The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,683 | Reviews: 668
3.6/5  rDev -16.1%

On draught at Brouwer's Big Wood, served in a snifter, Angel's Share Bourbon Barrel-Aged is black with a small tan collar leaving no lace.

Smell is big caramel, some raisin and lots of bourbon.

Taste is also big on the caramel, some sweetness countered by some roast, raisiny and hot.

Mouthfeel is slick and dry, with very low carbonation.

Drinkability is average, not nearly as exciting as I hoped, this is way over priced, I'm glad I only spent $9 on a draft then $30 on a bottle! I will definitely never bother with this again unless the price comes way down, in line with the plethora of other bourbon barrel aged bombers, $8-10...3 times the cost and average for the style.

3.59/5  rDev -16.3%

Consumed April 23rd, 2014 from an undated bottle that I have had for at least 6 months. Poured into a DFH snifter.

Cork came out of the bottle with the tiniest little pop, indicating that there is precious little carbonation within. A vigorous pour confirms this; no head forms at all. None.

The beer is an opaque dark brown with slightly less opaque deep purple/ruby highlights when held to strong light. Did I mention it has no head whatsoever? The beer does have some modest legs when the glass is swirled, so there is that.

Aroma is candied, pitted fruit, vanilla and wood. Boozy.

Flavor is a lot like the nose: it stars with a strong showing of sweet prunes, dates and raisin. Some thin wood bitterness and boozy vanilla wash in before the whole thing fades into a medicinal memory down the gullet. "Cloying" is a word I throw about a little, but here it is appropriate; this beer is just so boozy and so sweet that it desperately needs some carbonation.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and slightly slick and maybe even a little oily. If only there were some soft carbonation...

The flavors in this beer are fine, but the lack of carbonation is a critical flaw that causes the whole affair to come down like a house of cards. I won't be buying this one again.

3.58/5  rDev -16.6%

2011 version, 12.7 oz C&C bottle served in a DFH signature glass.

A: Whoa, carbonation! Not just from the etching on the bottom of the glass, but there were lots of bubbles and a thin light tan head actually formed on the pour. That subsided quickly leaving a pretty still dark brown, cola looking body with a thin ring around the rim. Some splotchy lace is left down the glass.

S: Smells of bourbon, oak, dark pitted fruits and some subtle sweetness all fill the nose.

T: Big bourbon up front that lingers throughout the whole sip. As it develops in the mouth the oak comes through as well as a caramel like sweetness. Some dried fruits, mainly figs and dates, also pop up in the taste. There is some definite heat in there, but it is far from from overpowering.

M: Heavy bodied, slightly chewy in nature with some actually prickly carbonation. I'm psyched. A little heat and some subtle sweetness left on the palate. As the beer warms the carbonation goes by the wayside, but it doesn't hurt the beer.

O: Well this gets major points because it's actually somewhat carbonated. The bourbon flavor is bold and lingers throughout the whole sip, but still is pretty tasty. This is definitely a sipper.

3.58/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I drank this 2009 version from a 375ml bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours an ugly dark brown with not carbonation at all. I got no head rise, I heard the 08 had a carbonation problem, 09 too?

The aroma is relatively strong delivering a ton of vanilla on the nose with a finish that provides some nice depth with oak dominating followed by some distinct bourbon flavor.

The taste is super super sweet. There is a ton of vanilla, which is nice, but probably too much here. BI BCS is a better example that provides the perfect amount. The vanilla would be more tolerable if it was better balanced out with other flavors. If there was big hit of oak or bourbon to break up the vanilla which really lasts to the end, then it could be ok.

The feel is pretty poor, its very light without much lasting flavor.

The drinkability is limited by its one-note-edness.

Overall, a little disappointed here. The bourbon is better than the brandy version, but the Grand Cru dominates, them both its not even funny. A couple minor changes and this could be really good.

3.56/5  rDev -17%

375ml bottle, 2009. Dark brown with almost no head. Bourbon, dried fruit, soy sauce, wood and caramel in the aroma. The flavor is smoother and lacks the oxidized soy notes of the aroma. Lots of dried fruit, tobacco, toasty grain, some chocolate and oak. Rich and alcoholic but not harsh. Thick and flat on the tongue. Great flavor and immensely complex, but the weird oxidized soy notes in aroma and lack of bubbles hurt it overall.

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%

Unique beer that has a unique taste. Was not my personal favorite. I get a weird prune taste during and after I take a sip. I experienced this same sensation with Thelonious Monk. Maybe I just have not developed my palate enough for this type of beer. First beer I have tried from The Lost Abbey. Will hopefully have more luck with another beer from this brewer.

3.54/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Pours mahogany, brown color. At first a one finger beige head forms, and recedes in a second. No lace.
S: Vanilla, oak, chocolate. Toasted malts, and molasses. That is it. Pretty straight forward and all barrel.
T: Like the nose, fairly standard for a barrel aged strong ale. Sweet chocolate, vanilla, light oak.
M/D: A fairly lifeless body. Low carbonation, but certainly not flat. Though on the thin side. Fusel, almost ethanol like alcohol. Which makes this a slow sipper.

While this is not nearly as flat as other bottles of LA I have had, and really not bad. This just leaves me wanting more. Fairly standard. Too expensive, and plenty of other better examples of the style. For me, locally brewed at that.

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Pours a deep brown cola color with no head whatsoever. The only slightest bit of carbonation was a few tiny bubbles around the edge that barely made the rise to the top.

S: Sweet toffee and caramel candied malts aromas lay beneath the big nose of oak, vanilla, and bourbon.

T: Big big bourbon with just a touch of the candy malts and a bit of oak not much else makes it through the bourbon.

M: Full bodied with a nice oily slickness left behind. I only wish it had a little carbonation to perk this up.

D: I like the beer itself but am a bit let down overall. I enjoy a big bourbon filled beer, which this certainly delivers on but I thought the carbonation issue was fixed with this release. Maybe I got a bum bottle, which I hope it was but I expected a bit more out of this beer and it didn't deliver like I thought it would.

3.52/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed a bottle of this on Saturday, 19 May 2012.

A: Translucent deep, dark amber in color. Almost no head.
S: Alcohol (almost overpowering) with sweet bourbon undertones.

T: Strangely , the smell and tastes are quite a bit different. Sweet flavors of bourbon, dark fruits and a nice heat from the alcohol, but no overpowering alcohol taste as in the smell...really nice flavor with a lot of good depth.

M: Very light, almost watery (could be influence by drinking a couple of heavy stouts before this beer).

O: Really nice; not outstanding (especially since the price of these bottles is borderline ridiculous), but a good beer that is drinkable in moderate quantity (like one of these a night). Definitely not the beer you want to have a few of.

3.51/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a 375ml corked/caged bottle into a snifter.

A:Very little carbonation. Like 3 bubbles. No head. It looks like a dark syrupy non-carbonated cola.

S: Oak plus a strong Bourbon and booze smell. Also picking up some vanilla and carmel notes. Thought the alcohol would be much more subtle since its been aged for a year but it still smells strong.

T: Bourbon, oak, vanilla, Definitely a sipper.

M: Think and syrupy mouthfeel.

Great aroma and flavors but not worth the $23.99 I paid for the 12.7oz bottle.

3.51/5  rDev -18.2%

375ml bottle poured into a snifter. Big thanks to russwbeck for sharing this, thanks Russ!

A - This beer looks pretty much identical to the brandy version. The color is somewhere between muddy swamp water and the first hint of darkness after the sun goes down. Neither of these bottles opened with so much as a pop after uncaging them. No head or lacing to be seen with this version either.

S - For how good the nose on the brandy version was, this one is even better. There are big notes of chocolate and vanilla that complement each other nicely. The barrel is more subtle here than in the brandy version, but the big kicker for this aroma is a ton of coconut. I'm not sure where it's coming from, but I'm getting a lot of coconut here. Compared to the brandy version, this beer is slightly more boozy.

T - After first sampling the brandy version first, I was bracing myself for a letdown of epic proportions with the taste. Much to my fortune, I was rewarded with a beer that wasn't a complete mess. There are bold flavors of chocolate and coffee here, and the bourbon is sweet and imparts an almost dark fruit characteristic to the flavor. However, much like the brandy, it's rather flat and doesn't help at all. Slightly more of an alcohol kick at the end, but I feel the 12.00% is hidden nicely.

M - The mouthfeel here is again flat and lifeless. It does feel a bit more robust in the mouth than the brandy, but I'm not sure if its because of the fuller flavors as it doesn't seem to have significantly more carbonation. It's strange having the flavors of a full-bodied stout without the mouthfeel to match.

D - Drinkability is moderate. Leagues ahead of the brandy version, but the complete lack of carbonation is a killer for me. I would never think carbonation would make that much of a difference for a beer of this size and style, but it absolutely does. Halfway through I was contemplating mixing it with a mild stout to force some into it, but didn't have anything cold...

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

Drank while fantasy football mock drafting...ah the life we lead. Shared with milwaukeeclassic (who is a mighty douche for certain) and steepH20. Bottle courtesy of Ryan as an extremely thoughtful extra. Thanks Ryan!

Huzzah carbonation...shimmery burgundy when held to the light

Mighty bourbon on the nose along with some raisin, dark fruits, and vanilla. Bourbon-tastic for sure

Taste is caramel malts, bourbon, and quite a bit of alcohol. Very hot and sweet.

Limited carbonation, oily, and again....hot. I understand it's 12%, but this beer does little to cloak any of the massive heat that radiates off this beast.

Glad this was split. Thanks for the generosity though Ryan.

Vintage 2008

A - This beer pours a deep and thick brown body...it's not black but a very dark brown...there was absolutely no head...actually a few spots of faint lace did show up

S - The oak aroma really filled the nose...bourbon and vanilla were mixed in there...some notes of dark fruits (raisins and dates)...a nice chocolate aroma

T - The flavors really worked well together until the bourbon/alcohol presence took over...a sweet vanilla flavor hits you up front and mellows out into the sweet caramel flavor of dates...the bourbon flavor takes over midway through the beer and took away all of the other flavors for me...if the oak characteristic was tuned down a bit it would have worked better

M - Full bodied...smooth and chewy...leaves a linger chocolate flavor that creeps up a minute or two after you swallow

D - I shared this bottle on my birthday which was an awesome birthday present...but I was left a little disappointed...the beer starts off with nice flavors but the oak (bourbon) age just got to me

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

Not nearly as good as the regular Angel's Share, in my opinion. Pours a dark cola color with light tan colored super fizzy head. Bottle gushed upon opening too. Smell is vanilla, raisin, bourbon and sweet malt. Taste is similar, but much more mild than the standard angel's share which was really rich and strongly flavored. The carbonation was way too high in this body and it just foamed in the mouth, which drives me nuts. Overcarbonated and underflavored.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

2009 750ml bottle. After anxiously twisting off the cage, the cork pulled out with a muted, anticlimactic "pup" sound. Shit. Poured a still deep brown into a brandy snifter. Definitely some nice, big bourbon on the nose, with rich dark chocolate, tobacco, plums, and figs. Good nose. Flavor is big, rich, and decadent. Dark unsweetened chocolate, plums, a bit of a vinous grapey character. Tobacco and leather in there. A bit of hot bourbon around the edges. Good flavors, but this thing is basically near flat and the palate just does not properly carry the flavors. Shame, this would have benefited greatly by some carbonation.

3.49/5  rDev -18.6%

No carbonation, had to pry the cork out.

Flat brown colored ale without any head whatsoever.

Strong bourbon smell and vanilla with a really strong fig aroma. Fruit scents of cherries and pineapples.

Starts out sweet and boozy with a strong whiskey flavor and a little grape and fig in it. Very strong on the fig flavor almost to the point of annoyance. Patent malt is present but the booze obliterates it.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall this is just average. The lack of carbonation just kills this.

3.49/5  rDev -18.6%

This bottle was sent to me as a replacement for an infected, flat bottle of Brandy Angel's share that I purchased. Poured into a snifter.

A: Very minimal carbonation evident. Virtually no head whatsoever. It is not completely flat (like the infected bottle of Brandy Angel's Share that I had to drainpour) but it is obviously lacking in significant carbonation. Some carbonation does appear upon swirling the glass. Otherwise, pours a dark brown with tinges of dark ruby red evident as well.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, malt, booze, dark fruits. The aroma is enticing. I have smelled better but I have also smelled worse. I think the aroma would be significantly improved if the carbonation were present to a higher degree.

T: I have to say, I do love the taste of this. Very smooth. Lots of vanilla and bourbon for sure. Also get some booze, raisins, figs, dates, brown sugar, and molasses too. Pretty strong malt backbone. A little bit of wood. Hints of chocolate as well. I really can't knock the taste of this one despite the lack of appropriate carbonation. All of the tastes are pretty well balanced in my opinion and I enjoyed it.

M: Again, very little carbonation evident. That being said, this remains a relatively easy drinker in my opinion. A little on the slick side. While some alcohol is evident, it is definitely not overpowering, offensive, or "hot" in the least. I just wish there were more carbonation there.

I appreciate Ruby Johnson sending me this replacement beer for the bad one that I purchased. I definitely enjoyed it but can certainly see how it would be even more enjoyable when imbibed from an appropriately carbonated bottle or, better yet, tap/keg. I would love to try it in this format if I ever get the chance but I can't say that I would necessarily buy a bottle again until I hear that their carbonation issues have improved.

3.48/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from the standard Lost Abbey 750ml into a crystal goblet. Cork popped with a little tiny plunk, kinda cute actually.

A - Had just a thin sheet of head on it. Not quite as flat as previous reports had led me to believe, but nowhere near an acceptable level of carbonation. Color is great... murky amber, very ominous-looking American barleywine. Lovely.

S - I'm having this pretty warm (probably hovering around 55-60 degrees) and the alcohol smell is really insanely strong, but is tempered by a little bourbon backbone that makes it not offensive. Very sharp, spicy, boozy, malty sweet and dank.

T - WOW. Even for a prematurely released brew, the taste of this one knocks my socks off. Strong, STRONG cassis notes, boozy bourbon kick, fiery alcohol warmth, and a really unique, delicious caramel finish. Even with all the overpowering bourbon/caramel flavors, I can pick out interesting estery flourishes that separate this one from the teeming masses. Banana, Mexican chocolate, and especially oak are all very present in the finish.

M - Just short of cough syrup. Barely prickly. Not exactly medicinal, but certainly not very quaffable. Alcohol is nigh offensive on the throat. Very very powerful.

D - I have to struggle with this one. Definitely a sipper in its current state.

Overall: Really, I'm not as pissed off at this beer as previous reports might indicate. They released it very green, to be sure, but it's kinda interesting to taste such a great beer in such an infantile stage. The predominant thought I had while drinking this is "Wow, once this grows up a little bit it will literally be one of the best beers I've ever had". I think that says something.

3.46/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Palm snifter.

body is dark brown but clear and looks oily when poured into the glass. No head at all or carbonation visible.

smell is of oxidized (tawny) port, oak and bourbon

taste is port, oak, vanilla, dominating sourness in the aftertaste

no carbonation sensed, body is thick and oily, warming alcohol

Boy, I do not know what to make of this. On the nose it is very much like drinking an aged portwine and also in the mouthfeel as there is no carbonation. I do like that, but what I don't like is the sour aftertaste. It makes the whole experience unbalanced. Infected? Big dissapointment.

Just read the other reviews and saw that they do have some carbonation. Therefore I guess mine has somehow gone bad. Sad.

3.46/5  rDev -19.3%

I saved this one for 4 months at 75° waiting for it to carbonate. the cork came out without a pop. It pours a dark cloudy brown, with the slightest of bubbles clawing their way to the surface. Tastes of malt, caramel, coffee, bourbon. A great and powerful combination of flavors. Too bad the carbonation is barely present. There is a hint of head around the edge and on the glass when I tilt it, so there is a little bit, but not much. A major flaw in a great beer. Took me 75 minutes to get through this one, just because it's such a heavy flavor and heavy alcohol and flat. I was pretty tipsy when I was done, and my wife was under the table. We had a good time drinking this, though, and that's what was important. Some bubbles and this would be a great one. Too bad the bubbly guys are missing.

3.45/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2nd beer at the Blue Dog while awaiting the CBS raffle.

A- Dark brown brew, not quite black. Not much light, but I do see few bubbles rising up the glass. Very tiny amount of cola head fizzes away to nothing.

S- Burning hot bourbon, with a bit of mellowing vanilla. Buried under the bourbon is some oak, more booze, and faint resinous hops. I found myself searching for these.

T- Not a whole lot in this. Vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits and some wood. All the flavors are subtle, and no real standout.

M- Medium to full bodied brew with almost no carbonation, very low. One plus is there isn't much heat in the mouth from this abv.

O- I was a little let down by this. It was decent, but I was expecting more. This was the 2010 version and the bourbon was still pretty strong. I was tempted to splurge the cash on a bottle before, but glad I never did.

3.45/5  rDev -19.6%

2010 release on tap a couple of times at the Rose & Crown, once at Gourmet Haus Staudt since my girlfriend wanted to try it.

A: Pours a very dark maroon body. There is some light penetration at the edges. A small half-finger of light beige foam caps the beer, breaking into thin islands of scattered film within a minute. No lacing.

S: Great aroma, though it's more bourbon-forward than last year's. Lots of caramel/bourbon, vanilla, oak. After some agitation and sniffing I can finally make out other aspects that are overwhelmed by the barrel: raisins, caramel, chocolate. A sting of booze. Too barrel-dominated to merit a stronger rating.

T: Bourbon dominates. Vanilla and oak are also quite strong. The barrel really took over on this flavor. I eventually pick out raisins, dates, and chocolate. Bourbon and vanilla resurgence in the finish. Quite solid, though it definitely appeals to people who enjoy bourbon bombs.

M: Medium-full bodied. It has quite a bit of heat from the barrel dominance. Good carbonation levels, good coating.

D: This beer just isn't for me. It's over-barreled and isn't worth the cost. I gave it enough tries, you all can have my share.

3.44/5  rDev -19.8%

I poured this from a 750ml brown bottle (2008 vintage) into a St. Bernardus chalice glass. As I eased the cork from this bottle I could tell there was no pressure inside the bottle helping to push the cork out...and alas this turned out to be one of the infamous uncarbonated examples of Angel's Share.

A= Poured a slightly murky blackish brown color. With a super hard pour I was not able raise any sort of head. Completely still beer. No lacing at all.

S= The aroma of this ale was very boozy and filled with dark, sweet, malty notes. There were also some nice vanilla and oak character in there as well, but this was harder to find in the wash of bourbon.

T= Similar to the nose. Started off with sweet dark malts and caramel then the bourbon kicked in and brought some light vanilla with it. No hops to speak of. Lots of alcohol throughout leading into a somewhat hot finish. Lots of chest-warming alcohol aftereffects.

MF= Medium bodied, with zero carbonation. The flatness gave this a thin and watery feel.

D= The no carbonation thing is a huge flaw in this beer, but it had its moments. The ABV makes this a sipper either way. I would love to try this again if it was properly carbonated.

3.43/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2008 vintage.

Served between 45-55 degrees as the tasting progressed.

Appearance of flat coca cola.

Smells of smoke and vanilla.

Full, sweet, and warm mouthfeel.

Tastes of vanilla, bourbon, and caramel. Only enough bitterning hops to balance. No hop flavor or aroma gets through. Wood and smoke linger through, some fruit in the middle.

Almost flat. I will remember to make sure to split this bottle at least 4 ways. More than a small glass is overwhelming.

3.39/5  rDev -21%

Corked 375 ml. bottle poured into a wine glass. The Angel's Share opens with a shy whisper and pours a deep flat brown. A bit of tan ring sits atop a hazy muddled mahogany pour and leaves some spots of lacing.

Nose is pleasant but pretty much limited to bourbon and oak along with a strong alcohol presence initially. Some light chocolate and caramelized cherry sit in back and only as the beer warms notably, yet still offering only moderate complexity.

Ditto on the flavor. Some fudgy chocolate up front and with a short and simple finish with a bit of bourbon flashing by en route. The beer warms to offer some chalky brown sugar and dark chocolate but the bourbon notes expand as well masking it to a degree.

Feel improves with warming, finishing with a bit of chocolate and brown sugar. Not as sweet as feared by viewing some other reviews, the beer drinks well for its heft.

Overall a largely mediocre beer that grew on me somewhat from start to finish but still doesn't make the grade even at half the price. Apparently I got the wrong vintage of sorts though I won't be risking such things again as for carbonation issues. I generally find that Lost Abbey beers seek sweet complexity through large amounts of simple unfermentable ingredients and this is no exception. And many nuances are lost in this route. And given the so oft light carbonation, what is the need for the expensive bottle I've heard many discussions about? Just put it in a simple bottle. Cheers.

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey