2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brewery Backyard Series: Saturnaleia Double Red Ale - Redhook Ale Brewery

Brewery Backyard Series: Saturnaleia Double Red Ale
No picture uploaded.

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

American Strong Ale |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: lordofthewiens on 01-10-2009)
View: Beers (45) |  Events

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

03-04-2012 06:45:06 | More by cestlavie
GarthDanielson

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured as part of a barrel tasting, this is 2010 vintage. Served in a snifter, the beer is a bright, orange-copper coloring that is vibrant and crystal clear. Filmy, sparse white head covering inconsistently. The nose is more like an IPA, with a floral and citrus hop blend that smells delicious. Flavors are light and robust, with a floral and grapefruit blast along the tongue, with a spicy endnote on the palate. A light, sweet caramel backbone allows the fruit and flower character to burst on the tastebuds. The aftertaste is rich and hoppy, with a tart citrus character that is like sucking on a grapefruit wedge. Bitter, slightly drying finish. Good beer, but strikes me more like an IPA than anything.

Serving type: cask

02-26-2012 21:08:30 | More by GarthDanielson
Stoffel

01-06-2012 20:19:46 | More by Stoffel
deltatauhobbit

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Another beer I wanted to try during KtG day, I missed my chance to try it the first time they made it so I'm glad they held onto some. Aged 2 years, listed as an American Strong Ale but has much in common with an Imperial Red.

Pours a deep amber color with a thin light tan head, fades at a good rate and leaves a bit of lacing along the glass.

Smell is amazing, it still has this intense hop and citrus aroma that is quite surprising considering it's been two years since it was made, I can only imagine how hoppy it was fresh.

Taste is similar to the aroma in that the hop presence really shines through and leaves a good bitter piney aftertaste with hints of citrus, the caramel malt backing makes a bigger showing though and does help to smooth things over, can still tell this is a big beer and I don't think I could handle more than a pint of it though.

Very glad I got to try this amazing beer, wish Redhook would bottle more of these experiments, even if it was released only at the brewery I would make the trip there (plus, the food is great).

03-10-2010 23:32:28 | More by deltatauhobbit
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

On tap at the brewpub in Portsmouth. After reading about it, I really wanted to like it, but...

The beer pours a reddish amber color with good head retention. On the nose this beer is very sweet and malty, and the high alcohol is noticeable. If anything, the beer was even sweeter and maltier then I was excpecting from the nose, and there is considerable alcoholic bite in the finish. Coupled with the sweet malty flavor, the alcohol flavor is extremely pervasive and unpleasant. There is a slight roastiness as well, but it's barely detectable with the amount of malty sweetness I get in this beer. This beer was very boozy and sweet on the finish, and I was every so happy that I only ordered a sample size glass (which I couldn't finish).

Not very impresssed...

03-01-2010 14:17:21 | More by johnmichaelsen
Kegatron

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

On nitro-tap at the Cataqua Public House (Portsmouth, NH) on 2/20/09. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear amber with a thin covering of foamy beige head. Retention is pretty good, flaring up nicely when swirled, leaving some pretty nice looking spotty lacing behind. The aroma is quite floral and spicy with some slight resinous notes as well, that are quickly followed by a deep tangy scent of citrus, bread, and caramel.

The taste is similar to the aroma but a bit less aggressive. Tingling, sticky, hop bitterness up front with that then flows into that same mix of tropical fruits and bready caramel sweetness. Unfortunatley, this backbone comes on a little too strong in the second half of the profile, putting the kibosh on some of the hop flavor but some bitterness does survive into the finish, leaving some slightly piney lingering bitterness behind. The mouthfeel is lighter-medium bodied with an extremely easy and creamy feel to it from the nitro that enabled this to just slide down the throat. Very nice!

This was pretty darn decent by Redhook standards and it's a shame that you can only get this on tap at the Portsmouth brewery. The only real aspect I found lacking was the taste (which came off just a tad too sweet) but this was still a tasty and very drinkable brew.

02-27-2009 17:54:40 | More by Kegatron
lordofthewiens

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer is called a Double Red Ale at Redhook, but the brewer said to categorize it as an American Strong Ale. I think it's a great effort. I had a small sampling at a beer dinner, and thoroughly enjoyed it. In the pub, the beer is served nitro-tap. It is a dark amber color with a thick, very sticky, tan head. Aroma is mostly fruit, citrus and cherry, with a nice malt presence. More noticeable malt taste with a great hops kick that really lingers.
I would be happy to drink this beer whenever I get to Redhook.

Went back recently and had the CO2 version of the Saturnalia. I thought it was a little crisper and sharper than the nitro version. Very nice.

02-25-2009 14:30:26 | More by lordofthewiens
Stockfan42

The pour is great, dark red body with a golden pour and creamy head of foam. A overwhelming aroma of hops floods your nose forcing you into a 2 minute coma.

An extremly creamy body with nothing there to taste but hops, hops, and more hops. Not exactly a heavy beer but it wouldn't or shouldn't be classified as light either, but still goes down good and leaves an great taste of hops.

I've been up to the redhook brewery just recently to grab one of these bad lary's and it just wasn't the same as times before. It seemed a little darker, the gold pour wasnt there, maybe it was the end of the tap I do not know but it is my favorite hop option and recommend it to anyone who loves hops.

02-10-2009 18:25:20 | More by Stockfan42
drocpsu

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Had thie beer on tap at the Redhook brewery (Cataqua House). Served on nitro tap into a standard pint glass. I'd heard good things about the beer, but didn't know what to expect.

Appearance:
The beer was a dark amber red color. Looked like a normal red ale except for the 3/4" creamy nitro head, which looked stayed with the beer for the entire glass. Left significant lacing on the glass.

Smell:
The beer had the strong aroma of piney hops (cascade hops, possibly?), which was surprising to me for such an amber looking ale.

Mouthfeel:
Beer had good body. Not too light, but not overly heavy either. Nice and creamy, thanks to the nitro tap.

Flavor:
Pretty hoppy for a red ale, but not overpowering. It was surprising to me. I'm not typically one for overly hoppy beers (I can't get into IPAs). This beer had a nice bite to it but wasn't overpowering.

Overall, I liked it and would definitely get it again. I hope Redhook continues to create interesting new beers like this, if only to serve on tap at the brew house. I just wish I got to try their maibock when it was on tap.

02-03-2009 03:40:52 | More by drocpsu
JJDynomite

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

I'm quite suprised not to see more reviews of this fine, fine beer. It's too bad that it is only available at the Cataqua Public House. CBAI... pay attention! This is a good beer. You should have Redhook make more of it! I can say that now because they no longer pay my bills.
Appearance: Just a shade darker brown than red, but I guess redish would fit the bill. A nice long pour off of the nito tap raised an immaculate head. Nice lacing.
Smell: The smell is of sweet malt and slap the taste out yo' mouth Simcoe hops. Hot diggity... there's no hiding that Simcoe! Taste: Good and balanced mouthfeel leads to a strong malt backbone, but wait... what's that? Oh yes, <WHAP> there's that Simcoe hop flavor again to beat me up a bit more. My taste buds are reeling in a resiny hop choke hold. And then, the nitrogen comes in to smooth the whole thing out. Ahhh...
Mouthfeel: Smooth and and silky thanks to that nitrogen. In the bottle, the hop aromatics spring to life just a bit more because of the Co2. (I have a privlidged perspective. Just trust me on this one.)
Overall, this is quite a tasty offering from Redhook and one that I think could breathe some new life into the company. I hope that the higher ups read this little review and take note of a brewer's perspective of their product. Andy and Steve... you done good. Cheers, fellas. Come to Delaware soon!

01-19-2009 05:47:30 | More by JJDynomite
tkeHijacker

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

While I did not do a formal review of this, I thought I would share my thoughts when I sipped this at the Redhook Brewers in Portsmouth, NH.

A: Great orange/amber color with cascading nitrogen foaming and staying on top throughout the beer. Foam stuck to the glass and my upperlip.

S: Great grassy hop aroma and dark fruit/cherry notes.

T: Grassy nops clingin onto more hops with some sweet fruity backbone to hold the beer up.

M: Nitrogen, need I say more? Smooth velvety creamy medium to heavy body sits well with me.

D: No more than one of these in a sitting, but definatly would not mind being closer to the brewery so I could enjoy many sittings...

01-12-2009 00:47:08 | More by tkeHijacker