Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,147 | Hads: 3,115
2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

This poured to an orange and gold color. The small head vanished quickly, and the lacing was minimal and unremarkable.

Cheap grains were detected in both the smell and taste. The hop content is relatively well balanced, but the overall taste leaves a lot to be desired.

The fairly off taste makes it harder to drink than it should be.

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

I settled on this IPA (my first IPA btw) when there were no others in stock. I am a fan of Redhook's Amber ESB so that also aided in my decision. I enjoyed the taste of this brew, but I can't say it made me really want another. I think SNPA is hoppier so the reviews for this one that say you can only taste the hops make me scratch my head a little. It went well with Indian food, but was just decent on its own. Also as it warmed the taste did not stand up as well as the ESB. We also bought a sixer of Paulaner last night which helped please everyone.

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle. Light pale yellow color, nearly fizzy, but not really. Some golden undertones to it. Clumpy white head, faded quickly. Hop bubbles not present. Crispy bitter smell, but seem contrived not hop filled and fresh. Taste was super bitter, biting and harsh. Overly bitter, and nearly metallic. Not hop bitterness though, more like a big contrived bitter flavor. No malty balance underneath. Flavors get watery and muddled. Thin watery finish. Wierd version of an IPA. Drinkable, but not puckering and bitter, doesn't tease you taste buds into another drink, but feels like something you have to do, to finish it. I haven't read Venom's review, but I would guess he would call it "insipid".

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

A little backstory, before beginning: back in the early-early '90's, I was just getting my feet wet in the wide, wonderful world of beer, and cartoonist Peter Bagge was inaugurating his newest comic book series, "Hate." In the first issue, protagonist Buddy Bradley admits that he has become something of a "beer snob", being among all of the "mini-breweries" of the Pacific Northwest and displays a bottle of Redhook Ballard Bitter. Next time I shopped for beer, I grabbed a 6'er, curious to try Buddy's beer, and what do you know, I liked it, and for some years the BB had a regular run in my refridgerator's rotation.
But times change...I taste it now anew, for the first time in years...
clear, pale amber hue, 1/2" silky white head, with copious bubbles.
Aroma: soapy, and slightly sweet, minor fruit, muted peach, muffled apricot, nothing to speak of, really...
Taste: more soap! a bit floral, herbal, I can taste the hops on the tongue, (Centennial?), but they are so small, and disappear so quickly, that it barely counts! There's a cameo of spiciness,(a hint of ginger, even cinnamon) and a fairly decent initial texture,but the body is too, too thin for my taste, and this brew's miniature charms drift away like a leaf in an autumn gust. It's not terrible at all, but I can't really see that "IPA" belongs on the label, not anymore. I remember it being bigger and bolder than this!
Yes, times change. Buddy Bradley, the former slacker spokesmodel, is now married with a daughter, and the Redhook Ale Brewery has been practically bought out and wussified by Anheuser-Busch, and that cool, stubby brown bottle is now a tall, green-labeled longneck.
Cheers to what once was, and to my next, better beer. (hmm, there's a growler of Masala Mama in the fridge, calling my name...)

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

I picked up a six-pack of this at my local Bi-Lo. I’ve had this one before but never really scrutinized it or gave it too much of a chance so I figured “why not?”.

Pours out a deep golden-amber. An almost fizzy head bubbles up meagerly not quite reaching a fingers breadth. The head quickly subsides leaving a thin, filmy layer on top. Carbonation is peppy and rises quickly to the top. I think it’s rather pretty. Lacing is rather sparse and only hangs on in small islands.

The smell is a little flat and malty but as I hover my nose above it the floral and citrusy hop notes make their presence known. For an IPA the smell is a bit disappointing, the beers that I usually love of this style are bursting with these delicious aromas.

Taste leads off flatly bitter, doesn’t change much until the back of my tongue finally registers faint remnants of that floral/piney hop flavor that I love so much. Citrusy flavors are slightly hinted at in the after-taste. This beer is bitter enough I guess, but the bitterness just seems to lack any character. Needless to say the malts don’t add much complexity here either. Mouthfeel is great, quenching and downable with a nice dryness to it. Carbonation gives it a peppy little feel. I was surprised to find out this brought an ABV of 6% with it.

Not a bad beer by comparison to others, although this is a let-down when categorized as an IPA. This beer reminds me more of an ESB or something. A passable beer, but probably the least favorite IPA I’ve tried to far.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Light golden color with a white head that doesn't stay long, but leaves a sticky film around the inside of the glass. Aroma of sweet honey and orange peel. Hop flavor is bright and citrusy, with some pine notes as well. Not an overly complex flavor, but very refreshing and enjoyable.

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Cloudy gold pour with an orangish tint, distinct but not very stong hop aroma, nice light hop taste, with a sweetness making its presence known in the aftertaste. This might be a nice IPA to introduce someone to the style, also an IPA you could drink all night.

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a darker orange with a white head that leaves great lacing on the glass. Smell is very citrusy with a kick of hops. The taste is very light and grainy, citrus tone brings up the rear. Feels light but crisp in the mouth, drinkable in the summer or on a hot day, more pale ale than IPA. Average at best.

Bottle review 8-12-04

Suprisingly slightly better out of the bottle. Tastes more like pale still, reminds me alot of a bass. Since this is supposed to be IPA scores suffer.

2.81/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a golden liquid that is almost crystal clear. The head is white and foamy. The head stayed around for quite some time, which is impressive. There was a fair to good amount of lacing on the glass. The smell was a little bit of cirtus, combined with what was almost spicy. The taste was rather sweet, with a hint of citrus and again the spice. Are we sure this is an IPA? I can taste the hops, but only slightly. Seems like it is rather balanced. The hops are not winning. Not an IPA, not even an APA. Not sure what this is, but rather disappointing. Mouthfeel was ok, and it was pretty drinkable, but I am not sure why you would want to drink much of this. Seems as though this beer has been labeled incorrectly.

2.66/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle dated 122203 poured clear orange yellow color and left a small white head that left a little lace in its wake but didnt stick around for long. For an IPA I was disappointed in the low hop aroma. Some bitterness with a little malt backbone but not all that much. Mild carbination helped the hops out a bit too. The mouthfeel was on the lean side while the drinkability was better than average.

3.63/5  rDev +12%

Pours a cloudy orange-amber with a small stark white head, lacing was very nice, sheets striated by thick rings.
Citrus hop aroma, tops a toasted malt base.
The citrus hops are strong in the taste (lemon and grapefruit), along with the toasted malt.
Not the most complex IPA out there, and truth be told more of a pale ale (not even really an English IPA). Nicely bitter, smooth, medium bodied, good drinking beer. Twice the beer on cask as it is from the bottle or tap.

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%

This poured out a slightly hazed pale golden color. Topped with a perfectly normal head of white foam. The aroma tends to be floral and sweet with lemony grains and even a hint of a musty sourness. The taste is estery, bittersweet and creamy. There’s an evident bitter alcohol tang in the aftertaste. Not harsh, but a tad astringent. Overall a pretty smooth and flavorful beer with a decent malt body and a nice underlying sweetness. Finely balanced, very drinkable.

3.51/5  rDev +8.3%

Copper red crystal clear appearance with a two finger sized head and lively carbonation. Good head retention and decent lacing. The smell is grassy, musty, and indistinct with a hint of roasted malt, and is is way too faint for an IPA. Taste is also leaning a bit too heavily towards malt. It is nutty, biscuit like, mildly sour with only a medium helping of hops. The hops that are there are also aromatic, citric types, with not much bitterness. Not too shabby for a pale ale or a bitter, but not really in on par with most beers in the American IPA style. Mouthfeel is medium thick with a decent strength. This is a balanced English style pale ale, that makes a good session beer, but lacks that certain oomph to push it over the edge of mediocrity.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a beautiful medium gold with a small, bone white head.

Good hop profile. Not as hoppy as most IPAs I have tried. Malt adds some backbone.

Nice hoppy bitterness, but not too aggressive. Unpleasant metallic mid-palate with a short finish.

Prett bland and light. Dry, short finish. Not much body.

A boring, iffy IPA. More hops would be nice. Get this only if it is the only IPA available.

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

If Wendy’s “Where’s the beef” ad blitzkrieg celeb Clara Pellar wrote this review, she'd bemoan, "Where's the hops?" This is the first beer I've ever had that made me think of those caramel-corn candies you'd get at Halloween. I hate those things. Hazy, orange, lightly carbonated pour. Hardly a head. ¼ inch that thins away to nothing after first sips.

Smells of caramel, but sweet dull aroma.

Not IPA at all. Questioning if it’s a pleasant taste? Hard to describe. Not my cup o’ tea. Bready. Taste doesn’t last. Watered down. Almost a Wurther’s Original candy, but not a creamy sweet, almost like humdrum caramel-corn beer. Somebody throw an alarm clock into the kettle to wake this one up! Slides to the back edges of the tongue, then sour notes of plain cooked rice escape. Sorry, and I like other Redhook brews. Plus they give away a lot of swag and T-shirts locally.

Slightly fizzy on the ole palate. Doesn’t declare what it is, which is not always bad, but this needs to make a decision if it's pleading a case in my tongue's courtroom, jury members.

Can’t think of similar brews. Needs a hoppy fruity sensation. Bring Fruit Loops Cereal's Toucan Sam out of retirement for this one. Maybe a lemon wedge will be slam-dunked into this belly flopper next time.

The set-back? $24 clams a case. I’d rather buy Lionshead for $12 and pick up a pizza, with extra cheese of course.

Parting thought: For the curiosity seeker, only. All others may seek greener pastures. Sad, tho’ Red Hook is a solid stand-by. Website states Hops are: Northern Brewer, Willamette, Cascades. Really? Will not dissuade me from future Redhook entrants, tho'.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

The beer pours a rich looking golden color. The head was there but quickly went away. The smell was very floral but the taste was lacking compared to the aroma. It wasnt as bitter as I thought it would be. A bit of a dissapointment. The taste was good but not as asserative as I would expect from an IPA. Mouthfeel was very heavy and full bodied. Doesnt stack up to other IPAs.

4.4/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served from the bottle, at an Old Chicaogo. I like inclusion of the phrase "Ya Sure, You Betcha" on the label, being from Minnesota. The beer was a very solid IPA, good hops bitterness, even though I could've used more. I know, I'm a confessed Hophead. This is a good beer that I'd galdly get again.

1.39/5  rDev -57.1%

This is a disgusting beer. Maybe I had a bad 6-pack, but I won't be buying another to find out.

This beer has a nice golden colour to it, and leaves a loose bubbly head. Reminds me of Michelob from appearance. The smell is flat, and smells strongly of chemicals. The taste was even worse, the flavour resemebling a fake hop taste with a disgusting aftertaste that made me think of a local chemical company. After a while this cleared and left a decent taste in the mouth.

The beer feels good in the mouth, but the flavour and smell are bad. This beer does not rate for me in the IPA style and makes me feel that the brewer simple took a cheap beer and added some more hops.

4.02/5  rDev +24.1%

The beer pours a light gold color with thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It has a sweet malt scent with floral hop notes. The taste is fine. It is dry and hoppy. There is a good balance of malts and hops here; a pleasant tasting ale. The mouthfeel is outstanding. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good IPA. I would buy this one again.

3.62/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden with a brown hue. Off-white head.
Nice floral, citrusy hop aroma. Toasty malt buried underneath the hops.

Taste shows a good dose of floral, citrusy hops. Toasty pale malts. Hop bitterness lingers a bit at the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin.

Not an IPA I look for, but still a solid offering.

2.98/5  rDev -8%

Clear golden hue, thin off-white soapy head. An estery and tinge of hops on the nose. Buttery and slick up front, borderline medium bodied. Underlying fruit flavors in the way of orange and lemon peel. Subdued flavoring, I'm begging for hops. A malty backbone combined with some citric hops (barely). Finishes dry, a bit watery and weak. If it weren't labelled as an IPA, I'd consider it a decent APA.

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

The color is a pale tan and the head is not substantive but basically average, certainly acceptable. Too much carbonation that dissipates too quickly! The malt flavor is also perhaps too light to really taste satisfying. The alcohol is right for an IPA, but the hopping is weak, in terms of bitterness and aroma. I hear that this is much improved on draft and even better if you can find it served real-ale style, cask conditioned. Not as good as their ESB!

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

Golden body with moderate carbonation, white head and fair lacing.
smells pretty hoppy but something seems to be 'off'... Taste ok though the aftertaste is also somewhat 'off', I dont know what it is but somethings wrong here.
Has a very buttery mouthfeel which I did not expect in an IPA and seems out of place.

It has most of the smell and taste of an IPA cept it seems to be lacking something.

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Aroma: Potent cascade hop
Appearance: Clear pale yellow with some minor lacing
Flavor: Hops are there, but a bit weak for style. Also had a slight metallic twang that faded quickly
Mouthfeel: thin, light body no real hop bitter bite
Overall Impression: drinkability isn’t bad, but it lacks some character and depth. One dimensional, more like a pale ale than an IPA.

3.34/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: This beer was an amber-gold color that was lighter than what I was expecting. An almost white head rose up to a finger and became somewhat fuffy as it settled down. It dwindled into just a ring of foam around the edge of the glass by the end of the drink and left practically no lace behind.

Smell: The aroma was fairly light, but pleasant. It was comprised of sweet malt, cracker, a hint of toffee, and a very light hops presence. The hops wasn't as pronounced as what I expect from an IPA. It was more in the background than any of the other components of the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied and smooth upfront. It picked up some roughness as it moved to the back of the mouth. It also had a slightly coating, buttery feel to it on the tip of th tongue.

Taste: Upfront was a buttery diacetyl flavor that quickly gave over to a sharp hops bitterness. I had trouble putting my finger on the characteristic of the hops flavors. It might have been a little spicy or there could have been a slightly herbal quality to it, but mainly it was just bitter. There was a hint of roasted malt mixed in with the hops, but it was faint. Late in the aftertaste, a toffee sweetness emerged to linger in the mouth.

It has been years since I had this beer. I really can't remember if I liked it back in the day, but I do know I had a Ballard Bitter T-shirt. Therefore, I must have at least thought that it didn't suck. That is my assessment now as well: This beer is not great, but it definitely doesn't suck. A good session beer, in my opinion.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery