The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
Reviews: 660 | Hads: 1,686
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

2010 Vintage poured into my Deschutes Sniffer glass

A: Poured virtually black, very little light coming through unless you hold up to the light. Not head, only a few bubbles evident.

S: Vanilla and Caramel jump right out followed by the alcohol. Then some fruitiness comes in to balance out the full fragrance.

T: Taste flat, the alcohol on this is very evident. I don't know if more aging would help but it taste a little hot to me. The Vanilla and Caramel are right there followed by some fruit, maybe figs or dates.

M: Strong alcohol is overpowering everything.

O: A little disappointed. Had the Brandy version a while back and I was very pleased. I hope this will mellow some with age. The flavors are there it is just not the right time yet to consume. (763 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14%

I was lucky to get this one in seattle after finagling.

Look, Very dark brown with a beautiful head retention.

Smell, The smell was like carmel and bourbon with a little hop presence.

Taste , was Bourbon up front followed by hop bitterness then a malt backbone. This was the best breakfast ive had for quiet some time.

Had a little burnt brown shards in the bottom of my glass. This was extemly drinkable and is worth all the hype surrounding it. I WANT MORE! (464 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a mini snifter three ways.

A: Wow! Carbonation ahoy! Go Lost Abbey! Slightly see-through black with brown around the edges.

S: Sweet vanilla with oaky bourbon and malty goodness. Chocolate notes follow behind a slight alcohol burn to the nostrils.

T: Brown sugar, dark molasses, vanilla coffee beans, a mix of bitter and milk chocolate, strong bourbon notes, restrained sweetness.

M: Long and lingering oaky vanilla aftertaste. Medium-low carbonation. Mouthfeel is full.

O: This is a fantastic ale, and although it's quite a bit pricey, it's worth at least a try or two. Would love to buy more to put away for a couple years. (642 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a snifter from a 12.7 oz bottle. This is one I've been waiting for - one of the first beers I looked for when I first got into good brews. 2010 vintage.

A - Dark brown with red rims when put up to the light. A rough poor yields a thin head that quickly fades and gives rise to a ring of bubbles that lines the rim of my Westvleteren snifter for the duration of the drink.

S - Bourbon, vanilla, caramel, oak, booze. Wonderful smelling beer - far better than I was expecting.

T - Sweet, vanilla bourbon up front with dark fruits and charred malts bringing up the rear. Again, better than I expected.

M - Excellent mouthfeel. Thick and sticky with just the right amount of carbonation.

D - This is a hot one. I chose to tackle this small bottle on my own, and it might not have been the best idea.

All in all, this is an excellent beer. From my year or so of being on BA, I've noticed that this beer is one of the most heavily scrutinized beers (along with Dark Lord) on this site. Yes, it's expensive, yes, it's really hot, and yes, there isn't a ton of carbonation. However, it is an excellent beer - one that every BA should seek out if given the opportunity to try some.

Given the price tag, this isn't a beer I will be drinking again in the near future; however, given the right occasion, I will definitely try some again. In fact, I'm anxious to get my hands on the brandy aged and grand cru as well. (1,429 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +16.2%

Poored into a flute from the Tap.

A - Dark dark brown, with a small head. No lacing to be seen.

S - Bourbon Bourbon Bourbon. Hints of oak, vanilla, raisins, molasses and caramel. The smell was overwhelming at first, I must have been smelling for at least 10 minutes before even thinking of having a taste.

T - Bourbon Bourbon Bourbon. So smooth. For 12% acohol, the alcohol taste was not overwhelming, but was very evident. It's hard to describe all that is going on with this, fruitiness in the form of raisins and plums, sweetness of caramel and toffee, coffee in the mix.

M - Crisp clean and smooth, the palate was addicted on the first sip. This beer just feels like heaven in your mouth.

D - SO drinkable. The beer is one of the best I have had and I am lucky to have had it. I'm glad I asked what the unmarked Lost Abbey tap was. Because the bar that shall go nameless, was not advertising they had it. (916 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

An exceptional beer. Poured for me at Cannery Row Brewing Company in Monterey, CA. Great selection there btw. Super smooth beer hitting all the right spots for me. Boozy without be I g overbearing. Has the heat but easy to drink. Definitely a top 5 for me. If you see it I suggest you grab as much as you can carry. (316 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Enjoyed on-tap at the brewery during the release. Came pre-poured, so the head was already settled into a tan ring. Deep, dark brown and opaque. The smell is dominated by the bourbon and oak. The flavor is similarly dominated, but also malty and sweet. Very creamy mouthfeel and goes down smooth despite the high alcohol.

I really want to try this head-to-head with the last release to see how they compare. I think the bourbon barrel version is less subtle and complex, but equally delicious. (495 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a snifter at room temperature.
A - Poured a medium brown color with minimal head which quickly disappeared leaving minimal lacing.
S - Has a very pleasant smell. Bourbon, alcohol, dark fruit and plenty of medium roast malt.
T - Carmel, dark fruit and bourbon and a long lasting alcohol finish.
M - A little on the light side for mouthfeel. Low on carbonation.
O - I have wanted to try this for a while. It has a very nice smell and flavor. It is a little pricey given all the other high end BA ales out there. It's worth trying once but I would stock up on Fremont or Firestone Walker for cellaring. (616 characters)

A- Dark with deep amber highlights when held to the light. Tan head dissipates to a thin layer. Nice lacing on the glass.

S- Oh god, this is good- rich and complex. Pit fruit (plum?), vanilla, light oak, hints of bourbon. Luscious.

T- Malty, rich and complex. I get bourbon, vanilla, hints of cherry, fig and oak. Big, bold and amazing.

M- Rich throughout the mouth, not too thick, not too thin- just right for a beer like this. Pleasant alcohol warming in the finish.

D- Well, this is perhaps my most favorite beer, ever. I would drink this daily if I had the stores. Absolutely amazing stuff. Definitely a bit of heaven. (626 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

12.7 oz bottle Poured into a tulip glass.

Massive initial head aided by an unsteady, strong pour (oops). Dark as night. Beautiful bubbles in the head, lots of carbonation visible through the glass.

Raisin in the nose, perhaps? Nothing too dominant, but I can tell it's gonna be sweet. Taste very similar/trademark something about it to everything else I've had from Lost Abbey.

Chocolate. Alcohol. Super carbonated, not affecting mouthfeel but I can just see the bubbles bursting through the head. A hint of vanilla.

Creamy as it warms up (as opposed to watery or syrupy/gooey).

I'm really enjoying this, the overall flavor trumps whatever individual notes I'm picking up. Not a flavor I'd usually enjoy either, but the texture, the aroma, the flavors are working in combo really well. Well worth the raves it draws.

The one setback is, and maybe its just my own taste, I'm not getting a lot of the oak/bourbon in here. Maybe it's the sweetness (and I like bourbon because of its sweetness) in this that reveals the bourbon character, but I don't know.

Can't complain, I recommend this to anyone, its more of a sit at home and drink beer than a bar beer, if that makes sense. Grab a book, have some cheese or chocolate nearby, sit in a comfy chair, and relax type beer. (1,276 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15%

Snow day. Bourbon barrel aged beer with cork and cage. It's gotta be good right?!

Pours a murky dark mahogany with a thin rim of a head

The nose is heavy on brandy, vanilla, plums, raisins, chocolate, and oak.

The taste follows the nose. Very sweet. Vanilla, chocolate, and dark fruits. Alcohol warmth hits you in the chest in a nice way.

Super creamy and smooth. Light/medium carbonation, very easy drinking.

This beer is easily worth large price tag. (460 characters)

Sampled at the West Coast Barrel Aged Beer Fest in Hayward, CA.

2006 vintage. Poured dark brown with yellow/orange highlights. Aroma mostly of bourbon and toffee, with a tiny hint of alcohol.

Aroma carries through in flavor dominated by bourbon, vanilla, toffee and caramel, with an underlying belgin ester quality. Creamy mouthfeel.

Damn good stuff for sure, and glad I got to try it so I know for certain this is wildly overpriced and not something I would purchase on its own. Not nearly as complex as I would have expected, came across as less intersting than other barrel aged ales I've encountered, such as Firestone 11 and a handful of others sampled at the same event. Good stuff again, but the wife and I agreed that for something with such hype and inflated pricing, it's a bit mundane. (800 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours from a 350ml with a MASSIVE cream head that I could not keep in check and a virtually black body - looks like a dark plum. The head just...keeps...growing... Surprised I didn't have a gusher on my hands. Getting fig above all else from the nose, backed up by brown sugar, a really rich caramel scent and the suggestion of bourbon ("might I recommed you have some bourbon in you beer, sir" it says). I reply that I would, and taking a drink, I'm quite pleased with my bourbon-rific concoction I've been served. Beyond that, there's almost too much to describe here - caramel, prune, fig, cracked black pepper, oak, chocholate, vanilla, some more bourbon, a little fusel burn ("is 'burn' a flavor... really?" it questions) and a caramel finish again on the end. Quite cyclical, which just begs one to continue the cycle. Might be too much oaky bitterness at warmer temps. This is rich as all get out, but the mouthfeel is surprisingly light - and that's a welcome thing. Were this even a touch more viscous, I think it might approach undrinkable. A sipper, a dessert beer, and even at this size sharing is mandatory, but delightful to drink. The taste bud overload of richie-richness is nigh overwhelming - teeters on the edge of being way too much ("why, I believe I could say the same of you" it opines) but buries the needle just before the line. Quite good, but some flaws here and there that distract from pure drinking enjoynment

...uh, and points deducted for it being sentient...

Big thanks to IntriqKen for the bottle (1,532 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Tried this on draft in a small snifter. Dark brown/black with minimal foam. The smell is great. Malt, chocolate, caramel and huge burbon. It almost jumps out of the glass at you. The taste is similarly great. The burbon is up front along with coffee, chocolate and caramel. The alcohol while not overpowering is present. Great beer with tons on flavor. (352 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Wow... What a disappointment. After having this on tap a few months ago and enjoying it, I decided to buy a bottle. I ignored beerandraiderfan's warning and bought my 14.99 - 12.7 oz. bottle. To his exact description... No carbonation. I mean none. I thought this was only similar in the aroma. Sweet, bourbon, caramel. The taste was off. Some kind of acrid, sour flavor. So disappointed in the bottle version. Just for the record... On tap is 10x the beer. Poor bottling. (472 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Bottle

Dark syrupy brown, small tan head, looks intense.

So much going on her...Big bourbon smell, brown sugar, vanilla, figs, smokey rasins and a small amount of funk. The taste is increadable...so complex, everything from rasins soaked in bourbon, oak, vanilla beans, maple syrup, dark fruit and wet hay, the alcohol is very well balanced with the rest of the components of this beer. Slick mouthfeel, super smooth. Very drinkable but it sneaks up on you. (459 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured into a tulip

Pours a dark brown color with watery edges. Looks a little syrupy. Absolutely no head or carbonation to speak of. You can see the alcohol in the form of legs around the sides of the glass.

Smells like a lot of cheap vanilla and malt. Like a port. Chocolate and alcohol (harsh). Some darker fruits like figs and raisins. Whisky.

Taste comes in smooth and syrupy. Tastes like bourbon. A lot of caramel and vanilla. With no carbonation this reminds me of Utopias. Like a not so great port, very muddy. As far as placing it in the beer catergory its not so bad. Could use a little more time. (610 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1%

2010 bottle poured into DFH goblet

A- very disappointing. An ever so faint pop from the cork, not a good sign. Pour is a deep ruddy, black, thick, and murky color with almost no carbonation.

S- monster whiff of grapey, sherry-like alcohol. if you really look for it, a touch of bourbon and oak, but it has really faded over time. Gooey, fudgy caramel; rum soaked dark cherries.

T&M- peppery alcohol is still strong. Chocolate cake like consistency. Shockingly, this is actually carbed up pretty decently- considering the alternative of zero bubbles which I've gotten with this beer before. Oh so slight...but it is there, and the very, very fine carbonation actually manages to lend to the rich and decadent mouthfeel; still it needs a step up. it gets even better as it warms. Dark fruits really present themselves and start to shine and flex next to the huge alcohol notes. While the spicy alcohol is big, it's really not at all overwhelming at this point. Vanilla and bourbon also vie for the stage as it warms. Rum soaked dark cherries appear again this time covered in dark chocolate.

O- rich and decadent is how I would describe this, but it's just missing an extra dimension that would send this beer into the stratosphere. I had this on tap and it was amazing, this doesn't quite measure up. (1,303 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to tayner for this botltle from her winning box the first ever TIF. Shared with BA rbuckstar, half of a 375 poured into a DFH oversized wine glass. Two twists of the cage and the cork almost went through the ceiling with the biggest bang I've heard from a bottle of beer.

A - Deep, reddish brown with an uneven, three finger tan head.

S - Smooth bourbon, with loads of vanilla and oak.

T - Malty and sweet, with just a little too much bourbon for my tastes.

M - Very nice on the tongue, with just the right amount of carbonation (after it was all released on opening).

D - It's a great, well put together, complex beer, but it almost seems futile to rate the drinkability of such a rare beer. (704 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Yes this was third course 09 BGBBD @ sierra, just sick to know that it was the bourbon instead of the brandy. So dark and happy, I've had the bourbon in bottle before and loved it and this was no exception. Poured dark with little head. Aromas were huge so much vanilla like I remembered it and thank god I got a snifter of this at the end. Went down too smooth and easy. I could care less about carb issues, this was almost complete and for me was up there with BBVD, BA Boris and Nor'easter Cl for best bourbon brews. (519 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Wow, all I can say about this brew is GET IT. I have had 1000's of different brews before this whole rating thing ever even came about. I seldom take the time to sit down and write a review but this one is totally worthy.It's all here the smell, the taste, the appearance, the bottling, this is the holy grail of brews.
I'm a big fan of bourbon aged beers, oak aged beers, and those beers that just seem to bring a little something extra to the table. This beer totally runs the gauntlet. Popping the cork on this bad boy and pouring it I knew I was in for something special. Then you put it to your nose. All I could say was WOW! If this taste as good as it smells, sweet oak aged vanilla, bourbon, Belgian Candi sugar..Then.. the taste Smooth beyond all belief, alcohol was very well hidden basically because my palette was busy moshing over all the flavors of vanilla, oak, and bourbon and sugars that were to be what I expected from the nose. It did not let up! Holy Moses sweet fathers of the brewing Gods. I have seen the light and it beem through a bottle of Bourbon Barrel Aged Lost Abbey Angel's Share! (1,112 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

This is a really enjoyable bourbon stout. I was able to taste a vertical of 10' and 11' on draft. They were similar, however the 10' was much smoother with the bourbon taste having subsided a little making it slightly more enjoyable then the 11'. Both were tasty, however I liked the 10' better.

Both poured a pitch black with no head.

The noses were similar too. Bourbon, bourbon, and more bourbon. Traces of vanilla, but it is hard picking up anything other then bourbon.

When it comes to taste, the differences are very subtle. In the 10' the bourbon is immediate, but it does allow the vanilla and chocolate. Finishes strong. The 11' is pretty much all bourbon from start to finish. (689 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured a very dark and cloudy blackish brown with no head at all. The carbonation is very low, but gives a pleasant mouthfeel to a very thick brew.

The smell is strongly of raisins and fig. I can tell it is sweet even before drinking it because the dried fruitiness of the aroma is so strong. I can also smell the oak of the bourbon barrels and a bit of the bourbon.

The taste is slightly hot with alcohol (kind of like drinking actual bourbon). The beer is indeed very sweet.

The mouthfeel is soft since there is so little carbonation.

The drinkability is good. The beer is fairly smooth but a little sweet to drink entirely in one sitting without something to cleanse the palate. (686 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10%

350 ml bottle from a trade with ralflord. Chilled down to try reduce the chance of a gusher but to no avail. Almost took my head off and my cat ran cover. Quickly poured into Duvel tulip glass. Left almost four inches of soapy brown head that retreated very slowly. Dark ruby in color. Lovely webbing and lace stayed through the whole experience. Smells of vanilla and sweet candy.

Taste: Simply amamzing. Extremely complex notes of vanilla, bourbon, oak and sweet figs. Twinge of hops in the background but the sweetness and oak overpowers and is an amazing show stopper. The alcohol is present, but not harsh - wamrs the core. Body is slick and smooth with a medium-dry finish. I thought the carbonation would detract from this brew but adds to complexity instead.

Drinkability is somewhat average due to gusher and high alcohol but since it is so dang smooth I want another. My bottle went way to quick and will be seeking out more. (937 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

(review of the draft version during the Bottle Release in 2008)
I went to the Bourbon Barrel release and was fortunate enough to be able to sample it in line - 3 times. Absolutely a stunning beer from first to last taste.

Glass arrived with a faint head on it with the brew a strikingly dark crimson approaching black. The bourbon nose was bold but not near overpowering.

Flavors of malt, vanilla, chocolate, with hints of molasses, bourbon, and toffee. The tastes don't linger too long, so there is no overpowering buildup. Moderate carbonation helps to cleanse the palate. Somewhat hot, much smoother than the Brandy version. A fantastic, world class beer. (662 characters)

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey