Red Barn Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Barn AleRed Barn Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

This Farmhouse Ale traces its roots to the small rustic breweries of Southern Belgium. The word Saison comes to us from the French language and it means Season. Lightly spiced with Organic Ginger, Orange Peels, Black Pepper and Grains of Paradise, this brew promises to quench your thirst on the hottest Southern California days or wherever your travels may take you.
Ratings: 905 | Reviews: 378
4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Wow. This is a really remarkable beer.

Huge, soapy/bubbly head atop a peach colored brew. Aromas of orange peel, grains of paradise, and unidentifiable bittering hops. There's a slight, sour-yeast scent as well.

Each sip reveals an amazing variety of flavors: ginger, orange, paradise seeds, lemon, honey, and green tea, amongst others. The spice-driven flavors are backed with a smooth, long-and-dry finish and a just-so hint of bitterness that adds a tremendous level of refreshment to the beer.

Medium in body with ever-evolving flavors. At times, the ginger stands out; with the next sip, it's the earthy hops. I don't know that I've ever had another beer that shows such a wide range of flavors with such consistency. It's a true surprise every time.

Easily the best of the year-round offerings from Lost Abbey (and the others aren't bad...Lost & Found is my favorite dubbel in the US!). This is as near-perfect a saison/beer that I've had in a long, long time.

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

Wow, I want to be a Monk at The Lost Abbey.

A: Beautiful cloudy, yeasty gold with a nice thick standing head.

S: A little bit of funk, plenty of yeasty goodness with a touch of spice and fruit.

T: This is a wonderful Saison!!! A little yeasty with some spice and malt. Lots of tiny bubbles dancing on my tongue. Lightly dry finish.

M: Crisp and bubbly.

D: Very drinkable. I need to find a case to hide away for a hot summer day.

When I first read about The Lost Abbey beers I didn't believe all the hype. Then I spotted them in a little store with a large price tag. When I finally got over my stupidity I learned that The Lost Abbey is one of the best Belgian style brewers we have here in the U.S. Don't waist time like I did. Go get one now!

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%

750ml bottle

A- Pours a golden orange color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is fabulous. It is very fruity and heavy on the spices with orange peel. This is a wonderful Saison aroma, and very complex for a domestic version.

T- The taste like the aroma features and array of spices with a really nice fruitiness and a dry herbal hop finish. Extremely enjoyable, and quite refreshing.

M- The mouthfeel is a little thin and under carbonated for my tastes, but it does not detract from the brew too much.

D- This is one of the more drinkable Saisons that I have tried, despite it's relatively high ABV. If this were available where I live, it would be a staple in my fridge.

Overall, Lost Abbey Red Barn Ale is an outstanding Saison that is highly recommended. Saisons are my favorite beer style, and this one ranks up near the top of my favorites.

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

Color is murky light orange/golden color with a fluffy white head that settles to about 1/8 inch over time. Carbonation is medium.

Smell is at first strong banana and clove but eventually gives way to citrus and more spice. Apples and pears eventually show up as well. Green hop aromas show up as minor players. Yeast and light vinyl phenols (smokey bandaid and wool) show up deep in the background and only enhance the foreground spice, flowers and fruit. Eventually a malty sweetness struggles out of the din, followed by a distant soft toasty note.

Fruits including oranges, lemon, apples, pears, pineapples, and even green grapes and mango are vibrant beneath a blanket of spices including cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon upfront. The spice is complex and wonderful as you drink deeper, ranging from one pepper to another, it tastes of black pepper, but I know there is alligator pepper here as well and can taste it jumping on the very back of my tongue. Although green hops mingle with every sip, there is a hoppy bitter end to this journey that combines with a under-ripe mango note that is disturbingly fascinating.

Overall: I have been waiting to try this beer for a long time and the result of my quest does not disappoint. The brew is medium bodied, robust, complex and infinitely drinkable. I say this after drinking this 750ml bottle on my own over the course of a few hours. I'm almost finished with the beer as I write this, and I definitely want more. But there is no more, and I'll have to settle for a glass of water and dreams of visiting the little old STONE brewery (now lost abbey) again one day but seeing everything as new. Drinking it from the Affligem Chalice my younger brother gave me. He gave me the beer as well.

4.73/5  rDev +20.4%

1 pint 9.4 oz bottle, Bottled 12/3/2010:

The beer pours a hazy bright orange with a huge head, white, and foamy. Excellent lacing and the head was very well retained. Ultimately settled to a cap that I would have expected on a nice stout instead of farmhouse ale.

Smells like a farmhouse ale should...a nice big aroma. Nice Belgian yeast, sweetness and spices.

Excellent flavor, exactly what I expected, a very nice Belgian malt, a hint of sweetness and some pepper.

The beer had a medium mouthfeel, excellent carbonation, extremely smooth and a nice dry aftertaste.

The beer is extremely drinkable, but I also drank the bottle over a 2 hour time period. Overall, this is an excellent beer if you like Belgian beer. This is probably the best Farmhouse Ale that I have tried.

4.73/5  rDev +20.4%

A: amber color, clear with incredible rocky deep head
S: full, deep farmhouse yeast and fruit, cloying
T: great taste, good hop finish with strong earthy spice and yeast
M: alive, it bursts with farmhouse saison qualities

I really liked this beer. Good job.

4.69/5  rDev +19.3%

One of the best saison's and could be one of the best beers by Lost Abbey (that is saying something). Pours a more straw colored yellow with a cloudy appearance. A soft white head with good staying power but not much lacing.

The nose is complex but subtle. A nice balance between spice and malt. There is a grainy and wheaty flavor with a almost rye backing that give off a nice aroma. There are some nice orange, corrinader, ginger and pepper notes. Some nice yeasty notes as well with a Belgian aroma. Some minor rose peddles, but overall a very nice blend.

The taste is similar. The malt is less accentuated but still has a grain and wheat flavor. Some minor biscuit and an almost flour taste. The spice and esters come out more and add real complexity. Some fruity orange and lemon citrus undertones. The pepper and ginger back off but there is some nice rose and herbal quality with a somewhat earthy/floral taste. Very nice yeast note that brings out soft Belgian characteristics.

The body starts off with moderate taste but finishes with a dry almost crisp finish. Light carbonation helps accentuate this. Overall a great beer for a difficult style to brew. Good job.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

Wow, excellent beer! Poured at a good good temperature with a mammoth, super frothy, foamy, billowy, off-white head and lots of clingy lace. Color is a very slightly hazy straw amber with some bubble trails. Aroma upon first pouring had a fleeting perfumey, fruity, honey, mustiness that quickly was replaced by malt, yeast, herbs. Flavor's somewhat like nose, has a great bitter-carbonic tang balance with just enough sweetness to make this incredibly tasty and drinkable yet satisfying. Body and carbonation are perfect - great burps too. Finish is like flavor, of average length, and a bit boozy. One of the best saisons ever - including any Belgian.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from caged and corked 750ml bottle(room temp) a cloudy reddish gold with a large head of foam that grew as it was sitting in my New Belgium goblet. It took several minutes for the foam to settle down but once it did, I was left with a solid layer with lots of lacing hugging my glass. Very very nice.

The smell was dominated by strong citrus and yeasty notes which made for a good nose.

The taste is surprisingly sweet up front. I note sweet malt but not really caramelly sweet, followed by a good dose of spice and fruit with a healthy portion of funk that offsets the sweetness nicely. Further in to the bottle, the fruit really asserts itself with nice apricot and fig flavours mixed in with hints of banana and clove. There's a *lot* of complexity in this Saison and as it warms up(even from room temp) the various flavours just keep getting better and better at least..to my palate. Wow. This is one heck of a brew!

I've now poured the last bit in my glass and it's: cloudier than ever due to the natural sediment and..the malt profile is probably at its zenith because I'm tasting a sweet malty goodness that's actually more pronounced than my first sips but....it's more balanced and tastier because the fruit and funk are there to "guide" it. Again. Wow....what a brew!

Bottom line Part 2: This is an outstanding Saison. I dare say, the best I've ever tasted!

Bottom line: This is a *wonderful* Saison from yet another small brewery in California.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

Pouring a cellar temp botle into a snifter and splitting thebottle with Stopper.
The beer is a clear copper hue with bleached white creamy head of 4 cm foaming up with a gentle pour. The head fades to a sturdy surface layer with tight lattice remaining on the sides of the glass as it fades.

Aroma is some malty caramel and a dose of cloves. Maybe a little doughy yeast mixed in but not overly funky or musty. First sip reveals an average body but full tingly carbonation that causes burps throughout the sampling.
Flavor is sweet malt and some fruity notes, primarily red grape and cloves. No real booze shows through, but there is a little grassy hop note towards the finish. The finish also dries out my palate on the end of each sip, making me thirst for more beer.
This is a nice complex beer that wasnt what I anticipated, but certainly was an enjoyable experience.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: It looks like honey in a glass; deep orange with a solid head leaving a legacy of lace in its tracks.

Smell: Nice sweet grain upfront with sweet orange rounding out the experience. An impressive mix of grain and sweet citrus.

Taste: Citrus, honey, well balanced with a perfectly subtle and mild bitter finish. This just keeps getting better.

Mouthfeel: Hearty and confident yet smooth and balanced.

Drinkability: this is definitely a sipper. The thing is, I don't think I can stop sipping. A vacation in a bottle...

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet. Appearance is an amazing golden blonde tint, a thick white foam is left behind after a soft pour. Some lacing is left behind. The aroma here is amazing. It's a mixture of funky Belgian yeast, floral notes, and soft fruity elements. Something in my mind is screaming pineapple and tropical fruit. The taste is delicious as well. Smooth, refreshing, and certifiably funky. Absolutely drinkable, could sip on this one all day. Especially during the hot Central Valley summer we've got coming up in Northern California. Lost Abbey has done this Belgian classic better than most Belgians. This is at or above the efforts of DuPont, and in IMO, well above Hennepin or any American Saisons. Overall, a fantastic effort on the part of Port/Lost Abbey.

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer pours a cloudy orange color, with a yellow tint. It boasts a thick, fluffy white head, with a slight yellow tint to it. The head fades very slowly, leaving many laces.

This beer has a citrusy aroma. I can smell some orange, and some lemon. It has a slightly grainy aroma also. I can smell some spices, like coriander, and some cloves. It has a very slight peppery hop aroma also.

This beer tastes citrusy. Mostly lemon. It has a strong spicy flavor. Cloves, coriander and ginger. It also tastes grainy. It has a sweet flavor as well. It has a slight earthy yeast flavor.

This beer is quite refreshing. It is smooth and crisp. It leaves a spicy aftertaste.

This beer would make an excelent session beer. It is smooth, and it is not too high in alcohol.

Overall: I have never been disapointed with anything that Tomme Arthur has made. This is no exception. This beer is great. Tomme should be brewing in Belgium.

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

This is my new favorite beer. I've tried most of the Lost Abbey/Port Brewing beers now and this is my favorite one.

A - surprised me how light colored this beer is, I kind of expected a darker appearance based on the description, being a bit darker than a lager in appearance. Had a quick disappearing head.
S - had a bit of a spicy smell, mabye a bit of cinnamon or all spice - yes more all spicy
T - starts of without too much, but then get some spicy characteristics after the sip. The alcohol is really hidden in the taste. Some hops at the beginning but noticeable at the end.
D - high. Had a 4 oz sampler and would have been much happier with a 22 oz bottle.

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

The act of pouring this sweet nectar into my Duvel tulip fills the room with a dusting of funky dry sweetness. A 50% pour ushers in two solid fingers of dense, rocky eggshell white foam capping a body the color of orange marmalade. Lacing is excellent.

Entry is exciting with tiny-bubbled carbonation exploding onto the palate, literally scrubbing clean the rear base of the tongue. Midtaste is classic Saison, leading with pepper, yeast, and light malt. The finish is stellar...dry, funky, and highlighted by a most beautiful yeast fade.

Fantastic!

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: 750ml tall thin necked brown bottle sealed with a black cage, black steel cap and a simple thumbed real cork which has the words The Lost Abbey on it with the website address. Label arrangement is rather cool, just like the BA Avatar my bottle has an Abbey Window shaped main label with a separate rectangular label below it. Labeled as ‘The Lost Abbey Red Barn Ale Malt Beverage Brewed with Spices’ and listed at 6.7% alc. by vol. No freshness date or best before. Reverse label has lots of blurb on it, but harks back to some of the influence for The Lost Abbey brand no doubt.

“Off in the distance, a Red Barn hides out content to do nothing more than was asked of it. Another summer day stretches out towards the crisp autumn nights and soon, work will begin on another harvest. The barn relaxes knowing full well that for each and every season, it will remain unmoved- yet touched by everything that nature has to offer. And we’re left to wonder, does anyone notice or even care to stop and appreciate the beauty of the Red Barn? We did and so we brewed this lightly spiced farmhouse al in honor of our favorite season….summer! www.lostabbey.com”

Appearance: Hazed peach with an apricot hue. Sunset body reaps a romantic warm feeling. Super looking white head rises with a Belgian confidence and laces accordingly. Sits in the glass with a cocky “fuck you” look which really does impart a tremendous start to the proceedings. Finely dissolved conditioning throughout, long lasting head is the business. Classic presentation!

Nose: Melting Marmalade over a hot slice of toast. Rustic tones are feisty and blend with grains of paradise and Satsuma oranges. Yeast tones scintillate and the peppered spices excite.

Taste: Tingling start, ginger and orange zest punctuate the accentuated zingy aspects of this Farmhouse. The lightly spiced hop laden body rides the malt backed waves like a professional Surfer with all the deftness of the keyboards on a Rainbow track. If I have any complaints, or rather constructive comments, it is that the “orange” is a little too much at times, but that is hardly a complaint. The wild yeasty funkiness works its way up as the temperature rises and the brew breathes.

Mouthfeel: The finely dissolved conditioning is supportive, orange tones and spiced hops with some floral aspects too. Silky and imminently drinkable. Rising power from the funk provides a satisfying warmth, as does the orange alcohol too.

Drinkability: It is filled with an intense set of tastes, and one of the stronger tasting American Farmhouse Saisons. Even so, Dupont fans will no doubt take to this like a duck to water. I had a very easy time wrestling with this one. Dangerously quaffable!

Overall: The third of the Lost Abbey brews which I have tried to date, and by far the best. The ‘Avant Garde’ was more “average” Garde but the ‘Lost & Found’ was a solid Dubbel. Yet the ‘Red Barn’ Farmhouse really shines, from the perfect looks right through to the classic nose and traditional taste profile, all that and its damn drinkable too!! This is exactly what I expected, it does not disappoint. My next trip to Belgium is only 6 months away but this has me pining for next Easter.

Big girl in the red (barn) dress,
She's just trying to impress us,
And she's got the barley fever,
But she doesn't make a sound,
She's just hanging around….

Worth hanging around for more of this…..

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: The beer pours a honey-like color. I’m getting about two inches of egg-white colored head with fantastic lacing. The beer was poured into a Stone IRS snifter.

Smell: I’m getting lots and lots of fruit. The more easily identifiable aromas are that of orange peel and grapefruit. I also get a hint of ginger and cloves.

Taste: The beer first tastes very yeasty, but soon transitions into a sour masterpiece. Much like the aroma, I’m tasting a lot of citrus. It does taste a bit spicier than other saisons but I find this to be a pleasant surprise.

Mouthfeel: The beer is medium to full bodied and fairly creamy for a saison. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: This is an exceptional crafted saison that is very easy to pair. Good work Tomme!

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

'Sunshine glinting off a krugerrand' gold. An abundance of bubbles gives the beer a sparkly look and has created a majestic crown of lemony ivory that might have been created in the Belgian countryside rather than in San Marcos. Chunky hunks of foamy lace stick like glue. The appearance should become even more spectacular when the yeast from the bottom of the bottle is added.

The nose is wonderously spicy and pretty much defines the saison style (it could pass for a BSPA as well). It's incredibly juicy fruity and has a perfect amount of zippy zestiness from the addition of ginger, orange peel, black pepper and grains of paradise. It's difficult to appreciate the pepper, but the others definitely aren't shy.

Beer like this makes me wonder why I never think of saisons/farmhouse ales when asked to name my favorite styles. A well-brewed saison is incredibly versatile and is nicely quenching at any time of year. Having had a few Lost Abbeys offerings prior to Red Barn, I'm not a bit surprised at the complexity that swirls across my tongue with each eagerly anticipated mouthful.

The lush fruitiness underlying the top note fireworks is all kinds of delicious. I'm reminded of peaches, apricots and buttery pears. A semi-firm hop presence keeps things balanced from the sweet-bitter perspective. Stopping right there would have made for a sublime ale. Adding the rest makes for an ale to savor... an ale to linger over... an ale to make me wish I lived in Southern California.

The best part about the spices is how none of them hog the spotlight. The taste buds register a warm blip of ginger here, a tart tang of orange peel there, and a playful nip of black pepper here, there and everywhere. I'm torn between trying to appreciate each of them in turn and simply enjoying the glorious whole as it washes over my palate.

The mouthfeel falls a bit short of great, but only because I'm comparing it to Belgium's finest. It could stand to be slightly more full and creamy, slightly more supple. It's odd that I liked it more when the beer was cool than I do as it warms.

I can no longer deny the obvious. Even though I didn't think there was any room, The Lost Abbey (Port Brewing) has exploded into the upper reaches of my 'top-10 breweries in the U.S.' list. They'll almost certainly be a permanent fixture as long as they continue to brew outstanding beer like Red Barn Ale. As far as I'm concerned, Tomme Arthur, Vinnie Cilurzo and Rob Todd comprise the holy trinity of Belgian brewing, American-style.

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much thanks to futang for the trade.

A-Pours golden, slightly red with a pillowy fluffy three fingered head. sheets of lace CLING to the side. A sight to behold.

S-First hits you with that horse blanket funk, then a slightly sweet sugary scent. Nice and potent.

T--Very funky. After that fades you get a bit of candi sugar sweetness and hints of black pepper, citrus and tropical fruit.. The funk provides layers of yeasty goodness without overpowering. Very well balanced without holding back. There is also an underlying bitterness that is there throughout and really makes its presence known in the aftertaste. As it warms more of the spice comes through. It lists ginger and grains of paradise, they are muted enough to disguise their origin but they add something here even though I cannot pick them out.

M-Effervescent without being too thin.

D-This is delicious. I love NYC but right now I miss San Diego. I hope they expand the distribution for this one. Another hit for port brewing.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

750 ml bottle from Marnia while she was in California in October of 2011. Poured into my perfect pint. The cork popped with a satisfying pop.

Appearance: A slightly hazy straw with a huge rocky head. Obviously left lacing and dollop on my nose as well.

Smell: Citrus and coriander with wheat and light malts. Pleasant and no surprises.

Taste: A very satisfying mix of complex flavors, one of the best saisons that I have had. Starts with a refreshing mild cracker malt with a bit of sweetness that travels through the swallow. Citrus and coriander (not overpowering) jump in right at the middle. The yeast contribute a ton of phenolic, almost bubble gum character to the flavor. An almost unexpected bitterness comes on in the end to really give this one a great balance.

Mouthfeel: For a huge a head as it has, this one does not hold onto carbonation very well. The carbonation is lower and the body is middling and slick.

Overall: I really liked this saison, such a big nice presentation makes for an ideal bottle to share our have with an elegant dinner instead of wine. I will try to pick this up again.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

After some difficulty getting the cork out, it finally pops and pours a nice golden yellow color. It has nice clarity which seems unusual for the style. Great head though and it sticks around well with good lacing down the glass.

Aroma is spicy and floral with a good belgian yeast.

Flavor is very good. Sweet and fruity up front but finishes spicy and dry. Very clean and well balanced too. I would say this is one of the best saisons I've had. Even better than some genuine Belgians!

Mouthfeel is good, medium body, nice level of carbonation, and clean.

Drinkability is also very good, especially for a Belgian style. Many times they can be too powerful both in flavor and in alcohol. This one is balanced, clean, and not overpowering. Very well done.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

P: 1 pint 9.4 FL oz Tall brown bottle. corked top. No best by date. Poured into a snifter.

A: 2 Finger white head that retains well. a cloudy orange color to the beer. no lacing. a very beautiful looking beer!

S: There is a sourness to this beer, that kind of mixes to citrus smell. You can get some bitterness from the hops. and a musty smell.

T: Same with the smell! got the same thing. a bit sour, bitterness, orange citrus, musty, and cellar flavor.

M: Light to medium body, very carbonated.

D: Really love this beer, lots to this beer. another great one from lost abbey! i want another already!

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a hazy yellow color with a big off white head. In the aroma, lemon citrus, lemon grass, spice and yeast. In the taste, spicy and yeasty, with a dry lemon grass earth and a small tartness. A spice bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a lightly dry lemon citrus and spice in the aftertaste. Spicy, refreshing, small tartness, and it is very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a somewhat hazy light amber color with a large two inch white head. Nice retention but no lacing.

The aroma is really quite delicious. Some nice fruits including orange and banana accompanied by a light pale malt sweetness and a bit of yeasty spice. As it warms a bit of a "tart" aroma makes an appearance. Overall, just really pretty.

The taste is quite nice. A nice bit of citrus showing off some orange and lemon. Some pale malt sweetness with a bit of spice. The citrusy acid really dominates and is really refreshing.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and highly carbonated. Really refreshing and cleansing.

Drinkability is pretty high. It's a delicious farmhouse giving great flavors. Relatively low alcohol makes for easy drinking. Just easy drinking, smooth, and refreshing. A great treat indeed.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Pours a golden straw yellow. Tons of effervesence and hazy. A whipped cream like head of about two fingers tops it off leaving some great lacing behind. A very nice and traditional looking saison.

S: A nice zesty nose. lemon grassy and spicy. Some nice citrus notes and candy sweetness. Light funky barnyard in the background just after the peach notes.

T: This is one of the most flavorful saisons I've had. Bitter sweet and spicy. Lots of tangy citrus and white peppercorns.

M: A bigger and creamier mouthfeel then I'm used to in a farmhouse. Very smooth and the carbonation tickles the tongue. Very drinkable.

Overall: this is one of the better saisons I've ever had. Great flavor and mouthfeel. Refreshing and well crafted. I really like the lable picture too.

Red Barn Ale from The Lost Abbey