The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

My first review in too long...time to get back to it. First I must premise this review with a disclaimer, I've been wanting to try this beer since I became a BA 2 years ago, thanks mikesgroove!!!

A: a little pop after the cork came out, more than what I expected to hear from prior reviews but less than I wanted. Deep mahogany color with no head

S: sweet bourbon and dark fruits. Sweeter smell than anticipated

T: similar to the smell, sweet bourbon and dark fruits. Caramel malts and almost no alcohol burn for a 12%+ ABV. Really nice overall, one of the better BA beers I've had even with no carbonation this was a great one to taste.

M: Smooth and almost viscous as it warms. The small amount of carbonation does not hinder the taste one bit...dare I say that it works?!?

D: at 12%+ this works very well for a sipper after dinner. The sweetness is enhanced as it warms but an overall ve3ry nice beer.

Very happy to try this beer. One of the better barrel aged beers I've had and did not disappoint after a couple years of waiting. Definately looking to score a few more of these.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Poured agressively, but only resulted in some bubbles that disappeared pretty much immediately, no head to speak of on this. No lacing on the sides. Dark brown/mohagany color, that was decent looking but not much else.

S - Dark fruits, particularly raisins, definate bourbon on the nose, nice wood, vanilla, and a bit of cocoa. Lot of caramel malts.

T - Taste is pretty much in line with the smell, this is definately the best part of the beer. Bourbon is big, but not overly hot, the oak gives it a very nice vanilla and coconut flavor. Caramel/toffee malts and a little bit of carob like cocoa taste. Quite complex and good.

M - Flat and non-carbonated, heavy end of medium bodied.

D - Little heavy, and the high alcohol and flatness makes this one slightly more average than drinkable. It's not super easy, but it's relatively easy considering the beer.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

pours a dark brown with a very little khaki head, and good lacing.

smell is of bourbon, wood, alcohol, and dark fruit.

taste is strong alcohol, cocoa, and dark fruit, ends with a potent alcohol taste and somewhat dry.

overall a good american strong ale but a little too strong with the alcohol.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Damn I ever so glad I picked this one up. Purchased from Isaac Newton's in Newtown.

Poured into a snifter. Pours an almost opague black color but held to the light there are some lighter notes around the edges of the glass. Really no retention,heading any of that.(Something tells me I will be sipping this very lightly)

Smell is of whiskey immediately as the cork was popped. As the Angel's share liquid is carefully poured into my snifter. I get even more heavy notes of bourbon. To settle thing's out a bit from this heavy booze are the caramel malts in full force to take over the show ( just for a little while)

Taste is simply amazing.Ridiculously heavy in chocolate and a sweeter caramel taste which is quickly knocked down by the hot boozy bourbon. Which completely numbs the mouth and leaves a somewhat spicey, vanilla like stuck in the tastebuds.

Leaves the mouth numb and watering for more. There really is no crisp carbonation as this is just like drinking straight bourbon with malt. LEaves a slight vanilla extract'esk slipperiness in the mouth.

A great beverage indeed I am so happy I picked this one up.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Where to begin...
The aroma hits you in the face the second you pop the cork. It is thick and viscous with an amazingly smooth mouth feel. The complexity of flavor is unlike any other beer I've had lately. So much depth and many layers. Lots of dried strawberry in the nose and an unusual likeness to tiramisu. An ever changing flavor explosion. Very unique and exciting beer. I found myself sipping on it just to relish the layers of flavor.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

On-tap at the Armsby Abbey on 5/23/10. Served in a snifter. Poured one shade shy of black with a frothy, tan-colored head that dissipates into a cluster of bubbles around the edges. Nose reveals bourbon, toffee and a hint of wood. Taste consistent with nose - rich, buttery and decadent with a complexity that improves as it warms. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a smooth, even carbonation that is lighter than anticipated. Bourbon Angel's Share is one of my favorite brews - a great sipper that improves as it warms. Definitely seek this one out if it is available on tap.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Was at BevMo and I thought I recognized the name. Boy was excited when I got home.

A - Poured almost flat, but then slowly, as if it was just a wee shy, it started to bubble. A creamy head developed and slowly disappeared until it was just a thin ring around the edge. The color was dark and clear with a slight reddish note as I held it up to the light.

S - Smell of caramel, vanilla, and chocolate sweetness. I would compare it's aroma to some of my favorite port's (wine for you beer only's) Normally, I have to work to get an aroma out of a beer but this beer jumps out but stops before it becomes overwhelming.

T -I take a sip and expect to be overwhelmed with that alcoholic kick that so many of these 'types' of beer have. I have become accustomed to it, but this is very different. It has a creamy taste that slowly warms into a sweet butterscotch chocolate taste. It really is like no beer i have ever had. I cannot write enough about it. The aftertaste is a vanilla stickiness. I am completely amazed.

M - Creamy and smooth with not a lot of carbonation. Goes down with minimal heat, but after sitting for a second I begin to feel it warm. This is way too smooth for a beer at 12.5%

D - I can't believe I am going to give this a 4. I poured into a tulip and fully intended to sip it until it drifted away, but i can't help but keep allowing sips to turn into swallows. This beer is probably mislabeled because there is no way 12.5 % can be this smooth and tasty.

Overall - This has vaulted to the top of my personal rankings right next to the Pliny's and Founder's Breakfast. I am not sure it gets much better than this.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

2010 Vintage

A= After an uneventful pop of the cork I got a little worried. My Brady barrel was flat, my Grand Cru was nice, this one is low carbonation but by no means flat. I poured somewhat rigorously into the glass and got a tiny head out of it that sticks around in the thinnest skin I've ever seen on a beer without turning into a plain ol ring around the glass. The lacing is pretty minimal. The color is very dark black with some light shining through on the sides a little to reveal a hazy brown color.

S= Love the way these beers smell. Great bourbon in the nose with just enough heat in it. Nice bready malts as well as some nice tobacco and dark fruit smells. Really complex smelling. It's always a challenge to pick out all the things in an Angel's Share. There's some good vanilla and milk chocolate. For some reason I wanna say it smells a little nutty.

T= Excellent taste. Just as good as the smell. All of the same notes I picked up in the nose. Great bourbon in the taste as well as vanilla. Some really nice wood taste to it. Simply sublime in the taste. I would type all the complex tastes I get but they are the same as the nose.

M= Super thick. A little low on carbonation. While I understand this beer should be low in carbonation this is a little too low. It is there however so don't be fooled.

D= Great brew! The angles share beers are all very very good. The GC being the highlight of the ones I've had this is a close second fav. This beer is worth every penny I spent on it and I would but it again. Nice work LA

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

12.7 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The beer looks almost syrup-like while pouring. In the glass it is a solid, opaque black-brown color with the tiniest bit of tan film around the edges of the glass. No visible carbonation. Leaves a little bit of lacing.

Smell: Has a strong boozy/alcohol note in the aroma. Aside from that, there's some roasted malts, and a good amount of raisins, figs, and currants.

Taste: I find it tough pinning down the specific flavors here. Malt flavor that is somewhat sweet, but tempered with some bitterness. There's a bit of booze throughout. The finish and aftertaste follow along the same lines, but add a bit of sourness, reminding me of the smell of whisky mash - so that's presumably coming from the whiskey/bourbon barrels. I think that I can detect a bit of spice here, but I can't really identify it and it might just be the alcohol. I sense a bit of dark chocolate in the aftertaste. There's really no presence of fruits anywhere.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a heavy-bodied beer. Thick and almost oil-like in how it coats the mouth. There's really no carbonation, and the beer is quite smooth. But, there's also a bit of alcohol burn in the finish.

Drinkability: Definitely a beer to enjoy in moderation. Strong in alcohol, strong in taste. For small sips, slowly, and in small quantities. But it works that way.

I'd been aware of this beer for a few years, and known it to be something of a "holy grail". Honestly, I am not all that impressed, but I can totally understand how others might love this. The dense, syrupy mouthfeel and the noticeable presence of alcohol are not what I'd call an acquired taste, but just something that I small percentage of people absolutely appreciate. This definitely has a unique and interesting flavor, and I think with the alcohol turned down I'd enjoy it more. As it is, this is for either the truly dedicated & interested, or those loving the strongest old ales & strong ales. I could certainly imagine consuming this with some very rich dark chocolate & raspberry dessert, but until I do that next, I think I'll pass on grabbing another bottle of this.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap at the grey lodge watching the flyers winning 4-0. Go broad street bullies.

A- comes to me filled to the brim so no head but I'm not complaining about getting more beer. Deep dark cloudy black walnut in color just some hints of light on the edges.

S- bourbon soaked raisins and dates. Brown sugar and shoo fly pie. Dark bread and molasses.

T- raisin toast with molasses on top. Lots of bourbon and dates. Chocolate and brown sugar. Deep oak under tones. Its keeps coming back to the sweet dried fruits and the bourbon and I'm glad.

M- full bodied for sure but being that this has carbonation and just the right amount that it aerates and opens this brew up beautifully. Slightly sticky and chewy and a bit of heat but hey it is 12 abv and called a bourbon barrel its home for a time.

D- for 12 abv its pretty damn drinkable if you like bourbon that is. I love it and out side of the sweetness I would drink all I could get my hands on.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

375 ml bottle poured into a tulip

A-Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights with no head or lacing.

S-A sweet bourbon smells dominates with vanilla, dark fruit and a bit of malt.

T-The bourbon is again at the front, and as it is in the nose, has a slight sweetness to it that I didn't think I'd like, but as it warms, I find I'm enjoying it. Figs, raisins, currants are also there. A touch of caramel and vanilla.

M-Just a touch of carb here. Slightly heavier than medium mouthfeel. Has a pleasant warming sensation as I let it roll over my palate.

D-Its a sipper to be sure. But It goes down pleasantly enough.

This was a nice treat that I wouldn't mind on occasion.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

I had the pleasure of sampling this at the Strong Ale Fest at Avery Brewing and at the Lost Abbey 4th Anniversary party.

Dark brown color with small head. The aroma is alcohol bourbon with carmel, toffee notes. Sweet bourbon malty taste with alcohol and vanilla. Alcohol warmth. Medium body. A very pleasant experience that tipped off my tasting at the 4th Anniversay party. The rest is a haze.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured into a tulip

Pours a dark brown color with watery edges. Looks a little syrupy. Absolutely no head or carbonation to speak of. You can see the alcohol in the form of legs around the sides of the glass.

Smells like a lot of cheap vanilla and malt. Like a port. Chocolate and alcohol (harsh). Some darker fruits like figs and raisins. Whisky.

Taste comes in smooth and syrupy. Tastes like bourbon. A lot of caramel and vanilla. With no carbonation this reminds me of Utopias. Like a not so great port, very muddy. As far as placing it in the beer catergory its not so bad. Could use a little more time.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

2010 on-tap at the Goat.

Appearance- Black? Deep reddish/brown. A nice inch of thick head, caps nicely on tap. Not much lacing.

Smell- Bourbon. Vanilla, cherry and raisins. A little booze. Nice.

Taste- Raisin for sure. Too much of it in fact. Bourbon is a little too mellow for me. Some coffee-ish roast. Dry. Seems to lack a little depth. I want there to be a flavor behind the flavor.

Mouth- Thin? How? It looked so nice. But it wasn't.

Drink- Easy as it goes.

I feel like other beers have passed this one by. It's a little thin, it lacks depth, and too much raisin for my taste. It's a good beer, but it could have been a great beer.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

C. Cloudy even though it is dark
H. Carmel-ish Dark Brown
N. HUGE alcohol burn in the nose, almost smelled like children's vitamins with alcohol

There was a slight "pop" to this cork, although it was less carbonated, which seems to be an on going issue with previous The Lost Abbey's I have had. Possibly an issue with shipping? That said this beer almost drank like Sam Adam's Utopia's which to me was the consistency of a Cognac. I guess you could say this is the "poor-man's Utopias" although it isn't as large ABV wise it taste similar. Like a sexy tall woman the legs take over the glass. The alcohol is very present in the nose, but not so much on the palette. Making this beer one that could creep up quick. Overall a very solid beer.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

I poured from a 375ml bottle into a snifter. Almost jet black with no light getting through and an almost nonexistant head. There is lots of bourbon on the nose, as well as vanilla and oak. The taste follows the nose, lots of hot bourbon. It does mellow towards the finish, leaving the slightest little alcohol burn. The brew is full bodied, and low in carbonation. The beer is a nice sipper. A very good brew that is very overpriced.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

375ml bottle from 41st Ave Liquors in Santa Cruz, CA.

A - As to be expected with the high ABV, the head is small to nonexistent. Not much evidence of carbonation, which gives me a momentary panic remembering the 2009 issues, but it's a beautiful dark brown, with rusty brown highlights at the edges. Gorgeous outside of the lack of head.

S - I get a lot of bourbon. More than I thought I would. It gets more subtle as it warms up, and some dark fruit and toffee comes through later, but that's all you get at first. I can't say that I don't like it -- I **love** bourbon.

T - At first it was too cold, so all I got was a smack in the face from the bourbon. But as it warmed, it really opened up like I'd hoped. Bourbon (obviously) in the front, then brown sugar in the middle, with raisins, figs, and black cherries in the long finish. One of those that you just want to savor forever as you go.

M - Well, when cold, it seems almost flat. But as it came more toward room temperature, it fluffed up and was much more carbonated. Much more. I almost didn't believe the difference. This is definitely not a 2009 bottle. Very thick, well carbonated, and almost chewy.

D - Ok, I know I'm going off the script here, but how can any 12.5% beer be drinkable? I guess this one is as much as it can be. I was kind of hammered for a while after this one, so I took notes and settled down before typing this up. But there's just no way I could sit and drink more than one of these in a sitting. Just for the flavor I'll give it just above average for this class of ABV.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle dated 2010 and stamped Bourbon on the bottom edge. Also a new bottle style for Lost Abbey...same bottle as the Red Poppy and not the long neck bottle. Poured from a 375ml bottle into my Koningshoeven small snifter glass. Pours a super dark brown/chestnut color. Uh-oh...don't tell me this is another carb-problem batch from Lost Abbey! No head at all, beer looks completely flat. The appearance of the beer itself is awesome, just lacking the head.

Aroma is great! Huge bourbon, dark over-ripe fruits, and a slight vanilla note. Lot's of complexity in the nose.

Ok, here's the deal. The carbonation is definitely on the low side...but not horribly flat. The flavor in this beer is so good, the small amount of carbonation isn't killing the beer at all. Still can't help but wonder how this beer would taste and feel with more carbonation. Flavors are oak, bourbon, dark and over-ripe fruit...raisins being one, vanilla, and roasted malts. The bourbon aspect of this perticular BA beer is great! Strong booze warmth all over the mouth, down the throat, and into the stomach. A great beer!

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle shared by Joe - much obliged!

Pours a chestnut brown color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smooth and sweet caramel malts with good amounts of vanilla and bourbon. Also present are deep milk chocolate aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Robust caramel malt flavors - sticky yet far from cloying - that indicate the base beer must be a pretty damn good beer in it's own right kick things off. Soon afterward milk chocolate flavors join in along with darker toffee. Midway through the sip bourbon and vanilla flavors make their way into the flavor profile, carrying through to a sweet and crisp ending with a bit of heat.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have another.

Overall I was impressed with this bad boy, and was happy that the carbonation was at a good level. After having the Grand Cru and Bourbon I'm very interested to try the Brandy. I'd be willing to be that it's worth a shot, as is this one.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

375ml bottle from Sinners Club shipment.

Cork pulls with the tiniest of "pft", poured into a tulip. Deep mahogany with edges of reddish chocolate brown that touches the glass. No head, but faint lacing swirls atop. Smells of bourbon and vanilla, with some fainter notes of chocolate. Bourbon up front, like taking a watered down shot, as the palate warms chocolate and figs come up. Slightly dry with alcohol burn, the modicum carbonation helps to take the edge off of the bourbon and distracts enough to taste the other elements of the beer. Mouthfeel isn't as thick, but we will see as it warms. Not something you would want to session all night, but is a good treat to sip on for a bit.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Had a sample tasting at Dark Lord Day -- big thanks to the folks in SF who brought this. Took a picture of the label and what I tasted (and am reviewing) is a smaller bottle - I think it's 12.7 ounces -and says "Lost Abbey 2009" and below says "Malt beverage aged in oak barrels -- Angel Share Ale".

A: Dark brown almost black in appearance, with little head or carbonation present

S: Pleasant alcohol and brandy aroma along with some vanilla and oak.

T: Intense flavor that just really blew me away. More pleasant brandy and alcohol flavors, along with dark fruits, vanilla, oak and roasted maltiness.

M: Little or no carbonation gives the beer more brandy-like qualities. Full bodied, thick and oily.

D: My first experience with Angel Share -- this was a sheer delight to taste. Very much a sipping beer, I'd rank this up with any barley wine or after dinner cordial.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

2008 Vintage

A: Looks like one of the uncarbonated bottles... Cork came out with barely any sound. Pours a dark brown/mahogany with virtually no head. No lacing to speak of, but there are some legs sliding down the sides of the glass.

S: Figs, chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, and a mix of nondescript booze and warming bourbon. Sweet and complex.

T: Lots of dark fruit sweetness, some dark chocolate, vanilla, and a little bourbon flavor too. Just a touch of bitterness hits the palate in the finish. Pretty nice balance overall, but it became just a touch cloying towards the end of the glass.

M: Thick and full bodied and pretty harsh from alcohol. The alcohol bite was a little surprising considering this bottle had 2 years on it. There was absolutely no carbonation in this either. Due to the nature of this brew, I don't think the lack of carbonation took TOO much away from the experience. However, I do think it would have been better with the appropriate amount of subtle carbonation.

D: An interesting sipper that I enjoyed trying. However, it's definitely not worth the $31.50 I paid for this 750 ml bottle. Now that it comes in smaller bottles I'd probably give a newer vintage another go.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer, along with it's Brandy aged cousin have caught a lot of flack for carbonation issues on this site, so lets see how this year's version came out. The cork comes out with a light pop, better than none I suppose, and pours out a deep, dark brown, with just lacing as far as heading is concerned. My first thought is that while there may not be a whole lot of carbonation, at least there is some. Anyway, nose is amazing, with huge bourbon characters, chocolate, caramel, brown sugar and dark fruit. Bourbon, caramel and molasses dominate the taste, with tiny hints of earth as well. Mouthfeel is thick and boozy, but curbed at the same time by the carbonation that is there. This is not really a bad thing in my opinion, as this beer acts more like a spirit than most others, and deserves to be sipped and savored. Drinking this beer is a wonderful experience, but I warn you to take it slow, as it has kicked my ass on more than one occasion when having it out at a bar. Final thoughts are that despite all the criticism of Lost Abbey for the carbonation thing on last years brandy and bourbon batches, this beer is literally unlike any other. Even with zero fizz, this beer is a wonder to drink. Would I like some more carbonation? Yes, for sure, but it is still one of the most interesting and complex beers on the general market right now IMO. Now all I need to do is try the Grand Cru version of this brew, and I am good to go. Cheers

2009 vintage

Brown with a purplish tint, no indication of carbonation. Does not resemble beer, but looks intriguing.

Aggressive bourbon aromas burn the inside of the nose with a deep inhalation. Vanilla, chocolate, and layers of dark fruits.

A bourbon-y alcoholic burn dominates, but is complemented by interesting vanilla notes. There is an underlying sweetness which is effectively masked by the alcohol, but which occasionally makes its presence known. The mouthfeel is actually not as thick as expected. No carbonation, which works fine for the pensive mood of this beer. The finish lasts forever and is wonderfully evocative - licorice, toffee, pecan, plum, et al. Bourbon is well integrated into this beer, as it's not clear where the beer ends and the bourbon begins.

I could definitely spend a few hours on these 12.7 ounces. Certainly an experience, though not one I could afford to have often.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage.

Angels Share is a fitting name for this heavenly ale. Tiny head but no head needed for this fine sipper. When then chalice was tilted only slightly, it took literally almost 30 seconds for the last bubbles to reach the surface. And I only tilted it enough to show a 1/4 inch of lace. A lexicon of flavors show in the nose and taste, one of the most complex and well crafted brews I've come across. Molasses, figs, caramelized candi sugar, plum, chocolate covered dark cherries and bourbon. Much more. Carbonation was low and the mouthfeel was pure velvet. Perfect. I'm on my way to grab more this weekend, don't be scared to drink it fresh, I know it can be cellar'd but it's hard to imagine an improvement over this.

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey