Devotion Ale - The Lost Abbey

Devotion AleDevotion Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.25% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 04-28-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Devotion Ale Alström Bros
IBUnit63

Pours with pale honey/white grapefruit color with huge meringue-like head.

Notes of yeast and traditional esters dominate the aroma here-much lighter than the more hearty Belgian styles as expected.

Very wort-like and yeasty taste - still moderately refreshing.

While this is somewhat smooth it's a little unbalanced towards the yeast side with a strong alcohol presence.

This drinks clean and light-well made but not necessarily a standout.

06-03-2008 21:40:51 | More by IBUnit63
rdickey

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden orange into a tulip. Significant rocky two finger head that lasts, with significant lacing. The cork particles floating in the beer are entirely my own fault.

Smell: Tart fruitiness, with some sour apples coming through for me.

Taste: Decent fruitiness up front, with some banana; the tartiness in the nose doesn't carry through in the mouth. Grassy hop bitterness comes quickly, though, and lasts. Given the problems I had with the cork (snapped it off, had to use corkscrew), I initially considered whether it was a little skunked. Not because it was undrinkable, mind you; far from it. It just wasn't quite what I expected for a beer advertised as a Belgian pale ale from the Lost Abbey. As I drink a little more of it, though, I've concluded that the beer is in fine shape - it's just not quite what I expected.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation works for this beer.

Drinkability: I'm with Watchnerd on this one. I like it and will happily finish the bottle. Given what else is out there, however (including other Lost Abbey beers), this wouldn't be my first choice. Still, at 6.25% you can at least make a straight-faced argument that it is a session beer - for a while.

05-31-2008 01:05:21 | More by rdickey
tayner

Arizona

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

750 ml bottle

poured a blonde/honey color with big head that retained nicely and laced nicely.

Smell is a grassy, alphala hop and a slightly sweet honey/apple smell.

Taste is sort of a grassy hop flavor with some bready yeast and slight apple/honey/pear sweetness. Very understated yet impressive.

Plenty of carbonation that keeps this light but still with alot of body.

Drinkability is high on this one, and at only 6.25% it is not one that will leave you wishing it was a smaller bottle.

05-10-2008 02:36:33 | More by tayner
Atron67

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev +1%

A- poured a golden hues light copper color with a thick onset of really fine laced foam on top. the foam built up quickly and had pretty solid retention time as well. some solid lacing was left behind as well.

s- lightly malty profile with a strong grassy hops. not hoppy like an IPA but there is a strong hop profile that is mixing well with the yeasty character of the beer.

T- starts off lightly malty then turns into a more hoppy beer. light notes of grass. the finish is pretty clean with a light yeast charachter.

M- creamy actually, medium carbonation after a strong pour.

D- pretty damn good

05-03-2008 22:18:01 | More by Atron67
treehugger02010

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

I bought this single bottle at Capone's in Norristown, Pa and poured it into a snifter.
Appearance: A cloudy blond body with a white head, good sized. Solid retention leaving not much lace.
Smell: Very understated. Hints of spiced hops. Low malt aromas.
Taste: Spicy, well hoped but not to much, well balanced with the malt.
Mouthfeel: Very dry and crisp.
Drinkability: Good.
Don't drink and review.

05-02-2008 00:59:14 | More by treehugger02010
corey0212

Connecticut

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

I know we're not supposed to comment on "presentation", as it pertains to the bottle, artwork, etc...but c'mon, this thing is gorgeous to look at. Now, the beer. Pours a hazy, honey color, with a rocky white head, tons of lacing in the glass. Smells hoppy and spicy. I'm getting a ton of apple flavor out of this beer, with a crisp, dry finish. Really interesting taste, and definitely not like anything I drink regularly. I like it....don't see myself drinking a lot of this, but I'm glad I tried it, and would definitely like to try more from The Lost Abbey.

04-28-2008 00:03:32 | More by corey0212
francisweizen

Alaska

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

Wow, super solid. I love Belgian Single/Small/Pale Ale Trappist work/lunch/fast beer sorta styles and this one delivers big time!

Reminds me of the SPH trappist single, which is saying a lot! Not quite the Mckenzies TPA or Orval but with a brett addition in the secondary and a little malt/hop retooling Tomme can get it there.

Solid crisp pristin gold. Big poofy, fluffy white head of foam that leaves excellent lacing and has excellent legs and retention. Aromas of fresh baked bread, herbal metallic hops, zingey fruit zest. Taste is bready, nice biscuit hop malt. Hops are herbal, slightly metallic, and drying perfect for a berw of this style. A bit of fruit on the back palate (in the very back if you reach to the very very very back of your palate). Mouthfeel is great, zest, lively carbontion yet smooth and yeasty and perfect for the drying finish. A lot of flavor for a low abv style. One of my favorites really. Drinkability is exceptional, a great spring/summer sipper in the Belgian tradition. A great lunch brew teamed up with an artisan sandwitch as well. Really great stuff. Probably the best lost abbey year round beer.

04-03-2008 19:40:06 | More by francisweizen
watchnerd

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

750 ml bottle.

Cloudy yellow beige with pretty decent head. A few chunkies and yeasty bits.

Lemon, hops, pepper, and yeast in the nose. Much like a Belgian blonde.

Citrusy, yeasty, and bitter with a bit of hops on the tongue.

A bit watery mouthfeel, but carbonation is on the high and lively end.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin. Lots of carbonation. Somewhat dry.

Overall, I'd say, for the high standard one should hold Lost Abbey to for its rarity and price, it's just 'okay'. I'd probably take a Fin Du Monde over this most days, and I can get that easily at the local super market.

03-29-2008 04:21:08 | More by watchnerd
Trueant1

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Pours a cloudy brown/yellow. Has a white creamy head that lasts. Has some floaties. Champagne bubbles.

Smells of peppery hops, lemons and other unknown spices. Maybe even corrieander.

Tastes sweet and hoppy. Hoppy, bitter like qualities dominate. A yeast flavor in the background. Lemony grapefruits also.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin. Lots of carbonation. Somewhat dry.

A good beer, not great. I love the whole line from this brewery! This one however is good...but probably the least favorate of the Lost Abbey line.

02-26-2008 03:20:37 | More by Trueant1
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -8%

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep clear golden color ale with a nice big foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of light brett with some Saaz hops. Taste is a mix between what appears to be light brett notes with some nice Belgian-type malt a dry noble hops finish. Medium body with some good carbonation. While I enjoyed that beer I have to admit that I will stick with DDC Dernière Volonté when I feel in need of an hoppy Belgian ale.

02-21-2008 20:58:59 | More by Phyl21ca
korndog

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Strange brew here. Not what I was expecting. No nose to speak of at first whiff, but it might be a tad cold. Poured piss clear into a large Piraat snifter. Taste was a bit shocking. I guess I was expecting more roundness and yeast. Pils and hops hit me hard. Hops galore here, with grapefruit pith and other bitter notes . Warming up now, much much better. sweetness coming through, with some nice spice and soft citrus. This is definitely an American interpretation of the the style, and I like it. I can't quite categorize it in my mind yet. I strongly urge anybody tasting this beer to temper it properly. The subtle notes that show off the brewers art cannot possibly be appreciated otherwise. I'm liking this beer more and more. I want my rating to be an A-, but I can't think of what to change. Oh well.

02-20-2008 22:04:21 | More by korndog
DrDogbeer

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from bottle into delerium goblet. Nice hazy yelow / orange color. Good amout of cloudiness, can't even see through the beer. Nece 1" cream colored head with tiny bubbles. Long -lasting. Slight fruity hop aroma, maybe some spice, too. Nice, clean flavor. Little bit of malt, but balanced after with a crisp hop bitterness that does not overwhelm. good consistency and mouthfeel that makes this a very good session beer. Seems like a really nice beer to have on a warm summer day. Refreshing. Even my wife liked it. ;)

02-19-2008 13:36:34 | More by DrDogbeer
cerveza5150

This is an interesting line of beers. I like the presentation with the old school corked bottle and really cool artwork on the label.

After all I had read and heard about these "Lost Abbey" ales, this one didn't disappoint. The pour was good and the head stayed on top all the way down the glass. The color is burnt orange with a slight haze from the yeast.

The taste is good, but not quite as balanced as I thought it would be. The hops taste very fresh and green, but almost overwhelm the subtle malt, which is very interesting in that I pick up notes of figs and other fruits in both the smell and the taste. I love the strong hops anyways, as they seem to fit into what a beer from 400 years ago might taste like (didn't hops help preserve the ale??).

Overall, very drinkable. I love bottle conditioning as it seems to make the mouthfeel turn creamy, almost smoothing out the ale. I'm intrigued in these ales and will have to try all of them now.

02-16-2008 22:52:31 | More by cerveza5150
jjayjaye

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a slightly hazy bright golden color with a big stiff white head that fades slowing leaving wonderful lacing patterns. The smell is on the lighter side. Earthy Belgian yeast with a bright citrus fruit note. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated and creamy. Much lighter body than i anticipated. An easy drinker. The flavor is on the subtle side, but very good. The taste doesn't get much of a boost from the mouth. Light hoppy citrus flavor with a delicate sweet maltiness. In summary, understated with an interesting complexity. I could seriously drink this all afternoon; the ultimate compliment. Recommended.

02-03-2008 19:59:54 | More by jjayjaye
dnichols

Washington

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

I poured a 750 ml caged and corked bottle into a chalice.

A: It poured a gold yellow body with a modest off white head that dissipated to an even cover that supported limited lacing.

S: It had a grainy and yeasty aroma with a dash of white spices.

T: It had a gentle sweet creamy malt front that was quickly overwhelmed by sharp cirtrus flavors of grapefruit and lemons as well as the bite of hops. I expected a better balance between the malts, yeasts and hops....this brew favors the hops (reminiscent of an IPA more than a BPA).

M: It was medium bodied, creamy with a bitter lingering citrus bite and a bitter and sour aftertaste.

D: It is smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation, ABV and an interesting hoppy backside.

01-31-2008 03:06:04 | More by dnichols
Wasatch

Utah

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice small off-white head, basically no sticky lacing at all. The nose is malty, hoppy, very slight yeast, and some spices. The taste is slightly sweet, hoppy, some malts, bitter, slight tang, and spicy. Medium body. Drinkable, not really impressed with this brew, so far it is the least favorable I've had from Lost Abbey.

01-31-2008 01:05:17 | More by Wasatch
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +27.7%

750ml bottle served at 45 degrees and poured into a Flute Glass

A – Poured a very nice and very bright yellow tinted amber. Lots of cloudiness and haze were apparent throughout the glass and only proceeded to thicken up as the bottle got closer to the bottom, really bringing some of the yeast forward on this one. A rather large and intense three inch high head of white frothy and foamy lace then formed on the top and decided that it was going to hang around for a while, and really just did not ever fade. Even once it started too settled, it still reaches a height of almost an inch even toward the end of the session. Needless to say copious amounts of side glass lace were present and coated the entire inside of the glass throughout the entire time.

S – Wow, now I knew here I was in for a treat right away. This was such a rich, vibrant, light and fruity smell that I could not nearly contain the joy after the first whiff hit my nose. I am a big fan of Belgian Pales, and especially the ones that have he hop notes to them, and I knew right away I was going to be into something great here. Huge bouquet of light fruity yeast with hints of apples and pears, peaches all coming together and being surrounded by light grains and fresh grass. The topped was a very nice hop profile, bright floral citrus hops, not too pungent, but rather just accenting enough to really bring out everything and meld it together in an aromatic representation of rolling around in a fresh meadow. Just absolutely wonderful.

T – As if it could get any better I was then able to finally take a sip. Wow is the only word that would come to mind. This is exactly what I had been looking for. A perfect example of this style and just a testament to what Lost Abbey can really do. The flavor started out as bright as I could have imagined wit ha big wave of fruit flavors just rolling over you bringing mostly hints of apples, pineapple and pear. This evolved and started to incorporate some almost lemon like flavors with hints of grass and grain, but still staying very light and bright in the profile. As it finished up it rolled off with a very long lasting finish. Very nice and dry and bitter you could really taste the hops coming through here about five seconds after your last sip, just dragging you back, making you take another. Just great here, one of the best tastes I have had in a while.

M – Very very smooth this light bodied ale was really quite deceptive. The flavors were so big, but the body was so light that you really struggled to figure out how that packed so much into it. Very smooth and creamy, the carbonation here was excellent, never at all getting flat, even the last few sips which I let sit around for about 15 minutes were as fresh as the first. Very nice indeed.

D – Now c’mon this was just great. A light bodied well carbonated ale with a huge bright flavor profile and low abv too? How could it not be sessionable? Well it’s almost too good to be sessionable, as it is not like this is easy to get, but if I could have it on tap at my house I would in a second. I don’t really think that you could get bored of this one, even after time it just kept getting better.

Overall this was a fantastic beer from Lost Abbey. I have been slowly working my way through their lineup and to be honest this is my favorite so far. It was so right up my alley that it’s not even funny. Such a great light profile and rich flavors, I am not sure how I could have not found this one earlier. This was just simply excellent and I really need to get more of it.

01-26-2008 02:10:57 | More by mikesgroove
brentk56

Appearance: Pours a hazy apricot color with a modest head that persists, nevertheless, quite wll and leaves a nice pattern of lace on the chalice

Smell: Fruity, with plenty of apricot, apple and some citrus

Taste: At first, there is a bready flavor that becomes rather fruity by mid-palate, with apple, apricot and citrus; after the swallow, the hops make an appearance, but in a fairly subtle, but somewhat lemony fashion; the finish is rather dry

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very light and subtle; a nice beer for the summer months

01-21-2008 02:06:35 | More by brentk56
largadeer

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance - Pale amber, clear with a slight haze. Pours with roughly an inch of head; retention is reasonably good and provides a bit of spotty lace. Overall a nice looking beer.

Smell - A bit musty and dry. Strong notes of orange rind and grapefruit, with an underlying graininess.

Taste - Dry and quite bitter, but more of a fruity bitterness than a hoppy bitterness. Mild funk. Grainy and grassy flavors are present but take a back seat to the fruity bitterness. A slight tartness appears in the finish, mixing with the bitter bite to create a strong grapefruit-like bitterness. It seems like they were going for an Orval character with this beer, though it lacks both the complexity and balance of Orval. Still, not a bad beer.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied, slightly watery. Very active carbonation. Decent.

01-20-2008 05:42:13 | More by largadeer
WeisGuy

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%

Thanks to Swillinbrew for this bottle via Secret Santa BIF '07

a - pours a hazy deep golden color with lots of sediment, big white head with great lacing and retention

s - quite spicy and malty with a good deal of citrus, lots of lemon and orange, not much by way of alcohol, some graininess, definitely the high point of this beer

t - lemon and malty graininess dominate the taste, not a whole lot else, slight citrus lingering on the finish, actually pretty disappointing in its lack of depth and intensity

m - lots of carbonation, very active in the mouth, light-bodied

d - fairly drinkable, but does not keep my interest very long

The aroma was definitely the best part of this beer for me, and the appearance was pretty good as well. The taste was disappointing in that I have high expectation for Lost Abbey. I'll give this a pass and opt for the Red Barn instead.

01-18-2008 03:35:47 | More by WeisGuy
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Club brewday alcoholfest extravaganza, DrJay brought this one up from Philly!

Pours a cloudy golden/amber, nice and hazed up, thin white head forms, leaves some nice lacing, solid ring. Smell is hay, spices, grass, honey and sugar, citrus, floral, wheat, very nice. Taste is wheat, spices, citrus kick through the middle, a little bit of tartness, lemony, floral, walnuts, spicy dry finish, light alcohol. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, very refreshing. Great beer, would be perfect for summer. Thanks Jay!

01-06-2008 16:45:20 | More by Viggo
RblWthACoz

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a foggy golden brown with minimal head. Nose is earthy and almost like a raw sugar. Nice level of smooth funk there. Flavor is nice and consistent. Nothing showy or strange, but mature in it’s profile and completely even. Feel is smooth with a higher level of carbonation. This is a very good Belgian ale. If you have the chance to try it, I think you should.

01-01-2008 06:35:32 | More by RblWthACoz
Dukeofearl

3.9/5  rDev +1%

750 ml bottle from hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa, Ca, in December 2007.

Pours a fairly deep golden-amber (for the style) that shows a rich malt profile. Not much head or carbonation.

Aroma reminds us of the malt bill, but hey, it smells like an American fresh-hop ale, not a Belgian Pale. To be honest, doesn't remind me of a Belgian Pale Ale at all. What gives?

But having said that, it's still a pretty tasty ale. Malt provides a good backbone, but this beer isn't about the malt, it's about prominant hops. Good solid hop profile like it's one of the better American Pale ales.

I enjoyed this, but to be honest, it wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe it would have been better to save it for another day.

01-01-2008 02:37:00 | More by Dukeofearl
rxdrewthejew

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

A: A hazy red/yellow/orange. Some areas are darker while others are lighter. Really quite a nice color on this one. A puffy two finger head quickly dissipates leaving some thin film.

S: Mild spice and mild frutiness with a fruity/floral sweetness. A bit of warmth to the scent and a tiny bit of funk.

T: Not too much going on with the flavor. A very very sublte spicy/sweet start with hints of peach and peer but hops quickly come out and dominate the rest of the taste. Grassy hops. Finishes with another slight sweet honeylike burst.

MF: Thin but smooth. Some carbonation bite to go along with the hops.

D: Just not enough Belgian in here for my tastes. This is a solid pale ale. In fact, I'd drink this over a lot of American Pale Ales. I think it would be good in the summer. I dunno though, I've come to expect more from this brewery.

It did seem that the flavor got a bit better as the beer went along, but still pretty mild overall. A good get but nothing I'd go out of my way to find.

12-29-2007 03:10:06 | More by rxdrewthejew
meatyard

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

The appearance is a hazy golden with a lot of carbonation. The head is white and short falling to a covering and light lacing.
The smell is of yeast and a tangy citrus with a little pepper.
The taste is more pepper, citrus & bread.
Mouthfeel is a pleasant medium body.
Drinkability is good.

This is a very nice, pleasant tasing, easy drinking beer. It's good, not great. I think I was hoping for more but I'm not upset.

12-18-2007 19:54:21 | More by meatyard