Redhook Pilsner - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: RedDiamond on 03-22-2010

Czech out Redhook’s newest brew. Redhook Pilsner is crisp, golden lager that is modeled after those historic beers originally made in Plzeň, Czechoslovakia. Redhook Pilsner’s maltiness is offset by a medium dose of Saaz hops and finishes with a clean, bright, thirst-quenching quality. A great “session” lager for when you’ve got a long day ahead of drinking.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Pilsner Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a slightly hazy, golden straw color. Bubbly white head dissipates quickly. No lacing.

Smells of sweet malt, some fruit and grass in the background. A faint hint of banana.

Some sweet malt up front, some grass and citrus notes in the middle, and a mild hop finish. Some hop after taste.

Mouthfeel is crisp, with quite a bit of carbonation.

I didn’t know Red Hook made a pils. A pleasant surprise. I will gladly drink another.

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Hazy yellow with 1/2 finger of coarse nicotine stained head

Aroma- floral, banana, honey, melon, citrus

Taste- clove, light corn banana, shampoo. This drinks a bit like a lighter crisper heff IMO. Hops are resiny with a touch of citrus rind. Just a hint of skunk as it warms it gets more of a honey taste.

Mouthfeel- a little fizzy for my taste, but good for the style.

Overall- to me it taste like a lighter thinner heff. Sessionable perhaps not as filling. Another tasty lawn mower beer, but nothing new.

3.37/5  rDev -2.6%

Tried this on tap at Pine Bar as one of their new offerings.

A - It had decent lacing, but was beer itself was a touch too clear.

S - nice cereal / grainy aroma.

T - again grains were pronounced, but it had a delayed sweet aftertaste; if not for that, this would easily have been a 4.

M / D - this one is an easy drinker and is certainly thirst-quenching, but the score reflects the "good-but-not-great" brew.

3.56/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Clear, light, golden pilsner with a nice white head.

S: Light cereal grain aromas.

T: Light sweetness from beginning to finnish. Mild grain flavors in the background. Corn in the finish. No obvious hops. Could use a slight bitterness to help balance.

M: Light bodied, smooth pilsner. Decent carbonation.

D: Easy drinker. Low complexity, and light sweet flavors make this a good beer to drink on a hot day.

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

I love a good pilsner and it's a favourite style of mine; I always liken it to a lager, but with a little extra punch. I've yet to truly find one that blows my socks off but most I have are definitely drinkable, and Redhook Pilsner is no exception.

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle into a glass tankard

A- It has a hazy golden look with a short-lived head. No lacing can be seen.

S- Interesting. There are notable hints of honey, banana and melon aromas with a touch of Saaz hops. Smells sort of like a hefeweizen in lager form.

T- Not bad. Small bit of fruity sweetness similar to the aroma followed by some moderate hop bitterness. Not the best balanced beer though.

M- Moderate carbonation

O- This is worth a try. Makes a decent session beer.

3.28/5  rDev -5.2%

Out of the bottle and into the glass. It is summer time, let's have some pilsner!

This has a thin, light head which disappears almost instantly. A nice, golden color with some darker bronze hues in the body.

Notes are an aromatic yeast with a light bread aroma. Light on all accounts as well as in flavor. There is a dry, grainy flavor which sticks around for a while.

very drinkable on a summer day. Rope Swing has more character and body than most American lagers but not much more.

4.38/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

FINALLY! Craft-brewers (even big corporate ones...) are doing solid Pilseners. This compares well to Sam's Noble Pils (though SA's is dryer) but not quite as complex. That would make sense as Noble Pils is more of a German-style pilsener (though not super-crisp, Jever-style), whereas this is a solid Czech/Bohemian Pils.

Reminds me of Prague...really.

Nothing dramatic to write home about...but since when is beer really SUPPOSED to be that? Does Mom want to know beer? A beer to drink with friends...over hours of in-person conversation (no texting or cell phones allowed).

A lovely true Bohemian Pils, made right here in America!

Na zdraví !!!

3.35/5  rDev -3.2%

This beer is pretty decent. I don't know, perhaps I just am not the biggest fan of Pilsners, but I haven't had one that blows me away. That being said, as far as the style goes, this one is good overall, but also fairly forgettable. I will say however, that I bought a 12 pack Redhook variety pack to sample some of their beers, and this one was probably the best by a mild margin. The look is what your would expect, golden, straw coloring, with a decent head. As far as smell, I don't smell much other then some malt a lemony kind of smell. Taste has some hops to it which I like, but stays within the characteristics of the style. And the carbonation and mouthfeel fit also. Nothing amazing, but I would come back to this beer again if I was looking for a non big brewery Pilsner.

3.71/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Pours a clear golden color with a white one finger head. Small amount of lacing. Great clarity.

S: Some noble hop aroma. Herbs, maybe a little mint, a bit of earthiness. Hop aroma is a little spicy as well. A little honey sweetness in the nose.

T: Spicy noble hops, a little honey, or light caramel. Clean finish. Moderate hop bitterness.

M: Good and light in body as a pilsner should be.

O: Not bad pilsner, its a little sweeter then pilsners should be but the color and flavor are still good.

2.56/5  rDev -26%

12 oz bottle poured into a New Glarus pint glass. Good amber color, nice head that faded somewhat quickly leaving small amounts on top, decent lacing, solid scent. Very bitter taste, not citrussy, and not super malty, just bitter. Odd for a pilsner style, not what I was expecting. Decent carbonation.

I will finish the 6 pack I have of this, but not buy anymore, and I am happy I got it on a clearout fot $3.99 for the 6 pack or I would have felt like I spent good money on beer I don't really enjoy.

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance - Nice small soft white head. Light golden color.

Smell - Grainy with a little malt and maybe some fruit.

Taste - The grain is there in full affect. Malt is on the light side as it should be. With a sweet pinkie raising aftertaste for a pilsner.

Mouthfeel - Light, soft and lots of carbonation.

Drinkability - Goes down easy. Kind of like water. It is an average beer that would be better without the sweet aftertaste.

4.1/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a signature Red Hook bottle into a you guessed it, a pilsner glass.

A: A clear straw goldish color with a thick two finger head. Tons of carbonation.

S: Slight malty smell with a small hop kick.

T: A nice grain taste similar to a cream ale with a very light hop aroma. The perfect pilsner taste.

M: Very smooth and malty. Highly carbonated but feels good on the tongue.

O: A very nice offering from Red Hook. Glad this is now offered year round. Appreciate the ample ABVs and love the packaging!

4.47/5  rDev +29.2%

Very nice pilsner. Probably the best example of a Czech pilsner I've had that wasn't a home brew. Smooth and very well balanced. Another perfect example of a gateway beer. Very well done redhook.

Anyone who negatively reviews this beer likely does not have a clear understanding of this styles intent.

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

This is great, I just found my new yardwork beer. It's a pilsner so the obvious applies(light in color,thin head, faint aroma). But the flavor is quite nice, there is a nice slightly sweet malt flavor, dare I say maybe a bit grainy/bready, combined with a hop presence that completes the beer. Bubbly, it provides that little prickle on the back of the tounge. This drinks very well.
Congrats to those that brewed this up.
Rope swing is a worthwhile addition to the grocery store beer section. Enjoy.

3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

I find it unfair sometimes that pilsners don't rank high on the beer geek radar. I'm looking at this pilsner in the pilsner category.

Pours clean, crisp and clarified.

Smell - Straw, light pilsner malts. Subtle hops.

Taste - Bold pilsner flavor. Highlighting the noble hops and light malts. This pilsner is crisp, clean, and refreshing. AND CRAFT!

Drinkability - Very drinkable. Hot Atlanta days put this beer as a great go to light bodied beer. Great for tailgating, pool etc.

3.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Bottle aggressive pour into pint glass
A: straw clear clearly carbonated white head good retention no lacing
S: not much smells like a typical macro
T: slight watery clean fresh not hoppy at all malty ricey
M: thin like atypical macro
O: very decent highly drinkable good price. If I had to slum it here's where I draw the line. I love the style but I've gotten so used to drinking higher ABV IPAs so I tend to look at the style almost like a 3.2 beer.

2.98/5  rDev -13.9%

I guess I expected more than the averageness I got. The head stayed with the beer for awhile. The pale yellow color indicated beer. The simple taste was nothing special. And I didn't notice much of an aroma. It was as drinkable as any American macrobrew pilsner.

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

I love the new bottle and labels, but it appears to me that Redhook's beers have declined in quality a bit.

This is a decent hot weather, lawn mowing, BBQ, etc, type of beer.

Lacks real character, in that nothing really stands out.

Everything is middle of the road.

I got it as part of a sampler 12 pack and would not seek it out by itself in the future.

But man, that's a cool bottle!

3.29/5  rDev -4.9%

A lot of folks on Beeradvocate aren't big Pilsner fans. I am. I find this brew disappointing in that it is pretty bland and malty, and not related to my favorite style of hoppy German Pilsener.

So, to get going:

Appearance is fine, what you'd expect for the style. Brief head with minimal lacing.

Smell: It smells better than it tastes; I was expecting something of better quality after I took a whiff.

Taste: On the sweet side. I can't peg it too specifically but I get an overall malty sweetness, I wish it were drier.

Mouthfeel: This is fine, there is a pleasant carbonation but not much aftertaste going on.

Drinkability: People that drink macrobrews would like this. Enough said. Perhaps that's their target market, I was looking for a little more.

Doubly disappointing after Sierra Nevada's poor showing for their pretty bland Summmer Lager/Pilsner offering. Although I hold SN to a higher standard than Red Hook.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last