Cuvee De Tomme - The Lost Abbey

Cuvee De TommeCuvee De Tomme

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  11.00% ABV

This beers base starts out as "The Mother of all Beers" quadruple. It is then aged in oak barrels with lots of cherries. The cherries and the natural bacteria in the barrels from previous batches give the beer a tart sourness.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cuvee De Tomme Alström Bros
robsee

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

2009 bottle poured into Lost Abbey glass.

I opened this with quite a bit of trepidation. Practically no sound when opening so I thought uh-oh, and poured haphazardly into the glass. Then, excitement, as I saw tiny bottles rise up - yes, it's not flat and appropriately carbonated. It didn't exactly yield a thick head but it is carbed nicely. In fact, it is carbed better than I remember in 2009.

When you swirl the glass, the beer has a reddish hue, and the head is off white with a faint pinkness. Flavor wise this has held up excellently and still has that tart sour cherry quality - I'd say more tart than sour though. This beer is really aging and holding up well even though I've kept it in less than ideal conditions.

01-20-2012 07:02:39 | More by robsee
ObeMaltKinobee

01-19-2012 12:18:27 | More by ObeMaltKinobee
tallarin

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

This beer has been aging in the bottle for at least a year since I bought it. It took quite a bit of effort to take the cork off, but it made sense once I realized the beer was almost completely flat.
The beer pours a dark burgundy, producing no head and releasing little to no bubbles. It released a peculiar aroma as I was pouring, which I originally though to be vinegar.

The nose is filled with dark fruits such as plum, raisins, etc. There is some acidity in the aromas as well, but nothing too wild. It definitely has a funky character to it that plays well with the dark fruit aromas, I think the bourbon barrel aging also contributes to this.

The beer is surprisingly full bodied for a beer of this kind. It has a sort of boozy quality that is likely accentuated by its “dark” flavors. I can hardly taste the cherries in the beer, but maybe it's a result of aging. There is definitely a touch of acetic acid in this.

I would say this is closer to a Sour Brown (Oud Bruin) than anything. An interesting beer with a lot of subtleties and layers. Good stuff!

01-19-2012 06:20:12 | More by tallarin
DoubleJ

3.83/5  rDev -9%

Here is a 2011 vintage from a 375 ml bottle consumed at Stefano's, on to the beer:

We have a problem, does anyone see any carbonation in this beer? It looks flat, colored in chocolate brown and lightly slopped with legs. In fact, it looks more like a wine than a beer. The theme goes into the aroma, but unlike the look, the smell doesn't seem affected. It smells wonderful! A generous helping of sweet and sour cherries, chocolate, a touch of oak, and a pleasant tartness.

While utterly lacking in carbonation, medium heavy and nearly flat feeling, that major flaw isn't enough to totally knock the wind out of the sails. In fact, it's a fun one to taste, and with a kiss of maple syrup, sweet cherries, cocoa, and a moderate tartness, you'll understand why.

I finally got one, a flat Lost Abbey bottle. I knew there was a chance this would happen, but I went for it anyway. I'm glad to report that even flat, Cuvee de Tomme is still good. Still, one wonders what the experience would be like with proper carbonting, and at $17 for the bottle, really hope that issue can be resolved.

01-19-2012 03:35:36 | More by DoubleJ
GRG1313

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Vintage 2011" on the bottle neck.

I have had multiple vintages of this beer and actually thought I'd reviewed it long ago. I was going to go in and add some notes and the "2011 Vintage" on my review when it appears that I've actually not posted a review of any of the past vintages consumed.

I write this review of the 2011 vintage which is noteworthy since it is, so far, nothing like any of the CdT I've had in the past. Past bottles, in my experience, has been light to medium color and full of a bright and sour/tart character. This vintage seems to be quite the anomoly and I'm wondering if this is a unique batch or a change in receipe. Either way, the 2011 vintage is not typical of years past.

Pours a dark reddish brown with no head. Looks more like red wine than beer, especially since there is no head.

Nose is cooked cherries and undertones of fig. There is almost a hint of cocoa. Pleasant and assertive.

Mouthfeel is unique in that there is no carbonation yet insufficiently sour/tart to resemble a lambick. There is a hint of fizz when the bottle is first opened (or was it my imagination??)

Flavors are just huge and, again, not at all typical of past bottles in my experience. Big dark semi sour cherries, cola, fig and a sour chocolate character. It tastes a bit like a basic generic red wine with sour cherry juice poured in. (Tastes better than that sounds).

Finish is a mild lightly sour cherry/fig.

I cannot grade on past bottles which I've enjoyed so much that I'd had it marked a "5" on my "Hads," now to review it and significantly down-grade it based on just this bottle, the 2011. I'll keep a bottle and see what happens. (I have a stash of 2009 and 2010 that I'm going to open this week and add notes to this review. Whether it will change the score or not, we'll find out).

01-17-2012 03:43:41 | More by GRG1313
actone2001

1.8/5  rDev -57.2%

Released in very early 2011, cellered in the hopes of a more carbonated, matured product.

A - dark black look, but when held to a light I could definitely tell that it is very dark reddish. When my glass is down the the final 3rd, I definitely can tell it's got a red hue.

S - tart cherry, vinegar. No maltiness, no Sourish notes.

T - There is that tartness that hits first, then fades to acetic vinegar. No real complexity. Tiny tannic oak, a little sherry maybe. No malt. Nothing that makes me want to keep drinking it. I let it warm in hopes that something more would come out. I get a little more of that tart cherry flavor, more vinegar, that's it. no lactic sourness of note.

M - flat as can be. I expected it, but it's still shocking how flat this really it.

O - wow, very disappointing. I had it when fresh, and thought I might get more complex/carbonated over the year. No. Not impressed, especially for $17 (375ml). I don't want to say it's a bad example of this style, because there is a broad array of beers that can fill this genre... But I would say that it wouldn't be a great introduction to the style for beginners. I will not be buying again. Sorry Tomme.

01-16-2012 02:37:48 | More by actone2001

01-06-2012 23:23:12 | More by ratedz
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to mlaroche for this one!

From a 12.7oz bottle, no bottle date but it was bought/stored for my on 3/19/2011

Pour is starting out like a typical Lost Abbey beer, flat looking, hardly any bubbles surface and the top looks still, color is a nice dark brown with some dark reddish highlights when held up to the light.

Smell has a nice aroma of tart cherries and a hint of sourness touches the nose, dash of oak to add some complexity.

Taste is as it looks, flat and lifeless in the mouth, the saving grace is the tart/sour cherry flavor distracts from the lack of carbonation, flavor-wise this beer hits all the right notes as the cherries dance around the woody character.

Older Viscosity and the Angel Shares suffered from lack of carbonation as well that made those beers intolerable by being a cloying mess. This beer is able to skate by because it's not cloying and the sourness distracts for the most part, but I can only imagine how good this would be if it were properly carbonated.

01-05-2012 00:50:13 | More by deltatauhobbit
Philousa

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Imbibed at the Lost Abbey tap room 12/31/2011.

Very murky and cloudy in appearance. If I made a paint color to match this, it would be called "mysterious red". Good amount of light tan head, most likely because of the forced carbonation. Sour cherry hits up front and stays, turning a bit sweet like a blackberry. Stout backbone is evident, much like an Irish dry stout. Black cherry dominates the palate. Much like the ice cream flavor, but replace the sugary sweet flavor with a super sour flavor that turns tart. It's like a sour black cherry turns to a bitter dark chocolate in your mouth. Very thick and murky, this beer leaves a dry finish.

This is a wild beer (no pun intended). Although I am very intrigued and in awe over the flavors coaxed out of this beer, it is ultimately not one I would really want to try again. I am very happy to have had only a sample, as a 10oz glass would have been too much. I cannot imagine how someone would finish a 350ml bottle of this. As a homebrewer, I really want to pick the brewmaster's brain to see how he accomplished this. It just makes me want to try Red Poppy all the more.

01-03-2012 02:43:31 | More by Philousa

12-26-2011 01:47:50 | More by whartontallboy
jimmy82063

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Result of my first ever trade...saved this for Christmas...poured into a Lost Abbey Tulip Glass...
a) Translucent brown...no head or carbonation.

s) Cheeries! We have a real sweet tart coming up!

t) I like this...boozy cherry quad....no carbonation which I know bothers a lot of folks but I kind of like it this way...as this warms get a bit of vanilla.

m) Smooth

o)Really liked this and would definitely seek out again.

12-25-2011 21:40:58 | More by jimmy82063