2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cuvee De Tomme - The Lost Abbey

Cuvee De TommeCuvee De Tomme

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  11.00% ABV

This beers base starts out as "The Mother of all Beers" quadruple. It is then aged in oak barrels with lots of cherries. The cherries and the natural bacteria in the barrels from previous batches give the beer a tart sourness.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cuvee De Tomme Alström Bros
Ratings: 858 | Reviews: 383 | Show All Ratings:
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

Review #300

The beer pours a deep dark brown with no head and little carbonation. It looks like ripe cherries and is definitely getting me hyped to taste. The smell is also incredibly ripe cherries with a subtle touch of brine and sourness. An absolutely lovely taste follow through with a dry, sour aftertaste mixed with cherry sweetness. It's definitely got a slightly medicinal aftertaste, but there's so much going on it's not distracting. It's a super drinkable sour with notes of deep pit fruits and screams cherries. Worth trying for sure.

05-06-2012 01:26:22 | More by ThePorterSorter
TotallyHosed

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to dimce for the bottle.

I've scored this one below average in the appearance category, because there is no head. However, beyond this one criticism, the brew looks good. It's a dark reddish brown that allows no light to pass.

The nose is the best aspect of this beer, because it is rather complex. I pick up sour cherries, vanilla extract soaked raisins, and some wine barrel.

The flavor does not reach the excellence of the nose, but comes real close. The sour cherries dominate the flavor, but do not hide the complexity. Following the cherries is what I'm still calling vanilla extract soaked raisins. This must be the bourbon barrel notes mingling with the raisins or mingling with the wine barrel notes. The aftertaste is a little tart and sour, but it's the vanilla, wood and raisins that linger.

The feel is rather light and free of carbonation.

Overall this is a great beer. The complexity of the nose and palate are what make me respect the brew. Although there is no head or carbonation, I don't think this detracts from the overall experience. I'm going to acquire another bottle next year.

04-17-2012 22:26:22 | More by TotallyHosed
mattsander

Alberta (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

A: The bottle is almost totally flat with only the faintest indication of any bubbles. Deep brown and very murky. This is not an attractive beer to look at.

S: Sweet rummy quadruple vibe with burnt sugar, a bit of booze & raisins. Lactic sourness melds beautifully with vanilla oak-barrel character. Some butterscotch elements. Very complex, very appetizing, I love it.

T: It's interesting how the acidity of CdT changes my perception of typical quadruple flavors. All the elements I love in a quad are present but they brightened up significantly by the cherries, pedio and lacto. Lots of oak, raisins. Finds a very appetizing balance between sweet and sour. Little to no vinegar character which is ideal.

M: It's really a shame that my bottle wasn't carbonated. I think this could have been a truly spectacular beer had the bottle conditioning gone better.

O: Despite the carbonation blunder this is a delicious and highly complex beer. I'd buy it again.

04-15-2012 22:39:32 | More by mattsander
bigfnjoe

2.78/5  rDev -34%

Poured from a corked & caged bottle into a CCB snifter. Can't find a vintage, so I assume it's 2011. 375 mL bottle.

A- pours dark brown with no head at all. Nearly no pop upon opening the bottle. So, this is going to be flatter than a board...lovely!

S- aroma is actually pretty nice, loaded with cherries with a hint of bourbon as well

T- sour cherries, but there's an odd taste behind it as well...just an overwhelming rotten flavor to go along with the funk. Not very palatable

M- medium bodied, on the thin side

O- never trading for or buying LA ever again. I have a bottle of Serpent's Stout left, and once that's gone, I'm done with them. This is the third issue I've had with their bottles, and I'm done.

04-13-2012 00:06:07 | More by bigfnjoe
pmarlowe

District of Columbia

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Says vintage 2011 on the side. Lost Abbey tulip. A barely audible "pop" as the bottle is opened.

A: Pours a very dark, murky amber with no head except a razor thin off white ring around the glass.

S: The nose is black cherry, plum and fig juice, oak and cinnamon and vanilla.

T: Nice sour cherry, plum, blackcurrant and red wine, oak and barrel characteristics (vanilla mostly), and a moderate-high, mouthpuckering, constant level of sourness which I think drowns some of the complexity. The sourness extends into a decently long finish. There's a definite red wine character to the taste.

M: Very light carbonation and full body which leaves this a little flabby. This is undercarbonated for my taste; a little crispness or bite would enhance the mouthfeel considerably. That being said, alcohol is well hidden.

O: A pleasant sour which shows some nice barrel characteristics. As far as characterizing the beer, this reminds me more of a sour old ale (like Angel's Share) than an RR-type 'tion sour.

03-31-2012 05:32:51 | More by pmarlowe
axeman9182

2.68/5  rDev -36.3%

375 mL cork and caged bottle, sent to me in a trade just over a year ago (thank you mystery trader!), and poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

Cuvee de Tomme pours almost entirely black, lightening to mahogany along the edges. There's no head formation whatsoever, let alone retention or lacing. It looks like another flat bottle from Lost Abbey. The nose falls a bit flat as well, but what is there has plenty of cherries and bourbon, along with some vinegar-like sourness an a hint of earthy brett funk. There's also just a little bit of soy sauce. The front half of each sip has some sour cherries and bourbon, but then the beer fades to a strong, unpleasant soy sauce flavor, along with a bit of oxidation. The body doesn't feel too full, especially considering this is an 11% brew. The complete lack of carbonation kills the beer though, as not only does it make the beer feel dull, but it allows the unpleasant close of the flavor profile to sit and linger on my palate. This bottle of Cuvee de Tomme is a major let down. I've had plenty of draft pours of it before at festivals and absolutely loved this beer, but tonight it's an absolute drain pour for me. Last time I seek out a bottled Lost Abbey product for a while.

03-27-2012 03:23:30 | More by axeman9182
hansgruber

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

375 mL 2009 vintage served into a Hopleaf tulip. Drank in the early part of 2010...from notes

Appearance is a very dark body with a very thin head that's gone quickly. No lacing with some slight carbonation around the edges. Dark crimson red around the edges.

Nose is cherries and funk. Also has vinegar, acidic, and sour notes with a touch of a medicinal smell. It's wine-like as it warms up and the vinegar acidity drops off.

Taste is much like the nose. Cherries, sour, very acidic with vinegar notes too. Not getting any funky flavors though. Again it becomes wine-like as it warms. The bourbon barrel aging isn't obvious at all. Forgot it was even aged in them until rereading the label.

The carbonation was a bit lower than I would've probably desired but it seemed that it was just enough.

Overall I felt it was too acidic and vinegary to drink too much. Glad I had a small bottle of this. It was much better as it warmed up from being chilled. Some of the more desirable flavors and aromas came out and made it a pretty good beer.

03-25-2012 19:08:32 | More by hansgruber
jwhancher

4.98/5  rDev +18.3%

Had this one on tap at a Monk's event which Tomme Arthur showed up to speak with the partons.

A: Pours a murky brown with okay head that eventually dissipates.

S: Smells of raisin, cherries, Brett, and a sour vinegar like aroma. As I'm still getting into sour beers, this one smelled wonderful!

T: Tasted great with the same notes as in the nose. Also had an excellent woody quality as this one was aged in bourbon barrels I believe.

M: Excellent sourness that was intriguing as well as it was refreshing. I was forced to sip this one to take in all the exceptional qualities. Felt medium-full to me.

O: A wonderful beer overall. Glad to have made it to Monk's to try this special brew and chat it up with the brewer. Awesome beer experience.

03-20-2012 02:16:05 | More by jwhancher
tjkinate

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage

A: Dark, murky brown body. Very little head, more like a soapy white film develops, but does stick around throughout the tasting. Surprisingly a good amount of silky lacing remains and really boosts the beers appearance.

S: Cherries, sour notes, not overpowering and have a nice sugary undertone. Light hints of bourbon that builds as the beer warms. Caramel and raison notes poke through on the tail end and become quite potent later in the tasting.

T: Pow, that will wake up your taste-buds. Cherry flavors are infused with sour notes. Bourbon and caramel hints are a nice contrast and really round out this beer nicely.

M: Very low carbonation, still highly drinkable.

O: I really enjoyed this offering from The Lost Abbey. Still think it was pretty expensive for a 375ml bottle.

03-05-2012 20:11:20 | More by tjkinate
kojevergas

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

12.7 fl oz brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into an EKU 28 snifter in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California. Expectations are through the roof. I dig sours and I'm hoping this one blows me away. Bottle reads "Vintage 2011" in green print on the bottle's neck. No best befroe date is present, though I imagine this one ages real well.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Per the label's instructions, I "let it breathe" for a period. Side-poured in standard fashion; I didn't anticipate carbonation issues (even if it is Lost Abbey).

A: Pours no head at all - perhaps there are carbonation problems after all. Colour is an extremely dark murky cherry brown (if that makes any sense). Not distinct or clear. Nontransparent. No visible yeast particles.

Sm: Heavy wild yeasts, perhaps bretts, cherry, heavy wood/oak, and some hints of dry wine. Oak is definitely dominant alongside the wild yeasts. Raisins when I look for them. A bit of bourbon buried on the backend; I had to look for this as well. Intricate, alive, and inviting. A pretty strong aroma. Pleasant and somewhat bacterial - though not as much as most lambics.

T: Intricately wild, with different yeasts and bacterias competing for the sour funk impact. Raisins. Tart cherries are certainly present alongside a refined oak tone. Most of the sourness emerges in the finish, which is a nice touch. Caramelized malt (very subtle) and woody notes greet you in the first act. Some bourbon, but extremely light and backgrounded - this is the best approach methinks. There's certainly a delicate wine tone in there, and maybe even a light hint of vinegar just on the climax - which is actually nice. It's certainly complex and subtle.

The balance is somewhat scrambled; the beer doesn't feel holistically enjoyable. Rather, it's very much the sum of its parts - which is admittedly pretty damn good. Still, it lacks a complete feel. Maybe it would refine with aging. Sour yeasts and oak wood are dominant, with heavy support from tart cherries. The cherries and sour yeasts are my favourite aspect of the beer. The scattered balanced does bother me somewhat. No alcohol comes through, an achievement considering the ABV.

The wild yeast/bacteria/sourness itself is exquisite, and complemented nicely by the wood on one side, the cherry tart on another, and the bourbon tone throughout. Quite remarkable. I can see why this is sought after.

The climax through the finish is where the sourness really comes through, and as a consequence this is my favourite part of the beer. If the whole body was as strong as the third act, this would be magnificent.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours nicely. Undercarbonated, but somehow adequate. Neither too thick nor too thin. Lacks the delicacy and fragility expected of a fine sour, but this is still quite enjoyable. No cream is present (nor should it be). Complements the flavours unobtrusively but by no means ideally. This beer could do well to learn from Supplication.

Dr/Ov: Very drinkable for the ABV and style; I like sours but perhaps even people that don't could enjoy this in small quantities. Would definitely get better with age. I'd love to try this again with a few years on her. This is certainly a sipper. The vinegar touch may bother some, but I find it suitable to the balance. Perhaps only diehard sour fanatics should pursue this beer; it's pricey for what it is. That said, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I have to admit, this one grows on you over time. The more I adjust to it, the better I find it. Truly a beer that's alive. I'm quite impressed, but the balance issues do hold it back. I don't know that the raisin is working for it as much as it should.

As it warms, the cherry tart comes through more and more, mellowing the cherry. Perhaps I poured this a bit too cold initially. Be sure to really give it time to warm up.

It drank wonderfully out of my snifter, but as there's no head anyway, you're likely best off going with as wide a goblet as you can.

While I haven't had them side by side, I think I prefer Russian River's Supplication. Given the much higher availability of Supplication over this beer, it might be hard to justify tracking Cuvee De Tomme down (or trading for it).

I struggled between a B+ and an A- on this one. I settled on an A- finally, mainly because it got better as it warmed up and the yeast from the bottom of the bottle helped it instead of hindering it.

A-

03-03-2012 05:57:01 | More by kojevergas
maximum12

2.85/5  rDev -32.3%

Thanks to AndrewNations for this bottle in the Secret Santa exchange. Boy, it's been a long time since I had much from The Lost Abbey. 375 ML bottle, no hint of vintage, taken down while the wife is out at Drinking, I mean, Book Club.

Cork exits the bottle with nary a whimper. Silence. Poured into a nice tall glass, it exhibits as much carbonation as the muddy brown river water it mimics. I'm sure I've fished in this beer. Aroma is better, sweet & sour cherries, passing oak, alcohol. Smells & looks more like a wine than a beer.

Cuvee de Tomme gives me the o-face. Ooooh, man. From the lack of carbonation, the heavy brutishness of the mouthfeel was to be expected, & it flaunts every tick of it's 11% ABV. Three sips in & already wishing I'd split this with someone. Severe is the word that comes to mind. Sour cherries form the wide base, along with hints wine & oak. Backdrop of rum, sour raisins, prunes.

Well, now I've experienced Tomme & I have to say I'm underwhelmed. Under carbonated, stone-heavy in the stomach, & not much depth underneath the blistering sourness of the cherries. Honestly, this feels like a home brew experiment gone haywire; hard to score, it has it's moments, but ultimately, this can't be the intended outcome. I hope.

02-17-2012 03:27:17 | More by maximum12
snpub540

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

Live Review 2/16/12

Vintage 2011 bottle.

Poured a very dark brown hue with the smallest foamy white head that I only got after a very vigorous pour. No carbonation that I can see.

Aroma is a nice punch in the face. Booze soaked raisins, tart cherries, vanilla and some barrel funk make for a very enticing aroma.

Taste is tart cherries upfront. Faint flavor of dark fruit and then a warming alcohol sensation as it slips its way down. A little more earthyness and dark fruit as it warms.

Mouthfeel is slick and slightly oily. I really wish it had some more carbonation because that would have made for a more refreshing tartness. This is a smooth and easy drinking beer for 11 percent. I can feel the alcohol in this one doing its magic in my head but its not very strong unless you are willing to take a huge gulp.

Overall this is a good beer. I do believe it needs some more time to develop some more complexity, but I don't know if I'd spend another $16 to buy another one to age. It is definitely a beer to be sipped and appreciated for all of the hard work and vision that went into it.

02-16-2012 20:23:37 | More by snpub540
jethrodium

On tap at City Beer Store. Pours a dark brown with a small tan head that settles to a ring and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is vanilla, bourbon, hints of brown sugar, some light funkiness, a little leather, cherry, and hints of raisin. The initial taste is quite tart with some lactic acid and a bit sweet with some brown sugar. There is also bourbon and vanilla, and some cherries. The finish is tart with some acetic acid and some lingering bourbon. Full body. Medium-low carbonation. The alcohol isn't detectable, but you can tell it is a fairly big beer. Quite enjoyable, but a little bit more sweetness than I like in my sours.

02-15-2012 22:55:33 | More by jethrodium
kmatlack

1.93/5  rDev -54.2%

2011 vintage poured into a red wine glass. Had to pry the cork off as there was no carbonation, shocking. Let it be known that i am not a "Lost Abbey basher". I really like Lost Abbey alot, but this is just not for me i guess.

A- Pours as flat as flat can be, couldn't get a bubble out of this beer if my life depended on it. A dark dark brown color, when held to the light it appears to be slightly red, foggy like diarrhea toilet water.

S- Definitely has the most interesting nose of any sour beer ive had. Wicked bourbon oak smell followed by sharp acidic cherries, vanilla, coca, lactic acid. I truthfully dont know if i like this or not.

T- Holy dear unmerciful God. This is bad. Buttery cherries, cheap bourbon, acid, lemons. I think diacetyl is seeping from my pores. This is offensively sour, and its relatively young. Drinking this at cellar temp, maybe that is the cause of the extreme booziness and sharp acidity.

M- Flat, thin, slick, and flat.

O- I really like PP/LA beers, but this was an absolute abomination. Im pissed off that i paid $15 for this beer. I was thinking that it was going to be more like Red Poppy which was AMAZING. Wish i was drinking Red Poppy instead. Going to fix this with a bottle of Temptation.

02-09-2012 04:25:54 | More by kmatlack
hopfacebrew

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Picked up a bottle while in Escondido. I do not see a date stamped on the bottle or label. Purchased January, 2012. Poured to tulip. The beer pours a deep dark amber brown color with minimal head and as such not much retention or lacing. The nose is a pleasant mix of cocoa, raisins, fig, and a lot of cherry. Not overly sweet. Nice. The flavor is full of character: slightly sour cherry, figs, raisins, cocoa. Dark roast. Complex and yet well-crafted. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with little carbonation. Finishes with a lingering cherry raisin flavor and mild bitterness on the tongue. Overall, I enjoyed this beer, interesting offering. I would happily have picked up additional bottles to cellar...perhaps next trip out to CA.

02-06-2012 14:13:34 | More by hopfacebrew
BastardKing24

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

2011 version from the bottle

Pours a dark brown with little to no head

Smells like sour cherries and brown sugar, with some oak in there

taste is the best part, its a delightful balance of sour and maltiness
I dont get raisin anymore after the lactic bacteria has taken it toll, but cherries and dark malt, oak, butterscotch, leathery taste, puckery sourness comes through. complex for a wild ale.

mouthfeel is almost flat but not bad

its an excellent beer, i dont think theres any other similar beer out there going this direction, which makes it nice on its own. Just it could be more carbonated.

02-02-2012 08:01:16 | More by BastardKing24
rudzud

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Enjoyed on tap at the Armsby Abbey on Lost Abbey night poured into a 4oz sampler.

A - Poured a murky brownish red with a thick off white brown head with super clouding and side lacing.

S - Aromas are somewhat of a let down. Super sweet with light funk notes and chocolate. There are nice deep dark fruits too.

T - Interesting taste. Dark fruits and super sweetness. Lots of molasses and dark fruit esters with light barnyard funk. Some sour cherries too. Quite boozy.

M - It is a bit lowly carbonated for my liking. Bit too syrupy too.

O - Overall this beer was alright. A bit too boozy for my liking. Nice Bourbon notes too. Still not my favourite.

02-02-2012 00:57:57 | More by rudzud
Chizoad

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap at Craft and Commerce. I really love the increased number of sour beers on tap here in SD, and was happy to see this one crop up and one of my favorite places.

Murky brown without much of a head. Definitely not opaque. Thinned Ovaltine?

Crazy aromas of vanilla and bourbon and raisins.

Much less sour than anticipated. Quite sweet actually. I would guess the pH of the beer might be low, but there's still a lot of residual sugar in it from the cherries and whatever else they threw into this brew. Rum, vanilla, figs, raisins, no cherries, cinnamon. A swirl of flavors that is really unique. Not something I would want to have all the time since it's a little too sweet for me.

Ok mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation and body. I would really not put a lot of weight on this component though.

Wild offering from Lost Abbey. I love that they keep making really unique beers. Keep it up!

01-31-2012 02:58:49 | More by Chizoad
whatthehull

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Tulip

A - a deep dark murky/swampy brown, no head, no lacing and a somewhat of an oily look floating on top

S - very nice sour, nice wine notes, wine barrels, bready yeast, funky yeast, Cherries, berries, nice sourness, a very nice booze note, earth wood and more very nice fruit

T - lots of dark sweet and dried fruits, cherries, very nice sour note, used wine barrels, a nice bitter note, very nice bready and funky yeast, slightly boozey, nice toasted malts, lots of earth and wood

M - medium plus body, nice balance, great complexity, medium acidity and very long sweet, sour and earthy finish

D/O - this is an awesome beer. So much flavor and nice refreshment value. I am becoming a big fan of sours and this one is on the top of its game. The fruit, earth and sour mix is just wonderful. I think with age this beer would unwind!

Final thoughts - at 11% abv and a $17 price tag, I like it, but don't love it. It's only a 375

01-29-2012 08:36:54 | More by whatthehull
robsee

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

2009 bottle poured into Lost Abbey glass.

I opened this with quite a bit of trepidation. Practically no sound when opening so I thought uh-oh, and poured haphazardly into the glass. Then, excitement, as I saw tiny bottles rise up - yes, it's not flat and appropriately carbonated. It didn't exactly yield a thick head but it is carbed nicely. In fact, it is carbed better than I remember in 2009.

When you swirl the glass, the beer has a reddish hue, and the head is off white with a faint pinkness. Flavor wise this has held up excellently and still has that tart sour cherry quality - I'd say more tart than sour though. This beer is really aging and holding up well even though I've kept it in less than ideal conditions.

01-20-2012 07:02:39 | More by robsee
tallarin

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

This beer has been aging in the bottle for at least a year since I bought it. It took quite a bit of effort to take the cork off, but it made sense once I realized the beer was almost completely flat.
The beer pours a dark burgundy, producing no head and releasing little to no bubbles. It released a peculiar aroma as I was pouring, which I originally though to be vinegar.

The nose is filled with dark fruits such as plum, raisins, etc. There is some acidity in the aromas as well, but nothing too wild. It definitely has a funky character to it that plays well with the dark fruit aromas, I think the bourbon barrel aging also contributes to this.

The beer is surprisingly full bodied for a beer of this kind. It has a sort of boozy quality that is likely accentuated by its “dark” flavors. I can hardly taste the cherries in the beer, but maybe it's a result of aging. There is definitely a touch of acetic acid in this.

I would say this is closer to a Sour Brown (Oud Bruin) than anything. An interesting beer with a lot of subtleties and layers. Good stuff!

01-19-2012 06:20:12 | More by tallarin
DoubleJ

3.83/5  rDev -9%

Here is a 2011 vintage from a 375 ml bottle consumed at Stefano's, on to the beer:

We have a problem, does anyone see any carbonation in this beer? It looks flat, colored in chocolate brown and lightly slopped with legs. In fact, it looks more like a wine than a beer. The theme goes into the aroma, but unlike the look, the smell doesn't seem affected. It smells wonderful! A generous helping of sweet and sour cherries, chocolate, a touch of oak, and a pleasant tartness.

While utterly lacking in carbonation, medium heavy and nearly flat feeling, that major flaw isn't enough to totally knock the wind out of the sails. In fact, it's a fun one to taste, and with a kiss of maple syrup, sweet cherries, cocoa, and a moderate tartness, you'll understand why.

I finally got one, a flat Lost Abbey bottle. I knew there was a chance this would happen, but I went for it anyway. I'm glad to report that even flat, Cuvee de Tomme is still good. Still, one wonders what the experience would be like with proper carbonting, and at $17 for the bottle, really hope that issue can be resolved.

01-19-2012 03:35:36 | More by DoubleJ
GRG1313

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Vintage 2011" on the bottle neck.

I have had multiple vintages of this beer and actually thought I'd reviewed it long ago. I was going to go in and add some notes and the "2011 Vintage" on my review when it appears that I've actually not posted a review of any of the past vintages consumed.

I write this review of the 2011 vintage which is noteworthy since it is, so far, nothing like any of the CdT I've had in the past. Past bottles, in my experience, has been light to medium color and full of a bright and sour/tart character. This vintage seems to be quite the anomoly and I'm wondering if this is a unique batch or a change in receipe. Either way, the 2011 vintage is not typical of years past.

Pours a dark reddish brown with no head. Looks more like red wine than beer, especially since there is no head.

Nose is cooked cherries and undertones of fig. There is almost a hint of cocoa. Pleasant and assertive.

Mouthfeel is unique in that there is no carbonation yet insufficiently sour/tart to resemble a lambick. There is a hint of fizz when the bottle is first opened (or was it my imagination??)

Flavors are just huge and, again, not at all typical of past bottles in my experience. Big dark semi sour cherries, cola, fig and a sour chocolate character. It tastes a bit like a basic generic red wine with sour cherry juice poured in. (Tastes better than that sounds).

Finish is a mild lightly sour cherry/fig.

I cannot grade on past bottles which I've enjoyed so much that I'd had it marked a "5" on my "Hads," now to review it and significantly down-grade it based on just this bottle, the 2011. I'll keep a bottle and see what happens. (I have a stash of 2009 and 2010 that I'm going to open this week and add notes to this review. Whether it will change the score or not, we'll find out).

01-17-2012 03:43:41 | More by GRG1313
actone2001

1.8/5  rDev -57.2%

Released in very early 2011, cellered in the hopes of a more carbonated, matured product.

A - dark black look, but when held to a light I could definitely tell that it is very dark reddish. When my glass is down the the final 3rd, I definitely can tell it's got a red hue.

S - tart cherry, vinegar. No maltiness, no Sourish notes.

T - There is that tartness that hits first, then fades to acetic vinegar. No real complexity. Tiny tannic oak, a little sherry maybe. No malt. Nothing that makes me want to keep drinking it. I let it warm in hopes that something more would come out. I get a little more of that tart cherry flavor, more vinegar, that's it. no lactic sourness of note.

M - flat as can be. I expected it, but it's still shocking how flat this really it.

O - wow, very disappointing. I had it when fresh, and thought I might get more complex/carbonated over the year. No. Not impressed, especially for $17 (375ml). I don't want to say it's a bad example of this style, because there is a broad array of beers that can fill this genre... But I would say that it wouldn't be a great introduction to the style for beginners. I will not be buying again. Sorry Tomme.

01-16-2012 02:37:48 | More by actone2001
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to mlaroche for this one!

From a 12.7oz bottle, no bottle date but it was bought/stored for my on 3/19/2011

Pour is starting out like a typical Lost Abbey beer, flat looking, hardly any bubbles surface and the top looks still, color is a nice dark brown with some dark reddish highlights when held up to the light.

Smell has a nice aroma of tart cherries and a hint of sourness touches the nose, dash of oak to add some complexity.

Taste is as it looks, flat and lifeless in the mouth, the saving grace is the tart/sour cherry flavor distracts from the lack of carbonation, flavor-wise this beer hits all the right notes as the cherries dance around the woody character.

Older Viscosity and the Angel Shares suffered from lack of carbonation as well that made those beers intolerable by being a cloying mess. This beer is able to skate by because it's not cloying and the sourness distracts for the most part, but I can only imagine how good this would be if it were properly carbonated.

01-05-2012 00:50:13 | More by deltatauhobbit