2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

10 Commandments - The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 05-08-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 10 Commandments Alström Bros
Ratings: 674 | Reviews: 344 | Show All Ratings:
CoverMePorkins

Germany

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle on 18 April 2014

Bear with me as this is my first written review.

A- Deep red hues, mahogany up to the light. Mix of bubbles big and tight with average lacing.

S- Rasins, figs more raisins and figs. Just a dark fruit explosion.

T- The rasins, figs and honey flavor really stand out on this beer. I can't pick up on the Rosemary but I have been sitting on this beer for about a year so it may have faded. Considering the sweetness of it the carbonation dries out the finish some. Overall a sweet beer for the taste.

O- A damn nice beer. I am glad I gave it some time as I couldn't taste any alcohol at 10%. Depending on your pallet it may be too sweet, but I like the style along with hop bombs.

04-18-2014 15:32:12 | More by CoverMePorkins
i4ourgot

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark coffee colored with red hues in it and a tan head. Fruity aroma i was getting cherry/ plum/ raisin. Same fruity start that transitions quickly to some hot alcohol notes.
The alcohol is almost drying on the tongue giving the beer a drier finish than most beers this dark. Its kinda weird but after a few sips the alcohol notes kinda dissipate and the malts come forward a little more as well as that Belgian yeast kinda flavor. I could even pick up some notes of chocolate/ coffee but its very faint. I think I would enjoy a little more intense coffee/ chocolate flavor from this beer ( a little but not a lot). There is suppose to be rosemary but I could not pick that up.

03-29-2014 00:20:13 | More by i4ourgot
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.79/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml Bottle from the Palm Desert CA Total Wine for $12

Appearance – Brown colour with an above average size fizzy beige coloured head. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell – Malts, grapes/raisins, plums, herbal notes

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, and some yeast. There is also some honey, dark fruit, and a anise/herbal/molasses like flavour.

Overall – A good beer but a little too herbal and sweet for me. Another fine beer from this brewer though, I just would buy something different next time.

02-27-2014 03:43:51 | More by spinrsx
vfgccp

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottle, opened Feb 2014

A - Great looking beer. Deep mahogany body with pomegranet highlights. Khaki head has mixed bubbles, nice retention and ok lace.

S - Nice nose too. Milk chocolate, molasses, gingerbread, star anise, nutmeg, toasted coriander, light coffee, barley, oaky booze and caramel.

T - Complex and surprising. Raisin, caramel cordial, anise, gingerbread, thyme, pink peppercorns, molasses, pumpernickel bread.

M - Medium body. Nice dry, spicy finish.

O - Not a winter warmer, but this is what I wish all winter warmers tasted like. Complex, warm, smooth, and delicious.

02-23-2014 01:34:05 | More by vfgccp
PeterParker

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours amber brown with half a finger of head. Tight bubbles around the edges.

Smells like cherry bourbon, very sweet. Plums.

Booze hits first, but dissipates. Transforms into a medley of cherry and malts. Belgian yeast is present followed by a warming of alcohol. Not exactly what I expected.

Full and bubbly, slick and creamy. Warm from the alcohol.

Overall, not the best Belgian strong I've had. That being said it is not at all bad.

02-12-2014 00:11:15 | More by PeterParker
Nugganooch

4.11/5  rDev +4.6%

750ml C&C bottle – 2013
Notes from 01/12/14 - Served in a Chimay chalice glass

A: Rusted brown look with swirls of hazy yeast and some plumy tones. Thick layer of stubborn khaki sponge cake over top. Scattered bits of lace and stick adhere to the sides of the glass. Looks pretty sweet. The chalice was a good choice.

S: Raisin bread pudding with caramelized figs. Sweet and bready with a pinch of vanilla spice and some garden herbs mixed in. The aroma is mostly sweet with some noticeable alcohol. Pleasant with the malt and special add ins here.

T: Caramel malts with raisin spice bread, fig, and soft herbs. Has that Dark Belgium candi sweetness with a touch of peppery spice and some light citrus zest underneath. Not particularly stand out with the Rosemary. Nice vanilla cream likeness at times with a relatively low but effective bitterness to the beer. Alcohol is noticeable yet well incorporated and there is a mild metallic tinge at the finish. Not your traditional Belgian but pretty well rounded with the flavors and very enjoyable

M: Thick and lightly syrupy with a soft chew. Incredibly lifting from the active carb giving a fluffed cream texture. Low perceived bitterness and some warming alcohol. Touch of drying there at the finish. Sticky with a light drag across the palate.

D: This beer deserves more credit. It is fairly big and sweet with nice malt complexity however balanced by a light bitterness, lush mouth feel, and some interesting favors. I didn’t find this to be over spiced at all. Very delectable in fact. Will seek this one out again.

01-23-2014 19:59:11 | More by Nugganooch
BierJager89

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Purplish, almost black, with a short brown head.

S: Honey, herbs, raisin, dark fruit, apple and orange in the nose.

T: Honey, citrus, a touch grassy, earthy, herbal notes.

M: Quite carbonated, but not harsh, except for the alcohol, which is noticeable, but not too strong. Full bodied, yet in a way foamy.

O: Definitely worth a try. I'd love to try the barrel aged version.

01-18-2014 17:04:38 | More by BierJager89
superspak

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, 2013 vintage. Pours hazy nearly opaque dark brown color with a 2 finger fairly dense khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big raisin, prune, fig, apple, pear, caramel, toffee, molasses, toast, biscuit, honey, coriander, clove, pepper, herbal, dark bread, light roast, light banana, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of malt, yeast, and spice notes; with big strength. Taste of big raisin, prune, fig, pear, apple, caramel, molasses, toast, biscuit, honey, dark bread, light roast, coriander, clove, pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of raisin, prune, fig, pear, apple, caramel, molasses, toast, dark bread, light roast, clove, pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice balance and complexity of dark malt, yeast ester, and spice flavors; with a great malt/yeast flavor balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and fairly full bodied; with a moderately slick and slightly syrupy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a small warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent Belgian strong dark ale. All around great balance and complexity of dark malt, spice, and yeast ester flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

01-13-2014 00:34:43 | More by superspak
gshak

4.48/5  rDev +14%

2012 vintage served at refrigerator temperature from a 750ml into a dollar-store chalice.

A - Not much of an appearance really, but that's also because I poured it extra carefully along the sides of the glass...not the beer's fault. 4/5

S - Hmm...such a delicate aroma of - clove, coriander, fresh-squeezed orange peel, some lemony zest, and a ever so slight herbal spiciness possibly from the rosemary. Substantial presence of raisin. Yeastiness is quite prominent in the aroma - you know this is a belgian ale! A very interesting take on a belgian dark ale. I likes it 4.5/5

T - Loads of raisins and dark fruits upfront. There is also a very noticeable brown sugar sweetness that I am likening to liquid jaggery. The sweetness coats the mouth while the delicate rosemary, coriander and orange peel hold forte in the middle of the tongue, providing the only counter-balance to what would otherwise be an assault of liquid sweetness. Carbonation is lively on the palate, opening up all the different flavors of the beer. Finishes dry with slight herbal bitterness, and indications of burnt raisins. Very beautifully done Mr. Arthur. 4.5/5

M - While it is not full-on heavy on the palate, it is substantially heavier than medium. I'll make this a 4.5/5.

O - A very interesting take on a well-established style. I am glad I picked up this bottle and aged it for more than a year. Certainly worth a pour or two when the occasion is right. 4.5/5

01-09-2014 01:04:48 | More by gshak
DoubleJ

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at 38 Degrees in Alhambra, 2012 version. On to the beer:

The base of 10 Commandments is a good Belgian Strong Dark Ale, but the twist here is there appears to be a potent spiciness to it, which to me tasted like ginger. Luckily, the base is strong enough to mitigate some of the spice and keep as an enjoyable beer to drink with a meal. Expect a profile of prunes, ginger, figs, and a kiss of liquor, with the addition of a dark bodied beer with good head retention, a fun smell, and a beer that's a little different flavor-wise per style.

12-06-2013 23:43:18 | More by DoubleJ
devlishdamsel

Washington

1.86/5  rDev -52.7%

appearance: nice rich brown opaque color, correct for the style.
smell: stale diet coke?? this was so strong i wasn't able to isolate any other scents..
taste: my palate was overwhelmed by the unholy trinity of sour, alcohol and bitter. I was not able to even try and pick out any distinguishing flavors..
mouthfeel: probably about the right amount of viscosity and carbonation for the style
overall: perhaps i should try this again??? Maybe i had a bad representation of this beer??

11-04-2013 18:56:27 | More by devlishdamsel
DmanGTR

4.59/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured deep mahogany with maple hues in the light. Off white cap that took a while to diminish. Brilliant glimmer when held up to the light. Figs, dates, raisins come to mind in the nose. Large bouquet of anise, spice, and cocoa, along with fainter crystal malts. The flavor is of blends of caramel, toffee, and malt, with a raisiny, black currant overtone. A bit of dark honey towards the finish. Not cloying at all, but very nicely balanced with the spiciness, sweetness, and fruit. The texture is smooth and adds to the complexity of the beer. Perfect carbonation. I will obtain this beer whenever I see it.

10-11-2013 04:12:25 | More by DmanGTR
BEERchitect

Kentucky

Incredible power, strength and complexity ooze from the chalice as this Belgian-style Strong Dark ale offers up new aromas and flavors with each return to the glass and as it warms. Not for the faint of heart- this beer is designed for the Belgian beer connoisseur in mind. I'm not sure if this would be a beer to inspire a new set of 10 Commandments by Moses, but in the study of him, I'm sure the Trappist monks dig it!

10 Commandments opens with a deep burgundy-brown hue. Deep garnet low-lights and an overall hazy demeanor keeps the beer looking masculine, yet regal. It helps that a highly creamy and frothy head caps the beer with a slight tarnish ivory stain. Its long-lasting retention creeps up the glass with sticky islands of lace that intricately decorate the glass.

Intense aromas evoke a suggestion of power and starts with raisin and maple. Its candied scent is somewhat of confectioner's candy stores even as the high notes of spiced rum waft about. Not backing off of the booze, its sweet candy aromas are biscuity, sherry-like and toasty. Even with the raisin additions, the scents of other fruits compound the beer's nose: dates, figs, licorice, currant and dark berries all fuel the overall winey scent.

Heavy handed in its malt-forward attitude, the taste seems like grandma's hard candies, but fused with sorghum and horehound candy. That spicy root beer-ish taste reels in a balance of peppercorn, cinnamon and vinous-type spice- all leading to a taste of fruit wine before that of rum. All the while those dark, dried and pitted fruits edge closer and closer to port and sherry. As the taste concludes, it lingers rather indefinately into the next visit to the glass- making it a sipping and savoring beer.

Full bodied without doubt.... there should be doubt as these Belgian ales are normally built to create a conflict of malty-dry and semi-sweet character. But this one is full and sticky from start to finish. Even its hop bitterness, high alcohol presence, and peppery phenols does little to combat the residual sugars. Its malty-sweet finish is pleasantly hot with an aura of lavender that haunts the session throughout.

There's little doubt that this is a world class Belgian-style "Quad" in the making. But the problem in that it isn't there yet. This 2-year vintage isn't enough. I wouldn't hesitate to cellar this beer for at least five years in order to let the beer dry out a bit more, for the alcohols to degrade and for the smooth vinous tones to grow.

10-10-2013 04:16:06 | More by BEERchitect
Parrotshake

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a hazy brown with a big properly tan head. Smells like rum-raisin ice cream and Christmas cake and a ton of booze.

Herbaceous and boozy at the beginning, slow burning and thick with rosemary. Brown sugar and raisins and Oloroso sherry. Sweet and yeasty. Probably a bit much.

With a few years of age this will probably be a masterpiece. At the moment it's quite nice but a bit of a sweet, hot mess.

09-25-2013 06:49:39 | More by Parrotshake
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This might be the last beer we review before we leave for China. I doubt the beers we find in China are worth reviewing. But I could be wrong. I hope to find some good beers while we are there. I also hope to try some tea, as tea is not my drink of choice, but is customary with most, if not all meals in China. I also have been reading about some really nice liquors that they have there. Someone at work said I should order Sake. Um… I am going to China. Not Japan!

I have seen this beer before, but have never tried it. This is another beer from my boy Erick. We liked the Angel's Trumpet we reviewed last night so much we decided to try another beer from The Lost Abbey tonight. This beer has pretty good ratings on both BeerAdvocate and RateBeer, so I am expecting a lot. They do use Brett in the brewing process, which scares me a little. But I am getting there. Thanks, Tim!

Can anyone tell me what the 10 Commandments are? I just hope drink good beer is one of them. Cheers!

In the Glass: I can smell the sweetness from the raisins as I pour this beer. Or should I say, "As I pour this foam." I am talking straight foam. Granted, I didn't tilt the glass, but the glass filled with foam as soon as I started pouring it. Then the foam just sat there and pretty much solidified. I need a spoon. I am serious… It's like ice cream! The lace is nice and sticky, too.

Nose: I can smell the Brett, but it's not overwhelming. There is also a nice sweetness coming from the raisins and the honey they use. I wonder if the honey will be noticeable outside of just knowing they used honey in the brewing process. I would like to see that brewing process, too. Are they tossing that in at the end and how are they making sure the honey doesn't affect the consistency of the beer? I guess that is why I am not a brewmaster!

Oh, and I know this has NOTHING to do with 10 Commandments, but Four Peaks is going to start canning their Peach Ale. If you have never had the Peach Ale, you are missing out. I will be tossing a can of this in with ALL trades moving forward. When Erick was in town we took him to Four Peaks. Not sure if he had a Peach Ale, but I bet I made him try the Kilt Lifter!

Flavor: The Brett in this beer really changes my expectations for a Belgian dark strong ale. Most beers in this style are big, thick, and chewy offering a whirlwind of sweetness and complexity. I am worries this one will be highly carbonated. Let's see.

It's not overly carbonated, but the Brett changes the beer. This is not a good example of the style, but it is a really good easy to drink beer. At 10%, I would like to see what this beer tastes like in 2 or 3 years. If the bubbles mellow out, I bet the sweetness would begin to take over.

Mouthfeel: Cold, the beer is quite carbonated. It looks that way in the glass, but I was hoping for a surprise. That isn't a bad thing, but I don't like this style to be too bubbly. I did swish a sip around in my mouth a little, and the bubbles just took over. That did, however, provide me a lot more sweetness and really bring the raisin flavor forward. If you like a nice fresh raisin flavor, then you will love this beer. I bet that sweetness comes out as the beer warms up.

Aftertaste: You get a lot of the same flavors in the aftertaste, but they don't last long. I keep licking my lips for more of that sweetness I crave in a Belgian dark strong, but the finish is nothing to write home about. I do find it interesting that this beer technically started as a home brew. Oh, and props to the state of Arizona. I had no idea that Tomme went to school here. We have pretty sunsets, the Grand Canyon, and Tomme Arthur!

The beer is good, but I wouldn't buy it again. The Brett isn't what is throwing me off, either. I just had a certain level of expectations going in as this is one of my favorite styles. Drinking this makes me want to review another beer now!

08-28-2013 03:19:41 | More by rickyleepotts
Dowlers

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On draft at Raglan Public House

A- black semi opaque to dark ruby red. Good initial head that quickly settles. Lots of carbonation.
S- Sweet fruity with hints of the underlying booze
T-wow This one has some stuff going on. The dark fruits and honey jump out initially but it finishes dryer and boozier than expected. A delicious dry boozy aftertaste....where did the honey go? Don't notice the lavender at all.
O-Winner winner chicken dinner. Have bought 3 bottles to try to age because I really want to see what a year of aging does to the booze in the after taste but don't see them getting anywhere near a year.

08-24-2013 01:41:32 | More by Dowlers
JeffBrenner

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Pours very dark, I would say a very dark brown with no light penetration. Pours with a surprisingly intense head, but minimal carbonation thereafter. A small amount of lacing. Smells sweet, maybe dates and figs. Tastes wonderful. The honey is really well balanced. A sour note with figs and dates hits you a few seconds later, but sweet up front. Very smooth. The sweetness really covers the 10% ABV. All the flavors come together really well with this. I will definitely be buying more in the future and would love to see what aging does to this.

08-18-2013 19:25:07 | More by JeffBrenner
pkalix

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

mine is a black pour, little head. not terribly impressive.
a bit of a chalky smell, like a stout, but fruity too.
wine-y, fruit-y right off the first sip. some bitter that belongs to the high abv rather than any hops I can distinguish. I can taste the raisins they are talking about on the website and some other dark fruit. it's thicker than most brews. getting some cinnamon, nutmeg. allspice. I think 'booze-soaked raisins' as someone else put it is a really great explanation.
overall? maybe I was looking for something lighter this evening. I knew what it was before I opened it. I suppose it has its place and maybe it wasn't with me tonight. it was okay but did not overwhelm me. if i'm sipping it, it's okay, but there is the alcohol bite that keeps coming up in the flavor.

08-03-2013 02:51:19 | More by pkalix
puboflyons

New Hampshire

4.51/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From the corked, caged bottle - 2012 vintage. Sampled on July 11, 2013.

It is so handsome to look at in the glass with its near black-ruby red tones and lingering, silky tan head.

The aroma blows me away I have to say. It explodes with dark fruits like plum or red grape along with rosemary, yeast, black licorice, allspice, and brown sugar to taper things off.

The body is medium to bold but there is a slight acidic thing going on.

The flavor is just as vibrant as the aroma with dark fruits and spices but a linger post-bitterness that almost feels a tad boozy but a bit less pungent. I can see why the Bros call this outstanding.

07-12-2013 00:06:30 | More by puboflyons
Alieniloquium

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep ruby brown body with a big khaki head. Thin surface foam.

Smell - Very spicy. Rosemary is evident. Dark fruit. A little cinnamon. Brown sugar.

Taste - Lots of caramel and brown sugar right up front, but it drops off quickly. Raisins and dark fruits. Spicy and dry. Rosemary is strong again. Cinnamon spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, nicely dried out. Highly carbonated.

Overall - Like a Christmas ale in its spice component. Kinda overpowers the beer.

07-04-2013 21:16:54 | More by Alieniloquium
BeerForMuscle

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Molasses colored body, amber hues. One finger tan head.

S - Rosemary, malted muffins, boozy raisins. Light citrus or candied citrus. Alcohol, mild spices.

T - Complex, and delicious. Citrus, herbal, booze soaked raisins. Candied fruits, black pepper, bready goodness. Definite Rosemary note, subtle licorice/citron.

M - Warming, smooth. Abv warms and evaporates in the mouth, the carbonation is medium and stays out of the way.

O - A pleasant BSDA, with a nice twist from the Rosemary. Nice take on the style, the high alcohol isn't annoying but you could definitely age this one for a year or more I'd imagine.

07-03-2013 02:07:18 | More by BeerForMuscle
GuinnessAtRogerWilco

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

750ml bottle poured into a Chimay goblet.

AP: Near black in colour, but with some colourful purplish hues like a really dark eggplant. Fluffy off white and light tan head of 1" that takes a while to dwindle down to 1/4". Decent lacing when the glass is tilted.
AR: Dark fruits (raisin and fig), brown sugar, toffee, molasses.
T: Tastes like it smells, sugary sweetness that is toned down by the high ABV and yes, there is some heat on this one. Fruits have a rum soaked aspect to them.
M: Decent carbonation for a BSDA, moderate body (not too heavy), bit of a crispness on the finish though the sweetness does coat your mouth a bit.
OV: Good sweet flavours, though you can taste the booziness of this one. I think some cellaring would benefit this beer. Didn't get any spices on this which I think it needs to balance the sweetness. A solid brew, but not World class.

06-15-2013 06:06:29 | More by GuinnessAtRogerWilco
ngeunit1

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Dark black with a finger of frothy tan-khaki head. Fades fairly slowly.

S - Dark caramel malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, clove, pepper, raisins, plums, and other dark fruits, honey, dark candi sugar, rosemary, and some booze.

T - Sweet dark caramel malts, plums, raisins, and other dark fruits, honey, dark candi sugars, Belgian yeast, coriander, clove, pepper, rosemary, and some booze.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a sweet, warming finish.

D - Great BSDA. Nice balance and complexity.

05-04-2013 07:51:54 | More by ngeunit1
looseteeth

25.9 oz bottle, corked and wired. Poured passively towards the belly of a Duvel tulip, leaving a couple foamy fingers of toffee-colored head. Looks a formidable mahogany though when held to light there is some deep ruby transparency. The nose first hits me as very cherry-tart, almost like Fun Dip, including a hit of vanilla much like those candied dip sticks included. Yeah, I think I need some Fun Dip too. Ahem. Anyhow, the gamut of taste runs in three stages: the first is instantly dried, sticky-sweet old fruit like figs, raisins of course, dried cranberries and cherries, followed swiftly by dry char and weathered oak, straight into boozy heat. The 10% abv here is present though with some age I imagine that would be tempered - though the heat doesn't particularly hamper my drinking experience here. Mouthfeel is intermediate in viscosity, cloudy and yeasty in texture as this is a dark Belgian farmhouse stylee conditioned with Brett. Overall, I will absolutely drink this again and will double up for next year's batch as I'd like to explore 10 Commandments cellaring potential. I recommend this brew.

03-15-2013 04:14:28 | More by looseteeth
nova009

Kentucky

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a corked and caged bomber into a Chimay Chalice

A- pours a deep dark mahogany, slight red tints along the edges when held to light, the pour produces an approx one finger khaki head that very slowly reduces to a covering, nice lace left around the glass

S- deep rich nose, burnt sugar, molases, dark fruits like plumbs and figs, raisins, alcohol is noticable as well, slightly herbal as well which I assume comes from the rosemary

T- the dark fruits hit the palate first, figs and raisins dominate the fruit flavors, the candi sugar sweetness transitions into a burnt sugar flavor in the middle of the sip, just like the nose the alcohol is noticable in the end, taste is slightly overwhelming but pretty on the mark for the style

M- heavy body, medium carbonation, the flavors coat the palate entirely, noticable alcohol burn on the finish

O- overall this is a solid belgian strong dark, curious to know how this one would age, solid beer, I'd buy again if I was in the mood for this style

02-03-2013 02:05:22 | More by nova009