Devotion Ale - The Lost Abbey

Devotion AleDevotion Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.30% ABV

It’s an unassuming road leading to the priory. Here, off the corner of two intersecting roads, dedicated monks have been making beer for over 150 years. It’s always been a simple life — the kind that requires they brew only enough to sustain the activities of their monastery. In the silence of passing seasons, they pray, they brew and retire in solitary existence behind the sheltering walls. They live a most interesting life. Most likely one we couldn't sustain.

Nearby, each summer, the trellised fields spring to life as rows of resinous green cones are trained toward the heavens. Rumor is some monks love these hops and being surrounded by budding yellow aromas and the leafy pungent fields inspired them. Since we aren't sensible enough to locate our brewery near hop fields, we can only offer this blond ale in celebration of our Abbey brethren and their steadfast Devotion.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 04-28-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Devotion Ale Alström Bros

4.93/5  rDev +27.7%

750ml bottle served at 45 degrees and poured into a Flute Glass

A – Poured a very nice and very bright yellow tinted amber. Lots of cloudiness and haze were apparent throughout the glass and only proceeded to thicken up as the bottle got closer to the bottom, really bringing some of the yeast forward on this one. A rather large and intense three inch high head of white frothy and foamy lace then formed on the top and decided that it was going to hang around for a while, and really just did not ever fade. Even once it started too settled, it still reaches a height of almost an inch even toward the end of the session. Needless to say copious amounts of side glass lace were present and coated the entire inside of the glass throughout the entire time.

S – Wow, now I knew here I was in for a treat right away. This was such a rich, vibrant, light and fruity smell that I could not nearly contain the joy after the first whiff hit my nose. I am a big fan of Belgian Pales, and especially the ones that have he hop notes to them, and I knew right away I was going to be into something great here. Huge bouquet of light fruity yeast with hints of apples and pears, peaches all coming together and being surrounded by light grains and fresh grass. The topped was a very nice hop profile, bright floral citrus hops, not too pungent, but rather just accenting enough to really bring out everything and meld it together in an aromatic representation of rolling around in a fresh meadow. Just absolutely wonderful.

T – As if it could get any better I was then able to finally take a sip. Wow is the only word that would come to mind. This is exactly what I had been looking for. A perfect example of this style and just a testament to what Lost Abbey can really do. The flavor started out as bright as I could have imagined wit ha big wave of fruit flavors just rolling over you bringing mostly hints of apples, pineapple and pear. This evolved and started to incorporate some almost lemon like flavors with hints of grass and grain, but still staying very light and bright in the profile. As it finished up it rolled off with a very long lasting finish. Very nice and dry and bitter you could really taste the hops coming through here about five seconds after your last sip, just dragging you back, making you take another. Just great here, one of the best tastes I have had in a while.

M – Very very smooth this light bodied ale was really quite deceptive. The flavors were so big, but the body was so light that you really struggled to figure out how that packed so much into it. Very smooth and creamy, the carbonation here was excellent, never at all getting flat, even the last few sips which I let sit around for about 15 minutes were as fresh as the first. Very nice indeed.

D – Now c’mon this was just great. A light bodied well carbonated ale with a huge bright flavor profile and low abv too? How could it not be sessionable? Well it’s almost too good to be sessionable, as it is not like this is easy to get, but if I could have it on tap at my house I would in a second. I don’t really think that you could get bored of this one, even after time it just kept getting better.

Overall this was a fantastic beer from Lost Abbey. I have been slowly working my way through their lineup and to be honest this is my favorite so far. It was so right up my alley that it’s not even funny. Such a great light profile and rich flavors, I am not sure how I could have not found this one earlier. This was just simply excellent and I really need to get more of it.

4.9/5  rDev +26.9%

4.88/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This sounds stupid likely, but as soon as I drank this I thought of being back in Belgium. Lost Abbey nailed this one. Pours a light copper color and a small amount of lacing. Beer retained its head for some time. A very yeasty sweet smell hits you right away along with a nice balance of malts. Nicely carbonated on a hot day, and it just tasted so damn good. Another plus is the 6.3 abv...not overwhelming like many in this category. Great beer

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

Wow, super solid. I love Belgian Single/Small/Pale Ale Trappist work/lunch/fast beer sorta styles and this one delivers big time!

Reminds me of the SPH trappist single, which is saying a lot! Not quite the Mckenzies TPA or Orval but with a brett addition in the secondary and a little malt/hop retooling Tomme can get it there.

Solid crisp pristin gold. Big poofy, fluffy white head of foam that leaves excellent lacing and has excellent legs and retention. Aromas of fresh baked bread, herbal metallic hops, zingey fruit zest. Taste is bready, nice biscuit hop malt. Hops are herbal, slightly metallic, and drying perfect for a berw of this style. A bit of fruit on the back palate (in the very back if you reach to the very very very back of your palate). Mouthfeel is great, zest, lively carbontion yet smooth and yeasty and perfect for the drying finish. A lot of flavor for a low abv style. One of my favorites really. Drinkability is exceptional, a great spring/summer sipper in the Belgian tradition. A great lunch brew teamed up with an artisan sandwitch as well. Really great stuff. Probably the best lost abbey year round beer.

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

this is my kind of beer. definitely drawing influence from a lot of my favorite classic beers (orval and popperings hommel to name a few), it pours murky, hazy, burnt-gold with a white head that holds well and leaves nice lace. only reason it doesn't get a five is because i have a 5 aversion and the head doesn't pillow/chunk up like some of the beers that spawned it's inspiration. nose is honey, a touch of biscuit/bread, grass, flower, apple, pear, lemon/lemongrass, caramel... it just does what it is supposed to and brings up images in my mind of a place that is a kind of "heaven on earth", full of scents that i attach with awesome. taste is very well balanced mix of above with the perfect amounts of sour, bitter, sweet, mineral... great acidity. long finish that sits on the top of the palate and sings. goes down way too easy. bought a case yesterday for $90 (a good deal i thought) and i've already gone through a third of it without sharing. i'll get over my aversion for that and dole out a 5.0 for drinkability. highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance - This is a bright orange in color with a modest head. The cork came out with an unimpressive whimper and I wonder if maybe other samples may be a bit more carbonated.

Smell - The nose is a beautiful mix of rather heavy-handed hops and a grainy pale malt base. Die hard BPA fans will say that it's over-hopped, but I like the play that the big hops make on this grainy malt. The malt is not a big player in the nose but it is raw and fresh which I enjoyed.

Taste - The malts and hops play well together at the taste. You worry about a "push-pull" annoyance with sharp, divergent flavors like this but it came off nicely. The hops get to you first, probably through the smell, but then that grain is a short but powerful jab into the taste buds.

Mouthfeel - I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, the classic full and fluffy Belgian mouthfeel is completely absent, and this has always been a hallmark of my reviews of the style. Right there that would but it at a 3.0 at best. However, omitting consideration of the carbonation this mouthfeel is terrific! The hop mix offers a crescendo of bitterness that starts high, keeps going all the way through, then finishes with a snap to the mouth. The sharpness of the malts add yet another sensation, and like I said before they all work perfectly together. And you want refreshing? I can't think of a BPA I'd prefer over this one on a hot summer day.

Drinkability - This is an incredibly good-drinking beer and I'd say actually that this is its strong suite. This ale is a bit quirky for sure and definitely not one to put in a style-driven taste test, but if you want an easy-drinking light Belgian ale this Port's for you.

Devotion Ale from The Lost Abbey