Redhook Blackhook Porter - Redhook Ale Brewery

good

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

English Porter |  5.23% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-24-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Blackhook Porter Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -64.2%

I knew I was in trouble when this porter filled my glass. It poured a watery medium dark brown. Then the smell was a hoppy aroma and that was all.
Upon first sip there was a very bitter hoppy taste, piney flavored. This is not a porter that I've ever experienced before. This is a porter for the drain of my sink. What a big disappoint. I a surprised that Redhook even put this swill on the market. This is the WORST porter that I've ever tasted!!! Why not call this an "IPA Porter".

2.33/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours opaque black, head is a thin white ring.

Smell is smokey chocolate malt with an underlying milk sweetness.

Taste is on the thin side and very similiar to the nose. There is also a mild caramel nuttiness. Finish is dry and crisp.

Mouthfeel is light to medium in body. Far too thin for what I would expect of a porter.

This would be a good crossover beer due to the inoffensive flavor profile. However, the lack of full flavor makes this a poor representation of a porter.

2.4/5  rDev -31.2%

Consumed a month after bottled-on date.

Most transparent 'black' (ruby) i've ever seen, thinner than even Guinness perhaps. This must be quite low in gravity. Pre-sip cling, dirty ivory head.

Nose is caustic, copper/pennies, roast, flat crispy bread, abrasive RH house yeast, coffee grounds. Rootbeer.

Taste is much smoother and palatable. Subtle, English-style porter with an unfortunately dead hop-taste i've got in alot of RH's beers.

Brittle all in all and rather unsatisfying. Pennies. Not so drinkable, but passable in certain situations I suppose.

2.48/5  rDev -28.9%

Agian, like the IPA, there wasn't a whole lot going on. Grainy malts once again, with a slightly roasted finish, a bit thin and boring, no length on the finish. Remeinded me of the IPA, with a slight hint of roasted malt and obviously darker in colour, pretty tame porter. (Cask- GBBF 03')

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

2.53/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is lighter in color and flavor than almost any other porter I have tried. That might not be such a bad thing except that there were other flaws to this beer. Nose is roasted chocolate and coffee and maybe some alcohol. The taste begins with that roasted chocolate/coffee combo but its rather weak. Roasted barley comes and goes very quickly. Body is thin and hurts the flavors potential. The finish really got me though. It was buttery and had an alcohol kick. Really weird and something I did not enjoy. This beer seems to be really mainstreamed and maybe there were some problems with the yeast as well. Not something I'd go back to.

2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

Aroma is malty with a hint of sharp hops and buried beneath that is a smattering of roasted chocolate malt. Dark brown with a smattering of head that mimics sea grass spread on a calm ocean. Initial sip has a bit of lager bite and thinness. Some muted malts and very little roast asspect. It is more in keeping with the older English style porters than the newer, roastier American style porters I favor. It's just not very satisfying it feels lagery.

2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a dark coffee flavor with a tan head that dissipates pretty quickly, leaves a slight ring of foam around the edges. Smells nutty, toasty, and bready. Espresso notes and a hiiiint of chocolate and hazelnut.

Taste is far more bitter- reminds of me a strong cup of starbucks, with that heavily roasted almost burned taste to it, but I dig that kind of coffee, so I don't mind it. Has a strange citrus twist near the end... like lemon peel or something. I don't hate it but it's strange. All of the really tasty chocolate and hazelnut in the nose is lost here.

Mouthfeel is very weak, very watery. Not the thinnest mouthfeel I've encountered, but probably the thinnest in a porter.

Overall I'm not sure I'd want more of these. It's not bad, it's just... not flavorful enough, not enough to balance out the burnt flavor, and the mouthfeel is just too weak.

2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

Bottled on date clearly embossed on the bottle (09 23 03; sampled 02 04 04- had it in my fridge for a good long while)
Aroma: Classic porter grainy nose with a nasty undercurrent of what I can only describe as bile. I’m scared to take a drink.
Appearance: Jet-black, with the slightest bit of light peeking through at the edge. Nice tan head.
Flavor: The taste lacks that rancid note I caught in the nose, so I’m thinking I didn’t get a contaminated bottle, that’s just the way it smells. A bit sweet for a porter, the deep roasted malt taste comes through, but I’m also getting an adjunct like taste, corn, or some other sugar? I don’t know.
Mouthfeel: Bit thin, which also makes me think adjunct.
Overall Impression: Man, I can’t get over that smell. Truly rancid, I don’t think I can get past the amount needed to judge it. Again, with the taste being fairly clean, I really think I got an ok bottle, but I may have to revisit this review just to be sure. Nothing to write home about, and since I can’t drink this one, drinkability has to be a 1. Ick!

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle.

Iridescent dark brown/ruby color. Small but steady head of tan foam.
Aroma is very subtle..some really light chocolate & dark malts.
Burnt malt flavor with a stale chocolate backing. Slightly nutty. You have to let it warm quite a bit to get much of anything for flavor..even then the qualities are a bit vague and fade quickly after each sip.

Not horrible, but I can't imagine choosing this porter over the countless others that have much more flavor.

2.65/5  rDev -24.1%

The beer poured dark brown with a tiny off-white head. The head has died down to nothing, and no lace is forming on the glass as I drink.

The beer has a mild coffee smell to it, very mild.

This beer tastes very thin and watery. There is a mild, ashy bitterness and a little cocoa in the flavor, but it is ruined by the fact that it is so thin tasting. This is what I would imagine something like Fuller's London Porter would taste like if you poured water into it.

The mouthfeel of this beer is terrible. It is incredibly thin and watery.

The drinkability is ok, I guess. It's easy to drink, but the lame flavor and pitiful mouthfeel make me not really want another.

How sad, one of the main reasons I bought this Redhook sampler case was because they don't sell this beer in six packs around here. Oh well, at least it was pretty cheap.

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Short Version:
This is not a great porter. Weak, seltzery, and dry with a roasty metallic dishwatery tang.

Details:
Poured a deep mahogony with a ruby tinge when held up to the light. Not opaque. 1 finger khaki head that didn't stand up very long. Lace was sparse but visible.

On the nose I got almost a sour-citrus dishwater scent. Not strong but also not particulary pleasing. Some malty undertones as well.

Taste is mildy roasty with some burnt coffee and a strong seltzery citrus tang with what I can only describe as a metallic dishwatery flavor. Dry indeed and a tad bitter.

Highly carbonated and surprisingly light bodied. I'd put it on the light side of medium. Flavor is pretty low overall too.

Mouthfeel doesn't really remind me of beer. More like a soda fountain Sprite where the syrup ran out after the first 1" poured.

Finish is way too long. Metallic and bitter in the wrong way.

I won't be buying this beer again. Overall I'm disappointed. Although I've only rated 2 RedHook beers so far my memory of their other beers had me expecting more. Hopefully thinsg pick up a bit with their other ones. I'll keep trying them for now but I'm definitely done with the porter. Maybe I got a bad batch? This one is a little long in the tooth but not enough to completely tank the flavor I suspect.

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a moderately dark brown/black with a negligible head.

Smell is a bit sweet but fairly hollow. Not a whole lot going on. The taste is also quite lacking. It's got a bit of malty sweetness but no hops at all, which kills the balance. I've never been terribly impressed with Redhook's offering, and this one is no exception.

Overall: Don't bother.

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours dark brown with ruby highlights. Topped by a large foamy beige head. Decent lacing. Nose has some nice roasted coffee notes. Taste has echos of that roasted coffee, but not enough, and precious little else. Mild hoppy aftertaste. Very watery mouthfeel. Could justify a five for drinkability becase there is so little resistance, but will grade it a 3 since my desire for another is "eh".

For all the porters that veer towards stouts, here is one that seems to be a very dark brown ale. There are not enough porters in the marketplace, but there are many better examples out there.

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured a deep dark brown, with no noticeable head or apparent lace. Smell was very muted, lightly spice with a hint of caramel. The feel was flat, not enough carbonation for me on this one. Had a weird taste, caramel and coffee, mixed with a wet capet like aftertaste. Overall it is easily forgettable and nothing I will have a try at again I can assure of that.

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

I had the beer from draught. A nice black color with a thick head. Initially the beer had a sour taste, but after several sips the sour taste faded. I'm not sure what the source of the sour taste was. The aftertaste was nice and roasty, and there was a light creaminess from the nitro.

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Sampled a bottle with a date of: 123003 and poured into a pint glass. A small tannish head developed and quickly faded after a few minutes and leaves very little lacing behind on the glass. The appearance is very dark like a robust porter. A chocolate, coffee aroma dominates the senses first hand. No hop aroma at all. First thoughts are something is not quite right. Some kind of rancid foul taste that is hard to describe. It also has a metallic aftertaste too. Mouthfeel is thin. I would like a thicker mouthfeel. After this first glass I don't think I will be asking for another. Too bad I have to finish off 5 more bottles.

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Nicely presented, with two fingers of tan head capping a rich, deep brown body. Yet that's as good as this one gets. Modest aroma with the requisite components--chocolate, a touch of coffee, the faintest amount of caramel--but little stands out. The more I drank this, the more bothersome it became. The taste is thin and a bit sour, and the chocolate and coffee flavors recede in favor of a bitter, but vaguely lemony flavor. Not pleasant, and these adversely affect the mouthfeel.

This was a downer, and not a very good porter. So many better versions exist--Arcadia's London Porter, Anchor Porter, Edmund Fitzgerald, Bell's Porter, Sam Adams Honey Porter, Bully!, and more just off the top of my head. I'd pass on this.

2.8/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours black with tinges of ruby around the edges fwith a thin off-white head. Smells sweet and nutty with burnt malt aromas.

Tastes a bit malty with burnt malt undertones. A bit thin and watery. Taste leaves the palette quickly. Medium bodied but not much there. Weak flavored. Not bad, certainly drinkable but immensely boring. A forgettable beer.

2.83/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours like a standard porter. Black with a two finger head that drops to a thin layer of froth leaving rings of lacing.

Tastes like an iced coffee once all the ice has melted. Weak coffee and chocolate notes. Maybe it's a new style: diet porter...

Mouthfeel is completely out of style. For me, a porter with the consistency of a macro is unpleasant. Also, the carbonation is a bit too much.

Overall, this was a disappointment. I rarely am not happy with porters, but this one just got it wrong. It's not drain-pour, but I won't be getting anymore.

2.83/5  rDev -18.9%

had this on tap at Andy's tonight. Poors out a super dark brown, but with a slightly reddish hue to the edge of it. Not as dark as the normal porter. Creamy cappucino like head. Smelled of slightly roaste coffee, tiny bit of hops, not much else. Wehre's my embers? Where's the chocolate? I dunno. The taste closely mimmicks the nose, a bit of coffee, that's about it. Slight hops bringing up the rear. Finishes incredibly clean, but not surprising considering there wasn't much in the body to begin with.

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

poured from 12oz bottle, head dissapated quickly

deep opaque brown in shade
smells of various deep malts, alcohol
tastes like a bitter variation on a porter, nicely hopped, but not one of my favorite porter styles automatically, albiet unique for a porter.

mouthfeel is creamy and bitter, like an ipa gone dark with a twist

overall i wouldn't purchase again, but was surprised by this one - not the same version of a porter i would expect, and definately hoppy in a good way

2.93/5  rDev -16%

I had this on tap at Gas Light Co. in Portsmouth, right next door to the Portsmouth Brewing Co. The beer has all the makings of a dry Irish stout. It is inky black, has a very smooth creamy off white tannish head. It doesn't have the efforvescence of a Guinness, but it does have the nose that points to chocolatey, roasted, and dry malts. The taste is unfortunate. It doesn't have the nice hoppy balance of a porter and it is really lacking the character of an Irish Dry Stout. It is dry, slightly bitter, but not nearly creamy enough, and just lacking an Hibernian character. This beer really isn't all that good and really doesn't do justice to the American Porter label either.

2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Samuel Smith tulip. Dated 12.04.06. Body was a very dark brown with cola colored highlights. There was a small collar of beige foam throughout the drink.

Smell was mildly floral. Light roasted grain aroma. There was also a slight acidic smell. Nut skins.

Taste was pretty zesty. Roasted malts with a pleasant bitterness that lingers.

Mouthfeel was rather thin with medium carbonation.

Redhook Blackhook Porter from Redhook Ale Brewery