Cuvee De Tomme - The Lost Abbey

Cuvee De TommeCuvee De Tomme

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  11.00% ABV

This beers base starts out as "The Mother of all Beers" quadruple. It is then aged in oak barrels with lots of cherries. The cherries and the natural bacteria in the barrels from previous batches give the beer a tart sourness.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cuvee De Tomme Alström Bros
woosterbill

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

375ml corked & caged bottle, 2009 vintage, courtesy of Phoenix2443, into a Duvel tulip.

A: A very vigorous pour yields a black body (clear brown around the edges) underneath a one-finger head of very coarse tan foam that settles into a rough ring and leaves some spotty lace. Pretty clearly under-carbonated, but not the totally flat disaster I was fearing.

S: Very interesting mixture of bourbon, vanilla, tannic oak, and plenty of sour funk (seems more like bacteria than yeast). Rather sharp and medicinal, but invigorating and enticing as well.

T: Starts out with slightly sweet bourbon, then quickly transitions into a wave of amazing sour, funky, deliciousness. The cherries show up, along with some decidedly vinous tannins and pure puckering sourness. The finish is a perfect balance of tartness and smooth sweetness. Hugely complex and, despite being a bit harsh at first, quite delicious.

M: Medium body with some stickiness and practically no carbonation (surprise surprise). Some effervescence would do this a world of good.

D: Not only is this beer delicious, it has a perfect level of sourness, and it hides its huge ABV far better than any 11% beer I've ever tasted. The only downside here is that the lack of carbonation keeps things from being totally smooth. Ah, well. I could still drink another one of these, gladly.

Notes: Other than the carbonation issue, this one lived up to everything I hoped an 11% wild ale aged in bourbon and wine barrels could be. I love the way the sour fruit and sweet oak meld, and the extent to which the alcohol remains hidden is truly remarkable. This is a great beer, and I'd love to try it properly carbonated. Big thanks to good trader Phoenix2443 for sending it my way.

Cheers!

05-03-2010 01:08:59 | More by woosterbill
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured a deep amber brown clear around the edges with a tiny white lining around the edges of a small tulip. Smell of tart cherries, vanilla, raisin, some brett and some vinegar.

Taste of cherries, raisin, oak, bourbon, brown sugar and vinegar. The tartness is a little more muted than the Captain Lawrence Barrel select I had yesterday, and not quite as complex tasting. I sense more vinegar , slightly less sourness, less carbonation but seems to have the edges a little more sweet and boozy.

This is a very good Wild ale, I recommend it, it leans a little more to the vinegary side, not quite like Monks Blood, because it has a slightly sweet side and is a bit hot on the edges. Some time could help the 11% tone down a little bit, but very good just as it is now.

Light body for an 11% , light carbonation , making it a little more drinkable than if the carbonation were higher. Cork had a muted pop

04-30-2010 00:27:52 | More by alpinebryant
olympuszymurgus

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Ahhh. Served with course #8 of the 17th Annual Labor of Love Belgian Beer Dinner. Of course, this was the famed cake-taker beef and chanterelle pot pie.
How to choose which beer at this point? Knowing as I did the monumental decision before me... Juliet? AleSmith Grand Cru? Black Albert? Oude Kriek? I chose the phenomenal Grand Cru over these and the Cuvee...but I had a plan. The last of this fine bottle was squirreled away for me (hidden in the eaves). After this orgasmic meal, I poured the last few ounces into my chalice.
What could I find there? A burgundy pleasure palace with cherries popping out of the glass. Punching me in the teeth! Oh, what a divine finish to a hedonistic course! It starts steady, full and angry before delivering a sour blow with a lingering cherry dangling in my windpipe.
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

04-27-2010 08:22:55 | More by olympuszymurgus
emmasdad

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a beautiful dark mahogany color, capped off with a nice collar of off white head. Huge aromas on this one, bourbon, vanilla and tons of cherry. Taking a sip, I get some nice sour funk, followed quickly by bourbon, tart cherries, yeast and alcohol. Nicely carbonated, refreshing and delicious. Outstanding.

04-19-2010 02:27:06 | More by emmasdad
MisterClean

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

375 bottle purchased at HQ in San Marcos.

A - Pours a hazy brown with 1/2 finger of off-white head. Dissipates fast and leaves no lacing. Carbonation is light.

S/T - Sour cherries, caramel, and bittering hops. Very sweet and tart. This is really good.

M - Full-bodied, well-balanced, viscous, sweet, and tart.

D - As far as a Wild Cherry, this is awesome. No alcohol, I could have sessioned this by myself, but enjoyed sharing with others.

04-04-2010 22:14:28 | More by MisterClean
Chambic

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

A: dark with bubbles, a bit like cola

S: somehow, the sour scent is surprising, even though you KNOW (and expect) it's a sour. I think it's because a beer that looks like that doesn't normally smell like that.

T: it's a sweet type of funk, complete with cherries and bretts

M: the sharpness stays on the sides of the tongue, so that the whole mouth experiences different flavors

The first time I had it was at Stone on a Sunday, when sours are 25% off. What a "deal"! I loved it instantly, because it's a combination of so many things I love about beer. Quad-style, sour, mmm

03-22-2010 23:14:12 | More by Chambic
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to sleepydave for bringing over 750ml of this awesome sour!

Poured into a snifter, Cuvee De Tomme reveals a murky plum colored body carrying no head. A very intriguing looking beer. Almost looks like its hiding something in it's murky depths.

Vinegar, cherries and vinous alcohol notes rush up from the glass. Lots of dark fruit, bits of bourbon and oak barrel. Somewhat sweet smelling, yet balanced by some of the harsher barrel notes. This is a fun one to tease apart.

Wow, a punch in the mouth sour. The taste is excellent. Tart, dried, cherries, figs, vanilla notes and nice oak woodiness. Vinous tannins come out to play, as well as warming alcohol and a touch of bourbon. There is a lot going on here. Somewhat difficult to pick a part, but truly enjoyable. The barrel aging is very well done without being over the top. Both the French oak and the bourbon barrel notes come through nicely. Lots of fruit sweetness, but not cloying. And again, huge sour/tart presence.

Mouthfeel is quite mouth puckering. Very tart. Probably the most sour beer I have had. The body is smooth with mellow carbonation. Warming alcohol and some tannin bitterness. A big body for a sour.

Drinkability is good. This is an intense beer that is meant to be sipped and savored. Cuvee De Tomme pushes the limits, which maybe cuts down on the drinkability a little bit, but makes for a great experience.

Overall, this may be the best beer I have had from Lost Abbey. I have yet to try some of their rarer releases, but this brew is top notch. Lots of flavor, complex, and unquestionably sour. My only gripe is the price tag, which is the case with almost all Lost Abbey brews. With that being said though, I will be in search of some of their finer offerings in the future. Thanks again for the taste Dave!

03-14-2010 19:50:03 | More by sisuspeed
hayesez

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Cracked open five different sours last night with a small group. This was my favorite of the line-up. Received from bricktop in a recent trade. Excellent beer!

Poured a deep ruby-amber with a nice cap of light brown foam into my Bruery tulip. Looks a deep brown at the middle of the glass. A very nice looking beer that had very good head retention...left impressive lacing throughout. Wasn't overly concerned about the pour and found fair amounts of sediment as I neared the bottom of my glass...I approve!

The nose on this guy didn't really get going until it warmed up a bit. At first sniff, the tart, sour cherries are evident. Almost a port wine smell. As it warmed up a bit, the funkiness became more pronounced as did a bit of sweetness.

I barely had my glass to my lips and I could already begin to sense what was about to happen. A tart-bomb of liquid busts me in the back of the mouth - right in the glands. Unlike many, I love beers that push the sour/tart portion this far. The cherry tart dominates the taste with that telltale Brett funkiness. I am still learning about these wild ales, and this one surely impresses. Of the group of us tasting, I raved about this one the most, but all of us certainly enjoyed. A bit of caramel sweetness lingers around, but digging my tongue around the corners of my mouth pulls out the cherry tart once again. This guy will be right back on my "wants."

Overall, I'm going to have to put this one right up there with Russian River's Temptation as one of my top wilds. Great looking and tasting beer. A bit light on the mouthfeel and smell, but I'll concede those to a phenomenal taste. Double digit alcohol levels were definitely not detectable. This is one you could bring home to mom!

Consumed: 3/12/2010

03-13-2010 18:25:10 | More by hayesez
ckeegan04

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Dark mahogany with the faintest ruby highlights when held up to light, Light carbonation leaves a thin foam cap on top. Foam quickly fades to a thin ring around the top of the glass.

S - Sour, alcohol soaked cherries. Hints fo wood and just a touch of vanilla. Sourness becomes stronger as the beer warms. Very inviting aroma. Hints of other dark fruits but cherries are the most dominant.

T - Strong tart cherry taste up front. Oak quickly comes in and provides hints fo vanilla and a strong woody backing. Dark fruits come through and provide just a bit of sweetness t balance the sourness. Sour cherries carry throughout the beer but are never overwhelming. Very well balanced beer. Hints of our bruin without the vinegar tastes.

M/D - Medium bodied and a prickly carbonation. Sourness lingers after the beer is gone. Very easy drinking with a well masked 11%

03-09-2010 23:50:09 | More by ckeegan04
ThreeWiseMen

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

750mL bottle split amongst friends at a recent gathering.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Looked dark brown initially, but showed flashes of crimson when held to light. Great clarity, in fact! A clean, foamy, tan crown sits on top and doesn't drag any lacing.

Smell: Sour cherries / cherry pie filling, lemon, and moist, leafy vegetation. Vanilla and bourbon are both in there too, but they're subtle. Smells very nice.

Taste: Cherry lemonade and bret upfront; bourbon in the finish. Lots of tartness. Bourbon and oak come out more as it warms, becoming pretty damn strong near the end. Alcohol is hidden very well, especially given the style. Very cool combo.

Mouthfeel: Oily, softly carbonated, dry, warm, and somewhat thin. The effects of the bourbon barrel (warming and thinning) are quite evident.

Drinkability: Really good and pretty smooth, but this is still a hefty beer. I was happy with my ~6oz. sample.

03-07-2010 21:06:00 | More by ThreeWiseMen
NYCWheatFanSC

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Reviewed from notes taken at Greg's tasting.

A - Pours a dark mocha brown, with a dark eggshell head that recedes rather quickly.

S - Tart cherries exhibiting both sourness and funk, with more of the former than the latter. Has pretty heavy sweet, malty undertones with only a hint of vinegar.

T - Wow, very winey - me likes! Lots of cherry tartness here. Again, the wine character (port?) is phenomenally and delicately well-balanced with the beer profile. Definitely a hit of the night!

M - Perhaps a bit thin and light, but properly carbonated.

D - Would definitely seek out again, pretty sessionable but a brew to be shared among good friends.

03-05-2010 05:00:25 | More by NYCWheatFanSC
mjn5036

New Hampshire

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

The bottle opened with the faintest "pop" and was poured from 750ml bottle into a red wine glass. Its appearance is dark brown. Mahogany. Fine leather bound books. No carbonation, a few random bubbles from the disturbance of the pour remain on the surface. No lacing. Quite boring in appearance. The smell is great however. Smells of sour cherries, caramelized sugars, and funk. The bourbon barrel comes through. The taste threw me for a loop. It was quite sour, more sour than the smell led on and oh so sweet on my tongue. Black cherries are very noticeable as well, staying with you from start to finish. The bourbon barrel aging gives this beer some nice complexities, especially in the taste. To me it gives it a vanilla flavor in the mix. Very good. It is very drinkable and the alcohol is very well hidden for eleven percent. My only complaint would be the lack of any carbonation which I hear is a problem with the Lost Abbey beers. Glad to get to try it.

02-19-2010 08:40:51 | More by mjn5036
MikeSr619

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

So I'm new to sour beers but yesterday some friends of mine had a bottle of Cuvee and asked me if I wanted to try it. Suuure I said and got about 1/4 of a glass. It smelled absolutely delicious and looked just as good. Drinking it was a big shocker to me. It hit my lips and instantly puckered them and I got the little tingling sensation at my jaw joint by the ears. This was a good beer I could tell.

i dont think I could drink a full 22 of it by myself but then again, I like to share my beers with friends so it works out best.

Good job!!!

02-11-2010 20:40:33 | More by MikeSr619
caresville

4.38/5  rDev +4%

thanks to jklinck for a slew of these bad boys in a trade a few months back!!

a- dark brown, almost ruby. looks kinda like a port. very little head even in a flute and basically no lacing what so ever.

s- oh so very funky!! i can feel it burning my nose hairs, with its tart sourness. cherries, sugar, vinegar and burnt wood are most prevelant, hard to recognize any other smells.

t&m- at first i can barely taste any sourness until the liquid hits the back of your tongue. cherry warhead or those blue sweet tarts basically. lip puckering, mouth squenching total funk. cherry and lemon mixed with vinegar, not too mention that burning wood taste/smell comes back. very complex and not smooth, its almost a chore to drink because the tart taste almost burns but its well worth it.

d- the 11% sneaks up on you and completely whacks you about half way through. i cant imagine drinking more then a 750ml of this without accompanying it with a bottle of tums. great to split a bottle with someone wanting to try an ass clenching sour though!!

02-08-2010 08:45:26 | More by caresville
prototypic

3.83/5  rDev -9%

2008 Vintage

Cuvee De Tomme pours a dark, rust brown color. It's very hazy, but backlighting gives it a distinct red tint. Despite a forceful pour, light carbonation results in very little head. It's a surface covering at best. There are definitely bubbles, but not a great deal of them. Lacing didn't happen. Color's good. The rest? Not so much.

The nose is good. Oak is front and center. I like that. Sour cherries and perhaps light berry notes are present. Plum and raisin reveal the dark side of the fruits. It is quite deep and complex. There are some spices present, but they're tough to identify. Perhaps it's too deep. It has an earthy quality, but it isn't funky. That's a surprise. There's very little here in terms of bourbon, too. Oak seems to rule the day. I'm not complaining too much. It smells good. It didn't unfold quite like I expected though.

The flavor is pretty impressive. Once again, oak comes through strong. It's followed by a tart, sour cherry flavor. It's tart, but I wouldn't say mouth-puckering. The list of fruit flavors present is lengthy. Cherry, berry, plum, raisin, and the list goes on. The flavor profile is deep, complex, and quite satisfying. It's a little spicy and yeasty, but those are secondary elements. I'm really surprised at the small impact that Brett has. It's not funky. I'm getting a little bourbon, but not much of that either. Those flavors must be buried among the others. I never thought I'd say this, but there's probably a little too much going on here. If some of the features are imperceptible, what's the point? Alcohol is blended well and isn't strong or warming. It finishes sour, oaky, and fruity.

Cuvee De Tomme has a medium body that is relatively smooth. Carbonation is very light. Bubbles are certainly present, but I'd like a few more. Drinkability is above average. To be fair, the flavor is quite good, but it doesn't blow me away. It's also rather strong at 11%. I'll polish off the 375, but I don't need more.

Cuvee De Tomme is good beer. Damn near very good. At least that's true of this 2008 release. I like the flavor quite a bit, but it seems to be held back by its all-inclusiveness. There's a little too much going on. It's tough to appreciate all of the flavors due to the volume of flavors present. Perhaps it's just me. It's good beer, but I wouldn't say it's special. I don't have any hesitation recommending it, but stick with a single bottle.

02-05-2010 02:43:25 | More by prototypic
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

2009 Vintage.

Cork pops off with hardly any pressure.

Poured into Bruery snifter.

Pours hardly and head. No lace for obvious reasons. Color is a dark dark brown. Sediment in the glass.

Aroma: Tart, sour cherries. Such wild notes in this beer. Makes my mouth water. Very malty as well. Some light vinegar notes and leather bits. Light oak. Awesome!

Taste: Sour, tart cherries up front. Some raisins, bold malts. Nice oak flavors. It is very hard to pick out the quad notes here, because of all the sour cherries, but I am ok with it. I am a big fan of all the tart notes.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation, it is ok for the style though. Ends very tart, slightly dry. Overall, decent.

Overall, this is a solid sour beer. I am surprised by how sour it is. I don't know if this is a quad base or not, but the cherries take over the base beer. I am a big fan of this beer. I want more.

02-04-2010 07:08:45 | More by mothman
thedindaniel

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

2009 vintage, shared with my lovely girlfriend. Poured from a 750 I purchased at the brewery into two tulip glasses. The beer poured a dark mahogany color with very little head and almost no lacing on the glass.

Smelled of tart cherry funk and the dark fruits that must be present in Judgment Day (from which this beer is made). I enjoy the complexity of the taste as it starts very tart and sweet but leaves behind a dark raisiny-pruny flavor. It is almost cliche to say it about Lost Abbey these days, but I really wished there was more carbonation. The mouthfeel felt thick, heavy, clumsy, which obviously effects the beer's drinkability.

I had been wanting to drink this for a long time and while good, its not exactly what I'm looking for in a Wild Ale, especially when a bottle cost $30. All that said, I will probably give it another try next year.

02-04-2010 03:34:23 | More by thedindaniel
drabmuh

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

2005 Vintage -- black label. This particular vintage was brewed not at Lost Abbey but at Russian River. Interesting trivia. This beer was at a recent tasting.

Beer is brown and hazy. Forms a thin off white head that's broken and diffuse. Carbonation is low but lacing is high.

Aroma is a surprising mix of alcohol and funk. There are some serious sour notes in this beer but the primary aroma is boozy. This is shocking for a 5 year old beer, although it is 11% alcohol.

Taste is complex, its strong and sweet, the sweetness of the beer is almost immediately cut by the sour. There is a hint of cherry flavor in here and then at the end some oak. Drinkability is good and mouthfeel is really good. Its a good beer, I wish I could try a more recent vintage to compare.

02-02-2010 17:03:55 | More by drabmuh
zdk9

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

A- Pours a very cloudy brown. Very little head and no lacing.

S- Sour notes- cherries, balsamic vinegar. Horsey notes- light sour milk. Gingerbread. Very complex and great smelling.

T- Sour, a great combination of fruit, malt and funk. Warm carmelness. Some vanilla. You can definitely taste the bourbon barrel aging in this beer.

M- Sour lingering, but in a delicious way- I don't really want the taste to leave so keep the lingering coming.

D- Amazing, many thanks to Mawr for this. Absolutely delicious.

02-02-2010 01:55:18 | More by zdk9
SpeedwayJim

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Had at hoppymcgee's tasting 1/16. '08 vintage?. 4oz. pour into a sample pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a .5 finger head. Beer is a cloudy, murky brown which is a little off-putting... looks like swamp-water. Lacing is spotty but apparent.

S: Sour cherry, slightly sweet, barnyard, woody funk, and a bit of cane sugar sweetness. Also some dark fruit lurks in the background.

T: Opens sour cherry, woody, and skunky. Booziness is apparent here. Dark fruit in the middle with a cameo appearance by hop bitterness. Sour towards the end with a rather messy finish. Infinitely complex and I can't really understand what Tomme is trying to do with it, all I know is it's quite good...

M: Light to medium bodied which is surprising given the imperial stout background. Smooth, flat, and phelgmy. Mouth-watering and very messy leaving a lot on the palate.

D: A good beer and very complex with a... strange mouthfeel. I really appreciate it but like I said before, this one is hard to understand... like a cross between a sour and an imperial stout. I'd like to try it again though, maybe with a bigger pour to try to unmask the mystery here.

01-17-2010 15:33:52 | More by SpeedwayJim
ricke

Sweden

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

2009 vintage.

Murky brown with a small tanned head that leaves some lacings.

The smell is complex and balanced with notes of brett, sour cherries, grass, mud and malts. A hint of vanilla in the nose as well.

The flavor is tart with pleasant cherry notes, funky brett, grass and some liqueur-like fruity notes. Lightly sweet malts and notes of wood in the foundation. The finish is dry and lightly bitter with notes of wood, cherries and just a hint of alcohol.

Medium body and well balanced carbonation.

A really good beer. Complex, interesting and tasty - what more can you ask for?

01-16-2010 20:51:16 | More by ricke
jaxon53

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

2008 Vintage.

Thanks to adamb84 for hooking me up with this bottle. Another Lost Abbey beer I've been waiting to try. Served this at cellar temperature, in a snifter, from a 375ml bottle.

Appearance: Cuvee de Tomme pours out a deep ruby amber color that is quite dark. This beer shows great clarity when held up to a light. A somewhat hard pour yields little more than a skim coat of soapy, tan head atop the beer. Just a few small spots of lace were left on the glass.

Smell: Wonderful nose here. Plenty of cherry and raisin come out first. Smells a bit tart. Getting a bit of bourbon and wood, but it is very subdued. A bit of funk in there as well.

Taste: Layers on top of layers of flavor. Tart cherries zap the tongue first, followed by some boozy raisins. Touches of chocolate and a bit of vanilla are almost hidden in the background. Slight hints of wood and bourbon linger a bit in the aftertaste. A bit funky, getting some of that horse blanket flavor. A bit buttery. Finished dry, tart, and smooth with a little well hidden alcohol. Flavors blend nicely.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is full bodied. Carbonation is lower, but fits this beer nicely. Quite smooth.

Drinkability: Drinks nicely, like a fine wine. Eleven percent ABV could catch up to you, but one glass is more than enough.

01-16-2010 17:28:28 | More by jaxon53
aerozeppl

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to dmeadows for sharing.

A: Deep reddish brown in color. A quarter finger of white head.

S: Tart cherries. Quite a bit of malt came through in the nose which was quite surprising. The cherries come back for more. You get a little bit of the oak from the barrel. Little bit of funk in the back as well.

T: Tart cherries up front. Little bit of vinegar in the middle. Lots of oak in the taste. A touch of vanilla. Little big of horse in there as well for good measure.

M: Nice full bodied beer.

D: A very nice sipper. Other than the slight warming no real hint of the ABV at all. One could easily put down a 375 by themselves but it is probably a beer that is best to share.

01-11-2010 00:23:40 | More by aerozeppl
billshmeinke

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

I was very excited to try this one. Notes from cell phone.

750ml bottle to snifter.

A: Coca cola with no head. Slight ring of foam around the glass edge. Evidence of very tiny bubbles at the top of the brew.

S: Tart cherries mostly. Overpowers any other smell.

T: Tart cherries, champagne, other dark fruits as well. Spicy alcohol, green apple. Oak, bourbon, vanilla. The cherry tartness is overpowering, but the other flavors mix well. Very complex and interesting.

M: Warm, small prickly bubbles not a lot of carbonation, but enough.

D: This is great. A sipper, but very tasty and drinkable. I poured a glass for my friend Jessica who isn't into craft beers at all, and she even appreciated it.

01-10-2010 21:32:23 | More by billshmeinke
Thorpe429

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

375mL bottle purchased at the Pizza Port Carlsbad bottle shop in August 2009.

A: Pours a nice dark brown with a clingy white head and plenty of lacing.

S: Sweet tartness from the cherries, with the quadrupel aspect of the brew coming through underneath with a bit of a nose from the barrel.

T: Tart cherries, a bit sour, but not too puckering. Not as complex as the nose led on, but a very tasty beer. The balance between the tartness and sourness of the cherries compared with the quadrupel base could be a bit better, but no major complaints.

M: A tad bit puckering for some dryness. Medium-bodied.

D: Very tasty all around and one that sat well for quite some time. Glad I picked this one up.

01-10-2010 18:24:10 | More by Thorpe429