Cuvee De Tomme - The Lost Abbey

Cuvee De TommeCuvee De Tomme

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: jcalabre on 06-14-2003

Once upon a time it was the most award winning Pizza Port beer of all time. Now it has found a new home at The Lost Abbey.

A massive brown ale base that is made from four fermentable sugars including Malted Barley, Raisins, Candi Sugar and Sour Cherries, this beer is fully fermented before being placed in Bourbon barrels where the beer ages for one year with the Sour Cherries and the wild Brettanomyces yeast that we inoculate the barrels with.
Reviews: 401 | Hads: 1,114

2001 North Vineyard. Tomme produces an unlabeled bottle with cryptic Sharpie markings on the cap. According to him, an unreleased early vintage. Pouring into the glass a cherubic Indian ruby sapphire, glowing with clear glassy edges and a blood rim. Aroma carries one away into an overwhelming presence of intense red fruits from across the board, cherries and raisins percolate in the core of my brain. So bright, alive and refined. Absolutely stunning. Finally passing my lips, this lubricious liquid takes form as a mindnumbing shapeshifter. What first presents itself as a unmarked, world class malt and fruit chimeric belgian strong ale, quickly cloaks itself in a world of sourness. The best of both worlds! Trying to parse out the intricate corners of the beer, I’m at a loss, it’s all too much. Rodenbach Alexander quickly comes to mind. The fruit character so deft, real and upfront. Palate couldn’t be more satisfying, yet exacting. I’ll review again with a bottle of the current batch, but I needed to expunge my thoughts with this rarest of gems. (1,062 characters)

2008 bottling poured into my RR BA stem. Nice 74 degrees on the front porch, with winds out of the northwest at 2 mph.

Poured a deep mysterious brown into the glass. Or is it reddish brown? From the side, it is all brown with a few teases of red. Standing over top, I really see more cherry than brown. Fizzy white head that quickly dissolved.

Intoxicating aromas of cherry tartness, funk, bourbon hotness with a slight hint of toffee. Nostrils are tingly and ready to dive in.

Cherry taste hits me right away...nice & tart. Funky, tart, cherry, dry...real sexy. So rich and complex...layers upon layers. I get lots of hot bourbon flavor and not really any pronounced oak, which I absolutely love.

Mouthfeel of cherry, funk, & dry tartness. Super smooth, sex machine. For an ale this complex, with the 11% weight, I could drink all night. I savored the 12.7 for over 60 minutes, adding the yeast at the very end of my session.

Glory, glory, hallelujah! (958 characters)

Perfectly paired with some Moser-Roth dark chocolate. Poured into a duvel tulip glass. Nice and fizzy.

Very sour; gleeky. Intensely, bracingly tart. Sweet tart, sour-patch kid tart, but not vinegary. Like the pickled plums found in some sushi.

Loads and loads of dark fruits: sour black cherries, extremely rich, sticky sour cherry pie. Mouthfillingly complex. No roast or coffee sharpness. I didn't pick up much horsey funkiness, but there are some dark currents like tobacco or leather.

Comparatively dry, clean aftertaste with a bit of lingering sour cherry. Sort of a reproduction of a 19th century, extremely old vintage infected strong ale. Sets a new standard. (672 characters)

OMG.

Bottle SU#118 (out of 350) is one of the oldest iterations of Cuvee de Tomme. I bought it from Pizza Port Solana Beach in 03 or 04. It has the silver foil over a bottle cap over a cork. It spent 2 more years in sunny San Diego with me, and then another 2 years up in the San Francisco Bay Area, with no protection from the ambient temperature. In the last 2 years, I finally put this 750ml bottle in a wine frig to sit at 55F.

OMG.

The cork showed no signs of expansion or bulging above the bottle rim. There was no gasp of carbonation when I uncorked the bottle. I gently poured the beer into my unibroue goblet. At first it appeared flat, but then I saw a thin lacing of super microfine bubbles. The smallest bubbles I've ever seen, even compared to champagne. It's a murky dark brown that is a little bit lighter on the edges.

The aroma is a silky blended choco-floral-cherry deal. Restrained early on as I served it from the refrigerator. As it warmed, the deep chocolate aroma came out more.

On the tongue, I get moderate to strong cherry sourness tailed by a lovely chocolate presence. Then the sour cherry surges, while being balanced by a steady rind-like hop bitterness (grapefruit pith or lime pith) and the super crisp carbonation. The bitterness persists a little more than necessary.

OMG.

This beer is just gorgeous. This crisp carbonation and sourness are perfect for the fresh salmon burgers I threw together. They even match the mini-cupcakes that my wife brought home. Each sip refreshes the palate perfectly. It's medium to full bodied, and it tastes like it's a 3% abv beer. Incredible! I saved a few ounces in the bottle to try tomorrow, but I could easily have finished the entire 750ml. An 11.5% beer that I can drink like a session beer. Incredible!!!! OMG this beer defied all odds -- 7 years old and less than ideal storage conditions -- and it is just beautiful. I have one more Cuvee de Tomme from 05, I think, so I think I may sit on it 2 more years to get to 7 years old as well =) (2,023 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +20%

An excellent Flanders brown. Poured a dark brown (SRM 37) out of the tap. Minimal head. Medium tart, but balanced with the sweetness of the roasted malt, it is not too acetic and puckery. ABV listed at 11 percent, but there is absolutely no alcohol burn. Huge beer that manages to hide its alcohol in tartness and malt and notes of sour cherry and vanilla. Great take on the Flanders brown. (390 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Had this one on tap at a Monk's event which Tomme Arthur showed up to speak with the partons.

A: Pours a murky brown with okay head that eventually dissipates.

S: Smells of raisin, cherries, Brett, and a sour vinegar like aroma. As I'm still getting into sour beers, this one smelled wonderful!

T: Tasted great with the same notes as in the nose. Also had an excellent woody quality as this one was aged in bourbon barrels I believe.

M: Excellent sourness that was intriguing as well as it was refreshing. I was forced to sip this one to take in all the exceptional qualities. Felt medium-full to me.

O: A wonderful beer overall. Glad to have made it to Monk's to try this special brew and chat it up with the brewer. Awesome beer experience. (749 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a rich redwood color with a silky tan head and some light lacing.

The nose has sour cherries, dark pitted fruit, farmyard funk, oak, cabernet grapes, bourbon, and vanilla.

Taste is very well balanced. The barrel aging was nicely done. Tart cherries and plums up front followed by fruity yeast, figs, raisins, musty funk, oak, vanilla, whiskey, and red wine.

Big, thick body delicately complimented by a soft carbonation and a dry acidic finish. Another classic artisinal ale from Tomme. (497 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +19.2%

2014 bottle, served SF cellar temp about 59* f
Almost like wine, minimal carb.
Great big cherry smell, damn!!!
Damn lots of matured cherry in taste, no acid or vinegar!! Def wood in taste, not a secret. Beer is big!
Maybe missing a few bubbles but I dont care, this is fantastic!!
Best beer I can think of for lees then $15, I think I paid $13 @ Wholefoods on Friday sale...
Not sure how people get this Quad confused, what other master brewer can cherry out a quad like this?? (478 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +18.8%

06/07/09- Shard at a tasting with friends.

Presentation- 375ml bottle, bottled in eartly 2008. Caged and corked bottle poured into my Orval chalice.

Appearance- Pale ruby red in color. Ligher rose water colored head with slight watery lace trails left behind.

Smell- Fresh boquet of cherries, some tart aromas via the fruit as well as some oak barrel notes.

Taste- Cherries and more cherries. Freshly picked and straight to the beer. Pretty sour, but not quite pucker territory. Light sugary notes as well as a pleasant oak barrel flavor.

Mouthfeel- Thicker than exprected. Not quite viscous but lightly syrupy...pretty much the perfect mouthfeel with lower carbonation.

Drinkability- Right up there with the best wild ales I have had. Incredible drinking beer worth seeking out. (787 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

Bottle acquired in trade with DarkElf (thanks). Silver foil and labeled CUSU28.

I opened this one up and dedicated it to the birth of my second Daughter Eve.

Poured a darker reddish color with almost no head at all. Ohh the aromas of brett, cherries, and oak with a vinous quality to it. Tastes of dark fruits, brett, wine, and cherries. Nice tart cherry finish.

Alcohol content well hidden. Has a very nice complexity to it.

I've had this a bunch more times and various vintages, and all I can say, is this one has never let me down! (541 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

I was ecstatic to find this on tap at the PP Belgian Beer Fest. I've had bottles of this several times since its last release, but it's been far too long since I last had it on tap.

Cuvee de Tomme is dark amber brown with a one inch, off white head. I'm greeted by the most fantastic tart and sour cherry aroma I've ever experienced. Oak, caramel, chocolate, vanilla, plum, and fig are all present in the nose, with some alcohol. The taste has a high level of sourness and a medium level of tartness. The cherries combined with the subtle chocolate are stunning. Oak is noticeable, with some vanilla, plums, figs, and caramel. The alcohol is very well hidden for its high level.

Cuvee de Tomme is medium-full bodied with a medium level of carbonation and a vinous mouthfeel. This is, without a doubt, my favorite sour cherry beer, and one of my favorite beers period. I can't wait for the next release. (904 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

May '08 release, 375ml corked & caged bottle. Pours a very dark brown with a ruby tint. Barely any head, with little lace along with it. Nose is incredibly complex & layered. Dark fruits, caramel, oak, cherries, & funk all hit the nose simultaneously, with none pulling further ahead than any other. I could have my nose in this thing all day! The flavor is equally complex, with fig, plum, and caramel sweetness, sour cherry, and a definate oakiness. Very little carbonation, medium body, and a very noticable, but not overwhelming, alchohol burn in the finish.

With this and the Angel's Share, its very easy to see why Lost Abbey brews are so highly regarded, and so sought after. I feel privileged to be close enough to the brewery to have access to these amazing beers. Aquire at all costs! (795 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Big thanks to Joey for sending this one my way. I have been literally dying to try this one, and threw it in the fridge to cool down the second it arrived. Your typical very nice looking Lost Abbey bottle, corked and caged 375ml. 2008 Vintage. Served in an oversized wine glass, and consumed on 08/03/2008.

The pour was very nice. Rich dark brown, very hazy and cloudy with a rich tan colored head. Excellent retention left behind thick coating side glass lace. Some light carbonation at first, but this quickly diminished. This one looking like a monster though, not really sure what else to say, accept this looked awesome!

The aromas, wow I do not even know where to start with this one. So intricate and complex, it almost was beyond description. The first notes to come across were funky and sour, which were to be expected, however, letting this one warm up brought about all sorts of goodness. This one had to warm though to really let you appreciate all of the subtleties that were going on here. Rich notes of caramel and tart cherries, light notes of oak and woodsy like malts. Extremely complex here. The flavor was much more of the same, just absolutely decadent and delicious. This was honestly one of the best flavors I have ever experienced in a beer, and I really mean that. It was tremendously good. Started out a nice rush of Brett funkiness in all of its glory, rich notes of fruit, cherries layered in on top of that with an almost toffee like flavor as the base. This was very reminiscent of a funky KRE in its complexity. A rich cascade of semi sweet flavor then rolled through and tool over as it always does. I have to admit it needed a little bit more punch in the carbonation though it was still very well done. I have to comment though that this was ridiculously session able for a 12% ale. I was sipping this like a 6% Kriek, until I realized that it was starting to catch up to me. It's really hard though to place a style on this one. It had a lit of the almost chewy character of the Angels share, but with some much tartness, ala a Red Poppy, when it was fresh, but the level this reached was much better though, and they are both fantastic in their own right.

Overall I was blow away with this one. It was just ridiculously good. I have had very few beers that can live up to this kind of expectation, but this one I am proud to say was one of them. I would love to try this again any day, it was just fantastic. Go out and try to find this one if you can, it is well worth it. (2,513 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%

I was given this bottle as a gift from Venom. Thanks a lot man!

I am sampling a chilled bottle in a snifter that I am sharing with my new wife, mom-in-law, and bro-in-law. Perfect opportunity to open a special bottle of beer!
The brew pours a dark and cloudy mahogany color some small, white sediment chunks are suspended in my glass. There is a small beige fluffy head of 1 cm that remains as a surface layer throughout.
Aroma is deep and complex with fruity cherry, boozy whisky notes, some oak, a little raisin and dark fruit, and a general funkiness. Very appealing to me and all who are trying this beer with me.
First sip reveals a very smooth yet thick body with mild carbonation. The brew reveals little of the alcohol up front.
Flavor is rich and fruity with cherries and dark fruit mixing with wooden oak notes, similar to licking a popsicle stick, and again whisky/bourbon notes come through on the end. I also get just a hint of dry cocoa powder at the start of each sip. Overall the beer is mildy sweet and funky. The alcohol barely makes a notice with just a hint of warmth on the finish in the back of my throat. Also the general happiness of the group at the end of the bottle hints that there was some booze consumed!
This was a definate treat of a beer and I am indebted to Venom for the opportunity! (1,327 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%

I have my qualms when it comes to Lost Abbey. Their questionable standards for quality control are infuriating at best and unethical at worst. BUT DAMN IS THIS BEER GOOD.

Cuvee de Tomme was the highlight of my 2009 GABF experience, what a beer! I enjoyed a couple samples on Thursday, but on Friday, when the line was inexplicably short, I easily had 5 or 6 pours. In retrospect, GABF is probably the best setting to consume beer from Lost Abbey. You know you are going to get a carbonated beer, something you can't take for granted with Lost Abbey. Of course, you don't have to pay for it either, which is nice.

Cuvee de Tomme showcases all the qualities that make American Wild Ales so exciting. Perhaps no sour pulls it all together better than this. The depth of the malt flavor, the sweetness of the cherries, the acidic vinegar notes of the yeast, the balancing smoothness provided by the barrels. Balance really is the key here. An alphabet soup of flavors, but all appropriately balanced to keep you yearning for more.

I don't know if I would ever pay the asking price of a bottle or if I will ever have the option to purchase one, but I can say that this is without question one of the most satisfying beers I have tasted. Between the Thursday and Friday GABF sessions and the Pints for Prostates Rare Beer Tasting, I had the opportunity to try hundreds of this countries finest beers. This may have been my favorite. (1,429 characters)

2009 vintage from Red Carpet in Glendale, CA

a- OH NO! have i been hit with another non-carbonated 30 dollar bottle of LA beer!? The first reaction i had almost resulted in a berserker head-butt to the wall, but then i noticed a great deal of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass...the initial pour hadn't stirred more than a millimeter of head, to which it settled to a very tiny white bubbled rim on the outside of the glass, so i was fearing the worst.
The beer has a murky maroon/yellow appearance. the yellow occurring towards the outer rim of the glass, when tilted and held against the light.

S- chocolate, rum, HUGE tart cherries, a blast of dark raisin, cherry cola, and fig!!!

T- very smooth especially for 11%, lots of raisin, some acidic acid, almost tannic bight, with cherries that are a week away from being ripe! very dark feeling on the palate, with an unfiltered quality, coupled by great craftsmanship.

M- velvet. because of the lack of effervescent carbonation, this beer is free to be as smooth as it can be. has a lingering semi dry, tart and fruity finish. very classy.

D- If this bottle was available year round i'd pick it up every month even at 30 bucks. Terribly smooth for what it packs, and im pretty light headed now! good night! (1,271 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%

No pop of the cork. Pours a minimal head that has no retention.
sits in the glass dark brown. No lacing what so ever.
I am impressed with the smell. Warm booziness fills the nose alongside the cherries. Lots of oak and wood characters.
The taste is Sour with cherries up front. Booze, sweet figs, vanilla, real cream soda flavors, and even some cocoa flavors. Exceptional!
Mouthfeel is medium stickiness with a hint of carbonation.
Over all this is a world class brew. The style says some may not care for the sourness. I think the sour cherries are brilliant in the brew. This beer drinks way to easy for this style. Kudos again to the brewery who took over the old Stone building!!! (688 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

As the beer descends into my vessel it appears a deep mahogany bordering on russet in color. Rich caramel and chocolate aromas waft upward while the other elements of plums, raisins, grapes and cherries seem delightfully restrained and well masked by the aromatic brettanomyces contribution, oak and leather aromas. The front palate is initially malt accented providing hints of chocolate and roast, which then leads into the mid-palate, where the brettanomyces begins to take over giving a subtle and funky tartness along with notes of cherries and green grapes. The finish is unusually lingering where the chocolate, fruit and oak flavors create a simplistic bliss. Extremely complex flavor. But the most amazing thing about this beer is its feel on the palate. Knowing that it is basically fermented with 100% brettanomyces, I expected it to be fairly light in body, yet it is by far the most coating and texturized brettanomyces infused beers that has ever touch my lips. A true sensory receptor overload with a numbing effect. (1,031 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

Beachbum1975 saw this as one of my top Wants and cracked it open. Thanks man!
Pours reddish brown in color. No head to be found on the pour. Smell is lots of sour cherry and some woody oak. Incredibly lip puckering and tart. Lots of good sour notes coming through in the flavor. The cherry flavor is perfectly done. Very complimentary to the rest of the beer. Just a hint of alcohol burn in the finish. Fairly thick and coating in the mouth. The cherries, sour and oak work amazingly well together and are incredible. This is a world class beer. One of the few, rare and hyped beers that has lived up to the expectations. Incredible beer. (638 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

I was excited to finally get to try this, as I'm a big fan of Belgian Darks and of sour beers as well. I think this brewery can be among the best in the country when they get it right. The definitely got this one right. I'm drinking the most recent bottling of this for the review. Pours extremely dark brown with a light head and no real lacing. The aroma is incredible! Dark fruits, rich cherries, bitter cocoa, and some nice sourness seellessly blended. The taste is even better, with those same wonderful cherry and bitter cocoa flavoers melded together with a wonderful sourness that is somewhat restrained, but accented by the tartness of the cherries. Even though the beer is quite sour, the chocolate is so lush and pronounced that the flavors are balanced. It is like a cherry eggcream, with brandied cherries, the best quality dark chocolate, and a wonderfully minerally seltzer and some sour cherry juice added to funk it up. In addition, the oak comes through cleanly, but as a nice additional flavor and supporting actor rather than the star. Not overwhelming at all, it adds a firming woody note and some sweet vanilla. Wonderfully enjoyable! Extremely rich and lush in the mouth, but with the sour cherry that cuts right through that and makes the whole thing tremendously delicious. What a tremendous beer! (1,322 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

tasted After the NotB fest. So.. yeah, maybe I wasn't in the best state of mind to review this, but who knows if I will ever actually get a bottle of this. And it was Spectacular.

This beer cut through all the nights drunkenness and hot messes and hit my tongue just right.

Carbonation was on the low side

A nice dark walnut color gave way to a decent head.

Sweet cherries and oak on the nose

Taste was where it all came together. This beer is just so wonderfully put together. Every aspect made sense together. Dark Cherries, caramelized sugar, oak, the wonderful tartness..it was a complex treat. (603 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

A- Pours a very cloudy brown. Very little head and no lacing.

S- Sour notes- cherries, balsamic vinegar. Horsey notes- light sour milk. Gingerbread. Very complex and great smelling.

T- Sour, a great combination of fruit, malt and funk. Warm carmelness. Some vanilla. You can definitely taste the bourbon barrel aging in this beer.

M- Sour lingering, but in a delicious way- I don't really want the taste to leave so keep the lingering coming.

D- Amazing, many thanks to Mawr for this. Absolutely delicious. (510 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Presentation: 750 ml corked and caged. Black label - this is from the batch brewed at Russian River. Nice description of the brewing process and the beer.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown color with a nice thick off-white head. Head leaves a thick lacing on both the top of the beer and the glass.

Smell: Very sour aroma - smells more like a wine than a beer. Earthy, with hints of fruit and vanilla.

Taste: Medium bodied with a low carbonation level. Very smooth mouthfeel. Starts off sour, with a very tart taste blending into more smooth vanilla and fruit. Very well balanced.

Overall impression: Highly drinkable and dangerous - lots of complexities here that are beyond my reviewing skills. Definitely a great example of an American brewers attempt at a Belgian style. (784 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +15.1%

Let me preface this review by saying that Lost Abbey has achieved a masterpiece with this one.

Into a tulip, pours a foamy head, light rusty in color atop an impenetrable body that exhibits a brownish tinge as I hold it up to the light. The head dissipates quickly but reforms nicely upon agitation. Very thick legs down the side.

The bouquet is incredibly intense, with aromas ranging from woody, oak-y, and funky to fruits including cherries, spices, and bourbon. Even detecting some vanilla in the nose. It almost burns the nostrils upon taking a deep whiff, but it's so damn good.

Wonderful flavors. Tartness and oakiness on the front end, with more wine , bourbon, and sour cherries on the finish. There is so much going on here: one moment the cherries are more prevalent and another moment the oaky, woody aspects more so; and yet another moment a sip yields flavors of either shiraz or cabernet sauvignon. Highly complex, it is.

A thick mouthfeel, almost silky, with a touch of an aloe vera-like softness (not the taste, thank God). As it warms, a more acidic consistency comes through, with a little bit of tingle on the tongue. Very nice.

Overall, what more needs to be said? This is an incredible American Wild Ale that rivals my favorite at the moment, Consecration. I would love to side-by-side it with a Red Poppy, but alas, Red Poppy is no more (as of this review). (1,390 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Cracked open five different sours last night with a small group. This was my favorite of the line-up. Received from bricktop in a recent trade. Excellent beer!

Poured a deep ruby-amber with a nice cap of light brown foam into my Bruery tulip. Looks a deep brown at the middle of the glass. A very nice looking beer that had very good head retention...left impressive lacing throughout. Wasn't overly concerned about the pour and found fair amounts of sediment as I neared the bottom of my glass...I approve!

The nose on this guy didn't really get going until it warmed up a bit. At first sniff, the tart, sour cherries are evident. Almost a port wine smell. As it warmed up a bit, the funkiness became more pronounced as did a bit of sweetness.

I barely had my glass to my lips and I could already begin to sense what was about to happen. A tart-bomb of liquid busts me in the back of the mouth - right in the glands. Unlike many, I love beers that push the sour/tart portion this far. The cherry tart dominates the taste with that telltale Brett funkiness. I am still learning about these wild ales, and this one surely impresses. Of the group of us tasting, I raved about this one the most, but all of us certainly enjoyed. A bit of caramel sweetness lingers around, but digging my tongue around the corners of my mouth pulls out the cherry tart once again. This guy will be right back on my "wants."

Overall, I'm going to have to put this one right up there with Russian River's Temptation as one of my top wilds. Great looking and tasting beer. A bit light on the mouthfeel and smell, but I'll concede those to a phenomenal taste. Double digit alcohol levels were definitely not detectable. This is one you could bring home to mom!

Consumed: 3/12/2010 (1,761 characters)

Cuvee De Tomme from The Lost Abbey