10 Commandments - The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 05-08-2007

A stronger version of our Lost and Found Abbey Ale brewed to a more contemplative alcohol content. Massive in every stretch of the brewing way possible this is the sort of beer that will remind a beer drinker who considers themselves a saint that even saints stray as sinners from time to time.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 10 Commandments Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a St. Bernardus goblet. The color is a deep brown with an off-white head and lots of lacing left behind.

The aroma is very malty, some chocolate, bready, and a definite smell of rosemary.

The taste is very full of dark fruit, some bitterness from the rosemary, a little bit of bread and yeast, spices as well.

The mouthfeel is very full and thick and creamy. Some carbonation, appropriate for the style. The bitterness lingers just a tad.

A very good beer. I really liked the amount of flavors going on in this. A wonderful after-dinner sipper for the evening.

2.82/5  rDev -28.2%

Paid $13.99 for a 750ml bottle from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco. I have had one other bottle of this and noted that I enjoyed it but did not review at that time. I pour into a large snifter to review. This is the 2009 vintage.

Head is rather frothy for a Belgian and just over an inch in height. Head is beige in color and retains well. Beer is black and leaves behind nice sheets of lace.

Aroma is rather mild of dark fruits and roasted malts.

Taste is much more stout-like than Belgian-like. Dark roasted malts dominate.

The mouthfeel puts this more into the Belgian category. Rather carbonated yet still very thick and full bodied. Prickly smoothness in the mouth.

I'm not sure why I was impressed by this beer the first time around. It seems like a Belgian Stout if anything and a mediocre example at that. Needs to be bigger in flavor for its high ABV.

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Out of a bottle this beer was gorgeous looking, a cloudy, stained-wood color with a cocoa-colored cap of head that both retained and left good clumps of lacing. The aroma was also excellent, candy sugars, citrus hops, caramel malt, tart cherries and sour candies. The flavors were dark and bold but lacked finesse. I tasted bitterness first led by coffee, followed by raisins, toasted malt and a lot of citrus hops that made it rather acidic, then dark malt, grains and lots of alcohol. Sour and punchy with alcohol lingering on the finish. The mouthfeel was ok but a little oily leaving a slick on my tongue, the body medium/full and the carbonation also average. Not a favorite, but tasty.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a tulip.

My first experience with the Lost Abbey.

The beer pours dark brown but is nearly black in the glass. It sucks in light. There's a great amount of beige head that is very frothy and goes down the glass slowly.

I wish there was more strength behind this auroma, but what I do get is very nice. Malts and a sweet cocoa are noticable. The raisins are also very present. Some spices and the rosemary hit the tip of my nose. It's very well refined and balanced, smooth and inviting.

The taste is strong, but not alcohol strong. Strong amounts of malts, yeast and some funk cover up the alcohol. It's sweet; the dried fruits that are advertised give it a bitter cocoa taste. The honey adds to the smooth sweetness, and the rosemary gives it an herb aftertaste that is pretty refreshing actually. Harsh upfront, but becomes more pleasant after time.

The feel fits this beer almost perfectly. The consistency doesn't get in the way and acts as a perfect compliment to the taste. Somewhat carbonated, the body is substantive but has a creaminess which helps this harsh, strong beer go down easy.

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Another unique blend from Lost Abbey; this beer pours an almost maroon-brown. The head is active at first then fades down to a splotchy thin beach sand colored head. The lacing hangs an inch or two up the side of a chimay goblet.

The aroma is very slightly yeasty and burnt-caramel. For the amount and variety of spice in here it is actually a very mellow raisin and intense alcohol.

The taste is a veritable garden on my tongue. Woodsiness, whiskey, bitter chocolate, vanilla and herbs. There is the distinct flavor of yeast, bright but not terribly bitter hops, rich malts and considerable roasted/smoked undercurrents. The herbs are a wash of bright flowery and spiced flavors on the side of the tongue. There is an astringency which perfectly compliments the sweetness. For the type of beer it represents the experimentation and variety inherent in the low-country brewing style. Despite the rich, dark strongness it has a saison like wheat-yeast brightness. The grassy bitterness is not overwhelming.

There is minimal carbonation but that doesn't inhibit a full mouthfeel. The alcohol provides a warm fullness to the beer. It is moderately drinkable; I am particular to this style and herbal flavors but it could be off putting if you are not used to this type of beer. It does hit hard if not sipped slowly.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Pours a nearly dark brown color. At first a two finger beige head forms and gently recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Some spiderweb looking lace is left behind.
S: Toasted malts and chocolate up front. Some light yeast and funk. Bread and biscuit. Light spices linger.
T: Follows the nose. Toasted sweet malts of chocolate, and maybe some light coffee. Funky yeast, bread, biscuit, and light spices.
M/D: A full body that is low on the carbonation. Though not under carbonated at all. Creamy and smooth. Very easy to drink. This is a great beer to sip on.

This is a very good BSDA. I am really enjoying this. Something that I would recommend.

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%

Stoked to find this at Total Wine Tustin.

A - Pours dark brown in color with 1/2 finger of chocolate head. Dissipates fast, no carbonation. No surprise, from Flat Abbey (though I have trouble carbonating my Belgians too).

S/T - Chocolate, fig, cinnamon, and anise. Very good.

M - Full-bodied, malt and fruit dominated, some light alcohol present.

D - Overall good. Would welcome other people to try this beer. Would have been great if carbonated as it would bring out more flavor and character, etc.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

750ml corked and capped bottle bought from Beermerchants.com

Poured a deep dark brown almost black colour... Creamy mocha head poured very tight, thick and foamy then faded slowly to good meringue like one finger covering... lots of sticky lacing lines hang round until near the end...

Aroma - Rich dried fruits (raisins, dates, prunes, cherries), lots of anise / cough mixture notes, leathery, honey, quite strong herbal notes from the rosemary, molasses sugar / treacle sweetness, some light sour vinegar traces, cocoa, cut wet grass, some pepper and nutmeg spiciness...

Taste - Strong spicy fruits (definite raisins, figs and prunes), toffee apples, molasses and treacle sweetness, malt loaf, definite spicy notes from the rosemary, some warming alcohol, bitter chocolate, strong liquorice, peppery, light medicinal notes, spicy / peppery hops, light ginger spiciness....

Feel - Very smooth and creamy with a light sharpness just coming through... medium / full bodied... unbelievably drinkable even at 9%...

Overall - A world class brew from Lost Abbey - reminded me of Rochefort 10... Highly recommended....

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

2008 into LA tulip.

Pours about 1/2 finger of light tan head. Fades to a thick ring. Leaves some splattered lace. Color is a dark murky brown, basically black.

Aroma: I definitely get the honey, rosemary, and raisins. I also get a lot of other dried fruits. Some cherries. Some caramel malt. The aroma is wonderful. It just is sweet and welcoming.

Taste: A lot of spices. Honey, rosemary, and raisins are all dominate. Some caramel and malt flavors. Light earthy hops here. Overall, just a ton of spices. Ginger, brown sugar as well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Medium to full bodied. Decent amount of carbonation. Ends with a nice spice aftertaste, a little dry.

Oveall, the aroma is amazing and the taste is solid. This beer held up fine and glad I aged it. LA made a fine beer here. I am splitting this one, so a half pour is a good amount.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

A: poured into a lost abbey tulip glass good head with a brown color

S: smell is of honey and rosemary and some dark fruit in back ground

T: its great you can get all the flavors of rosemary honey and raisins quite sweet beer and the alcohol is well masked, I know most bottles are 9% but the one I bought said it was 10%

M: its not too heavy pretty damn good feel

D: after drinking a bottle I would like another a great beer

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a chalice.

A- Deep deep ruby red brown. Not totally opaque but nearly. A half-finger eggshell white head rises and falls to a scant film on top.

S- Parts of this smell is very familiar. I cant quite put my finger on what it is though. Its spicy and peppery. The rosemary is big in the nose.

T- Lots of spice, pepper and herb. Must be from the rosemary. Slightly rasiny also. Honey and raisin comes through towards the end as the beer warms. This is pretty unlike all other BSDAs Ive had.

M- Tingly carbonation, rich medium to full body. Finishes clean. Not sticky.

D- This is a very rich and complex. The taste is very powerful, for me its somewhat hard to have lots of this beer.

4.48/5  rDev +14%

Enjoyed on tap at The Blind Pig, Champaign Illinois's best beer haven.

Healthy dollop of creamy, slightly tan head on a rich, ruby-mahogany body; excellent durability and ample lacing on the stylish tulip glass. For a BSDA, I had hoped for a heftier nose, but this isn't bad--sweet and tart, lots of raisin, some molasses, cherry for sweet fruit. The taste exudes a fuller complexity than the smell did. The sweetness is more balanced in the flavor than the smell, which I like; cherry and raspberry neatly balance and complement the raisin and fig flavor; delicious.

Smooth, so smooth is the texture, but with a bit of a hopped bite in the finish; a little unexpectedly dry, but perfectly fine with me. Honestly, I was shocked at how fast 10 Commandments disappeared from my glass as I read at The Pig on a lazy, cold afternoon. Grabbing a second was a must. There are precious few opportunities in the Midwest to get wares from The Lost Abbey; this was one not to miss, and I am glad I pounced upon it. Splendid BSDA, one for which I will be on the lookout when it next appears in Champaign. Complex and distinct. I wish The Lost Abbey were just around the corner for this poor sinner.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Live rating:
2008 vintage, cellared since I received it in the '08 Patron Saints club about a year and a half ago. Good things come to those who wait....hopefully.

Pours a very dark brown smoky fluid with amber highlights at the edges and a full light tan head. A thin ring of head sits atop the beer all the way through the bottle....yeah, I drank this 750ml by myself.

The smell is unexpectedly sour with a burst of barnyard sourness from the added Brettanomyces. In the periphery I get a whiff of dark fermented fruits (raisins and plums), sour dark cherry, with some dark cocoa laden sweetness. There is also an herbal nature permeating the background.

The taste is complex with a hefty Belgian malt backbone, coupled with a funky sour foreground. I get notes of semi-sweet cocoa, raisins, plums, and brown sugar in the body. The funkiness which hits more in the finish leaves a semi-citrusy layer in the palate. The rosemary also shows up in the finish. The aftertaste is powerful and lingering with the illusion that the beer is still evaporating off the tongue! Incredible!!

Solid medium carbonation does this beer well with a liveliness that dances on the tongue throughout the swig. Like I said above, there is a sort of illusion that the beer continues to evaporate off the tongue for a good 30 seconds after the swallow.

Drinkability is very good, as the alcohol is very well masked by the incredibly complex flavor.

Awesome beer that I will certainly seek out again!

4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pretty deep purple color with big fluffy head. A thick layer of sediment is visible on the bottom of the bottle, even before the beer is entirely poured out.

Smell: Has a winelike aroma, dark fruits stand out.

Taste: An intitial ping of honey sweetness gives way to raisins and dark fruits. Lots of yeast and plenty of malt to back this up. Taste is strong, but more from the combination of flavors than from the alcohol, which is not much of a factor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Not a lot of carbonation.

Drinkability: Alcohol is well-hidden, but the bottle says 10%, so sharing a bottle is great.

Notes: This was my first Lost Abbey beer, and I'm very pleased. I had heard mixed feelings about this brewery, but will be trying more of their beers. If you're searching for a great interpretetation of a Belgian Dark, then look no further! On a side note, this beer had the most sediment I've ever seen! I had to rinse out the bottle at least five times before it all came off! But this was fine with me because I love the bready, yeasty flavor and texture yeasty beers impart.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

This Belgium Strong Ale in a 750ml bottle and poured a very dark, cola brown into a 16oz tulip glass. A lot more carbonation than I expected; as the head dissipated it did not leave much or any lacing.

The raisins came fourth big time in the aroma, and a sourness that I expect was caused by the Brett that was added during bottling. The taste was of a dark cherries and red wine which turned into a more sweet alcohol on the finish. It seemed to have an enormous mouthful, but it may have been the abundance of carbonation dancing on the tongue.

There was a lot going on in this beer, but without going over the top, which made it a very enjoyable beer to drink. As the beer got closer to room temperature it only got better. The spices made it a must have beer for the winter time.

2008 bottle that I've cellared since it's release last year. Poured into my Lost Abbey chalice, 10 Commandments is dark garnet with a big, loud spritzy head that quickly settles to a thick collar and light skim, leaving no lace, like cola.

Smell is loads of rosemary, wow, very herbal. I can't imagine what this was like fresh.

Taste is also heavy on the rosmary, a minty flavor to it, some raisin, malty and complex.

Mouthfeel has lots of creamy carbonation, medium bodied.

Drinkability is OK. First sip or two were off-putting, but as I worked through it, my palate adjusted and I enjoyed it well enough. But would have preferred it more with less rosemary.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

Opaque black, beige head in a stander snifter. Head sticks around, more than a lacing.

The aroma leaps at me, raisin, chocolate, figs. Sublime.

Sweet fruit wraps the front of the tongue with a caramel middle that highlights grape with a mint edge. (Belgian Baltic Porter?) Fruit and coffee edge. Not staining. Alcohol is not completely masked.

I'm partial to something harsher.

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Pours dark, cola colored with a large amount of micro bubbles but no true significant head.

The aroma is very complex, scents of grapes, red wine, charcoal and plums are ever present.

The initial taste is very intense. I get raisins, figs, burnt sugar and anise. There's an underlying dark roast coffee and whiskey flavor that grows as the beer warms.

The carbonation is agressive which to me adds a great extra dimension to this already amazing beer.

I could see myself getting hurt with this beer. Its very drinkable for being so high ABV.

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Cellared for a year, it may be better fresh. This beer is an answer to an unasked question. Why put rosemary in a BSDA? I dunno to mess it up a little? To see if the brewer can make an overpowering herb work in a beer that wasn't looking for it? Oy vey. A nice looking beer with a dark mahogany complexion and spots and streaks of lace here and there. A sweet alcoholic smell that is drenched in dark fruits. Indeed there is a heavily rumed fruitcake in there. There is also a significant medicinal quality from the rosemary. It tends to accentuate the fusel aspect of the alcohol. Taste is a letdown for me. I don't care what goes into a beer just as long as it taste good. This is just so so. A good dark fruitiness with a mocha facet is overpowered by lysol. Not the spray the liquid. The rosemary just wrecks it for me. It brings out the alcohol to a solvent level. I use it often when I cook and I'm careful because of it's ability to take over. It has taken over my glass. Too bad because the feel is great. Full and chewy with a touch of cream. Drinkability is good if you like the taste. I don't have much love for this one.

I can appreciate the artsiness of the concept but the final outcome is less than stellar for me

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

10 Commandments is a dark burgundy color. It's mostly clear and has a bit of a very dark cherry appearance. The cork popped with very little 'oomph,' but it does have a dark tan head that's about a finger tall. It dissipates quickly, leaving light strands of lace behind. Not bad at all.

The nose is loaded with dark fruits. They hit first and don't let up. Raisin, plum, and prune are present in equal parts and dominate the nose. It is malty and slightly sweet smelling. Chocolate malts don't smell overly strong, but it smells like they're here. There are some light spices present though I can't identify them. Alcohol is a little noticeable, but it's not overly strong. This is a nice smelling beer. It's not special, but it is very good.

The flavor is actually a little better than the nose, but a score bump isn't warranted. Dark fruit is the most prominent feature, and it's not very close. Raisin, plum, and prune flavors are tasty and resonate throughout it each sip. It is malty and sweet, with a touch of a cocoa-like flavor. Light honey adds more sweetness. Spices are noted, but are a secondary, complementary feature. I'm unsure of what specific varieties are here. Alcohol is blended well and isn't noticeable for the most part. It's far from hot or warm. It finishes a little spicy with a tangy, dark fruit flavor.

10 Commandments doesn't have a great feel. It seems woefully thin and uneven. That's exacerbated by very light carbonation. Notice I said 'light.' This one is not flat. For a BSDA, the feel is very average. It needs work. Drinkability is above average. I like the flavor, but more body and bubbles would make this much more enjoyable. I'll polish off the 750, but am certain that will be enough.

10 Commandments is an interesting beer. I like it. I almost like it a lot. The flavor itself is interesting and very good. However, it needs more body and the carbonation needs to be a little higher. It just seems a little 'off,' if you will. It's far from a bad beer and is certainly worth picking up. A couple of small tweaks would really do the trick. It's still pretty good stuff, if you ask me.

Served into a snifter on-tap at Kelleher's in Peoria, IL

A - pours a dark, ruby red - almost stout like in appearance

S - smells like grape with chocolate malts and some sugariness. Smells delicious.

T - caramely malts up front, with some sweet, sugary fruits. There is a touch of spiciness as well, however a grapey taste is the most dominate flavor on the palate.

M - medium bodied with good carbonation. (this was 9%?)

D - excellent beer. This is a very good interpretation of the Belgian Strong Ale on this side of the Atlantic. I am glad this was the last beer I had that night, otherwise this is all I would have drank. Excellent stuff.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

From Notes: 10/6/09
The Lost Abbey
10 Commandments Ale
9% Abv.
On-tap into oversize brandy glass

Appearance= Single finger tanish colored head. Opaque black body. Good lacing.

Smell= Smell is good. Nice dark fruits.

Taste= A little hot on first taste. Good dark fruits though

Mouthfeel= Medium mouthfeel if I've ever had it. Thin on entry and becomes thicker as the beer goes down.

Drinkability= It's good. Not what i expected though. Alcohol was noticeable which detracted somewhat from the overall experience.

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue II:

Rich, near-opaque burnt-amber colored brew with a tan creamy lacing. The aroma is unique. Distinct rosemary in the nose, with an underlying fruitcake and alcohol. Full-bodied with a light carbonation that gives off a good amount of smoothness. Flavor-wise, more rosemary and right up front, but it's complementary versus overpowering, though it does command your attention. Sweet and tangy raisin juice beneath this, slight char. As the rosemary meets the malts, a minty chocolate character is created which is most interesting. White peppercorn. Chalky yeast toward the finish, which is incredibly dry.

A solid, hefty brew, and it jumps headfirst into a deep pool of complexity, yet stays approachable even for the timid beer geek. The rosemary character and raisin tone really works here.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

75cl bottle from the 2008 release. A surprisingly loud pop accompanies the removal of the cork. The last couple LA bottles that I've had have been a bit too low on carbonation, but this one seems to have conditioned quite nicely, exhibiting a medium-high level of small bubbles. Nice. the color is dark brown with a creamy beige head that sticks around and never completely retires. The aroma has rich dried fruits with raisin being noticeable. There is also a funky, lightly tart edge, plenty of spices, (is that the rosemary?) slightly under-ripe pears and a hint of cocoa powder. A complex and intriguing concoction. The flavor is not quite as impressive but is nice nonetheless. Lightly sweet chocolate mixes with lots of spice, a light fruity tartness, and ends with a dry alcoholic bite. The body is medium with plenty of carbonation. I'd say this is a pretty complex and interesting dark farmhouse ale. There is a lot going on, but it comes together in a sort of organized chaos that leaves a unique signature on the tongue.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

A-Turbid deep, dark brownish black with a medium dark tan head that hangs on nicely and leaves decent lace.

S-Spicy, caramel malt sweetness, touch of alcohol burn, herbal blast, plum/prune, raisin, oak even a bit of sour cherry.

T-Wow...so much it is crazy! Spicy/herbal yeast with a rich malty nuttiness and a cornucopia of fruit with prune/plum, raisins, cherry, pear and then brown sugar, leather and oak dryness.

M-Medium bodied and lighter in feel than the taste is complex. I expected a bit more heaviness but found it to be rather "light" and somewhat sharp.

D-An amazingly complex brew but it actually leaves to palate fatigue! Also, the alcohol does lead itself to booziness. A very good brew to enjoy sipped out of a snifter.

10 Commandments from The Lost Abbey