The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Old Ale aged in bourbon barrels for 12 months.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Alström Bros
BeerOnTheWall

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: This beer pours dark brownish black (almost a mahogany tint to it). Very little head or carbonation...what head there is, is slight and dissipates quickly. Little to no lacing left on the glass.

Smell: WOW! Bourbon, chocolate, some dried dark fruit...raisin, noticeable oak in the background.

Taste: Man's Beer! At 12.5% abv. and aged in bourbon barrels you can definitely taste the alcohol burn. Again some raisin and oak...but mostly dark malt and bourbon is what I am getting from this.

Mouthfeel / Body: Considering all that's going on with this beer, the mouthfeel on this is fairly clean. Light to medium body, again...very little carbonation. Coats your pallet quickly and then clears away leaving the heavier flavors behind.

Drinkability: This beer is very drinkable...for some beer drinkers. Not for the faint of heart...will probably do better with some more age in the bottle.

06-10-2010 22:26:12 | More by BeerOnTheWall
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I tried the Bourbon, Brandy, and Grand Cru side by side. This was the best of the three. It had the best carbonation, the best barrel flavor, great background. Awesome beer.

The appearance on this one is darker than expected. A really dark brown color with lighter edges. There is a light tan head that does not stick around, but that was expected. Thick oily legs, great viscosity.

The smell is amazing. Bourbon, vanilla, candy sugar, brown sugar, plums, booze.

This beer has a lot of barrel flavor, and it pushes everything through. Vanilla, chocolate, booze, wood & grain, all great flavors that meld very well. Delicious.

The mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated, up front barrel flavor, great body. This beer is impressive. Great after dinner beer.
J

06-08-2010 06:46:16 | More by Jmoore50
Arbitrator

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

2010 release on tap a couple of times at the Rose & Crown, once at Gourmet Haus Staudt since my girlfriend wanted to try it.

A: Pours a very dark maroon body. There is some light penetration at the edges. A small half-finger of light beige foam caps the beer, breaking into thin islands of scattered film within a minute. No lacing.

S: Great aroma, though it's more bourbon-forward than last year's. Lots of caramel/bourbon, vanilla, oak. After some agitation and sniffing I can finally make out other aspects that are overwhelmed by the barrel: raisins, caramel, chocolate. A sting of booze. Too barrel-dominated to merit a stronger rating.

T: Bourbon dominates. Vanilla and oak are also quite strong. The barrel really took over on this flavor. I eventually pick out raisins, dates, and chocolate. Bourbon and vanilla resurgence in the finish. Quite solid, though it definitely appeals to people who enjoy bourbon bombs.

M: Medium-full bodied. It has quite a bit of heat from the barrel dominance. Good carbonation levels, good coating.

D: This beer just isn't for me. It's over-barreled and isn't worth the cost. I gave it enough tries, you all can have my share.

06-06-2010 17:23:25 | More by Arbitrator
DeanMoriarty

2.63/5  rDev -38.3%

Wow - not what I expected at all. Maybe too sophisticated for my palate.

A: Deep deep brown, almost black and no head but a solid lace from start to finish.

S: Like sherry or brandy. Sweet fermented molasses, raisins - real similar to a port. Funky (not in a good way) and strong smell of liquor.

T: Fermented fruit, brandy-like and just not right. Strong liquor flavor that is overwhelming.

M: No carbonation at all - flat and weird.

D: Rough. Couldn't finish it.

06-05-2010 05:43:11 | More by DeanMoriarty
largadeer

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft at Gourmet Haus Staudt.

The beer flows from the tap with the color and viscosity of maple syrup. A two finger head tops it initially, which settles to a frothy collar. Swirling the beer coats the glass in oily legs and revives the head to a small cap.

It has an intense aroma, rich and alcoholic. Caramelized malts and bourbon lie at the forefront, but it exhibits notes of vanilla and oatmeal raisin cookie, earth and oak, vinous fruits; it's hard to pull the nose away and take a sip. Sharp alcohol is evident as well, stinging the nostrils with each whiff.

Caramel flavors almost overwhelm the tongue initially. It's hot, boozy, rich, sweet, absolutely decadent and delicious. Full-bodied, nearly syrupy on the palate, somehow this is immensely drinkable. Strong tannins dry the palate, and so does the sharp alcohol, balancing the initial richness. It finishes almost dry, with lingering flavors of oak, leather, pipe tobacco and just a bit of lingering toffee. Such an outstanding beer, it's hard to put down despite the high alcohol and intense character.

06-03-2010 05:06:57 | More by largadeer
boomer31

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

My first review in too long...time to get back to it. First I must premise this review with a disclaimer, I've been wanting to try this beer since I became a BA 2 years ago, thanks mikesgroove!!!

A: a little pop after the cork came out, more than what I expected to hear from prior reviews but less than I wanted. Deep mahogany color with no head

S: sweet bourbon and dark fruits. Sweeter smell than anticipated

T: similar to the smell, sweet bourbon and dark fruits. Caramel malts and almost no alcohol burn for a 12%+ ABV. Really nice overall, one of the better BA beers I've had even with no carbonation this was a great one to taste.

M: Smooth and almost viscous as it warms. The small amount of carbonation does not hinder the taste one bit...dare I say that it works?!?

D: at 12%+ this works very well for a sipper after dinner. The sweetness is enhanced as it warms but an overall ve3ry nice beer.

Very happy to try this beer. One of the better barrel aged beers I've had and did not disappoint after a couple years of waiting. Definately looking to score a few more of these.

06-02-2010 01:13:06 | More by boomer31
AgentZero

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Poured agressively, but only resulted in some bubbles that disappeared pretty much immediately, no head to speak of on this. No lacing on the sides. Dark brown/mohagany color, that was decent looking but not much else.

S - Dark fruits, particularly raisins, definate bourbon on the nose, nice wood, vanilla, and a bit of cocoa. Lot of caramel malts.

T - Taste is pretty much in line with the smell, this is definately the best part of the beer. Bourbon is big, but not overly hot, the oak gives it a very nice vanilla and coconut flavor. Caramel/toffee malts and a little bit of carob like cocoa taste. Quite complex and good.

M - Flat and non-carbonated, heavy end of medium bodied.

D - Little heavy, and the high alcohol and flatness makes this one slightly more average than drinkable. It's not super easy, but it's relatively easy considering the beer.

06-01-2010 02:19:45 | More by AgentZero
froghop

Washington

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

pours a dark brown with a very little khaki head, and good lacing.

smell is of bourbon, wood, alcohol, and dark fruit.

taste is strong alcohol, cocoa, and dark fruit, ends with a potent alcohol taste and somewhat dry.

overall a good american strong ale but a little too strong with the alcohol.

05-29-2010 23:29:07 | More by froghop
TheFightfan1

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Damn I ever so glad I picked this one up. Purchased from Isaac Newton's in Newtown.

Poured into a snifter. Pours an almost opague black color but held to the light there are some lighter notes around the edges of the glass. Really no retention,heading any of that.(Something tells me I will be sipping this very lightly)

Smell is of whiskey immediately as the cork was popped. As the Angel's share liquid is carefully poured into my snifter. I get even more heavy notes of bourbon. To settle thing's out a bit from this heavy booze are the caramel malts in full force to take over the show ( just for a little while)

Taste is simply amazing.Ridiculously heavy in chocolate and a sweeter caramel taste which is quickly knocked down by the hot boozy bourbon. Which completely numbs the mouth and leaves a somewhat spicey, vanilla like stuck in the tastebuds.

Leaves the mouth numb and watering for more. There really is no crisp carbonation as this is just like drinking straight bourbon with malt. LEaves a slight vanilla extract'esk slipperiness in the mouth.

A great beverage indeed I am so happy I picked this one up.

05-29-2010 16:56:46 | More by TheFightfan1
sarahrules

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Where to begin...
The aroma hits you in the face the second you pop the cork. It is thick and viscous with an amazingly smooth mouth feel. The complexity of flavor is unlike any other beer I've had lately. So much depth and many layers. Lots of dried strawberry in the nose and an unusual likeness to tiramisu. An ever changing flavor explosion. Very unique and exciting beer. I found myself sipping on it just to relish the layers of flavor.

05-27-2010 05:05:32 | More by sarahrules
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.43/5  rDev +4%

On-tap at the Armsby Abbey on 5/23/10. Served in a snifter. Poured one shade shy of black with a frothy, tan-colored head that dissipates into a cluster of bubbles around the edges. Nose reveals bourbon, toffee and a hint of wood. Taste consistent with nose - rich, buttery and decadent with a complexity that improves as it warms. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a smooth, even carbonation that is lighter than anticipated. Bourbon Angel's Share is one of my favorite brews - a great sipper that improves as it warms. Definitely seek this one out if it is available on tap.

05-23-2010 22:46:59 | More by Jwale73
nelson4

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Was at BevMo and I thought I recognized the name. Boy was excited when I got home.

A - Poured almost flat, but then slowly, as if it was just a wee shy, it started to bubble. A creamy head developed and slowly disappeared until it was just a thin ring around the edge. The color was dark and clear with a slight reddish note as I held it up to the light.

S - Smell of caramel, vanilla, and chocolate sweetness. I would compare it's aroma to some of my favorite port's (wine for you beer only's) Normally, I have to work to get an aroma out of a beer but this beer jumps out but stops before it becomes overwhelming.

T -I take a sip and expect to be overwhelmed with that alcoholic kick that so many of these 'types' of beer have. I have become accustomed to it, but this is very different. It has a creamy taste that slowly warms into a sweet butterscotch chocolate taste. It really is like no beer i have ever had. I cannot write enough about it. The aftertaste is a vanilla stickiness. I am completely amazed.

M - Creamy and smooth with not a lot of carbonation. Goes down with minimal heat, but after sitting for a second I begin to feel it warm. This is way too smooth for a beer at 12.5%

D - I can't believe I am going to give this a 4. I poured into a tulip and fully intended to sip it until it drifted away, but i can't help but keep allowing sips to turn into swallows. This beer is probably mislabeled because there is no way 12.5 % can be this smooth and tasty.

Overall - This has vaulted to the top of my personal rankings right next to the Pliny's and Founder's Breakfast. I am not sure it gets much better than this.

05-21-2010 01:28:01 | More by nelson4
jjanega08

4.6/5  rDev +8%

2010 Vintage

A= After an uneventful pop of the cork I got a little worried. My Brady barrel was flat, my Grand Cru was nice, this one is low carbonation but by no means flat. I poured somewhat rigorously into the glass and got a tiny head out of it that sticks around in the thinnest skin I've ever seen on a beer without turning into a plain ol ring around the glass. The lacing is pretty minimal. The color is very dark black with some light shining through on the sides a little to reveal a hazy brown color.

S= Love the way these beers smell. Great bourbon in the nose with just enough heat in it. Nice bready malts as well as some nice tobacco and dark fruit smells. Really complex smelling. It's always a challenge to pick out all the things in an Angel's Share. There's some good vanilla and milk chocolate. For some reason I wanna say it smells a little nutty.

T= Excellent taste. Just as good as the smell. All of the same notes I picked up in the nose. Great bourbon in the taste as well as vanilla. Some really nice wood taste to it. Simply sublime in the taste. I would type all the complex tastes I get but they are the same as the nose.

M= Super thick. A little low on carbonation. While I understand this beer should be low in carbonation this is a little too low. It is there however so don't be fooled.

D= Great brew! The angles share beers are all very very good. The GC being the highlight of the ones I've had this is a close second fav. This beer is worth every penny I spent on it and I would but it again. Nice work LA

05-20-2010 04:03:24 | More by jjanega08
mithrascruor

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

12.7 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The beer looks almost syrup-like while pouring. In the glass it is a solid, opaque black-brown color with the tiniest bit of tan film around the edges of the glass. No visible carbonation. Leaves a little bit of lacing.

Smell: Has a strong boozy/alcohol note in the aroma. Aside from that, there's some roasted malts, and a good amount of raisins, figs, and currants.

Taste: I find it tough pinning down the specific flavors here. Malt flavor that is somewhat sweet, but tempered with some bitterness. There's a bit of booze throughout. The finish and aftertaste follow along the same lines, but add a bit of sourness, reminding me of the smell of whisky mash - so that's presumably coming from the whiskey/bourbon barrels. I think that I can detect a bit of spice here, but I can't really identify it and it might just be the alcohol. I sense a bit of dark chocolate in the aftertaste. There's really no presence of fruits anywhere.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a heavy-bodied beer. Thick and almost oil-like in how it coats the mouth. There's really no carbonation, and the beer is quite smooth. But, there's also a bit of alcohol burn in the finish.

Drinkability: Definitely a beer to enjoy in moderation. Strong in alcohol, strong in taste. For small sips, slowly, and in small quantities. But it works that way.

I'd been aware of this beer for a few years, and known it to be something of a "holy grail". Honestly, I am not all that impressed, but I can totally understand how others might love this. The dense, syrupy mouthfeel and the noticeable presence of alcohol are not what I'd call an acquired taste, but just something that I small percentage of people absolutely appreciate. This definitely has a unique and interesting flavor, and I think with the alcohol turned down I'd enjoy it more. As it is, this is for either the truly dedicated & interested, or those loving the strongest old ales & strong ales. I could certainly imagine consuming this with some very rich dark chocolate & raspberry dessert, but until I do that next, I think I'll pass on grabbing another bottle of this.

05-17-2010 01:21:02 | More by mithrascruor
oglmcdgl

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap at the grey lodge watching the flyers winning 4-0. Go broad street bullies.

A- comes to me filled to the brim so no head but I'm not complaining about getting more beer. Deep dark cloudy black walnut in color just some hints of light on the edges.

S- bourbon soaked raisins and dates. Brown sugar and shoo fly pie. Dark bread and molasses.

T- raisin toast with molasses on top. Lots of bourbon and dates. Chocolate and brown sugar. Deep oak under tones. Its keeps coming back to the sweet dried fruits and the bourbon and I'm glad.

M- full bodied for sure but being that this has carbonation and just the right amount that it aerates and opens this brew up beautifully. Slightly sticky and chewy and a bit of heat but hey it is 12 abv and called a bourbon barrel its home for a time.

D- for 12 abv its pretty damn drinkable if you like bourbon that is. I love it and out side of the sweetness I would drink all I could get my hands on.

05-17-2010 00:54:48 | More by oglmcdgl
Lerxst

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

375 ml bottle poured into a tulip

A-Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights with no head or lacing.

S-A sweet bourbon smells dominates with vanilla, dark fruit and a bit of malt.

T-The bourbon is again at the front, and as it is in the nose, has a slight sweetness to it that I didn't think I'd like, but as it warms, I find I'm enjoying it. Figs, raisins, currants are also there. A touch of caramel and vanilla.

M-Just a touch of carb here. Slightly heavier than medium mouthfeel. Has a pleasant warming sensation as I let it roll over my palate.

D-Its a sipper to be sure. But It goes down pleasantly enough.

This was a nice treat that I wouldn't mind on occasion.

05-12-2010 23:21:54 | More by Lerxst
Norsebrew

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

I had the pleasure of sampling this at the Strong Ale Fest at Avery Brewing and at the Lost Abbey 4th Anniversary party.

Dark brown color with small head. The aroma is alcohol bourbon with carmel, toffee notes. Sweet bourbon malty taste with alcohol and vanilla. Alcohol warmth. Medium body. A very pleasant experience that tipped off my tasting at the 4th Anniversay party. The rest is a haze.

05-12-2010 19:05:17 | More by Norsebrew
spoons

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a tulip

Pours a dark brown color with watery edges. Looks a little syrupy. Absolutely no head or carbonation to speak of. You can see the alcohol in the form of legs around the sides of the glass.

Smells like a lot of cheap vanilla and malt. Like a port. Chocolate and alcohol (harsh). Some darker fruits like figs and raisins. Whisky.

Taste comes in smooth and syrupy. Tastes like bourbon. A lot of caramel and vanilla. With no carbonation this reminds me of Utopias. Like a not so great port, very muddy. As far as placing it in the beer catergory its not so bad. Could use a little more time.

05-12-2010 06:34:13 | More by spoons
callmescraps

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

2010 on-tap at the Goat.

Appearance- Black? Deep reddish/brown. A nice inch of thick head, caps nicely on tap. Not much lacing.

Smell- Bourbon. Vanilla, cherry and raisins. A little booze. Nice.

Taste- Raisin for sure. Too much of it in fact. Bourbon is a little too mellow for me. Some coffee-ish roast. Dry. Seems to lack a little depth. I want there to be a flavor behind the flavor.

Mouth- Thin? How? It looked so nice. But it wasn't.

Drink- Easy as it goes.

I feel like other beers have passed this one by. It's a little thin, it lacks depth, and too much raisin for my taste. It's a good beer, but it could have been a great beer.

05-12-2010 01:39:44 | More by callmescraps
DosBeerigos

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

C. Cloudy even though it is dark
H. Carmel-ish Dark Brown
N. HUGE alcohol burn in the nose, almost smelled like children's vitamins with alcohol

There was a slight "pop" to this cork, although it was less carbonated, which seems to be an on going issue with previous The Lost Abbey's I have had. Possibly an issue with shipping? That said this beer almost drank like Sam Adam's Utopia's which to me was the consistency of a Cognac. I guess you could say this is the "poor-man's Utopias" although it isn't as large ABV wise it taste similar. Like a sexy tall woman the legs take over the glass. The alcohol is very present in the nose, but not so much on the palette. Making this beer one that could creep up quick. Overall a very solid beer.

05-11-2010 18:23:20 | More by DosBeerigos
bonkers

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

I poured from a 375ml bottle into a snifter. Almost jet black with no light getting through and an almost nonexistant head. There is lots of bourbon on the nose, as well as vanilla and oak. The taste follows the nose, lots of hot bourbon. It does mellow towards the finish, leaving the slightest little alcohol burn. The brew is full bodied, and low in carbonation. The beer is a nice sipper. A very good brew that is very overpriced.

05-11-2010 00:02:53 | More by bonkers
djmichaelk

4.43/5  rDev +4%

375ml bottle from 41st Ave Liquors in Santa Cruz, CA.

A - As to be expected with the high ABV, the head is small to nonexistent. Not much evidence of carbonation, which gives me a momentary panic remembering the 2009 issues, but it's a beautiful dark brown, with rusty brown highlights at the edges. Gorgeous outside of the lack of head.

S - I get a lot of bourbon. More than I thought I would. It gets more subtle as it warms up, and some dark fruit and toffee comes through later, but that's all you get at first. I can't say that I don't like it -- I **love** bourbon.

T - At first it was too cold, so all I got was a smack in the face from the bourbon. But as it warmed, it really opened up like I'd hoped. Bourbon (obviously) in the front, then brown sugar in the middle, with raisins, figs, and black cherries in the long finish. One of those that you just want to savor forever as you go.

M - Well, when cold, it seems almost flat. But as it came more toward room temperature, it fluffed up and was much more carbonated. Much more. I almost didn't believe the difference. This is definitely not a 2009 bottle. Very thick, well carbonated, and almost chewy.

D - Ok, I know I'm going off the script here, but how can any 12.5% beer be drinkable? I guess this one is as much as it can be. I was kind of hammered for a while after this one, so I took notes and settled down before typing this up. But there's just no way I could sit and drink more than one of these in a sitting. Just for the flavor I'll give it just above average for this class of ABV.

05-10-2010 01:56:40 | More by djmichaelk
ShadesOfGray

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle dated 2010 and stamped Bourbon on the bottom edge. Also a new bottle style for Lost Abbey...same bottle as the Red Poppy and not the long neck bottle. Poured from a 375ml bottle into my Koningshoeven small snifter glass. Pours a super dark brown/chestnut color. Uh-oh...don't tell me this is another carb-problem batch from Lost Abbey! No head at all, beer looks completely flat. The appearance of the beer itself is awesome, just lacking the head.

Aroma is great! Huge bourbon, dark over-ripe fruits, and a slight vanilla note. Lot's of complexity in the nose.

Ok, here's the deal. The carbonation is definitely on the low side...but not horribly flat. The flavor in this beer is so good, the small amount of carbonation isn't killing the beer at all. Still can't help but wonder how this beer would taste and feel with more carbonation. Flavors are oak, bourbon, dark and over-ripe fruit...raisins being one, vanilla, and roasted malts. The bourbon aspect of this perticular BA beer is great! Strong booze warmth all over the mouth, down the throat, and into the stomach. A great beer!

05-05-2010 01:34:04 | More by ShadesOfGray
glid02

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle shared by Joe - much obliged!

Pours a chestnut brown color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smooth and sweet caramel malts with good amounts of vanilla and bourbon. Also present are deep milk chocolate aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Robust caramel malt flavors - sticky yet far from cloying - that indicate the base beer must be a pretty damn good beer in it's own right kick things off. Soon afterward milk chocolate flavors join in along with darker toffee. Midway through the sip bourbon and vanilla flavors make their way into the flavor profile, carrying through to a sweet and crisp ending with a bit of heat.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have another.

Overall I was impressed with this bad boy, and was happy that the carbonation was at a good level. After having the Grand Cru and Bourbon I'm very interested to try the Brandy. I'd be willing to be that it's worth a shot, as is this one.

05-03-2010 04:36:47 | More by glid02
youradhere

Arkansas

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

375ml bottle from Sinners Club shipment.

Cork pulls with the tiniest of "pft", poured into a tulip. Deep mahogany with edges of reddish chocolate brown that touches the glass. No head, but faint lacing swirls atop. Smells of bourbon and vanilla, with some fainter notes of chocolate. Bourbon up front, like taking a watered down shot, as the palate warms chocolate and figs come up. Slightly dry with alcohol burn, the modicum carbonation helps to take the edge off of the bourbon and distracts enough to taste the other elements of the beer. Mouthfeel isn't as thick, but we will see as it warms. Not something you would want to session all night, but is a good treat to sip on for a bit.

05-03-2010 04:15:23 | More by youradhere