Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,147 | Hads: 3,116
3.42/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Long hammer is a great beginners IPA. Mellow piney citrus hop. A bit more bite than a session beer. Easy to drink for the masses. Well built beer in the northwest with good ingredients. Now only if the would mass produce Big Ballard Imperial. That is a wonderful imperial IPA.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is my first IPA and I have to say, not a great impression has been made on me. I like the look and it had a hearty smell too it, like others said sort of a piney-ness to it. The taste however was very bitter, I don't feel that I'm experienced enough in the IPA category to properly judge, HOWEVER, the bitterness and aftertaste for me was not something I thoroughly enjoyed. I'll continue trying out various ipa's and rewrite a review if I feel I didn't do this one justice but I will say they put enough of a alcohol percentage in to it so that I didn't completely waste my money away!

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: A slightly cloudy golden with moderate head and retention.

S: Mild notes of hops, pine and citrus.

T: Same as the smell. Mild yet well balanced.

M: Clean and crisp. Goes down easy.

O: A good intro IPA. Not for the hop sadist though. It was the first IPA I ever had and works well in that capacity. Nice to revisit but probably won't buy again.

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pour looks the part. Golden amber with thin white foam covering.

Smells fruity overall. Grapefruit pronounced. Sweet. Now I must add some bottles were Heinekin/Rolling Rock skunky. I would attribute that to poor handling especially with brown bottles.

On the palate fruit follows the nose. Grapefruit pronounced again but leans towards bitter rather than sweet. Quite frankly there is scant sweetness. The bitterness amps up the longer you take to drink.

Mouthfeel plays the part. Medium with a light syrupy coating in the back of the mouth. Bitterness lingers for a short time.

The stronger bitterness, for me, is not what I'm looking for in an IPA unless balanced with fruity essence and of course structured malt. Bottom line, not a balanced IPA. Drink this ice cold cause this gets mo bitter the longer it sits. Prone to quality control issues? Priced right @ 12 bucks/12pk so what does one expect, really!?!

2.65/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

LongHammer is a disappointing IPA. The taste is simple and bland, with misplaced bitterness and a poor finish. It is drinkable if it is the only craft available (and it often is, due to their distribution network), but this is one that needs to be completely re-done.

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a stubby bomber into a shaker pint. A moderate pour produces about a one inch frothy white head that proves pretty sticky. The color is a slightly hazy, ruddy pale golden with light carbonation.

I get a good whiff of floral hops in the aroma. The taste is also hoppy, with some viscous piney flavors coming through. After awhile, the hop flavors seem to lean more toward citrus, with some clear lemon tones in the aftertaste. The malt flavors are understated, but a bit of caramel seems to manifest itself on top of some graininess. A moderate amount of lingering bitterness in the aftertaste leads to some satisfying burps.

There's nothing to rave about, but this is a solid beer perhaps more suited to the tastes of those who prefer an ordinary pale ale to an IPA. However, I think this bomber cost around 4 bucks- for about a buck less, I could buy a 24 ounce bottle of Sierra Nevada pale ale, which may be a little lower in ABV but has about the same or better hop profile and has a superior taste overall. Still, I give this beer above average marks.

3.96/5  rDev +22.2%

Purchased in Alabama in a mix a 6pk for $9.99. Served at 5deg C in a draught glass

A- Very good. Opens well. Pours unclear unfiltered golden good.

S- Very hoppy. Nice amarillo hops.

T- Very good. Bite on the tongue tells me arrmirllo hops!!

M- Typical IPA. Not special

O- Very good. Will look for it on tap if I can get it. Nice to be in the US to get something good like this..

Food Pairing

This nice little IPA goes well with... Sushi

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

I really enjoyed the offering from Red Hook, the first one of theirs that I have had. Great dark amber, almost caramel color that was appealing day and night. The smell was awesome, by far the best smelling IPA I've had - very fruity. The taste was great as well, strong flavors of citrus and spices. The only downer was the mouthfeel,to much bitter aftertaste for my liking. Otherwise a great beer. I'm looking forward to some more tonight.

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

I'm a huge IPA fan, really the only beer type I enjoy anymore. Red hook long hammer is a great IPA beer. I do not know why there are so many less favorable reviews on this beer. It is not the best IPA I've ever had, but it is in the top 5. For the price it is the best tied with Ranger. The only IPAs I enjoy more cost twice the price. So for an everyday beer, this is my go to.

I have learned there is a distinct difference between East coast and West coast IPAs. I live in Florida and have had some local brewed IPAs and must say I was disappointed. Super sour...like rancid grapefruit juice. I apparently prefer West coast IPA.

This beer begins and finishes smooth. Strong citrus and pine flavor that has the perfect balance. No bitter or sour notes. Extremely drinkable.

3.54/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very pale in complexion this poured a near straw yellow. The head was thick and creamy for avery short time before is was lost altogether.

The nose is clean with tea leaf and lemon, a bit of pine and some earthy herbal tones.

The flavor is clean as well with the same malt tea leaf, lemon, piney resin, herbal and floral hop notes and a dry caramel.

I do praise this for a superb drinkability, smooth readiness and a relatively low carbonated bite.

This beer is well suited to slam the 7 pct ABV and it takes very little room in your system for repeated beers.

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

I was in New Hampshire and went to the Red Hook brewery. They have a restaurant in the brewery and that is where I had this beer.

I like IPA's, when the server brought out the beer It had a crisp clean look to it, light but not too light in color. It smell okay, it did not knock me out but it did not impress me either, it was middle-of-the-road.
When I tasted it I did everything in my power not to spit it out. It was overly bubbly and felt like I was drinking a ginger ale.
The taste was overly bitter.

This is perhaps the second time I never finished a beer in my life. I wouldn't have this beer again.

2.97/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

For an IPA this is a poor beer. My scale is different in that I don't consider anything made with rice or corn a beer. So the really crappy stuff claiming to be beer isn't on my scale skewing the results. (e.g. Bud, Miller , Coors all have missing values - alternative would be negative numbers)

3.07/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance-- pours with a 3/4" head that dissipates rapidly. Considerable lacing. Golden color.

Aroma -- distinctive citrus and pine hop aroma.

Mouthfeel -- light to medium body. Slightly sticky.

Flavor -- a little unusual for an IPA in that the beginning and middle are bitter but the finish is sweet malts. Finish is mostly dry.

Overall -- very nice mild IPA

3.61/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Label says JAN 14 14.

A- Pours a light amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Somewhat resilient lacing streaks down the glass.

S- Hoppy aroma with citrus notes of grapefruit and lemon zest. Trailing malt sweetness.

T- Starts off decent with a moderate amount of bitterness but soon washes away to some stale bready malt and a weak aftertaste. After that, it's just an uneventful ride to the bottom of the glass. One-sided hop character and a teasing bitterness that's gone as soon as you taste it. Drinkable? Yes. Exciting? Not the least bit.

M- Thin, almost watery but with enough carbonation to not be a total failure. Lightish body.

O- Though it's not as horrible as the score would lead you to believe, there's not much here for someone who's used to more potent and lively IPAs. This will be my beer for guests for the next couple of weeks.

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

This ipa advertises itself as "bold;" perhaps they are referring to the fact that it is an ipa, it is not dark, and it does have a 6.2 abv. It advertises itself as heavily dry hopped, but that is simply not apparent in the front taste; in fact, the front taste is curiously absent. On the backside, you get your dryness and your hops, but not the satisfying bitter back a good hopped ipa will give you. On the other hand, despite the abv, this strikes me as a good session beer, where it's lack of full character is an advantage; it's really not so very bold. A decent value for the price, but not a beer that someone, looking for a new beer respect "wow" will savor without the question: "Where's the beer?"

3.46/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is perfectly fine. If you need a quick IPA and this is all that's on, grab it.

A: Great head retention w fat finger of healthy off-white head slowly lacing the glass.
S: Not much. What's there is creamy, flowery hops with a bit of pine.
T: Sweet, oily hop forward: part floral and part citric. Good with bitter-sweet, asian food.
MF: Sweet, creamy, smooth with a moderate body and nice carbonation. Good grassy finish.

Half way between APA and IPA, a solid staple. I'd drink it again.

3.76/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz into tulip glass. Pretty fresh, bottled a month to the day before consumption by me. Not sure why most folks dont like it, other than maybe its a subtler IPA than were used to. In any event, I like this beer, since it was pretty cheap for a single bottle ($1.30), and is something I could drink while skateboarding or at a party. Nicely done Redhook.

2.24/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

red hook ipa/long hammer ipa.

16 oz can poured into a pint glass.

there is a date on the bottom of the can, however is it a fresh by date or a DOB? because it says dec0113.

this beer pours pretty poor. a cloudy pale golden color. barely any head and minimal ring lacing. its pretty cloudy and because its over carbonated it really shows.

it doesn't smell bad, but there's not too much going on. a plain hop smell.

the taste is that of disappointment. honestly this is very plain for an IPA. not very hoppy at all. kind of tasted watered down or poorly brewed.

mouth-feel is that of a light beer. for a 6.2 abv IPA i was severely disappointed.

overall there's not much to say about this one. I am sucker for a good IPA and this is not one. better than most mainstream mass produced brews,but that is not saying much.

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a very light gold with a minimal bubbly head. Smells of pine and grass, but not a big aroma. Taste is similar with a bit of lemon. Sweet with just a touch of bitterness. Light mouth with some carbonation. It's not bad, but somewhat unremarkable.

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From: Piccadilly, Champaign, IL
Date: Bottled 2013-09-29
Glass: Ayinger pils glass

Redhook's Long Hammer IPA is a sweet, pine and lemon-forward IPA in the US version of the style. At four months old, this is not the freshest IPA available, but even so, the beer presents itself as a bit too sweet and without enough hop robustness to add complexity to an otherwise fairly bland malt profile. In general, better than mediocre, but not by a particularly notable amount. One I'd potentially get again if it were fresh on tap or in bottles, but not otherwise.

Pours a 1cm tall head of white foam made up of small-sized bubbles for a fairly frothy appearance. Head retention is below average, the foam lasting less than one minute, falling to a thin ring around the perimeter of the glass and a small island of residual film resting atop the body of the beer for the duration of the drink. Lacing is good, with numerous bubbles clinging to all sides of the glass. Beer's body is a murky golden orange color, with light bringing out murky golden yellow hues. Carbonation visible through the transparentn body, high in number and activity.

Aroma is surprisingly sweet with a backdrop of pine and lemon-like hops, not particularly deep or complex, but not completely underwhelming or unappetizing, either.

Overall flavor is of sweet pale malts with pine and sweetened lemon-grapefruit flavors. Front of palate tastes strong pale and light caramel malt sweetness with pine resin, lemon, mild grapefruit. Mid-palate experiences quite sweet pale malts with strong flavors of pine, sweetened lemon, and watery grapefruit. Back of palate detects moderate hop bitterness with thin/watery pine resin and grapefruit flavor. Aftertaste of moderate hop bitterness with residual flavors of ghostly pine, lemon, and grapefruit, with light caramel-like sweetness in the background.

Beer is medium-light in body, with carbonation of medium-high intensity, resulting in a foamy (3/4) and otherwise smooth (1/4) mouthfeel that at first borders on being fizzy. The beer comes across as a bit thin for the style, though it . Closes dry, with medium-high stickiness clinging to the palate and lips.

3.63/5  rDev +12%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love the taste of a hoppy beer. With that being said this beer for me is a go to when I want a strong IPA with a mild finish and a full body. It has a bit of an aftertaste that is a pine type finish. It is a solid beer that I think is underrated. The smell is clean and the hops really jump out. Overall a great beer that should be tried.

2.27/5  rDev -29.9%

What a disappointment, although I say that only because Long Hammer is the only IPA in the house right now and I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Long Hammer is a flat, one-dimensional beer that offers nothing in the way of excitement or hoppy complexity. Redhook is a brewery that, like Sam Adams, survives and thrives by virtue of a carefully crafted image. But the image is crafted with greater care than their beers, and even Sam Adams makes one or two rewarding beers (such as Rebel IPA).

I keep hoping for something daring from Redhook, but this is definitely not it. One suspects that Long Hammer was invented because Redhook feared that they were perceived as lacking imagination. "I know - let's make an IPA" they said at a brainstorming session. But they came up with something as inoffensive as Fat Tire in an effort to attract exactly the same consumers. In this, I believe they have succeeded.

2.19/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Clear gold with a fluffy eggshell cap, a bit sticky on the glass with fair head retention. Not much aroma, a bit of mild citrus and malt. Thin flavour that fell away in the finish. Light malt, hint of citrus, biscuit and marshmallow. Light bodied, average carbonation. A bit disappointing overall.

3.66/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap in a pint glass.

Am I drinking a different beer than many other reviewers? I don't find this beer so bad.

A- It's an amber color with a 1f creamy linen-white head. Good retention, nice rings of lacing.

S- It smells ok. Mild hop aroma, some citrus and earthiness.

T- Densely concentrated hop flavors. Floral and citrus. Some caramel malts, too.

M- Medium feel and good carbonation. It lacks bitterness, too clean.

O- Not great, but not a brew that I'd turn down. The hops do get lost in the finish.

3.77/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-hazy gold white head with a good lace
S-a piney citrus hop smell with hints of malt
T-hop comes in at first then you get a citrus pine hop aftertaste, then the malt comes in to smooth it out in the finish
M-medium body and medium carbonation
O-good hop bitterness with a nice clean finish

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery