Red Barn Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Barn AleRed Barn Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 08-23-2006

This Farmhouse Ale traces its roots to the small rustic breweries of Southern Belgium. The word Saison comes to us from the French language and it means Season. Lightly spiced with Organic Ginger, Orange Peels, Black Pepper and Grains of Paradise, this brew promises to quench your thirst on the hottest Southern California days or wherever your travels may take you.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 881 | Reviews: 374

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

750 ml bottle from Marnia while she was in California in October of 2011. Poured into my perfect pint. The cork popped with a satisfying pop.

Appearance: A slightly hazy straw with a huge rocky head. Obviously left lacing and dollop on my nose as well.

Smell: Citrus and coriander with wheat and light malts. Pleasant and no surprises.

Taste: A very satisfying mix of complex flavors, one of the best saisons that I have had. Starts with a refreshing mild cracker malt with a bit of sweetness that travels through the swallow. Citrus and coriander (not overpowering) jump in right at the middle. The yeast contribute a ton of phenolic, almost bubble gum character to the flavor. An almost unexpected bitterness comes on in the end to really give this one a great balance.

Mouthfeel: For a huge a head as it has, this one does not hold onto carbonation very well. The carbonation is lower and the body is middling and slick.

Overall: I really liked this saison, such a big nice presentation makes for an ideal bottle to share our have with an elegant dinner instead of wine. I will try to pick this up again.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The Red Barn Ale was a pleasant surprise for me. I really enjoyed this Red and loved the combination of fruitiness to bold ale flavors. I had this on tap at Yardhouse and would recommend it. Contains a very rich finish too that was nice and refreshing.

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

a real fine saison, much different than expected, with very little spice or fruit to it, just a whole lot of barnyard funk, which is a nice change of pace in the ever more crowded world of american made saisons. murky pale copper in color, maybe a little lighter than that, with four inches or so of bone white head with outstanding retention. the nose is all yeast, grassy and dry, mouth watering. there is maybe just a touch of lemony citrus to the flavor, but again its all yeast for me. straw and pollen and wet grass. its very summery, august beer, delicate and robust at the same time, no gimmicks. excellent carbonation and a lighter than medium body. its down easy and crackling dry in the finish. had it side by side with the dupont saison, and in a lot of ways i liked this better. it has a great yeast strain, unlike any other i can recall, and the beer just comes together really well. yet another fine lost abbey product, who after a couple of so-so beers is starting to win me back over with stuff like this.

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

750 ml poured into tulip

A: Dark yellow, cloudy with a nice foamy white head with some nice medium bubbled head.

S: Belgian yeast is very upfront and apparent. Very grain like notes and earthy. Almost lager like in a way with no hot aroma, as expected.

T: Light and earthy. Belgian yeast comes through very well with some good bitterness. Very clean tasting, fits the style well. Balance is good, slightly sweet yet bitterness works well.

M: very crisp and refreshing with good carbonation and bitterness. Earthy character that lingers well. Abv is moderate at 6.7 % but does leave a warm feel after drinking.

O: Good all round Saison, happier than expected but balance was still good.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Yet another farmhouse ale I picked up at the house of 1,000 beers. These don't seem to move well so this beer could be over 2 years old. Picked up for 5 bucks.

A - Definitely closer to the style foamy white head around a inch that seems to fizz out slowly (tons of carbonation) color is that of hazy orange yellow tint.

S - Smell is rather timid than most i have purchased which is kind of welcome. Faint lemon tart, some funk, and bready malts seem to lead.

T - Mild but rather good it's pretty much your basic American version of the style yet a with a little more funky yeast. Mostly am tasting the typical mild sourdough flavor with grassy undertones and a mild bit of Brett.

M - As always bubbly light and cirsp. Quite good and rightly on par with ABV.

Overall I quite enjoyed my first Lost Abbey beer. It's light, crisp, with no offensive flavors or bittering yeasts. Worth seeking the other beers out for 10+ dollars? Most likely never.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

Another bottle picked up on my holiday trip to NJ. First beer I've reviewed from Lost Abbey? Surprising, but true. Bottled 4 January 2012.

Pours a mildly hazy medium golden yellow, with touches of orange. Quite a nice color, and just clear enough that I can see the curtain of bubbles rising up. An eruption of nearly-white head gradually relaxes to a thick cap with rolling hills, and leaves big gobs of foam all over the place. Wowser.

Smell is... nonexistent. Even if I bury my nose in the glass, I get nothing. I can imagine some light floral notes, and can almost convince myself of some yeasty aromas. But really, if I were blindfolded, and you held this up to my nose, I doubt I would know it was there. As it warms up, it gains a bit more presence, but it's still really faint.

Taste is earthy, moderately yeasty, with a bitter twist. There's not a lot here that initially screams saison to me, but the yeast and that earthy flavor comes through strong in a second wave. There's also a chomp of flower petal slick/warm/bitter. It's decent, but only a piece of what I'm looking for. Flowers start to get more pronounced as I make my way through the glass.

Medium-bodied, a little sticky. Carbonation is medium-low but persistent, lasting until the flavor goes, too.

Not a bad saison, but not my favorite. It's earthy and mildly bitter, and at times I feel like I'm licking a flower. Looks gorgeous, though.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Red Barn Ale from The Lost Abbey