The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
Reviews: 671 | Hads: 1,733
4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

My 100th review needed to be special, so here it is, courtesy of piclee, thanks for the trade (a while back now). This also my home beer, before heading off to my birthday party, what great timing! I have stored this one in a fridge, in a paper bag, in my basement, to make sure it would stay in as good of condition as possible. I am not let down.
Pours a deep brown color with tan colored head resting atop. Within the dark brew is some slight, murky particles. I am a little surprised by how dark it is, to be honest, but the head, and associated pop when uncorked relieved all carbonation concerns I had.
The bourbon aroma is right there, but it is not alone, as other bourbon barrel aged beers can be. There is a sweet caramel and dark fruit background that blends together quite nicely in this brew.
That taste follows suit, as far as complexity goes. The bourbon is pronounced, but this beer is far more complex than that. That sweet caramel smell is there in the flavor, along with brown sugar, I think, its not all caramel for sure. A slight vanilla hint, adds to the sweetness, as well. The dark fruits, raisins and prunes, add to the cornucopia of flavors in this beer.
The carbonation gives it a definitive zest in your mouth, but I must commend them on concealing the boozy alcohol that would normally accompany a 12% bourbon barrel aged beer.
Again, well concealed, so incredibly drinkable for the style, but to drink too quickly would probably rob you of enjoying all that is going on in this beer. I see now, why this beer is worthy of such lofty praise.

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%

375 ml bottle 2009 version

Cork came out with an audible pop, Co2 mist escapes from the bottle. I usually don't smell the cork, but the aroma that came out of the bottle, prompted me to take a whiff. The smell of chocolate and bourbon were easily recognizable, this is going to be good.

Beer is dark brown, carbonation is evident with bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass. No lasting head, just a little froth around the edges of the glass, looks like a creamier coca cola.

The aroma is where this beer shines. Smell is wonderful. A mix of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, and toffee. Just an overall sweet aroma, which grows more complex as the beer warms.

The taste follows the smell with bourbon, vanilla, slight bitterness. This beer finishes with some heat. Lots of bourbon flavor, damn good.

Mouthfeel is nice. My bottle is definetly carbonated, prickly on the toungue at first then beer ends up with a soft and creamy mouthfeel.

Smelling and savoring this beer is an absolute treat. Deep, luxurious, and delicious all come to mind when I think of describing this beer. One of my favorites of 2009, I can't imagine this beer gets any better with age, luckily I have a few more bottles to find out.

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%

I don't usually review beers (this is my 1st review) but I thought I might try it out as this beer is definitely something worth talking about.

Poured into my Delirium Tremens tulip, basically no head, no smoke or visible carbonation and only a tiny pop from the cork. The appearance is nothing special really, a reddish hint in brown with no foamage to speak of.

The smell is wine. Pure unadulterated wine. I've never smelt a beer that smelt exactly like wine. Hints of chocolate and sweets are in there as well. But then comes the wine again. Fantastic.

First sip. And now I realize that this is one of those beers that just hits you like an anvil. After that first sip I knew it's now one of my favorite beers and can appreciate why it's so highly appreciated. This beer just a waterfall of dessert. At first I taste fudge, then wine, then a hint of caramel, and then all the flavors mesh and I'm left with one of the best desertif's I can think of. And then I get the bourbon aftertaste, haha awesome. Now I smell like I've been drinking whisky all night. Seriously this beer is a stunner. One of the most smile-inducing drinks I've had since Speedway Stout.

The mouthfeel is thick and smooth, can't beat that. Not a lot of carbonation, and I wouldn't have it otherwise.

Drinkability is a funny category to judge. It definitely isn't a session beer because of the high abv, but then again I'd probably take one of these bottles over 3 bottles of hoeggarden or something other. Furthermore it really isn't one of those beers that's so sweet and dessert like that you'd get sick of after too many.

Not much else to say. It's a shame it's one of the highest priced brews out there, but then again only now do I see why. If you're one who hasn't pulled the trigger because of the price you should definitely try it at least once, and make sure you have a big slice of tiramisu to go with it - I guarantee you'll be in your own little happy place.

On tap @ Local Option

Pitch black, with a light brown, foamy head.

Smells divine! Very sweet with oaken qualities. There is a bourbon bite along with some vanilla.

It tastes even better! There is a strong alcohol presence but the bourbon isn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. There are dark fruit skins here, some vanilla notes and chocolate.

This is a sipper but just a little thin in the mouthfeel for me. Also, you cannot do more than 2 helpings of this in a night. It'll floor you... as it did me. Just an awesome, all-around beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- very dark brown, cola colored as you see the liquid being poured. Light tan head, that gets pretty creamy when it settles down from that huge carbonation in the bottle.

S- At first, being poured cold, I get a big amount of raisin, and some chocolate. As it warms up and the carbonation is worked out of it a lot more chocolate, molasses and wood come out of it with a touch of fruitiness.

T- As expected the flavors really change from going from cold to warmer. This really needs to be consumed warmer and when a good deal of the carbonation is worked out of it. At that point you get lots of chocolate , a little fruit, and finishes with some woody tannins. The sweetness is just amazing in this beer but it's leveled out by the alcohol and the tannins.

M- as highly carbonated as this is, it really levels out fairly fast as it warms up. Getting past the carbonation, the body of this beer is surprisingly light. Quadrupels usually seem relatively light to me when thinking about how massively flavored and high alcohol they are, but Angel's Share reminds me of a Quadrupel in that regard.

D- I wouldn't drink strong ales all the time, but this specific one I could drink any time. It's so flavorful and an amazing experience.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375 ml corked & caged bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a extremely dark brown/pretty much black with quite the foamy heat off a aggressive pour but it doesn't take too long to settle down to the point where I can get enough in the glass to properly check out the look of this guy. The final head stands about 2 fingers or so of foamy light caramel colored head. ½ finger of retention that's more creamy in nature than the initial pour and flares up quite nicely when swirled, leaving a fantastic thick cascade of lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is a strong waft of Bourbon right off the bat that melds extremely well into silky sweet notes of cocoa powder, toffee, a touch of dark fruit tang, and maybe even some floral tones underneath. There is also an unmistakable sniff of heat that intermingles with the other flavors.

The taste is full of rich notes of sweetness, including caramel, toffee, and chocolate that encapsulated in thick Bourbon notes. The blending and balance of this is just phenomenal, with neither the Bourbon nor the other flavors of sweetness taking control at any given time. It finishes sweet and a touch warm as it clears the palette and heads down the throat. The mouthfeel feels fuller bodied at first up front but then a smoother and creamier carbonation takes control, polishing out the feel, and making this immensely drinkable. Warmth is imparted by both the ABV and Bourbon character but is never stinging and doesn't interfere at all with the majority of what is going on with other flavors. As a matter of fact the richness and balance if so good, that I sometimes have a hard time picking up a hint of the ABV at all.

This is another perfectly crafted work of art from the Lost Abbey. It's just one of those beers that is so rich, complex, and well balanced that it's easy to get lost in its awesomeness, and then because of its' fantastic quaffability, not realize that it's all gone until your licking the last drop out of the glass. Extremely well done! I loved every drop!

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Thanks go out to Shane for this bottle, an extra to beat all extras. I still owe that dude more than the, uh, Oatis that was my Cherry Adam extra in our trade. Bygones.

After reading myriad threads about this beer, I started to think obsessively about the bottle I got 4 or 5 months ago. With the riff-raff / brouhaha / shitstorm that surrounded the most recent release I figured it more than an apt time to stop imagining the beer, wondering when I should present it to a crowd of beer geeks, waiting for a solar eclipse, etc, and got down to drinking it.

Nervously, I thought about it from time to time - all the reviews made it seem like such a crapshoot - and when I finally decided to pul the trigger, it chilled all day at low temps. I popped it, and to my happy surprise it was not a gusher and it was not [at all] dead. Go.

Just a gorgeous beer, both in my snifter and my wife's. I never know why, but beers coming from those gorgeously and generally ridiculously priced 12.7 oz bottles just seem to contain more than a regular 12oz. Can't be. Deep, mysteriously murky, and as brown as you get before you run smack into black. Endless lace tides.

Nose is silken vanilla, treacle, malt syrup, and whispy strikes of peaty alcohol. Smells rich, if that's possible, and envelops you with aroma alone.

Holy crap raisin-bomb. Welcome to the Mellow Meldo-Rama! Everything is perfectly balanced, and has its place: oak, soft vanilla tannins, even the alcohol bite just fits. Only thing keeping this beer from perfection is the tiniest touch of 'off' sweetness that hits just as all the other ingredients fade. How that can the avoided with such a huge beer? The oak also really adds to the potentially lopsided English BW maltiness.

Drinkability is about as good as you could hope for in a beer this big, but it does go down better than even what I expected. Wish this would never end.

There's been some serious chatter about this brewery, and some of the rumors are disturbing. But I can only review what comes from the bottles I've had, and I've never had a bad bottle. Actually I've never had anything less than an exceptional bottle...

2010 vintage.

Angels Share is a fitting name for this heavenly ale. Tiny head but no head needed for this fine sipper. When then chalice was tilted only slightly, it took literally almost 30 seconds for the last bubbles to reach the surface. And I only tilted it enough to show a 1/4 inch of lace. A lexicon of flavors show in the nose and taste, one of the most complex and well crafted brews I've come across. Molasses, figs, caramelized candi sugar, plum, chocolate covered dark cherries and bourbon. Much more. Carbonation was low and the mouthfeel was pure velvet. Perfect. I'm on my way to grab more this weekend, don't be scared to drink it fresh, I know it can be cellar'd but it's hard to imagine an improvement over this.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - a deep murky dark sepia with no head or lacing as expected.

Smell - very strong, you can smell the oak. Hints of vanilla and sweets dark fruits.

Taste - Wow, loads of flavors. Vanilla, chocolate with a healthy dose of bourbon with an earthy finish.

Mouthfeel - medium carbonation but still very drinkable for the alcohol content.

Overall - again WOW. A rich complex beer that's definitely worth a try.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Deep, deep brown color-poured from the bottle a beautiful burgundy. Small head gone all too quickly. Sweet smelling-very port and raisen like. Wonderfully deep and rich flavor. Great notes of vanilla and oak. Noticeable alcohol flavors. Whiskey like flavors as well. Very smooth and creamy considering the abv. Lingering whiskey bite on the tongue. Very impressive beer. Night cap describes it all. Many thanks to callenak for this treat from Secret Santa 2006. Best US strong I have had-period.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12.7 oz cork-stopped bottle.

L - Deepest brown without being black. No light gets through. Very little head, mostly just wispy swirls on the surface and an off-white ring around the glass. Light Belgian lace.

S - Aromas of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, tobacco, oak. Hops are not obvious, but might be present intermixed with the tobacco aroma. No overt yeast notes. Light whiskey-tinged alcohol aromatics.

T - The flavors follow the aromas, but with some fruitiness as well. Coffee; chocolate milk; light plums; vanilla; coconut. There is a low aged, oxidized character similar to soy sauce, but it fits with the other flavors rather than detracting. Somewhat dry finish.

F - Thick body. Low carbonation. Surprisingly low alcohol burn for the ABV. Bracing hop bitterness, but not over the top.

O - This is an incredibly rich and complex beer. I t emphasizes rounded qualities from aging over the direct oak or whiskey it was aged in.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 375ml bottle into a snifter. Served at 55F.

A: Light off-white head. little retention. Deep reddish brown. Mild lacing, a little clarity around the edges of the glass.
S: Bourbon and alcohol. Did I mention bourbon?
T: wow. Really strong barlywine flavor. With bourbon and warming. Lots of bourbon and warming. Sweet on the first sip, deep bourbon flavor with oak, plum. the flavor is amazing and very pleasing.
M: Medium body, the alcohol is really only evident in the finish with medium warming and a bit of stinging on the back of the throat.
O: Great barleywine, fantastic oak and bourbon flavors. Phenomenal flavors and aroma. Docked points for the moderate warming. Alcohol was evident mainly in the aromas and finish, while the flavors up front were quite pleasant and balanced. Overall, one of the best barleywine's I've ever had. Highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to prototypic for the chance to try this one.

A - Cork comes out of the bottle with a booming pop. Get this one to glass quick or you run the risk to losing some to spill over. Pours thick and dark brown. Some murkiness lingers around in the glass. The tan pillowy head rose to the top of the glass but did not go over the edge at all. Retention is out of control. Pour this one and then go find something else to do for a while because this head is not going anywhere for a while. The lacing that remains behind is spotty but not bad.

S - A wave of dark fruit hits the nose first. Definitely has some fig and cherry. Could have some of the more tart fruits like cranberry or raspberry but those are hard to pick out. Old wood and bourbon show up around midway and play a nice supporting role to the fruit. Some of the sweeter aromas pop in at the end - caramel and cocoa. Other aromas of note are dark bread and yeast.

T - Wow! Taste follows aroma pretty closely and is superb. This beer might be too complex for words to do justice. Dark fruity goodness is up front with flavors of fig, dried cherries, raisins, and raspberry. Midway shows hints of caramel, toffee, dark bread, chocolate, and yeast. Earthy flavors are more in the background with wood and moss. Bourbon is present throughout and always stays just warm enough to keep this beer delicious.

M - Full bodied with too much carbonation. Carbonation only detracts from the beer a little since it starts level out as the beer warms. Remarkably smooth given the abv. Finish is sweet and warm.

D - Drinkability is very good. This is one amazing beer. The alcohol is hiddeen very well. The taste is very complex and smooth. At 12% it goes down very easy but you will want to savor and sip this beer. I just can't say enough about how good this beer is.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

imstillthegman is, indeed, still the gman. I don't even need to know what that means to know that it's true. Why? Because he deserves my trust.

Excellent pour. Just--just remarkable, right there. It's like there's a whole little world that died just to make this pour, it's that's goddamn good.

Smells very, very... umm, what's the word? "Strong." There we go. That's the word. It's quite strong. Lots of insanely sweet malt, medium-strength west coast hops. As it warms, the strength stays at about the same intensity, but the individual flavors mellow slightly enough that the become discernible from one another. Heavy nodes of vanilla and oaken whiskey are present, along with some sweet, fruity, and lightly peaty malts. Sort of a cross between Bourbon County stout and a good dubbel.

Tastes very much as it smells. Starts hugely strong, big giant nodes of toffee, raisins, sweet brandywine, chocolate, vanilla, oak, sweet fruit lingers at the end with bitterness. Hops? No--I thought I smelled some but I think I was wrong.

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 Vintage that was opened on March 02, 2014. Beer fridge temp (58F).

A: This is a deep brown strong ale. There is a thin ring of tan head that seems to have a pretty good life expectancy.

S: Very enjoyable. Molasses, bourbon, a very slight heat that is perfect for a snowy evening. Some fruit esters. Oak. It is robust and complex and very very good.

T: Fantastic. Sweet, caramel, bourbon, oak, very complex. Very little alcohol (and its 12.5%!) which adds so much complexity. Just a little dark chocolate. Little vanilla. This is very well done and very well balanced.

M: Perfect. Coating with a touch of carbonation which adds complexity. Outstanding.

O: I don't want to repeat myself, but it was very enjoyable, fantastic, outstanding, etc etc etc.

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Date: 4/6/14
Location: Trade from PA
Glassware: Tulip
Appearance: The beer is black as night. Large viscous ring, no head no carbonation. There is a lot of cling when you sip the beer.
Aromatics: Big dark fruits with plums, dark grapes. Bourbon with a big alcohol smell. Some oxidization, little soy smell.
Flavor: The plums come in strong, heavy on the dark fruit. The bourbon flavoring is nice, warming alcohol, vanilla and some wood.
Mouthfeel: Very viscous, coating my tongue. Very warm alcohol goes all the way down my throat.
Notes: The cork swelled in the bottle, needed a cork screw to get it out. Bottled Dec. 2012. Bottle conditioned for 1 year.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to tayner for an amazing trade.

Pours a dark brown and ruby with a huge rocky light tan head. Appears to be quite overcarbonated. Nose REEKS of bourbon heat and dark fruits, wood. Taste = Bourbon! dark fruit, caramel, bourbon soaked raisins, vanilla, caramel apple, wood and bourbon and alcohol on the finish. Wonderful. Great sweetnes lingers in the mouth and on the lips. This one will be amazing after a few years in the cellar. Mouthfeel is suprisingly thin and waaayyy more carbonated than I expected. Drinkability is good for the style, but will greatly improve with some cellaring I think. Certainly an amazing concoction, bourbon is right up front. Defenitely a great cellar candidate. Pleased to have had the opportunity to have tried it. Thanks again, Dana!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Extra special thanks to Kels for sharing this the other night -- easily one of the most amazing beers I've ever had.

Appearance: Pours a very deep brown that is toffee in color with a huge 3+ finger head that is that (the carbonation is so impressive in this beer that when uncorked, a fog rolls out of the bottle and looks like something out of a mad scientist's lab); head slowly dwindles to a full, thick and chewy skim.

Smell: Toffee, vanilla, woody oak and alcohol -- smell is very sweet; essence of some burnt sugar maltiness and even some chocolate in there as well.

Taste: Holy crap. Simply amazing. Almost exactly like the smell with the toffee, vanilla, burnt sugar maltiness and hints of sweet milky chocolate; slight hints of woodiness with the bourbonesque alcohol that runs a little hot, but still very tasty and well blended with the other strong flavors.

Mouthfeel: Very warm and tingly from the alcohol; carbonation is more mild in the mouthfeel than in the appearance and it comes across as smoother than I would have expected; body is a little thick and chewy -- sticky and leaves a mild coating.

Drinkability: Too high for something that clocks in at 12% ABV. The taste is amazing, the body is warm and smooth, the smell is super enticing and matches the flavors perfectly... Quite possibly one of the best beers... EVER.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

another beer that has compelled me to write... mmm... i like it a lot...

pours a brown, orange-tinged-on the edges, bubbly liquid into my snifter. big, beige head sits cakey for a while, then sinks to lace and film. smell is wonderful - vanilla, oak, bourbon, caramel malts... dates? taste is equally complex: woody (oak with vanilla and something that reminds me of grilled peaches. i have tasted it in bourbon before), sweet like dates, with just a hint of banana. the finish is so pleasantly bourbon-y, with a bit of herbal hops. i love it. mouthfeel is nice, changing from medium to medium-thick as it sits on my tongue. almost like old viscosity in that way.

i am a huge fan, not what i was expecting, but very very good.

thanks lost abbey!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

2006 on tap at the Toronado Barleywine Festival in Feb. of 08.

What an exceptional beer. I'm not convinced this is a barleywine strictly. It's a bit heavy on the dark, chocolate and crystal malts. It pours a dark brown, almost black. It also has a significant chocolate flavor on there. There's also tons of caramel and vanilla from the bourbon barrel. It's pretty thick, full bodied, but it goes down silky smooth. This was by far the best beer at the fest, even though I'm not sure it would classify as a barleywine by BJCP or by GABF standards. I guess that's why lost abbey classifies it as one of their "non-denomination beers." Still, this is a must have for any beer fan. What a treat. I could sit for hours and just sniff that vanilla, caramel, chocolate and oak.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Yes this was third course 09 BGBBD @ sierra, just sick to know that it was the bourbon instead of the brandy. So dark and happy, I've had the bourbon in bottle before and loved it and this was no exception. Poured dark with little head. Aromas were huge so much vanilla like I remembered it and thank god I got a snifter of this at the end. Went down too smooth and easy. I could care less about carb issues, this was almost complete and for me was up there with BBVD, BA Boris and Nor'easter Cl for best bourbon brews.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap @ Lost Abbey / Port Brewing's 3rd Anniversary party. 4oz taster. Tasting notes from 5/9/2009. 2009 vintage.

Appearance: Pitch black, with a light brown head. The head moves very well with lacing. No sign of the "flat share" here. Being on tap probably makes up for it. Very nice visually.

Smell: Wow -- complex. It's hard to figure out the nose, based on how unique it is. There is a definite sweet and oaky smell that goes throughout the nose. The smell of bourbon is very apparent. There are hints of oatmeal somewhere in the complexity. There are sweet, slightly floral tones throughout the nose. Very complex, very unique, and quite good. ONe of the few 5.0 rating beers for smell.

Taste: Just as complex as the nose. Starts off very sweet, with a strong bourbon taste. Hints of oak. Finishes bitter with a strong alcohol bite. The aftertaste is definitely is filled with bourbon. Complex and tasty -- I like it. One of the few 5.0 rating beers for taste.

Mouthfeel: There is a pretty complex, oaky, bourbon feel to this beer (if such a thing exists). There is a well executed bitter taste/feel to this beer. Heavy bodied.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipping beer. The alcohol is harsh and very apparent. Definitely a sipping beer and probably is one of those single bottle beers (if that). Tastes like it would complement food very well. Savor this beer.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers, but again, you can't drink too much in a single sitting. This probably will age very well also.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

Let me first say that at first I really wanted to not like this beer. Something about this whole frequent special releases thing kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

A- I have to say this looks just about perfect. Very dark brown, almost black with a creamy, tan head that leaves quite a bit of lacing as it falls.

S- Smell is very enticing, sweet, brown sugar, spices, almost detect a sour note towards the end, slight coffee, a bit of bourbon.

T- Taste is much different than I was suspecting from the smell. Tastes creamy, mixed spices in the middle, sweet cream, a slight bit of bourbon. Can detect the alcohol warming but it blends in so superbly. The sweetness wears on you after a while. Definitely a sipper.

M- A bit thinner than I would have guessed, very crisp with a lot of carbonation. Refreshing, I'm a little tired of beers that are way too thick, this is excellent.

D- I really really wanted to not like this beer. I tried to find as much wrong with it as I could but I just couldn't. Not a huge fan of the brewery, didn't buy into the hype and I loved it. Try to get a bottle now why there is still some in circulation, you won't regret it.

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle at one of my favorite places - Monks Café in Philly.

A: Deep dark brown. Decent carbonation and head. Head is lighter brown in color.

S: Very strong bourbon smell. I get a hint of vanilla and something fruity. Can't quite catch it. Decent smell of some dark fruits as well - figs/plums.

T: Ah, this is what we came for. I will admit - I had this after a Deliverance. Cherries and then some dark fruits up front. Then some toffee and some light chocolate. Finishes with bourbon and a hint of vanilla.

M: Very nice. Moderate to high carbonation but still feels creamy. Very interesting.

O: Give it to Lost Abbey to make another wonder bourbon barrel aged beer. Definitely a quality beer.

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Black with a wispy brown head and plenty of lacing on the way down.

Smell: Coconut, caramel, figs.

Taste: Up front it’s big time caramel malt with vanilla. Bitterness peeks in a bit. Fades into a woody sweet ethanol taste. Leaves a bourbon aftertaste on the breath.

Mouthfeel: Very thick with fine carbonation.

Overall: Great sipping beer. Strong, boozy, and delicious.

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey