The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
Reviews: 671 | Hads: 1,733
4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Pours a reddish, dark brown body with some gunky murkiness to it and a large, fizzy, tan head.

Smell: Pleasantly pungent aroma of heavenly, heavily caramelized sugars, golden raisins, and a gratifying waft of alcohol. Plenty of distinct bourbon barrel accents, too.

Taste: Dark, rich caramelly malts, tons of dark fruitiness, a spoonful of vanilla creme brullee, and with a big taste of brown sugar striking the palate. Nice, complimenting blend of woodiness and top-shelf bourbon. Faint, faint touch of roast picked up on the otherwise sweet, warm, and wooden finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Full carbonation that really fizzles up the mouth.

Drinkability: For me, it was more than a bit overcarbonated, but thankfully it delivered a satisfying tastiness to warrant fighting the fizzies.

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to tayner for this botltle from her winning box the first ever TIF. Shared with BA rbuckstar, half of a 375 poured into a DFH oversized wine glass. Two twists of the cage and the cork almost went through the ceiling with the biggest bang I've heard from a bottle of beer.

A - Deep, reddish brown with an uneven, three finger tan head.

S - Smooth bourbon, with loads of vanilla and oak.

T - Malty and sweet, with just a little too much bourbon for my tastes.

M - Very nice on the tongue, with just the right amount of carbonation (after it was all released on opening).

D - It's a great, well put together, complex beer, but it almost seems futile to rate the drinkability of such a rare beer.

3.71/5  rDev -12.5%

375 ml bottle. Large pop when opened. huge brown-tan head over a dark liquid. Smells fruity, bourbon, vanilla, clean alcohol, but not much raw oak character. Alcohol dries out the aroma. Chocolate step forward as the beer breaths and warms.

Tastes oaky emptiness over malt sweet and alcohol. Chocolate powder, like Nestle cocoa. Bourbon and mild fruitiness. Nice, but not overly complex. The alcohol and sweet conflict in comparable intensity. Md-light body and oaky dries out the finish. Decent drinkablility.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

2008 Release, received in trade from aromatorio and OldSock. Thanks a bunch for a chance to try these brews! Poured into my Duvel tulip

A: The cork comes off with a resounding pop and into my glass, this brew goes! Deep reddish brown with a gorgeous 3-finger latte-colored head. Plenty of lace too.

S: Deliciously complex. This one starts off with a moderate bourbon note with a solid oak note. The oak is fairly strong and makes me think it was rather fresh. Underneath lies a hint of vanilla and a complex malt profile with figs and prunes. There's a hint of tobacco too. Very, very good - very well balanced

T: Starts off a complex mixture of bourbon, oak, brown sugar, dried figs and apricots. Mildly tannic. Medium bodied but dries up incredibly on the finish with some alcohol heat.

M: Excellent - great carbonation and a wonderfully dry finish

D: I'm savoring this one immensely and for the ABV, I really have to hold myself back

**Edit 01 May 2010**

Drinking my last bottle of this batch (2008), and I have to say that it hasn't changed too much. Still very bourbon-forward up front with some vanilla and coconut working brilliantly with the tobacco and dark fruit. The booze has died down a touch, but good god, this is a brilliant beer! Bravo, Tomme!

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pours from a 350ml bottle, and man, it's a gusher. Even out of the fridge, it still flows freely from the bottle. A steady pour kept it under control, but still yielded three fingers of cream-colored, bubbly foam. Body is almost black, with no light coming through. Held up to a light, a hint of red is around the edge.

S: Lots of dark fruit in the nose, some wood, some vanilla, a shade of bourbon, bread and dough, even a hint of chocolate perhaps. Fantastic.

T: This brew is most certainly not overrated. The taste is incredibly complex. Dark fruits, big caramel malt, brown sugar, molasses, bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, and more all combine into a wonderful burst of flavor. I don't even know how to begin to describe it. Rich and strong, but delicious.

M: Smooth and viscous, with a bit of heat from the alcohol coming through.

D: While it is certainly not a session ale, it's a fantastic brew overall. Wish it was brewed more frequently and easier to get, but I'm just happy I got to try it once.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours from a 350ml with a MASSIVE cream head that I could not keep in check and a virtually black body - looks like a dark plum. The head just...keeps...growing... Surprised I didn't have a gusher on my hands. Getting fig above all else from the nose, backed up by brown sugar, a really rich caramel scent and the suggestion of bourbon ("might I recommed you have some bourbon in you beer, sir" it says). I reply that I would, and taking a drink, I'm quite pleased with my bourbon-rific concoction I've been served. Beyond that, there's almost too much to describe here - caramel, prune, fig, cracked black pepper, oak, chocholate, vanilla, some more bourbon, a little fusel burn ("is 'burn' a flavor... really?" it questions) and a caramel finish again on the end. Quite cyclical, which just begs one to continue the cycle. Might be too much oaky bitterness at warmer temps. This is rich as all get out, but the mouthfeel is surprisingly light - and that's a welcome thing. Were this even a touch more viscous, I think it might approach undrinkable. A sipper, a dessert beer, and even at this size sharing is mandatory, but delightful to drink. The taste bud overload of richie-richness is nigh overwhelming - teeters on the edge of being way too much ("why, I believe I could say the same of you" it opines) but buries the needle just before the line. Quite good, but some flaws here and there that distract from pure drinking enjoynment

...uh, and points deducted for it being sentient...

Big thanks to IntriqKen for the bottle

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Very good looking beer. Deep burgundy in color but oozed and poured with a monstrous head of tan chunky in nature that leaves a fluffy seperated lace in its path.

Dark bready malts with bourbon, cherry, fig, date, caramel, oxidation, wood, vanilla, and an earthy astringent almost ester on the ending. Spicey with even hints of pumpeknickel. Reminiscent of Adam in aroma.

Quite a tasty treat here. Huge with caramel and dried fruits, alcohol, date, fig, nuggat, breads, brown sugar, toffee, bourbon, oak, toasty vanilla, pecan, milk chocolate,smoke, burnt sugars, oxidation, dried cherry, marmalade, and on and on.

Unfortunately this is way to carbonated. Really hurting the mouthfeel as it causes the beer to seperate on the toungue on each sip almost discentigrating in nature. However I can live with that and could drink this all day.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

12.7oz bottle, caged and corked. The cage was quite brittle and broke when I began twisting it. Huge carbonation pop when I pulled the cork out.

Appearance: deep almost opaque brown, with light to medium brown head, maintains a light head, and leaves light to moderate lacing.

Aroma: some bourbon, some oak, some brown sugar, some prunes and fruit.

Taste: oak, leather, some cherries, prunes, and deep toasted sugar/brown sugar. Delicious, and right up my lane, but kind of... one dimensional. Strong raisin.

Mouth: the slick sugary notes continues into a long slick mouthfeel. Definitely warm, and slightly tingly.

Overall: delicious, and fun, and interesting. But worthy of the astonishing hype? I'm extremely happy to have had it, and I'd even stand in line for it if I was local. But A+ average? I think it's somewhat overhyped. It's not a true 5 in any category. Again, don't get me wrong: it's delicious -- really, really tasty. But mindblowing, A+, it is not.

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%

Many thanks to kinnaird for throwing this in as an EXTRA. Seriously thanks John.

After having some small one ounce samples before I was now able to split this one with my step-dad (who loves bourbon barrel beers) and enjoy it over a longer period of time.

Poured this one really cold out of the fridge to try and prevent any gushing. Its a very dark ruby brown with a slight half-inch, cream colored head that fades to a slight film that covers the top of the beer.

One of the best smelling bourbon beers I have ever had. The nose is dominated by smooth bourbon, vanilla, rich creamy caramels and oak with some chocolate and dark fruits.

Taste is really close to smell with just a really silky smooth bourbon flavor that is accented by tons of vanilla, oak, bittersweet chocolate and dark fruit. There is a little bit of alcohol burn on the after taste but it goes away after a bit and as it warms the sweet creamy caramel becomes an amazing addition to the flavor.

Its a little overcarbonated for this style of beer but its got a silky smooth mouthfeel otherwise.

An extremely drinkable and smooth big beer but ABV is still too high for a great score.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Truly a great beer. Have had this a number of times and figured I ought to actually put in a review.

Pours a thick, dark brown with a 2 finger tan head that is creamy and never fully dies (that, and the bottles really are over carbonated).

Smells of vanilla infused bourbon, sweet caramel/toffee and some funky dried fruits/dates. Nice.

The taste is quite similar to the smell. There is a healthy dose of vanilla bourbon that, while strong, lends itself nicely to this beer. The caramel/toffee sweetness is most definitely there in the form of a massive malt body to back up that bourbon (nice to see this after having had many bourbon beers where the malts just can't stand up to the bourbon). The alcohol is present, no question, most likely from the bourbon aging. This, however, is not an impediment with this beer. Dates and other similar candied fruit sort of flavors also float around in the background. Some oak presence. This beer just hits all the right spots.

Mouthfeel is very rich, overly carbonated at first (give it some time to settle and it is much more divine) and satisfying.

While this is a sipper for sure, I am always sad once my glass hits empty with a beer like this. As such, I cannot rate the drinkability any less than excellent.

Highly recommended. This is still a favorite beer of mine. With that said, here is how I rank the current Angel's Share editions:
06 Bourbon > 06 Brandy > 07 Bourbon > 07 Brandy
06 Bourbon was on tap for the Toronado BW fest and blew most everything else away. The other 3 I've had side by side a couple of times, and the ranking seems to stay the same. So yeah, a 4.5 average for this I think is about fair - the 06 Bourbon would score near a 5, the 06 Brandy probably a 4.7 or so, and the 07 Brandy probably a 4.3-4.4 or so. All fine beers though, no question.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

100th Review! It may have took a year and a half, but hey, I'm here aren't I?

A - Opened with a giant pop! Poured at fridge temp to avoid getting shot in the eye by the cork. 1 1/2 finger, tan head. Body is an opaque daaark brown in a 22 oz. snifter. Crazy lacing.

S - A little oak and a lot of bourbon (really?). Underlying hints of chocolate malts, yeasty undertones. Whiskey, caramel, alcohol. Smell's way better as it warms. Berries and dark fruits noted on the final sip

T - Fantastic chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, malty goodness. Alcohol heat not noticed until it's in your belly. Sweet finish. Faint mocha afterthoughts. Again, as it warms, specific tastes really shine through at different times.

M - A little lighter and sparkly than I'd like at first... the more it warms and dies down, the better it gets. Gets creamier with time. Still, a little too carbonated for what's going on here, in my opinion.

D - The price is about the only thing keeping me from sucking this one down. I'm really... really glad I have one left.

Notes: I drank one of these a month ago but was too buzzed to even taste it. One of those nights, y'know? My friend and even my girlfriend said it was good tho, so I figured I'd rock one for my 100th.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Decanted from the bottle into a snifter. Pours a dark color with a massive head. The head subsides quite a bit, leaving a thin layer of foam across the top. Aroma is intense. Big notes of vanilla, bourbon, plums, caramel, and alcohol. Taste starts with bourbon and vanilla, then transitions to caramel malts and plums, finally ending with a mild coffee-like bitterness. Damn there's a lot going on. Mouthfeel is right in the middle and quite creamy. This is a big beer and definitely a sipper. Overall I have zero criticism for this beer. It is excellent in general.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at the LA release party.

Poured a deep brown with a small off-white head.

The aroma was full of rich caramel malt, faint chocolate, brandy, oak, and subtle vanilla. Some alcohol was present.

The flavor of the beer had a rich caramel maltiness with notes of chocolate malt, appropriate for the style. It was well attenuated and didn't finish too sweet. It was well infused with prominent notes of brandy, vanilla, and oak, which added tremendous complexity. Some medium dried fruits came through in the palate as well.

The mouthfeel was medium-to-heavy, but not overly so. The body was full and creamy. The carbonation was delicate and dialed in just right.

A superb strong ale that exhibits a wonderful spirit barrel character. A great beer to enjoy over an hour's time. As it warms, more complexity shines through.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours black with some faint brown showing up around the edges when held up to the light. Great tight head that sticks around as a somewhat thick cap. Especially impressive given the huge abv. The aromas are heavenly. Just the right amount of Bourbon right off the bat. Lovely aromas of caramel, gentle but pure Bourbon, sweet oak, vanilla, gentle malt, chestnut honey, and various dark fruit, all nicely integrated and not hot smelling. The taste is also amazing. Extremely well integrated flavors with great Bourbon and oak up front followed by cream, vanilla, and fruit flavors. Very nice level of carbonation, not too aggressive at all. The mouthfeel is ultra rich and creamy, but with the alcohol well hidden. An absolutely amazing sipper. I really like bourbon influenced oak aged beers if they are done well. I think this is probably my favorite to date. When this brewery is firing on all cylinders, they can really be fantastic. This beer sure is.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Not nearly as good as the regular Angel's Share, in my opinion. Pours a dark cola color with light tan colored super fizzy head. Bottle gushed upon opening too. Smell is vanilla, raisin, bourbon and sweet malt. Taste is similar, but much more mild than the standard angel's share which was really rich and strongly flavored. The carbonation was way too high in this body and it just foamed in the mouth, which drives me nuts. Overcarbonated and underflavored.

3.37/5  rDev -20.5%

Brown color with a full head. Hard to get much out of the nose at all. Velvety mouth feel with a smooth texture. Not very complex overall, with out nuance or depth. It does have a nice hint of dried chocolate on the finish, but other than that, there isn't a lot of describable character. Good, solid ale. I have found these new versions of angels share beers to be just ok, both the latest batches are not as good as the original batch at GABF 2006.

I had this on tap at the release and this is my 4th bottle but just started reviewing beers now that I have some under my wing.

My absolute favorite beer so far so here it goes:

Poured into a chimay goblit. My first gusher bottle this time but was not too bad. Cork popped off very fast with a nice popping sound but then it gushed onto my counter. Had a thick head at first but reduced down in size and is a nice light tan color. The beer its self has a redish tint when held to the light but is black in color all together.

Smell is awesome. So complex. Dark fruits, Belgian quad, sweet malt and vanilla and a good burbon. Almost too many things and could probably smell it for an hour and come up with all sorts of ingrediance.

Taste is incredible. Figs, rasins, spices, sweet malt, vanilla, burbon, oak, all balanced together perfectly. Its amazing this is a beer. You almost have to focus your attention on a flavor to make it come out since it is balanced so well. Simply amazing.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice carbonation with smooth malts balance well in your mouth.

Drinkability is awesome. I could drink this always and several a day.

The tap version to me tasted a little more viscus and fruity wick I liked but both are amazing. Glad my dad recently have me a few more of his bottles so I can enjoy this a little more since I traded off half of mine. Can't wait untill the next release. Thanks Lost Abbey!

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

A-Pours with a huge (looks over carbonated) tan head on a dark amber/brown body. After first pour it seemed like it was just that one over carbonated and rest had a nice 1" head to it and left a nice lacing always covering the top.
S-Big bourbon and oak in the nose. Big sweet caramel and candied fruits. Bread comes through nicely too. Strong hint of vanilla also. Maybe just a touch of grass hops.
T- Follows the aroma. Hops do come through a lot more in the taste than they do on the aroma. Big dry oak barrels with bourbon and vanilla, then the warming of bourbon coming in later. Grass hops leave tongue dry with the help from the wood and breads. Nice balance of fruits in this also.
M- Medium to full body with low carbonation. Has a sticky feel to it and a very big nice warming from the alcohol.
D- I love it. It has been a long time since I have had the original Angel's Share which I'll compare it to tonight. It's nice to finally have another barley wine.

Edit: review comparison: Unlike the bourbon barrel the brandy heats up a lot stronger (even with more age on it). Not as smokey and woody character to it. Instead you have upfront brandy which hits your tongue very noticeable. Leaves a bigger bitterness as well IMO. Think I prefer the bourbon barrel just due to the more complex wood characters that come through along with the smokiness. I thought that balanced everything out and made it better "rounded" than the brandy does.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Lost Abbey is, without a doubt, my favorite brewery. This beer is one of the reasons why.

Pours a dark, dark brown with red highlights into a snifter. Thick, off-white two finger head fades fairly quickly, leaving a thin collar and spotty lacing. Sweet malts, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, and a bit of booze on the nose, with some spice and dark fruits in the mix as well. Chocolate hits the palate first, with the bourbon & vanilla quickly backing it up. The complexity of this stuff is unreal. Oak, fig & plum, spice, sherry, and a bit of alcohol all fade in & out with each sip. Magnificent. Coarse carbonation takes a bit away from the mouthfeel, but only slightly. Insanely drinkable. The 12% abv barely shows.

Believe the hype.

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%

But only an ounce or two lost as it is hastily decanted into a pair of Delerium Trements tulips.

This might be the most intensely, and awesome, aroma'd beer I've ever had. There's a booming bourbon note that blends smoothly into a warm, almost citrus hop aroma, melding with rich, toasted malts and gently simmering caramel. Exceptional doesn't really cover it. You can smell it from a mile away, and it's delicious. You lean in close, and it's not explosively boozy or rich, the nuances just unfold. Spectacular.

Aside from the slightly overmuch carbonation that booms and folds, it's a purdy looking rich amber brown.

Biiig vanilla sweeping through the middle before running into a tanniny bourbon ball. Just too strong on the bourbon. It tastes like some was poured into the glass. Could we get some unblended, fresh Angel's Share to be blended in a la Rodenbach? That would make for a spectacular beer. The oak and tannins are way too prevalent, none of the nuance and texture present in, say, Curieux. Cooked marshmallow and roasted and toasted malt notes bring together a phenomenal base for this beer this is overwhelmed by its barrel partner.

Too carbonated by half, maybe an entire volume. This should have a full, silky mouthfeel. And while it's smooth, there's a lively spritziness that is unnecessary, and really, just wrong.

Despite my qualms, the aroma keeps bringing me back. And the hint of something perfect underneath it all. Keep one for the cellar and see if the more extreme notes drop out in time, and look forward to next year to see if the barrel aging profile gets refined over time.

Unworthy of its place as one of the most perfect beers in the world... but conversely, very worthy of the hype as something interesting and spectacular in its own, roughly honed way.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Pours super dark brownish amber with a massive rocky 3 finger head that almost overflows the snifter. Retention and lacing are excellent.

S: Smell is wonderfully sweet with brown sugar and caramel. There is a definite boozy bourbon aroma as well but extremely well integrated with the sweetness of the malts. I actually also got the slightest hint of sour in the nose at the finish.

T: As much as I would like to "buck the hype", this is one of the best tasting beers I have ever tasted. It's wonderfully creamy with molasses and caramel up front with the bready malts. The bourbon is present but very subtle and plays with the sweet vanilla tastes and dark fruits. In a word, spectacular.

M: As mentioned before, for a bourbon barrel beer this one is incredibly smooth and creamy yet highly carbonated. The bubbles just tingle the tongue...so, so good.

D: This is my first Angel's Share and I have to say it's one of my desert island beers - near perfect. The flavors are so big yet so well balanced, the hype is completely deserved. I need more of this now...

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

HUGE thanks to Adam for sending me this one. Flat out phenomenal beer. Thank you.

Appearance: It pours a very dark mahogany color. There's a hint of red peaking around the edges. Carbonation is extremely active and yields a nearly four finger deep head that's mocha brown in color. It was extremely slow to dissipate and left an excellent coat of lace on the glass.

Smell: This is a very unique and excellent aroma. It's very malty and features a refined bourbon smell. The bourbon appears to be perfectly blended and the nose suggests it plays a more subtle, complementary role rather than simply overwhelming the other scents and flavors. This is my preference for the style and the aroma has created extremely high expectations. There are some light spicy notes as well as a distinct toffee aroma. It certainly has an oak/wood chip scent. Light vanilla and dark fruit round it out.

Taste: With the nose raising my expectations even further, the flavor delivers and then some. Wow! This is one hell of a fine tasting beer. It's malty and sweet up front. It has a unique toffee flavor that distinguishes it a little from other releases of this style. The bourbon flavor emerges and is a near carbon copy of the nose. It's extremely well blended and complementary in nature. Vanilla and light spice flavors really open it up. It's very complex and tasty. Oak, light dark fruit, and very faint roasted coffee flavors emerge on the tail. Finishes sweet with a slight alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied. Feels a little thinner than I prefer. This would be an absolute knockout if the feel were just a little smoother. It just lacks that ultra-creamy smooth feel that I was hoping for. Carbonation is high and active, but doesn't negate the feel. Drinkability is extremely high. At 12%, it's very strong. But, alcohol is barely noticeable and it's difficult to savor. It's just too damn tasty.

I had high expectations for this one and they've actually been exceeded. It's hard to find any fault in this beer. My one small criticism is that it needs to be a tad thicker and have the feel smoothed out a little. Nevertheless, Lost Abbey has crafted a world class beer with this one. You must find it...somehow, someway.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

This poured mahogany in color with a creamy head. The nose was nicely complex with scents of roasted malts, vanilla, chocolate, dark fruit and a slight herbalness. The palate is similarly complex and medium to full-bodied with great richness and balance. There is plenty of carbonation to keep this deep beer fresh. Aging should allow this to mellow out a bit and be potentially perfect for my palate.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

I had heard a lot of talk about this beer and was finally lucky enough to try it. Wasn't sure what to expect at first. The pour is dark brown with descent head. It has a lot of distinct flavors in the taste, however they are perfectly balanced so that no one is too strong. The taste is very rich. By far the best beer that I have ever had. Although not something that you could drink more than a couple of glasses of due to the rich flavor. If you can locate a bottle of this limited release, I would highly recommend it.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Big thanks to mikesgroove for this brew!

12.7oz. brown corked/caged bottle, poured into a snifter. '08

A: Huge pop from the cork, then some spillage. Pours a very deep brown, nearly black, completely opaque. A big ass head, at least 2 1/2 fingers in the snifter, holds very nicely. Tons of sticky lacing.

S: Tons of bourbon. Lots of caramel and buttery toasted nuts. Little hints of vanilla and some spices. Alcohol is present and pleasant.

T/M: Alcohol is much more potent in the taste, maybe a little sting and a huge warmth all the way down and lasting in the belly. More of the same from the nose but with some milky chocolate and syrupy molasses. The bourbon is delicious. Has a bit of yeast... actually a bit like a Belgian yeast. Carbonation reminds me of a Belgian, too.

D: Very slow sipper. It's in a 12.7oz bottle for a reason. Damn tasty and will cap my night, nicely.

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey