The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Alström Bros
4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Review #50... (I know, I know...)
Saved this review for my first minor milestone, cause it was a doozie. This was an 08 375 (carbonated) that I got about 1.5 years ago from a fellow ba... Thanks! Split with my sister's bf rick.

Gushes out of the 375. Pours a really dark dark mahogany/nut color. about 1.5 inch of head sticks around.

The nose is insanely complex. Dark chocolate, toffee, cocoa, carmel, etc... INSANE I TELL YOU!!!

The taste delivers on the promise of the nose.
The chocolate and the toffee notes intermix so well in the mouth too. Also to go along with this complexity, is the nice hint (just a hint) of alcohol burn. There is some faint vanilla from the barrel in the background too, along with some bourbon sweetness.

I have had some really good beers in my time here on ba, and this is a bold, bold statement, but this is BY FAR the best beer I have ever had. So glad that I received another in a trade recently.

mikecharley, Dec 06, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

on tap at big wood @ brouwer's. have had previously as well. very dark, almost black, little bit of carbonation, definitely not flat, which i've been hearing is a serious problem with this in the bottles. the last bottle i had did have decent carbonation as well. maybe i got lucky. smells like brandy with a little caramel and chocolate hiding in there. the cold taste was not very revealing but when this baby warmed up, it came alive. the alcohol lingers all throughout each sip and plays well with others, the caramel, chocolate, a spot of vanilla, bourbon. fun stuff. warm, it is very enjoyable. always happy to have some lost abbey, always lucky to not be disappointed. i just wish we'd had a table at that time so i could've ordered something else while letting it warm.

olympuszymurgus, Dec 06, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -49.2%

So Lost Abbey gets one more shot and steals my hard earned money. This better be good, and by good I mean carbonated.

It pours a murky brown color with little to no head and very little lacing.

The nose is basically just bourbon. This isn't looking good.

The taste is just bleh. If i wanted a glass of bourbon I'd pour one from my liquor cabinet. I don't get what this is trying to be. It's like drinking a glass of good bourbon that someone left out for 6 days. You can tell the thought was there and this should be good but it isn't. I don't even want to drink the rest of it honestly.

Overall this is pretty awful. I can't see what the hype is with this beer. Maybe this was flat, I don't know. If this is what it's supposed to taste like then God help anyone that tries to finish a bottle. If it's a bad bottle (one of many from Lost Abbey) then that would make my fourth bottle of different variety that I have had which was a waste of money. If I wanted to waste money on a tease I'd drop $35 at a titty bar. I'm done with Lost Abbey. Let's pull the pin on the hype train for this brewery. Flat or not Flat, this one simply sucked.

ShrLSU, Dec 02, 2009

Bottle: Poured a clear deep brown color ale with a medium foamy head with little to no retention and no lacing. Aroma of bourbon with light vanilla and balanced sweet rich malt. Taste is a well balanced mix between some deep rich English style malt with light dry fruits and with great notes of bourbon and light vanilla. Body is fuller then average with very low carbonation but still enough to be enjoyable with no apparent alcohol which is surprising considering the clear notes of bourbon. Not bad thought not sure it is worth the price tag or should be ion the top 50 but glad I tried it anyway.

Phyl21ca, Dec 02, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to bitterbill for this!

12.7 oz. cage-corked bottle - 2009 vintage - poured into tulip glass -

Pours black with slight rubyish highlights and a wisp rather than a head. Dotted lace and some "legs" slide down the glass.

The smell is of rich bourbon - vanilla/oak with a toffee backing. It has a cherry-like fruity touch. It is a beautiful, robust aroma.

The taste is of strong bourbon - vanilla/oak with a touch of cinnamon spicing. It has a chocolate/toffee backing that supports and complements the bourbon/oak. Some alcohol shows, though not in a raw way - adding pepper and fruity spicing that adds to the complexity. Some dark fruits - dark cherry, prune, plum mix in, adding another layer of complexity. Bourbon (I don't know which one - not listed on website) is delicious and stays ahead, but with great support. It is sweet, but rounded out with a minty dryness in the finish.

The feel is velvety/silky - rich and full-bodied, but the carbonation keeps it from being thick or syrupy. A pleasant aftertaste lingers.

Wonderfully complex and I don't know what Bourbon is used (not listed on site), but it's a nice one, and with a great malty richness. A treat, and one to seek out if you are a lover of bourbon-barrel-aged beer!

jwc215, Nov 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

375ml bottle (2009 release) received from brdc. Thanks! Poured into a Bruery tulip. Opened with a nice pop...not overwhelming, but satisfying pop.

A - Some tiny bubbles around the edge of the glass, but no head at all. A few swirls of bubbles on the surface, but that's about it. Dark, dark brown, almost totally opaque, just a hint of transparency around the edges when held to the light.

S - Caramel, molasses, a bit of milk chocolate, vanilla, toffee and some alcohol, and a touch of prunes, and a bunch of raisins. Very complex.

T - Buttery toffee, molasses, milk chocolate, prunes. Flavors basically mirror the taste. Really good.

M - Carbonation is negligable, body is quite rich and full, and syrupy. Just the slightest hint of carbonation, but that is all it needs. This is really good.

D - 12% is on the high side...a touch boozy, but not overpowering. For what this is, it is rather drinkable. Split the 375ml bottle and it is just about right...probably could finish the 375 on my own, but not any more. For a high alcohol beer, this is pretty smooth, not hot, but noticable alcohol. Very good overall.

portia99, Nov 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Huge thanks to drgonzo3705 for giving me the chance to try this one!

Nice pop of the cork (shew!) so I know there's some bubbles in there somewhere. Pours a dark brown color with no head or lacing. I can see some carbonation bubbles drifiting slowing to the top edge of the liquid. Big waft of bourbon is the first noticeable aroma followed by chocolate, light coffee and burnt caramel. Smells amazing! Flavor is nice blend of chocolate, roasted malts, dark caramel, bourbon, vanilla, booze, and oak. Mmmm, this is so close to being an imperial stout, but falls just short. Definitely the roastiest strong ale I've ever had. Carbonation is very light but it's nice and doesn't really need anymore for this style, but a touch more would be welcome. Really can't complain, as this beer soft, velvety, and warming. Booze is a little too much in the forefront, and this hampers the drinkability but it's delicious all around.

In all, I'm very happy to have had the chance to try this one and I was impressed. Not the flat mess that was Older Viscosity. Thanks again, Paul!

KeefD, Nov 26, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

On-tap at the Bookstore Speakeasy. I'm told this is one of 4 kegs in the state. Lucky me.

The beer doesn't live up to the hype, but it's still pretty tasty. In short, it was a large snifter of bourbon candy. The character was rich and sweet, but the flavors were too smooth, making it hard to pick out many flavors. It came off a little dull for such a big beer. The bourbon character dominated and as it warmed the alcohol began to emerge. I'm glad I tried this beer, but wished it had approached everything I'd heard about it.

tempest, Nov 23, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

A restoration of a review lost in the great purge of '09... originally sampled in July '09 at Monk's for my b-day

A-Deep rich dark brown. Khaki head that went away rather quickly but left nice lacing on the sides.

S-Rich, complex blend of aromas of burbon, vanilla oak, dark fruit, wine, herbs and hints of malt. Nothing overpowers another scent.

T- While the scents of the beer all hinted towards rich and full flavors, everything contained there-in was in a delicate balance where each sip brought on a new taste. Amazingly complex flavors of vanilla oak, burbon, dark fruit, wine and spice all with a nice backbone of malt.

M-Rediculously smooth for all of the complexities. Nicely carbonated.

D-Amazing. A must have, in a class of its own

rfgetz, Nov 23, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Yes this was third course 09 BGBBD @ sierra, just sick to know that it was the bourbon instead of the brandy. So dark and happy, I've had the bourbon in bottle before and loved it and this was no exception. Poured dark with little head. Aromas were huge so much vanilla like I remembered it and thank god I got a snifter of this at the end. Went down too smooth and easy. I could care less about carb issues, this was almost complete and for me was up there with BBVD, BA Boris and Nor'easter Cl for best bourbon brews.

Cakanator, Nov 23, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a snifter at "The Bookstore" in Bethlehem, PA.

The looks of this pour are fairly unremarkable, very dark brown, near black with a thin light brown head that has little retention and leaves no lacing. Aroma is exceptional, very strong and nuanced balance of bourbon, oak, molasses, vanilla, etc. Very sweet and boozy, almost overwhelming in strength. Flavor is very similar to the nose, primarily bourbon and oak flavors, with a caramel malt backbone trying to poke through. Alcohol is obviously present, though not uncomfortably so. Finish has strong lingering bourbon taste. Mild notes of dark fruits, raisins, slightly spicy. No problems with carbonation in this serving, full bodied, very smooth and pleasing on the palate. For the complexity and booziness of this beer compared to others of similar styles this is very drinkable, but (this goes without saying) this is obviously a sipper for sharing.

yourefragile, Nov 23, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Consumed on tap at Stone on 11/12/2009 and poured into a snifter. The beer is dark brown, nearly black with a two finger light brown head and good retention.

The nose blows me away. A wonderful balance is struck between bourbon, brown sugar, and vanilla. Oak notes are evident, as well as alcohol heat that compliments the other characteristics. I'm salivating from the bourbon in the nose. This is easily one of my favorite bourbon barrel barleywines.

The flavor is hot, but pleasant. Brown sugar, vanilla, and prominent bourbon are all present. A low level of sweetness is noticeable, as well as barrel tannins. Notes of booze soaked dates are present, and I detect figs. Simply delicious stuff. The bourbon character is fantastic.

On tap, the carbonation is spot on, and the mouthfeel is viscous, silky, and smooth. Unbelievable stuff, it's a real shame about the 2009 bottles.

HopHead84, Nov 13, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

2009 vintage poured from a 375ml bottle thanks to RustyDiamond in a recent trade, thanks man! The cork popped when I opened it so that's a good sign.

A: Pours a dark dark syrupy brown cola color with very few bubbles and therefore zero lacing. It looks like a glass of coke that sat out overnight - not saying it in a negative way, just the best comparison on appearance I can muster up.

S: Smells initially like sweet vanilla bourbon! Caramel, brown sugar, molasses, oak, raisins, figs, dates, even some roasted malt type scents

T: Tastes just like the smell...bourbon is the prominent flavor to me and yes, this tastes boozy, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, oak, raisins

M: I'm not sure if there have been rumblings about carbonation issues with the 09 bourbon release, but this is very low carbonation. I did open it pretty cold too. I've heard people argue that this is true to style, but I'm just saying that I can tell I would like this way more if it had some BUBBLES! I'd love to try this on tap as I'm sure it's way better to my liking. This is very much carbonated like a 2 liter of pop that has been opened a month ago but still sits idle in the fridge.

D: The flavor is really damn good, albeit a little too boozy for me, but maybe some cellaring would tone that down some. The carbonation and alcohol flavor take this down on drinkability for me.

Like I said, I would love to try this on tap. I think it would rocket up the charts for me. The carbonation is just too low for me out of the bottle. I can't imagine what the infamous undercarbonated brandy version is like.

dukedevil0, Nov 03, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this 375 mL corked and caged bottle from the 2007 release (or so). I chilled it in the freezer before opening it and had no gushing issues. Consumed on 31-Oct-09.

A: The ale is a dark, mysterious black hue that offers out occasional deep ruby hues. As expected, condensation from the freezer temperatures is blanketing my snifter. A finger and a half of off-white head, dense, scaled back without lacing.

S: My snifter is still far too cold to the touch, preventing me from sniffing too early. The strong ale is formidable, heavy with oak, vanilla, brown sugar, and chocolate. The nose is very inviting, heavy with booze but wickedly complex.

T: Much like the brandy barrel version, this ale is phenomenal. Rich dark flavors start off, full and almost chewy, before transitioning to the wood and bourbon. The bourbon barrel has layered vanilla and brown sugar, along with a strong oaken body. The ale is sweet, benefiting from the from the bourbon, without a tell-tale boozy hit. The bourbon aspect of the ale is subtle, almost an afterthought behind the oak. The good news is that the oak aspect still carries the day. The complexity, from first sip to last, is a real treat; an excellent after dinner drink.

M: The mouthfeel is so deep, so complex, that words hardly do it justice. Oak, bourbon, vanilla, brown sugar, all working in tandem to deliver an epic experience.

D: So delicious, so complex, I'd suffer an untold number of hangovers to drink this every day. Beers like this make the U.S. the greatest country, brewing-wise, in the world. It also is a reminder that the Lost Abbey is world class.

akorsak, Nov 01, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle 2008 Pours an iced tea brown with no head at all. No lacing also, as figures. Has a sweet aroma of bourbon,wood, vanilla and caramel. Has a very light carbonation. The flavor is thick and alcoholic. Has sweet malts and a good burn to it. Has an oily texture. The body is full. Has a strong finish with a sour aftertaste. Shared this with friends and it has good points but seems to miss alittle.

Birdiebeagle, Oct 30, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Flat 2009 release

Pours a lifeless black with some air bubbles but no head to speak of. Smell is an absolutely beautiful but holy-cow-powerful dose of bourbon and oak. Toffee, chocolate, vanilla, alcohol burn, dark fruits, just blistering my the senses. This one might end up being a bit too hot.

Surprisingly, the taste is not really hot at all (relatively speaking). In fact, the aggressive nature of the nose is tamed quite a bit once it hits the tongue, which saves this beer from being a hot mess which it very well could have been without the carbonation. A nice, flavorful mix of boubon, oak, and toffee. Still as flat as a pancake, but unlike the '08 Brandy version this one works a little bit better in its current state. Still needs some damn bubbles, but I won't complain too much in this case.

I could have given the mouthfeel a 1 or 2 if I was truly keeping it as a separate category, but because the flatness doesn't detract to the point that it hurts the taste I will be merciful.

This is actually quite drinkable as well for a beer of it's magnitude. I probably won't buy another flat bottle, but I did happen to enjoy it quite a bit. I just want to wait until this beer is in it's true form before I give it another shot.

alcstradamus, Oct 29, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My earlier review was deleted(host error) so here goes my redo from notes: Served chilled in a goblet (10oz) at the Drafting room. Thanks to tb69.

A - A turbid dark walnut brown, w/ no head at all. The ale appears like iced coffee except thicker - still opaque appearance

S - The nose has very boozy impact w/ lots of vanilla and an almost custard-like aroma w/ mild toffee and woody nutty vanilla scent w/ an accent of molasses

M - The feel has very mild carbonation as expected from the appearance. The texture is viscous and sweet/syrupy w/ a mild toasted accent. There is mild astringent and alcohol tannic notes from the wood and finishes w/ a mild residually dark malt sweet note

T - The tastes starts with dark brown sugar and caramel with a subtle dry dark tobacco note and dark toast crust w/ creamy and sugary malts. The flavor is warming w/ dry nut and vanilla from the oak w/ alcohol high in the flavor profile. The taste has a toffee/cinnamon accent w/ mild butter notes and toasted nuts w/ light pepper from the hops. The taste has burnt caramel lasting into the finish w/ a very dry grain accent and prominent alcohol flavor as it nears cellar temp.

D - Definitely not a beer I consider highly drinkable, but considering the style it is for me. I consider it great since it is so complex but really one is plenty as it comes off sweet from such low carbonation and the 12% is apparent w/ a tannic bourbon hint. I am glad I tried this and recommend it if you see it -don't hesitate!

Slatetank, Oct 29, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

A: Dark, dark brown. Slight mahogany hues around the edges. No head, skim, foam, residue, lacing etc. Perfectly still looking.

S: Massive bourbon blast. Roasted malts. Oak and vanilla.

T: The taste is a different story as the bourbon really overpowered all the subtle flavors that make bourbon barrel-aged beers special. I just couldn't find the things that could have made this beer special.

M: Lightly carbonated (but in a good way). Nice booze burn at 12%.

D: In the end, there is just too much bourbon coming through in the flavor to make this more than a once in a blue moon beer. It took me quite a bit of time to finish my five ounce pour. Glad to get this on the cheap as opposed to shelling out for a big bottle that I'd struggle to finish.

callmemickey, Oct 27, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4%

On tap at The Drafting Room in Exton, a 10oz serving.

A- Angels share looks dark almost black coming off the tap. Once it's in front of me i'm looking at adeeply brown liquid with just a bit of light able to shine through. Nothing on top instead of some caramel colored scattered pieces of foam that does not make a cap. No lacing.

S- Angel's share smells like Bourbon County Stout to me with more emphasis on the oak/wood. Im getting a ton of bourbon backed with vanilla and a ton of malt background giving off toffee. Hops dont come into play at all, but im sure some were used in the making. A slight smell of coffee in here as well.

T- Wow, If you like bourbon, get a hold of this one because it's the main contender. A big taste of bourbon when str8 off of the tap, you need to warm this to get the full experience. That includes big vanilla and wood from the barrel giving off some oak as well. The wood/oak comes out of this more than any other BB beer i've had, it's huge. In the middle a few styles of malt make for more sweetness plus some coffee and dark chocolate as well. This actually reminds me of a imperial brown ale with tons of bourbon. Alcohol is not totally hidden.

M&D- This one is thick and chewy. The feel is a kinda hot on the way down but that is expected just from the hugeness of this beer. It probably would of been much hotter if not for the huge body and malt build. The carbonation is low but not lifeless off of the tap, I can't comment on the bottle version as I don't have one. This is a huge beer that demands time be put into it. A slow sipper for sure. After I was done my glass, I really did not want to indulge with any more.

BARFLYB, Oct 26, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at the Drafting Room in Exton during their Lost Abbey/Port Brewing event.

The beer pours a rich dark brown color with very good head retention and lots of sticky lacing. The beer is very viscuous appearing, looking almost like dark chocolate mud. The nose is very rich, sweet and attractive, with considerable chocolate, brown sugar and molasses. There's also some underlying spice, which includes a hint of black pepper. Flavors replicate the nose, but with a bit more hoppy bitterness then I recall from the bottled version. This helps to cut the sweetness somewhat, though this is still a very rich, sweet tasting beer. Mouthfeel is rich, very full, and long. The carbonation is fairly low (nothing like the bottles of brandy AS however), which adds to the smoothness on the palate. Drinkability is OK, though you can tell the alcohol is up there, and it wears on you after a while.

An excellent beer (of course), though without doubt a little bit goes a long way.

John_M, Oct 26, 2009

Pours a deep brown/black, nose is alcohol, dark fruits, and heavenly goodness. Taste is dark fruit, caramel, and something else I can't put my finger on. This is definitely a sipper, but one that is lovely to experience. Despite some alcohol in the nose, it is hidden well at serving temp, but emerges to create more hotness as it warms.

squaremile, Oct 18, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

On tap @ Local Option

Pitch black, with a light brown, foamy head.

Smells divine! Very sweet with oaken qualities. There is a bourbon bite along with some vanilla.

It tastes even better! There is a strong alcohol presence but the bourbon isn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. There are dark fruit skins here, some vanilla notes and chocolate.

This is a sipper but just a little thin in the mouthfeel for me. Also, you cannot do more than 2 helpings of this in a night. It'll floor you... as it did me. Just an awesome, all-around beer!

rudylaw, Oct 17, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

I poured this from a 750ml brown bottle (2008 vintage) into a St. Bernardus chalice glass. As I eased the cork from this bottle I could tell there was no pressure inside the bottle helping to push the cork out...and alas this turned out to be one of the infamous uncarbonated examples of Angel's Share.

A= Poured a slightly murky blackish brown color. With a super hard pour I was not able raise any sort of head. Completely still beer. No lacing at all.

S= The aroma of this ale was very boozy and filled with dark, sweet, malty notes. There were also some nice vanilla and oak character in there as well, but this was harder to find in the wash of bourbon.

T= Similar to the nose. Started off with sweet dark malts and caramel then the bourbon kicked in and brought some light vanilla with it. No hops to speak of. Lots of alcohol throughout leading into a somewhat hot finish. Lots of chest-warming alcohol aftereffects.

MF= Medium bodied, with zero carbonation. The flatness gave this a thin and watery feel.

D= The no carbonation thing is a huge flaw in this beer, but it had its moments. The ABV makes this a sipper either way. I would love to try this again if it was properly carbonated.

spointon, Oct 11, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

375-ml 2010 vintage. Poured into tulip.

A- Pitch black with a hint of brown. Hard pour yields a half finger bubbly off white head. Dies down to a bubbly ring of foam around the edge of the glass. Little spots of lacing on the way down.

S- First up is dark fruits (raisins and plumbs). Bourbon, vanilla, oak, and alcohol.

T- There is oak, raisins, plumbs, and bourbon up front. Caramel, toffee, vanilla, and fudge cake. A lingering oak/vanilla flavor.

M- Heavy and thick with light carbonation, and some warmth from the alcohol.

D- Quite good for the abv. A delicious beer. The 2010 is a great improvement over the 2008.

750-ml 2008 vintage. Poured into tulip.

A- Very dark brown. No head. No lacing.

S- Very sweet. Vanilla, oak, a little chocolate, and definitely some bourbon.

T- Dark fruits (cherry/raisin), vanilla mid palate, bourbon flavor cleans out the back end.

M- No carbonation. This really shouldn't be classified as an American Strong Ale. It is much more akin to an old ale. Quite similar to The Bruery's Papier.

D- Probably not gonna be sessioning this one anytime soon (not to mention how much that would cost).

$30 is pretty steep, but if you like port wines or like other beers like Papier this is right up your alley.

billshmeinke, Oct 07, 2009

Thanks to concours95682, for the flat abbey

A - Pours dark mahogany, with a 1/2 finger of head. It dissipates instantly with no lacing or carbonation. Please Tomme, check your bottling line. There's probably a flaw in your physical sanitation that is causing the problem.

S - Chocolate, light roast coffee, bourbon, oak and vanilla. Wow, very good.

T - Heavier notes of dark chocolate, coffee, bourbon, oak and vanilla. As it warms up there is lots of caramel and butterscotch flavors, appears to have gone through a 120 minute boil at least.

M - Light to medium in body, malt dominated, and smooth. Where's the alcohol? Amazing for a 12% beer.

D - A very complex beer and good overall. With some carbonation and a heavier body, this beer would receive perfect scores.

MisterClean, Oct 06, 2009