2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
View: Beers (45) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,294 | Reviews: 1,088 | Show All Ratings:
ebingen

3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: Most IPA's I've come across tend to have very similar appearances, this one was a bit more transparent than others, and has an amber color to it.

Smell: I didn't really mind the smell, but nevertheless, I was not superbly impressed with its smell. I just want to take this opportunity to say that I am not reviewing this beer to slam it - I'm drinking it right now and it's convenient for me to review this beer atm, but I feel that its smell is its weakpoint and thus does not segue into a fantastic taste. There is room for improvement here.

Taste: The taste is actually quite nice. The hops in this beer are very pleasing and increases its drinkability to compensate for its not-so impressive smell. This redeeming quality makes it a bit surprising.

Mouthfeel: What can I say? Average. Nothing noticeably outstanding in this area, but I am after all an amateur.

Drinkability: To me, this beer barely qualifies as a session beer. It trails an interesting aftertaste that is somewhat inviting. This is a good beer if you're throwing a party and it's on sale at your local grocery store, but you have enough self respect to not purchase some unmentioned macro lagers (you probably know what I'm talking about).

Conclusion: It's not a terrible brew, but it's not fantastic either.

12-21-2008 01:38:45 | More by ebingen
Zoxygen

Vermont

A- I liked this aroma alot. Nice IPA citrus/grapefruit

T- After the aroma I expected more from this beer. It had a farty budlite taste under the bitterness. I'd call it a citrusy bitter bud lite.

I wouldnt really recommend this to any of my friends. BUT if I were in NH and this was on tap I could think of quite a few beers I would have Long hammer over.

07-28-2010 19:23:50 | More by Zoxygen
deletedmemory

South Carolina

3.98/5  rDev +22.1%

I don't get all the hate for this beer. I tend to enjoy it on occasion. Living in a land where the better stores close at 7pm and getting off at 8, being able to find this in a gas station is quite good. Sure it isn't the best around, but it is not meant to be either. For what it is, I will take it and gladly.

11-06-2010 01:52:07 | More by deletedmemory
montauk7

New Hampshire

2.25/5  rDev -31%

I had this on-tap at Bailey's bar in Chapel Hill, NC. Nothing very special. I'm very surprised that the establishment chose this Portsmouth, NH brewery as their only IPA on tap. It's an odd choice considering that the Smuttynose Finestkind IPA (perhaps the finest IPA I've had) is also brewed in Portsmouth, NH.

Appearance: a golden amber color. I had it on tap, but have seen the bottle packaging and was not impressed. Very plain and bland label.

Smell: Even bouquet with no distinctive flavors breaking through.

Taste: Much milder than most IPA's I have had. Had little bite and needed more hops.

Mouthfeel: It was not very refreshing and did felt like it had been left out for a day.

Drinkability: There is just not much to be said for this beer. Lacked distinguishing qualities.

Opt for the much better, all-around Smuttynose IPA.

12-29-2010 22:08:37 | More by montauk7
miltonclipper

Delaware

2.93/5  rDev -10.1%

A light amber color with noticeable carbonation, but a not-so-impressive head.

It was hard to discern the IPA aromas that I enjoy so much.

Despite this, it had a good taste that would encourage another round.

As for the mouthfeel, it is flatter than the carbonation would suggest. The clarity and relatively lack of smell leave also contribute to an unimpressive sensation in the mouth.

I would recommend this IPA to a light lager drinker as an introduction because it is not overpowering. After that, I would "move up" to the more distinctive taste of other IPA's.

01-30-2011 22:44:36 | More by miltonclipper
zachsmith

3.43/5  rDev +5.2%

head was one finger with little to no retention

for an ipa the smell was pretty bland, faint citrus maybe a hint of
grassy malt

kind of dry, it maybe a personal preference but i like a big malty stage to allow the hops to perform

i like most of redhooks beers but this is sort of a dissapointment.

08-10-2011 07:35:36 | More by zachsmith
EnthusedAboutBeer

3.86/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I definitely feel that this beer is underrated for what it is...which I would say, is a starter ipa for those just getting into the style.

This was one of the first ipa's I enjoyed and it definitely helped me warm up to a wider range of the style.

07-12-2013 06:41:07 | More by EnthusedAboutBeer
brew4me

3.74/5  rDev +14.7%

appearance - poured a good-sized head, and leaves lacing on the glass. I really like the color personally i think this nice golden color looks really nice.

smell - the smell is not very hoppy, more like a mix of citrus and bready.

taste - for an ipa this is pretty mild, not near as many hops as most ipa's. the first time i tried it i was really suprised cuz im a big fan of the normal ipa's. but, even tho its not as hoppy as i expected, i still think its pretty tasty. It has citrus, pine, and some hops, and some grainy flavor, just kindof mild for an ipa as far as the hops and pine go.

mouthfeel - has a nice comfortable mouthfeel, medium carbonation, crisp and nice, altho not as frothy as some better ipa's.

like others have said this would be good for someone whos not used to ipa's, and its definitely a sub-par ipa, but for what it is I still think its tasty and I enjoy it.

08-17-2013 04:05:39 | More by brew4me
phorty

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Mine has a bottled date of 10/31/07.

Appearance: Slightly dark golden color with quickly disappearing head. Lots of carbonation bubbles coming up and sticking on the side of the glass.

Smell: Clean and floral hops.

Taste: Pretty crisp and refreshing with less hop kick than most IPA's.

Mouthfull: Lighter than most IPA's but not watery.

Drinkability: Pretty high with less bitterness than I used to in an IPA. I didn't really notice the higher ABV.

This is better than I remember it being. It's not great, but good.

04-03-2008 03:12:55 | More by phorty
Bekke

Hawaii

4.1/5  rDev +25.8%

New label (green and blue), probably new recipe after merger with Widmer - much better than previous bottling. Drank it out of the bottle, so can't comment on appearance. Good hops. Slightly flinty, metallic taste, with a bit of pine, touch of citrus. Some bitterness. Very refreshing. Enjoyable to drink alone or with seafood dinner.

10-04-2008 17:26:18 | More by Bekke
CBennett

2.35/5  rDev -27.9%

Wow, bought this on a "blind" buy never had it and didnt look it up for reviews. Its just not a real strong IPA. barely hoppy enough to be a IPA.

Appearance: the color was on/right

Smell: the smell was slightly reminiscent of a IPA but not real strong almost as if you were smelling a Light IPA :).

Taste: was bland as well, no real hop character that seems to normally be the "backbone" of a IPA. Not the worst thing ever but not a very good IPA.

Mouthfeel:Wattery just not a lot there.

Drinkability: Its drinakble but this one wont make the list of my go to IPA's. maybe I was just a bit spoiled by IPA's like Stone,Southern Tier Brewery, and things like Hop Devil from Victory,Smuttynose,Rogue,etc...I guess thats just what I expect to be comparing other IPA's to. This was just not anywhere near that league..

05-04-2009 15:57:49 | More by CBennett
ragglefraggle

Idaho

3.53/5  rDev +8.3%

This was my first IPA so it does hold some sort of sentimental value to me seeing as it's what got me hooked on them. Pretty thin feeling mf which does kinda lend to its drinkability. Smells like most IPA's in my opinion only in a very weak sense. The hops are also there but not enough to satisfy a real hop head though. Overall, a great beer if you want to start trying IPA's without getting carried away on hops.

01-13-2010 15:25:40 | More by ragglefraggle
frickersticker3

New Mexico

3.13/5  rDev -4%

I consider myself the lord of IPA's, in a small town who is challenged to shelving the goods. Which hasn't stopped me from tasting and such...IPAs are golden and crafted on levels of distinction and taste. And when it comes to this IPA, I would rather crush some Ranger IPA. This IPA hits, but after awhile...the flavor doesn't continue as much as having the first taste.

Had in a bottle, looks like it would pour very lame and clear.

Smell is there, just like any strong righteous IPA.

Taste has value at the start, but after a couple bottles...it's the same taste as the start...no hop to hop 2.

Mouthfeel is there.

If you have heartburn...and a man with balls, drink this. But after awhile...the taste will roll flat...And thats why I suggest the Ranger.

01-02-2011 12:19:02 | More by frickersticker3
tragicrock

3.75/5  rDev +15%

First off, I drink my beer from an authentic German bierkrug with a pewter lid. Seems people don't like this beer, but I cannot find anything wrong with it. I bought it due to limit choices but was not disappointed. The aroma was amazing when I would open the lid. People also say its not an IPA and I disagree. I guess they use Columbus hops, which are very strong, bitter, and big...but whatever they are I think they get the job done. Nice alcohol content and the taste is very balanced. So yeah, it doesn't punch you in the face like some IPAs, but it's very hoppy and balanced. I wouldn't choose this over many other IPAs, but if it were you're only choice, it's good. Cheers!

01-18-2011 15:31:01 | More by tragicrock
b33rb1tch

Washington

2.68/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into a tulip glass. Translucent orange color with about an inch and a half of white head. Very, very mild citrus smell.

Tastes pretty metallic, with orange, bitter grapefruit, and hops. Generally pretty mild taste.

The mouthfeel is watery.

Overall, drinkable, but definitely not one of the better IPAs Ive had.

01-24-2012 23:19:16 | More by b33rb1tch
CT949

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

In my opinion, Long Hammer is an easy-drinking, tasteful ale. Is it one of the best IPAs on the market? No, but it's been one of my top-10 beers for five years or so, and I don't see that changing in the future. Honestly, to me it is more of an APA than an IPA.

Redhook (and realistically all Craft Brew Alliance beers) are hit-or-miss, but Long Hammer is a solid brew to me. I can see this being a solid transition beer for people entering the IPA realm.

Very drinkable, good taste, not too heavy, affordable.

05-14-2013 01:55:06 | More by CT949
godzillalad

Ireland

3.83/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice refreshing IPA, not too bitter with a long lasting malty taste

Its the kind of beer I would drink a lot of if it wasn't quite so strong, but I drink a lot of it anyways...

Bottle in the picture is not the same as the bottle imported to Ireland.

Nice all round IPA

06-13-2013 22:21:21 | More by godzillalad
SquidHead

Delaware

4.01/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Drinking in a Goodwill Basic Beer glass, poured foamy out of a 1 Pint 6 Fl. Oz bottle. Interesting feature about the beer bottle is contrary to the usual long and slick bottle design, the Long Hammer IPA has a short and stout neck with a long bottle shape. It looks like an adult baby bottle.

Color: The color reminds me of an autumn sunset mixed with spring break vomit. Hues of pale yellow brown ripple through the beer, and opaque foam cusps the crest of the glass.

Taste: Like a beer, being my first post the only difference I've noticed between Long Hammer IPA and PBR is that the Long Hammer is heavy regardless of a light color which startled me at the first sip. It tastes hoppy, but it could just be love. As the Long Hammer gets warm it begins to sit in your mouth longer and longer between sips. Rain trickles down the window, I take another sip and reflect over what type of malt that went into the barrel and settle on a mixture of orange and lemon. There's ash in my beer.

08-28-2013 02:16:38 | More by SquidHead
FullOfGluten

2.05/5  rDev -37.1%

The scores I gave this beer are based on it being an IPA. There is nothing about this beer that represents an IPA. This beer tastes a lot like Labatt Blue to me(which I enjoy when I want a generic lager/ale.) It barely has any flavor, and the flavor it does have isn't hops. Overall, I am very disappointed with this beer. I wont be buying it again.

12-13-2013 23:06:52 | More by FullOfGluten
BeerSlut87

South Carolina

3.64/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love the taste of a hoppy beer. With that being said this beer for me is a go to when I want a strong IPA with a mild finish and a full body. It has a bit of an aftertaste that is a pine type finish. It is a solid beer that I think is underrated. The smell is clean and the hops really jump out. Overall a great beer that should be tried.

01-24-2014 03:32:51 | More by BeerSlut87
Ando

Louisiana

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good IPA. It certainly does not compare to the greats like Stone or Dogfish Head, but it is nevertheless an excellent brew. While the taste isn't going to wow you with in complexity or intriguing subtleties, Red Hook does achieve a very good balance between hops and fruit. This IPA also has a lingering thickness that makes the mouthfeel enjoyable. Very drinkable. Overall, a pretty good beer that I would buy again.

09-02-2006 23:45:26 | More by Ando
highwa51

Arkansas

I was very surprised to log onto beeradvocate.com and find that this beer only earned a C+ overall and a C- from the bros. I found that this beer was exquisitely drinkable and delicious. I was in the mood for a spring beer. I usually drink dark malty beers, but i felt a craving for a very hoppy beer, maybe due to the approaching summer and higher temps. I saw this IPA in the air force base shoppette and opted for the RedHook ESB instead (very good ale). After a few stops I finally picked up the longhammer. This IPA hits the spot... perfectly!

Appearance - I drink this brew straight from the bottle. I would have poured it into a goblet of some sort, but I just got off work and I need a beer.

Smell - this beer smells very much like an IPA, but with overtones not unlike freshcut grass, and an obvious alcohol possession.

Taste - after smelling the longhammer I took a very apprehensive swig. First off I was blown away by the balance. The taste was very hoppy and bitter, but finished with an exceptional sweet smoothness.

Mouthfeel - very crisp, and refreshing.

Drinkability - I believe this is one of the most drinkable beers i have tasted.

Some people might be taken back by the absence of the bitterness in this IPA. It is too strong and bitter to be a pale ale. But, if you are looking for balance... look no further.

03-29-2008 02:16:19 | More by highwa51
tomj6

Connecticut

2.35/5  rDev -27.9%

Tried this beer for the first time not expecting much and thats exactly what I found. Nice hop aroma and even starts off decent (bittering hops). After that there was nothing. No complexity or balance. There are too many good IPAs out there to bother with this subpar brew.

09-21-2008 23:32:55 | More by tomj6
jdrio

Washington

3.95/5  rDev +21.2%

This may not be an exceptional beer, but it's such a good beer that I don't think it receives enough credit. It's not particularly hoppy, but is has a tingly bitterness and enough mouthfeel to be a reliable standby that compliments most food and makes a wonderful summer ale. It's a fine stepping-stone into the IPA world, better out of the tap but solid out of the bottle.

05-22-2009 03:07:13 | More by jdrio
RemittanceMan

3.9/5  rDev +19.6%

I am new to trying IPAs from many years of Bud Light etc... I really enjoy Long Hammer. Nice smell once the top it popped and it goes down very smooth. Perfect IPA for a summer afternoon.

I would suggest this beer to anyone delving the great world of IPAs as a starter beer.

05-26-2010 23:57:16 | More by RemittanceMan