Cuvee De Tomme - The Lost Abbey

Cuvee De TommeCuvee De Tomme

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  11.00% ABV

This beers base starts out as "The Mother of all Beers" quadruple. It is then aged in oak barrels with lots of cherries. The cherries and the natural bacteria in the barrels from previous batches give the beer a tart sourness.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cuvee De Tomme Alström Bros
1.8/5  rDev -57.2%

Released in very early 2011, cellered in the hopes of a more carbonated, matured product.

A - dark black look, but when held to a light I could definitely tell that it is very dark reddish. When my glass is down the the final 3rd, I definitely can tell it's got a red hue.

S - tart cherry, vinegar. No maltiness, no Sourish notes.

T - There is that tartness that hits first, then fades to acetic vinegar. No real complexity. Tiny tannic oak, a little sherry maybe. No malt. Nothing that makes me want to keep drinking it. I let it warm in hopes that something more would come out. I get a little more of that tart cherry flavor, more vinegar, that's it. no lactic sourness of note.

M - flat as can be. I expected it, but it's still shocking how flat this really it.

O - wow, very disappointing. I had it when fresh, and thought I might get more complex/carbonated over the year. No. Not impressed, especially for $17 (375ml). I don't want to say it's a bad example of this style, because there is a broad array of beers that can fill this genre... But I would say that it wouldn't be a great introduction to the style for beginners. I will not be buying again. Sorry Tomme.

actone2001, Jan 16, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -54.2%

2011 vintage poured into a red wine glass. Had to pry the cork off as there was no carbonation, shocking. Let it be known that i am not a "Lost Abbey basher". I really like Lost Abbey alot, but this is just not for me i guess.

A- Pours as flat as flat can be, couldn't get a bubble out of this beer if my life depended on it. A dark dark brown color, when held to the light it appears to be slightly red, foggy like diarrhea toilet water.

S- Definitely has the most interesting nose of any sour beer ive had. Wicked bourbon oak smell followed by sharp acidic cherries, vanilla, coca, lactic acid. I truthfully dont know if i like this or not.

T- Holy dear unmerciful God. This is bad. Buttery cherries, cheap bourbon, acid, lemons. I think diacetyl is seeping from my pores. This is offensively sour, and its relatively young. Drinking this at cellar temp, maybe that is the cause of the extreme booziness and sharp acidity.

M- Flat, thin, slick, and flat.

O- I really like PP/LA beers, but this was an absolute abomination. Im pissed off that i paid $15 for this beer. I was thinking that it was going to be more like Red Poppy which was AMAZING. Wish i was drinking Red Poppy instead. Going to fix this with a bottle of Temptation.

kmatlack, Feb 09, 2012

blincoln, Feb 08, 2012
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bad bottle?

Poured upside down from 2012 375ml bottle, zero carbonation.

Murky brown with smells of leather, tannin, vinegar.
First sip was similar to shoe polish, second was not much better, and there was no third. Bottle dumped down the drain.

I'm aware of the carb issues but this beer was undrinkable. I applaud the effort as I'm sure this beer took some time and effort to make but it was just awful. I usually gravitate toward Lost Abbey beers, and will continue too, but this one completely missed the mark for me.

I don't mean for this review to come off like total bash but if I give a beer less than an overall 2.5 rating, I feel the need to at least explain why.

I'd be willing to give this beer a second try if it was given to me, but I can't see myself paying for this again.

Sarge3130, Apr 15, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -51.3%

2009, 37.5cl bottle

Pours out dark reddish brown with barely any carbonation. Wonderful clarity. Smell is signature for Lost Abbey. Pungent acetic acid up front with little in the way of balance between brett and acidity. Figs, over-ripe plums, raisins, and a deep sour cherry aroma is below this. Bourbon isn't strong.

Taste is not as acidic as the nose but it still has a sharp vinegar bite to it. Pretty awful actually. More dark fruit flavors coming through with a muddy cherry/pit flavor. Very slight bourbon again. The acid really takes over your palette, keeping you from getting more of the sweet quad beneath it. Maybe I'm mistaking the oak for that cherry pit taste because of this?

This beer is nearly still. In fact, I think more carbonation left the bottle when opening it than what was actually in solution. Oily on the palette. Pretty unpleasant mouthfeel.

BearsOnAcid, Sep 16, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -50.6%

375mL courtesy of Shane. Thanks! 2012 vintage.

A: Murky brown with no lacing. This is completely flat. Damn.

N: Cherries and bourbon. Vanilla and caramel. The sourness rises just above the cherries. And there are a lot of cherries here. Marionberry and prune. The smell is quite pleasant.

T: Muddy. Lots of sour cherries mixed with an overpowering sweetness of caramel and bitter chocolate. I admittedly cringed a bit. I've had this before, and it s not nearly as weird, I swear. There is so much cherry here, and it might be the saving grace. If this beer had one. Vinegar and acetone. Honey - almost like a mead.

M: Slick and oily and sharp. Not good.

O: I really don't understand what happened here. Last time I got a bottle of this (a 750mL) this was sublime. Tart and sharp and perfect. This is an unmitigated disaster. And I have one more. With any luck, this will taste good in 2014. And if it seems I'm being overly harsh, it's because I know how good this beer can be.

Sarlacc83, Aug 18, 2012
2.14/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

2011 vintage -- was a gift from a friend

Pulled at the cork some -- and that was not an easy task. When I actually got the cork loose, there was not a sound. Poured into a Westvleteren XII chalice. The correlation between a lack of a pop when opening the bottle and the complete lack of carbonation is high here.

Murky purple-brown in color; tawny but not quite. No head to speak of, and barely a bubble present in the glass.

Flat. Flat. Flat! I've saved this for two years to have a flat beer. Very disappointing.

Slight smell of oak. Taste of vinegar and sour fruit. Finish is very acidic. This would make good salad dressing. Seriously, I think I might make salad dressing out of this. When the world gives you lemons...

Zraly, Aug 26, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -47.7%

Brown color brew. No carbonation, head, lacing, or desirable characteristics.

Nice sour brown (with cherry) scent. Tart, sweet, and fruity. Slight wet cardboard.

FLAT, dry, and Zero carbonation. Horrible, tart, musky copper taste. No heat, but weird distracting bitterness. The initial cherry/apple flavor is nice, but once the brew reaches the back of your tongue its horrible.

The only thing nice about this brew is the scent. sadly, this brew ended up as a drain pour... I hope to try it again, when LA figures out how to produce carbonation, but not at the $18 price tag.

chugalug06, Jul 09, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I'm probably the first person who did not like this one. Not sure if it was a 'bad sample' or what. Had it at the Michael Jackson tasting at Penn in Philadelphia. Perhaps the beer was poorly handled or something?

Anyways smell is interesting...a fruity port like wine aroma. Aroma and boquet was very intriguing and enticing. However the taste was of acetic acid to me...too much so. I''ve had Belgian sour ales before but this one was pretty much vinegar. No hops whatsoever. I realize that this brewery is well known and makes quality beers but I simply just did not like this one. Maybe it needs several years of aging for the raw, young flavors to mellow out?

cracker, Mar 13, 2005
2.28/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to Rutager.

A: No head over turbid brown liquid.

S: Buttery, fatty, apples, malt vinegar.

T: Butter, malt vinegar, raisins, and apples.

M: medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: not very tasty or drinkable. Won't be visiting this one again any time soon

DaftCaskBC, Jun 13, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -45.4%

2008 release, courtesy of nflmvp.
Small corke bottle poured into a goblet, it produces a nice dark red, hazy beer with a nice head, colored somewhere between tan and pink. retention is good, not great, same can be said for lacing.
The aroma is the best part, fresh and fruity as you pour. Bourbon, oak, vanilla, layers of fruits and even some vinegar in the background.
Medium, nearly full bodied, softly carbonated with predominantly fruity notes, but it does not end there. The grapes, cherries and plums are accompanied by a sourness that is not as pronounced as advertised, oakiness, bourbon heat, tannins, with a finish somewhat dry and tart. The sweetness aspect of it at times gets a bit too much.
An impressive brew, the best Lost Abbey i had so far, but it falls short of spectacular. It is an amazing improvement over its Judgement Day, which I personally consider average at best, but I am still waiting for Lost Abbey to blow me away. I have been disappointed so far, but in this brew it was likely given the very high expectations.

The 2009 release, which reflects the score since it is the one out there, is a disgrace. Flat, uncarbonated, a very expensive drainpour. It unfortunately reflects their total lack of quality control, since it is the 6th different flat beer I have from them.

brdc, Dec 22, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

Most recent release: 2010 Blend (I believe)

A: after requiring a crab claw to grip this bitch of a cork and pull out, I finally pop this one only to find the beer does not even toot out the tip of this cork. So I pour it, then it lands in the glass, rolls around and simply sits. No bubbles. No head. I can get a nice reddish brown color when light comes through.

S: Cherries, oak, hint of vanilla, tannic and inky nose. Tart. Sometimes smells like laser ink toner.

T: Very woody, very cherry, very oak. Tannic at the finish. Hints of bitter manure flavor on the back end as well. Quite sour I guess I should mention. Some hints of plum as the beer warms a bit.

M: There is a hint of carbonation here. Pretty warm as well from the alcohol. Thick slick on the finish after my body restores from the dryness initially.

O: Well, it's sour. It's low in carbonation. It's hot. It's got potential. Just not my bag. Still pretty pathetic for carbonation, but at least it's not infected (per se).

harrymel, Aug 10, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -36.3%

375 mL cork and caged bottle, sent to me in a trade just over a year ago (thank you mystery trader!), and poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

Cuvee de Tomme pours almost entirely black, lightening to mahogany along the edges. There's no head formation whatsoever, let alone retention or lacing. It looks like another flat bottle from Lost Abbey. The nose falls a bit flat as well, but what is there has plenty of cherries and bourbon, along with some vinegar-like sourness an a hint of earthy brett funk. There's also just a little bit of soy sauce. The front half of each sip has some sour cherries and bourbon, but then the beer fades to a strong, unpleasant soy sauce flavor, along with a bit of oxidation. The body doesn't feel too full, especially considering this is an 11% brew. The complete lack of carbonation kills the beer though, as not only does it make the beer feel dull, but it allows the unpleasant close of the flavor profile to sit and linger on my palate. This bottle of Cuvee de Tomme is a major let down. I've had plenty of draft pours of it before at festivals and absolutely loved this beer, but tonight it's an absolute drain pour for me. Last time I seek out a bottled Lost Abbey product for a while.

axeman9182, Mar 27, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -35.9%

A- Pours a dark, molasses color and viscosity into my snifter. There is not even a hint of carbonation on this beer which is a huge bummer but not something i can say i didn't expect considering the brewery...I like my beers with at least some life and while i expect head to be minimal considering the style and alcohol content, this one just isn't cutting it...

S- Thick sugars and rasins with a hint of oak but alcohol is also very apparent on this one. Not much noticeable sour or tart aromas coming out of this glass but I'll let it warm up anyway

T- Taste also reveals that there is no carbonation. Flavors start out mildly sweet with some lemony tartness/bitterness in the forefront. As i let it rest i my mouth i get some chocolatey, maltyness that i didn't expect to see in this one. Certainly not as boozy as the nose would lead me to believe. Sweetness from the cherries and attenuation leaves a sugar bubble in my throat, something i only want in a RIS.

M- viscous and dead

O- Not my favorite offering, too sweet and under carbonated. If it were more lively i could have easily bumped the score up substantially.

Brewbro000, Jun 09, 2011

greenspointexas, Apr 07, 2014

chippo33, Mar 13, 2013

Hugonaut13, Feb 26, 2014

antoines15, Sep 23, 2014

Jah_Json, Mar 31, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -34%

Poured from a corked & caged bottle into a CCB snifter. Can't find a vintage, so I assume it's 2011. 375 mL bottle.

A- pours dark brown with no head at all. Nearly no pop upon opening the bottle. So, this is going to be flatter than a board...lovely!

S- aroma is actually pretty nice, loaded with cherries with a hint of bourbon as well

T- sour cherries, but there's an odd taste behind it as well...just an overwhelming rotten flavor to go along with the funk. Not very palatable

M- medium bodied, on the thin side

O- never trading for or buying LA ever again. I have a bottle of Serpent's Stout left, and once that's gone, I'm done with them. This is the third issue I've had with their bottles, and I'm done.

bigfnjoe, Apr 13, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -32.3%

Thanks to AndrewNations for this bottle in the Secret Santa exchange. Boy, it's been a long time since I had much from The Lost Abbey. 375 ML bottle, no hint of vintage, taken down while the wife is out at Drinking, I mean, Book Club.

Cork exits the bottle with nary a whimper. Silence. Poured into a nice tall glass, it exhibits as much carbonation as the muddy brown river water it mimics. I'm sure I've fished in this beer. Aroma is better, sweet & sour cherries, passing oak, alcohol. Smells & looks more like a wine than a beer.

Cuvee de Tomme gives me the o-face. Ooooh, man. From the lack of carbonation, the heavy brutishness of the mouthfeel was to be expected, & it flaunts every tick of it's 11% ABV. Three sips in & already wishing I'd split this with someone. Severe is the word that comes to mind. Sour cherries form the wide base, along with hints wine & oak. Backdrop of rum, sour raisins, prunes.

Well, now I've experienced Tomme & I have to say I'm underwhelmed. Under carbonated, stone-heavy in the stomach, & not much depth underneath the blistering sourness of the cherries. Honestly, this feels like a home brew experiment gone haywire; hard to score, it has it's moments, but ultimately, this can't be the intended outcome. I hope.

maximum12, Feb 17, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

2009 edition. Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into my Duvel snifter. It opened with the bare minimum of sound. No pop or anything. Just the sound of the cork rubbing the bottle on the way out. Fuck! I had even stored warm for several weeks to help with the infamous LA carbonation issues but to no avail. Was black in color even against the light. It poured with absolutely no head or foam or bubbles at all. Even the laser etching in the Duvel glass which usually creates massive carb streams did nothing for this one. Completely devoid of carbonation.

The aroma was oaky vanilla, sour cherries, brett and sweet. Not bad but I found the oak to be way too strong. Was hoping for more of the the cherry and brett to shine. The taste was painfully oaky. Extremely tart with again the cherry and brett not balanced enough with the oak. This just got worse as I continued and it built up on the tongue. Mouthfeel is hurt by no carb and overly oaked.

Overall, a mess and again a major disappointment from LA. I've stopped buying them till they get their shit together. The last couple I've got free from a buddy otherwise I wouldn't get them right now. Still have the Brandy Angel Share to try and that one is supposed to be bad on carb as well. Hope they turn it around soon. Don't recommend due to the price and the carb issues. One and done for me.

[1x]

TexIndy, Jul 29, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

On tap at Monk's Cafe served in a 12+ ounce octogon glass. The brew appears murky dark brown with a few bubbles around the edge of the glass. When held to the light, it appears with lighter brown coloration along the edges with some red hues. A swirl revives a few bubbles but fails to produce a head.

The smell of this is dark sugary alcohol coupled with chocolate malt. Some sweet barrel presence is here with a mild touch of oak and vanilla. The overall impression left in the nose is that of raisins soaked in alcohol. Some deep earthy character developes as the brew warms.

The taste of this brew is deep and fruity with alcohol mixed with a presence of raisins and chocolate malt. No surprise here based off of the aroma. The alcohol is prevalent coupled with a very mild barrel presence. Each sip makes me think of molasses, dark caramelized sugar, raisins and a light touch of yeast.

This is a full bodied brew that is undercarbonated. Big booze and sweetness is a constant reminder of raisins soaked in alcohol. I could not finish my glass, I had a hard time finishing but 5-6 ounces of this. I've had this brew before and based on that experience and the reassurance of this brew's description makes me believe that something different was going in here. It is grossly under-attenuated, undercarbonated and displayed zero of the described character of tart cherries and "wild" barrel influence. I have a bottle which I will end up reviewing but I seriously hope it doesn't taste like this.

stakem, Jun 09, 2011