Red Barn Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Barn AleRed Barn Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

astrayan

12-10-2012 19:59:14 | More by astrayan
benito

4.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Wow. This is a really remarkable beer.

Huge, soapy/bubbly head atop a peach colored brew. Aromas of orange peel, grains of paradise, and unidentifiable bittering hops. There's a slight, sour-yeast scent as well.

Each sip reveals an amazing variety of flavors: ginger, orange, paradise seeds, lemon, honey, and green tea, amongst others. The spice-driven flavors are backed with a smooth, long-and-dry finish and a just-so hint of bitterness that adds a tremendous level of refreshment to the beer.

Medium in body with ever-evolving flavors. At times, the ginger stands out; with the next sip, it's the earthy hops. I don't know that I've ever had another beer that shows such a wide range of flavors with such consistency. It's a true surprise every time.

Easily the best of the year-round offerings from Lost Abbey (and the others aren't bad...Lost & Found is my favorite dubbel in the US!). This is as near-perfect a saison/beer that I've had in a long, long time.

02-28-2008 05:56:40 | More by benito
mfhlucky13

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

Wow, I want to be a Monk at The Lost Abbey.

A: Beautiful cloudy, yeasty gold with a nice thick standing head.

S: A little bit of funk, plenty of yeasty goodness with a touch of spice and fruit.

T: This is a wonderful Saison!!! A little yeasty with some spice and malt. Lots of tiny bubbles dancing on my tongue. Lightly dry finish.

M: Crisp and bubbly.

D: Very drinkable. I need to find a case to hide away for a hot summer day.

When I first read about The Lost Abbey beers I didn't believe all the hype. Then I spotted them in a little store with a large price tag. When I finally got over my stupidity I learned that The Lost Abbey is one of the best Belgian style brewers we have here in the U.S. Don't waist time like I did. Go get one now!

02-21-2008 23:18:16 | More by mfhlucky13
cjgator3

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

750ml bottle

A- Pours a golden orange color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is fabulous. It is very fruity and heavy on the spices with orange peel. This is a wonderful Saison aroma, and very complex for a domestic version.

T- The taste like the aroma features and array of spices with a really nice fruitiness and a dry herbal hop finish. Extremely enjoyable, and quite refreshing.

M- The mouthfeel is a little thin and under carbonated for my tastes, but it does not detract from the brew too much.

D- This is one of the more drinkable Saisons that I have tried, despite it's relatively high ABV. If this were available where I live, it would be a staple in my fridge.

Overall, Lost Abbey Red Barn Ale is an outstanding Saison that is highly recommended. Saisons are my favorite beer style, and this one ranks up near the top of my favorites.

09-17-2008 02:08:07 | More by cjgator3
xymyl

Arizona

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

Color is murky light orange/golden color with a fluffy white head that settles to about 1/8 inch over time. Carbonation is medium.

Smell is at first strong banana and clove but eventually gives way to citrus and more spice. Apples and pears eventually show up as well. Green hop aromas show up as minor players. Yeast and light vinyl phenols (smokey bandaid and wool) show up deep in the background and only enhance the foreground spice, flowers and fruit. Eventually a malty sweetness struggles out of the din, followed by a distant soft toasty note.

Fruits including oranges, lemon, apples, pears, pineapples, and even green grapes and mango are vibrant beneath a blanket of spices including cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon upfront. The spice is complex and wonderful as you drink deeper, ranging from one pepper to another, it tastes of black pepper, but I know there is alligator pepper here as well and can taste it jumping on the very back of my tongue. Although green hops mingle with every sip, there is a hoppy bitter end to this journey that combines with a under-ripe mango note that is disturbingly fascinating.

Overall: I have been waiting to try this beer for a long time and the result of my quest does not disappoint. The brew is medium bodied, robust, complex and infinitely drinkable. I say this after drinking this 750ml bottle on my own over the course of a few hours. I'm almost finished with the beer as I write this, and I definitely want more. But there is no more, and I'll have to settle for a glass of water and dreams of visiting the little old STONE brewery (now lost abbey) again one day but seeing everything as new. Drinking it from the Affligem Chalice my younger brother gave me. He gave me the beer as well.

02-10-2008 04:15:33 | More by xymyl
PhillyStyle

Georgia

1 pint 9.4 oz bottle, Bottled 12/3/2010:

The beer pours a hazy bright orange with a huge head, white, and foamy. Excellent lacing and the head was very well retained. Ultimately settled to a cap that I would have expected on a nice stout instead of farmhouse ale.

Smells like a farmhouse ale should...a nice big aroma. Nice Belgian yeast, sweetness and spices.

Excellent flavor, exactly what I expected, a very nice Belgian malt, a hint of sweetness and some pepper.

The beer had a medium mouthfeel, excellent carbonation, extremely smooth and a nice dry aftertaste.

The beer is extremely drinkable, but I also drank the bottle over a 2 hour time period. Overall, this is an excellent beer if you like Belgian beer. This is probably the best Farmhouse Ale that I have tried.

02-14-2011 19:41:03 | More by PhillyStyle
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

A: amber color, clear with incredible rocky deep head
S: full, deep farmhouse yeast and fruit, cloying
T: great taste, good hop finish with strong earthy spice and yeast
M: alive, it bursts with farmhouse saison qualities

I really liked this beer. Good job.

01-24-2012 01:41:19 | More by wisrarebeer