Redhook Tripel - Redhook Ale Brewery

good

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

Tripel |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 03-11-2009)
DocSkalski

4.97/5  rDev +34.7%

Appearance - Pours a nice clear golden orange, with a thin head and light lacing as you drink. Could use a bit more carbonation for my taste, otherwise perfect.

Smell - This is my favorite part of the beer. The aroma is similar to what you smell when brewing with Carapils specialty grains in the initial mash. It is a bit unusual, but it pleases my nose more than any beer ever has. Many may not appreciate this the way I do, so I admit I'm biased, but the smell takes me to my own happy little world of bliss and wonder. Lol

Taste - Hits your palate hard with the thick bodifull flavors of a perfectly roasted malt, smoothes to a balanced bitter sweet flavor (mostly sweet), and finishes with a sweet floral and Nobel hops touch. This is a wonderful flow of events that keeps you drinking and enjoying the brew.

Mouth feel - The mouth feel is just as if not more prominent and wonderful than the taste. The beer seems to release its carbonation as it hits your tongue, holds steady with that smooth/sharp exuberance and then fades with a light tingle revealing a quick flourish of flavors. No other beer I've tried presents its mouth feel quite so prominently or uses it to such an advantage in enhancing the beer's flavor.

D- As I said before, this beer encourages you with each swallow, and at 10.2% ABV it'll sneak up on you. This beer is 2nd to none. On my personal "best of BA" list, this ranks in at #2, 2nd to the Westvleteren 12 I've yet to try (I hope it's better, but I don't see how it could be).

p.s. - Served in a Chimay goblet.

05-06-2010 23:31:17 | More by DocSkalski
JKFox

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

Amazing flavors I must say. Little disappointed at the Cloves as I could not taste them feeling the Vanilla and Cinnamon overpowering it. A nice bitter bit to it. However I did notice that there was no left over fermintation on the bottom as most True Belgian Styles do. Not a big downer though, I got my money's worth. None the less a great addition to the Redhook Family. Great Brew from the Western Washington Area!

11-05-2009 09:10:39 | More by JKFox
muchloveforhops3

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +22%

11-13-2012 06:47:16 | More by muchloveforhops3
Bierman9

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

Stopped by the brewery yesterday and picked up a 22oz bottle from the store - $7.99. Popped it today - bottle had a frosted, painted aspect to it, with the Redhook logo and "limited edition" sprayed on. Attached to that was a small, paper label with the ingredients for the Tripel, plus the ABV, head brewer, and bottling date (5/21/09).

Poured into a small Smuttynose tulip, the Tripel was a clear, bright, deep golden color. There was plentiful carbo rising topside at a frenetic pace. Head was thinnish and white, mostly sticking to the edge of the glass. Lacing was very nice, overall. Aroma was a bit biscuity, with hints of vanilla and candy sugar. Regarding the body, it was a solid medium-plus, and the liquid itself was quite smooth whilst passing over the tongue. Solid? Solid!

Nice sweetness leads off the flavor category. Tasty pale malts kick things off, with subtle vanilla coming into play. There follows some tropical fruit traits, with a mild, spicy yeast bite at the finish. This Tripel completes its journey in a rather dry fashion, and leaves a calling card welcoming imbibers to knock on its door whenever in the neighborhood. I'd make a second visit!

Prosit!!

4.4
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4.5

07-11-2009 23:19:39 | More by Bierman9
GWaters

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

Served from a 22 oz. refrigerated bomber.
Served in a Sam Adams Oktoberfest Beer Mug (frosted)

A- Good ambery orange color. Good frothy head w/ some nice lacing on the mug.

S- Smell of dark fruits and alcohol essence. Very tangy in the smell.

T- The taste is tasty, caramel, dark fruits, and vodka...I mean the alcohol. This has a kick to say the least.

M- Thin to medium body.

D- Easy to drink, but watch out for the alcohol, that packs a punch! I was pretty well off before I knew it.

08-01-2009 03:53:23 | More by GWaters
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

Strong aroma is malty with a fruity undertone and hints of hops as well as a good alcohol bite. It pours a nice clear amber with some bubbles and a decent, if not persistent, white head. Rich, mouth-filling flavor is malty, fruity and just slightly smoky with a hoppy hint and a bit of alcohol zing. Lively, sassy texture dances on the tongue and all the way down the pipes.

11-24-2009 03:40:49 | More by Cyberkedi
GilGarp

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

Bottled May 3, 2009.

Pours into the frosted bomber into a chalice glass with unusually dark color - a golden orange with good clarity and thin cream colored head.

Aroma is pleasant but subtle with a nice fruity spicy character that is perfectly suited to the style. Yeast comes across fairly strong but it's pleasant.

Flavor is intense with lots of good banana and tropical fruit, strong spice notes, and alcohol. I've never seen a tripel this high in ABV but it works alright. I definately get a warming sensation but it's not 'hot' as they say.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with good level of carbonation for the style although I prefer it to be less.

Overall the flavor is on target and the aroma is nice. It's a good American interpretation of the style. As usual, we have to go big and this is definately a BIG tripel.

05-30-2009 02:00:09 | More by GilGarp
NeroFiddled

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

A rough pour brought up a fairly large head of frothy tan foam that then steadily dwindled down to a thin surface curtain and average collar. Only minor spotty lace was left behind. (I'd just cleaned my glass with salt and water - no soap).

The aroma expressed soft vanilla, and delicate tropical, red and dark skinned fruits. Nothing was really specific, except for perhaps some banana, but they were all clearly present. No alcohol was noticeable.

Unfortunately the same thing happened in the flavor... I pick up some banana, even coconut, and a hint of papaya on the tropical side; some plum/prune/raisin on the dark side; and some non-determined road-side berries and a hint of dark cherry on the red side. They're all there, but nothing really speaks up. On the other hand, is that really so bad? With several tastings I think I'm starting to enjoy the subtlety of the wide range of flavors. But I'm also getting some vanilla, which is nice, and all of these are buoyed by the softly sugary and bready malt notes. I only get really minor notes of pepper and spice, which is OK; and the restrained bitterness is still enough to guide it into a drying finish with a slight flicker of alcohol. (At 10.2% ABV I'd expect more of a slap, but they've kept this one under control!).

So, in the end, I guess I have to throw some good numbers at this one. It's mainstream in a way (a word that I'd imagine a lot of people would use to describe Redhook beers in general, but that's not my intention here), but it's also very enticing and fulfilling. I really love the way the flavors gently swirl around. It's superbly rounded and remarkably well-balanced (too balanced?...). If I had the opportunity, I would buy a case of this to enjoy on nights when I've already done my tastings, or to bring to parties to introduce newbies to something exciting. Beyond that, I'd at the very least say it's worth trying. Kudos!

08-13-2009 22:18:57 | More by NeroFiddled
dstc

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a deep gold with a off-white head. Head falls to a almost nothing with no lace to speak of.

Sweet, herbal and somewhat metallic aroma.

Rather sweet taste yet tangy. Very full flavored, warming alcohol. Ends a bit sweet then has a lingering bitter aftertaste.

Rather full in the mouth.

I like it. Bit surprised. Nice offering from Redhook.

09-17-2009 13:23:21 | More by dstc
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

A - golden amber, with two fingers of white pillowy head, massive amounts of carbonation

S - sweet and bready aroma, a mild banana/vanilla combination that other reviewers mentions is present, a slight spice note, perhaps clove

T - the taste is sweeter than i thought it would be, instead of yeasty/bready with banana/vanilla sweetness, its vice versa, some soft slightly sweet oak notes

M&D - soft is the best way to describe this, smooth and slightly syrupy, effervescent despite this, nice brew

09-26-2009 00:40:36 | More by sinstaineddemon
Gosox8787

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Had on tap at the brewey at Redhook Brewery. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance was a hazy light brown with a quickly receding white head. Smell was pleasant, apple, pear, dark fruit, and some clove. All were in good balance. The alcohol was somewhat noticable but not unpleasant. Taste was more of the same. Good balance with the spices and the fruits. Slight yeasty note present that I could have done without. Mouthfeel was medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. A good match. Drinkability was good considering the high ABV. It was really only noticable in the warming effect after each sip. I would call this dangerously drinkable thanks to the pleasant flavor.

Overall, I was more than slightly surprised by this as I am not usually a fan of "Budhook." A good tripel that is, at the very least, comparable to others of the style.

09-24-2009 14:07:33 | More by Gosox8787
Docer

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

Been sitting on this bottle in my cooler for a little over a month... date stamped May 04 09. Purchased at Fred Meyer on 39th and SE Hawthorne.

- Light pour into an honest pint mug... little to no head whatsoever... quick tan flash of it, but now just a bubbling copper-penny colored ale with a light ring and lack of lacing. Very sour or cider-like in characteristic... but rather clear, and crisp.

- Little bit of vanilla, light currants.. little bit of oak, clove, and light banana.... semi-sweet malt presence...

- Nice upfront sweetness... the flavor literally transforms in your mouth as you swallow it. Reminds me of those old Genera Hyper-color shirts... but its the flavor. (lol) Well balanced vanilla, oak, some clove and banana... slight tropical zest and spice.... overall pleasant.Not much alcohol in the taste at all.. but once past the throat... big warming and heartburn sensation.

- Slight dryness.... some stickiness and oil... but overall decent....

- What a drinkable ale.. especially for its strength... %10.2 Alc.? Only the warm gut feels it... Overall a very nice ale and a great surprise from Redhook. Still wish I could get their regular Rye ale the once brewed....

09-01-2009 22:47:54 | More by Docer
Riccymon

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours from the bottle a clear, wine-like orange-red color with a bit of head that dies in just a minute. Smell is yeasty and boozy with light notes of orange; a little on the subdued side.

To this point, appearance and aroma haven't blown me away. My first sip, however, reveals the delicious fruity, sweet flavors that I'd expect in a much more expensive Belgian tripel. Notes of grape, orange, and something herbal with a perfect sugary sweetness near the end of each sip. There is a little fusel alcohol around the edges, but this enhances rather than detracts from the flavor, which isn't always the case.

This tripel is medium-bodied, which I found contributes to its drinkability. Redhook's offering also finishes very smoothly and leaves the mouth hydrated. I can't find anything to pick at, really.

I didn't expect to enjoy this beer half as much as I did, but for this price, I'd buy half a dozen more to keep on hand if I could find them. It's not La Fin Du Monde, but it's damn good.

11-15-2009 19:50:22 | More by Riccymon
thedanyes

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

A good heavy-hitting (10.2%!) Belgian Tripel Style Ale from Redhook. I poured straight from the 650ml bottle into a wide snifter. Color was a rich gold with very little head. I thought this beer was a great example of the Belgian Tripel. Nothing really stood out about it as abnormal, and I think that could be considered a compliment.

05-23-2009 05:10:49 | More by thedanyes
jgasparine

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

A- A careful pour from the bottle yielded a thin white head, which quickly gave way to some edge lacing. The body is a perfect bright honey-amber color, with some fine bubble trains observed from the side of the glass.

S- The nose is definitely Belgian (good job RedHook!) with aromas of Belgian yeast, candy sugar, and lesser hints of honey and clove.

T- What do you know- it tastes like a Belgian Tripel! Tons of crackerlike malt, stale hops and belgian yeast flavors, which finish dry and peppery. Little bit of heat from the alcohol going down.

M- Nice medium body- textured with lots of unattenuated sugar... somewhat syrupy... and some nice soft carbonation. Definitely a bigger mouthfeel than I would expect from a Belgian Tripel, but it works REALLY well here.

D- Wow, I could kill this bottle on my own (although prudence tells me not to). Very drinkable, but any session with this brew would ultimately be cut short by the high ABV.

10-05-2009 13:22:24 | More by jgasparine
alexhammond

Maine

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Had this on tap at Redhook. Nice fruity/vanilla scents, and maybe a hint of cinnamon or other spices. Tastes are similar, and the alcohol is hidden pretty well for a 10% abv beer. Despite the high content, it's very drinkable. Only ordered one due to time constraints, so I think I'll try and seek out a bottle of this to have on hand. Fans of this style will probably not be overly impressed, but for someone like myself who doesn't drink a ton of Belgian styles, it's a really solid offering from Redhook.

10-02-2009 14:11:49 | More by alexhammond
lordofthewiens

Maine

My wife was hitting the mall, so I went to the brewery for a beer, and found this on tap. The beer was a golden color with a medium-sized white head that left a fair amount of lacing. It had a sweet and spicy aroma, with a little yeast. Taste was pear and apple, some spice (maybe pepper), and again a bit of yeast. This beer was easy to drink and very enjoyable. I wish I could have brought a growler home, but that was not to be.

05-20-2009 21:39:59 | More by lordofthewiens
tempest

On-tap at Little Ortino's. Served in a 10-oz glass, this tripel appeared a clear oranger with a short white head. It was a simple, but tasty tripel with a mix of spicy and herbal orange candy note. At first I thought the body was a little too thick, but now I see that it was appropriate for a 10% beer. Clearly no hint of alcohol since I couldn't guess the ABV. And when I think about all the Redhook beers I've tried, this is easily the best. It can stand not with the best, but with plenty of Belgium's more respectable brews. Check it out if you like the style.

03-05-2010 15:49:33 | More by tempest
jaycount

Kansas

12-29-2011 17:56:26 | More by jaycount
weeare138

Appears a transparent light gold with a small white head that slowly fades into a tiny head of creamy foam.
Smell is of vanilla, caramel, mineral water, poached pear, honey, and citrus.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with more of light caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, perhaps a hint of bubblegum, golden raisins, and chewy apricots.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, tropical fruit salad lingering along the palate before the yeasty, semi-dry finish

11-20-2009 03:33:09 | More by weeare138
zeledonia

11-15-2011 03:04:05 | More by zeledonia
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

I picked this up at the brewery in Portsmouth while on a tour. The beer pours a crystal clear gold with just a hint of red amber. The aroma is ripe, fruity esters and dry, chalky yeast with a slightly vinous quality. The flavor is sweet upfront followed by a sharp, slightly harsh flavor that seems to be from a combination of the yeast at the alcohol. There are more esters in the flavor with a fruity and also astringent quality. Bitterness and herbal hops are there, but on the milder side. This is a quality brew from Redhook, I would love to see it widely available.

07-26-2009 01:30:40 | More by ericj551
powdersoldier

02-02-2013 17:26:20 | More by powdersoldier
ElGallo

11-19-2011 20:44:12 | More by ElGallo
beer2day

22 month old bottle, aged in the beer fridge. Had made its way to the back of the shelf and almost got overlooked.

Apple cider gold in color, with limited head as expected from the aged bottle. Very active carbonation. Surprisingly nice lace.

Nose is fruity esters with a slightly oily feel. Fairly strong contribution from pears and apples, even some apple pie spice.

Hits fairly light, but builds quickly. Very rich feel with lots of depth. Spicy and tart, with some light candy sugar in the finish. Active carbonation in the feel as well, combining with tart apricots, dates, and grapes, make this a pretty good sipper.

03-15-2011 01:11:26 | More by beer2day