Redhook Treblehook - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook TreblehookRedhook Treblehook

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

American Barleywine |  10.10% ABV

Treblehook is vigorously hopped and patiently aged with aromatic malt and spicy hop notes. Smooth and complex, this beer is carefully brewed by hand with sublte caramel, toffee and chocolate notes.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 11-21-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Treblehook Alström Bros

2010 version.

A- Dark red with a white cap that has decent retention. A creamy pillow and ring leaves a nice coat of lace, probably the best thing about this beer.

S- Dark alcoholic fruit and deep caramel malt up front. I get a note that reminds me of salt and vinegar chips. Some bread notes.

T- Not sure what went wrong here. This somehow tastes to me like a mixture of salt and vinegar chips and dark fruit as well as grapes/apples. Alcohol comes through and does not help. Kind of has a flavored vodka feel mixed with bread or something. It starts out actually decent but the finish drains any positive quality out of this. Soapy notes later on.

MF- Light end creamy body silky carbonation. I swear there is an acidic thing going on here. A bit of warmth. Way too thin.

DB- Each sip brings a hard grimmace on my face. I hate wasting beer but this thing might have to go down the drain. I love salt and vinegar chips but not mixed with bread, apples and grape vodka. I hate to be harsh but this was hard to drink.

cbutova, Dec 14, 2010

jaycar06, Dec 22, 2013

morebeergood, Jan 14, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -40.1%

I am not a Barley Wine fan, so do not expect to read a good review from me...that doesn't mean that this beer is not good....it is just not good to me. The color was cloudy amber with thin head. The smell was of alcohol and apples. The apples helps to mask the booze but for only so long until the booze kicks in. The mouthfeel was not great for me and I would not choose to drink this beer.

WoodBrew, Apr 05, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -38%

Poured from a 650ml bottle in to a typical pint glass. The bottling date reads Sep 08 09. Pours a muddy brown/amber color. More of a light muddy brown w/ off white head and not so much lacing.

The nose is more of caramel & some booze but that is barely even perceived. Very faded hops in the background of this one. The taste is, well, bad. I do not like this take on the style at all. It tastes like a Sugar Daddy mixed w/ a Tootsie Roll & mixed w/ some dried fruit. The label says it was patiently aged (who knows if it was), w/ aromatic malt & spicy hop notes. I get the complex malt. But the spicy hops?? No. The mouthfeel is sticky. Not dry sticky but more like syrup. I've had several barley wines but not one w/ two years on it. That said, I much preferred them to this. This one is just off the mark for me. I'd like to have tasted more of the spicy hops but this was just a very sweet malt bomb. 'Nuff said.

HaysAmerica, Jun 18, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

MistahBeah, Jun 25, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

johnsilk, Feb 05, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

JReites, Jun 02, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

Note: My beer is a bottle of 2009 that has been stored in a wine cooler for the past few years.

A - cloudy, hazy --- ugly mud color

S - Malty, yeasty and prunes

T - whiskey, malty, dark fruits

M - light bodied and light carbonation

O - This is one of the poorer tasting barley wines I have ever had. The aging seemed to weaking it and leave it tasting off --- almost spoiled.

mikechance, Oct 15, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

Nice appearance and aroma, but the taste fades. Might have sat on this too long, which is surprising for a 2010 barleywine. Not a bad barleywine but others at the same price point are much better. I remember having this when it first came out and it had a better bite to it. Aging doesn't help this beer, but instead, hurts it.

deadmonkees, Jan 05, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured dark Reddish Amber color with a half finger of head.
Taste & aroma are of Grapefruit,Caramel,and a pleasent Earthyness.
The hops are bright,citrusy, and balanced with the malt, not as hop forward as other popular American BWs, and doesn't have the full bodied palate coating most other do either, but a very solid BW nontheless.
Nice and easy drinking with a crisp finish.

ChadQuest, Jan 27, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance: clear orange in color with a 2" head that slowly falls. Some mild lacing develops.

Smell: malt sweetness and a hint of floral hops are hard to pull from the glass.

Taste: caramel, ripe plums, red grapes, mild bitterness, and some alcohol is noticeable. Some metallic flavors arrive late.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp to start, smooth and a bit dry at the finish. Long aftertaste here.

Drinbkability: slow sipping beer. The flavors are a bit unbalanced and metallic. Not a barelywine I could recommend.

Gavage, Mar 31, 2010

WynnO, May 19, 2013

Lawnboy33, Nov 14, 2011

Brutus627, Jun 24, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

A - a dark orangeish color, with a full finger of rocky tan head, a few scant streams of swift carbonation zing to the top

S - surprisingly present hop profile, big roasted malts, beneath these elements is a rich brown sugar like sweetness

T - one of the hoppier barleywines i have sampled, quite balanced, nice floral hops balancing the deep molasses-esque sweetness

M&D - not terribly complex, but enjoyable, nice hop flavors, great malty backbone, a nice beer but outside my top ten BW's

sinstaineddemon, Nov 16, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance - This one came out a beautiful, murky brown in color with hints of orange and a nice, full, lasting head that left massive lacing on the inside of my glass. As the head settled on the liquid it left little bubbly pools of foam. This ABW could not look more inviting.

Smell - I found some good, classic winey notes in this aroma but there's a cheap sugary aspect that ruined the experience for me. I'm also not finding any significant hop base which is disappointing given the style.

Taste - The raw malts actually aren't bad but the sweet aspect of this beer leaves me wanting. It is very fake and phony with a rotten aftertaste. I also am not finding much of a hop base to this flavor profile which again disappoints. This is an ABW and should have a stiff hop backbone of some kind, but all I'm getting are some wet and soggy floral notes.

Mouthfeel - This is huge in the mouth, I'd say full-bodied, with a sweet aftertaste that ruins the experience.

Drinkability - I was thoroughly disgusted with this RH effort. Here was a chance to nail a classic beer style, one that we should and have done awesomely in the PacNW, and they put out a low-quality dud like this. I have to admit that this was probably the first time in my life that I dumped a 10+ ABV ale. What a waste.

RoyalT, Mar 20, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -18%

22oz bottle $7.49. Orange-red color, short head, looks like your standard American barleywine. Smells like orange marmalade on bread, coffee cake, grand marnier...it tastes alcoholic and delicious at the same time. It was a little medicinal at first but as it warmed it became more of a boozy citrus flavor. Overall, ehhhh...

ArrogantB, Dec 19, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

taste- bitter hops, yeast in the finish

color- copper

clarity- clear

smell- faint, spiced hop aroma and malt

body- smooth, well balanced, smooth finish, medium-weight palate, alcoholic finish

appearance- looks like a barleywine should, nice slightly off-white creamy head, good thin lace retention, and active carbonation

overall impression- aroma and taste were lacking, no real interesting characteristics, very "one note"; the beer almost tasted stale even though it was brewed four months ago. a barleywine at 10% should be able to go a little distance before shutting down, therefore i don't think it's an issue of age.

notes and comments- not that impressed

glassware: tulip

NorCalYeti, Jan 25, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

harpus, Mar 20, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -14.6%

22 oz bottle I picked up from Hop City in ATL. I believe the bottle was 5.99 or so and is this years (2009) vintage. Have not seen this before but I remembered various people telling me that Red Hooks limited stuff was pretty good, so I took the gamble. Lets go.

A: Pours a nice medium brown in color with a good amberish hue to it. Held to the light, this is very clear, no haze or cloud to it whatsoever. Has a ton of carbonation activity going on, a lot more than expected but it looks good and really feeds the head well. The head is a deeper off white, almost buttery in color. Thick and pillowing, much more than I expected. The little more than a finger held on incredibly long and throws up some really good lace. This is a good start to this beer.

S: Smell is very hoppy. Its pretty much all hops but it smells almost manufactured or like its a syrup or extract. The hops are very much pine and resinous. There is a touch of citrus fruit as well. The malts are sweet and bready. There is a bit of buttery quality in here as well. Malts aren't involved enough to give more description, mostly just that hops aroma.

T: Flavor is much like the aroma. The hops are very forward and there isn't much balance here. This wants to be a hop bomb and has no balance. The flavor also has that manufactured feel to the hops are well. Just very potent with the pine resin. Malts are light in flavor and I am mostly just getting a bread and butter type flavor. Wish I was getting more but alas.

M: Medium in body, heavier side. Not as heavy or slick as I want from a BW. Carbonation is not as high as the look suggested, more of a lighter medium carbonation. Works well. Bitter on the palate. Aftertaste and taste overall is pine resin.

D: Meh. Its above average here but we can all do better. It just feels like this beer could use a little more atttention and crafting. Its obvious this came from a larger brewer because of the mediocrity in my opinion. Its just the hops are running rampant and this is heartburn waiting to happen. It doesn't have any balanc that the bottle seems to suggest and I probably should have aged it a bit to kill off some of these hops. Its not bad, but its not going to blow any minds hopefully. Still a decent effort and can be appreciated. Yet again, meh.

everetends, Dec 31, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

I try to be fair with this style, but I'm not really a fan of it. I'm looking at this style like I was looking at IPA a few years ago. Didn't really care for them either now I love them, so I keep trying new ones in hopes of finding one I really enjoy to kick start the passion for this style. With the "take with a grain of salt" warning message out of the way...on to the review

A: Slightly cloudy, Amber hue decent tan head that seems to stick around for awhile. Some carbonation can be seen for decoration.

S: Kinda brown sugary in scent, slight alcohol undertone and a bit of yeast hits my senses.

T: The alcohol is more apparent now. Very bitter. The malts really come out to grab the attention now. Surprisingly not much of a vinegary winey taste that I associate most wine beer styles too.

M: Full bodied beer that allows droplet friends to follow in the exact path.

D: I like this better then most wine style beers, but I think the alcohol really would deter me from having a few of these.

bilyboy65, Feb 20, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

2010 series 12oz bottle poured into a St. Bernardus glass.

A: Pours dark golden-red, ruby dark red when held to the light. Half inch head that dissipates quickly. Decent rings of lacing.

S: Sweet candy apple, bright citrus hop, cherries, toasted biscuits and sweet breads.

T: Very sweet caramel malt, tastes like a candied apple. I get a lot of cherries, toasted biscuits and breads, a decent amount of citrus hops, and a lot of heat. Finishes very dry and hot, sweet with a little hop bitterness. I would have liked a little less cherry and more complexity.

M: Medium carbonation, medium body. Chewy, very dry and hot.

D: Not the biggest fan of the cherry dominated flavor and the high heat, but did drink it pretty quickly without a problem, so it can't be bad. I'd say it drinks like you're average Barleywine, maybe a little harder due to the heat.

Satchboogie, Dec 24, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

The sienna colored body looked clear, and had decent carbonation to form a short but durable head. The aroma was very fruity, with plum, cherry, and mandarin oranges being prominent. The taste was much milder than I was anticipating, and felt very honey like, with little to no evolution during each sip. The alcohol was very evident, and presented itself in the form of a significant warming. The texture was soft, but lacked the typical stickiness I enjoy with the style. The spicy hop notes mentioned on the label were a no show in my glass. I will hold on to the second bottle I picked up to see if this developes more down the road.

rajendra82, Jan 18, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

Served on tap at The Redhook Brewery in Portsmouth, NH.

Pours medium dark brown with reddish hints. Some foam tops it off, and is retained fairly well.

Lots of malt in both the smell and taste. Earthy. Not really sweet, but notes of toffee/caramel. Some kind of fruit in there too - almost rhubarb, or maybe even fig-gish. The 10% ABV is notable.

Medium carbonation - not heavy, certainly buried under the taste. A sipper thats for sure.

I'm not the biggest Barleywine fan, but thought this one was enjoyable. A good offering.

KTCamm, Oct 24, 2010