The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,683 | Reviews: 668
4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this one. It was a cold and rainy day here and as I have nothing to do this evening so I figured I could give beer my full attention. When I opened this it was a gusher and my first one but it settled down and poured into my Riedel crystal snifter.

A - First of this is one heck of a beauty of a beer. The color is a dark, plum purple that borders on the verge of black and is completely opaque. No light gets through it at all and has one beauty of a head. The head is a light mocha colored color and leaves a ton of lacing.

S - Smells is a big and complex nose. Get hints of dark fruits, candied plums and dates. Also there is a big, sweet shortbread biscuity smell that is sweet and also a hint of vanilla as well. Mixed in is a spicy hint of whiskey and bourbon that you can tell is a result of the barrel aging. Also get a hint of an alcohol wafting up from this one as well. Nose has just a bit too much alcohol in it for taste as it seems to dominate just a bit and would probably mellow out with age.

T - At first the taste is a sweet caramel and shortbread. Has that sweet biscuity aspect that sits up on top. After that there is a ton of dark fruit especially the sugary plums, dates and figs. Even reminds me a bit of a port as well with the sweet dark fruit aspect of the flavor profiel This then settles down and get a kick of alcohol and the spicy whiskey aspect comes through. After this sits in the mouth, get a nice long lingering whiskey aftertaste of cinnamon and oak. I love all the complexity and changes in this one as each sip is a bit different. Has a nice warming aspect to it on the end and the flavor just lingers on.

MF - So this is a nice feeling in the my mouth. It has a nice stickiness to it that is not at all cloying and comes in and rolls over the tongue. It was a nice smoothness but yet it manages to change with the beer. At the end, there is a nice spicy tingle that sits on the tongue. Not at all astringent despite all of the alcohol in it that I could taste in it.

D - Overall this is a great beer that just bring so much to the table and yet it is complex and completely in balance. The nose is nice and dominated by the oaky and bourbon spiciness. The taste runs the gamut from sweet, spicy, fruity. I would love to try to get a hold of some more of this and even try to age some if I could wait long enough not to drink it. I think it would be interesting to see if the beer mellowed out in a Definitely a top tier beer and one of the best I've had. Also a sipper not because it is overly strong or out of balanced, but because each sip is so complex that it deserves your full attention and is a beer that requires your full attention.

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

375 ml bottle picked up for me at the brewery from seaoflament, thanks a lot Carlos, my bottle says 12.5% ABV, saved this for my 700th review, poured into my New Belgium snifter

A-Almost black in color but very dark brown with some dark red around the edges, 1/2 inch frothy light tan head that stuck around longer than I have ever seen one, with no exaggeration it was over a half hour, just not budging, after that it left some nice lacing, perfect appearance

S-The obvious aroma from the beginning is bourbon and a good amount of it, provides a somewhat stinging and spicy aroma, tons of caramel is in the nose as well which is where this beer gets its fair share of sweetness from, lots of oak, also burned sugar, toffee, very faint dark fruits, and vanilla

T-Started off with a spicy bourbon flavor, faded into some sweet malt and vanilla in the middle, finish had some booze but was mostly a caramel sweetness, burned accents and sugar present throughout the entire hour and a half I sipped on this, later on the bourbon became more subtle and lots more vanilla showed up and was even present in the aftertaste at times, slightly warming going down but nothing too serious, complex flavor makes you want more after every sip, by the end I could still taste the bourbon slightly but there was a nice mixture between milk chocolate and sweet vanilla, incredible balance and unique to say the least

M-Loads and loads of carbonation and I knew that once I popped the cork, body was medium size, motuhfeel was full of bourbon so it was mostly dry and boozy, but there was also some sweet and slightly roasty accents, taste lingered for quite some time, especially once it warmed

D-Could have drank a full 750 ml of this but would not need to, this beer was amazingly drinkable for over twelve percent but it is still very strong which is why I cannot give it a five, alcohol is also more present in this one, still tremendously smooth and easy to drink

Did not enjoy this one as much as the brandy version but it was still awesome, would say this version is more similar to a barleywine, the smaller size bottle was a perfect serving too because of how strong it is, this one was a serious gusher this is one of the most unique beers out there and if you have not tried either of the Angel's Shares then you really need to, will definitely drink again in the upcoming years, congratulations to Tomme again for brewing yet another masterpiece

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Received this brew from both Metallitone1 and WeisGuy in recent trades. This is my second brew from The Lost Abbey and I enjoyed the first one, tremendously. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- We got a gusher here! Served at a painful 40-45 degrees for this very reason, although it didn't work. Once I got the bottle under control it poured a very dark brown with hints of dark ruby around the edges. A decent one finger head forms that is very vibrant and active and only stays around for a short while. Leaves absolutely zero cap and ultra thin collar with zero lacing.
Smell- Deep burnt brown sugar is rich and vibrant with loads of oak and vanilla. Very woody and earthy with hints of sweet bourbon. A weird sort of dark fruity plum and fig backbone is well hidden behind the brash oak. I wasn't sure at all what to expect out of this brew (American Strong Ale leaves it pretty wide open) but the nose gives me a clear idea.
Taste- Deep dark and woody with a strong bourbon start that is borderline too much. Sort of sweet, sort of bitter, but plenty of dark roasty toffee. Bold vanilla coats my entire mouth in a milky sweetness seems to really supercharge the bourbon oak. A bit hot once the initial blast of flavor settles a bit but nothing intrusive. If anything, it seems to add to the nutty/woody bitter chocolate aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- Pretty rich and hearty for having a fairly big ABV. Creamy and full of life with a bit too much carbonation. This would be a definite 5 if it wasn't for the over carbonation.
Drinkability- Overall this is a pretty tasty brew that I really enjoyed. That being said, there's no way I could ever drink more than one. The oak and bourbon teeter on the border of being absolutely delicious and way over the top. Either way, its good to the last drop and ridiculously complex. Big thanks to Tim and Shane!!

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a beautiful deep brown color dark and beautiful. The small tan head quickly dissipates slowly. Average lacing and surprisingly above average carbonation. Usually, barrel aged beers become flat. Not this beer. I appears o be bottle condition. Smell of strong bourbon and sweet roasted dark malts. Tastes of strong bourbon/whiskey, coffee, sweet roasted malts, coffee, and toffee. Complex and very tasty - This WORLD CLASS. Drink and Enjoy!

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottle from Southbay - Thanks Joey.
Shared this among 4 friends. Poured into an 8oz snifter. Pour was dark brown- black with an aggressive brown head.
Aroma was very bourbony , some caramel notes also.
Taste was very complex. The bourbon was not as prominent as in the smell. It blended well with the malt and hop flavors to bring out a wonderful cornucopia of tastes. Raisin, carmel, vanilla, woody oak fantastic.
The alcohol was well hidden and not noticeable at all until it warmed the gullet.
Mouthfeel was silky smooth - definitely a 5.
Drinkability - off the charts -- I wish there was more than a 375ml bottle.
Definitely a pleasure to drink this.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Wow 9 months since my first review and I am about to review beer 400. Not bad considering I only review the good shit.

After careful consideration I picked this one. I am so lucky to have gotten two of these bad boys via trade. Thanks to CoreyRhoads and franksnbeans for these. It is a perfect brew for #400

A: Popped the cork and foam immediately came flowing from the bottle. Poured it into a Russian River Barrel Aged Tulip. The beer was a radiant dark black/brown hue. The head with four fingers high, big, bold, and rocky. Tons of carbonation this one... it did not want to die. Once it finally died down it did leave nice spots of lace all the way down the glass.

S: I am in love. Wow this smells even better than bourbon. Tons of oak and vanilla right up front. I have had some hard to get highly regarded bourbons from little known Kentucky distillers that did not smell as nice as this one. Beneath the barrel is a nice complex brew. Nice tones of dark fruits, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and chocolate. Boy can't wait to taste this one.

T: Best barrel aged brew period. (Though to be honest I won't compare it to barrel aged stouts as it's a whole different monster). The flavor is wonderful. This has the perfect amount of bourbon goodness without going overthetop at all. Tons of oak, vanilla, and whiskey. That being said the wonderful flavors of the ale Lost Abbey started with are not lost. Nice whiskey soaked dark fruits make an appearance. As does nutty toffee and burnt dark brown sugar. Soo complex and sooo good. Wonderful.

M: Medium in body smooth and creamy. If there is one flaw it may be a bit too over carbonated.

D: So nice. I had planned to share this one and to be honest I am glad I kept it all to my self. It has been quite sometime since I enjoyed a brew this much.

Overall: This is what barrel ageing is all about. Lost Abbey took a world class ale blasted it straight into another dimension. The wonderful nuances of bourbon barrel ageing really comes out in this beer. What separates it from the others is that the barrel does not detract from the ale. It is wonderful in every sense of the word. Great, Great, Great. What a fitting beer to drink for number 400. I love it, I love Lost Abbey, and man do I ♥ beer.

Cheers, Prost, Slainte, Vashe zdorovie .... To Lost Abbey, To BA, and to this 400 and 400 more.

4.64/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

what a great beer. What a rollercoaster of an experience. Initial carbonation was just short of a gusher but still it took forever for the foam to settle into a drinkable state. That nit pick aside, this is a phenomenally balanced robust, soft, deceptive, satisfying beer.

The price of entry is sinful but the result is decadent! I'm glad I took a leap of faith and bought this one. Oh, one last sad note - at 375ml's this one is over all too fast.

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to tayner for an amazing trade.

Pours a dark brown and ruby with a huge rocky light tan head. Appears to be quite overcarbonated. Nose REEKS of bourbon heat and dark fruits, wood. Taste = Bourbon! dark fruit, caramel, bourbon soaked raisins, vanilla, caramel apple, wood and bourbon and alcohol on the finish. Wonderful. Great sweetnes lingers in the mouth and on the lips. This one will be amazing after a few years in the cellar. Mouthfeel is suprisingly thin and waaayyy more carbonated than I expected. Drinkability is good for the style, but will greatly improve with some cellaring I think. Certainly an amazing concoction, bourbon is right up front. Defenitely a great cellar candidate. Pleased to have had the opportunity to have tried it. Thanks again, Dana!

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

The cork flew out of this 375ml and then the beer erupted. Dark brown, it looks just like the brandy version. Nice bourbon and wood smell. Tastes like cola and vanilla coupled with bourbon, some licorice. This is a very flavorful beer and the alcohol was well hidden. I preferred the profile on the brandy barrel version a little more but this was still very good.

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Damn. First, big thanks to Joey at South Bay Drugs for selling me this bottle. He is awesome, and everyone should check out his online services. And thank you Tomme Arthur, for allowing Joey to sell this at his establishment. Again, damn... this beer is amazing. Worth every penny, all 2,500 of 'em.

I unhinged the cage, and 15 seconds later the cork flew out of the bottle with the force that could have easily removed an eye. The beer started to foam out of the bottle and I was able to save the vast majority of the beer before it landed on the table. I poured the brew into a snifter, and sucked up the 3 or 4 milliliters that landed on the table with a long slurp. My fiancee laughed at me, but I wasn't going to let any of this beer go to waste.

Poured a 375ml bottle into a snifter.

Appearance - After the cork exploded out of the bottle, it produced a 4 finger tannish rocky head. It slowly dissipated to a thin crown that never fully disappeared. A swirl of the glass brings the head to a full 2 fingers - great retention. It leaves spotty lacing behind the further along I drink. It is a deep translucent, nearly opaque, deep brown color.

Smell - Oh man this smells fantastic. I love bourbon. It has the perfect level of sweet vanilla, woody oak, and bourbon scent - it doesn't beat you in the face. All of the scents associated with the bourbon transition to toffee, caramel, burnt sugar and a hint of chocolate. Toward the end of the scent, the presence of dark fruits, cherry and an herbal note make itself known. The scent is very complex, and though bourbon component is the dominant feature of the scent, it doesn't hinder the other scents from making their mark.

Taste - Where is the ABV? It says that it is 12.5% on the bottle, where are they hiding it? Man...the flavor is every bit as complex as the scent. The flavor opens with woody oak, vanilla, and bourbon and transitions into toffee, caramel, chocolate covered cherries and dark fruit. The flavor profile is an evolution, each flavor melding into the next. The bourbon is a huge component of the flavor, but just like the scent, it doesn't prevent the other flavors from making their presence known. It has a creamy flavor which my palate ties to the caramel. The aftertaste has a very pleasant flavor of oak and toffee that lingers long after each sip. I am struggling not to drink this one too fast. A lot of bourbon barrel aged beers seem to soak up the bourbon flavor and heat, but this beer doesn't taste hot - this beer is definitely infused with the flavor of bourbon, but I don't detect the booze at all. Well done, Tomme, well done...

Mouthfeel - It has a medium body. It is creamy, silky, and smooth as it travels over the tongue. Initially, the carbonation left a prickly, dry finish. The longer the beer sits, the less prickly it feels, and the more creamy it becomes. It feels thick as it first runs over the tongue, and then seems to thin out. I would have liked the thickness to persist throughout the entire sip - hell, now it just seems like I am nitpicking. Oh, who am I kidding? - I can't find anything wrong with the mouthfeel. It is just so creamy, and slightly sticky. The alcohol is absent in the mouthfeel, but not in my stomach - very warming. And it isn't absent in my brain function either...

Drinkability - This beer is nothing short of amazing. This is truly a feat of brewing prowess. Where did you hide that 12.5% ABV, Tomme? I don't believe you. This has been an absolute pleasure to drink from start, to... well, I'm not finished with it yet. The urge to drink this beer gives me the same sensation as I felt when I was quitting cigarettes..."just hold out for another couple of minutes... don't give in to the urge... drinking too fast... come on, maintain... SHIT! I am taking another sip."

Just get a bottle. These words won't mean anything until you taste it yourself. This is a beer that should be experienced, and only a lucky few of us will ever be able to. Get a bottle and drink it by yourself. If you are lucky enough to get a second bottle, share that one with friends.

Joey - you are awesome! Thanks for supplying the lucky few of us that actually acquired a bottle. I am in your debt. I didn't do you the favor by buying it, you did me the favor by selling it.

a - very rich looking dark brown with nice mellow head. great lacing.

s - wow! smells of dark carmel, subtle vanilla and caramelized sugar.

t - like no beer i have ever tasted! extremely complex and delightful. i can taste the bourbon barrels. sweet oak. a little black licorice?

m - mmm. velvety, smooth, good amount of carbonation. finish is to die for!

d - this is so good it pains me that i cannot get this as often as i would like. thank you sooo much chefscott79!!!!

Photo of
4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

375ml bottle.

Poured a very dark brown, virtually opaque even when held up to light. Edges suggest red tones. Formed a massive, creamy, tan colored head. Lacing was minimal, good legs after the head moved on.

Aroma gives away the bourbon barrel right out of the gate. Dark fruits (cherries & figs). Just a touch of funkiness. Pine and herbal notes. Overall, scent is very sweet.

Taste gives me coffee and chocolate. Bourbon and vanilla. Cherries, caramel and the herbal notes near the end.

Body is full and silky. Carbonation is high initially, but calms down a lot. Medium in dryness, seemed to be more noticeable in the finish than while drinking (that statement makes very little sense, even to me, but I don't know how else to express it). Alcohol content starts to warm you up right away.

This is an incredibly complex beer. Calling it a strong ale is almost insulting, but I don't know where else it should go either. I sipped this over the course of two hours and enjoyed every minute of it.

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%

2008 bottle release; Sampled April 2008
Wow, Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share is a gusher, I lost something less than a quarter bottle, even though the bottle was at 48°F / 9°C. A careful pour yields an over-flowing six-finger thick, darkened tan colored head. The beer is a deeply burnt, amber color, and shows a hint of concentrated ruby if held up directly to the light. Rich caramelized malt notes are immediately proceeded by Bourbon barrel notes of vanillin, spicy oak / Bourbon and some buttery oak character. The barrel / Bourbon notes are fairly restrained, but still are perhaps the most noticeable character in the aroma. As my nose gets used to the beer, the butterscotch / butter barrel notes become more apparent as does a warming alcohol aroma. Even a touch of mustiness seems to lurk in the background. The Bourbon barrel character actually gets a bit sharp, even harsh at times, but for the most part the nose remains deeply caramel infused, smooth bourbon barrel character.

It has been ten minutes since pouring this beer and it is still quite well carbonated; a quick swirl of my glass releases the excess CO2 though. Sweet and deeply caramelized with malt induced flavors of toffee and raisins. Starting in the middle a toasty, brown malt character kicks in and provides a touch of dryness, though not enough to offset the lingering, rich, complex, malt sweetness that just sticks to the palate. Quite a bit lighter than one might expect from a beer that is 12.5% abv; it does have some heft to it as it is certainly a sipping beer, but it definitely has a light feel to it and at times can seem a bit thin. The Bourbon barrel character is quite a bit softer than it was in the aroma. Typical flavors of spicy oak, vanillin and buttery oak (this last more so in the finish) are found here and the Bourbon provides some alcohol heat. Somehow the beer actually tastes a bit vinous to me; a mix of port, sherry and a full bodied Sancerre. The finish is spicy and sharp with hot Bourbon notes (though not overwhelmingly so).

Somehow not nearly as well integrated, nor nearly so tasty as the 2006 Brandy version (I have yet to try the 2007). I could see this getting close, but somehow the base beer has changed too much while residing in the barrel. I wonder if the changed flavor, lightened body, along with the gushing, is caused by a slight infection? If so it is not so much as to drastically effect things or even be overtly noticeable, but this beer is just enough off to keep it from being great.

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

Let me first say that at first I really wanted to not like this beer. Something about this whole frequent special releases thing kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

A- I have to say this looks just about perfect. Very dark brown, almost black with a creamy, tan head that leaves quite a bit of lacing as it falls.

S- Smell is very enticing, sweet, brown sugar, spices, almost detect a sour note towards the end, slight coffee, a bit of bourbon.

T- Taste is much different than I was suspecting from the smell. Tastes creamy, mixed spices in the middle, sweet cream, a slight bit of bourbon. Can detect the alcohol warming but it blends in so superbly. The sweetness wears on you after a while. Definitely a sipper.

M- A bit thinner than I would have guessed, very crisp with a lot of carbonation. Refreshing, I'm a little tired of beers that are way too thick, this is excellent.

D- I really really wanted to not like this beer. I tried to find as much wrong with it as I could but I just couldn't. Not a huge fan of the brewery, didn't buy into the hype and I loved it. Try to get a bottle now why there is still some in circulation, you won't regret it.

4.72/5  rDev +10%

2006 on tap at the Toronado Barleywine Festival in Feb. of 08.

What an exceptional beer. I'm not convinced this is a barleywine strictly. It's a bit heavy on the dark, chocolate and crystal malts. It pours a dark brown, almost black. It also has a significant chocolate flavor on there. There's also tons of caramel and vanilla from the bourbon barrel. It's pretty thick, full bodied, but it goes down silky smooth. This was by far the best beer at the fest, even though I'm not sure it would classify as a barleywine by BJCP or by GABF standards. I guess that's why lost abbey classifies it as one of their "non-denomination beers." Still, this is a must have for any beer fan. What a treat. I could sit for hours and just sniff that vanilla, caramel, chocolate and oak.

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

Darkest brown, with ruby edges, under a fuzzy, toasted tan head.

Sweet, smokey bourbon hits the nose first, with alcohol tagging along, ...oak, vanilla, and a hint of cherry comes behind....matched by caramel and cocoa...deep and mighty.

big buzz on the tongue, thick, slick, and whiskey-ish galore....chocolate meets rich brandy-ish favors, right up next to the bourbon feel. Long, finish, lushly textured, utterly luxuruious. Hoppy bitter smack on the tongue.

lovely stuff, satisfies my bourbon-loving sweet tooth (tongue?), though it feels like an imperial stout.

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Many, many thanks to Rustydiamond for sharing this with the early birds at the latest Brick Store gathering.

Pours a beautiful almost black that's clear when held to the light. The tight head lasts for the duration of the experience.
Nose has a bit of caramel, some hints of dark roasted grain and dark fruit, but is quite oaky, with even a hint of flemish-like sourness from the oak. Woody, heady and sweet pretty much sums this one up.
The taste smacks of the oak hinted at in the nose, and also has that hint of sourness. More caramel comes out, and other vanilla notes that compliment the oak. No hop flavor, of course, and the slightest grain bitterness to balance the sweetness, as well as the hint of sour oak.
The mouthfeel is excellent: thick, creamy, velvety, smooth, lingering and a touch of dryness at the tail end.
Overall drinkability? How does one rate a beer like this for drinkability? I will certainly have it again. I hope.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

[My review for the bourbon barrel AS was deleted evidently and replaced with the brandy barrel review, so this is to the best of my recollection and isn't as detailed as the original review...the score, however, is exactly the same]

Big thanks to Jw347 and calsbeek for bottles of this delicious beer.

a - pour a deep dark brown nearing black, one finger brown head, decent retention and lacing

s - aromas of caramel malt and dark fruits, plum and raisin, definite notes of bourbon and oak, very well integrated, but doesn't jump out of the bottle as the brandy barrel version does

t - just like the aroma, caramel malt engulfs the palate along with dark fruits, some black cherry and plum, oak and bourbon notes linger on the finish, alcohol noticeable on the breath, very smooth and well integrated

m - medium-to-full bodied, moderate carbonation, well balanced finish with significant alcohol warming

d - this is definitely a sipper, intense flavors and a little boozy, but that's exactly what this style dictates

Props to Tomme on perfectly harnessing the power of the bourbon barrel. Although I don't like this one quite as much as the brandy barrel version, both are absolutely world class beers.

4.89/5  rDev +14%

2nd installment of the Sinners Club. 12.7 oz caged and corked bottle:

Appearance: Popped the cork and a big woosh ensued with a good bit of head foaming out of the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip, the color was deep dark mahongony topped by a huge light tan head. Hints of ruby shown around the edges. Head fades slowly to a thin, densly foamed foamed head topping the beer.

Smell: Initial hints of boubon and wood then loads of deep, dark and rich fruit ensue. Currants and ripe plums drenched in bourbon come to mind with and just a bit of caramel beneath the surface.

Taste: Wow !! You would think with the smell that bourbon would be a dominating flavor but that is not the case. Big and rich, with more dark and ripe fruit. Nice vanilla undertones peak through the malty mass along with the now present bourbon. Brown sugar and caramel come into to play as well. For such a big beer alcohol is well hidden though warms the face. Hops show in the finish with a nice, smooth bitterness that leaves the mouth asking for another sip.

Mouthfeel: Velvety and smooth that sticks to your mouth, not chewy thick but the viscosity is full.

Drinkability/Notes: Sure am glad I joined the LA Sinners Club. Where else could I get such fantastic beer. Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share hits a home run. I'm not a big fan of some bourbon barrel aged beers but this one is spot on. The bourbon accents the beer not dominating the flavor profile whatsoever. Plenty of big, rich, dark fruit with hints of vanilla and bourbon all finished with a nice bit of hop bitterness. Alcohol is so well hidden its dangerous. A true sipper that gets better as it warms. Seek and Enjoy !! Highly Recommended !

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Holy crap, this just made my top 5 (of 1100) beers within the first sip. I was scared that this was another of those over-hyped beers that I read so much about. Now I'm regretting only buying 8 bottles.

The beer is very carbonated and if youre not careful it will foam over the top of the bottle. Once poured into a glass carefully it will produce a couple inches of nice beige head that lasts and lasts. The lacing isn't just normal lacing, rather its entire chunks of foam that hang on the side of the pint glass. The color is a dark red/purple/black color. The bottles description of "Burgundy" might be a bit more eloquent. Not see through at all but what do you want from a barrel aged beer. Actually its better this way.

The nose is just amazing. If you like scotch or bourbon (and I do) you'll love this. Theres also dark malts, some chocolate (no doubt from aging malts), and some whiskey smells coming out of this. I can't remember when I smelled a beer this good before. Theres been one or two DIPAs that I've tried that come close but the bourbon really gives it something extra.

It almost pains me to not give this beer a 5.0 in taste. Everything is perfect except the alcohol aftertaste. 12.5% abv will do that. Other than that, the chocolate, the oak, the whiskey, the malt, and the hop/alcohol bitterness were right on the money.

The body is nice and heavy. Very very smooth and warming. The CO2 level is just right. Its actually not as carbonated as it looks.

Every sip makes me a little more pissed that Tomme Arthur is on his rag because of his beers being sold on ebay and no longer releasing this beer in 750 ml size. Ya know, selling smaller bottles and charging more isn't going to stop people from ebaying these, its just going to upset the loyal fans and customers.

4.29/5  rDev 0%

Bottle bought at the Sinner's release (375ml) 2008 version 12.5% ABV, taken out of converted chest freezer. Poured into Stone RIS tulip glass.

A: Popped cork and the beer bubbled up ( I heared this was the case for many others, even though chilled). Thick tan head, second pour was more creamy than the first. Coffee colored.

S: Bourbon, Oak/Wood, caramel with slight vanilla. I can't keep my nose away from this beer. Slightly sour/barrel smell.

T: First thing I noticed was the strong bourbon spirit flavor (much more than the brandy barrel version). Followed by the sour/barrel characteristics. Carmel and vanillia then come through and the beer finishes with a light roasty flavor that sticks around

MF: Medium body with a sticky feel that lasts. For all the bubble up front a very light carbonation overall?

D: Can't drink too much of this stuff, like the 375 size. But a very good one serving beer.

Great job! I like the Brandy Barrel version better, but still a great beer.

This is my first review, so this is a great beer for the occasion!

Poured into a Double Bastard Glass. Beautiful appearance. Root beer brown, with a decadent head. Smell fluttered with alcohol, just for a second, then came the carmel sweetness, and malty tang. The taste. Come on!! Flirted with heavenly. Bourbon flavor, mixed expertly with rich, malt, sugar, carmel flavor. This beer felt wonderful on the mouth, dangerously almost too good. Drinkability off the charts. I could drink this beer regularly. If you have the means I highly suggest you getting this beer. Truly exceptional and one of the best beers I have ever had.

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

It's difficult to write an appropriate description of a transcendental experience. This divine concoction changed my perspective on what beer could be. It offers every bit of complexity of a great wine melded with the deep satisfaction of a superb beer. Most barleywines seem to be overly sweet or harshly alcoholic but the balance in this beer is tremendous. Do whatever you can to secure some of this incredible beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

(review of the draft version during the Bottle Release in 2008)
I went to the Bourbon Barrel release and was fortunate enough to be able to sample it in line - 3 times. Absolutely a stunning beer from first to last taste.

Glass arrived with a faint head on it with the brew a strikingly dark crimson approaching black. The bourbon nose was bold but not near overpowering.

Flavors of malt, vanilla, chocolate, with hints of molasses, bourbon, and toffee. The tastes don't linger too long, so there is no overpowering buildup. Moderate carbonation helps to cleanse the palate. Somewhat hot, much smoother than the Brandy version. A fantastic, world class beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Enjoyed on-tap at the brewery during the release. Came pre-poured, so the head was already settled into a tan ring. Deep, dark brown and opaque. The smell is dominated by the bourbon and oak. The flavor is similarly dominated, but also malty and sweet. Very creamy mouthfeel and goes down smooth despite the high alcohol.

I really want to try this head-to-head with the last release to see how they compare. I think the bourbon barrel version is less subtle and complex, but equally delicious.

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey