10 Commandments - The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  12.00% ABV

A stronger version of our Lost and Found Abbey Ale brewed to a more contemplative alcohol content. Massive in every stretch of the brewing way possible this is the sort of beer that will remind a beer drinker who considers themselves a saint that even saints stray as sinners from time to time.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 05-08-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 10 Commandments Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

750ml bottle poured into a Lost Abbey Stemmed Glass.

A - Pours a dark mahogany-red with a creamy taupe head that settles to a thick cap, leaving behind lots of sticky lacing.
S - Sweet and spicy aromas of dark caramel malt, raisins, figs, baked bread, herbal rosemary, and a touch of banana from the Belgian-style yeast.
T - Wow, I'm surprised by how "big" this beer is. Huge flavors of raisin and fig, with a heavy caramel and brown sugar malt profile and a solid dose of rosemary and Belgian yeast.
M - Not liking the mouthfeel on this at all. Big and syrupy, with fairly sharp carbonation. If this was creamier I'd like it, but the syrupy mouthfeel is odd and extremely unpleasant. Carbonated snot is a pretty unflattering description, but it works.
O - Liked the nose, liked the taste, hated the mouthfeel. Dunno if it's just this bottle, perhaps I'll seek this out on tap to confirm.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

A: once you are able to fight the cork off with a drill (sarcasm), it pours a deep, deep amber/burgundy color with enormous head formation easily 2-3 fingers worth. Huge off-white bubbles in, dissipates very slowly.

S: huge amounts of honey crush the nostrils, I definitely get an herbal notes (which is the rosemary) and as the bottle states, raisins. The description on the bottle is spot on and each one (“honey, raisins and rosemary”) dominate the nose all of which are in very nice balance. Yeast also makes an appearance here as well.

T: I definitely pick up on the sweet honey and raisins characters. Spices create more complexity along with a very strong yeast and a moderate maltiness. Big, big, alcohol (which surprised me because it was undetectable in the nose). The ABV throws this one way off balance IMO. I feel like there is a constant struggle between the alcohol and the spices and sweet flavors.

M: extremely carbonated. Medium bodied. nothing great

O: disappointing. a unique brew. ton of honey, raisins and enormous spices which are balance nicely amongst themselves. But, the alcohol makes a rude entrance throwing this one off. If you like DBSAs, this one is worth a shot because of its uniqueness and it should be cellared for a year due to its “hotness” IMO.

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance- Pours an opaque, dark brown with no head and no lacing.

Smell- HUGE, sweet, spicy, malty nose with notes of rosemary and licorice.

Taste- Lot of dark fruits resting on a bed of maltiness and malt sweetness. I get raisens, plums, etc. Some licorice and rosemary in there. Malt sweetness and a nice blend of spices lingers for quite some time in the aftertaste. Sweetness does get a bit cloying Very little alcohol warmth for a 9% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel- Fairly heavy body. Needed a tad more carbonation.

Drinkability- Not a great Belgian strong dark, but tasty all te same. Probably be much better after a year in the old beer cellar.

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

A - Poured with a dark body that almost appeared a deep purple...there was a one finger head that formed but it fell quickly...some lacing

S - The nose on this was very promising...lots of dark fruits...raisins, dates...some sweetness from the honey and caramel

T - The flavor on the other hand was very disappointing...the dark fruits were present big on the raisins...the dates added a nice caramel sweetness...the honey really stood out and added more sweetness...it almost came to the point of cloying...what I was turned off by was the rosemary...well what I suspect was the rosemary...it added a freshness to it but it didn't play well with the other flavors going on

M - Medium bodied...little carbonation, smooth

D - Like I said, the nose was promising but I was let down with the flavors...it had to be the rosemary because a beer with honey and raisins should be delicious

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Serving type: cork n cage bomber.

S- Spicey phenolics, some malt, some dark fruit. A light soft alchohol note, quite pleasant.

A- Dark reddish-brown. Big creamy tan coloured head that laced well. both lace and head completely dissapeared by the end of my 4 oz glass, rather dissapointing.

T-Creamy smooth malt in the mid palate with spicey phenolics around the edges. A somewhat overstated bitterness in the finish, definatly some harsh notes. A nice, and very subtle, note of rosemary comes through as it warms.

M-medium-light body, fairly high carb (was hard to pour a drinkable glass). Warming and incredibly smooth alchohol note. Definatly some astringency in the finish.

O-Very complex, good blend of malt and phenolics. The alchoholic strength was very well incorporated.I loved the alchohol notes in the nose and palate, as well as the subtle rosemary notes. However the astringency was quite high and makes an otherwise great beer hard to drink for me.

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This might be the last beer we review before we leave for China. I doubt the beers we find in China are worth reviewing. But I could be wrong. I hope to find some good beers while we are there. I also hope to try some tea, as tea is not my drink of choice, but is customary with most, if not all meals in China. I also have been reading about some really nice liquors that they have there. Someone at work said I should order Sake. Um… I am going to China. Not Japan!

I have seen this beer before, but have never tried it. This is another beer from my boy Erick. We liked the Angel's Trumpet we reviewed last night so much we decided to try another beer from The Lost Abbey tonight. This beer has pretty good ratings on both BeerAdvocate and RateBeer, so I am expecting a lot. They do use Brett in the brewing process, which scares me a little. But I am getting there. Thanks, Tim!

Can anyone tell me what the 10 Commandments are? I just hope drink good beer is one of them. Cheers!

In the Glass: I can smell the sweetness from the raisins as I pour this beer. Or should I say, "As I pour this foam." I am talking straight foam. Granted, I didn't tilt the glass, but the glass filled with foam as soon as I started pouring it. Then the foam just sat there and pretty much solidified. I need a spoon. I am serious… It's like ice cream! The lace is nice and sticky, too.

Nose: I can smell the Brett, but it's not overwhelming. There is also a nice sweetness coming from the raisins and the honey they use. I wonder if the honey will be noticeable outside of just knowing they used honey in the brewing process. I would like to see that brewing process, too. Are they tossing that in at the end and how are they making sure the honey doesn't affect the consistency of the beer? I guess that is why I am not a brewmaster!

Oh, and I know this has NOTHING to do with 10 Commandments, but Four Peaks is going to start canning their Peach Ale. If you have never had the Peach Ale, you are missing out. I will be tossing a can of this in with ALL trades moving forward. When Erick was in town we took him to Four Peaks. Not sure if he had a Peach Ale, but I bet I made him try the Kilt Lifter!

Flavor: The Brett in this beer really changes my expectations for a Belgian dark strong ale. Most beers in this style are big, thick, and chewy offering a whirlwind of sweetness and complexity. I am worries this one will be highly carbonated. Let's see.

It's not overly carbonated, but the Brett changes the beer. This is not a good example of the style, but it is a really good easy to drink beer. At 10%, I would like to see what this beer tastes like in 2 or 3 years. If the bubbles mellow out, I bet the sweetness would begin to take over.

Mouthfeel: Cold, the beer is quite carbonated. It looks that way in the glass, but I was hoping for a surprise. That isn't a bad thing, but I don't like this style to be too bubbly. I did swish a sip around in my mouth a little, and the bubbles just took over. That did, however, provide me a lot more sweetness and really bring the raisin flavor forward. If you like a nice fresh raisin flavor, then you will love this beer. I bet that sweetness comes out as the beer warms up.

Aftertaste: You get a lot of the same flavors in the aftertaste, but they don't last long. I keep licking my lips for more of that sweetness I crave in a Belgian dark strong, but the finish is nothing to write home about. I do find it interesting that this beer technically started as a home brew. Oh, and props to the state of Arizona. I had no idea that Tomme went to school here. We have pretty sunsets, the Grand Canyon, and Tomme Arthur!

The beer is good, but I wouldn't buy it again. The Brett isn't what is throwing me off, either. I just had a certain level of expectations going in as this is one of my favorite styles. Drinking this makes me want to review another beer now!

2008 Vintage
Pours a solid dark brown with faint ruby brown highlights when held to light and a huge fluffy beige head that persists forever. Smells of pepper and spice with a solid dark sugary background. The flavor is sweet with sugary malt, a bit of dark fruit, lots of pungent and bitter spice, some pepper and other yeasty phenols. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet almost bitter mouthfeel. I've been sitting on this one for a while, I remember liking it a bit more when it was fresh. As is I am neither excited nor disappointed with it.

3.3/5  rDev -16%

a: Dark brown with little to no head.

s: Sweet Belgian sugar with some notes of raisins.

t: Sweet malt, toffee, raisin, caramel, and just before the finish, I catch a very subtle hint of herbs (from the rosemary I presume) and believe it or not, it works.

m: Thin body with low/no carbonation. My first experience with the dreaded LA quality control issues.

d: I like this beer, but it is almost flat which really kills the experience.

3.3/5  rDev -16%

I got this one back in February from and in-person trade with GatorBeerNerd. Thanks Donnie!

I poured this into a DuClaw Colossus snifter.

A: About the color of prune juice, with a fluffy froth posing as a head that clung to the glass like a spider in a web.

S: Belgian funk for sure, but with a bright, "Sweet Tart-like" sweetness, as apposed to a dark, brown sugary one. I didn't get any rosemary on the nose, but I could buy into honey and raison racket.

T: A lot of booze on this one, and that's a damn shame. Sure, there's a funky spice of some kind here, but I never would have tagged it as rosemary. Raisons aplenty! Dry, bitter, boozy finish.

M: I've heard it said many times, "Lost Abbey has carbonation problems! and... "Their stuff is as flat as a pancake" etc. blah, blah, blah. Since I've had dozens of their beers now, I have to admit that I'm a fan. However, in the case of this beer, the carbonation matches the reputation. Flat...

O: Cloying, boozy, and not very enjoyable. This one started out well, but I found it tough to get through.

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

750ML bottle poured into my RR -tion glass.

A-Very deep ruby color that appears brown to black when completely poured. Thin tan head settles quickly to some thin islands and a ring around the glass.

S-Dark fruit, and lots of it. Predominantly raisins, I think. Some fig, dates, brown sugar. Alcohol seems evident in the nose as well.

T-All over the place. Dark fruit sweetness up front, followed by a noticable alcohol presence. Gives way to a dryingness that finishes with a spiciness. The alcohol is not well disguised IMO. The booziness really detracts. As it warms, the spiciness comes out more and more.

M-Carbonation is medium high (I had doubts, it being an LA brew). The carbonation keeps the stickiness from being too much of a problem.

D-I felt the booziness was a little too much. Although clocking in at 10%, I felt the alcohol could have been better masked. The flavors are all over the place-this is great; some melding seems in order. Maybe this one just needs to sit for a little while.

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

on tap at devils den in philly

Pours a deep almost-black color, layer of beige head, nice collar of film with a couple spots of lacing.

Thick malts in the nose with candi sugar. Dates and figs shine through, a bit sweet overall, but with a slight metallic ping that I couldn't seem to shake. Notes of booze as well.

Candied dark fruit and burnt sugar. A mixed bag of richer dark fruit with dates, figs, raisins and a nice caramelized character to them. Thick, roasty malt backbone with caramel and molasses. Fair integration, but I still detect a metallic note. Finishes warm and sweet.

Full body, a bit higher carbonation, sticky, lingering, and a touch dry on the tongue. Pretty decent, but it felt like something was just a bit off on this one.

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

2008 bottle shared by the other Matt last night.

Eh, this is basically a spiced ale. Its beginning to taste a lot like Christmas. Beer is black / dark brown and hazy with a decent head but not much lacing.

My first smell I was surprised by the spice, I guess nutmeg and cinnamon but the bottle revealed rosemary, OK. I don't get hte raisins or honey really at all. Smells...OK.

Beer is medium bodied and pretty effervesant in the mouth. Its spicy and mildly sweet, its not very great. Its standard for most holiday ales, yes you CAN brew with spices, but have you considered NOT using spice? Whatever. Not a repeat for me, at best its average.

3.38/5  rDev -14%

Thank you to Gary for giving me this beer as a recovery beer from knee surgery #5

Poured from a 750ml to a "Chimay" tulip type glass.

A- A dark amber brown with a coco creamy head that dissipates rather quickly.
S- A very spicy aroma with hints of dark fruit, honey, and dirty gym socks. It says raisins on the label but it is more of a prune or fig smell to me. And yes the sourness of a dirty gym sock is there as well.
T- A very spicy taste over powers the tongue at first. Then the dark roasty malt hits with a sourness that lingers. The dark malt was also mixed with a rum soaked raisin flavor that was not apparent in the smell. I would also say there is a hint of toffee in the sour finish. Very interesting!
MF- A very heavy and full-bodied beer with great carbonation.
D- The alcohol was very well hidden, but the raisin and rum flavor does a number on the tongue.

This is a very good beer and I am very thankful for it being given to me under the circumstances. I don't think I would by this beer again, but I would not turn this beer down. If I had a full bottle again I would need someone to share it with.

Big Props to Gary for thinking of me!!!

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

On-tap served in a tulip

Pours a near black with a creamy, beige, one+ finger cap. Good retention and some minor lacing. The aroma is of fresh herbs, raisins, honey, brown sugar, a touch of roast and some dark fruits. Subtle on both the aroma and flavor, atypical for the style. The flavor profile mimics the nose. The herbal quality is in the foreground, while raisins, dark fruit, and roast take up the groundwork. Alcohol is well-hidden. The body, along with the aroma and flavor, are a little thin for the style. I like my BSDA's to be a little more forward in every regard, and this lacks in my opinion.

Overall, this isn't a great representation of the style. Pretty middle of the road, but definitely has some redeeming qualities. Above average.

10 Commandments from The Lost Abbey