even Diamond Knot (in their own backyard) do with their IPA's and re-think Redhook's version. (354 characters)

Too funny...well, its been 5 years since I first reviewed this beer. I've become a lot more knowledgeable about what makes an IPA great and what makes on run-of-the-mill and this is just that.

Reviewed on 08-28-03-

Redhook makes a great IPA. Had it on tap when I visited the brewery up in Portsmouth, NH, also have had from the bottle many times. It has a clear light amber appearance with a clean look. The aroma of hops is very apparant and it provides that necessary crispness and all around hoppy mouth feel. Its a very refreshing beer and will leave you asking for another before you reach the last sip. (611 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +13.7%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle with a "bottled on" notice -- in this case 05/19/03 -- printed dot-matrix style on the bottom of its rear label; purchased as part of a ten beer sampler pack from the West LA Whole Foods on National and Barrington ($12.99); profile of some 19th century dandy being goosed on the front label.

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper; dramatically undersized head; poor lacing.

Aroma: Fairly sweet notes of caramel and grapefruit.

Taste: Moderately sweet malts upfront; slightly weak hop bitterness -- for the style, that is -- in the finish; floral, citrusy, piney hop flavors; faints notes of vanilla and yeast; a tad watery.

Comments: A poor example of an IPA, but by no means a bad beer. To be sure, a rather respectable APA. I wouldn't go out of my way for this, but would happily drink it again. (836 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not much superlative to say about this beer, a below average IPA from the Pacific Northwest. Pours amber with a medium white head that leaves a trace of lacing. Aroma is sweet, grainy and with just a touch of citrus hops. Flavor is also sweet with only a slight hop bitterness. With a watery body, this IPA has been bested by other brewers in the region. (354 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +22.4%

I am not a big fan of IPA's but I am trying to be. This is a great starter IPA, not huge hop flavor but enought to let you know what style it is. It has great flavor. The apperance was average. Nothing Redhook should brag about but the taste is good. I definitely enjoyed it. I probably won't buy it again, at least soon, I would like to try a more heavy duty IPA. (364 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

IPA? The only IPA characteristic was the lingering bitterness that was not overly pleasant. Aroma was faint with little suggestion of hoppiness. Taste was just adequate, with a less than pleasant moutfeel (oily?). Drinkability was just avearage. I wouldn't hoist down too many at a sitting. Unfortunately, I was taken in by the fact that this was a Washington State Brewery and I had good luck with Northwest offerings previously. This twelve pack will go a long way. (467 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -24.5%

Appears copper amber hue with an off white cream colored head that leaves even solid rings of lacing throughout the pour. Aroma contains faint citrus pince hop aroma with a slight buttery touch of malt to it, the aroma overall seems a bit toned down for an IPA. Taste has some off metallic along with a lot of bitterness only with minimal malt sweetness detected to balance the bitter flvor, in my opinion this beer just didn't taste good. Mouthfeel is thin a bit watery in fact, not impressed but I don't expect much from Redhook these days. Drinkability from this mass produced IPA is I will pass and go for a classic representation like a Hop Devil. (652 characters)

Pours crystal clear light amber, medium white head quickly diminishes, leaving small spots of lacing. Aroma is sweet & malty, with some graininess and hints of hops. Flavor starts sweet, middle and end have mild bits of hops. Palate seems a bit thin and watery to me. I remember this being much better before, but it my just be my tastes changing...and entirely average IPA. (374 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +39.8%

This pours a perfect clear 18 Karat Gold color that has tinges of orange to it. The head is a lofty off white color that is about the consistency of shaving cream. The nose is a sweet malt with hops that reminds me of a pine forest after a rain. The contrast between palate and nose is remarkable and well balanced. Red Hook knows hops. There is a very pleasant effervescent and dry malt flavor followed by an explosion of delicately balanced and aggressive hops. The hop flavor rolls in like the tide to leave a pleasant bitter aftertaste. (540 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

I went to the closest bar to my apartment the other night, and this was the best they had. It poured a very pale copper color, more like a dark gold than the rich red I've been seeing on my quest for the perfect IPA. The head was very thin, and was gone before I stuck my nose in it to try to get a whiff.

I could hardly detect a smell, maybe a slight citrus-sour smell, and I ended up with a wet nose trying to find that. The taste was ok, definitely better than its buddies on tap, with kind of buttery or even oily feel. I couldn't detect too much bitterness, except a little at the finish. It was very light and almost watery tasting, without too much flavor. The lightness of the beer allowed for a high drinkability, as I could see myself downing a few, very cold, on a hot day. (788 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Judged at the 2003 Lucky Baldwin's IPA Festival (Blind Sample)

Beer pours a dark gold orange with minimal white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is laden with apples and grapes with a strong bready yeast character and a touch of butter scotch.

The beer has a fruity palate with overripe red dessert apples and a grassy hop over a dead thin buttery body. (366 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a light yellowish gold. Minimal tight white head maintains a persistent cap throughout the glass.

Nose is very grapefruity, with some nice supporting spice. There is a good crackery malt beneath the hops, but the big hop aroma is the star here.

Quite disappointing in the mouth. Comes across as thin, with very little malt presence, and nowhere near the expected smack of hops. Slight hint of the alcohol as the pint warms. Waste of a really nice smelling beer. (473 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Sadly, the best option at a local restaurant while on vacation in Myrtle Beach...and don't get me started on the cost of this "specialty" beer.

Presentation: 12 oz. amber bottle. "Brewed on" date of 5/5/03.

Appearance: Despite the frosted mug, I was able to discern a very clear golden appearance. Very quick-to-disappear fizzy head offers no lacing.

Smell: Hardly anything present in the aroma department, and one looks rather silly sticking one's nose in the glass to get a whiff of anything (like I'll ever see any of these people again...).

Taste: Taste is not good. Hardly an IPA. Barely any bitterness. Quite malty sweet. No appreciable aftertaste other than just a slightly bitter flavor.

Mouthfeel: On the thin side. Low-medium-bodied and fizzy.

Drinkability: Not as bad as expected. It not a beer to drink when you want something to think about. More of a "grab-n-go" beer when the the mind is in neutral and a beer is all you want. (962 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -5%

Poured clear with a moderate head with small bubbles. Some lace. Some citrus and floral, but not much depth beyond that on second and third sniff.

Taste was moderately bitter, but not much mouthfeel or malt. Okay bitterness hits in the aftertaste, but nothing too complex. Doesn't measure up to some of the great micro IPAs being produced by several breweries around the country.

Ultimately, this a beer that I would enjoy pretty cold to chase a long bout of gardening or other hot work or play. When it begins to warm, there is not much to recommend it as repeatable in other situations. (594 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Red Hook IPA: Poured a fairly deep gold color, with not a whole lot of head, in fact it took vigorous pouring even to get that. Aroma, not much, and you really had to stick your nose in the glass to get it. The label says IPA, but the taste is very, very mild, without the assertive hop flavor that is typical, nay, required in the style. The taste is altogether not unpleasant though, with some floral notes imputed by the hops. C’mon, though, this is just not an IPA, IMO.

I'll note that it was very easy to drink, and somewhat refreshing on what was getting to be a warm day. (582 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +10.9%

A rather light color, dark gold with a fairly nice white head, pretty thick. Good lacing.

The taste is nice, not very complex. Lightly toasted malt and easy cascades make up the bulk of the flavors, with a bit of butterscotch rounding thing out. The citrus bite is there, but very subdued. The body of this beer is on the thin side but actually compliments the overall beer fairly well. The biggest problem with this ale is the HUGE letters I. P. A emblazoned on the label. It has already been noted in other reviews, but I will continue to beat a dead horse by saying this is not nearly a big enough a beer to truly be called an IPA. That is the problem. I bet this beer would get better reviews if it had its original name "Ballard Bitter". For me, if you don't hold it to it's misplaced stye category, it's actually quite a nice, easy drinking beer, and I think fits the bill fairly well if called simply a bitter, because that is what it is, a nice American bitter. I have no problems with this beer other then the name. (1,027 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -19.9%

It pours out to a pale lagerish yellow/amber color with a one inch fluffy head. There's not much of an aroma, more butter than hops. Hmmm, this is a half decent american pale ale maybe, but definitely not an IPA. It's kind of buttery diacetyl again, definitely not a welcome taste to me when enjoying an IPA. The hops show up in the finish with some crisp bitterness. So yeah, an average pale ale to say the least, not an IPA. (426 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -24.5%

I know Redhook gets dogged a little by some but I really don't mind their Summer beer, ESB, and Nut Brown...I'm not saying they are world beaters but I can enjoy them...I was excited to find their IPA in my neck of the woods but am less than impressed with this one....

Really doesn't taste like an IPA to me at all....the nose is sweet and perfume like...the taste is "buttery" and slick...now I don't mind some of that in an English Pale Ale, but a West Coast IPA should have some citrus hops in it and this has none of that....It does have some faint bitterness on the long finish but it's not a good bitterness...body is on the thin-side of medium...I'd never buy this beer again....one of the worst IPA's I've tried... (726 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a deep gold with a thin white head. The head fades to a thin lace. The aroma is hops, maybe a slight hint of citrus. A nice balance with the malt. Nothing overpowering. The taste is a mild malt start with a rush of hops in the end. Again it seems to be balanced. This is a bit above average IPA. A good IPA for someone to start trying this type of brew. It is very drinkable. Your taste buds don’t get hammered as much as some of the other hopper IPA’s on the market. (475 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

Finishing up Redhooks for the time being...new long neck bottle...

Pale amber gold, slightly hazy with a sprawling thin head of little duration and little lacing, as well. Aroma is slightly orange and with a sense of a greasy corny butteriness. Flavor is pretty subdued for an IPA, not hop infused and the malts have an over ripe pear and pollen like sense early. A better sense of bitter at the close. Decent balance but not much of an impression on either side of the hops or malt aisle. Not an awful beer but not one I would pick up if there's much of any choice at all. (576 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%

There is a thin white head that dissapates quickly. A nice color though which is a robust golden color without any redness. Distinct cascade hops flavor with just enough malt to balance. Mouthfeel is dense enough let you taste the hops without being as heavy as an average stout. Leaves a bitter aftertaste for a few seconds to finish with an average cleanness. A mediocre I.P.A. that displays the flavor of Cascade hops yet i believe it needs work on the yeast and the water profile as i do not think that these two ingredients are the best choice for an I.P.A. (562 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a very small head and looks very light. Almost like a Foster's. Surprisingly rich aroma. Smells primarily of vanilla. Also smells of hops. Tastes ok. A little metallic. Pretty bitter. A little too much going on here. Nothing consistent. Fairly drinkable. Tastes ok and is not too heavy, but the aftertaste is neither offensive nor appealing. (347 characters)

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery