10 Commandments - The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 05-08-2007

A stronger version of our Lost and Found Abbey Ale brewed to a more contemplative alcohol content. Massive in every stretch of the brewing way possible this is the sort of beer that will remind a beer drinker who considers themselves a saint that even saints stray as sinners from time to time.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 10 Commandments Alström Bros
3.76/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at 38 Degrees in Alhambra, 2012 version. On to the beer:

The base of 10 Commandments is a good Belgian Strong Dark Ale, but the twist here is there appears to be a potent spiciness to it, which to me tasted like ginger. Luckily, the base is strong enough to mitigate some of the spice and keep as an enjoyable beer to drink with a meal. Expect a profile of prunes, ginger, figs, and a kiss of liquor, with the addition of a dark bodied beer with good head retention, a fun smell, and a beer that's a little different flavor-wise per style.

1.85/5  rDev -53%

appearance: nice rich brown opaque color, correct for the style.
smell: stale diet coke?? this was so strong i wasn't able to isolate any other scents..
taste: my palate was overwhelmed by the unholy trinity of sour, alcohol and bitter. I was not able to even try and pick out any distinguishing flavors..
mouthfeel: probably about the right amount of viscosity and carbonation for the style
overall: perhaps i should try this again??? Maybe i had a bad representation of this beer??

4.57/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured deep mahogany with maple hues in the light. Off white cap that took a while to diminish. Brilliant glimmer when held up to the light. Figs, dates, raisins come to mind in the nose. Large bouquet of anise, spice, and cocoa, along with fainter crystal malts. The flavor is of blends of caramel, toffee, and malt, with a raisiny, black currant overtone. A bit of dark honey towards the finish. Not cloying at all, but very nicely balanced with the spiciness, sweetness, and fruit. The texture is smooth and adds to the complexity of the beer. Perfect carbonation. I will obtain this beer whenever I see it.

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

Incredible power, strength and complexity ooze from the chalice as this Belgian-style Strong Dark ale offers up new aromas and flavors with each return to the glass and as it warms. Not for the faint of heart- this beer is designed for the Belgian beer connoisseur in mind. I'm not sure if this would be a beer to inspire a new set of 10 Commandments by Moses, but in the study of him, I'm sure the Trappist monks dig it!

10 Commandments opens with a deep burgundy-brown hue. Deep garnet low-lights and an overall hazy demeanor keeps the beer looking masculine, yet regal. It helps that a highly creamy and frothy head caps the beer with a slight tarnish ivory stain. Its long-lasting retention creeps up the glass with sticky islands of lace that intricately decorate the glass.

Intense aromas evoke a suggestion of power and starts with raisin and maple. Its candied scent is somewhat of confectioner's candy stores even as the high notes of spiced rum waft about. Not backing off of the booze, its sweet candy aromas are biscuity, sherry-like and toasty. Even with the raisin additions, the scents of other fruits compound the beer's nose: dates, figs, licorice, currant and dark berries all fuel the overall winey scent.

Heavy handed in its malt-forward attitude, the taste seems like grandma's hard candies, but fused with sorghum and horehound candy. That spicy root beer-ish taste reels in a balance of peppercorn, cinnamon and vinous-type spice- all leading to a taste of fruit wine before that of rum. All the while those dark, dried and pitted fruits edge closer and closer to port and sherry. As the taste concludes, it lingers rather indefinately into the next visit to the glass- making it a sipping and savoring beer.

Full bodied without doubt.... there should be doubt as these Belgian ales are normally built to create a conflict of malty-dry and semi-sweet character. But this one is full and sticky from start to finish. Even its hop bitterness, high alcohol presence, and peppery phenols does little to combat the residual sugars. Its malty-sweet finish is pleasantly hot with an aura of lavender that haunts the session throughout.

There's little doubt that this is a world class Belgian-style "Quad" in the making. But the problem in that it isn't there yet. This 2-year vintage isn't enough. I wouldn't hesitate to cellar this beer for at least five years in order to let the beer dry out a bit more, for the alcohols to degrade and for the smooth vinous tones to grow.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a hazy brown with a big properly tan head. Smells like rum-raisin ice cream and Christmas cake and a ton of booze.

Herbaceous and boozy at the beginning, slow burning and thick with rosemary. Brown sugar and raisins and Oloroso sherry. Sweet and yeasty. Probably a bit much.

With a few years of age this will probably be a masterpiece. At the moment it's quite nice but a bit of a sweet, hot mess.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This might be the last beer we review before we leave for China. I doubt the beers we find in China are worth reviewing. But I could be wrong. I hope to find some good beers while we are there. I also hope to try some tea, as tea is not my drink of choice, but is customary with most, if not all meals in China. I also have been reading about some really nice liquors that they have there. Someone at work said I should order Sake. Um… I am going to China. Not Japan!

I have seen this beer before, but have never tried it. This is another beer from my boy Erick. We liked the Angel's Trumpet we reviewed last night so much we decided to try another beer from The Lost Abbey tonight. This beer has pretty good ratings on both BeerAdvocate and RateBeer, so I am expecting a lot. They do use Brett in the brewing process, which scares me a little. But I am getting there. Thanks, Tim!

Can anyone tell me what the 10 Commandments are? I just hope drink good beer is one of them. Cheers!

In the Glass: I can smell the sweetness from the raisins as I pour this beer. Or should I say, "As I pour this foam." I am talking straight foam. Granted, I didn't tilt the glass, but the glass filled with foam as soon as I started pouring it. Then the foam just sat there and pretty much solidified. I need a spoon. I am serious… It's like ice cream! The lace is nice and sticky, too.

Nose: I can smell the Brett, but it's not overwhelming. There is also a nice sweetness coming from the raisins and the honey they use. I wonder if the honey will be noticeable outside of just knowing they used honey in the brewing process. I would like to see that brewing process, too. Are they tossing that in at the end and how are they making sure the honey doesn't affect the consistency of the beer? I guess that is why I am not a brewmaster!

Oh, and I know this has NOTHING to do with 10 Commandments, but Four Peaks is going to start canning their Peach Ale. If you have never had the Peach Ale, you are missing out. I will be tossing a can of this in with ALL trades moving forward. When Erick was in town we took him to Four Peaks. Not sure if he had a Peach Ale, but I bet I made him try the Kilt Lifter!

Flavor: The Brett in this beer really changes my expectations for a Belgian dark strong ale. Most beers in this style are big, thick, and chewy offering a whirlwind of sweetness and complexity. I am worries this one will be highly carbonated. Let's see.

It's not overly carbonated, but the Brett changes the beer. This is not a good example of the style, but it is a really good easy to drink beer. At 10%, I would like to see what this beer tastes like in 2 or 3 years. If the bubbles mellow out, I bet the sweetness would begin to take over.

Mouthfeel: Cold, the beer is quite carbonated. It looks that way in the glass, but I was hoping for a surprise. That isn't a bad thing, but I don't like this style to be too bubbly. I did swish a sip around in my mouth a little, and the bubbles just took over. That did, however, provide me a lot more sweetness and really bring the raisin flavor forward. If you like a nice fresh raisin flavor, then you will love this beer. I bet that sweetness comes out as the beer warms up.

Aftertaste: You get a lot of the same flavors in the aftertaste, but they don't last long. I keep licking my lips for more of that sweetness I crave in a Belgian dark strong, but the finish is nothing to write home about. I do find it interesting that this beer technically started as a home brew. Oh, and props to the state of Arizona. I had no idea that Tomme went to school here. We have pretty sunsets, the Grand Canyon, and Tomme Arthur!

The beer is good, but I wouldn't buy it again. The Brett isn't what is throwing me off, either. I just had a certain level of expectations going in as this is one of my favorite styles. Drinking this makes me want to review another beer now!

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On draft at Raglan Public House

A- black semi opaque to dark ruby red. Good initial head that quickly settles. Lots of carbonation.
S- Sweet fruity with hints of the underlying booze
T-wow This one has some stuff going on. The dark fruits and honey jump out initially but it finishes dryer and boozier than expected. A delicious dry boozy aftertaste....where did the honey go? Don't notice the lavender at all.
O-Winner winner chicken dinner. Have bought 3 bottles to try to age because I really want to see what a year of aging does to the booze in the after taste but don't see them getting anywhere near a year.

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Pours very dark, I would say a very dark brown with no light penetration. Pours with a surprisingly intense head, but minimal carbonation thereafter. A small amount of lacing. Smells sweet, maybe dates and figs. Tastes wonderful. The honey is really well balanced. A sour note with figs and dates hits you a few seconds later, but sweet up front. Very smooth. The sweetness really covers the 10% ABV. All the flavors come together really well with this. I will definitely be buying more in the future and would love to see what aging does to this.

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

mine is a black pour, little head. not terribly impressive.
a bit of a chalky smell, like a stout, but fruity too.
wine-y, fruit-y right off the first sip. some bitter that belongs to the high abv rather than any hops I can distinguish. I can taste the raisins they are talking about on the website and some other dark fruit. it's thicker than most brews. getting some cinnamon, nutmeg. allspice. I think 'booze-soaked raisins' as someone else put it is a really great explanation.
overall? maybe I was looking for something lighter this evening. I knew what it was before I opened it. I suppose it has its place and maybe it wasn't with me tonight. it was okay but did not overwhelm me. if i'm sipping it, it's okay, but there is the alcohol bite that keeps coming up in the flavor.

4.53/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From the corked, caged bottle - 2012 vintage. Sampled on July 11, 2013.

It is so handsome to look at in the glass with its near black-ruby red tones and lingering, silky tan head.

The aroma blows me away I have to say. It explodes with dark fruits like plum or red grape along with rosemary, yeast, black licorice, allspice, and brown sugar to taper things off.

The body is medium to bold but there is a slight acidic thing going on.

The flavor is just as vibrant as the aroma with dark fruits and spices but a linger post-bitterness that almost feels a tad boozy but a bit less pungent. I can see why the Bros call this outstanding.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep ruby brown body with a big khaki head. Thin surface foam.

Smell - Very spicy. Rosemary is evident. Dark fruit. A little cinnamon. Brown sugar.

Taste - Lots of caramel and brown sugar right up front, but it drops off quickly. Raisins and dark fruits. Spicy and dry. Rosemary is strong again. Cinnamon spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, nicely dried out. Highly carbonated.

Overall - Like a Christmas ale in its spice component. Kinda overpowers the beer.

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Molasses colored body, amber hues. One finger tan head.

S - Rosemary, malted muffins, boozy raisins. Light citrus or candied citrus. Alcohol, mild spices.

T - Complex, and delicious. Citrus, herbal, booze soaked raisins. Candied fruits, black pepper, bready goodness. Definite Rosemary note, subtle licorice/citron.

M - Warming, smooth. Abv warms and evaporates in the mouth, the carbonation is medium and stays out of the way.

O - A pleasant BSDA, with a nice twist from the Rosemary. Nice take on the style, the high alcohol isn't annoying but you could definitely age this one for a year or more I'd imagine.

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

750ml bottle poured into a Chimay goblet.

AP: Near black in colour, but with some colourful purplish hues like a really dark eggplant. Fluffy off white and light tan head of 1" that takes a while to dwindle down to 1/4". Decent lacing when the glass is tilted.
AR: Dark fruits (raisin and fig), brown sugar, toffee, molasses.
T: Tastes like it smells, sugary sweetness that is toned down by the high ABV and yes, there is some heat on this one. Fruits have a rum soaked aspect to them.
M: Decent carbonation for a BSDA, moderate body (not too heavy), bit of a crispness on the finish though the sweetness does coat your mouth a bit.
OV: Good sweet flavours, though you can taste the booziness of this one. I think some cellaring would benefit this beer. Didn't get any spices on this which I think it needs to balance the sweetness. A solid brew, but not World class.

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Dark black with a finger of frothy tan-khaki head. Fades fairly slowly.

S - Dark caramel malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, clove, pepper, raisins, plums, and other dark fruits, honey, dark candi sugar, rosemary, and some booze.

T - Sweet dark caramel malts, plums, raisins, and other dark fruits, honey, dark candi sugars, Belgian yeast, coriander, clove, pepper, rosemary, and some booze.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a sweet, warming finish.

D - Great BSDA. Nice balance and complexity.

25.9 oz bottle, corked and wired. Poured passively towards the belly of a Duvel tulip, leaving a couple foamy fingers of toffee-colored head. Looks a formidable mahogany though when held to light there is some deep ruby transparency. The nose first hits me as very cherry-tart, almost like Fun Dip, including a hit of vanilla much like those candied dip sticks included. Yeah, I think I need some Fun Dip too. Ahem. Anyhow, the gamut of taste runs in three stages: the first is instantly dried, sticky-sweet old fruit like figs, raisins of course, dried cranberries and cherries, followed swiftly by dry char and weathered oak, straight into boozy heat. The 10% abv here is present though with some age I imagine that would be tempered - though the heat doesn't particularly hamper my drinking experience here. Mouthfeel is intermediate in viscosity, cloudy and yeasty in texture as this is a dark Belgian farmhouse stylee conditioned with Brett. Overall, I will absolutely drink this again and will double up for next year's batch as I'd like to explore 10 Commandments cellaring potential. I recommend this brew.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a corked and caged bomber into a Chimay Chalice

A- pours a deep dark mahogany, slight red tints along the edges when held to light, the pour produces an approx one finger khaki head that very slowly reduces to a covering, nice lace left around the glass

S- deep rich nose, burnt sugar, molases, dark fruits like plumbs and figs, raisins, alcohol is noticable as well, slightly herbal as well which I assume comes from the rosemary

T- the dark fruits hit the palate first, figs and raisins dominate the fruit flavors, the candi sugar sweetness transitions into a burnt sugar flavor in the middle of the sip, just like the nose the alcohol is noticable in the end, taste is slightly overwhelming but pretty on the mark for the style

M- heavy body, medium carbonation, the flavors coat the palate entirely, noticable alcohol burn on the finish

O- overall this is a solid belgian strong dark, curious to know how this one would age, solid beer, I'd buy again if I was in the mood for this style

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The 10 Commandments was good, not great. It delivered a great feel and smell, with a bit of an overdose of sugar on the palate though. I recently had the opportunity to try several beers from Lost Abbey and am impressed. I recommend trying this beer, but overall give it only a 4 out of 5.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours dark brown, almost black, with a big tan foam head and lots of splashy lace. A slight foamy cap and ring stays forever.

Great nose. Rosemary, mint, dark malt.

An oddly herbal version of the style. Rosemary and bitter notes up front. Alcohol, bitter brown malt next. Charred sugars and some raisin, but there is no sweetness. Finishes bitter and kinda dry. God this needs a drop of sugar.

Fuller bodied, some carbonation.

Great beer, but hard to get thru the big bottle. Very bitter and herbal. Beer for grown ups, but off-balance a bit. I liked it, but not a favorite.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

750ml bottle, 2008 vintage. Been hanging on to this and a few other Lost Abbey's for a few years

A - Pours a dark, dark brown. Surprisingly good head on pour that settles down to a mudium ring.
S - Hmm... Some malty sweetness that reminds me of dark Belgian candy sugar, hints of funk with a sour tinge to the end.
T - Fairly sweet, with strong notes of raisins and other muddled dark fruits. Some Belgian yeasty esters as well.
M - Sweet, but not cloying. Smooth, can't detect the high ABV, a big sipper, yet drinkable.
O - Not bad, not bad at all. Held up surprisingly well for a four year old brew, but some of the components have obviously died down at his point. The individual flavors have melded quite well. I don't know where the funk/sour in the nose comes from, but it's certainly nowhere in the taste. Overall, glad I got to see what it turned into after four years.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from 750mL corked & caged bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: extremely dark brown with plenty of haze to the body. Head pours three thick, inconvenient fingers of pillowy tan foam with fantastic retention and lacing. Quite beautiful indeed.

Smell: sweet, rich malt aroma with lots of fruitiness including raisin and pear. There's a tiny hint of the phenolic here as well, which only serves to improve the experience. My only complaint is that it is a bit candylike in character; notably, bubblegum. Still quite good.

Taste: different than the aroma; a little bit drier and darker, but still retaining that bubblegum quality. Thing is -- I actually kind of like it. The alcohol is evident, but not overpowering, and there is a real bitterness here too toward the end (where I also start getting hints of the rosemary). An unusual beer, but one I enjoy.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a giant, mouth-filling creaminess. A touch more body would put this into the highest ranks.

Overall: a good, if unusual, beer. I find that the more I drink, the more the herbal bitterness builds ... but that's not stopping me.

On-tap 9/2/2012 at Pour Farm Tavern in New Bedford, MA, served in a snifter glass.

A: The beer is deep dark brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a lot of spices, some brown sugar, caramelized malts, Belgian yeast and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some spice and some sweet flavors of licorice, dark fruit, caramel and brown sugar. Then a hearty malt character comes in along with a mild hops presence to provide a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, this is a nice darker Belgian-style beer to sip on for a long time.

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

2008 Vintage
Pours a solid dark brown with faint ruby brown highlights when held to light and a huge fluffy beige head that persists forever. Smells of pepper and spice with a solid dark sugary background. The flavor is sweet with sugary malt, a bit of dark fruit, lots of pungent and bitter spice, some pepper and other yeasty phenols. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet almost bitter mouthfeel. I've been sitting on this one for a while, I remember liking it a bit more when it was fresh. As is I am neither excited nor disappointed with it.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

a true beast, or should i say devine being? on tap at vine street, this beer pours a dense mocha color with a thin white veil. it smells like oak, bourbon, caramel, cocoa powder, brown sugar, and belgian yeast. its got an equally elaborate flavor, with some of the sweeter tones coming up first, and the alcohol basically eliminating anthing that might be subtle about the late middle or back end of the flavor eixperience. there is some vanilla and honey and oaky booze that stays in the mouth over the more than full body. the alcohol is relately punishing here, but the small pour helped me get over that. this is one ive been wanting to try for a long time, and while its not the most unique and reaching beer ive had from the lost abbey, it definitely is a well crafted brew, more in the barleywine tradition than he belgian i think. all up and great beer, not sure how i would have consumed the 750ml version... actually i know exactly how...

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

When poured into a tulip glass, the color was of an medium dark amber brown, with a lot of light tan foam and a fair amount of lace. The smell of roasted malts and spices was evident in the aroma. The taste of roasted malts and spices was also evident, along with a sweet candy finish. Not a lot of alcohol kick back in the finish.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

Vintage 2011

After a ridiculous battle with the cork, involving pliers, a towel, and eventually a corkscrew after breaking the cork, there is a nice pop suggesting that carbonation won't be an issue.

A - Pours a dark murky brown with about three fingers of very persistent tan head. Head eventually fades, leaving surprisingly little lacing. A thin cap of foam is maintained throughout the glass.

S - Smells like the usual suspects with a twist: lots of raisin and caramel, some fig, a bit of booze, along with mint, rosemary, bubblegum and some spice.

T - Taste is similar to smell, but with more spiciness and some earthy bitterness. Again, lots of raisin and some fig, quite a bit of caramel. An earthy bitterness takes over toward the finish, with lingering rosemary. Pretty tasty, and cuts any sweetness nicely, but the finish is a bit intense.

M - Medium mouthfeel that is initially on the sweet side, but turns dry and bitter on the finish.

O - A tasty BSDA, but a bit strong on the herbs to be exceptional. Glad I tried it, but wouldn't go out of my way to have it again.

10 Commandments from The Lost Abbey