The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,637 | Reviews: 658

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I did not expect that. I did not expect this to be so good. I don't know why. I just came in with low standards and was blown away. This is easily one of my favorite beers now. Had on tab, and I own bottles of the 2011 and 2013 vintages; I'm looking forward to opening these.

A - Not too impressive for a world class beer. Dark, thin, a hint of red rose and maroon coloring when held up to the light.

S - Roses, sweet bourbon, dark cherries, a little stout smell. Instantly knew my expectations were about to be destroyed when I smelled this one.

T - This took me to another place. Ripped me from reality. Tastes about as good as it smells. If you let it fall to the sides of your tongue you taste the bourbon. Sweet, home-made chocolate. Almost a stout flavor as well. This tastes great. EDIT: Oh, a little bit of port. I noticed this when I was writing the "Overall" rating up.

M - Slightly sticky. Some spilled over the side of the glass and felt just as sticky on my glass as it did in my mouth. Runs straight over the tongue and into the back of your throat, almost challenges you to put it in a shot glass and throw one back.

O - Very impressed. If you can find a bottle under $15, I would recommend picking it up. Easy buy. I could drink this all night, and it is the perfect post-dinner beer, like a port. Easy to drink despite how chewy it is to me. One of my favorite beers.

Because of Angel's Share on tap, I picked up 2 bottles (2011, 2013), and a bottle of 2011 Deliverance, which I am excited to try.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter.

Pours a dark brown a couple of shades shy of black. Nice active dark tan head giving evidence that this is well carbonated unlike the 2011 vintage I had two years ago.

Aroma is big barrel notes of oak, bourbon, vanilla, and char joined by a chewy Barleywine base showcasing figs, dates, raisins, caramel, and cocoa powder. The aroma is huge and intoxicating. A bit heavy on the barrel but that's not really an issue.

The palate gets struck with a more balanced beast as the barrel character plays well with the dark fruits, caramelized sugars, and powdered chocolate notes. There is booziness but it helps counteract the sweetness. Oak tannins come out in the end to lend a nice touch to the vanilla and charred raisin aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. A little light but goes with the style. It's not intended to be heavy like a stout. It's more like a creamy light liqueur.

Overall a very nice beer and certainly the carbonation does wonders to the experience. The flavors are very well integrated and drinks rather smooth for the abv. I still prefer Deliverance to this considering it has a bit fuller mouthfeel and more depth of flavor. My belief is this has become a bit under appreciated. Though not a shocker considering the price tag, but still not a beer that's talked about much like it used to be.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours a very dark cola colored brown. Very opaque with little to no red highlights often found at the edges of the glass of such a dark beer. Nice thick mocha colored head that retains its size for a surprisingly long time despite the alcohol content.

The scent is amazing. Notes of treacle, molasses, raisin, plum, vanilla, and caramel. Lots going on there, but each with proper balance and not a hint of alcohol burn. A very enjoyable scent that is stunning.

The first impression once tasting is a silky smooth mouthfeel that is pure satin on the palette. The flavor begins with a cocoa and caramel bittersweet and progresses to the notes of dark fruit and treacle found in the nose. Nice finish of vanilla with just a hint of warming alcohol.

Altogether this is a very intense, yet balanced beer. A true sipper and well worth the long wait for the barrelled beer.

4.81/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

For $14.99, this beer better be good! I haven't had a lot of beers from The Lost Abbey, but what I have had I have really enjoyed. This one is special, because it comes from our trade with my buddy Erick. He provided us a ton of bottles on the list, so you will hear me talking about him quite a bit. This beer also has a high ABV. For that much, it better!

This beer is aged in oak barrels. That is such a trend right now in craft beer. Just because you have an empty oak barrel doesn't mean you need to age your beer in it! But from what I hear, this is a beer that is worth every penny and worth every drop. Cool story on where they get the name, too. This one is for you, Erick!

In the Glass: The beer is flat and looks like a flat soda in the glass. That doesn't upset me, as this beer should be somewhat flat. I don't want a barrel aged beer with too many bubbles. There isn't much head, and the lace is pretty boring. It does leave a thin layer of sticky residue on the side of the glass, but nothing to write home about.

Nose: I poured the beer and before I could turn around, Sheryl goes, "Smells like wine." I guess I know what to expect when I smell this beer! She's right, though. It does smell like wine. Imagine a nice woody Merlot. The beer is ice cold, but I wanted to try it both cold and at room temperature. I am not going to wait until it heats up to drink it. I am impatient! Cheers!

Flavor: This beer is a seasonal release from The Lost Abbey, and it did hit store shelves here in the Valley earlier this year. However, before I even knew it was here it was gone. At $14.99 a bottle, it better be delicious. Let's find out.

Oh. My. GOD! That's not beer. Nope. That is NOT beer. That is heaven in a glass. I guess the name Angel's Share is fitting. If this is what the angels are drinking, I hope to become one when I am dead and gone. There is SO much complexity here. You can definitely taste the high ABV, but then a nice layer of sweetness sets in and the alcohol heat is a thing of the past.

You can really taste the barrels in this beer, which is something not a lot of barrel aged beers can say. I bet this beer would age really well, too. That is what I was hoping it would taste like. Holy crap, that's good! For a brewery that is somewhat new to the craft beer scene, this is a great example of what makes a brewery succeed. i know why they limit the release on this, but I want a keg of this in my belly right now!!!

Mouthfeel: It's flat. It's also thick. There is a thin line of bubble around the edges, but I am focused on the sweetness in this release. I mean, wow. I am having a hard time finding the words to say to explain this beer. There is just so much flavor. As you swallow, a nice subtle dryness sets in and leave your palate just happy longing for another sip. I would love to see how this ages. Imagine this in 3, 5, even 7 year from now. What a treat!

Aftertaste: I wish the aftertaste lasted a little bit longer. It hangs around for a few minutes but it is not as intense as I had hoped. I bet this would be a great beer to pair a nice cigar with. We are planning a long weekend to San Diego this fall, and The Lost Abbey will be a stop on our list. I can't to see what else this brewery can do.

Erick, thank you so much for making this beer a reality. This is SO good. I hope you, living in San Diego, get the chance to try this and many more rare bottles from The Lost Abbey. I am jealous that you are so close to a brewery that can produce beers this delicious. I don't want it to end!

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey