The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
Reviews: 660 | Hads: 1,686
4.09/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not as thick but reminds me a lot of Weyerbacher's Insanity. Very similar in look and taste. It would be interesting to do a blindfold taste with the two. Nonetheless, this British barley wine is delicious albeit a bit pricey. Off to buy another one (hiccup). (259 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a mini snifter three ways.

A: Wow! Carbonation ahoy! Go Lost Abbey! Slightly see-through black with brown around the edges.

S: Sweet vanilla with oaky bourbon and malty goodness. Chocolate notes follow behind a slight alcohol burn to the nostrils.

T: Brown sugar, dark molasses, vanilla coffee beans, a mix of bitter and milk chocolate, strong bourbon notes, restrained sweetness.

M: Long and lingering oaky vanilla aftertaste. Medium-low carbonation. Mouthfeel is full.

O: This is a fantastic ale, and although it's quite a bit pricey, it's worth at least a try or two. Would love to buy more to put away for a couple years. (642 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

beautiful super dark brown pour, with light tan film on top. tilting the tulip glass leaves a consistent, but not thick, layer of micro bubbles and film. very nice looking in the glass!
aroma is divine. reminds me of that elusive Eclipse clone I've been looking for. dark fruit, fig, prune, but with lots of bourbon (not overpowering, though). this smells exactly like the Elijah Craig 12 year Eclipse I had last month. this is supreme! so far, so awesome. I wanna say five so far....
taste is also a lot like the Eclipse although this is a different taste. where the eclipse is a stout, this is what Lost Abbey calls on the label "malt beverage"???? with so much definition in our beer world these days, what the heck is a 'malt beverage'? that makes it sound like a Zima or some kind of Seagrams crap. their website says the 2011 version is an English Barleywine. the one I have is 2013.
the liquid is much thicker than Eclipse and the taste is also much thicker. sorry about the frequent references to the Eclipse; that is my new standard. this clocks in at 12.5% though and that explains a lot of the thickerness.... taste is also of the dark fruits with lots of bourbon barrel influence. one of the best tasting 12+% brews I've ever had. I wonder if it were a tad lower in abv if it be a little smoother? and, at that point, perfect. the sweet caramelness is almost a little beyond base. either way, this is still a great brew. (1,432 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12.7 oz. bottle originally purchased in the San Diego area and shipped back to D.C. (thanks, John Serra!), 2012 vintage, poured into my Rogue chalice, drank 9/26/13 over several hours (nice sipping distractor from the monotony of bottling homebrew):

A: 3/3 - ruby red-to-dark brown depending on the lighting, minimal clarity, pours into a subtle glass lacing (to be expected for a high ABVer)

S: 11/12 - tobacco, leather, rum...barrel-aged bomb that's 2 Legit 2 Quit!

T: 18/20 - on the anterior tongue, the rich bourbon complexity hits like heavyweight; in the middle of the mouth, the flavors continue to envelope with a rich sugar complexity; bourbon-notes continuing to linger until the finis where the booze hits big time too

M: 4/5 - moderate-to-high bodied; appropriate carbonation; booze supercoats the tongue

O: 9/10 - another winner from The Lost Abbey; an impressively complex bourbon-barreled aged brown that leaves me clamoring for another bottle (if you're reading Dr. Serra...?!?)

TOTAL = 45/50 (1,014 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -3.6%

12.7oz bottle, thanks be to doktorzee for the bottle. Warning - bring out your corkscrew for this one - wrist action, teeth, nor pliers would do the trick otherwise.

This beer pours a murky, very dark roan brown hue, with ever so slight basal cola edges, and one finger of tightly foamy, and mostly just straight-up creamy beige head, which settles rather quickly, leaving some decent swaths of snow rime lace around the glass as things duly sink away.

It smells of fairly woody oak, with a lesser vanilla/caramel sweetness, floral, raisiny red wine, bittersweet chocolate, spicy grain alcohol, further besotted dark orchard fruit, and a wee oily nuttiness. The taste is big caramel/toffee malt, sugary bourbon barrel notes - vanilla, more caramel, and a rather denatured alcohol sweetness - cherry pie, butterscotch, dried coconut flesh, dark baking sugar, and a slight earthy dryness.

The carbonation is quite innocuous, the body a sturdy medium-heavy weight, and really quite smooth, and even a tad creamy - no hops gadding about, messing up this metric. It finishes on the mildly saccharine side, the very same sort that has assaulted my sweet tooth over the past half hour - caramel, vanilla, booze, and indistinct fleshy fruit.

A well-wrought strong ale, with heady bourbon barrel notes, and a more or less tempered sweetness, overall, somehow. I'm sure there's more to say about the nature of this affair, including the idea espoused in the name and on the label, but I'm too tired, and this beer is too good, for me to get any more florid than I already am. (1,569 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I did not expect that. I did not expect this to be so good. I don't know why. I just came in with low standards and was blown away. This is easily one of my favorite beers now. Had on tab, and I own bottles of the 2011 and 2013 vintages; I'm looking forward to opening these.

A - Not too impressive for a world class beer. Dark, thin, a hint of red rose and maroon coloring when held up to the light.

S - Roses, sweet bourbon, dark cherries, a little stout smell. Instantly knew my expectations were about to be destroyed when I smelled this one.

T - This took me to another place. Ripped me from reality. Tastes about as good as it smells. If you let it fall to the sides of your tongue you taste the bourbon. Sweet, home-made chocolate. Almost a stout flavor as well. This tastes great. EDIT: Oh, a little bit of port. I noticed this when I was writing the "Overall" rating up.

M - Slightly sticky. Some spilled over the side of the glass and felt just as sticky on my glass as it did in my mouth. Runs straight over the tongue and into the back of your throat, almost challenges you to put it in a shot glass and throw one back.

O - Very impressed. If you can find a bottle under $15, I would recommend picking it up. Easy buy. I could drink this all night, and it is the perfect post-dinner beer, like a port. Easy to drink despite how chewy it is to me. One of my favorite beers.

Because of Angel's Share on tap, I picked up 2 bottles (2011, 2013), and a bottle of 2011 Deliverance, which I am excited to try. (1,522 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter.

Pours a dark brown a couple of shades shy of black. Nice active dark tan head giving evidence that this is well carbonated unlike the 2011 vintage I had two years ago.

Aroma is big barrel notes of oak, bourbon, vanilla, and char joined by a chewy Barleywine base showcasing figs, dates, raisins, caramel, and cocoa powder. The aroma is huge and intoxicating. A bit heavy on the barrel but that's not really an issue.

The palate gets struck with a more balanced beast as the barrel character plays well with the dark fruits, caramelized sugars, and powdered chocolate notes. There is booziness but it helps counteract the sweetness. Oak tannins come out in the end to lend a nice touch to the vanilla and charred raisin aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. A little light but goes with the style. It's not intended to be heavy like a stout. It's more like a creamy light liqueur.

Overall a very nice beer and certainly the carbonation does wonders to the experience. The flavors are very well integrated and drinks rather smooth for the abv. I still prefer Deliverance to this considering it has a bit fuller mouthfeel and more depth of flavor. My belief is this has become a bit under appreciated. Though not a shocker considering the price tag, but still not a beer that's talked about much like it used to be. (1,333 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours a very dark cola colored brown. Very opaque with little to no red highlights often found at the edges of the glass of such a dark beer. Nice thick mocha colored head that retains its size for a surprisingly long time despite the alcohol content.

The scent is amazing. Notes of treacle, molasses, raisin, plum, vanilla, and caramel. Lots going on there, but each with proper balance and not a hint of alcohol burn. A very enjoyable scent that is stunning.

The first impression once tasting is a silky smooth mouthfeel that is pure satin on the palette. The flavor begins with a cocoa and caramel bittersweet and progresses to the notes of dark fruit and treacle found in the nose. Nice finish of vanilla with just a hint of warming alcohol.

Altogether this is a very intense, yet balanced beer. A true sipper and well worth the long wait for the barrelled beer. (876 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

For $14.99, this beer better be good! I haven't had a lot of beers from The Lost Abbey, but what I have had I have really enjoyed. This one is special, because it comes from our trade with my buddy Erick. He provided us a ton of bottles on the list, so you will hear me talking about him quite a bit. This beer also has a high ABV. For that much, it better!

This beer is aged in oak barrels. That is such a trend right now in craft beer. Just because you have an empty oak barrel doesn't mean you need to age your beer in it! But from what I hear, this is a beer that is worth every penny and worth every drop. Cool story on where they get the name, too. This one is for you, Erick!

In the Glass: The beer is flat and looks like a flat soda in the glass. That doesn't upset me, as this beer should be somewhat flat. I don't want a barrel aged beer with too many bubbles. There isn't much head, and the lace is pretty boring. It does leave a thin layer of sticky residue on the side of the glass, but nothing to write home about.

Nose: I poured the beer and before I could turn around, Sheryl goes, "Smells like wine." I guess I know what to expect when I smell this beer! She's right, though. It does smell like wine. Imagine a nice woody Merlot. The beer is ice cold, but I wanted to try it both cold and at room temperature. I am not going to wait until it heats up to drink it. I am impatient! Cheers!

Flavor: This beer is a seasonal release from The Lost Abbey, and it did hit store shelves here in the Valley earlier this year. However, before I even knew it was here it was gone. At $14.99 a bottle, it better be delicious. Let's find out.

Oh. My. GOD! That's not beer. Nope. That is NOT beer. That is heaven in a glass. I guess the name Angel's Share is fitting. If this is what the angels are drinking, I hope to become one when I am dead and gone. There is SO much complexity here. You can definitely taste the high ABV, but then a nice layer of sweetness sets in and the alcohol heat is a thing of the past.

You can really taste the barrels in this beer, which is something not a lot of barrel aged beers can say. I bet this beer would age really well, too. That is what I was hoping it would taste like. Holy crap, that's good! For a brewery that is somewhat new to the craft beer scene, this is a great example of what makes a brewery succeed. i know why they limit the release on this, but I want a keg of this in my belly right now!!!

Mouthfeel: It's flat. It's also thick. There is a thin line of bubble around the edges, but I am focused on the sweetness in this release. I mean, wow. I am having a hard time finding the words to say to explain this beer. There is just so much flavor. As you swallow, a nice subtle dryness sets in and leave your palate just happy longing for another sip. I would love to see how this ages. Imagine this in 3, 5, even 7 year from now. What a treat!

Aftertaste: I wish the aftertaste lasted a little bit longer. It hangs around for a few minutes but it is not as intense as I had hoped. I bet this would be a great beer to pair a nice cigar with. We are planning a long weekend to San Diego this fall, and The Lost Abbey will be a stop on our list. I can't to see what else this brewery can do.

Erick, thank you so much for making this beer a reality. This is SO good. I hope you, living in San Diego, get the chance to try this and many more rare bottles from The Lost Abbey. I am jealous that you are so close to a brewery that can produce beers this delicious. I don't want it to end! (3,553 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage served in a snifter

Appearance: Pours very dark brown in color. There's not so much of a head, but rather a thin coating of light tan foam. Body is nearly opaque with only a small amount of light seeping through at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Lots of bourbon barrel character, caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, wood, fudge.

Taste: Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, toffee, dark fruit (raisins in particular), oak, slight twinge of hop bitterness

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Alcohol is there, but masked very well.

Overall: Another winner from Lost Abbey. A little pricey, but worth it. (639 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage poured from a 375ml bottle. Color is very nearly black while there's quite a bit of carbonation in the form of very fine bubbles. It's enough to yield a finger-high head that leaves some sparse lacing and a fine foamy film behind. Aroma features ripe, dark fruit with nice, subtle barrel-aging notes. Very little fusel presence. Ripe raisin and plum notes. The barrels add a touch of oaky vanilla.

Flavor is very nicely balanced, hardly too sweet and/or boozy. A hint of stout-like roasty, dark-chocolatey character. Dark fruit and barrel notes take over from there. A bit of a syrupy texture with soft, but not quite silky carbonation. There's actually a bit too much carbonation going on, but at least it's not harsh and overly fizzy. Some lingering oak and vanilla on the finish.

The Angel's Share is an expensive proposition, but this bourbon barrel version wow'ed me. Good balance, not at all "hot," this is ready to drink right now. A top-notch barrel-aged ale. (982 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 Vintage.

A - Very dark murky brown colour with a thin layer of dirty taupe head.

S - Sweet bourbon, vanilla and oak. Caramel, raisin, toffee.

T - Barrel at first: bourbon, charred oak and vanilla with a good sweetness. Toffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses.

M - Medium to full body. Creamy. Light. (309 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage
Poured into a standard tulip glass.

Appearance: (4.75)
Pours a deep, cloudy, dark brown that verges on black. A gigantic, frothy, tightly bubbled, 3 fingers tall, khaki head shoots out of the viscous liquid almost immediately and lasts an absolutely incredible length of time. I've never seen a high ABV, barrel aged beer have head that was for one, this tall and lasted this long. As it finally recedes, it leaves thick sheets of lacing along the edges of the glass, again highly unusual for such a high ABV, barrel aged beer. Absolutely outstanding.

Aroma: (4.5)
Wow. Waves and waves of bourbon drifts up from the depths of the dark, alluring beer. The spicy bourbon character takes on subtle nuances of vanilla and light coconut. Underneath the massive barrel character, there are sizable notes of toffee, figs, plums, rum soaked cherries and caramel. for nearly 13%, the alcohol is very well masked, by the sweet malt character.

Taste: (4.75)
Sweet cherries upfront, with big, dark fruits not far behind; mostly more of the fig and the plum that is found in the nose. Underneath the juicy notes of fruit there is a solid, sweet wall of rich toffee and silky, milk chocolate. While this somewhat bread-y malt backbone is sweet, it never comes close to being cloying. The beer finish off dry from the high ABV and leaves resounding, lingering notes of sweet fig, cherry plum, toffee, powdered cocoa and bread. There are massive bourbon barrel notes in the finish as well; vanilla and faint coconut. The alcohol is hidden massively well, wow.

Mouthfeel: (5)
Robust and full mouthfeel with a delightfully, creamy, silky smooth body. Hides the alcohol extraordinarily well. Consistent, moderate to high carbonation. High drinkability.

Overall: (4.5)
Wow! This is an absolutely incredible beer, really hits on all cylinders! Huge, bourbon character in both the nose and in the taste, the base beer is an incredible example of a barleywine and the mouthfeel is up there with some of the best beers I've ever had. Extremely little alcohol in the taste. I've heard that Lost Abbey has had some problems with carbonation in this beer before, but rest assured, there is NO issue with this year's vintage. It's 100% ready to drink now. Buy this asap. (2,264 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a deep garnet color with a small, very fine head that leaves a nice sheet of lacing.

Smells of sweet malts combined with some oak wood and vanilla.

Tastes of the sweet malts with bourbon notes coming through. Malts lead off with caramel, toffee, and chocolate. Vanilla comes through blending into some oak woodiness. This ends with a bit more sweetness. Comes off pretty hot, but that is expected.

Mouthfeel is full with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is tasty and I am glad I finally got a chance to try this. (535 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Brown in the glass, one finger head, not much carbonation, clear amber/ruby when pouring.

S-Good deal of bourbon, vanilla, oak and caramel.

T-Starts with strong bourbon notes, balanced with vanilla and oak. Lots of toffee/caramel. Apples and chocolate as it warms.

M-Lighter, not much carbonation, tad watery.

O-Yay for not getting an infected bottle! A yummy beer but the risk of infection is there. (406 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.9%

2012 Bourbon version served in snifter.

A- Deep dark brown/amber in color. Almost no head retention with no lacing to be found.

S: Nice aromas of vanilla, oak, toasted coconut, and booze are detectable.

T: Bourbon notes up front lead to oak, vanilla, and heat from the booze. Pleasant finish of candied sugar and figs.

M: The body is full, almost syrupy with minimal carbonation .

Overall: This edition of angel's share was enjoyable. I prefer the brandy barrel version because although the bourbon accentuates the flavors of the base beer, the brandy really adds a new dimension. (590 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2011 Vintage.
appearance: Dark dark brown. Nearly opaque save for some ruby highlights around the edges when held to light. Nearly no head.
smell: bourbon and rich decadence. Chocolate, vanilla, coconut, just a depth of rich aromas.
taste: More of the same. surprisingly smooth given the strength and depth of flavor.
overall: Would that I could drink an uninfected one of these each week. awesome. I can't forget that I've had 3 infected as well as an infected Deliverance. Still a great beer but makes me think twice before springing for another.
(To be fair, LA sent me some fantastic glassware when I reported the infected brews). (636 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Hot ass 100 degree Cali night. and im in the mood for stouts and bourbon.

problems.
answers.

Blast the AC to 68 and act like it's winter!

With the idea in mind i grab Angel's Share (BOURBON) edition of course... open to no pop.. pours with no head. no carbonation. no wonderful lacing. hmm. coloring is murky dark. like a swamp at night.

Smellin, and it is in fact bourbon, hot bourbon. not overwhelming, sort of one dimensional.

Booozy. But delicious taste and aftertaste. i was in the mood for bourbon after all. i just wish it wasn't so flat. i drank a deliverance last night that was in fact quite carbonated. soo just my bottle perhaps.

Overall, its gonna get the job done. maybe not in the way i planned or wanted. but i'll get there. with a smile :) (764 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Palm snifter.

body is dark brown but clear and looks oily when poured into the glass. No head at all or carbonation visible.

smell is of oxidized (tawny) port, oak and bourbon

taste is port, oak, vanilla, dominating sourness in the aftertaste

no carbonation sensed, body is thick and oily, warming alcohol

Boy, I do not know what to make of this. On the nose it is very much like drinking an aged portwine and also in the mouthfeel as there is no carbonation. I do like that, but what I don't like is the sour aftertaste. It makes the whole experience unbalanced. Infected? Big dissapointment.

Just read the other reviews and saw that they do have some carbonation. Therefore I guess mine has somehow gone bad. Sad. (739 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle 12,5% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2012 Bourbon version.

I am the 1000th person to review Angel's Share :D

Appearance: Angel's Share appears a very deep brown (verging on black) in the glass, however a strong back light transforms the body into the deepest of reds, with beautiful golden amber edges. A rough pour yields a good sized tan coloured head that lasts well for the style/abv. and even leaves a little lacing as it recedes. A light swirl coats the glass in heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Ah man, this smells phenomenal! The barrel character obliterates much of the base beer in the initial nose, but it is so good that it becomes a non issue! Buttery vanilla, sweet caramel, butterscotch, oak, toasted coconut and a little booze are all noted. As the beer begins to warm, some more of the base beer begins to emerge, with notes of brown sugar, earthy toasted malt and some dark fruits.

Taste: As with the nose, the initial flavour offers a ton of barrel character as well as a fair amount of alcohol. Warming does yield an increase in notes from the base beer, but at times the overall flavour comes across as a tad thin (of course I am really nit picking here, because this stuff is delicious!).
Notes include: buttery vanilla, rich caramel, butterscotch, a fair amount of oak, brown sugar, some dark fruits (cherry, raisin and maybe a touch of date) and toasted malt.

Mouthfeel: I am probably the only person in the world to say this, but I think Angel's Share is a tad overcarbonated (medium or just over level). That said, it is velvety smooth and settles down pretty quickly. The body is just shy of full (fuller would have been better) and lightly sticky.

Overall: Angel's Share is a superb barrel aged beer and one I would love to have again. That said, I do think a year or two in the bottle would likely yield an improvement - seems I will have to get another bottle or two to test my theory! (1,962 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

We crack the cage and cork on a bottle stamped “BOURBON 2012”, pour an oily brew of burnt caramel coloring, letting up hues of the deepest cider around the edges with light. It held a very brief one finger head of eggnog colored bubbles. With a swirl of the glass these jump up to leave spots of lacing here and there. A thick haze cuts clarity, with little grains of black and brown sediment suspended throughout. Carbonation appears to be moderate. The aroma is huge, with mossed oak, smooth buttery diacetyls, and hearty bourbon character right off the bat, even though it is still colder. With warmth the depth of caramel malts blossoms, with rich and syrupy toffees, Vermont maple syrup, crisp and cooling vanilla bean, dead lawn, soy sauce, light rye and powdered oat, and fusel gasoline bite. Our first impression is that the flavoring is hot with big booziness like the nose, but is insanely complex, smooth, and sippable. As we sip, the flavoring opens with burnt butter, literal caramel syrups, spicy and warming bourbon, chalked oakiness, juicy ale yeastiness, palpably stinging booze, bittered fig stem, and smoothing vanilla cleanliness.
The peak comes with rich dark chocolate nibs, massively roasted caramel, light peanutiness, fusel bite of alcohol, raisin and browned apple sweetness, and straight bourbon flavoring minus any additional booziness. Sweetness washes through the finish as caramel and bourbon-soaked dates, with biting dryness of the oak coming through strongly. The mix otherwise finishes with contrasting dryness of cooked caramels, oatmeal, and barley, black pepper spice, and a revival of those beautifully creamy buttery diacetyls. The aftertaste breathes of candied apple sweetness, caramel syrups, bourbon heat, starkly drying oak, faint muskiness, cocoa nibs, fermented strawberry mash, and black pepper bite. The body is full and the carbonation is light to medium. There is oily and sticky slurp, smack, and sip, with lesser cream or froth to the lip. The mouth is thickly coated, with eventual dryness from the oak and the booze streaking the palate with astringency, puckering, and prickling the tongue. The abv is big but decently well hidden, and the beer is a slow, but glorious, sipper.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was its aroma. This guy will take you an hour to drink, even if you do the right thing and share with some friends. If you’re trying to take notes and rate it will be even longer. This is one of the deepest most complex beers we’ve had the pleasure of tackling. It’s actually funny because the aging has blended each component so well that it almost comes across as simple, as everything is so hard to dissect. The nose gives wonderfully authentic wood and bourbon warmth, cleanly complementing the darkness of the grain and fruit. The flavor delivers as you would expect, with just as much punch. The booze is certainly present, but nicely contributes to the final blend, with just the right amount of sting through the end. This is a fantastic beer, and a great introduction for us into the winding world of The Lost Abbey. (3,117 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Trade from jrgratz. Thanks!!! 2011 dated bottle, enjoyed April 24, 2012. Pours dark brown with ruby edges and no head whatsoever. Smell is strong vanilla, oak, molasses, and lots of bourbon. Thick and viscous mouthfeel with essentially no carbonation. Flavor is big vanilla notes with sweet molasses and brown sugar, finishing with big whiskey notes. Some mellow burnt charcoal taste too that is new to me and relaxing like sittin’ by the fire. Lots of alcohol warmth. Some real astringent alcohol. A sipper for sure, but an awesome sipper. (542 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

Had the 2010 on tap. Pours a great dark plum black. Not a lacing to be seen although still fairly carbonated.

Smell of delicious oak and roasted nutty vanilla notes. Dried candied plums.

Tastes of dried fruit, raisins with a molasses and toasted nuttiness. Bourbon and vanilla oak notes linger throughout.

Mouthfeel is creamy, round, fat, yet smooth.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. The quality of the beer shines through in every category. A complex beer that stays dangerously drinkable. (499 characters)

A - Pours a cloudy opaque deep mahogany. almost no foam. just a thin tan film which quickly disappears to a ring around the rim.

S - nose is dominated by sweet caramelly bourbon notes. oak/woody notes are also very present. as it warms notes of dark bread, hints of dried fruit and berries such as dates, figs, and a touch of cranberries. a touch of pepper and cinnamon spice to round it out.

T - sweet notes of caramel and molasses up front. hints of toasty, doughy bread. slightly peppery hints of booze in the middle along with juicy fruit notes of dates and figs for balance. lots of caramel on the backend. finish is long and peppery.

M - full bodied. silky creamy texture. medium carbonation just enough to keep it from being cloying.

O - a very smooth bourbon barrel aged beer. i wish it was just a touch more complex though. (840 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance -vintage 2011 poured into weyerbacher tulip! Pours dark brown with a very thin tan head. Smell-big bourbon in the nose loads of vanilla,dry oak wood, tobacco and whiskey bourbon! One of the best smelling beers!! Taste- holy shit wow is this beer smooth !! Vanilla upfront with some dark dried fruits such as raisins and dates finished with a nice finish if the alcohol burn and vanilla and toffee!! This beer is suppose to be sipped an well worth the price. Mouthfeel-very smooth for a 12.5% brew! It is seriously so smooth for how much bourbon is in this beer and the lower carbonation works well for the style if it was too carbonated this beer would be way too harsh and the vanilla notes would not be there at all!! (730 characters)

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey