The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,684 | Reviews: 668
4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

2007.

Thanks go out to Shane for this bottle, an extra to beat all extras. I still owe that dude more than the, uh, Oatis that was my Cherry Adam extra in our trade. Bygones.

After reading myriad threads about this beer, I started to think obsessively about the bottle I got 4 or 5 months ago. With the riff-raff / brouhaha / shitstorm that surrounded the most recent release I figured it more than an apt time to stop imagining the beer, wondering when I should present it to a crowd of beer geeks, waiting for a solar eclipse, etc, and got down to drinking it.

Nervously, I thought about it from time to time - all the reviews made it seem like such a crapshoot - and when I finally decided to pul the trigger, it chilled all day at low temps. I popped it, and to my happy surprise it was not a gusher and it was not [at all] dead. Go.

Just a gorgeous beer, both in my snifter and my wife's. I never know why, but beers coming from those gorgeously and generally ridiculously priced 12.7 oz bottles just seem to contain more than a regular 12oz. Can't be. Deep, mysteriously murky, and as brown as you get before you run smack into black. Endless lace tides.

Nose is silken vanilla, treacle, malt syrup, and whispy strikes of peaty alcohol. Smells rich, if that's possible, and envelops you with aroma alone.

Holy crap raisin-bomb. Welcome to the Mellow Meldo-Rama! Everything is perfectly balanced, and has its place: oak, soft vanilla tannins, even the alcohol bite just fits. Only thing keeping this beer from perfection is the tiniest touch of 'off' sweetness that hits just as all the other ingredients fade. How that can the avoided with such a huge beer? The oak also really adds to the potentially lopsided English BW maltiness.

Drinkability is about as good as you could hope for in a beer this big, but it does go down better than even what I expected. Wish this would never end.

There's been some serious chatter about this brewery, and some of the rumors are disturbing. But I can only review what comes from the bottles I've had, and I've never had a bad bottle. Actually I've never had anything less than an exceptional bottle...

2.49/5  rDev -42%

I went down to Lost Abbey for the BBAS release sometime in 07 or early 08, can't really remember. The release party was fun, lots of good people and good beer flowing in line and inside. I bought 6 bottles at $15 a pop! Consumed with some of my good buddies February 09.
Bottle chilled and opened with little carbonation that quickly disappeared. Muddy brown color that really lost my attention due to the lack of carbonation.
Smelled strongly of bourbon and vanilla with raisins and a nutty finish. By far, the best part of the brew for me.
Taste really suffered due to lack of carbonation. All I tasted was raisins and acrid, burnt oak. I get very little bourbon and vanilla that the smell alluded to.
Mouthfeel was not bad, but nothing special. Again, the carbonation would have boosted the score here tremendously.
Drinkability was very poor. This was my third bottle, plus my two samples at the brewery, and they have gotten progressively worse in my opinion. Two of the three bottles I have opened were nearly flat, while the other was a gusher and I lost over half the contents.
I know I am in the minority here, but for $15, I expected a lot more, at least a properly carbonated beer. And now the price of a flat 750 mL bottle is $34.99 @ Hi-Time! Are you kidding me? A brewery releases a beer that has some flaws...fine, it happens. But doubling the price in doing so? You are out of your mind. I know Lost Abbey is catering to an upper-echelon clientele, but give me a break. That is ridiculous.
Note: This review is not based on one single "bad" bottle, and is not a slam against said brewery. More a mounting disappointment with both this over-priced (in my opinion) beer and talented brewery that is losing a loyal fan base because of price gouging.

4.12/5  rDev -4%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove. Thanks!
The cork came out easy and was followed by a bit of foaming, nothing too extreme but opening it near my sink was a good idea. The beer is dark and opaque, sort of a toffee brown, a little murky, and it has a rocky brownish beige head. Not much head retention with a little chunky lace, not bad for a big beer. Nice aroma! Rich toffee and dried fruits, dates and prunes, bready and sweet with a combination of caramel and bourbon. Mild oak and vanilla with a bit of molasses. Crap, there's a lot of carbonation, too much. It gets in the way of tasting the beer. Alcohol warmth and flavour throughout, lingering into the finish. Bitterness was moderate to low, noticeable without being up front. Malts were quite nice though, very bready with a lot of caramelized sugar character, toffee and a hint of chocolate. Pleasant woody and vanilla, bourbon notes, and plenty of dried fruits, raisins. Slight astringency from the wood, medium to full bodied. Pretty good, very tasty. The only real problem is the overcarbonation, which really detracted from the experience.

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice deep brown color. Minimal amount of brown head. Some spotty lacing.

S: Bourbon up front. A nice earthy mustiness right behind it. Hints of basement which is a positive for me. Raisins, brown sugar plums with a slight funk. Quite a bit of fruit in there as well.

T: Very subtle. The bourbon was much more muted than I thought it would be. A nice sweetness is there with hints of molasses. Very complex.

M: Very bubbly. Nice crisp mouthfeel which was more than a little unexpected.

D: Just a really great beer. Very complex. A nice mix of the barrel and a great base beer. Recommended.

4.64/5  rDev +8.2%

I want this beer brought up on charges of attempted murder. As I was preparing to open the beer I got barely two twists off on the cage and it struck. The cork blew out of the bottle breaking the cage on the way. If my face had been in the way I would have been immediately killed.

A: Dark brown with a nice mocha head.

S: Bourbon first and foremost. Brown sugar, plum, and a touch of raisin follow. Slight must basement character.

T: SUPER SMOOTH. This has aged beautifully. On tap initially it had too much bourbon but it seems to smoothed out considerably and lost the heat. The bourbon is only there for flavor now and doesn't burn at all. Nice malty/sugary sweetness with dark fruits. More fruit in the nose than the flavor though.

M: Super smooth. Butter.

D: Why did Lost Abbey go from 750's to 375's? Those cheap bastards.

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap at the Arizona Strong Beer Festival. Color was a rudy dark brown color. Lots of head and the keg poured very foamy when it was first tapped but settled down later on. Had a big white head. Aroma of oak barrels and toffee with a slightly high alcohol awareness evident. Taste was of a woody, oak barrel sweet malt beer. Very excellent beer and one of my favorites at the festival. The rep said some bottles would be coming to Arizona soon.

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

The cork comes off with a bang, followed by slow sustained foam creeping out of the bottle. In the glass, this thankfully slowed down. The colors seeping through this dark brown mass are hints of raisin and burgundy. The head is a finger of frothy tan.

Smells big and sticky sweet with ridiculous amounts of gooey barley, brown and candy sugar, ripe and tangy dark fruits, rice crispies and marshmallows, all nestled into a sweet and subtle bourbon. Wow...

Starts with a cola and rock candy sweetness with little nips of enticing (unnameable) herbs. This takes off into a tobacco earthy hop and a slight touch of anise. This ride too comes to an end at a nice boozy sting with the dryness lingering.

Feels fine and velvety with a soft scrubbing of carbonation. This felt a little too lively for the flavors present. I would have liked something a little more tame to let the flavors out a little more calmly. Still nice though...

A great beer. One of the more exciting ones I've tried in a while.

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance - the cork pops with force and after a few seconds, foam starts rising up the bottle neck. Better get this in a glass pronto, eh? A cola-like pour shows deep burgundy hues against good light. Two fingers of tan foam form up, which eventually dries out into a cakey block. It eventually falls back, but not before leaving a solid wall of tan lace around the glass.

Aroma - light to moderate oak/bourbon. Decent, not overly strong though, even a touch of butter.

Taste - malty, sweet, and plenty of mashy booze. Background notes of coffee and chocolate liqueur, but the waves of smooth bourbon continue. The swallow displays some appreciable abv warmth, melding nicely. Delicious and quite warm in the belly. A notably long finish, the oaky flavors hang around well after the swallow.

Mouthfeel - big and bubbly, like a bourbon champagne. The body is expectedly smooth.

Drinkability - a superb sipper. Not sure I'd spring for these too often even if they were more easily attained, but I'm certainly thankful to South Bay for this one.

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

Great thanks to Jwale73 for sharing is absurdly great beer! Pours black with a minimal head. Nose is absurd, maybe the best I've ever O smelled it for about 10 minutes. Vanilla, caramel, toffee, oak, bourbon, and dark fruits. Taste is excellent as well, incredibly rich and complex, with maple, toffee, bourbon, vanilla, and raisins dancing in a thick, rich goodness. Finish has some alcohol, but nicley balanced by a little sweet and a little bitter. Just a wonderful beer.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much thanks to Bennetj17 for the opportunity to try this. Its quite dark and opaque, somewhat stout like in appearance. Mildly yet persistently carbonated, a very gentle pour into my Chimay chalice gave a one finger tan coloured head, with great retention, after more than a few minutes a half finger's worth is still present. Thick and sticky sheets of lace present that eventually disperse and reenter the body of this rich brew.

Quite a rich nose on this brew. Bourbon, toffee, bourbon soaked raisins, vanilla and wood, as well as a hint of more roasted malt aromas. I may see how this stand up to a cigar after the review.

Wow, this is a rich and decadent brew. The bourbon is there right from the start, then the rich toffee from the malts assert themselves. Vanilla and oak appear along with booze soaked raisins, and more roasted malt character appears in the middle and lasts to the finish, with a treacly character and notes of espresso and hints of anise and a whiff of smoke. Some mostly clean hop bitterness present at the finish, with earthy tones.

Incredibly smooth, full, and creamy. Some alcohol heat from this 12.5% monster, but what else could be expected from such a big beer aged in bourbon barrels? Rich, decadent, and very well integrated for my taste, the rich malts stand up to the pronounced bourbon character, and the subtler notes from the oak and hops add significant depth to this incredible brew.

This is a sipper to be sure, but is quite enjoyable, it will be a pleasure to enjoy the 375mls, even though it will take me a while to do so. Definitely worth trying for fans of well crafted barrel aged brews. Guess i will have to try to acquire the brandy barrel version in order to compare it with this rich and tasty treat. Highly recommended.

4.89/5  rDev +14%

Poored into a flute from the Tap.

A - Dark dark brown, with a small head. No lacing to be seen.

S - Bourbon Bourbon Bourbon. Hints of oak, vanilla, raisins, molasses and caramel. The smell was overwhelming at first, I must have been smelling for at least 10 minutes before even thinking of having a taste.

T - Bourbon Bourbon Bourbon. So smooth. For 12% acohol, the alcohol taste was not overwhelming, but was very evident. It's hard to describe all that is going on with this, fruitiness in the form of raisins and plums, sweetness of caramel and toffee, coffee in the mix.

M - Crisp clean and smooth, the palate was addicted on the first sip. This beer just feels like heaven in your mouth.

D - SO drinkable. The beer is one of the best I have had and I am lucky to have had it. I'm glad I asked what the unmarked Lost Abbey tap was. Because the bar that shall go nameless, was not advertising they had it.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

A buddy of mine brought this beer down from Seattle for me, and I've been sitting on it for about six months now. I figured a Tuesday night was as good as any to crack her open and enjoy.

Poured from the 12.7-oz. bottle into a Belgian snifter. Really, really carbonated, and both bottle and glass runneth over. After the beer settles in the snifter, though, things begin to take shape. There is a healthy tan head on top, with some noticeably sticky lace. It's a dark beer, dark brown, with little light shining through when the glass is held up to the light. Some faint reddish tint around the edges, though. The nose is very strong; heavy oak scent with a dense dark fruit smell. Think prunes and raisins on steroids (no, I don't really know what that means either, but it's what this beer smells like). Molasses, vanilla, and coffee scents exist as well. The taste is fantastic. Big and bold, but delicious. Strong molasses here as well, but with some more tangible fruit flavors (prune, fig, raisin). Sweet finish with a faint hoppy dryness. Mouthfeel is soft and easy-going.

This is a great beer. It's big, and opponents of oak-aged beers probably won't like it. But still, it's delicious. Smooth and easy to drink, the high ABV (12%) is there, and you know it's there, but it's not tyrannical. It settles back and lets the laid-back fruit flavors take over in a velvety tongue. A great brew at every step. Worth seeking out if you can't find it in your neck of the woods.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

I had a review for this beer before the whole fiasco occurred, stumbled across another bottle so let's give it a go again.

375 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a snifter served at cellar temperature.

Pours a deep black with a one finger fluffy light tan colored head that falls to a thin layer. Bits of stickiness grab a hold of the sides here and there, but not a whole lot. Aroma is thick with bourbon, vanilla, and rich caramel malts. A good dose of molasses with plums, dates, and raisins. A very complex nose which I'm sure will carry over to the flavor, or at least I hope. Initial flavor is sweet Vermont maple syrup with caramel and chocolate. Bourbon oak midway with brown sugar, almonds, and fig. Smokey and sweet aftertaste with toffee, butterscotch, and toasted malts. Very full flavored ale with a lot to take in. The feel is a medium warm body with a very aggressive carbonation that really distracts from the overall quality of this beer unfortunately. A great sipping beer, I just wish it was smoother in the mouth.

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First and foremost - A HUGE thanks goes out to numbeercruncher for sending me this fine/rare brew in a recent trade. The holidays were insane for me and my family, hence the break in beer reviewing... This review was taken from notes and shared with newtonty on 12-27-2007.

After a massive/explosive POP from the removal of the cork, a khaki colored, big bubbled head came surging out the top. After the spillage was contained, it poured into my oversized cabernet glass an opaque, dark brown beer. Lacing and head remained a long while. Nice...

The nose carried intense mix of aromas including vanilla, molasses, maple syrup and heavily roasted malts. By far, the maple syrup scent was most dominant.

Taste was much like the nose. Add to the nose, an almost soy or salty characteristic mixed with the expected maple, milk-like creaminess, brown sugar and molasses mix. Medium bodied with ample carbonation and full flavor.

Newtonty was blown away by it overall. He stated this was his favorite beer of 2008, but not for me. Don't get me wrong, this is a robust, complex and very unique beer, but not very drinkable to me. I am all about expanding my beer appreciation through new styles, but there was a drying effect on my pallet, much like a wine - that didn't appeal to me.

Reminiscent in body to Magic Hat's Feast of Fools, Sixpoint's Bolshoi (Light to medium with a highly carbonated champagne yeast like quality).

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to AdamB84 for this bottle.
Probably the most excited I've been to try a new beer in a long time. Served this at cellar temperature, in a snifter, from a 12.7 ounce bottle. Corked and caged ofcourse.

Appearance: Bottle opened with a loud pop, and foamed over a bit. Angel's Share pours out a deep burgandy color that was quite dark. A somewhat soft pour yielded a little better than two fingers of thick, pillowy, almost tan colored head. Head just seems to hang there forever, lasts through out the whole experience. A thick layer of lace coated the entire glass. Quite a bit of active carbonation bubbles are noticed rising to the top of the glass.

Smell: Such a strong, complex nose on this beer. A nice strong oak aroma seems to be the most present. Slight hints of bourbon in the background. Underlying vanilla and raisin aromas. Touches of brown sugar, molasses, and leather. A slight boozy blast rounds out the nose. I'm pretty impressed so far.

Taste: This is one great tasting beer. Again, the oak flavor seems to be the strongest. Slightly sweet with a mild bourbon flavor. Nice thick maltiness, with some raisin and vanilla. Finishes quite smooth with some more oak and some body warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Great mouthfeel. A somewhat thick, mouth coating brew. Pretty much perfectly carbonated. Full bodied.

Drinkability: Very drinkable despite the big flavors and the alcohol content of this brew. It's a sipper though. Angel's Share, in my opinion, lives up to the all the hype that I've heard. Another great beer from The Lost Abbey.

4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Would you believe this came as a trade extra from my oh so sweet bitch Egledhill? I can't either, but I'm gonna drink it anyway. Shared at a mini-BA-gathering of 3 plus my wife way out at my house in the middle of nowhere. Joined by OlieIPA and Aimstatus who braved the 100 mile drive from the wretched city.

Huge pop from the cork damn near drove the thing into my ceiling. You've had a long journey Angel's Share. Prepare to rest easy.

Pours a monstrous beige head over dark brown molasses. Head Will Not Die. Seriously - eternal. Sunspots of brown float in the beige head.

Smells of soil; moist earth. Clean soil and earth, not landfill. Maybe some bourbon, but it isn't very pronounced.

Taste is sweet lip-smacking action. The fluid literally disappears as you drink. Houdini down the throat, with a nice trail left on the lips to taste again. Oak. Fig. Way complex flavor profile daunts me. Extremely smooth.

And that's all the notes I have.

Memory says it was a great treat.

Overall: 'twas my share

4.46/5  rDev +4%

Very dark brown with a reddish head, great retention and lacing. Smell is very sweet with maple syrup, caramel, bourbon, and toffee all being noticed. Taste is sweet caramel, bourbon, some vanilla, dark fruits, and the a boozy finish. Slightly less than high carbonation with a full body. Good beer, probably will get better with age. Thanks to pepsican for the sample. Had this again and it has much improved already; a top notch beer.

1.88/5  rDev -56.2%

Thanks tytoanderso for this one. Small corked bottle poured into a snifter.

The bottle opens with a loud pop, betraying the heavy carbonation that produces a very large bubbly head atop the dark burgundy brew. The air escapes from the head, leaving a dense, luscious two finger thick head that holds extremely well, and coats all sides of the glass on its way down.
Aroma improves as it warms, with notes of fruits, chocolate, caramel, oak, vanilla and bourbon.
Full bodied, velvety, starts as bourbon soaked plums covered in chocolate, but caramel maltiness keeps exchanging roles with bourbon heat, vanilla and oakiness.
Quite easy to drink, despite some heat here and there. There seems to be a perfect temperature near room temperature; colder inhibits the aroma, but way too hot it gets too "hot", and bourbon gets too noticeable.
I have to admit I have been trying a lot of Lost Abey beers, and most have been underwhelming. Now I see the reason for the hype. I just wanted to know the vintage, could not identify on the bottle, but this was traded June 2008.

The 2009 version, the one out there now, unfortunately, is a total flat, uncarbonated mess. Drainpour. Absolutely horrible.

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

imstillthegman is, indeed, still the gman. I don't even need to know what that means to know that it's true. Why? Because he deserves my trust.

Excellent pour. Just--just remarkable, right there. It's like there's a whole little world that died just to make this pour, it's that's goddamn good.

Smells very, very... umm, what's the word? "Strong." There we go. That's the word. It's quite strong. Lots of insanely sweet malt, medium-strength west coast hops. As it warms, the strength stays at about the same intensity, but the individual flavors mellow slightly enough that the become discernible from one another. Heavy nodes of vanilla and oaken whiskey are present, along with some sweet, fruity, and lightly peaty malts. Sort of a cross between Bourbon County stout and a good dubbel.

Tastes very much as it smells. Starts hugely strong, big giant nodes of toffee, raisins, sweet brandywine, chocolate, vanilla, oak, sweet fruit lingers at the end with bitterness. Hops? No--I thought I smelled some but I think I was wrong.

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

375ml Bottle

2008 Bottling

A big thanks goes out to Kegatron for sending me this brew in a recent trade, thanks again Heath! Angel's Share gurgles from the bottle into my snifter black as night. There isn't a hint of light peeking through the body of this brew. Two fingers of khaki head grew slowly on a soft pour instantly becoming chunky and creamy, very meringue like. The head did eventually fall but not very much, settling at a finger of perfect creaminess and never dropping any lower. The carbonation isn't visible but you can see where the bubbles collide with the head to keep it going strong. Sheet lacing gets left behind every time the glass gets tipped. This is an outstanding looking brew with an incredible head especially when taking into consideration the high abv!

The nose on this beer is crazy unique. It's funny but the first thing I notice when my stout gets in the glass is toasted walnut and there's a lot of it. Not far behind is insanely rich vanilla oak, sweet bourbon, mildly roasty malts, a dash of heavy cream, cocoa powder and caramel. I can't take my nose from the glass. Each consecutive whiff brings out deeper complexity. I'm really digging the walnut quality that gets things started and never fully leaves. I can't wait to dive into this brew.

The flavor is deep but doesn't quite show the depth the nose did. Again, the toasted walnuts lead the way and give me a slight sensation of the bitter pith (?) when eaten from the shell. The barrel aging quality doesn't show up at first but the heavy cream, cocoa, and rich caramel do. There's a slight roastiness in the back and the toasted walnuts comes through again on the finish. The barrel aging waits until the second half to really step forward with vanilla, buttery oak and spicy bourbon. This is a deep complex brew but the flavor doesn't reach that of the aroma. When I drink this beer on the colder side there's a slight metallic quality that goes away as it warms.

The body has, surprisingly, a medium-full mouthfeel. The carbonation is dialed a little high which pushes the beer over the tongue too quickly and creates a little frothiness. It's not too far off but I'd enjoy this one more if the bubbles were fewer and farther between.

This is a big sipping brew but the excessive carbonation makes it drink easier than it should. The abv will catch up to you if you're not careful but with that said this goes down very easy.

Another big thanks to Heath for this brew! I've been a little underwhelmed with Lost Abbey and especially their pricing, but this beer is a good one. Angel's Share is very interesting and the bourbon barrel aging adds another layer of depth. I'd like to try the brandy version to compare.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Listed as a 08' edition.

A: The initial un-corking of this cherished beer produced a very violent burst of excited onto the scene. Along with the flying projectile, the cork if you are wondering, a very heady substance started to overflow out from the orifice of the bottle. Quickly my friend was able to get some of this liquid goodness into my glass. What appeared next was a pleasant looking light-tan head accompanied by a very dark brown liquid underneath.

S: Very earthy quality, which is very similar to Stone's Arrogant Bastard, along with a subtle amount of bourbon and oak aroma.

T: A very apparent alcohol burning sensation in the beginning and tail-end of initial sip. Some of the flavors I pick up include dark figs and perhaps a molasses/brown sugar. This could have the vanilla that was described on the label of the bottle, but it didn't seem to express itself that way in the taste.

M: Medium-body with a gentle carbonation.

D: Definitely a sipper! The bourbon quality was very subtle in the aroma, but came out strong with every gulp I had. Very tasty, but too much to enjoy a whole bottle to yourself.

Overall: A very, very, very good beer....but I'm not sure if it is a "holy grail" type of beer. Complex flavors and smell, accompanied by a nice amount of bourbon aging that wasn't too overwhelming. A try it beer for sure. Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours opaque ruby brown with a ring of bubbles. Nose is heavily bourbon. Some brief hints of raisins, vanilla and oak. Fortunately, the taste rounds out the bourbon with stronger vanilla, oak, chocolate, and cocoa powder. Pleasant alcoholic warmth. Sadly, and probably because of the build-up to finally having this beer, it left me wanting more. Not complaining, this was excellent, but I still wanted more.

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from my 375ml corked bottle into a Great Divide Tulip. Cork basically exploded off of the bottle.

Pours a dark black with a slight reddish brown at the edges. Head is a medium tan color and the beer is overcarbonated enough to warrant an extremely slow pour.

Smells like heaven. Hints of oak, maybe a slight boozy aroma. A bit of vanilla I think.

Tastes like it smells. Well, sort of. It's better. There's a slight bourbon flavor, which unlike a lot of beers, is very subdued and balanced with the other flavors of vanilla, oak, maybe some dark fruits, and a bit of caramel. Minimal amounts of alcohol are present in the taste. Very impressed.

Mouthfeel is where I feel this beer suffers. There's simply too much carbonation in here. Instead of feeling a syrupy thickness I feel a fizzy bubbling sensation. With as relatively thin as the beer is, I feel it would serve better with a heavier mouthfeel.

However, I think that after you move past the beers somewhat fizzy nature, it's very very drinkable. None of the flavors are overwhelming and always in balance. The only thing that would stop me from drinking more of this would be the lack of availability (I had to get this VIA trading) and the fact that the ABV would knock me onto my ass in a hurry. Especially because it's so well hidden.

I am very impressed with this beer as a whole. Most of the regular Lost Abbey brews I've been unimpressed with, and with all the hyped up beers I've tasted recently, this is one of a few that I feel lives up to it's hype.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

Dark brown with a nice creamy head. As expected, the barrel is up front. Then you start to smell the other aspects. A surprise in the aroma is a hint of cherry. Strong bourbon flavor, toffee, and vanilla. Start drinking at cellar temp and allow the beer to warm. This is an amazing beer.

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

375ml purchased in 2008

A: Opens with a serious pop. Carbonation isn't going to a worry here, unlike many other Lost Abbeys lately. Dark rudy brown, with a beautiful creamy head that lasts the entire beer. Beautiful.

S: Oak. More oak. Nice bourbon and vanilla aromas. Dark caramel malt. Dark cherries. The barrel aromas are dominant at first, but dark fruit really comes out as this warms up.

T/M: Every in the smell and then some. Awesome bourbon, vanilla flavors and cherries and fruit in the background. The caramel malt is potent definitely laying the backbone for everything else. It's got a nice carbonation, doesn't taste syrupy at all. Amazing stuff.

D: Man, if only...

Near perfection in a barrel aged beer. The first Lost Abbey brew I've had that's met the hype

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey