The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Old Ale aged in bourbon barrels for 12 months.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Alström Bros

patm1986, Nov 15, 2011

Budinetz, Jan 16, 2013

nygannon, Aug 03, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 bottling poured into a (proper) Lost Abbey Teku. The pour is very dark, but clear with ruby-red highlights. There is little to no carbonation (certainly not a good sign), but the nose is pretty nice. Lots of dark fruits, alcohol, toffee, and a hint of butterscotch.

Very full body, a sweet flavor profile, and an uber-creamy feel. I expected a hot, boozy mess, but 3 years in my cellar has tamed this monster and showed it who's boss. Lots of sweet, malty, toffee-like notes up front followed up by a mild alcohol warmth accented by some vanilla and chocolate notes. Unfortunately, I don't get much of the bourbon (other than the vanilla), but that's the price you pay for aging beers. Still, I have no regrets. As it is, it's drinking like a liquid Heath bar - full of sweet, syrupy vanilla and marshmallow-like goodness.

I found it interesting how many BAs said this beer (when fresh) was too hot and boozy. Let it be known - this beast has been tamed! It is now a warm, cuddly lap dog in your glass. It licks your face, fetches your slippers, and cowers when you raise your voice. I rank this ahead of Insanity but noticeably behind Bourbon County Brand Barleywine.

deadonhisfeet, Jan 19, 2014

kodt, Oct 12, 2013
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to Adam @ Platinum.

Have been eagerly anticipating this one as for my money Lost Abbey make some godlike stuff.

...And it's carbed. Thin half-head, but it's there. Dark, dark black (not the "burgundy coloured" beer claimed on the label). Good lacing. Head can be enhanced with some intense swirling also, at least initially.

Rich aromas of bourbon, muscatels, burnt tyres, rich rich cream desserts. An earthiness. Chocolate/ vanilla. Rich stuff.

Taste is massive muscatels and port. Very porty. Lots of chocolate and vanilla; and alcohol but it's never unwelcome. Huge chocolate port flavours in this. Fig. Mix of nutty, grapey flavours.

Mouthfeel is silky and a bit hot; really dry beer actually. The sugar is comprehensively hidden by alcohol.

Overall a superb, very rich beer. Big sipper.

danieelol, May 27, 2012

Hendrick24, May 18, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2011 Vintage.
appearance: Dark dark brown. Nearly opaque save for some ruby highlights around the edges when held to light. Nearly no head.
smell: bourbon and rich decadence. Chocolate, vanilla, coconut, just a depth of rich aromas.
taste: More of the same. surprisingly smooth given the strength and depth of flavor.
overall: Would that I could drink an uninfected one of these each week. awesome. I can't forget that I've had 3 infected as well as an infected Deliverance. Still a great beer but makes me think twice before springing for another.
(To be fair, LA sent me some fantastic glassware when I reported the infected brews).

cindyjeffsmith, Jun 09, 2013

ironchefmiyagi13, Jul 22, 2013

wiltznucs, Dec 09, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer pours a very dark brown color, with a brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving a good lacing.

This beer smells of whiskey. It has a nice oak aroma as well as some mild vanilla. I smell some dark fruit. Some raisins, prunes, and figs. I can smell some sweet, carmel malts also. Also, the alcohol is present in the nose.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Whiskey up front, with some oak, and vanilla. It tastes sweet,with some fruity notes of fig, prunes, and raisins. The alcohol is present in the flavor also.

This very full bodied beer, goes down surprisingly smooth, leaving a whiskey like aftertaste. This beer is low in carbonation, suiting the style well. The alcohol warms the throat as it goes down.

This beer is probably not the best session beer. It has an aggressive flavor, and it is high in alcohol. Also, its price and availabality get in the way.

Overall: Thanks to oodeftone for hooking me up. Without you, I wouldnt have ever had the chance. This beer is great. I would drink it all the time if I could. Another great beer from Port.

OStrungT, Nov 27, 2007

scottwurst, Jul 25, 2014
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Reviewed from my notes. My glass comes to me filled with an opaque black liquid and a tiny bit of foam on top. The aroma has some very appealing sweet vanilla and bourbon aspects. Vanilla is also the first thing I taste with this beer. Some syrupy sweetness is also present. A touch of coffee bitterness as I swallow. A touch of powdered chocolate in the aftertaste. Bourbon flavors are present throughout. As legend tells us, this is a full bodied beer that is nearly flat. It leaves a filmy coat in my mouth. It drinks well--none of the flavors are too overpowering. The high alcohol will do a number on me (on glass is enough), but it is enjoyable nevertheless.

ToasterChef, Jan 27, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The infamous 2009 angels share. Let this warm before opening and did manage a slight pop as the cork was removed.

The pour though I could tell was of a stll liquid. Minimal carbonation. The thinnest rim of bubbles around the edge of the glass and a light swirl of tan bubbles when swirling the glass. The beer itself is near enough to black in this dimly lit room. Interesting black sludge around the bottom edges of the bottle.

Insane aroma. Heavy doses of oak, vanilla and molasses. I mean room filling this smells so strong. Bourbon wafts through in the background. Amazing that the alcohol heat, which is easily noticeable, doesn't burn the hairs in my nose. Usually I don't like beers to have that much alcohol presence in the smell but this has quite a nice accompaniment to it.

Wow. Two sips and I'm feeling buzzed already. This is gonna be a struggle.
Quite a lot of bourbon character. Some oak and vanilla again but this time taking a back seat to the bourbon. Sweet molasses and heavy syrupy mouthfeel. Tough to judge mouthfeel actually cause I think carbonated it would be quite nice. As it is it's quite heavy and a bit sweet. Added to that, the alcohol makes it harder to get down.

Incredible beer but finishing is a struggle. Now I know why it says to share on the back label. Pity I'm not more of a spirits fan cause aside from that, the beer has a nice velvety, oatmeal body and smooth character. Now that I think of it, blend this with some mild oatmeal stout and it could be a winner. Give it five years and some carbonation and who knows.

joecast, Apr 26, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Angel's Share is a quite nice barrel-aged strong ale. Still... it could have been much better. I had this later in the night so I was a bit drunk. My notes aren't the best as a result.

A: Dark black with noticeable sediment and particles floating around. 3.5

S: Sweet malty. Barnyard. 3

T: Malty with some bourbon barrel. Sharp Bourbon-alcohol. yum. 4

M: Foamy. 4.

O. 4.

vandemonian, Sep 13, 2012

AlexChillton, Jul 12, 2012

Poured into a 20 oz Duvel tulip, bottled in 2011. Pours a really dark mahogany, with just a ring of lacing, with even the most aggressive pour. That ring has amazing retention. Smell is bourbon, burnt brown sugar, fig, molasses, prunes, and vanilla. Taste is so crazy complex. Everything I got from the nose, but so balanced, except a pungent bourbon and vanilla flavor that grabs you by the short hairs and makes you crave the next sip. Body is medium, not much carbonation, a dry finish, and a very drinkable sipper. This is so special now, I need to find out what a few more years will do.

SawDog505, Apr 15, 2012

drgonzo2k2, May 20, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer, along with it's Brandy aged cousin have caught a lot of flack for carbonation issues on this site, so lets see how this year's version came out. The cork comes out with a light pop, better than none I suppose, and pours out a deep, dark brown, with just lacing as far as heading is concerned. My first thought is that while there may not be a whole lot of carbonation, at least there is some. Anyway, nose is amazing, with huge bourbon characters, chocolate, caramel, brown sugar and dark fruit. Bourbon, caramel and molasses dominate the taste, with tiny hints of earth as well. Mouthfeel is thick and boozy, but curbed at the same time by the carbonation that is there. This is not really a bad thing in my opinion, as this beer acts more like a spirit than most others, and deserves to be sipped and savored. Drinking this beer is a wonderful experience, but I warn you to take it slow, as it has kicked my ass on more than one occasion when having it out at a bar. Final thoughts are that despite all the criticism of Lost Abbey for the carbonation thing on last years brandy and bourbon batches, this beer is literally unlike any other. Even with zero fizz, this beer is a wonder to drink. Would I like some more carbonation? Yes, for sure, but it is still one of the most interesting and complex beers on the general market right now IMO. Now all I need to do is try the Grand Cru version of this brew, and I am good to go. Cheers

jamie2dope, Apr 29, 2010

jarrgal, Jun 10, 2013

alysmith4, Mar 12, 2013

marct, Feb 22, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On cask at the brewery. Aroma perks forth with suave, sleek grandeur enticing in so many fruits, rich nuttiness and bold gout-inducing richness. Sprightly. Out of the hand engine, the beer comes as a ruddy hued mahogany, clouded with a fine, silky smooth cream head in tobacco tinted cloud. Flavor is redolent with extravagant creamed malts, mature sugar density and a whole pantheon of nuts, fruits, chocolate, nips of tobacco and fragrant plums. Texture completely sublime, the cask presentation heightening the sickening drinkability of a beer so hefty. The bourbon smoothes corners, draws deep breaths of moist woodiness and clean nut-dry parching quality. More rounded and deep than the Brandy-barrel version and it shows. I really didn’t think this beer could get any better.

CharlesDarwin, Jul 23, 2007