Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
Reviews: 663 | Hads: 1,695
4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Wow 9 months since my first review and I am about to review beer 400. Not bad considering I only review the good shit.

After careful consideration I picked this one. I am so lucky to have gotten two of these bad boys via trade. Thanks to CoreyRhoads and franksnbeans for these. It is a perfect brew for #400

A: Popped the cork and foam immediately came flowing from the bottle. Poured it into a Russian River Barrel Aged Tulip. The beer was a radiant dark black/brown hue. The head with four fingers high, big, bold, and rocky. Tons of carbonation this one... it did not want to die. Once it finally died down it did leave nice spots of lace all the way down the glass.

S: I am in love. Wow this smells even better than bourbon. Tons of oak and vanilla right up front. I have had some hard to get highly regarded bourbons from little known Kentucky distillers that did not smell as nice as this one. Beneath the barrel is a nice complex brew. Nice tones of dark fruits, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and chocolate. Boy can't wait to taste this one.

T: Best barrel aged brew period. (Though to be honest I won't compare it to barrel aged stouts as it's a whole different monster). The flavor is wonderful. This has the perfect amount of bourbon goodness without going overthetop at all. Tons of oak, vanilla, and whiskey. That being said the wonderful flavors of the ale Lost Abbey started with are not lost. Nice whiskey soaked dark fruits make an appearance. As does nutty toffee and burnt dark brown sugar. Soo complex and sooo good. Wonderful.

M: Medium in body smooth and creamy. If there is one flaw it may be a bit too over carbonated.

D: So nice. I had planned to share this one and to be honest I am glad I kept it all to my self. It has been quite sometime since I enjoyed a brew this much.

Overall: This is what barrel ageing is all about. Lost Abbey took a world class ale blasted it straight into another dimension. The wonderful nuances of bourbon barrel ageing really comes out in this beer. What separates it from the others is that the barrel does not detract from the ale. It is wonderful in every sense of the word. Great, Great, Great. What a fitting beer to drink for number 400. I love it, I love Lost Abbey, and man do I ♥ beer.

Cheers, Prost, Slainte, Vashe zdorovie .... To Lost Abbey, To BA, and to this 400 and 400 more. (2,362 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

what a great beer. What a rollercoaster of an experience. Initial carbonation was just short of a gusher but still it took forever for the foam to settle into a drinkable state. That nit pick aside, this is a phenomenally balanced robust, soft, deceptive, satisfying beer.

The price of entry is sinful but the result is decadent! I'm glad I took a leap of faith and bought this one. Oh, one last sad note - at 375ml's this one is over all too fast. (450 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Thanks to tayner for an amazing trade.

Pours a dark brown and ruby with a huge rocky light tan head. Appears to be quite overcarbonated. Nose REEKS of bourbon heat and dark fruits, wood. Taste = Bourbon! dark fruit, caramel, bourbon soaked raisins, vanilla, caramel apple, wood and bourbon and alcohol on the finish. Wonderful. Great sweetnes lingers in the mouth and on the lips. This one will be amazing after a few years in the cellar. Mouthfeel is suprisingly thin and waaayyy more carbonated than I expected. Drinkability is good for the style, but will greatly improve with some cellaring I think. Certainly an amazing concoction, bourbon is right up front. Defenitely a great cellar candidate. Pleased to have had the opportunity to have tried it. Thanks again, Dana! (775 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

The cork flew out of this 375ml and then the beer erupted. Dark brown, it looks just like the brandy version. Nice bourbon and wood smell. Tastes like cola and vanilla coupled with bourbon, some licorice. This is a very flavorful beer and the alcohol was well hidden. I preferred the profile on the brandy barrel version a little more but this was still very good. (364 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Damn. First, big thanks to Joey at South Bay Drugs for selling me this bottle. He is awesome, and everyone should check out his online services. And thank you Tomme Arthur, for allowing Joey to sell this at his establishment. Again, damn... this beer is amazing. Worth every penny, all 2,500 of 'em.

I unhinged the cage, and 15 seconds later the cork flew out of the bottle with the force that could have easily removed an eye. The beer started to foam out of the bottle and I was able to save the vast majority of the beer before it landed on the table. I poured the brew into a snifter, and sucked up the 3 or 4 milliliters that landed on the table with a long slurp. My fiancee laughed at me, but I wasn't going to let any of this beer go to waste.

Poured a 375ml bottle into a snifter.

Appearance - After the cork exploded out of the bottle, it produced a 4 finger tannish rocky head. It slowly dissipated to a thin crown that never fully disappeared. A swirl of the glass brings the head to a full 2 fingers - great retention. It leaves spotty lacing behind the further along I drink. It is a deep translucent, nearly opaque, deep brown color.

Smell - Oh man this smells fantastic. I love bourbon. It has the perfect level of sweet vanilla, woody oak, and bourbon scent - it doesn't beat you in the face. All of the scents associated with the bourbon transition to toffee, caramel, burnt sugar and a hint of chocolate. Toward the end of the scent, the presence of dark fruits, cherry and an herbal note make itself known. The scent is very complex, and though bourbon component is the dominant feature of the scent, it doesn't hinder the other scents from making their mark.

Taste - Where is the ABV? It says that it is 12.5% on the bottle, where are they hiding it? Man...the flavor is every bit as complex as the scent. The flavor opens with woody oak, vanilla, and bourbon and transitions into toffee, caramel, chocolate covered cherries and dark fruit. The flavor profile is an evolution, each flavor melding into the next. The bourbon is a huge component of the flavor, but just like the scent, it doesn't prevent the other flavors from making their presence known. It has a creamy flavor which my palate ties to the caramel. The aftertaste has a very pleasant flavor of oak and toffee that lingers long after each sip. I am struggling not to drink this one too fast. A lot of bourbon barrel aged beers seem to soak up the bourbon flavor and heat, but this beer doesn't taste hot - this beer is definitely infused with the flavor of bourbon, but I don't detect the booze at all. Well done, Tomme, well done...

Mouthfeel - It has a medium body. It is creamy, silky, and smooth as it travels over the tongue. Initially, the carbonation left a prickly, dry finish. The longer the beer sits, the less prickly it feels, and the more creamy it becomes. It feels thick as it first runs over the tongue, and then seems to thin out. I would have liked the thickness to persist throughout the entire sip - hell, now it just seems like I am nitpicking. Oh, who am I kidding? - I can't find anything wrong with the mouthfeel. It is just so creamy, and slightly sticky. The alcohol is absent in the mouthfeel, but not in my stomach - very warming. And it isn't absent in my brain function either...

Drinkability - This beer is nothing short of amazing. This is truly a feat of brewing prowess. Where did you hide that 12.5% ABV, Tomme? I don't believe you. This has been an absolute pleasure to drink from start, to... well, I'm not finished with it yet. The urge to drink this beer gives me the same sensation as I felt when I was quitting cigarettes..."just hold out for another couple of minutes... don't give in to the urge... drinking too fast... come on, maintain... SHIT! I am taking another sip."

Just get a bottle. These words won't mean anything until you taste it yourself. This is a beer that should be experienced, and only a lucky few of us will ever be able to. Get a bottle and drink it by yourself. If you are lucky enough to get a second bottle, share that one with friends.

Joey - you are awesome! Thanks for supplying the lucky few of us that actually acquired a bottle. I am in your debt. I didn't do you the favor by buying it, you did me the favor by selling it. (4,294 characters)

a - very rich looking dark brown with nice mellow head. great lacing.

s - wow! smells of dark carmel, subtle vanilla and caramelized sugar.

t - like no beer i have ever tasted! extremely complex and delightful. i can taste the bourbon barrels. sweet oak. a little black licorice?

m - mmm. velvety, smooth, good amount of carbonation. finish is to die for!

d - this is so good it pains me that i cannot get this as often as i would like. thank you sooo much chefscott79!!!! (479 characters)

Photo of
4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

375ml bottle.

Poured a very dark brown, virtually opaque even when held up to light. Edges suggest red tones. Formed a massive, creamy, tan colored head. Lacing was minimal, good legs after the head moved on.

Aroma gives away the bourbon barrel right out of the gate. Dark fruits (cherries & figs). Just a touch of funkiness. Pine and herbal notes. Overall, scent is very sweet.

Taste gives me coffee and chocolate. Bourbon and vanilla. Cherries, caramel and the herbal notes near the end.

Body is full and silky. Carbonation is high initially, but calms down a lot. Medium in dryness, seemed to be more noticeable in the finish than while drinking (that statement makes very little sense, even to me, but I don't know how else to express it). Alcohol content starts to warm you up right away.

This is an incredibly complex beer. Calling it a strong ale is almost insulting, but I don't know where else it should go either. I sipped this over the course of two hours and enjoyed every minute of it. (1,004 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

2008 bottle release; Sampled April 2008
Wow, Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share is a gusher, I lost something less than a quarter bottle, even though the bottle was at 48°F / 9°C. A careful pour yields an over-flowing six-finger thick, darkened tan colored head. The beer is a deeply burnt, amber color, and shows a hint of concentrated ruby if held up directly to the light. Rich caramelized malt notes are immediately proceeded by Bourbon barrel notes of vanillin, spicy oak / Bourbon and some buttery oak character. The barrel / Bourbon notes are fairly restrained, but still are perhaps the most noticeable character in the aroma. As my nose gets used to the beer, the butterscotch / butter barrel notes become more apparent as does a warming alcohol aroma. Even a touch of mustiness seems to lurk in the background. The Bourbon barrel character actually gets a bit sharp, even harsh at times, but for the most part the nose remains deeply caramel infused, smooth bourbon barrel character.

It has been ten minutes since pouring this beer and it is still quite well carbonated; a quick swirl of my glass releases the excess CO2 though. Sweet and deeply caramelized with malt induced flavors of toffee and raisins. Starting in the middle a toasty, brown malt character kicks in and provides a touch of dryness, though not enough to offset the lingering, rich, complex, malt sweetness that just sticks to the palate. Quite a bit lighter than one might expect from a beer that is 12.5% abv; it does have some heft to it as it is certainly a sipping beer, but it definitely has a light feel to it and at times can seem a bit thin. The Bourbon barrel character is quite a bit softer than it was in the aroma. Typical flavors of spicy oak, vanillin and buttery oak (this last more so in the finish) are found here and the Bourbon provides some alcohol heat. Somehow the beer actually tastes a bit vinous to me; a mix of port, sherry and a full bodied Sancerre. The finish is spicy and sharp with hot Bourbon notes (though not overwhelmingly so).

Somehow not nearly as well integrated, nor nearly so tasty as the 2006 Brandy version (I have yet to try the 2007). I could see this getting close, but somehow the base beer has changed too much while residing in the barrel. I wonder if the changed flavor, lightened body, along with the gushing, is caused by a slight infection? If so it is not so much as to drastically effect things or even be overtly noticeable, but this beer is just enough off to keep it from being great. (2,520 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Let me first say that at first I really wanted to not like this beer. Something about this whole frequent special releases thing kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

A- I have to say this looks just about perfect. Very dark brown, almost black with a creamy, tan head that leaves quite a bit of lacing as it falls.

S- Smell is very enticing, sweet, brown sugar, spices, almost detect a sour note towards the end, slight coffee, a bit of bourbon.

T- Taste is much different than I was suspecting from the smell. Tastes creamy, mixed spices in the middle, sweet cream, a slight bit of bourbon. Can detect the alcohol warming but it blends in so superbly. The sweetness wears on you after a while. Definitely a sipper.

M- A bit thinner than I would have guessed, very crisp with a lot of carbonation. Refreshing, I'm a little tired of beers that are way too thick, this is excellent.

D- I really really wanted to not like this beer. I tried to find as much wrong with it as I could but I just couldn't. Not a huge fan of the brewery, didn't buy into the hype and I loved it. Try to get a bottle now why there is still some in circulation, you won't regret it. (1,171 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

2006 on tap at the Toronado Barleywine Festival in Feb. of 08.

What an exceptional beer. I'm not convinced this is a barleywine strictly. It's a bit heavy on the dark, chocolate and crystal malts. It pours a dark brown, almost black. It also has a significant chocolate flavor on there. There's also tons of caramel and vanilla from the bourbon barrel. It's pretty thick, full bodied, but it goes down silky smooth. This was by far the best beer at the fest, even though I'm not sure it would classify as a barleywine by BJCP or by GABF standards. I guess that's why lost abbey classifies it as one of their "non-denomination beers." Still, this is a must have for any beer fan. What a treat. I could sit for hours and just sniff that vanilla, caramel, chocolate and oak. (772 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Darkest brown, with ruby edges, under a fuzzy, toasted tan head.

Sweet, smokey bourbon hits the nose first, with alcohol tagging along, ...oak, vanilla, and a hint of cherry comes behind....matched by caramel and cocoa...deep and mighty.

big buzz on the tongue, thick, slick, and whiskey-ish galore....chocolate meets rich brandy-ish favors, right up next to the bourbon feel. Long, finish, lushly textured, utterly luxuruious. Hoppy bitter smack on the tongue.

lovely stuff, satisfies my bourbon-loving sweet tooth (tongue?), though it feels like an imperial stout. (570 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Many, many thanks to Rustydiamond for sharing this with the early birds at the latest Brick Store gathering.

Pours a beautiful almost black that's clear when held to the light. The tight head lasts for the duration of the experience.
Nose has a bit of caramel, some hints of dark roasted grain and dark fruit, but is quite oaky, with even a hint of flemish-like sourness from the oak. Woody, heady and sweet pretty much sums this one up.
The taste smacks of the oak hinted at in the nose, and also has that hint of sourness. More caramel comes out, and other vanilla notes that compliment the oak. No hop flavor, of course, and the slightest grain bitterness to balance the sweetness, as well as the hint of sour oak.
The mouthfeel is excellent: thick, creamy, velvety, smooth, lingering and a touch of dryness at the tail end.
Overall drinkability? How does one rate a beer like this for drinkability? I will certainly have it again. I hope. (944 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

[My review for the bourbon barrel AS was deleted evidently and replaced with the brandy barrel review, so this is to the best of my recollection and isn't as detailed as the original review...the score, however, is exactly the same]

Big thanks to Jw347 and calsbeek for bottles of this delicious beer.

a - pour a deep dark brown nearing black, one finger brown head, decent retention and lacing

s - aromas of caramel malt and dark fruits, plum and raisin, definite notes of bourbon and oak, very well integrated, but doesn't jump out of the bottle as the brandy barrel version does

t - just like the aroma, caramel malt engulfs the palate along with dark fruits, some black cherry and plum, oak and bourbon notes linger on the finish, alcohol noticeable on the breath, very smooth and well integrated

m - medium-to-full bodied, moderate carbonation, well balanced finish with significant alcohol warming

d - this is definitely a sipper, intense flavors and a little boozy, but that's exactly what this style dictates

Props to Tomme on perfectly harnessing the power of the bourbon barrel. Although I don't like this one quite as much as the brandy barrel version, both are absolutely world class beers. (1,209 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +16.2%

2nd installment of the Sinners Club. 12.7 oz caged and corked bottle:

Appearance: Popped the cork and a big woosh ensued with a good bit of head foaming out of the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip, the color was deep dark mahongony topped by a huge light tan head. Hints of ruby shown around the edges. Head fades slowly to a thin, densly foamed foamed head topping the beer.

Smell: Initial hints of boubon and wood then loads of deep, dark and rich fruit ensue. Currants and ripe plums drenched in bourbon come to mind with and just a bit of caramel beneath the surface.

Taste: Wow !! You would think with the smell that bourbon would be a dominating flavor but that is not the case. Big and rich, with more dark and ripe fruit. Nice vanilla undertones peak through the malty mass along with the now present bourbon. Brown sugar and caramel come into to play as well. For such a big beer alcohol is well hidden though warms the face. Hops show in the finish with a nice, smooth bitterness that leaves the mouth asking for another sip.

Mouthfeel: Velvety and smooth that sticks to your mouth, not chewy thick but the viscosity is full.

Drinkability/Notes: Sure am glad I joined the LA Sinners Club. Where else could I get such fantastic beer. Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share hits a home run. I'm not a big fan of some bourbon barrel aged beers but this one is spot on. The bourbon accents the beer not dominating the flavor profile whatsoever. Plenty of big, rich, dark fruit with hints of vanilla and bourbon all finished with a nice bit of hop bitterness. Alcohol is so well hidden its dangerous. A true sipper that gets better as it warms. Seek and Enjoy !! Highly Recommended ! (1,685 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Holy crap, this just made my top 5 (of 1100) beers within the first sip. I was scared that this was another of those over-hyped beers that I read so much about. Now I'm regretting only buying 8 bottles.

The beer is very carbonated and if youre not careful it will foam over the top of the bottle. Once poured into a glass carefully it will produce a couple inches of nice beige head that lasts and lasts. The lacing isn't just normal lacing, rather its entire chunks of foam that hang on the side of the pint glass. The color is a dark red/purple/black color. The bottles description of "Burgundy" might be a bit more eloquent. Not see through at all but what do you want from a barrel aged beer. Actually its better this way.

The nose is just amazing. If you like scotch or bourbon (and I do) you'll love this. Theres also dark malts, some chocolate (no doubt from aging malts), and some whiskey smells coming out of this. I can't remember when I smelled a beer this good before. Theres been one or two DIPAs that I've tried that come close but the bourbon really gives it something extra.

It almost pains me to not give this beer a 5.0 in taste. Everything is perfect except the alcohol aftertaste. 12.5% abv will do that. Other than that, the chocolate, the oak, the whiskey, the malt, and the hop/alcohol bitterness were right on the money.

The body is nice and heavy. Very very smooth and warming. The CO2 level is just right. Its actually not as carbonated as it looks.

Every sip makes me a little more pissed that Tomme Arthur is on his rag because of his beers being sold on ebay and no longer releasing this beer in 750 ml size. Ya know, selling smaller bottles and charging more isn't going to stop people from ebaying these, its just going to upset the loyal fans and customers. (1,796 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle bought at the Sinner's release (375ml) 2008 version 12.5% ABV, taken out of converted chest freezer. Poured into Stone RIS tulip glass.

A: Popped cork and the beer bubbled up ( I heared this was the case for many others, even though chilled). Thick tan head, second pour was more creamy than the first. Coffee colored.

S: Bourbon, Oak/Wood, caramel with slight vanilla. I can't keep my nose away from this beer. Slightly sour/barrel smell.

T: First thing I noticed was the strong bourbon spirit flavor (much more than the brandy barrel version). Followed by the sour/barrel characteristics. Carmel and vanillia then come through and the beer finishes with a light roasty flavor that sticks around

MF: Medium body with a sticky feel that lasts. For all the bubble up front a very light carbonation overall?

D: Can't drink too much of this stuff, like the 375 size. But a very good one serving beer.

Great job! I like the Brandy Barrel version better, but still a great beer.

This is my first review, so this is a great beer for the occasion! (1,054 characters)

Poured into a Double Bastard Glass. Beautiful appearance. Root beer brown, with a decadent head. Smell fluttered with alcohol, just for a second, then came the carmel sweetness, and malty tang. The taste. Come on!! Flirted with heavenly. Bourbon flavor, mixed expertly with rich, malt, sugar, carmel flavor. This beer felt wonderful on the mouth, dangerously almost too good. Drinkability off the charts. I could drink this beer regularly. If you have the means I highly suggest you getting this beer. Truly exceptional and one of the best beers I have ever had. (562 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

It's difficult to write an appropriate description of a transcendental experience. This divine concoction changed my perspective on what beer could be. It offers every bit of complexity of a great wine melded with the deep satisfaction of a superb beer. Most barleywines seem to be overly sweet or harshly alcoholic but the balance in this beer is tremendous. Do whatever you can to secure some of this incredible beer. (419 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

(review of the draft version during the Bottle Release in 2008)
I went to the Bourbon Barrel release and was fortunate enough to be able to sample it in line - 3 times. Absolutely a stunning beer from first to last taste.

Glass arrived with a faint head on it with the brew a strikingly dark crimson approaching black. The bourbon nose was bold but not near overpowering.

Flavors of malt, vanilla, chocolate, with hints of molasses, bourbon, and toffee. The tastes don't linger too long, so there is no overpowering buildup. Moderate carbonation helps to cleanse the palate. Somewhat hot, much smoother than the Brandy version. A fantastic, world class beer. (662 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Enjoyed on-tap at the brewery during the release. Came pre-poured, so the head was already settled into a tan ring. Deep, dark brown and opaque. The smell is dominated by the bourbon and oak. The flavor is similarly dominated, but also malty and sweet. Very creamy mouthfeel and goes down smooth despite the high alcohol.

I really want to try this head-to-head with the last release to see how they compare. I think the bourbon barrel version is less subtle and complex, but equally delicious. (495 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Had a pint of this while waiting for the ASBB and Veritas 003 release.

Poured a murky dark brown with some reddish highlights. Smelled strongly of tasty Bourbon. The taste was more complex, with an obvious raisin puree and caramel malt background overlaid with gigantic bourbon flavors. This is still a very good beer, but the wonderful complexity that the "regular" version gives you has been somewhat obliterated.

The nuances I remember savoring with each sip have been replaced and overwhelmed by an oak and bourbon background. Somewhat disappointing. A surprisingly high level of carbonation, which I liked, but might be offputting to some. (647 characters)

A- Dark with deep amber highlights when held to the light. Tan head dissipates to a thin layer. Nice lacing on the glass.

S- Oh god, this is good- rich and complex. Pit fruit (plum?), vanilla, light oak, hints of bourbon. Luscious.

T- Malty, rich and complex. I get bourbon, vanilla, hints of cherry, fig and oak. Big, bold and amazing.

M- Rich throughout the mouth, not too thick, not too thin- just right for a beer like this. Pleasant alcohol warming in the finish.

D- Well, this is perhaps my most favorite beer, ever. I would drink this daily if I had the stores. Absolutely amazing stuff. Definitely a bit of heaven. (626 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

750ml bottle served at 50 degrees and poured into gold rimmed New Belgium Snifter

A – Poured a very dark brown, nearly opaque with only the slightest bit of light coming through on both the sides and the bottom of the glass. Very rich color, with slight reddish tints, but mostly just a deep russet brown. A smallish maybe one finger high head of gold and tan colored foam rose up from the bottom and lay across the top of the glass like a pillow. This settled down eventually, but left behind a thin film covering the top and very nice side glass lace. The side glass presentation was a bit remarkable in that it almost had a gold shine to it as it swirled around, very nice looking.

S – The aroma was huge, and full of alcohol from the first whiff. I did not think this would be coming off as strong as it did. Lots of wood and oak like aroma mixed in as well. I had to let this one sit and warm up to see what else was going to be coming through from it. The next whiff was much more complex then the first. Lots of oak notes still underlying, however these were now being layered in with a good bit of dark fruity notes, plums, or raisins perhaps. Still a touch hot from the aroma, as the alcohol was very discernable. There was definitely some spiciness to it as well, like a good spiced rum smell almost. Very dark and complex, I was getting the feeling that this one was going to put a hurting on me.

T – So I build it up and dive in for a taste. I had waited a long time to try this one, and I was not disappointed. Avery robust and full flavor profile, this was definitely one to sit down and think about as you go through it. A full on blast of spiced alcohol was the first thing that I noticed, kinda hot, but as it warmed it mellowed out and by the end of the session had all but blended into the background and simply become an outstanding ale. Loads of dark fruit notes were permeating through the flavor. Prunes, Raisins, Figs all very discernable in the flavor and really adding balance to it as they melded together. Lots of spice here as well, very big. The notes of oak and wood in the flavor were clearly becoming evident as it warmed, giving it a very subtle, yet very powerful presence. I can see why people rave about this; it is very unique, very dark, and very seductive almost. The flavor really needed some time to catch up with you, the first few sips were nothing compared to the last few, really outstanding I have to say and very different then anything I had in the past.

M – Super smooth and creamy, this medium bodied ale was just about perfect in the way it should have felt. Great carbonation profile throughout the session really never let up and gave it that silky smoothness that really lets the flavor pop and keeps it from getting too heavy. In fact it was really not filling at all, despite how big it was it was excellent as far as that.

D – Now if there was ever something designed to be sipped, this was it. I mean it was tremendous, and to be honest, I did not share and took care of this bottle on my own over the course of about 3 hours. It was just amazing how well it tasted. I thought in the beginning it was going to be a little too hot, but that was my fault for serving too cold, or being to anxious take your pick. But after letting this come up in temperature, it turned into one of the best I have ever had, really a tremendously good beer.

Overall I really loved this one. Now I have not really had anything from Lost Abbey that I have not liked, but this and Devotion on back to back nights have really taken this thing to a while new level. The complexity displayed in the is uncanny and I really had a touch time with this review, as I am not usually at a loss for words with my reviews, but this one had me there, it was just that good. I really look forward to the Brandy and Bourbon barrel aged editions later this year; they will truly be breathtaking as I can only imagine the heights to which this one will get. (3,989 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours dark brown/mahogany with a brown head. Heavy dark friut aroma with lots of oak. Rich, and very malty with lots of fruity goodness up front. This was the last beer of a long night of sampling for me and Mike. Hopefully I will be lucky enough some day to have another bottle of this fine beer. (297 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I was very excited to try this one and got lucky at the Great American Beer Festival this year in Denver. The last Port beer I tried was Cuvee de Tomme at Michael Jackson's University of Pennsylvania Dinner a couple of years ago.

This American Strong Ale pours a dark brown with a slight ruby colored highlight. A thin, one finger tan head.
Aromas of sweet malt and alcohol dominate. Followed by some oakey, woody notes. Also some chocolate and a hint of vanilla. Also some dark fruit.
Taste is oak/wood and alcohol upfront. Melded nicely and not overwhelming. Followed by some chocolate, vanilla and dark fruit flavors. Maybe even a hint of rum.
Mouthfeel is very full and creamy with a wonderfully strong alcohol warmth.
Overall an amazing beer! This is one you would consider as a brewing achievement. Pushing the envelope of style while still incredibly tasty. (865 characters)

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey