Lost & Found Abbey Ale - The Lost Abbey

Lost & Found Abbey AleLost & Found Abbey Ale

pDev: 11%
The Lost Abbey visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Modeled after the great Trappist and Monastic beers that inspired the founding of our brewery. A richly deep garnet colored ale created from a blend of Domestic and imported malts. As part of our commitment to interesting brewing endeavors, Chef Vince created a special raisin puree for this beer. Malts, raisins and a fantastic yeast strain working in harmony produce a beer of amazing complexity and depth.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 07-11-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lost & Found Abbey Ale Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Found it at Thriftway in Renton, WA.

Fairly carbonated but with little head, pours a solid brown color. No lacing to speak of (the ring of foam just slides smoothly down the glass). Smells musty, slightly sweet, raisins and very slightly smokey.

Tastes thick and malty, some kind of non-citrus sour note that I can't quite recognize. Taste seems to mellow out and open up a little as it breathes and warms.

It's a little too fizzy for me. Quite drinkable, solid beer.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy dark amber/brown color with a 1 finger deep tan colored head. Head quickly dissipates.

Sweet malty aroma, fruity, brown sugar, raisin, plum, sweet caramel, bread.

Tastes of sweet caramel maltiness, spicy notes, pepper, raisin, fruit, bready malts, yeast.

Medium to full bodied, well carbonated, filling.

A fine American made Belgian style Dubbel. Plenty of other examples I enjoy more. Just didn't seem to come together for me.

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

I have a case of 750ml bottles courtesy of my friend Steve who is just moved to the San Diego area from PA and who probably now gets his mail sent to the Oceanside Pizza Port. Shangy's in Emmaus had this in cases and now I'm lucky to have the better part of a case to consume.

Lost & Found pours with zero head. There is obvious carbonation but it materializes on the sides of the glass, like a Pepsi. A chocolate-like smell can be found if you try, but there is not much of an aroma at all. This is a good thing.

As for mouthfeel, and more importantly, drinkability, it is very good. The 8.0% by volume can't be tasted and you can easily sip, or even consume it more aggressively, without a single wince.

As for it being brewed with rasins, I'm not a big fan of rasins, and luckily they are not strong at all. It tastes like a solid beer, not a beer that has additives in it.

Lost & Found is definitely worth picking up. Even if you are in PA and must get a case, do so as you will not regret it.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Dark scarlet that turns searingly ablaze when held up to the light. It is a tremendously lush colour, both sensuous and extravagant. Clarity was pristine before the introduction of bottle sediment which wouldn't succeed to entirely tarnish complexion. A nonporous patch of white sand stays embedded over top and leaves ornate signatures as it descends the glass.

All credit owed to brewing a characteristic Belgian abbey dubbel belongs to the yeast. This wouldn't be a proper (nor successful) homage if a well cultured strain of proprietary Belgian yeast wasn't used. Of course, Lost Abbey does use such a thing and it shows. An aroma rampant with spicy phenols and submersed with fruity esters breathes notes of pepper, clove, and rosemary as well as prunes, banana, and dried cherries.

Plenty of the fruit and to a much lesser extent some of the spice-like flavouring carries over into the taste, only now complimented by a delicately soft water and a rich and complex malty sweetness. I taste flavours of toasted whole grain breads, toffee and custard, clove, leafy hops, caramelized sugar, banana, candied cherries, raisins and cooked apple and pear. The carbonation is just right and drinkability seems alarmingly endless.

I worried about the use of a raisin puree for two reasons: one: a good dubbel using the appropriate yeast should need no additional flavouring (especially not fruit!); and secondly: dubbels should be complex, not one-dimensional, I worried the raisin flavour would be too domineering. Thankfully, my fears proved to be unfounded. This is as flavorful, complex, and balanced as anything else I've had within the style.

This dubbel is as rich and inspiring as the beers of Belgium's monasteries to which it pays homage. Tomme Arthur is a tremendously profound brewer. It's almost ironic for him to pay tribute to others - even should these people be the forefathers of modern brewing who preserved and subsequently reintroduced a great wealth of brewing culture and tradition.

As I finish the bottle I'm content to sit in tranquility and reflect on the words printed on its label: "A life worth living is full of discovery and we are reminded everywhere there is opportunity." I do raise this glass in a toast "to patience, perseverance, and all the things we have lost along the way and were somehow lucky enough to find once again."

4.28/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I enjoyed this in its very own glass, "For Sinners and Saints Alike". Unwavering three-quarter finger mocha head, small bubble carbonation liberal in circumference with staying power - looks good so far. I can see yeast spots in the glass bottom and the colour is somewhat lighter than a prune nectar. Raisins in the nose, also coriander and yeast. Very smooth mouthfeel strikes an appreciative chord, velvet texture, alcohol hardly noticeable in my cellar tempurature brew. Taste is spiced apple and raisins but mostly mincemeat tart, perhaps a dash of pepper but softer, maybe a lemon pepper flash here and there. Delightful and very much reminiscent of its Belgian cousins, what a treat, thanks to my beer buddy for a taste of this one that he acquired in a trade. Amen!

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

750mL poured into what is quickly becoming my favorite glass, the new belgium snifter.

Freaking huge amount of carbonation, smoke rising out of the bottleneck before the pour. Have to pour slow and still a huge head, looks quite thick as well, like it could support a couple of paper clips.

Sort of has a champagne sweetness to it, you can feel the effervescence jump down your throat when you put your nose to the glass. Dark fruits, lightly sweet caramel, a real huge amount of malty sugars and alcohol, nutmeg, cinnamon and raisins.

Starts malty sweet, sugary, alcoholic, phenols and esters working hand in hand to form that familiar, almost mind bending complexity of a classic Belgian ale, very noticeable raisin mixed in here as well. As it warms the dark fruit flavors become more pronounced and the malt seems to take a back seat, imparting a tartish dryness at the finish of each sip, which is something that I particularly enjoy. Getting a constant barrage of cereal grains, fruity alcohol and even a bit of chocolate (the slightest bit) thrown in for good measure.

I was on the fence about Dubbels, haven't really been my favorite style as they always seemed a bit messy to me in terms of flavor profiles. Given a bit more time and more experience with this style, I like to think that my tastebuds are maturing to this style, as this one I enjoyed and could readily appreaicate some of the subtler nuances of this beer.

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Poured into my Goblet from a 750ml bottle. Poured a dark brown with a very minimal head. Very little lacing to be seen.

S - Huge Malts take up much of the smell with hints of citrus, plum and nutmeg.

T - Something off about this one. Not much of what I smell comes through in taste. Unlike their Judgement Day, I can't taste the raisins. Not as sweet as most dubbels.

M - High Carbonation makes the mouth feel crisp and clean with each swallow.

D - It's ok, not sure that I would seek this out again, but wouldn't turn it down if it's all there was.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

I am sampling this brew at cellar temp poured into a snifter. the beer pours a clear mahogany color with ruby highlights and a creamy beige head.
The head fades quickly to a sturdy surface layer, leaving some tight lattice. The aroma is dark fruit with plums and red grapes and raisins mixing. First sip reveals an average body with fine tingly carbonation. Flavor is similar to nose with dark fruit, plums and raisins, and a bit of doughy yeast on the finish. The beer is very drinkable with no hints of hops or ABV. Quite a nice rich enjoyable brew.

A beer from one of my early '08 trades that's been waiting for the proper time to get lost. Now is it.

I have been waiting, & hoping, for the Lost Abbey brew that blows me away, & haven't found it yet. Serpent's Stout was really good, but I haven't found a kicker yet, a la Pliny, Furious, Abyss, etc.

Getting the cork out of these things is actual work, which I don't really appreciate after a long day in the coal mines. The pour is completely flat, although I am taking care not to pour any of the bottom sludge into the glasses. Smell is very appealing.

Taste is sweet with some strange, bitter tones that I take to be raisins & dark fruit. Despite my distaste for raisins, the undertow works well with the surface sweetness. They play nicely together.

Brew is flat & slick for a dubbel, but with an easy way about it. Despite the middling ABV & odd contrasts soaking in this malt beverage, I could have another of these.

This isn't the clouds-open-up-and-cry beer I've been hoping for from the Abbey, but it's another I'd happily have again. Good dubbel with a unique flavor profile.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

Thanks to donkeyrunner for this one!

750 ml cage-corked bottle, poured into glass chalice:

Pours hazed caramelish brown with a thin tan head that gradually becomes a thick swirl. Trailing lace slides down the glass with some stickage.

The smell is of raisins/dates/figs and caramel candy.

The taste is of sweet maltiness with caramel and some raisins/dates/figs. There is an herbal, slightly metallic bitterness and some raw alcohol mixed in, yet it keeps its caramel sweetness. There is a bit of a bready yeastiness going on, especially as it progresse. Something rather harsh/raw about it.

The feel is a bit awkward. There is a spritz that is not really effervescent. It falls off, leaving a thinness, yet it is not thin. Texture is not as creamy as I would like, but it holds up.

An interesting enough brew. One that I would have been glad to split, but was able to gradually, slowly, sip away. A nice enough attempt at the style, and one that I enjoyed smelling more than drinking. There is a rawness/greenness to it.

2.53/5  rDev -35.3%

Large corked bottle, poured into a goblet.

The cork was difficult to pull, but when it finally opened, the lack of a loud pop hinted of problems to come. Multiple reviews report similar carbonation problems, so this is not the exception.
Dark red, little to no head, quickly vanishing whatever is there; very little lacing.
Aroma is candy sweetness, but the figs and raisins quickly surface, and never let go. Yastiness and whatever other aromas are clearly overwhelmed and never really surface.
Flat body, which feels thin, and the overly sweet taste is just barely balanced by an also excessive spiciness and raisiny flavors that are not well integrated.
Unfortunately, another Lost Abbey that falls too far from style guidelines, which could be ok, but flavors do not integrate well at all, and the lack of carbonation deliver the last blow.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Pours a dark amber color with an off white head. Head has great retention and leaves some really nice lacing behind.

S- Pretty complex maltiness, dried fruit aromas of raisins, prunes, figs, as well some sort of yeast.

T- Tastes of raisins not really surprising but not as dominant as I would've thought. Some sort of spicy malt, brown sugar and a nice hop to it.

M- Medium to full in body and just right on the carbonation.

D- This one grew on me quite a bit as I was drinking it. Overall, pretty easy to drink.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A fizzy inch of biscuity tan head fades quickly and leaves no lace. Body is a very deep consistant prune like brown in color. You get some crisp dark fruit up front on the nose, then comes the toffee malts all wraped up in spicy yeast. That same spicy yeast feel is the first thing you notice when you take first sip. This is a more dusty dry spice feel though. There is a consistant dark fruit sweetness full of fresh raisens and plum on the back of the palate. This brew really does get better as it warms. Mouthfeel is very yeasty thick with some even sweetness. Sweetness is lingering and hurts the drinkability slightly.

3.83/5  rDev -2%

Nose is malty and very fruity - dark and ripe with lusciousness. Milder sourness and very mild almost-Rum aroma. Smells good.

Pours a murky mudwater brown with yellower highlights, mild head. Looks pretty good. Last pour has a nice yeasty funk in it.

Flavor is sweet and tart - indeed raisin-like. Tastes good, although kind of delicate/light. Nice balance of malt to fruit. Feels pretty good. Full side of thin bodied.

Pours a very dark ruby red/ purplish-prune color with nice sized off-white foam head that settes into a lasting lacing. Aroma is dominated by dark fruit with a nice alcohol presence Perfect blend of maltiness and sweet dark fruit flavors such as raisin, date, prune and fig with a nice alcohol warmth in the finish. Amazing beer!

3.83/5  rDev -2%

My first from Lost Abbey! I must say I'm excited to finally try one of their brews.

Raisins are immediately noticed prior to pouring as I pop the cap. Finally getting the beer into my glass shows a deep ruby red clouded liquid with a light tan colored head that settles to a collar. As noted before there are plenty of raisins in the nose as well as Belgian candy sugars. It is tough to pick out individual spices from the scent, but there definetly seems to be some cinnamon in the mix.

Sipping reveals plenty of dried dark fruits such as fig and raisin. Comes of less sweet than anticipated given the scent. Finishes with a semi dry spiciness paired with a warming alcohol presence and tobacco. Medium bodied and less carbonated than some of its Belgian counterparts. This unique dubbel comes off as an interesting mix of dubbel and old ale. I had hoped for a little more from this famed brewery, but it is surely a beer worth trying.

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

Good beer. I've been looking forward to drinking a lost abbey beer for a long time. This is my first one and although it is a good beer, I expected it to be better. I do taste the raisins and it does have a unique flavor, but after visiting Dogfish Head, I don't think it's as complex or tasty as some of their beers. Has a great flavor and a great after taste, I was just hoping for more. Improves as it warms and I would rather drink this than most dubbels I've had, which I feel it shares color and some of the flavor profile. My expectations were probably unreachable, and it met about 80% of it.

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance - cloudy, deep amber (like resin), alive with carbonation, poured with a thick two fingers of head that subsided within a couple of minutes to a thin layer

Smell - malty and sweet, red fruits, faint raisins

Taste - mild smokiness, very little bitterness from the hops, nondescript fruit/raisins, bit of alcohol coming through, reminds me of Ukrainian kvass

Mouthfeel - thick & smooth, velvety

Drinkability - couldn't have more than one or maybe two in a sitting, this one is a slow sipper

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

750ml bottle.

***Luckily I went outside to open this one out as it was a little bit of a gusher.***

Poured a deeper mahogany color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of yeast, raisin bread, bananas, light chocolate, figs, some spices, and caramel. Tastes of yeast, dark fruits, light spices, chocolate, and light bananas. Alcohol content well hidden. Lively body.

Notes from 9/18/08

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

750ml bottle, corked and caged, from BevMo, Mission Valley, San Diego. States 8% ABV, no dating evident.

Appearance: Pours a clear to slightly hazy mahogany brown, with very light head that dissipatea rapidly, leaving almost no lacing. Significant sediment at the bottom of the bottom yields a hazy pour after a swirl.

Aroma: rum, raisins, plums, brown sugar, slight latex. Good hints at a Belgian dark strong ale style.

Taste: muted and disappointing after the aroma. Some plums and stonefruit. Raisins only when I'm looking (hard) for them.) Some bready/dough-like notes. A little sour on the finish.

Mouth: Amazingly thin, with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Quite unimpressive, and probably my least favorite of the Lost Abbey beers I've had. Not quite a drainpour, but absolutely not something I'd buy again. I have to wonder at the ratings on this beer, and whether it gets some high ones due to a certain degree of beer geek adoration that LA enjoys.

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

A-Pours a murky amber-brown with a thin white head that quickly dissipates.

S-Candi sugar, brown sugar, raisins and a whiff of spice (anise, clove, maybe coriander too).

T-Probably my favorite dubbel ever. Sweet and complex, with the expected candi sugar mixing with a nice brown sugar flavor, raisins and plums with some nice spicing.

M-Rich and a bit creamy and a bit thick on the tongue.

D-An easy drinker, satisfying but not too heavy on ABV to finish the bomber myself.

HV

4.3/5  rDev +10%

750ml bottle poured into my Lost Abbey goblet, Lost & Found is a clear, dark orange amber with a fizzy tan head that immediately recedes to a bubbly collar, just like cola down to the hissing noise as it dissipates. The second and third pours were consecutively darker and yeasty.

Smell is sweet and right, caramelized sugar, alcohol.

Taste is sweet and sugary, fruity esters, not much spice. Clean, nice bit of rumminess, raisin aftertaste, a touch nutty (walnuts and almonds). A very tasty belgian, if more BSDA then dubbel, it kept growing on me, and I really loved it. Really clean.

Mouthfeel is on the thicker, sticky side, but good digestibility.

Drinkability is okay, a pretty good dubbel, a bit sugary for the style, but it suits my taste nicely, great esters and well made.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

A rusty amber pour with a big creamy head that seems to remain forever. Light, refreshing scents of sweet fruits, slightly dark. Some raisin and fig of course with a brown and candy sugar presence. Caramel and a light spice also apparent. Flavor is very rich when compared to the nose. Much more full than expected. Big and malty with the fruits and lots of caramel and brown sugar. Also some chocolate. Light yeast and spice with a slight alcohol burn as well. Creamy, full mouth with a spicy finish and a touch of alcohol again. Decent drinkability. Seems like an after dinner drink to me. Nothing spectacular here.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Glad to find this one last night...split it with jac5084 into two glasses...

A: Dark raisin brown and semi-hazy. It pours with some viscosity to it, and with almost no head. It is rather carbonated though, as you can see the rapid bubbles flowing up...

S: A rather light smell, but you can definitely decipher some clear scents. Dark fruits are at the forefront with plums, raisins, and figs. Belgian yeast and spices follow with some pepper also.

T: The taste is very good for a dubbel. A tad light with similar flavors as the scent. A lot of dark fruits, particularly dark raisins, and a nice yeast flavor. Some mild hops can be noticed on the finish.

Overall, this is a great example of the style. Tons of flavor and another great beer by Lost Abbey.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

750ml bottle

A- Corked and caged bottle poured into a large chalice glass. Pours a dark brown color with a head that quickly turns into a thin lace, and ultimately fading completely away within a few minutes.

S- The aroma is exceptionally complex and aromatic. There is a lot of dark candied fruits evident in the nose (plum, fig, raisin) along with bananas, cocoa, spices and yeast.

T- The taste like the aroma is very complex with a lot of different flavors. The taste starts off pretty malty with some spices quickly making their presence felt. Flavors of rum soaked fruits make up the warming finish.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- Another solid beer from Lost Abbey. I am a huge fan of beers this style, and this is a fantastic domestic version of the dubbel style. Recommended!

Lost & Found Abbey Ale from The Lost Abbey