Cuvee De Tomme - The Lost Abbey

Cuvee De TommeCuvee De Tomme

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  11.00% ABV

Once upon a time it was the most award winning Pizza Port beer of all time. Now it has found a new home at The Lost Abbey.

A massive brown ale base that is made from four fermentable sugars including Malted Barley, Raisins, Candi Sugar and Sour Cherries, this beer is fully fermented before being placed in Bourbon barrels where the beer ages for one year with the Sour Cherries and the wild Brettanomyces yeast that we inoculate the barrels with.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cuvee De Tomme Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

A - A dark brown/purple/maroon hue. Very opaque with a brownish white head that disappears quickly, but maintains an outer ridge around the edge of the glass.

S - Sour cherries dominate, with undertones of sugar and roasted malt. Occassionally a bourbon whiff spikes through and gives an oaky character to the smell.

T - Very, very sour and tart cherry flavor dominate the first impression, but as the acidic sourness fades, the flavor sinks into a bed of toasty malts, sweet vanilla, and oakiness with some very mild hints of bourbon. As the second wave of flavors pass some of the sourness returns, but the final taste is pure cherry sweetness.

M - Very thick and I was actually surprised at the level of carbonation. While the beer is smooth, the carbonation makes it dry out a bit quick, rushing the flavor a bit.

D - High ABV, very expensive, but oh so delicious.

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ

A: The pour is dark brown with reddish tints. A bit of off-white foam sits on top.

S: Tart cherries, raisins, a bit of alcohol, and bit of funk. Leather, oak, and plenty of earthy notes to go along with it.

T: The predominant flavor is the tart cherry. There is also some sour apple and raisins. The finish is quite earthy and dry. Not a huge funk to the beer, but great oak/barrel contributions.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation, and quite tart.

D: A great all around experience. Great flavor and sourness.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Wow, I've been waiting to try this beer forever. Decided to enjoy it while making my 3rd ever batch of homebrew.

This beer smells amazing, everything I hope a sour would smell like. Lots of cherries and sours in the nose

While this beer tastes great I really wish it had as much cherries in the flavor as in the nose. This is about as sour a beer as I've had (minus La Folie). A great one for sure, but I'm not sure if its worthy of all the hype its gotten. Still, I would definitely have this again

4.38/5  rDev +4%

2009 vintage. Poured from 375mL bottle into a Malheur chalice. Beer was a dark brown color with a very small, light brown head. Light carbonation and very little lacing.

Aroma was sour cherries, raisins and vanilla. Very tart.

Taste was tart fruits, moderate funk, red wine, bourbon and some earthy notes. Tannins on the tongue.

Fantastic beer. Great at cellar temp. Definitely worth seeking out.

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

375ml bottle 2009 Vintage
Given to me by Barleywinebrewer, thanks for the opportunity Bill!

Poured into a Maudite Tulip. Looks the color of coca cola, only no head. A few small bubbles cling to the surface but quickly disappear. Smells of raisins, cherries, vanilla, brown sugar, a touch of vinegar and alcohol. Taste is sour cherries, tart acidic flavor with some funk. Slight vanilla, vinegar and a touch of alcohol. Carbonation is almost non existent, mouthfeel is a sour syrupy mess, body is medium. I think I would have really enjoyed this one if it were carbonated, but as is Meh.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lost Abbey- Cuvee de Tomme (2008 vintage). I've had the good fortune to try this beer a number of times already, from the tap, from various bottles, and from various vintages as well (03, 05, 07, 08, 09) and I think it's about damn time I sat down and reviewed it. I decided on the 08 vintage because, well that's the only vintage I had two bottles of.

A nice 'pop' and pressure as I removed the cork from the 375ml bottle. The beer pours a dark cola-like color with crimson overtones when struck by light. There's about a quarter inch of foam that's produced by a careful pour. The head quickly falls down and leaves a nice, full, ring around my Lost Abbey tulip glass. A stir of the glass brings back about a half inch of tan colored foam.

On first encounter I am greeted by a wonderful mixture of tart cherries, caramel, vanilla, oak, bourbon, and hints of chocolate in the background. With a closer inspection I am able to pick up notes of raisins, Belgian candy sugar, candy-like yeast esters, sweet cherries, raspberry candy, and a low level of brett with just a touch of leather. Everything seems to be in harmony and well integrated, the aroma just comes through as a whole. Soft tannins, oak, and vanilla dance around in the background with an interesting combination of light chocolate and caramel.

More tannic in the flavor with a rush of oak, bourbon, cherries, and a finish of caramel, chocolate, and dry leather. There's a sour cherry flavor that seems to dig itself in every crevice of my gums and lingers there for a few moments. A bit of warming alcohol is noticeable in the finish. Tart dark fruits like raisins, dates, and prunes are more apparent on the second sip. Hints of lemon tartness in the finish with more oak flavors. Cherry juice and caramel flavors intensify as it warms up with just a hint of nuttiness. Some grape flavors also come through.

Moderate carbonation, light, airy, soft, and creamy. The finish is medium to high dry as well. Fairly easy to drink despite the high abv. The 08 batch was really good, the current 09 batch is even better though and I would give it a slightly higher score on taste!

2009 edition, poured into a 25 oz. snifter

Very dark in color, I gave it a fairly hard pour which yield a very late rising finger of head that receded quickly and left a thin collar. I could smell it as I poured it, but putting my nose to the glass reveals tart cherries, light oak, a bit of raisin and a citrus character.

The taste is very tart cherries with a sourness that is mouth puckering but not strong, lots of oak characteristics and a dryness in the finish. Very nice taste. Medium bodied, but fuller for the style. Will need to re-rate in the future once I get more accustomed to this style of beer.

EDIT: Cracked open another 2009 bottle in November 2010. My previous description is accurate, but I need to bump up my scores. Really a wonderful beer, the sour cherries and oak complement each other perfectly.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Sampled from a 750ml bottle purchased at the Pizza Port Bottle Shop. 2009 series.

A - Brown with a cherry tinge and a small beige head.

S - Tart cherries dominate with a hint of alcohol coming through. Very appetizing.

T - Starts with a huge tart, cherry flavor that lingers for some time; much more so that other American brewed sours I've tried. There's also some raisin and bourbon in the finish. You can barely notice the 11% alcohol with all of the activity going on.

M - A mouth puckering experience with every sip. The moderate carbonation is just right.

D - This is a flavorful and complex beer that is able to blend some strong flavors and make them work well together. I can't say I'd advocate paying $30 for a beer very often but this one was worth it.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours a dark dull brown. Head is minimal at best. It's tan and only tops out at a thin cap on the brew. After a few seconds it ends up as a slight ring. Very light rings of lace remain behind in the glass. This category could use some improvement.

S - Very tart sour fruitiness kicks the nose from the start. Alcohol comes out hot and strong as well. Some funky aromas come in midway. Mostly musty with some old damp hay that chimes in. Sweet bread finishes it off.

T - Fruitiness has notes of sour green apple and bitter cherry. Funk really shines in the flavor. Definite hay and must that comes in around the middle and doesn't fade very quick at all. Alcohol is warm and borderline hot. Nice malt backbone that becomes noticeable toward the end. Some light caramel and bread flavors cap it all off.

M - Medium bodied with a very light carbonation. It works well though. Kind of gives it a smoothness that plays off the sour funk. Finish is tart and hangs on to the palate for quite a while.

D - Drinkability is good. Alcohol is a little warm at times but seems to always to stay just under control. The high alcohol makes this one a sipper but having more than one over the course of an evening isn't out of the question. This really is an all around good brew. It borders on great but appearance really drags the score down along with my impression of the beer. It tastes great but really doesn't look very appealing. I'd have it again though...no question about that.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Super thanks to MasterSki for surprising me with this when I stopped by tonight. Poured from a 375mL bottle into a Surly Darkness snifter glass.

A: Pours a dark brown color with off-white/tan head and a slight amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like sour apple juice, similar to wine scents, sour cherries, raisins, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel

T: Tastes like sour cherries and apple juice, caramel, wine flavors, some vanilla and raisins - warms as it goes down, you can feel the heat a little

M: Nicely carbonated and full bodied that coats the palate - definitely a little heat in there

D: Well drinkable especially for me since I'm not really into sours. The flavor is definitely interesting and complex and even though you can tell it's a big beer you are enticed to want more sips.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

From a 750 mL at Chad's place, into tulips:

A- Dark mahogany brown with some amber highlights at the edges. Faintly cloudy. Minimal film of head that dissipates quickly after a pour or swirl.
S- Wine-like aromas of sour cherry, vanilla, and golden raisins. Whiff of caramel in there too. Appetizing.
T- Puckering acidity carries slight sour cherry, lemon, raisin, and bourbon flavors on a medium-bodied frame. All the elements of the beer's upbringing are evident.
M- The minimal carbonation goes just fine with all the acidity; too much fizz would make the beer lose something. It has good cut on the palate, as you'd expect.
D- This is a lovely sipper, good for sitting and chatting, contemplating. Not for mindlessly imbibing while watching a football game. A very different experience, and worth a try.

Thanks, Chad!

4.8/5  rDev +14%

25.9 corked and caged bottle into a Brooklyn tulip split between four friends on my balcony. One of the "Last Hurrah" bottles of the night, as my wife and I are moving to New York in exactly one week from Virginia.

Appearance: Very hazy and very dark red wine-like and chocolate covered cherry brown amber, little head and retention, but a gorgeous color, one often not seen by me, with a nearly opaque physical richness and radiance going on.

Smell: Red wine and Flemish Red funkiness going on. Caramel. Nuanced wood and bourbon. I expected the bourbon to be more prominent, but again, it's the nuance that comes to fruition as it warms, and with everything else going, the accents seem to be doing their thing, rather than a complete tun-o-war against everything they did with this, which I like. Lush and tart cherries here really come to fruition. In a Flemish Red it's usually the yeast adding the phenolic tartness and whatnot, but here you can tell it's the cherries. Some caramelized vanilla. Cinnamon rind. Pepper and complex possibly weird spices that could be many. And some weird black magic marker or tar too. There's so much going on here.

Taste: Initial huge, puckering, tart, sweet, sour, cherry madness going on. That's the primary ingredient here, and everything else seems to be playing off of it. Flemish sourness and woodiness too. Subtle notes of caramelized wood and vanilla and spice from the bourbon barrels. And yet there's also a good sense of earthy citrus bitterness, rind-like, coming through. And there's a wealth of spice and pepper and some mild cinnamon, as if they stuck some sticks into the mix while this was doing its thing fermenting. This beer straddles the line between a wine and a beer, and it's the first one that's legitimately done this, and so goddamn well. Wine lovers will find something to love here I think, and I've started to become into it more during the last few years, but that shouldn't detract the beer lovers either. One of the most complete and odd and fascinating experiences with a beer that I've ever had, and I wonder, like a wine, how this would get better with age and what other complexities would start to emerge.

Mouthfeel: Vinous and rich, with not a ton of carbonation, but the subtlety of the carbonation may seem to be a point. Or there's too much acidity from the cherries to have some kind of prickly carbonation. Or it would maybe be reductive or detrimental; I'm not sure. But as I said, it's rich, and like a wine is coating, but either the acidity or... well, I don't know what, but something makes it not sticky or cloying, which makes sense. More like a wine than a beer if you had to point to something, but yes, this is indeed a beer. It's just that line keeps positively wavering between the both of them.

Drinkability: At around $30 a bottle, this is worth it for a few people to split. I would've been happy to drink this myself, but I would 1) want more people to experience than just me, of course, and 2) want to save a bit of money. Five people could easily enjoy this and talk about it for a long time while sipping. But wow, yes, this was an experience. It's unlike any beer I've had, and as the years go on, we'll see what kind of copycats emerge, and if someone can actually attempt to do better. This was my first Lost Abbey brew, and I hope I'm able to afford and find many more as they keep brewing.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Ahhh here it is, my 100th BeerAdvocate review. I knew I wanted something special for this one, but I didn't know what that was. I decided on both 1) the most expensive beer I've ever seen ($32 for a bottle), and 2) one from my favorite brewery, Lost Abbey in San Diego.

A: Pours an assimilating mahogany hue, with a very solid but light head, and lacing that sticks around where it needs to be but disappears within a few minutes down the side of the glass. When held up to the light, small microbubbles can be seen rising to the top in an erratic nature. Looks good so far.

S: The aroma is very much like a fine, fruity wine. Bing cherries and a very slight hint of citrus float around the nose area like a light swirl of candy. Smell is present the instant it's poured into the mug.

T: Wow, what a unique experience for a beer. Halfway between an ale and a wine, the aged taste of finely-picked cherries enters the mouth and an explosion of a very ancient and organic feeling of oak and bark extend around the sides of the tongue. Taking a long sip is preferred, and the entire duration of a sip is taken in slowly and thoughtfully, as should be with a beer of this nature. The cheese goes very well as an aftertaste and I find myself eating a small piece every few sips.

M: Lower than the other aspects but still very high. A bit on the lighter, watery side - at least, moreso than I perceived it would be. Swishing it around is similar to a bunch of cherry juice being poured into your mouth. Pretty good but could be better here.

D: Drinkability is high for a Dark Ale of 11%. Obviously can't get much higher than a 4.0 in this regard, but that's what I'll give it. Could take a couple of these down.

Overall: Lost Abbey delivers again, and although I will probably never spend this much on a single beer again, I'm glad I chose it for my 100th review. It was a unique experience and I have never had a brew like this one. I am interested in the three other non-denominational ales from the Lost Abbey now; might have to check them out.

Good stuff!

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

From a 750 mL bottle, great label with the alchemist HQ type look and the Dali clocks,

A: Pours a reddish mahogany with a very light smattering of bubbles, nice colour.

S: Tart cherries, vinegar, oak.

T: Quite oaky and woody with prevalant acidity initially. The back end of the beer comes with a beautiful dark chocolate covered cherry note which I greatly enjoyed.

M: Moderate acidity gives it a good body even the carbonation is nil. Quite smooth and refreshing for 11%.

D: This beer is very easy to drink for its ABV and has fantastic flavours. Do I think it's worth $30, no, but if it was half the price I'd be all over a couple bottles.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Had this tonight with a good friend from a 750ml bottle into a chalice. Served cool, and away we go.

Appearance: Awesome hues of orange-red with a light head of just a little top-carbonation that laces brilliantly down the side. No lie: there was a cherry in my glass as well. Suspended matter was definitely present and the cherry is a nice reminder of the ingredients that make this beer what it is.

Smell: Very Wine-like, with a cherry profile that masks some of the bourbon-y, vanilla undertones. Complex smell, but not earth-shattering.

Taste: Really, really brilliant. Like the smell, but in a tart fashion with a puckering goodness. Cherries are definitely upfront, with the wine-like characteristics in play. Tartness is powerful and puckering, lasts throughout the drink.

Mouthfeel: Much like champagne, dry and crisp to finish. Tartness can really wax afterwards even, and the last sips were indicative of that powerful bite.

Drinkability: As with sours of late, I could really drink these all night. This 11% warmed as it went, but so, so drinkable. I couldn't have done the whole 750 by myself due to the sneaky ABV, but I certainly could have taste-wise. Fantastic beer that I couldn't get enough of, if only it weren't 30 bucks a bottle. This and the Duck Duck Gooze from Lost Abbey have me hooked on the tart sours, and I couldn't be more excited about the horizon of sours to come.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to Overlord for this bottle. Poured into a dogfish head signature glass.

The color is a murky red/brown that fades to ruby and glows around the edges. There is not much of a head and the beer doesn't leave much of a lacing, just a speckled ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass that fade fairly quickly.

The smell is a blast of sour, sour cherries when you put your nose to the glass, impressively strong. Below the cherries there is just some barrel scent along with a slight hint of raisins and brown sugar sweetness.

The taste is just like the smell, sour and very ripe cherries blast the taste buds, followed by some oak to mellow (I use the term mellow loosely, this is a blast of sour flavor) and then some raisin sweetness. Right in the middle there's some lemon citrus that is strong but quickly blasted away by the final wave of sour cherry.

After the pour and my nervousness about the Lost Abbey carbonation issues I was worried that the mouthfeel would be disappointing, but that is just not the case. The beer is pleasantly carbonated enough to balance the intense sour cherry flavor and the dry finish is incredibly palatable and refreshing. The 11% abv is hard to detect, aside from a slight (but very pleasant) warming of the belly after a few sips. This is a beer that I will definitely pursue in the future, and a great introduction to Lost Abbey.

4.38/5  rDev +4%

2008 375ml bottle into DFH snifter.
A nice pop, which is a good start.

A - Pours brown with a reddish hue. More brown toward the bottom of the glass but more red towards the top. A good amount of cream colored head and lots of fizzy bubbles, almost champagne-like. A very small amount of lacing, just a very thin ring around the glass that leaves a hint.

S - A huge nose on this one. You can smell the tart/sour of this beer across the room. Lots of oak, tart fruitiness such as sour cherries or sour grapes. Not a huge amount of complexity going on here, but it's amped up so much it makes for a great experience.

T - Sour cherries right off the bat mixed with a nice mellow oaky flavor that has a kick of alcohol (but nothing that would lead me to believe it's 11%). Drinks very similar to a wine...lots of flavors up front with a smooth oak & alcohol finish.

M - Light to medium bodied with good carbonation. No problems at all from my bottle, just right. I think some people expect so much carbonation, it just pours over, but with this style, it's just not the case. Very smooth, refreshing, and clean.

D - So easy to drink for 11%, it's just dangerous. If I wanted a nice Pinot Noir or Cab and had a bottle of this laying around, I'd have to do a coin toss to pick what I'd like to drink. CdT or a Napa Cab/Russian River Pinot...it's that good.

2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

2009 edition. Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into my Duvel snifter. It opened with the bare minimum of sound. No pop or anything. Just the sound of the cork rubbing the bottle on the way out. Fuck! I had even stored warm for several weeks to help with the infamous LA carbonation issues but to no avail. Was black in color even against the light. It poured with absolutely no head or foam or bubbles at all. Even the laser etching in the Duvel glass which usually creates massive carb streams did nothing for this one. Completely devoid of carbonation.

The aroma was oaky vanilla, sour cherries, brett and sweet. Not bad but I found the oak to be way too strong. Was hoping for more of the the cherry and brett to shine. The taste was painfully oaky. Extremely tart with again the cherry and brett not balanced enough with the oak. This just got worse as I continued and it built up on the tongue. Mouthfeel is hurt by no carb and overly oaked.

Overall, a mess and again a major disappointment from LA. I've stopped buying them till they get their shit together. The last couple I've got free from a buddy otherwise I wouldn't get them right now. Still have the Brandy Angel Share to try and that one is supposed to be bad on carb as well. Hope they turn it around soon. Don't recommend due to the price and the carb issues. One and done for me.

[1x]

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 2009 375ml bottle into a brandy snifter.

A: Was thinking about pouring this beer into an aerator and decanter, but once I heard a more than adequate pop (when releasing the cork), I decided to pour straight into my snifter. Once this beer settled into my glass, a bold brownish hue with a hint of burgundy was evident throughout the whole glass. Unfortunately, the lack of head left almost no lacing...but I have come to expect this with this style of ale.

S: A lot of sour cherry, raisin, and oak were prominent in the aroma. The smell also indicated a wine-like presence, with it's deep and sometimes uncanny similarity aroma of a cabernet sauvignon or merlot...had that feel. And yeah...the sour gummy beer aroma was there as well. A lot of things are going on in the aroma.

T: The first taste is very mild...but then turns into a very vided flavor of both very dark sour-flavored candies and red wine. It's crazy...not incredible...but very interesting. Dark cherries and raisins mixed in with nuances of both Wine and American Wild Ale tastes. The thing that impressed me the most was the ability this beer had in hiding the high alcohol content...if I didn't read the label, I would think it was 5-7% ABV.

M: More full-body than what I expected...which made this brew very unique. Carbonation was nice...not overbearing like other lambic/AWA I have had.

D: Very deceptive. High ABV that was almost undetectable, with a flavor profile all over the place. Very enjoyable.

Overall: One of Lost Abbey's better beers. Cheers!

4.38/5  rDev +4%

I scored a few bottles of this from tproko07, thanks for the chance! Pours a dark red color, without much head. In the nose is dark fruit, vinegar, Sour nose of sour fruit....very nice. Taste is medicinal at first, then becomes fruity, leaving ona mix of the two. Mouthfeel is between light and medium, and very drinkable. Overall, this is a very savory Wild beer. I only wise LA would release a year round sour beer. Either way, seek this one out. Cheers.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle purchased at Tustin Whole Foods. Poured into a New Belgium globe glass.

A- Cuvee de Tomme pours an opaque reddish-brown color with amber hues when held up to light. An aggressive pours yields only a bubbly ring along the inside of the glass and a thin, silky film that swirls atop the beer. A few spots of lacing appear at random after each sip.

S- Tart, juicy dark cherries and sour wild yeast with pronounced notes of oak barrel. Accents of vanilla and bourbon rest underneath all the vinous characteristics. The dark base of this beer is evident as notes of molasses and syrupy dark fruits such as raisins, dates, and figs come to the surface. The high alcohol content provides some heat as the beer warms.

T- A strong fruity sourness gives way to flavors of woody oak barrel mixed with notes of dark fruits and a bit of vanilla. The dark fruitiness provides a great contrast to the puckering tartness. The 11% alcohol is remarkably well-hidden. A slight warming sensation shows up as I finish my first half-glass.

M- The liquid feels thick and borders on being syrupy. The carbonation is very mild, which I was expecting based on the lack of bubbles from the pour. I anticipated a more lively mouthfeel though.

D- The drinkability factor is very high given the richness of the flavor coupled with a high ABV. I found that I had to pace myself with this one.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thanks to Corby112 for breaking this out at the Liquid Sunshine Reserva release at Bullfrog Brewery.

A - Poured a deep, earthy reddish brown body with a very thin beige ring around the rim of the glass. Virtually no head or lacing to report.

S - Initial aroma reeks of tart, sour cherries, oak and funky Brett notes.

T - Extremely sour cherry character with a dominating tart quality. Lots of wild yeast and Brett-infused funkiness, which works quite nicely with the cherry, even if it is a bit over-the-top.

M - Medium bodied with a syrupy texture. Finishes with a huge sour pucker factor with just a bit of sweetness and some alcohol warmth on the palate.

D - You'd better like cherries, because this is a bucket of the most sour, tart cherries you'll ever have! With that said, the cherries work nicely with the Brett and oaky notes here. While it's not overly complex, this is definitely a tasty cherry-infused wild ale.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

2009 edition, 375ml bottle.

A soft pop upon opening, it pours a very dark reddish brown with a fine layer of foam that shrinks quickly to a ring around the glass.

The smell has oodles of cherry tartness up front followed by some vanilla and a touch of oak.

The taste greets me again with a bucketload of cherry sourness and I'm reveling in that right now. Mmmm. Ok, vanilla notes are popping up as is an oakie woodsie flavour and more cherries...I can't help but believe that this is another brew that a wine drinker would have no problem enjoying. Oh yeah, the 11%abv gives me just a touch of warming after the swallow. No sign of it in the taste at all. Wow.

The mouthfeel is on the heavy side of light and the carbonation is light but I notice a slight tingle on my tongue before swallowing.

Drinkability? I'd have no problem finishing a 750 never mind this 375! This *is* a top notch brew and I'm very happy I made the commitment to get some. *Very* happy!

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to the trader that hooked me up with this one! Vintage 2008, 12.7oz corked and caged LA bottle. Poured into a tulip style glass.

A: Pours a muddy, crimson red with a small skim of head. Seems pretty lifeless for the style that I was expecting. Completely opaque from the haze with much yeast sediment floating around. Yeast sediment sits atop the small head.

S: Hysterically vinous with red wine notes. Tons of sour cherry juice that smell very fresh, and again, sour. Nice tart lemon notes as well followed by some hay and much funk.

T: Again, very vinous. Over the top red wine characteristics and pretty damn sour. The wild yeast is dominating and bludgeoning anything and everything in its path. Tons of lemon, slight cheese funk, and sour cherries.

Overall, a pretty solid beer. Lacking a touch of complexity I thought, but worth a try for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Fantastic looking beer chestnut in color with a full tannish head fading into a frothy topper leaving a thin residue of lacing around the tulip.

Nose is something else on this. Cherry, bourbon, oak, dried fruits of fig and prune, with hints of cocoa bean and vanilla. Very complex nose mmm.

Amazingly complex brew here. Very tart with cherry and wild yeasts. Finish is dry with hints of acidity and thick wood tannins. Bourbon shows through on the middle with fig, prune, black cherry, hints of cocoa, candied licorice, a bit of alcohol and thick oak on the finish. Carbonation level is spot on for this brew and really lets the beers flavors show forth. This is an amazing beer.

Cuvee De Tomme from The Lost Abbey