Redhook Plum Funky - Redhook Ale Brewery

No picture uploaded.
good

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

American Wild Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: John_M on 03-01-2010)
spoony

4.5/5  rDev +22%

11-24-2011 01:46:40 | More by djrn2
Gosox8787

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

Presentation: Cask conditioned at the brewery. Poured into a pint glass. Served right above room temperature.

Appearance: Cloudy, deep yellow woth lots of purple/brown undertones. No light coming through this at all. No head whatsoever. The purple tones really give this a color I've never seen before.

Aroma: Sweet plum puree and some light citrus come through nicely. There is a slight amount of funk on the back end too.

Taste: A lot of the same. Much more sour than the aroma. The sourness builds throughout. The sweet plum and citrus notes work pretty well together. The funkiness is not overpowering, but provides a nice backdrop for the plum to shine.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied for a wild ale. Goes down pretty smooth.

Drinkability: This doesnt feel boozy at all, so I'm guessing the ABV is low. This is just tart enough where it is enjoyable and not tart enough where I couldn't have more than one glass.

Overall, an enjoyable sour and a nice nod to plum, a seldom used fruit. Enjoyable, but probably not worth seeking out.

07-03-2010 21:06:19 | More by Gosox8787
Durge

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

A thick cloudy yellow brown color with a decent off-white head and great cascading lace. The aroma gives off a faint sour mash cherry and brown sugar sweetness, very alluring but not overpowering. The flavor jumps out with big sour apple and brown bread, a tad watery with very minor carbonation. After a few licks you get a bit more sweetness from the brown bread side but the tart lemon apple cherry fruits dominate. If you like that, you'll love this and I'm a fan! May not be the best thing to have with your tuna melt as I did but it does the job for a sour-ish brew. I think that my experience with true sour beers helped to make this "wild ale" entirely palatable and not as shocking as some others at the bar that day found it to be. Very tasty for a pint or two.

04-26-2010 22:08:33 | More by Durge
alkchrios

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

a. looks like a red ale
t. like a mediocre barley wine with hints of grapes, apricot, and plum...very sweet
s. no hop aroma...its a sour mash...fruits and sugars
m. crisp and clean hardly any carbonation
d. one or two...not my style...good thing it was just a sample.

03-12-2010 18:49:36 | More by alkchrios
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

Apparently after talking to a couple employees at Redhook, it was a botched sour mashed job, they dumped about 80% and they decided to mess around with the rest to see if they could salvage it. They added Brettanomyces yeast and then aged on it American Oak with Plum puree.

Pours a very hazy, unfiltered, red/purple color, it actually reminds me very much of unprocessed apple cider.

Smell has a light funk aroma, large amount of fruit, specifically plum (no way!).

Taste at first was not as sour or funky as I was hoping, but after a few more gulps, I was actually glad for that, there is a light funk/sourness though but the fruity plum puree presence softens that aspect and makes it quite drinkable, I think I went through a pint of this in very fast fashion, fortunately I don't think it's overly strong (probably 5% or less), carbonation is actually quite similar to what happens to apple cider when it you let it sit in the jug for a few months to ferment, it's present but it's not overly assertive so there's a nice soft mouthfeel.

This was a beer I was looking forward to trying during the KtG day festivities. Quite glad I got to try it, sad it's only a one-off and even more sad they wouldn't let me have a growler of it.

03-10-2010 22:51:58 | More by deltatauhobbit
ColForbinBC

3.1/5  rDev -16%

On cask served in a pint glass

Pours a chilled amber with no head whatsoever. Just some loose bubbles. Not sure if its the name playing tricks with me, but this has a purplish hue to it.

Aroma of light citrus rind, plums, honey, and some horse blanket funk. Pretty simple and straightforward and somewhat underwhelming.

Sour citric lemon and plums. A honey like sweetness overlays the sour enough to cut it back. Not terribly sour by any means. For beginners.

Spritzy, light and playful on the tongue. No real depth, somewhat one dimensional.

Given the overall lack of puckering, this is pretty drinkable. But then again, it is very underwhelming.

03-06-2010 01:32:23 | More by ColForbinBC
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

Had this one at the Redhook Brewery after taking the tour. Looks like John was there the same day I was....

Poured a darker amber color with a good amount of haze to it. Decent head left some good lacing. My wife said it had a purple tint to it, but I didn't really notice it.

The aroma wasn't as sour as I had expected (or hoped) after hearing the tour guides description of it. It was sour, but not quite as strong as it was made out to be. I got some lemon, plum, and some funk, but it had a good sweetness to the smell, as well.

The flavor was even more of a let down for me, but it did make me appreciate the aroma more. The sourness was pretty low on the pucker scale. More sweet than sour, imo. It was a nicely balanced brew...it just reminded me more of a Lambic, I guess. I did enjoy the plum flavor that came through. That's one you rarely see in beers.

Slightly prickly mouthfeel with a sweet and sour candy-like aftertaste. It was easy to drink and think it would make a nice gateway beer to get someone into the sours. I was really excited to try something like this from Redhook. Just wish it was a bit more exciting...

03-05-2010 21:50:12 | More by Imstillthegman
John_M

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap at the brewpub in Portsmouth last night

The beer pours a slightly hazy amber color with OK head retention and lacing. On the nose I get some light lemon sour and plum. I actually get considerable more of a sour aroma then I do on the palate, which shows only light sour, coupled with some sweet plum flavor. The beer is nicely balanced and is very light on the palate, and is very easy to take. Don't know the alcohol, but would assume it is pretty low. There is some prickly sour on the finish, but the sweet malt and honey flavors really dominate in this one. Drinkabilty is pretty good, though I wouldn't mind a bit more flavor.

Couple of thoughts. This beer totally works for me, but that's because I'm not a big sour fan. Someone who was a fan of Russian River sours or Cantillon would laugh at this effort; would definitely call this a "training wheels" sour.

03-01-2010 14:39:15 | More by John_M