1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

10 Commandments - The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 05-08-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 10 Commandments Alström Bros
Ratings: 671 | Reviews: 343 | Show All Ratings:
hwwty4

Missouri

1.25/5  rDev -68.2%

I bought this beer in Denver right after GABF 08, aged until then in appropriate conditions.

I poured this corked and caged 750 into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice and had huge expectations. When the cork easily slid out with just a bit of an accompanying pop, I thought to myself, well it wont be over carbonated, that's for sure. When I poured the beer it poured a dark molasses brown with just an inkling of a tan head, leaving no lacing whatsoever. The aroma is not good. Huge herbal notes over power any semblance of a nose. Rosemary and really what reminds me of Everclear. The flavor of this beer is probably the biggest train wreck of flavors I have ever experienced. Rosemary/herbal flavors dominate, fusel alcohols, molasses, and a cloying raisiny sweetness that lingers right behind the rosemary. The mouthfeel is light with very low levels of carbonation. I honestly can't see how someone can finish this beer. Looking back at others reviews, it makes me wonder if there is that much fluctuation between batches. I've gotten through about 5oz's and the rest is going down the drain. This beer isn't infected, no problem with introduced flavors. I feel like I need to scrub my tongue with Listerine to get the taste off.

As a note, this is my first Lost Abbey beer that I found worse then good. That means it deserves a second chance and I will update my review when I re-review it.

02-18-2009 03:41:57 | More by hwwty4
AndoBrew

Georgia

1.3/5  rDev -66.9%

edit:I was told buy a trusted pal, that when he had this beer fresh it was very yummy. He and I tend to rate with similar scores. I am going to attempt to try this beer again, but leave this review for now. seeing as how the sample I had not gone bad in any infection sort of way. It just may not age well.:

*i hated it and would never buy it*

app: brown garnet. thin lookin, looks fine not amazing.

smells: BAD, menthol, minty herby plants. some malts hide back there.

taste: it is not good at all, it is way way spiced, its not good spiced. way over the top.

mf: fine.

drinkable?: no, it is hard and painful to drink!

01-13-2008 03:33:39 | More by AndoBrew
devlishdamsel

Washington

1.86/5  rDev -52.7%

appearance: nice rich brown opaque color, correct for the style.
smell: stale diet coke?? this was so strong i wasn't able to isolate any other scents..
taste: my palate was overwhelmed by the unholy trinity of sour, alcohol and bitter. I was not able to even try and pick out any distinguishing flavors..
mouthfeel: probably about the right amount of viscosity and carbonation for the style
overall: perhaps i should try this again??? Maybe i had a bad representation of this beer??

11-04-2013 18:56:27 | More by devlishdamsel
sessycuban

1.9/5  rDev -51.7%

A - The beer pours a cola color. No carbonation to speak of, and thus no head.

S - Strong rosemary aroma, faint raison. Very malty nose.

T - The rosemary is in overdrive. No honey to speak of. The raison, much like the nose, is very faint. This beer tastes almost exactly like Cuvee van de Kaiser.

M - Somewhat syrupy, hot, uncarbonated. Awful.

D - This beer is undrinkable. It seems like it was released way too early, or the bottle conditioning was just done poorly. Avoid.

10-19-2008 02:27:12 | More by sessycuban
jojox

2.2/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Drank this last night, no notes. I thought it was rather complex and interesting tastes, but frankly, nasty. It resembled sweat/BO, and urine. The rosemary was somewhat interesting, the flavor mostly malt balanced, and the appearance dark and okay, but the flavor just didn't appeal to me whatsoever.

10-19-2008 22:06:31 | More by jojox
chefdaddy18042

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

below average. The combination of raisins, honey, and rosemary just did not convince me that this is a worthy beer. I tried it regardless with four other co-workers and the general unanimous vote was negative. no sense of rosemary, overly raisin, and the honey only draws sweetness to this beer. I was not impressed by this beer at all, an overrated ale that was just disappointing.

11-19-2008 06:08:00 | More by chefdaddy18042
navethechimp

2.33/5  rDev -40.7%

2008 vintage - 750ml corked and caged poured into some Duvel tulips. Stored upright at cellar temperature.

Not being a huge fan of Lost Abbey, I was excited to try one of their beers that I felt would benefit greatly from age, perhaps becoming on par with their few gems.

On a nice summer evening, I pulled the cork of the bottle to not even the slightest pop. It poured completely still. The deep ruby, almost black would have been nice, but the absolute lack of head made it look more like oil than beer. At four years a beer like this should be at it's prime... hell, why even cork the beer if it's not going to have carbonation? Sigh... Lost Abbey.

The aroma revealed some pleasant oxidation that is appropriate for its age, and it sat well with the deep and complex malt aroma. Taste followed. Enjoyable, sure, but nothing to write home about.

It was a bit too sweet/cloying for the style. Sure, the absolute lack of carbonation accentuated the stickiness, but I was certain that it didn't attenuate well enough. Lack of CO2 meant a hydrometer reading would be valid--1.024. Gah, that's about twice the residual sweetness that I'd want in a spiced Belgian-style ale! The bottle lists it as 9% ABV, which leads me to assume that the new 10% bottles may have better attenuation?

Anyway, I was going to drain pour it, but instead mixed the second half with a Maudite from Unibroue, and then went out into our spa and got drunk. Kickass blend.

06-12-2012 00:57:32 | More by navethechimp
tr4nc3d

Kansas

2.58/5  rDev -34.4%

Thanks goes out to "masterhomebrewer" for this one.

Poured this into a tulip.

Pours a dark brown/caramel like color with a three finger off white head that leaves a layer of creaminess on top. Sticky lacing is left on my glass.

Smells of belgian candy sugar, honey, raisins, rosemary(just like the bottle says) and other spices. Definitely smells interesting.

Definitely taste the rosemary which they used to much of with some hints of honey, raisins, figs, and a dark candy sugar sweetness. The rosemary is the main thing you can taste in the beer which is a bad thing for me.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy with very low carbonation. The rosemary leaves a kinda unpleasant aftertaste.

I would not have more then one of these and had to force myself to down the bottle. If they toned down the rosemary or not put it in at all this would be a really good brew.

Im definitely dissapointed with this.

04-10-2009 23:56:10 | More by tr4nc3d
Philousa

2.6/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Imbibed at the Lost Abbey tap room on 12/31/2011.

Looks like a freshly brewed Americano coffee with irregularly bubbled head, indicating the active Belgian yeast, which clings to the glass for dear life before it pops to nearly nothing. Left some lacing with the first few drinks. Licorice, raisins, and sweet dates make up the bulk of the aroma. There is some faint dark Belgian malt. Most of the aroma is faint with this beer. Bitter licorice and dark fruit flavors. Some date and bitter chocolate round it out. A very murky, thick beer with a dry finish.

To be honest, this didn't come across well as a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I didn't get too many dark fruit flavors and they were weak when I identified them. The black licorice was too prevalent for this licorice hater. I had high hopes, so maybe that's why I feel let down by this brew. Maybe I'm just putting to much stock into the Belgian Strong Dark Ale description, or maybe I need to just read the label before ordering a sample. I'd like to see them make this their own by giving it a distinct flavor that separates it from the pack.

01-03-2012 02:51:22 | More by Philousa
brdc

Wisconsin

2.65/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Large corked bottle, poured into a goblet. 2008 version.

Again, a quite disappointing pop accompanies the cork opening. Quite dark, but still has a few dark red highlights. Small tan head, little retention or lacing.
Aroma is strange, to say the least. Candy sugar, dark fruits are there, but rosemary is way too obvious.
The full body could definitely use more carbonation, as it seems to be a theme with a lot of Lost Abbey beers. If also has a strange taste, and flavors, which are abundant, do not blend all that well. It is too sweet at times, and then the excessive amount of rosemary (not sure if there is a right aount) makes it spicy, but unpleasantly so. It is quite strange, but it feels like somebody dropped a flat can of coke in a belgian strong dark, and then added rosemary.
Unfortunately, I do not seem to appreciate most of these Lost Abbey experiments. Another miss, in my opinion, immensely inferior to the style classics.

12-28-2008 01:40:24 | More by brdc
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.65/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours looking like the usual abt/quad/bsda style, heavy on the brown, thin on the head. Aroma of alcohol, prunes and raisins.

Some brown sugar thrown in to hopefully drown out the bitter dark fruit and pungent alcohol. Helped with the bitter fruit, but not so much with the heavy sting of alcohol. Toffee seems to be represented heavily as well. I just can't get over the high bitter, high alcohol vibe of this. Its like they blended a quad and a 40 of malt liquor at some times.

I love some of the Lost Abbey stuff, but this beer is just a big disappointment to me, it didn't really do anything well, other than maybe look nice. Don't judge a book by its cover. . . the cover might be substantially better than what is inside.

12-12-2011 22:43:53 | More by Beerandraiderfan
klewis

2.78/5  rDev -29.3%

Thanks to weeare138 for this one.

A: Pours a dark garnet color with a modest foamy head. Moderate lacing.

S: Aromas of raisins black cherries with a subtle spicy character and a hint of alcohol.

T: Spicy christmas ale sort of taste with an astringent cardboardy flavor and a strong boozy kick.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Finishes quite dry.

D: I'm quite disapointed. This one either lacks depth in flavor, or the alcohol is covering it all up. Perhpas this one will improve with age, but right now, it's pretty difficult to drink.

11-16-2007 03:52:13 | More by klewis
ibbjamin

2.83/5  rDev -28%

Paid $13.99 for a 750ml bottle from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco. I have had one other bottle of this and noted that I enjoyed it but did not review at that time. I pour into a large snifter to review. This is the 2009 vintage.

Head is rather frothy for a Belgian and just over an inch in height. Head is beige in color and retains well. Beer is black and leaves behind nice sheets of lace.

Aroma is rather mild of dark fruits and roasted malts.

Taste is much more stout-like than Belgian-like. Dark roasted malts dominate.

The mouthfeel puts this more into the Belgian category. Rather carbonated yet still very thick and full bodied. Prickly smoothness in the mouth.

I'm not sure why I was impressed by this beer the first time around. It seems like a Belgian Stout if anything and a mediocre example at that. Needs to be bigger in flavor for its high ABV.

03-04-2010 03:05:50 | More by ibbjamin
Jules11788

2.83/5  rDev -28%

A: Pours a cloudy dark brown that barely lets any light through; fat 3 finger-width head, sticky lacing

S: Floral winter spices -- nutmeg, rosemary, sweet flowers

T: Wheaty, slightly funky tartness; tastes of flowers with a small hint of rosemary; not much honey, little bit of raisins; finishes with a sharp boozy bitterness.

M: Medium-light viscosity, medium carbonation, tingly on the tongue, decent helping of booziness

O: I don't know what it is but this beer just had a really weird nasty flavor to it that lingered after each sip. It was sort of a nasty Steel Reserve/Mickey's kind of boozy/chemically flavor, and it became more evident the more I drank. Don't think I'll ever buy this again, especially at the exorbitant price of $13.99 for a 750ml bottle

11-22-2011 21:55:52 | More by Jules11788
wvsabbath

West Virginia

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Dark black, no head, no carbination

Smell - Dark fruits, malts, sugar. Plums, rasins

Taste - Bold flat and bitter. Reminded me of a wine. Plum and rasin mixed with malts. Alcohol was very well masked.

Mouthfeel - Bittered whole mouth up. After taste was thick and bold.

Drinkabilty - Split bottle with 5 people, no one wanted to finish there glass. Im not a wine fan and this really tasted like a table wine. Not for me.

02-22-2011 05:11:20 | More by wvsabbath
waltonc

Colorado

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

Appearance: Dark brown with reddish hues around the edges of my glass. No head at all.

Smell: As advertised, lots of raisin in the smell.

Taste: Hmmm, I'm a little ambivalent on the taste. I tend to appreciate thicker beers with dark fruit and raisin flavors, but the rosemary is a little off-putting to me. The flavor is somewhat medicinal. All that combined with the sweet syrupy mouthfeel is cloying.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy. I'd personally prefer more carbonation.

Drinkability: Had to pour out the remainder of this one. This should be sold in smaller bottles. Having no option but to buy this in 750 ml is ridiculous.

09-16-2008 01:57:25 | More by waltonc
AWolfAtTheDoor

2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

Had a taster of this at Lost Abbey.

Dark ruby into the 4oz taster glass.

Smells tangy. Medicinal. This might not end well.

Oh god. Medicinal, sour, tarty. Something has gone wrong with this beer. I got about halfway through the taster before giving it back. I home brew and even I don't get these flavors. Someone fucked this one up.

Quite carbonated. Reminded me of a shitty tasting jagermeister.

Overall this was lucky to get a 3. I think if they had better quality control, this might be an ok beer. There is no way this phenolic mess was what it is supposed to taste like.

10-30-2011 07:56:37 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor
emmasdad

Colorado

2.95/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured completely flat from the bottle, a nice mahogany color with no head whatsoever. Chocolate, plums, figs, raisins and rosemary work together to offer a very pleasant nose. The flavors here are a bit disjointed, with the aforementioned dark fruits, alcohol, rosemary and brown sugar clearly evident. Unfortunately the lack of carbonation turns this into an overly sweet and cloying mess. Would like to try it again with some bubbles.

04-16-2010 03:59:18 | More by emmasdad
PeterIngemi

Split a corked caged 750, poured into a diver glass

A- even with a gentle pour I get an abnoxious 4 finger head that disapates slowly, it is brownish, the beer itself is a deep murky brown, heavy lacing

S- rosemary, lots of rosemary, almost soapy, hints of alcohol, light raisin, not an incredibly pleasing aroma to me

T- it tastes better then it smells, the rosemary is much more subtle, raisins, brown sugar, an almost light chocolate note , bubblegum yeastyness. Alcohol. Faint faint honey.

M- medium bodies with high/medium carbonation, almost effervescent, I feel its too heavily carbonated.

O- I did not enjoy this very much, I'm thinking maybe ingot a strange over carbonated bottle, but I don't know, the aroma was rather soapy and unpleasant as well, at least to me

02-21-2012 01:37:20 | More by PeterIngemi
scootny

3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

Cellared for a year, it may be better fresh. This beer is an answer to an unasked question. Why put rosemary in a BSDA? I dunno to mess it up a little? To see if the brewer can make an overpowering herb work in a beer that wasn't looking for it? Oy vey. A nice looking beer with a dark mahogany complexion and spots and streaks of lace here and there. A sweet alcoholic smell that is drenched in dark fruits. Indeed there is a heavily rumed fruitcake in there. There is also a significant medicinal quality from the rosemary. It tends to accentuate the fusel aspect of the alcohol. Taste is a letdown for me. I don't care what goes into a beer just as long as it taste good. This is just so so. A good dark fruitiness with a mocha facet is overpowered by lysol. Not the spray the liquid. The rosemary just wrecks it for me. It brings out the alcohol to a solvent level. I use it often when I cook and I'm careful because of it's ability to take over. It has taken over my glass. Too bad because the feel is great. Full and chewy with a touch of cream. Drinkability is good if you like the taste. I don't have much love for this one.

I can appreciate the artsiness of the concept but the final outcome is less than stellar for me

12-22-2009 04:02:45 | More by scootny
JayS2629

Alabama

3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

A- Beautiful deep dark brown almost black with awesesome head retention. Nice, creamy thick tan head that fades slow into a nice creamy film that floats on top. Leaves creamy walls of lace.

S- Dark fruit, raisins, and plums, honey and sweet roasted malts. Metallic notes and herbal hints. Rosemary, and earthy, grass notes. Faint hints of chocolate and sweet malts. Brown sugar, and green sour apples. Booze hints.

T- Metallic sour characteristics with sweet raisins and honey. Faint hint of chocolate, herval notes. Rosemary is in the aftertaste and a bitter metallic aftertaste lingers. Touch of booze. Grassy elements and earthy notes.

M- Medium bodied,

D- Its a defenite sipper and there are some harsh qualities and sour notes that don't seem right in the blend. Its good but I won't get this one again.

02-06-2011 01:18:10 | More by JayS2629
bashiba

Iowa

3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured a deep dark brown with a thin bit of dark tan head.

The smell was very heavy, thick raison, lots of yeast, and a bit of cedar.

The flavor is very strong with big burnt fig notes and a spicy yeast along with hint of dark wood and a strong bitter tartness that is almost a bit unpleasant.

The mouthfeel is heavy with a lot of warming.

Over all this one didn't really do it for me, a bit harsh and seemed a bit off.

11-16-2010 01:29:33 | More by bashiba
hardy008

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Dark brown with Ruby highlights and a large tan foamy head with very nice retention and lacing. The aroma has raisins, caramel, rosemary, and brown sugar. I am not sure that rosemary is a good idea.

The taste has raisins, caramel, brown sugar, rosemary, and a small amount of tartness. Has a sweet flavor, but I am not liking the rosemary in this beer. Seems like a mistake to me. Honey is a listed ingredient, but I honestly can't pick it up in the taste or smell.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden. Unfortunately there is an aftertaste of rosemary. I like rosemary well enough, but don't care for it in beer. Lose the rosemary, and this beer would be much better.

12-29-2011 02:56:48 | More by hardy008
TCgoalie

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours dark brown with red hues when held up to the light. An off white head rests atop the brew with good lingering and lacing.

Honey and dark fruits dominate the smell. There is a bit of an off smell in there as well which I am assuming is a result of the rosemary. The off smell reminds me of two things; the gas they used to knock me out in surgery and new plastic toys.

I can't get past the surgery gas smell as it is also present in the taste. Looking past that, there raisins, honey and the weird rosemary. The ingredients on the label pretty much sum up what is in this drink.

The mouthfeel has a coating of the mouth effect with full body. I'm going to say that the mouthfeel is the strong point of this brew, too bad the taste is funky.

I am not a fan of this beer. Outside of the rosemary funk, this is a good beer. Too bad it dominates the taste...

10-24-2010 00:51:46 | More by TCgoalie
jsanford

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

750ml bottle poured into a Lost Abbey Stemmed Glass.

A - Pours a dark mahogany-red with a creamy taupe head that settles to a thick cap, leaving behind lots of sticky lacing.
S - Sweet and spicy aromas of dark caramel malt, raisins, figs, baked bread, herbal rosemary, and a touch of banana from the Belgian-style yeast.
T - Wow, I'm surprised by how "big" this beer is. Huge flavors of raisin and fig, with a heavy caramel and brown sugar malt profile and a solid dose of rosemary and Belgian yeast.
M - Not liking the mouthfeel on this at all. Big and syrupy, with fairly sharp carbonation. If this was creamier I'd like it, but the syrupy mouthfeel is odd and extremely unpleasant. Carbonated snot is a pretty unflattering description, but it works.
O - Liked the nose, liked the taste, hated the mouthfeel. Dunno if it's just this bottle, perhaps I'll seek this out on tap to confirm.

02-09-2012 03:09:44 | More by jsanford