Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,148 | Hads: 3,123
3.46/5  rDev +6.8%

I hadn't tried this beer in awhile. It seems like it's gone through a few changes over the years and I thought I'd give it another taste. The bottle I had tasted better than I remember it. Nice and brilliant with a straw color. Decent body and head retention. Fairly dry aftertaste. I noticed a nice hop bouquet on the nose which suggests it was dry-hopped. Maybe it wasn't, perhaps just really fresh as the beer had a born on date suggesting the beer was less than two weeks old. I thought it was a good beer that I will sample again in the near future.

3.44/5  rDev +6.2%

RedHook IPA pours a transparent bronze shade and leaves a very minimal amount of head retention. The smells are nice, some hops and faint fruity notes. The first taste is good yet not very bold. There is a strong hop-bitterness in the aftertaste and I also seem to sense some type of bread, which I did not expect. The mouthfeel and drinkability are slightly over-par, it has a really nice warming affect after you take a drink. You would almost think it had a higher alcohol content, even though 6.51 is still very nice.

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

This is one of my favorite tasting ales that I've ever had on draft. It definitely has a flare of a spicy Belgian Ale. It has almost a brass like color, and in reality though, it tastes just like a true English style Bitter-Beer. Another great feature is that its 6.5% alcohol per volume.

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

While this isn't the best IPA-style brew I've ever quaffed, it's still a decent one. As many have mentioned, Red Hook pours slightly lighter than the average IPA -- a deep gold -- with an average head and quite a bit of lace. You won't be overwhelmed by the aroma of this brew, which is a pleasant combination of sharp fruitiness and some heavy sweetness. Although this isn't exactly what an IPA afficionado expects from said beer, it's not a terrible experience. The taste is surprisingly better than most reviews I've read here, with middle-of-the-road hops and a nice bitter-clean aftertaste. (I drank Red Hook ESB and IPA on a regular basis a few years ago. I read the reviews here and thought that perhaps this beer had gone to the dogs. Not so.)

If you travel the globe drinking craft IPAs, chances are that you won't be a big fan. But this is an excellent IPA-style beer for the aspiring IPA connoisseur. And it's not bad for the rest of us.

3.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Original Review 3-5-05:
Purchased a bottle at AJ's for $1.19 back on MLK day 2005.

Poured a golden color with a nice head and is leaving a scattered lacing - 3.5.
Nose is somewhat muted. I am detecting hints of the malts but not detecting any floral hops - 3.0.
Taste is better than a macro and is a bit hoppy but is lacking the normal amount of hops presentation found in this style - 3.0. Mouthfeel is fairly lively on the palate and has more consistency than a macro - 3.5.
Overall drinkability is not bad, a good beer for after some yardwork, but not one I will actively seek out again in the future - 3.5.

2nd Review 6-3-12:
Received a bottle for helping out a friend back in February. Bottled on 12-20-11.
Brew poured golden with a smallish white head that is leaving a little lacing behind - 3.5.
Nose has hints of northwest hops - 3.0.
Taste is pretty well balanced, drinks similar to an APA. Pale and Caramel malts provide a bready backbone and blend pretty well with citrus hops - 3.5.
Mouthfeel is moderately carbonated and refreshing - 3.5.
Overall this is not a bad beer, pretty easy drinker for an IPA - free at that - 3.5.

3.42/5  rDev +5.6%

Redhook IPA pours a light golden color with a very small head; fairly high carbonation; moderate lacing. It's hard to put a finger on it precisely, but this just doesn't quite "look" like an IPA. The aroma is hops, plain and simple. Good, yet not terribly complex.

The initial taste of the beer, while bitter, is nowhere near as hoppy as most other American IPAs. The malt sweetness can be tasted after a second or so after the initial tasting; there seems to be a hint of roasted character somewhere in this beer as well. The mouthfeel is very light for this style of beer, and it finishes with a mildly bitter aftertaste.

Redhook IPA is an enjoyable beer...just don't be any under pretenses that this is an IPA. Still, it's a clean, simple beer that makes a good stepping-stone to hoppier, more complex beers...like an American IPA.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Seems to be a toned down IPA in the hop department.

Slight orange tint in an otherwise yellow liquid. Decent head and lacing give it an appetizing look.

Smell is a bit weak on the hops. Slight flowery hop aroma with a bit of citrus and some malt coming through.

Taste is a bit weak on hops but finishes with a malty base and citric twang.

Goes diown smooth with a bit of dryness. Not a bad IPA, just not much more than average.

3.04/5  rDev -6.2%

Very light in color for an IPA, just a tinge darker than a pilsner. Not a very strong hop aroma here which is another downer. Flavor-wise this beer is close to the style with a decent hop kick, but nothing that will bowl you over. I'd stick with Redhook's ESB which is a better brew overall.

2.64/5  rDev -18.5%

Oh, no. This is a micro-not!

What is this beer? I'm confused. Ballard Bitter? IPA? American IPA? What does this mean?

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Are American IPA supposed to be golden colored like a pilsner? What's the deal here?

The aroma was pretty weak. There is a faint whiff of some citrusy notes, probably some mass-produced American hops.

The balance is pretty nice, but let's face it, it's like two toddlers on a teeter-totter. There's no body and malt, so there's no hops.

The head dissipates quickly and the lacing is minimal. I do not get the impression that this is a "craft" beer at all. I'm disappointed. No wonder Red Hook's finances are looking pretty weak.

2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

I love a good IPA. This was not one.

Pilsner like in appearance. The hops are bland, weak and sub par. I can't even call this an average beer. Local advertising and may have given this beer a better reputation than it deserves.

I'm all about trying beers for the first time. There won't be a second chance for this beer from me. I am most unforgiving when my beer drinking time is wasted.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

this is by no means a bad beer, its just not a very good beer. I like IPA's a lot and i enjoy the taste, but this is fairly lacking as far as taste goes. I couldn't believe that it had 6.5% alcohol, i couldn't taste, though i could certainly feel it after a few. So I guess this could go both ways, if you like the taste of IPA's stay away, but if you like to get drunk quick on a easily drinkable but tasteless beer, buy buy buy!

2.43/5  rDev -25%

Redhook IPA = India Pretender Ale

I don't care what they slapped on the label. IPA's are supposed to have a hop profile that will rip your tongue from your mouth. I've had several things from the same beer cooler of the grocery store where I purchased this six-pack that were far hoppier (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for example) This stuff pours like a cold-filtered macro lager - crystal clear with a quickly dissapearing head. No discernable aroma.However, it doesn't taste bad. The website says they hop this with cascades, but I'm just don't taste it.

This tastes like a bar of soap being rubbed in the grass as it warms up. Drink it very cold to mask the soapyness and only taste a subtle kick of mystery-hop. At least that's what I do when it's on sale, I don't have much money, and want a buzz + slight hop fix.

3.77/5  rDev +16.4%

This one pours a clear, copper amber body with a small, offwhite head that quickly vanishes. Minimal patch lace is left down the glass.

Aroma features caramel malt up front, with grapefruity hops and a hint of lemon.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation.

The taste is well balanced, with pear and apple flavors melding into the pink grapefruit hoppiness. Caramel and pale malts are the baackbone here. Not a lot of hops going on here, but I found this Redhook a very pleasant brew.

Excellent drinkability, for my palate, as this one is very fresh(if the bottling date is correct). A very nice, if not exceptional, American version of the British pale ale style. Hops aren't very assertive, but this has some nice pink grapefruit flavors that combine well with the caramel taste of the malt. This would make an excellent session ale.

2.89/5  rDev -10.8%

On tap at the Orleans Inn.

A nice creamy white head that gave way to some very nice layered lacing throughout the pint glass. A burnt golden/copper in color.

The aromatics were all very faint and nothing impressive. A light lemon smell from the hops with a subtle whiff of diacetyl. Nothing really else beyond that.

Citric flavor up front that was also subtle. This "IPA" was as malty as it was hoppy. No true hop flavors typical of the style. A slight bready quality that reminded me more of a blonde than an IPA. Nothing to write home about here in terms of flavor.

This ale was light and thin on the palate; a bit grainy as well. My palate was confused since I thought I was drinking an IPA.

Refreshing yet nothing special going on here at all. Very drinkable, but I wouldn't have another one. I'm one of the many who feel that this beer has been mislabeled. I like my IPA's very hoppy, but I'm still able to recognize the weaker ones. This one was just bland for the style. If given the chance, pass on this one.

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer finally got me off my butt and motivated me to write a review. And I’m not writing because it is good. As others have stated, calling this an IPA is marketing, plain and simple. If not downright deceit. The only attribute it has that is even comparable to an IPA is the 6.0% alcohol content.

I can detect almost no hops smell, and the only real trace of hops I can detect is a slight bitterness, though it is not harsh or unpleasant.

Overall the malt and hops are fairly balanced, but nothing to get excited about. Although I wouldn’t necessarily say this beer is horrible, it doesn’t do anything for me, and I can't rate it high in any particular category when it is claiming to be someting it clearly isn't. Maybe if they called it a pale ale or something more close to what it really is, I wouldn’t have been so disappointed.

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours out a semi-cloudy copper color with a smallish head (fairly benign pour). Little to no lacing on the glass as the head quickly settles. Seems to me I had a much larger head on this one the other day... but with a more aggressive pour. Aroma is pretty tame, but seems to contain a certain yeasty hint to it. Maybe a tiny touch of citrus as well... but very faint across the board. Taste is rather bland. Hops seem to dominate the flavor characteristics (as you would expect on an IPA), but it lacks the balance and complexity of the better beers in this class. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing, but perhaps slightly overcarbonated. This seemed to give it a little bit of a mouthfeel that is too thin. Still highly drinkable, I'd rate this beer as perhaps a gateway drink for the macro-going-micro crowd. Certainly not an "A" list offering, but still has some merits here or there.

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%

Big, cream-colored, dense foam head has a pillowy collapse. The color of the beer is a clear, peachy gold. Fine carbonation. Spots and lines of lacing. There's a faint citrus aroma with a little sour milk. Sweet milk in front with a touch of citrus hops. The middle is sweet, tangy fruit, milk and caramel. A lightly bitter finish shows a little light alcohol. It's a decent, light, fresh beer. Not much intensity.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

Red-gold color with a low tight head that dissapears quickly. Sweet fruity hop aroma with a slight malty aspect that arrives late as the beer warms.
A sharp bitter hop initial flavor is the dominant taste from start to finish. An underlying bready malt emerges at mid taste and remains to the finish. A grainy hop taste joins in late in midtaste and intermingles to the end along with a caramel malt flavor that strengthens toward the finish. Medium thick body with very good carbonation.
Heavy on the hops, as an IPA should be, but with enough malt to make this an enjoyable beer.

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

this was decent. I don't know it seems like all IPAs start to taste the saem to me..
this one was strange cuz it poured out a slightly hazy yellow with nice head. reminded me of bud based on the looks.
smell was nothign special, hoppy, slight citrus notes and a little bit of a malty background
taste was about the same but seemed to ba tad too bitter for my taste. mouthfeel was good but slightly watery and thin. its quite drinkable but in my opinion not worth the 7 bucks a 6 I paid for it.

3.37/5  rDev +4%

Pours out a very clear, thin yellowish-orange with a decent amount of head. Very fruity aroma. Lots of apples and citrus scents present. The taste is not exciting at all. A somewhat dry, chalky feeling on the inside of my mouth that is not reminiscent of the fruity aroma. A very mediocre IPA. Sort of dull and not exciting, but it is drinkable.

4.26/5  rDev +31.5%

This one reminded me more of a wheat beer when I poured it. It was a cloudy yellow color with particles, which I didn't think looked good in an IPA.

Oh, but the smell! Aromatic and bittering hops mingled and came through, promising a world of wonder awaiting those brave enough to step forth to the challenge...

It was quite bitter, but well balanced. The aftertaste was bitter and slightly nutty, which went together well.

The mouthfeel was a little thin... and it would be a more drinkable beer were it not for the appearance. That distracted somewhat from the taste experience.

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

My review of this beer might suffer due to proximity to red seal ale, which I was drinking at the same time. I found that this IPA had less of a hop character than I had hoped for. The hops didn't fit very well with the rest of the beer. The brew was nice and bitter, which was a plus, but in terms of reviewing based on style, this IPA could have been done better. I have not been impressed with redhook offerings so far.

1.58/5  rDev -51.2%

Beer pour a typical IPA amber with a medium white head that left no traces on the way down.

Smell was uncharacteristically unhoppy for an IPA. Slight arorma of malts with a heavy over-riding sweetness.

Taste was absolutely ghastly. Started with a mild hops with heavy citrus that quickly faded to a horrid metallic tang (aluminum? steel?).

I finished the bottle but gave the rest of the twelve pack away.

2.56/5  rDev -21%

Just found this in my girlfriends parents fridge with a date of 5/15/04, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It pours the standard deep orange golden color of most IPAs with a slight head that left the scene quickly. The smell was not what I would have expected detecting just about no hops only a slight sweetness. This tastes slightly bitter with a mild citruses taste from the few hops that are present. Not bad tasting overall but not great. Mouthfeel was average and it had average drinkability. Not the best but definatly not the worst, it will work in a pinch.

3.01/5  rDev -7.1%

Enjoyed on 5/8/2004. 16 oz. pour in a questionably clean shaker glass at the Coolidge Corner Clubhouse, Brookline MA. Crystal clear amber hue, on the lighter side of the spectrum. Poured a frothy, cloud-white one inch initial head. Gentle hop bouquet, with slight pine hints. Clean hop presence to taste, with just a small amount of bite. Alcohol is subdued and refreshing. Great ale for sessioning.

Formerly known as the Ballard Bitter, and was no doubt once enjoyed in great abundance in Seattle’s Ballard District.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery