The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

thanks to Jason for bringing this 2008 bottle (i think it was 2008)

poured deep black and rather thick, i had a trace of carbonation but overall it was hard to find.

giant scents of bourbon mainly with alcohol and chocolate behind it.

mainly bourbon. there were faint hints of chocolate, some light vanilla, and maybe some oak. there was some serious heat on this, so alcohol dominated and as it warmed, it was even more dominant.

mainly a syrupy feel however there was a burning and warming sensation from the booze. the top of my tongue suffered as well as my stomach. this was a very slow sipper. i was not getting as much burn as others.

this was very good although it needs more time to mellow and allow the flavors to blend together. there was far too much bourbon in this that it took away from everything else. i can imagine another year+, this would be amazing.

hooliganlife, Aug 02, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a very dark ruby, near black with a medium sized off white head. Aroma was strong bourbon and vanilla. flavor was vanilla, oak, bourbon, candi sugar, and caramel. A bit over carbonated, slight hint of the abv but not bad. This would have been much better without the explosive carbonation, but still a pretty solid beer.

pepsican, Jul 29, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2008 vintage.

Served between 45-55 degrees as the tasting progressed.

Appearance of flat coca cola.

Smells of smoke and vanilla.

Full, sweet, and warm mouthfeel.

Tastes of vanilla, bourbon, and caramel. Only enough bitterning hops to balance. No hop flavor or aroma gets through. Wood and smoke linger through, some fruit in the middle.

Almost flat. I will remember to make sure to split this bottle at least 4 ways. More than a small glass is overwhelming.

joebrewer, Jul 21, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

2009 bottle. Pours dark brown to black with a head that dissipates quickly. Bourbon and sweet burnt caramel aromas linger in the room. Some fig, maple, and oak in there as well. Mouthfeel is silky/syrupy very, very light carbonation but not entirely flat like the brandy. The alcohol is a little more noticable than I like, but still enjoyable. Flavors are like the aroma with a pronounced bourbon whisky flavor. Why can't they just get some more carbonation in here and it would be a phenominal brew.

mbrasi, Jul 20, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7%

Whew. I split the 2008 750ml bottle with tahlstro, his review below. Poured into a Chimay goblet and away we go. By far the most expensive single beer I've ever had and I've been working up the words and feelings on this for the past little while to ascertain how I truly felt about it.

Appearance: Unbeknownst to me at the time, the 2008 bottles have some carbonation issues. I poured it hard on the refill and barely got anything whatsoever. The dark hues and slightest head are beautiful, but in comparison to the frothy, dark-tan head that other reviews here mention in other bottles / ages, this was a little disappointing.

Smell: Decidedly not disappointing. Huge notes of Bourbon and major anise and barley up front, with a alcoholic burn as well. Vanilla, coffee, and chocolate are all there as well.

Taste: The most complex and flavorful beer I've probably ever had. It's such a beast I'm not quite sure if I should even be rating it since I don't really have anything else to compare it to, perhaps save for something like a bourbon-lite with huge undertones of barley, coffee, toffee, and anise. As a IPA/DIPA drinker for the most part, this was just such a heavy-hitting, alcoholic ale that I still am reeling from it's monster taste.

Mouthfeel: Warm and creamy, with almost no carbonation. This drinks syrupy almost, and not really in a bad way. It's beers like this that almost cease being beers and really become its own beast.

Drinkability: Low overall, but for a 12, what do you expect? It's all of that and more. If you can, agitate and roll the 2008s for a few days to try and get some carbonation in there, it probably would help the overall appearance and maybe even the taste. All I know is that this beer is a monster, and a hell of an animal to conquer.

nomomentwasted, Jul 08, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pours a deep brown cola color with no head whatsoever. The only slightest bit of carbonation was a few tiny bubbles around the edge that barely made the rise to the top.

S: Sweet toffee and caramel candied malts aromas lay beneath the big nose of oak, vanilla, and bourbon.

T: Big big bourbon with just a touch of the candy malts and a bit of oak not much else makes it through the bourbon.

M: Full bodied with a nice oily slickness left behind. I only wish it had a little carbonation to perk this up.

D: I like the beer itself but am a bit let down overall. I enjoy a big bourbon filled beer, which this certainly delivers on but I thought the carbonation issue was fixed with this release. Maybe I got a bum bottle, which I hope it was but I expected a bit more out of this beer and it didn't deliver like I thought it would.

drgonzo3705, Jul 05, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2008 (last years) vintage (not the new release). 375ml bottle into DFH snifter.

A - Open with a loud "pop". Poured aggressively so there was a huge head. Black with a frothy tan head that leaves a good amount of lacing behind. The head is very sticky and hangs on to the side of the glass.

S - Dark fruit, boozy bourbon, chocolate. Smells very smooth and complex...a lot more then I can describe in a review. A sweet smell fills the nose after the initial notes fade.

T - Wow. Very good. Plums, raisins, milk chocolate, malts, dark cherry, smooth bourbon flavor. Better then I expected, truthfully.

M - Medium bodied, fizzy carbonation, rich, creamy, smooth. Great to swirl around in your mouth and savor.

D - Very smooth for the style and barrel aging. Easy to drink, alcohol is smooth and subtle, very smooth. Lost Abby hits a HR on this one. Very good.

Sean9689, Jul 04, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Extra special thanks to Kels for sharing this the other night -- easily one of the most amazing beers I've ever had.

Appearance: Pours a very deep brown that is toffee in color with a huge 3+ finger head that is that (the carbonation is so impressive in this beer that when uncorked, a fog rolls out of the bottle and looks like something out of a mad scientist's lab); head slowly dwindles to a full, thick and chewy skim.

Smell: Toffee, vanilla, woody oak and alcohol -- smell is very sweet; essence of some burnt sugar maltiness and even some chocolate in there as well.

Taste: Holy crap. Simply amazing. Almost exactly like the smell with the toffee, vanilla, burnt sugar maltiness and hints of sweet milky chocolate; slight hints of woodiness with the bourbonesque alcohol that runs a little hot, but still very tasty and well blended with the other strong flavors.

Mouthfeel: Very warm and tingly from the alcohol; carbonation is more mild in the mouthfeel than in the appearance and it comes across as smoother than I would have expected; body is a little thick and chewy -- sticky and leaves a mild coating.

Drinkability: Too high for something that clocks in at 12% ABV. The taste is amazing, the body is warm and smooth, the smell is super enticing and matches the flavors perfectly... Quite possibly one of the best beers... EVER.

bamadog, Jul 01, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Wow - big thanks goes out to my brother pwoods for this early birthday gift. I'm glad he knows what he's doing:) Shared with him and bamadog this weekend.

Appearance: Pours into the snifter softly, but still creates a whole glassful of foam. It's a creamy shade of tan with loads of airy bubbles. It fades quickly, retaining at a significant skim with lots of smooth, blanketing lacing. Liquid is a dark caramelized brown, viscous and opaque, with slight reddish highlights. The lacing is so thick and clingy I am somewhat tempted to lick it.

Smell: Smell is full of oaky bourbon, chewy/sticky malts, deep roasted and nutty grains and a slightly sticky fruitiness. This combines with a sharp punch of isopropyl alcohol in the background. Big is the best word I have to describe the smell.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is very big, but pretty smooth overall. The malts are chewy and nutty and are well-paired with a deeply toasted grain. The bourbon is sweetly woody with a clear vanilla presence. Heat is excellent in the mouth, throat and chest. This one drinks like a bourbon and tastes like a beer - absolutely delicious, and everything I could have hoped for. Caramelly malt and slight raisin sweetness. Feel is very usually light for the big flavors or for a strong ale in general thanks to the exceptional carbonation. Moderate texture, very smooth. Drying aftertaste leaves pleasant vapor in the palate.

Drinkability: Way higher than it should be. Drinks so surprisingly smoothly with great balance of flavors. Definitely worth it and lives up to the hype.

kels, Jun 30, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

It arrived in my latest Sinners club box(2009). Put in fridge for a while to cool things down.

I have to wedge the cork out of the bottle and....pop! The cork hit the ceiling!

It pours a very very dark brown with a small and quickly disappearing head of foam. Now there's just a ring of foam around the glass and no lacing.

The smell is big bourbon, with dark fruit, vanilla, more bourbon, and some sweetish caramel like malt notes. It smells very inviting though I do notice the ample alcohol in this monster of a brew.

The taste starts with the bourbon goodness followed by mucho malt sweetness, vanilla and oaky tones, some toffee, and both milk(sweet) and dark(bitter) chocolate. Wow! This has some killer flavours and I can definitely feel some warming from the alcohol but hell, I'm home and I'm not planning on going anywhere tonight so I can sit and sip and enjoy.;^)

The mouthfeel is medium bordering on thick and the carbonation is light but works nicely. It finishes full of bourbon with a bit of bitterness. I think this is another brew that a wine fancier could enjoy. Hell, I betcha a Bourbon drinker would find this right up his/her alley.

Drinkability? This one is not for timid! The full flavour demands your attention but take it slow and easy, dagnabit, so you can really enjoy the session. That being said, the 375ml didn't take me all that long to finish. Dammit.

Edit: 2010 Edition

A small pop when I removed the cork, it has the same colour but there's over an inch of tannish foam and plenty of lacing. No comparison to the 2009.

Smell and taste are, thankfully, right up there with my review of 2009. No change.

Mouthfeel gets a bump thanks to the slight but still very noticeable increase in carbonation. Just a better mouthfeel overall.

Drinkability? It's still a strong brew at 12%abv and there is nothing one can do about that but like the 2009, it is just as good a sipper. No change.

Bitterbill, Jun 23, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

My 100th review needed to be special, so here it is, courtesy of piclee, thanks for the trade (a while back now). This also my home beer, before heading off to my birthday party, what great timing! I have stored this one in a fridge, in a paper bag, in my basement, to make sure it would stay in as good of condition as possible. I am not let down.
Pours a deep brown color with tan colored head resting atop. Within the dark brew is some slight, murky particles. I am a little surprised by how dark it is, to be honest, but the head, and associated pop when uncorked relieved all carbonation concerns I had.
The bourbon aroma is right there, but it is not alone, as other bourbon barrel aged beers can be. There is a sweet caramel and dark fruit background that blends together quite nicely in this brew.
That taste follows suit, as far as complexity goes. The bourbon is pronounced, but this beer is far more complex than that. That sweet caramel smell is there in the flavor, along with brown sugar, I think, its not all caramel for sure. A slight vanilla hint, adds to the sweetness, as well. The dark fruits, raisins and prunes, add to the cornucopia of flavors in this beer.
The carbonation gives it a definitive zest in your mouth, but I must commend them on concealing the boozy alcohol that would normally accompany a 12% bourbon barrel aged beer.
Again, well concealed, so incredibly drinkable for the style, but to drink too quickly would probably rob you of enjoying all that is going on in this beer. I see now, why this beer is worthy of such lofty praise.

bhalter8, Jun 20, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +14%

Imagine my surprise when tonight I was presented the opportunity to have Angel Share Bourbon Barrel... Frankly, I didn't expect it and was brimming with anticipation.

We enjoyed this in the proper Lost Abbey Glass. The beer pours with a frothy/effervescent light tan head that shows some initial retention, but then bows to gravity. A small amount of foam does ring the glass. Later there was the lightest touch of lacing, but not much at all. The beer was a murky deep brown color. Almost a purplish tone to it... But not as pronounced ass some Belgian Quads...

Aroma was very interesting. Lots of vanilla and a touch of sharp, acidic tone that almost forecasts a sour flavor to come. (It never came)

O.K., so now I understand the reason why this is so highly thought of. What a beer. Vanilla, brown sugar, maple, over and over again. The bourbon flavor is so smooth and prevalent it's not even funny. The complexity is amazing. There are deep fruits, but they don't pop out as a single fruit to me. I could list a dark fruit or two, but I won't since none claimed center stage. You get a sense of the alcohol, but not heat. Just a warming glow.

Silky smooth and it gets smoother as it warms. Certainly a BIG mouth feel, but one that you savor....

The drinkability is insane. Savor and enjoy.

This is on the short list of the best beers I've had.

Reagan1984, Jun 16, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a very dark brown with a medium frothy lasting beige head and lacing. Aroma is fruity sweet with heavy amounts of caramel malt, rasin, plum, licorice, bourbon, oak and light chocolate. Flavor is sweet with a nice medley of vanilla, chocolate, caramel and infused wood. Full bodied, somewhat oily texture. Very little carbonation, finishes mildly alcoholic.

kmeves, May 28, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks for the opportunity to try this one Dennis! The controversial Lost Abbey, which for the record has been pretty good to me so far.

Pours a very dark red/brown, looks black without light. Head produces a belgian loking foamy goodness, mocha in color.

Scent is strong bourbon up front. Smell some chocolate, rasins, and caramel in there. I'd like to try a non barrel aged version of this, the sheer strength of the bourbon overshadows what smells pretty damn interesting, but I digress, it still smells very good.

Taste is not nearly as boozy as the smell, and actually makes for a nice concoction. I believe this is from the 2008 batch, and the little bit of age has taken the booze to the back, some very nice roasted and chocolate malts in front. Damn great tasting drink. I didn't expect to like this one as much as I do.

Mouth is a slight issue, while the body is adequately thick at around a medium on the scale, it is a tad too bubbly. I may actually prefer the "flat" brandy version from this year. I rank just above average because while it is distracting, it doesn't ruin the drink by any means.

I curve this one high and will seek out some more.

sonicdescent, May 27, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Opaque mahogany with no highlights whatsoever, despite bright morning sunshine behind the snifter. The pale caramel colored crown filled most of the glass on the pour, indicating plenty of carbonation. The lightly creamy foam is melting in fine fashion, leaving a delicate collar of lace in the process. The second pour looks even better than the first.

The outstanding aroma is redolent of dark chocolate-covered caramels, bourbon whiskey, oily coconut shavings and loads of vanilla and toasted oak. If things open up a little more with warming, a perfect score isn't out of the question.

Once I tasted how great the Brandy Barrel-Aged version was, I knew the Bourbon Barrel-Aged brew would be something special as well. Especially since bourbon is my favorite spirit (along with single malt Scotch whiskey). Too bad there's only 375 ml in this bottle because I could sip this beauty all day and half the night, never tiring of attempting to appreciate its complexities.

First of all, the bourbon character is front and center. That said, the base beer comes through loud and clear. A perfect amount of time in the barrels is the obvious reason why those flavors are so well-balanced and so well-integrated. Warming is definitely making a bold beer even bolder... and even better.

The insanely complex flavor profile is made up of gooey caramels dipped in bittersweet chocolate, raisins and figs soaked in Kentucky's finest, sticky dates, sweetened coconut and a generous splash of vanilla. There's also a fair amount of bitterness that keeps the sweetness from running roughshod. As in all great high-ABV beer, alcohol adds power, intensity and a pleasantly spreading warmth.

There were slightly too many bubbles early, and there are exactly the right amount now, 30 minutes after cork extraction. More full and more sticky would have been fine, but I'm more than okay with the lightly supple silkiness that greets my every sip.

The Angel's Share (Bourbon Barrel) is yet one more amazing ale in a long line of amazing ales from The Lost Abbey. Here's hoping that Tomme gets the kinks worked out and is able to ensure that all future releases are properly bubbled, like this one. Even though my glass is now sadly empty, this was a hell of a ride that I can't wait to take again.

BuckeyeNation, May 16, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

2008
Popped it open, little carbonation and hardly any bubbles or head on the pur. Looked sad! Poured a deep amber color with reddish and brown hues to it. Nose was flatter than I expected due to carbonation I am sure. But the bourbon was there for sure as was brown sugar, candied fruits, caramel, vanilla, oak. Taste was strong on bourbon and despite crappy carbonation it still tasted good. Mouthfeel was not has creamy and good but nevertheless it was still tasty.

barleywinefiend, May 13, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap @ Lost Abbey / Port Brewing's 3rd Anniversary party. 4oz taster. Tasting notes from 5/9/2009. 2009 vintage.

Appearance: Pitch black, with a light brown head. The head moves very well with lacing. No sign of the "flat share" here. Being on tap probably makes up for it. Very nice visually.

Smell: Wow -- complex. It's hard to figure out the nose, based on how unique it is. There is a definite sweet and oaky smell that goes throughout the nose. The smell of bourbon is very apparent. There are hints of oatmeal somewhere in the complexity. There are sweet, slightly floral tones throughout the nose. Very complex, very unique, and quite good. ONe of the few 5.0 rating beers for smell.

Taste: Just as complex as the nose. Starts off very sweet, with a strong bourbon taste. Hints of oak. Finishes bitter with a strong alcohol bite. The aftertaste is definitely is filled with bourbon. Complex and tasty -- I like it. One of the few 5.0 rating beers for taste.

Mouthfeel: There is a pretty complex, oaky, bourbon feel to this beer (if such a thing exists). There is a well executed bitter taste/feel to this beer. Heavy bodied.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipping beer. The alcohol is harsh and very apparent. Definitely a sipping beer and probably is one of those single bottle beers (if that). Tastes like it would complement food very well. Savor this beer.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers, but again, you can't drink too much in a single sitting. This probably will age very well also.

WaXHeLL, May 12, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Cheers to bennetj17 for this brew that has been on my Wants for a long time. 375ml bottle from my cellar. The beer overflows with foam upon uncorking but I only lost a bit of it. No lacing on the glass. Dark amber in color. Smells of bourbon, carmel, and something sweet. Tastes mostly of carmel & the bourbon. Mouthfeel is a little less than I expected & if anything there is too much carbonation (a stark contrast in comparison to the Brandy version). Drinkable even with the ABV. I am glad I had a chance to try this brew.

Cheers.

SkinnyElvis, May 10, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a rich chocolate brown with a great deal of suspended yeasty sediment. Head immediately dissipates to nothing

Aroma is alcohol soaked dark fruit. Massive caramel malt and chocolate sweetness. Bourbon comes on strong in a pleasantly effervescent fashion.

Taste is impressively complex. Caramel malt, chocolate, brown sugar, and molasses up front. Then the warming bourbon and dry woody oak take over, followed by dark fruit - plum, date, and raisin. Finish is yeasty with unidentifiable spices and lingering alcohol.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Full bodied with touch oil slickness.

A very big, and complex brew. Flavor is pleasantly unified and interesting enough to find something new with each sip. Bourbon comes on strong, but doesn't overpower the massive caramel and dark fruit sweetness. Certainly a must try.

Blakaeris, Apr 28, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured a thick and chewy looking dark brown with lots of sedement and just a hint of off white head.

The smell was huge, a giant vanilla and oak whiskey smell with hints of alcohol sweetness along with a big dark fruity nose with some cherries and raisons.

The taste was mellow and smooth after the assault the aroma gave my nose. Subtle malt sweetness mixing in with a nice musty yeast flavor along with a light bit of vanilla and cedar with a touch of raison and a slightly earthy and bitter hops in the finish.

The mouthfeel is warm and thick with a long lingering resiny finish carrying the flavor on and on.

A very nice sipper of a strong ale, something I would drink plenty of if the price wasn't quite so high and availability was a little greater, still it will be a very nice treat from time to time.

bashiba, Apr 28, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Got in a trade with kinnaird...thanks for everything John!!!

I popped this open at DLD and had a couple of people around me become very happy with letting them sample...beer karma is good.

A-Poured into a Dogfish snifter. Pours a nice deep dark brown color almost black but when the light hits it you can see dark brown. Nice brown/tan head that went away rather quickly and left nice lacing on the sides.

S-From the first smell I could just pickup a sweet smelling bourbon. One I let it breathe for about a minute I could get more complex smells of vanilla and some fruitiness to it as well. Also the malts come in to play but only as a backbone I think. Just so much to take in.

T-This is one of the best tasting barrel aged beers I have ever had. Kind of on a sweet taste that comes out of nowhere which goes with the vanilla that I smelled earlier. The roasted malts come through nicely along with a nice touch of fruit and figs. The bourbon comes through with this but it is not overpowering at all. The warmer it becomes the better I think it is becoming.

M-For such a complex tasting beer it has a nice mouthfeel. A little on the heavy side but the carbination makes up for it very nicely. Coats the palate but doesn't leave a lingering feel after it is gone.

D- This beer is dangerous. I mean dangerous. It is so drinkable and I could get enough of it. The ABV is very hidden and I was sad once I took my last sip. I wish I could get my hands on more of this.

alleykatking, Apr 26, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7%

This one is the 750ml corked and caged. Pours a deep mahogany color with a full finger wispy light tan head that fades quickly to surface. Thin but significant patterns of Belgian lacing as you go. The smell is amazing!! Right out of the bottle, the first pour reveals big bourbon notes. As it warms the aroma becomes fruitier and sweeter, brown sugar from a far with a berry tartness further in. The mouth feel is bright and tangy, medium-light bodied, tart with a balanced creamy texture. The flavor is crazy unique; tart apple and berries, bourbon and vanilla with fig and notes of molasses. The experience lingers nicely! One of the best drinkers around!! It goes in a flash while you attempt to consider all of its complexities.

jjayjaye, Apr 25, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -10%

This bottle is definitely under-carbonated, but the firm pour still elicits a cap of large bubbles. These settle down quickly, and the alcohol keeps the lace from settling on the glass. Amber brown color that settles into a deep brown in the glass, only lightened by a certain amount of ruby highlighting. I would hope for more carbonation.

The nose is quite vinous, with a lot of darkly fruity, bourbon-accented notes. Vanilla, woodiness, and a bit of diacetyl all make an appearance. There's a lot going on, and the power is good.

The flavor is strong and full. Complex notes of butterscotch, toasted malt, caramel and Goji berry run deeply through the tongue. Definitely a sipper, although 12+% doesn't weight quite as much in the mouth as I thought it might. The Bourbon is present, with lots of vanilla, hints of chocolate, a spicy oak pepper, and a mix of dessert-type wines. The mouthfeel is a little light given the overall size of this thing.

Underneath is a somewhat musty flavor, like its been aged, but this is a 2008 bottle. Very intriguing and complex notes, although a little bit "off". Not overly inviting or easy to drink, but a lot of fun and definitely off the beaten path. I expect nothing less from the Lost Abbey.

BretSikkink, Apr 20, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

mikesgroove sent this with Fight Club: Project Mayhem BIF. Thank you so much Mike.

12.7 oz corked and caged bottle. I split this with my wife. I'm such a nice guy. Once the cork popped, there was a slow gusher of foam. I poured into an Ommegang tulip. Very active head for a higher ABV beer. Color is a dark khaki, very slow to recede. Color is a murky chocolate brown.

Smell is WOW!. Very sweet, but never cloying. There is toasted coconut, brown sugar, wood, smoke. Very bold aroma. Taste is equally bold. Coconut is really standing out. That is a rare flavor in a beer. I've only come across it a few times. As it warms more spices come through. Dark candied ginger, still very woody.

Mouthfeel is a little on the light side, and the carbonation could calm down a little bit. However the flavor and smell makes up for any faults there. This is an absolutely fantastic beer.

Blipped "Angel" by Massive Attack

bort11, Apr 19, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from the standard Lost Abbey 750ml into a crystal goblet. Cork popped with a little tiny plunk, kinda cute actually.

A - Had just a thin sheet of head on it. Not quite as flat as previous reports had led me to believe, but nowhere near an acceptable level of carbonation. Color is great... murky amber, very ominous-looking American barleywine. Lovely.

S - I'm having this pretty warm (probably hovering around 55-60 degrees) and the alcohol smell is really insanely strong, but is tempered by a little bourbon backbone that makes it not offensive. Very sharp, spicy, boozy, malty sweet and dank.

T - WOW. Even for a prematurely released brew, the taste of this one knocks my socks off. Strong, STRONG cassis notes, boozy bourbon kick, fiery alcohol warmth, and a really unique, delicious caramel finish. Even with all the overpowering bourbon/caramel flavors, I can pick out interesting estery flourishes that separate this one from the teeming masses. Banana, Mexican chocolate, and especially oak are all very present in the finish.

M - Just short of cough syrup. Barely prickly. Not exactly medicinal, but certainly not very quaffable. Alcohol is nigh offensive on the throat. Very very powerful.

D - I have to struggle with this one. Definitely a sipper in its current state.

Overall: Really, I'm not as pissed off at this beer as previous reports might indicate. They released it very green, to be sure, but it's kinda interesting to taste such a great beer in such an infantile stage. The predominant thought I had while drinking this is "Wow, once this grows up a little bit it will literally be one of the best beers I've ever had". I think that says something.

jim1904, Apr 11, 2009