The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
Reviews: 660 | Hads: 1,686
3.82/5  rDev -9.3%

Opaque and murky medium brown with orangey highlights, some soapy low foam bubbles up slightly leaving no head.

Aroma of nutty cocoa, brandy, dark malt and overripe fruit. Rich flavors of dark malt, whisky-soaked raisins, some oakey woodiness, vanilla and marshmallow, some cocoa. Very strong and boozey, but not too overpowering.

Moderate mouthfeel despite nearly no carbonation, a bit of tingle in the finish. Some warming of the cheeks and numbing of the tongue. Tasty beer, but IMO perhaps a bit overhyped. (512 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a corked and caged 12.7oz bottle into two FoBAB tasters. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist!

BOURBON 2010

A: Took a little effort to get the cork out but there was no "pop" when it released. A vigorous pour netted a tiny but creamy film of mocha colored foam. Head retained for about 30 seconds and not one speck of lace was left behind.

S: Very nice aroma of bourbon, dark/fudgy chocolate, bruised dark fruit, brownies, brown sugar, and wet barrel.

T: Pretty much as above with the addition of a pretty distinct alcohol flavor. It fits in nicely and doesn't detract from the savory flavors.

M: A bit more slick and syrupy than I would've cared for. This could've used some much needed carbonation. Finish is quite long and develops nicely.

D: Splitting this small bottle was just the perfect size. Our taste buds were wrecked by this and we wondered how this would've scored if it had some frigging bubbles in it. I love paying a premium for flat beer. (970 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: A tiny bit of a dark tan hed that dissipates instantly. The beer itself is a very dark brown.

Smell: The aroma is dominated with vanilla, bourbon, alcohol, dark fruits, and plums.

Taste: A fair amount of sweetness, with a good bit of alcohol presence without being too hot. A tiny bit of bitterness to balance out all of the sweetness. There is some serious bourbon and a hint of vanilla, with a back end of dark fruits.

Mouthfeel: It was lighter than I expected with a medium to full body that didn't coat the mouth like I expected.

Drinkability: The first half of the 375 ml was not a challenge to drink, but by the last quarter of the bottle I wished I had split the beer with someone. It is rather powerful in flavor and just an intense beer that really is best in small quantities. (802 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -9.5%

A - color is rustic brownish without any head to speak of

S - the nose is of sweet bourbony aromas of vanilla and some caramel; there are also dark fruits present on the nose

T - sweet dark fruits open this one up nicely. Next up are some raisins and sticky malts mixed with a little cola. A load of bourbon shows up on the backend and overwhelms everything else. Pretty solid taste profile going on here.

M - flat and watery, underwhelming

D - this is a solid beer, love the bourbon and vanilla flavors in it. For some reason, it just seemed to fall a bit short as a complete beer, though. The price point has kept me away from it in the past and I think it will continue to do so in the future. (700 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

On-tap at the Bookstore Speakeasy. I'm told this is one of 4 kegs in the state. Lucky me.

The beer doesn't live up to the hype, but it's still pretty tasty. In short, it was a large snifter of bourbon candy. The character was rich and sweet, but the flavors were too smooth, making it hard to pick out many flavors. It came off a little dull for such a big beer. The bourbon character dominated and as it warmed the alcohol began to emerge. I'm glad I tried this beer, but wished it had approached everything I'd heard about it. (529 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

On tap at Lost Abbey, 8/13/11. We had a sample of all their bourbon beers on tap for a friends 30th bday.

A - Dark, but not black. More like a very dark barley wine.

S - Sweet taste of the Angel's Share strong ale, and then some bourbon mixed in.

T - This beer is almost too sweet. Out of the three that we tried (Bourbon Santa, Older, Bourbon AS), this one was my least favorite.

O - Great beer, but the sweetness is too much for me. (439 characters)

2009 vintage into a goblet

Still appearance. Tiny bubbles around the edge and that's it. I was expecting this, and not offended by it because of my love for traditional English strong beers which are often quite flat. Murky appearance, deep dark brown beer full of hazy stuff (looks like yeast slurry).

Rich aroma just full of bourbon barrel. Intoxicating and strong aroma. Smells great but rough around the edges (young) and mean (high alcohol).

Lots of sweet bourbon flavors everywhere. Sweet toffee and cookies, rich black malts (no real roasted bitterness, just dark richness), carmel malts, bitterness from alcohol. Lots of very smooth bourbon masks the beer underneath. Lots of mineral water too.

The flat mouthfeel was nice with Older, but not quite working with this one. Needs more CO2, certainly the downfall of this brew. Way flatter than an English barleywine, of which I've had many. More like a watered down glass of whiskey. Value is also factored in to this review, as an expensive beer like this should have no obvious flaws.

As delicious as it is, it's a waste of great beer to serve like this. Lack of carbonation cuts way back on the drinkability, also the mouthfeel, aroma, and appearance, and why the hell not the flavor too.

Edit: I had this on tap in 2007 for the first time, and noted how flat it was (and liked it). I also like this year's flat Santa's and Older...it just somehow didn't work out for this beer like it should have. Recommended if you have $30 to blow, otherwise you'll find beers this good in the $10-15 range. (1,560 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

A - Poured out a dark brown color with almost no head. Not much lacing, either.

S - It smelled of vanilla and oak with some toasty notes. Light caramel notes, too.

T - It tasted very malty with a strong boozy character. Some oak, bourbon and vanilla flavors.

M - It was fairly crisp and sharp. A full bodied ale with a clean finish.

O - This was pretty tasty. A nice bourbon barrel aged brew. (396 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

From notes taken on 11/10/10 at the Armsby Abbey. Poured into a snifter.

A - A rich, dark not quite black pour with no light passing through. There was a one finger dark tan head that dissolved quickly into a tan halo.

S - HUGE bourbon aromas upfront. After getting past all that bourbon there was some dark earthy fruits and a touch of carmel.

T - Very, very similar to the nose with just more dark fruits and carmel. Still that huge bourbon flavours that really is first and foremost.

M - Low carbonation, creamy. You can really feel the alcohol on the tongue.

D - I almost feel that this needs some age on it, as the alcohol is FAR too up front with this. Smooth, creamy, and potent with nice complex flavours but still far too agressive. (746 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured a hazy red brown color with a small, light tan head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of roasted malts, light cocoa, vanilla, dried fruits, caramel, and a bit of bourbon as well. Taste of more cocoa, some roast, raisins, and other dark fruits, some vanilla, oak, and a bit of bourbony alcohol in the finish. I guess I'll be part of the camp who prefers the Brandy version to this one, but big thanks to EDA for sharing this! (439 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

I've gotten a pair o' these guys in recent trades/BIFs, so thanks to those who sent them! I think this particular bottle came from GoGriz.

VDubb seems pretty interested in this one, so here's some more vicariousness. It pours a bleakly murky brown with not much of a head to speak of. The nose is rather bourbon-centric, with some oak, milk chocolate, vanilla, caramel, pretzels, and a smidge of roasted malts piled in there as well. The taste similarly whiskey-forward, with an added kick; the rest of the smell's constitutive elements, minus the chocolate, return for a second season, but the bourbon seems to have an ego issue that would preclude further contract extensions. The body is fairly hefty, with a very light carbonation (I thought the '10s fixed this...?) and an almost chewy feel. Overall, I feel this brew just missed the landing zone, fracturing a leg on landing. It'll heal, but the memory will malinger for a while. I'm thinking about aging the other bottle, if only to see how things go if the bourbon settles a tad. Beyond that, the other flavors seemed kinda weak, and the almost-flat, murky liquid was not very appealing. This one just wasn't fully for me. (1,216 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance:

Tonight I am reaching for one of my standard glasses in my cupboard, my Dogfish Head goblet which always creates a nice head due to the etching on the bottom. I proceeded to pull off the cage and pull the cork out and surprisingly it slipped out fairly easily. When the cork released there was almost no popping sound and this worried me right off the start but I went on. On the pour I decided to go slow and straight on trying to entice some form of head and I never got it. There is absolutely no bubbles or foam on this syrupy ale. When I hold my glass up to the light it is a murky hazy deep plum and brown color with no light passing through. Something I noticed that was different was that there is a shiny sheen that catches the light every once and a while on top of my beer that resembles a oil slick. As typical I gave a generous swirl and was left with a fairly heavy lacing creeping down the glass walls.

Smell:

Wow, bourbon takes front and center is this excellent smelling ale. Smooth notes of brown sugar, burnt toffee, and figs are wrapped around the warming alcohol. The sweetness is just so prominent and right behind the bourbon that it almost comes off cloying. I think something that makes this seem so well rounded is the fact that the base beer is very complex on its' own then aged to perfection in the barrel. I have had numerous beers where the base is lacking then they try and spice it up with a barrel of some kind and it falls flat in my opinion. In the finish there just a tinge of the heat alcohol and oaky tannins with copious amounts of vanilla and no hop presence.

Taste:

Wow, this is a punch in the face from a whiskey distillery! Again, bourbon really is the main act and runs quickly across your tongue and warms your throat the whole time. Loads of caramel sweetness and raisins cut through the sharp bourbon notes making it sweet and enjoyable. In the middle I feel like I just had a teaspoon of vanilla extract but that's not such a bad thing trust me. Some spicy earthiness from the oak that adds another layer of complexity which I really enjoy. The only downfall here is the fact that this is pretty much flat and I am can't get any carbonation out of this. Looks like another let down from Tomme Arthur in the carbonation department, but besides that I really love all of the flavors and complexity.In the finish I am pulling out some thick creamy flavors that resemble tiramisu and cool whip.

Drinkability:

Overall, a really sold beer that has a lot of bold complex flavors that I feel like many will enjoy. The only set back is Tomme needs to work out some of the fine details on his beers. If you like bourbon and strong Belgian styled ales this will be right up your alley. I really enjoyed drinking this beer even thought the minor mistakes were there but hey we all can't be perfect all the time right? If you come across this beer be sure to grab it and give it a shot becuase it is definitely worth the hype and fairly reasonably priced. (3,010 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

I bought the Angel's Share at my usual store with lots of corked big beers on the shelf. It must have been positioned above the wrong price tag that day (and I must have been stocking up), because I don't remember spending $30. Though last time I went, that was the price. In any case ... I wasn't setting the bar particularly high to "get my money's worth."

My first reaction was that the beer had very little carbonation. I am vindicated by the other reviewers who had the same reaction from the bottled Angle (I know, I shouldn't have read them before; won't happen again).

The color and smell were impressive, despite the poor carbonation. Alcohol was apparent. So was the brandy casking. The beer tasted almost like a martini with bourbon coating the tumbler and a raisin/carmel/malt-heavy brown ale in the mix.

I had a lot of fun drinking this beer for about 10 minutes, sipping more than gulping, though I prefer a mouthfull with darker beers.

All in all, the lack of carbonation didn't bother me really. There's plenty to like about Angel's Share in the non-carbonated bottle. I didn't finish it, but I enjoyed it. I recommend splitting it with a few buddies. Approach it like a nice scotch. (1,203 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%

Just took step 1 of the medical licensing exam...time for a celebratory beer! 12.7 ounce bottle split with my brother. Bottle says 12.5% ABV (vs. the 12% in the description here). Also, the label is a slightly different color than in the picture here (mine was dark amber).

A: Pours a dark, dark, brown, not quite black. A vigorous pour yields only a ½ finger tan head that dissipates quickly into swirl of bubbles with a crown. Minimal lacing.

S: Bourbon is the dominant smell that I get, with notes of chocolate, coffee and caramel in the background.

T: Quite tasty, though not all that complex. Tastes quite similar to the nose. Bourbon is far and away the dominant flavor, some sweet raisins, with only some caramel and alcohol heat on the back end.

M: Smooth, with a nice level of carbonation. Not quite as sticky or full-bodied as I would have liked.

D: Well, it was a nice beer to try, definitely an interesting brew, but it has a hefty price tag. Also, I thought some of the parts were not melded together and as balanced as they could have been. (1,061 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from the tap in a tulip glass.

Appears a murky dark brown, not quite black. Very little head. Aroma is strong and boozy, tons of whiskey. Taste is dominated by the bourbon as well, but too much in my opinion. Alcohol, oak, a little vanilla. Thin to medium body, moderate carbonation. It could be thicker to match the power of the flavor.

Finally got to try this , I had been on the look out for it on draft, as I wasn't willing to chance a flat bottle. But for the high price, I probably won't seek it out again (520 characters)

Poured into a tulip

Pours a dark brown color with watery edges. Looks a little syrupy. Absolutely no head or carbonation to speak of. You can see the alcohol in the form of legs around the sides of the glass.

Smells like a lot of cheap vanilla and malt. Like a port. Chocolate and alcohol (harsh). Some darker fruits like figs and raisins. Whisky.

Taste comes in smooth and syrupy. Tastes like bourbon. A lot of caramel and vanilla. With no carbonation this reminds me of Utopias. Like a not so great port, very muddy. As far as placing it in the beer catergory its not so bad. Could use a little more time. (610 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%

375 ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Dark brown with a slight mahogany hint. The pour produced a small head that quickly receeded and left no lace.

A: Strong burbon, toffee, caramel malts, oak, and vanilla. Very boozy and sweet.

T: Much of the same as in the nose. The malts blend very nicely with the burbon barrels. I get a nice earthiness, with caramel, vanilla, and oak. The beer finishes smooth and dry, as is with most BA beers.

M: Oily, medium to heavy body. My bottle did have some carbonation, but not as much as I had hoped.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is ok for a beer of this strength. But the lack of sufficient carbonation and and the High ABV will limit it a little. Overall, I think this is a good beer. Although, I think there are many other BA offerings out there that are supierior. Skal. (827 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

pours a dark brown with a very little khaki head, and good lacing.

smell is of bourbon, wood, alcohol, and dark fruit.

taste is strong alcohol, cocoa, and dark fruit, ends with a potent alcohol taste and somewhat dry.

overall a good american strong ale but a little too strong with the alcohol. (297 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

2008 Bottle poured into my KBS glass and tasted side by side with a FW Abacus '11.

A- Dark brown, almost black, great carbonation and immediate head, about 1 inch, tan in color. But, decent retention and minimal lacing.

S- I can smell the age, caramel, yeast, malts, def less oak and vanilla then Abacus, but some is there. A little sweetness.

T- Identical to the nose, def Strong Ale w/age, almost Belgian like. Would like more vanilla and bourbon.

M- Good, has a short finish at this point.

Overall- Good beer, Glad I have had it at this age, but would rather have it young. (581 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

12.7 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The beer looks almost syrup-like while pouring. In the glass it is a solid, opaque black-brown color with the tiniest bit of tan film around the edges of the glass. No visible carbonation. Leaves a little bit of lacing.

Smell: Has a strong boozy/alcohol note in the aroma. Aside from that, there's some roasted malts, and a good amount of raisins, figs, and currants.

Taste: I find it tough pinning down the specific flavors here. Malt flavor that is somewhat sweet, but tempered with some bitterness. There's a bit of booze throughout. The finish and aftertaste follow along the same lines, but add a bit of sourness, reminding me of the smell of whisky mash - so that's presumably coming from the whiskey/bourbon barrels. I think that I can detect a bit of spice here, but I can't really identify it and it might just be the alcohol. I sense a bit of dark chocolate in the aftertaste. There's really no presence of fruits anywhere.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a heavy-bodied beer. Thick and almost oil-like in how it coats the mouth. There's really no carbonation, and the beer is quite smooth. But, there's also a bit of alcohol burn in the finish.

Drinkability: Definitely a beer to enjoy in moderation. Strong in alcohol, strong in taste. For small sips, slowly, and in small quantities. But it works that way.

I'd been aware of this beer for a few years, and known it to be something of a "holy grail". Honestly, I am not all that impressed, but I can totally understand how others might love this. The dense, syrupy mouthfeel and the noticeable presence of alcohol are not what I'd call an acquired taste, but just something that I small percentage of people absolutely appreciate. This definitely has a unique and interesting flavor, and I think with the alcohol turned down I'd enjoy it more. As it is, this is for either the truly dedicated & interested, or those loving the strongest old ales & strong ales. I could certainly imagine consuming this with some very rich dark chocolate & raspberry dessert, but until I do that next, I think I'll pass on grabbing another bottle of this. (2,150 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Angel's Share is a quite nice barrel-aged strong ale. Still... it could have been much better. I had this later in the night so I was a bit drunk. My notes aren't the best as a result.

A: Dark black with noticeable sediment and particles floating around. 3.5

S: Sweet malty. Barnyard. 3

T: Malty with some bourbon barrel. Sharp Bourbon-alcohol. yum. 4

M: Foamy. 4.

O. 4. (395 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

A 375ml bottle, 2009 vintage, shared with the amazing ATLBeerdog at his home in 'lanta, where the water is expensive and the nights are long.

A. Well... ok, let's just dive in. A few measly bubbles fade fast. There were like 3 of them. Maybe 2. Damn you, Tomme! The Angel's Share itself is a dark one, brown with red highlights and leggy - the booze is strong with this one. But of course there is ZERO head of any kind, no lace, and no bubbles.

S. Well, this is quickly on the way to redemption. The nose screams Sam Adam's Utopia's Jr. It really does. Immense character here - maple, vanilla, brown sugar, oak, port, a vinous-woody scent, rich and buttery and sweet, and yes, boozy. A bit of pecan perhaps in there... Tomme can Co. can absolutely make great smelling beer, and this is proof. Very rich, sweet, and dessert-like.

T. Quite woody at first, with vanilla (bourbon) and a high alcohol quality to the thing... tobacco and sweet malts, woodsy. Seems like it could be sweeter, somehow... Prunes and some dark fruit flit here and there. Brown sugar and caramel are here too, but the whole thing still seems too attenuated, in other words, this avoids being syrupy or sickly sweet but remains dry... hmm...

M / D. Totally, utterly flat. Similar to Utopias in this respect -- but Utopias is SUPPOSED to be flat. Angel's Share is simply too thick and needs bubbles to be drinkable. This would benefit a great deal with carbonation - there is no way around it. The finish is warming and boozy with lots of mature wood notes and is decent. But.

Have you ever been on a date with a totally gorgeous, smart and witty girl, but when you get to get back to your place she tells you she has to go, 'cause she has to pick up her five kids from her ex's place before going to check in with her parole officer? Neither have I, but it's more than sad - it's infuriating.

The 2009 batch of Bourbon Angel's Share isn't just disappointing, it's positively maddening. This beer could be GREAT. The lack of any carbonation is a fatal flaw that absolutely needs to be corrected, especially considering the high asking price on these small bottles. Until Lost Abbey makes a complete brew out of this tragic miss, it will remain just that. Crossing my fingers for the future vintages... (2,279 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Hot ass 100 degree Cali night. and im in the mood for stouts and bourbon.

problems.
answers.

Blast the AC to 68 and act like it's winter!

With the idea in mind i grab Angel's Share (BOURBON) edition of course... open to no pop.. pours with no head. no carbonation. no wonderful lacing. hmm. coloring is murky dark. like a swamp at night.

Smellin, and it is in fact bourbon, hot bourbon. not overwhelming, sort of one dimensional.

Booozy. But delicious taste and aftertaste. i was in the mood for bourbon after all. i just wish it wasn't so flat. i drank a deliverance last night that was in fact quite carbonated. soo just my bottle perhaps.

Overall, its gonna get the job done. maybe not in the way i planned or wanted. but i'll get there. with a smile :) (764 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -11.6%

12.7 oz bottel poured into my lost abbey glass

A - Pours an opaque dark brown with no head

S - Booouuuurbon. Lots of it. Also some caramel, spices, and dark fruits.

T - Loads of bourbon, sweet caramel malt, spices, figs/dark fruits, vanilla, and wood. Alcohol also very noticeable. Tasty though.

M - Lots of alcohol on the finish and a medium-full palate. Carbonation is medium to low

D - This is good stuff but maybe a little heavy on the bourbon, and that hampers the drinkability a bit , (496 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle into tulip.

I have been wanting this one for a while and got it in a trade with Binek. Thanks man.

Poured a dark brown/black. Almost no head. Big time lacing on the side of the glass. This beer smells of bourbon and dark fruit and raisans. I love it. Man is this beer heavy and it hits you hard quickly. This is definitely one to share. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth for 12% but man does this drink like a stout. Do yourself a favor and share this with a friend. Definitely high quality to be enjoyed slowly. (519 characters)

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey