Cuvee De Tomme - The Lost Abbey

Cuvee De TommeCuvee De Tomme

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  11.00% ABV

This beers base starts out as "The Mother of all Beers" quadruple. It is then aged in oak barrels with lots of cherries. The cherries and the natural bacteria in the barrels from previous batches give the beer a tart sourness.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cuvee De Tomme Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

'09 bottle poured into a Mother Earth tulip glass. Thanks to mikedashg for trading me this one.

Upon the initial pour, this beer didn't look like anything special. It was a dark reddish-brown with a very small amount of white head and looked like it might be a little flat.

The smell was oak, sour cherries and hints of funkiness and alcohol.

It wasn't until I tasted this one that it truly took off for me though. I'm a big sour beer nut, and I find that a lot of sours taste similar to one another, but this beer is very unique, different and sensational. Sour cherries definitely are the most prominent flavor, but there's a good amount of oak going on here as well. The maltier base also backed up the sour flavor better than most of the lighter sour beers I've had.

The mouthfeel also is unique, as the beer is heavier and more full-bodied than any sour I've ever had. It coats your mouth before the dry finish. It's not super carbonated, but I didn't find that it made my experience of drinking it any less enjoyable, and the carbonation level was just fine for the beer.

This beer is ridiculously easy to drink and I was shocked to see that it was 11% ABV on the bottle. I could drink a bunch of these and drink myself into oblivion quite easily (if I had more than one bottle, that is).

Lost Abbey has a lot of detractors, but thus far they are 2/2 with me (this and Deliverance). I can honestly say that this is one of the best wild ales I've ever had and a truly unique beer for fans of sours.

starrdogg, Jan 22, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Sweet and tangy, that's how I would describe this. Truly deep ruby with mahagony highlights. No head, light tan ring, no lacing. No carb either. Fantastic aroma of sour cherry, vanilla, bourbon, oak and lactic sourness. I also get brown sugar and a nice graham cracker crust aroma. Very complex taste: quad base is nice, thick malts with raisin undertones, cherry comes in with notes of vanilla and oak, tartness meets the palate on the back end and is lightly sour,, could/should be more sour. The sour note cleans up what would otherwise be a cloying beer. Slick mouthfeel from the lack of carb. Fairly drinkable for a huge beer. Down sides-poor carb even after holding this beer at above cellar temp for weeks.

EDIT: drinking a 2008 bottle, very different then fresh. The nose is muted, but the flavor is kicked up. Much more sour, acetic, vinegar, and sour cherry. Still very low carb even after almost three years. Glad I had this when I did. Drink 'em if you got 'em because I think its peaking.

pmlondrigan, Jan 21, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2009 Vintage. Huge thanks to hophead247 for this one!

(A)- Pours a rather dark brewed coffee-like color. Produced a quickly dissipating light tan colored head. Minimal lacing.

(S)- A rich, raisin rich profile with equally potent sour cherries and a hint of acidic sourness. More hints at dates, plums, and molasses amidst the mildly acidic profile.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A rich, yet tart and sour cherry and date acidic character. Hints at cocoa and more acidic sourness.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A good acidic sourness combined with a rich raisin, date, and cocoa dark fruits. Complex.

(D)- A unique and dynamic, yet fitting take on the style. Obviously a darker representation, but it does pull it off well. Worth acquiring and enjoying. I rather enjoyed this one.

sweemzander, Jan 09, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a bottle we bought at the Lost Abbey/Port brewery. We poured into wide-mouthed wine glasses to allow the beer to breath. The beer pours a muddy, cloudy, sludge-looking brown. If anyone says 'this is a good looking beer' they are either lying or deranged. However, from what I've heard on this website and around the beer community, I am excited to try this. There is no head, or any other signs of carbonation.

The nose is heavy with a deep, dark red wine (shyraz or maybe syrah) scent. The other heavy aroma is a brown sugar/alcohol smell. There are hints of cherry and earthy smells. The beer has a sour initial taste, with undertones and highlights of vanilla, dark cherry, and wood. The sourness stays through to the aftertaste, but moderate and mild. There is almost a chocolate note in the later flavors, but a bit too spicy to be sure. The finish is crisp and sharp, and the beer has a sour linger in mouth. Not a beer to sit around and pound, by any means. I can absolutely appreciate what they were trying to do, but this one just isn't for me.

GarthDanielson, Jan 05, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

2010
Pours ugly dirty brown. No head or bubbles. It's Lost Abbey so I knew this coming in, and contrary to popular preference I actually prefer some beers, including sours, flat - I feel you can get more complexity that way. This is a damn ugly beer though.

I smell alcohol and cherries. A bit of malt in the background, stretching I'd say vanilla, dry oaky scents.

This beer absolutely requires a bit of carbonation and it just doesn't have it. Taste is grape, sugar and the aforementioned scents. Very sweet with an average amount of sour, not a bad tasting beer by any means. Did I mention this beer is sweet, very syrupy sweet.

Non-carbonated, dense beer - can't taste much alcohol, DEFINITELY not 11% my god.

Glad I got a few of these, they are tasty and worth a try. Interested to see if they self-carbonate in the future but if they do I doubt they'd change my score much.

ptykozoon, Dec 29, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

750ml bottle, split - served in Red Wine glasses

A - pours with just a couple random bubbles, the beer is very dark burgundy, red...much like wine. the still lifelessness makes one worry about perceived carbonation.

S - very, very sharp lactic sourness...ripe and freshly crushed sour cherries. sweetness from the oak, vanilla, and candi sugar. just a hint of vinegar and grapes to the end.

T - again, massive biting sourness which just clings to the tongue and beats it up. lactic, crushed sour cherries have still kept their flavor for over a year. has a bit of tannic sweetness and dryness that would make it appealing to a wine-drinker. the sweet cherries, oak, and vanilla keep the sourness from being metallic and eve vinegary. surprising hint of cocoa at the end as well.

M - carbonation as expected is a bit on the low side, though still present. slightly dry in the finish due to the big healthy lactic sour bite. long, drawn out lactic sourness just doesnt go away and begs for another sip.

D - well, this one is a bit al over the place. big and bad, cures the biggest sour craving. split a big bottle of this with at least 4, if not 5 people. can be a bit wearing after a bit of time. the 11% is virtually non-present.

Stigs, Dec 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

2009 bottle, believe this was provided by Sean at our Epic Chicago Tasting.

A - Dark brown color with some tinges of purple in it. No real head on this one, no lacing, although you kind of expect the lack of head with most Lost Abbey beers.

S - Tart, with cherries and other assorted dried fruits. Some signs of carob in there as the beer sits for a while, quite nice.

T - A great tart beer, with a proper oak presense and chocolatey taste as it warms up. The dark fruit helps coat the tongue and provide some nice contrast to a bitingly sour beer. Nicely done.

M - Not quite as low on the carbonation as it looked, which just adds a little more kick to this one. Full bodied.

D - Good beer, quite drinkable for 11%, I liked this quite a bit and would gladly drink more.

AgentZero, Dec 23, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark molasses brown color with very little bubbly head covering.

Nose comes with tart Bolotin cherry, dark fruits with a light must and funk touch of wild yeast funk. Some dark malts, a little molasses.

Taste comes with tart cherry and light syrup, little chewy malts, semi sweet, sour light malt vinegar. Some light bready malts, bit of sour fruit but not much. A very nice flavor. Finish brings long tart little dry funky bready malts.

Mouth is med little sticky and lower carbonation.

Drinks well for being 11% and the stickiness isn't bad, tartness and vinegar balance really well with the malts, for a nice drinkable beer.

jlindros, Nov 07, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

750ml corked & caged bottle at NotF poured into a sampling glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very hazy dark brown with a a small dark brown head with a nice amount of lacing. Nose is sharp and malt with a good funky nose.

Taste is quite sharp and tart, it's got a very sharp funkiness that's quite unique an tasty. Finish is sharp and funky, quite good.

kingcrowing, Nov 07, 2010

Reviewing from notes. A 2009 bottle. I had this at a BA tasting at the Freetail Brewpub in San Antonio on 10/09/10.

A: The small corked bottle opens without a pop and pours a dark opaque red, nearly brown color. The color is nice, but no head, and no lace forms.
S: A nice tart fruitiness up front. Mostly of cherries. Lightly vinous, with some oak and vanilla sweetness lingering.
T: Just kind of a nondescript tartness. Maybe some cherries and a lingering vanilla sweetness.
M/D: A medium body, but pretty much flat. What else should I expect from Flat Abbey? This needs to by crisp and dry. It is not by any means. Not hard to drink, but a bit of alcohol and the lifeless feeling does not make this very inviting.

Grr, this is a beer I have been looking forward to trying for a while. Though once again, a flat beer has ruined another Lost Abbey for me.

champ103, Oct 11, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Enjoyed from a 2009 bottle at the Off-Centered Experience.

Looks: hazed dark crimson with a tiny head of dark tan that quickly becomes a clingy ring with some film. I love the color on this one.

Smells: tart. Raspberries, cola and lemon.

Tastes: super tart! Sour cherry, oak and a tiny bit of dark chocolate emerge before a massive burst of sour at the swallow, leaving the lingering sweetness of figs at the finish.

Feels: medium, prickly carbonation amidst a nice, velvety medium body. The tartness is striking and lingers in the back, but never becomes overpowering.

Drinks: balanced. It's amazing that such a striking sour character could be so masterfully reigned in, but Cuvee de Tomme accomplishes it by loading the other side of the seesaw with sugary dark fruits. A highlight of the day.

Phelps, Oct 05, 2010

OMG.

Bottle SU#118 (out of 350) is one of the oldest iterations of Cuvee de Tomme. I bought it from Pizza Port Solana Beach in 03 or 04. It has the silver foil over a bottle cap over a cork. It spent 2 more years in sunny San Diego with me, and then another 2 years up in the San Francisco Bay Area, with no protection from the ambient temperature. In the last 2 years, I finally put this 750ml bottle in a wine frig to sit at 55F.

OMG.

The cork showed no signs of expansion or bulging above the bottle rim. There was no gasp of carbonation when I uncorked the bottle. I gently poured the beer into my unibroue goblet. At first it appeared flat, but then I saw a thin lacing of super microfine bubbles. The smallest bubbles I've ever seen, even compared to champagne. It's a murky dark brown that is a little bit lighter on the edges.

The aroma is a silky blended choco-floral-cherry deal. Restrained early on as I served it from the refrigerator. As it warmed, the deep chocolate aroma came out more.

On the tongue, I get moderate to strong cherry sourness tailed by a lovely chocolate presence. Then the sour cherry surges, while being balanced by a steady rind-like hop bitterness (grapefruit pith or lime pith) and the super crisp carbonation. The bitterness persists a little more than necessary.

OMG.

This beer is just gorgeous. This crisp carbonation and sourness are perfect for the fresh salmon burgers I threw together. They even match the mini-cupcakes that my wife brought home. Each sip refreshes the palate perfectly. It's medium to full bodied, and it tastes like it's a 3% abv beer. Incredible! I saved a few ounces in the bottle to try tomorrow, but I could easily have finished the entire 750ml. An 11.5% beer that I can drink like a session beer. Incredible!!!! OMG this beer defied all odds -- 7 years old and less than ideal storage conditions -- and it is just beautiful. I have one more Cuvee de Tomme from 05, I think, so I think I may sit on it 2 more years to get to 7 years old as well =)

oggg, Sep 30, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Shared at a small tasting at my place last weekend.

A: Mahogany brown with a pretty small, timid head that doesn't linger.

S & T: The aroma and taste are quite similar. I found them both to be extremely complex with aromas and flavors consisting of cherries, wild yeast, oak, vanilla, malt, misc. spices, bourbon, alcohol. There's definitely a lot going on here. While it's noticeable that the base beer is a quad, Cuvee de Tomme has become an entirely different beast now. The souring and barrel aging have taken over and now dominate the flavor of the beer. That being said, this is a well done, artfully crafted beer that I find intriguing and enjoyable.

M: The feel is medium bodied with sour notes throughout - not the type of sour that makes you pucker, but rather a consistent funky cherry and wild yeast flavor that blends in cohesively among a barrage of scents and flavors.

D: Quite tasty and profound. This is a great treat to share several ways. Recommended.

Huhzubendah, Sep 29, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

750ml bottle into sniffer. 2009 vintage.

A: Pours a deep dark maroon with flash of head that disappeared before I set the bottle down. No lace.
S: Smells of rich dried black cherries and prunes. Very tart smelling with a hint of musty wood, funk, salt and just a vapor of alcohol.
T: Super-duper tart with musty oak and bitter old fermented cherries. I can tell there is a lot going on in this beer, but the sour cherries and cherry pits really dominate much of the flavor. There are some notes of vanilla in the oak. Aftertaste has a hint of tobacco to it. The flavors really open up after the beer breaths and warms in the glass, and the cherries gain a little bit of sweetness to them.
M: The acid gnaws at the throat at first as you swallow, but either my palate got used to it or the beer mellowed out because it's drink mighty fine right now. The finish is extremely dry, one of the driest I've had. My mouth definitely puckered at times too. Carbonation is medium and sharp at moments. Alcohol is masterfully hidden and almost unnoticeable, especially for a beer over ten percent.
D: This is one fairly epic drink even if it is a bit rough at times. Not quite as flavorful or complex as say, Supplication, and a bit abrasive. The price was a bit steep, but I am glad I got to try this.

8/2012 EDIT: 2003 vintage (first bottling) #41/350 hand-bottled by LA. Thanks for sharing Chad!

Pours flat, dark ruddy brown, a shade browner and lighter than red wine. Darker than I remember. Slight oxidization but it's very light. There is lots of oak and deep fruits, cherries, and must. Flat mouth, no carbonation, with a tartness that is not even close to the 09 I reviewed. Not much sourness but a bit of acid. Drying mouth and slick. A little too old but amazingly good for its age.

scottfrie, Sep 29, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -51.3%

2009, 37.5cl bottle

Pours out dark reddish brown with barely any carbonation. Wonderful clarity. Smell is signature for Lost Abbey. Pungent acetic acid up front with little in the way of balance between brett and acidity. Figs, over-ripe plums, raisins, and a deep sour cherry aroma is below this. Bourbon isn't strong.

Taste is not as acidic as the nose but it still has a sharp vinegar bite to it. Pretty awful actually. More dark fruit flavors coming through with a muddy cherry/pit flavor. Very slight bourbon again. The acid really takes over your palette, keeping you from getting more of the sweet quad beneath it. Maybe I'm mistaking the oak for that cherry pit taste because of this?

This beer is nearly still. In fact, I think more carbonation left the bottle when opening it than what was actually in solution. Oily on the palette. Pretty unpleasant mouthfeel.

BearsOnAcid, Sep 16, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Lee - much obliged!

Pours a murky brownish-amber color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of dark malts backed up by loads of tart cherry aromas. Also present are hints of subtle vanilla from the oak and moderate amounts of funk. As the beer warms very slight amounts of boozy dark fruits - raisins mostly with hints of dates - waft out.

Tastes very good. Dark malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by large amounts of tart cherries and funk. Midway through the sip hints of vanilla make a brief appearance before giving way to the tart cherry flavors that carry through to a crisp ending. As with the aroma, hints of darker fruit flavors come into play as the beer warms but the tart cherry flavors remain in charge.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I had no problems finishing my glass and could easily have a few more.

Overall this really is a fantastic beer and shows why people continue to buy LA beers despite the occasional QC issue. Well worth a shot.

glid02, Sep 10, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2009 375-ml bottle.

A-Nice pop as the cork is removed. Pours a dark, quad-like brown with 1/2 inch head. Leaves a gorgeous lacing.

S-Notes of cherries, candi sugar, oak and balsamic-vinegar tartness tickle the nose.

T- Big-ass sour right up front. Reminds me of Supplication on steroids. Follows with a ton of complexity rare for the style -- spices, balsamic, beef, cherries, oak and a touch of cardboard.

M-Really, really perfect mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation level (medium) and fantastically-thick and chewy body (rare for a sour).

D- Outrageously drinkable for a beer as big as it is. Just a fantastic high-powered sour that has me loving it more and more as I drink it -- one sip begs for another.

masterhomebrewer, Sep 09, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

09 750ml into tulip. Thanks, azurelimits.

A- A bit lighter in the pour than I expected. Muddy brown. Minimal carbonation, no head but lots of tiny bubbles on the surface.

S- Cherries, oak. Tart. Fruity. Great nose on this one, I could get lost in it.

T- Again, cherries. A very tart and sour beer. Slight vinegar burn on the way down, but not too acidic. The base quad is basically lost, more of an oud bruin here. Still, the cherries have fantasic depth and go great with the sour base.

M- Low but adequate carbonation. Seems like LA carbonation is always in question, but this one was right on the money. No complaints. Easy drinkin' for 11%.

D- Fairly high, esp. considering the style and ABV. I enjoyed this bottle to myself over an hour or two and would like to revisit it again. Pricey, but very tasty.

Send some of this to the East Coast!

ShogoKawada, Aug 05, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

'09 750 ml bottle into Bruery tulip, with a big thanks to Iconoklaztor. It took almost a year, and a move from Brooklyn to Nashville, but the wife and I finally decided tonight was the right night to pop this one. Thanks, Don!

Pours still as a frozen pond, with a deep, murky purplish-brown and no real bubbles whatsoever to speak of.

Nose is quite balanced - opening with a mellow shot of acidic sourness, mixed with a deep underlying malt richness that recalls the cherries, currants, and quite a bit brown sugar, all backed by a decent amount of spicy alcohol heat.

Taste starts off with more of the fore-mentioned mellow sour bite mixing it up with the sour cherry note, almost vinous, just enough barnyard funk to dirty things up a bit, with a sturdy underlying malt body with a bit of rich brown sugar, raisins, and just enough alcohol heat to tickle, all underneath the sourness. There's a burst of more vivid fruits (both cherry and the darker stuff) leading right up to the finish, and then a few seconds after the swallow comes one last burst of earthy funk with a just a bit mild, earthy bitterness, almost tannic, and quite a bit of dry oak.

A lot of people have weighed in on the lack of carbonation with this one. Let me just weigh in by saying: it's really not bad at all. Basically still, medium bodied; what it could really use to make it pop is just a bit more of a lactic/acetic sharpness to give it some of the dryness and bite that normally comes from the scrubbing bubbles. Still, while different from the norm, it's certainly not bad, and absolutely not as bad as the same mouthfeel in Angel's Share. Because this beer is so naturally vinous, getting mad at it for being still or calling it a drain pour seems utterly counter-intuitive, like calling a very good bottle of Cabernet a drain pour because it isn't carbonated either. Maybe some don't make the same connection, but to me it worked pretty well.

Drinkability is really pretty great for the abv. To style, probably a 4, but I'm giving it a bump because of the excellent masking of the alcohol. Quite tasty.

Not a bad beer at all, though if I want a beer that fits this mold, I would normally just reach for an Abbaye de St. Bon-Chien if it was available in my area - many of the same characteristics (down to the still mouthfeel if sampling one of the 375 ml Grand Cru variants), only with just a bit more sourness, and just a bit more refined in all the right places. Regardless, this is still a very good beer, and certainly something I would be proud of if I had brewed it.

JohnQVegas, Aug 02, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A: a dark deep brown base beer with a slight head that retains around the outside of my Duvel tulip.

S: Tart cherries, dark fruits, figs, oak

T: Tart cherries, figs, dark fruits, sour funk, some barrel some interesting layers that I love.

M: A nice medium bodied beer, very smooth, nice carbonation levels.

D: This is a very easy beer to drink, the alcohol is hidden and the sour aspects are not overpowering.

nas5755, Aug 02, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got the chance to try this great beer thanks to a trade!

A- Body is a translucent mildly foggy mahogany hue. Pours with a thin off white collar that fades quickly.

S-Dark fruit, anise, licorice, oak, a touch of alcohol, a slightly sour/acidic presence, and a hint of chocolate malt. Decent overall but more ripe and dark than wild.

T- Large dose of sour cherry upfront-which is quite acidic and slightly lip-puckering. Chocolate malt is very faint in the background. The sourness fades for the finish as smooth vanilla and soaked oak flavors emerge-but then becomes bone dry-and resembles a dark fruity wine.

M- Smooth, full bodied. Slightly dry slightly juicy characteristics. Soft carbonation.

D- This is a VERY good wild ale. Its a nice dark wild ale that is quite complex and quite sour-but not over the top.

PittBeerGirl, Jul 06, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Big thanks to Sarah for sharing this one!

A-pours a cloudy mahogony colored liquid. the vigourous pour produces a thin small amount of khaki colored head.

S-the nose is nice, notes of earthy musk, oak, cherries, vinegar, and some tartness.

T-the taste is quite nice, a touch of earthiness to it up front, notes of vinegar, the oak lies right behind with a good bit of cherries and cranberries behind. the back has a good bit of tartness to it in a nice way.

M-smooth with a good medium body, prickly on the back of the throat and actually more carbonation than I thought after the poor.

D-quite tasty, great balance. i really enjoyed the the hint of earth to up the complexity with the sour tart cherries. the oak is played in pretty well also.

cpetrone84, Jun 22, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

I grabbed this at City Beer Store during a vacation in San Francisco last September. Drinking this tonight on a hot, sticky evening.

2009 vintage, 750mL

APPEARANCE: Pours into my New Belgium tulip a deep, ruddy brown with a firm, finger-high, beige head on top. The foam is tightly bubbled and drops quickly to a hearty collar with a large patch across the surface of the beer.

SMELL: Deep sour with a significant lactic component. A bit of funky sock quality comes through as well. It's quite fruity and vinous with a large dose of vanilla quality from the barrels. Overall nice, but a bit sharp and harsh.

TASTE: Much more well rounded than the aroma. The fruitiness really shines here with cherry and wine. It begins fairly funky before giving way to full-on tart by the finish. Barrel flavors are muted but certainly present. Excellent.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied but an effervescent carbonation lightens things up considerably. Silky smooth without being syrupy. Perfect.

DRINKABILITY: Oh God. I just saw that it's 11%. You'd never know at all. This is incredible and I'm going to drink the whole 750.

A world-class beer for sure and worth seeking out. I'm really bummed now that I don't have another. Time to start planning that next California trip.

jmalex, Jun 17, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

From, 6/12/10 notes. Shared by nimbleprop, thanks Mac. 2009 vintage.

a - Pours a mahogany brown color with light carbonation and no head.

s - Smells of sweet dark fruits, sour cherries and sour dark fruits, hints of funk, oak, and fruit malts. Very enjoyable.

t - Tastes of wine, dark fruits, sour cherries, oak, and funk. Tastes great.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Very smooth and easy to drink for 11% ABV.

d - I thought this was an amazing sour, one of the better ones I've had. It had an amazing sour cherry and dark fruit taste, with hints of oak and funk. Would love to try again.

mdfb79, Jun 15, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a deep brown with some red hues, capped by a thin, fizzy tan head. The head recedes almost immediately, leaving a ring around the top of the beer and some spotty lacing.

S: Tart cherries with a lactic acidity pop up first partially balanced by sweet cherry notes, followed by a mild barnyard/earthy funk. The base beer comes through with dark fruits - plums and raisins especially - and belgian candi sugars. Oak lurks in the background but isn't overdone.

T: Balanced sweet and tart cherries up front evolve into a fairly strong tartness - not mouthpuckering but some serious lactic qualities. Funk comes in to cut the acidity, followed by oak and the base popping through with a hint of sweetness towards the end. Some vinous notes make themselves known at various points. Finishes dry with oak, earthy tones and cherries.

M: Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation.

D: The ABV is well hidden and the acidity is never overpowering, goes down remarkably easy.

Xul, Jun 10, 2010