10 Commandments - The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  12.00% ABV

A stronger version of our Lost and Found Abbey Ale brewed to a more contemplative alcohol content. Massive in every stretch of the brewing way possible this is the sort of beer that will remind a beer drinker who considers themselves a saint that even saints stray as sinners from time to time.

(Beer added by: scottoale on 05-08-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 10 Commandments Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

2008 bottle thanks to pwoods.

Pours a very dark brown color, near black with a short fizzy tan head.

Scent of prunes, sugars, anise, spices, vanilla, maple and some yeast. Very good, sweet dark fruits and sugars with a nice spice and bready yeast to keep it from being overbearing. Alcohol is masked well.

Taste of chocolate, dark fruits, sugars, spices, caramel, molasses and a nice yeast character. Alcohol is noticeable, but the strong flavor makes it bearable. A very tasty beer, but a bit of a muddle of beer styles. I will be looking to have this one again in the future.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with a strong bite of carbonation.

paco1029384756, May 02, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

2007 bottle received in Secret Bunny '09 BIF. Served in a goblet.

A - One finger of tan-gray foam, solid retention, with a nice ring left behind. Dark, dark, brown - approaching black. Strangely, each subsequent pour was a little bit lighter in hue.

S- Raisins, black cherry, licorice, caramel, spiced apple, brown sugar, and a hint of alcohol that peaks through (nowhere near as boozy as Judgement Day). It's got a lot of quad and barleywine type flavors to it.

T - Much breadier, but with some spice and apple tanginess to it. Nowhere near as sweet as it smells. There's a certain earthy and woody flavor that starts to accumulate - I'm guessing it's the rosemary, although I don't think I could exactly tell you what rosemary tastes like.

M - Really, really dry finish, and slightly warming. Good carbonation level (a surprise, I know! 2007 LA releases don't don't seem to suffer from flatness), with nice tingle on the tongue.

D - Higher ABV makes this one a slow sipper, and the the somewhat nondescript character of this brew makes it something I don't feel an overwhelming urge to revisit. It's nice, but I'd much prefer a Rochefort...

MasterSki, Apr 15, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -34.5%

Thanks goes out to "masterhomebrewer" for this one.

Poured this into a tulip.

Pours a dark brown/caramel like color with a three finger off white head that leaves a layer of creaminess on top. Sticky lacing is left on my glass.

Smells of belgian candy sugar, honey, raisins, rosemary(just like the bottle says) and other spices. Definitely smells interesting.

Definitely taste the rosemary which they used to much of with some hints of honey, raisins, figs, and a dark candy sugar sweetness. The rosemary is the main thing you can taste in the beer which is a bad thing for me.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy with very low carbonation. The rosemary leaves a kinda unpleasant aftertaste.

I would not have more then one of these and had to force myself to down the bottle. If they toned down the rosemary or not put it in at all this would be a really good brew.

Im definitely dissapointed with this.

tr4nc3d, Apr 11, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

2008 bottle. Pours a dark brown color, somewhat opaque, with dark copper/burnt orange hues around the edges. Generates about two fingers of somewhat fizzy tan head, which settles down to a full but thin lace, leaving some splashes of stick on the sides.

Fruit aromas are just jumping out of this glass the second I pour it. It's incredibly fruity - dark fruits, apples, prunes, cherries, raisins. Also a good amount of dark caramelized malt sweetness, some spice, a bit of clove. Not a ton of yeast character, but it's slightly musty and earthy, with an occasional funky note. All told I like it very much; it's complex and quite robust.

Taste starts off with a good amount of dark caramel sweetness and a lot of dark fruit flavor. Lots of raisin especially. Then I get a bit of funk and some spice - clove, anise, cardamom. It's just layered with fruit flavor - the aforementioned raisin, plus prunes, figs, apples, cherries. Rosemary is one of my least favorite herbs but it's here in just the right quantity, adding a nice dimension to the brew without getting overly herbal. Also some honey to the sweetness. Some caramel, rosemary and a bit of funk linger in the finish.

Mouthfeel is full, carbonation is somewhat aggressive but not overly bothersome, and it's quite smooth with a nice creaminess.

This is quite good; in some respects similar to Judgment Day but much more complex, and a notch better imo. Another winner from Lost Abbey.

number1bum, Apr 02, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a dark, dark cherry red. Initially, the head is huge, sandy colored and thick, but quickly dies to a weak collar around the rim of the glass. I noticed some odd, light colored chunks floating around on top once the head died. I expect that it's just yeast, but it was a bit off putting so I scooped them out with a spoon.
The aroma is sweet, roasty and fruity. A bit of a herbal tang from rosemary and I'm guessing coriander. Nice raisin and black cherry notes. A hint of cherrylike sourness and alcohol.
The flavor is equally sweet and sour. I can't say I've ever tasted anything quite like this. The closest approximation is Anchor's holiday beer, pumped up on steroids. A bit spicy and peppery, with notes of ginger and coriander. Lots going on. Roasty, toffee malt. Finishes rather dry, sour and spicy, with a bit of an alcohol burn. Body is a bit on the thin side, with supercharged carbonation that left my eyes tearing on the first sip.

UnionMade, Apr 01, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

2008 Vintage
Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark, blood red. Almost on the verge of being brown. Non-hazy. Produces a coca-cola like head that fizzes and dissipates within seconds.

S- Subtle, sweet honey crossed with herbal wafts of rosemary. Not as complex as the taste, but still pleasant.

T- The rosemary plays a a bigger role than I had hoped in this beer. It provides a medicinal, earthy malt backbone that is ever present throughout the whole taste. Contradicting this flavor is the sweetness from the honey, raisins, figs and caramel. I would like to see the taste a little more balanced, almost 50/50. On the scale, the rosemary definitely outweighs everything else.

M- Medium bodied with some carbonation, not much. As the beer moves around my palate, there is some harshness at points that seems to scrape against the top of my tongue.

D- For a 750mL this wasn't too bad to put away. Alcohol doesn't really play a factor in this one. It's more of coping with the rosemary bombardment.

Overall, I really like the concept behind this beer with the unique ingredients. It definitely has potential, I just think that the rosemary completely dominated the flavor. After a while, I sort of lost touch with the other flavors in the beer because my taste buds were wiped out. I really want to see this beer toned down a bit, I bet it would quite good.

rhinos00, Mar 31, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

Received this brew from 0110x011 in one of our large trades. I've been sitting on this one for awhile and tonight seemed appropriate. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip while watching Villanova vs. Pitt in an Elite 8 match up.

2008 clearly printed on front label.

Appearance- Pours a fairly dark brown with a light crimson hue and a nice two finger dirty tan head. A decent cap and collar remain but zero lacing.
Smell- A nice subtle tartness is evident right from the start with a very subtle apple cider like quality. I get more green apples and pears than dark fruits but I can appreciate the raisin like quality of the nose. The rosemary is interesting and surprisingly noticeable and adds a pretty interesting vibrant earthiness. Not as much funk as there is a light earthiness but its present none-the-less.
Taste- Wow, not what I expected! The dark fruit is overly ripe and dominate with a big mashed raisin and fig quality. It's funky and pungent with a dirty portabella mushroom quality (big and hearty). Almost something that reminds me of red licorice or even anise. I don't get any of the rosemary in the flavor but I get plenty of that raw dry honey-ness that I usually don't particularly care for. Seems to work pretty well here. Finishes with just a hint of alcohol and a bit of light caramel.
Mouthfeel- Nice hefty body with a clingy rich feel but think the carbonation could be bumped up a touch. If it had that little bump in carbonation I'd easily give this a 5.
Drinkability- Well two things I usually don't like in my beer; raisins and honey. Gave this a shot anywho and enjoyed the shit out of it. I think the Brett character was perfect for my liking and couldn't have picked a better time to enjoy. Thanks for the opportunity Matt!

younger35, Mar 29, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Bottle from 2008 release. Poured into Chimay Chalice

Pours a great blackish/amber color

Smell is very clean.,grapes, cherries, blackberries, apple, honey, raisons, black licorice,a little oaky as well.

Taste is somewhat fruity a very nice sweet taste caramel, and honey. It also taste like it has some distinct spices (maybe a little mint)

Grapes and plum at the beginning, flavor lasts for a long time, and progressivley changes. Settles down with a somewhat strong, but very smooth after-taste.

Medium thick and it feels nice and smooth. Drinkability is somewhat hindered by the alcohol I could taste, very complicated and sweet. Has similarites to red wine.

I for sure recconmend this beer! Although it was not my favortie Lost Abbey beer

ArodGetsSick, Mar 26, 2009

Thanks goes out to Hojaminbag for this brew.

750ml
2008 Edition
Caged/Corked

Poured into a chalice a deep brown color, nice carbonation, nice fizzy one-finger off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, slight yeast, dark fruits, and a hint of rosemary. The taste is sweet, malty, with some yeast notes, nice touch of raisins, figs, plums, nice little touch of rosemary. Medium body, the ABV is hidden very well. Drinkable, this is a very nice brew, thanks Ben.

Wasatch, Mar 21, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Dark brown, no head, min lacing. Nothing real interesting here.

S - Herbal, mint, some dark fruit.

T - Nice blend of herbs and malt. A small medicinal note that I didn't really care for.

M - Medium body, close to nil carb. Fair balance.

D - Doesn't really do it for me. Fun to try, though. Maybe if more carbed?

srandycarter, Mar 12, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle from May2008 release. 750mL into New Belgium globe glass and Unibroue elongated tulip.

Looks like a Quad. Great head retention.

Aroma is certainly 5/5. Smells similiar to a big Oud Bruin and reminds me of the Deschutes Dissident. Belgian funk, dark cherries, blackberries, honey, variety of grapes, yellow raison, a little wood. Actually some rosemary too! Brett and possibly a little Lacto or something else?

Taste is much of the same, but more sweetness - caramel, toffee, honey. Not too sweet though; enough else going on. I detect some rosemary, particularly in the finish and aftertaste; although it is not ever dominating, nor does this taste like a "spiced beer". I don't think most could call it out without already knowing it was used though.

Long, evolving flavor. Alot of plum at the beginning. Some Dark cacao then licorice at the end. I wish more of the funk from the aroma came through in the taste, although it plays a little in the slickness and somewhat dry finish and aftertaste, considering how sweet it is.

Very thick and feels good. Drinkability is hurt a tad by the thickness, sweetness, and so much going on. Alcohol is not harsh at all. Things have certainly melded together by now.

Def. worth trying, but I like smelling it more than I like drinking it. I'd recommend this to red wine and port fans.

This bottle is lasting a long time, and the rosemary is becoming more and more apparent as I drink it and as it warms. Split the bottle with someone.

Brett lamb, and prolly some Brett brux and possibly Lacto.

Edit: I am really sensing the rosemary as I near the end of the bottle, especially in this green woody aftertaste. I happen to love rosemary though and do not think it's harsh or unpleasant.

MEsquandoles, Feb 28, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Lost Abbey Snifter. Pours a darkblack with red highlights. Thin head that quickly dissapated but leaves some nice lacing.

Smells very different from a typical beer. You can smell the raisins and a minty smell probably from the rosemary. Very unique

Tastes very unique. The rosemary stands out more than you expect. The raisins add a very nice flavor as well. A good beer but very unique.

Mouthfeel is a little low on the carbonation. But not that bad.

Overall a very unique brew that I don't think I would drink alot of because it is so unique. Good though.

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 26, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from the bottle a clear dark mahogany with ruby highlights. On top floats a thin finger of tan head.

Aroma of raisins, dark fruits, caramel, new shoe box, dark chocolate, vanilla, and booze.

The taste is much like the aroma. Raisins, dark cherries, roasted caramel malts, dark chocolate, and vanilla. Dark cherries and the 9% alcohol weigh through to the finish. Nice.

Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, and moderately carbonated.

Thou shalt enjoy this Belgian Strong Dark Ale from The Lost Abbey.

Monkeyknife, Feb 20, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -68.3%

I bought this beer in Denver right after GABF 08, aged until then in appropriate conditions.

I poured this corked and caged 750 into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice and had huge expectations. When the cork easily slid out with just a bit of an accompanying pop, I thought to myself, well it wont be over carbonated, that's for sure. When I poured the beer it poured a dark molasses brown with just an inkling of a tan head, leaving no lacing whatsoever. The aroma is not good. Huge herbal notes over power any semblance of a nose. Rosemary and really what reminds me of Everclear. The flavor of this beer is probably the biggest train wreck of flavors I have ever experienced. Rosemary/herbal flavors dominate, fusel alcohols, molasses, and a cloying raisiny sweetness that lingers right behind the rosemary. The mouthfeel is light with very low levels of carbonation. I honestly can't see how someone can finish this beer. Looking back at others reviews, it makes me wonder if there is that much fluctuation between batches. I've gotten through about 5oz's and the rest is going down the drain. This beer isn't infected, no problem with introduced flavors. I feel like I need to scrub my tongue with Listerine to get the taste off.

As a note, this is my first Lost Abbey beer that I found worse then good. That means it deserves a second chance and I will update my review when I re-review it.

hwwty4, Feb 18, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a dark obsidian, a lively tan head billows up, alive with tiny bubbles. Lacing slides right off the side of the glass, not very sticky at all. After most of the head has dissipated, a little plateau remains anchored to the middle of the glass. A full nose with what smells like cherries and roast dark chocolate, with a big yeasty bouquet.

Malty and earthy, with chocolate being the prominent characteristic. Roasty chocolate, with a slight dark fruity presence like cherry or raisin. Big, malty and bready. Little bit of coffee also. Little bit of hop kick at the end but nothing overwhelming. Despite the initial sensations, this seems to be a pretty lowly carbonated beer, very sticky, very cloying, and the roastiness lingers on the palate. Drinkability suffers a bit because it is a bit boozey, on top of what is a pretty complicated beer to begin with. It's a sipper, but a damn good one. For anyone a fan of dark Belgians, this is most definitely worth a try.

damienblack, Feb 12, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Hmmm... an interesting beer. My 2008 edition poured a fat, 1 1/2-inch head. It was virtually black, more so than Westy 12/Rochefort 10/etc. Smells of sour cherries, raisins, and spicy phenols. Boozy taste -- my only big problem with it. But getting past that, this is a very complex beer that follows up with a cascade of delightful flavors -- again, sour cherries, raisins, candi sugar, cloves, bread and a beautiful hop bittering to balance the sweet complexity. Tight bubbles in the mouth, smooth and creamy. Drinkability gets better the closer I come to the bottom of the 750-ml bottle. As it warms and flattens, I desire more and more. This is by far the best American example of a Belgian-style Strong Dark I've had. Not quite on par with Westy, but probably surpassing Rochefort 10. Nice, nice, nice work.

masterhomebrewer, Feb 09, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to Gueuzedude for the opportunity to try this! 2008 edition.

A- Body is a cloudy, murky dark brown hue. An aggressive pour produces absolutely no head. When held up to the light one can see shades of foggy red shine through. Cloudiness is thick and dynamic.

S- The smell is subtle; but good. dry raisin and phenols definitely come through the most upfront in the nose. In the background is a nice spicy Belgian yeast. A hint of honey comes through also.

T- The flavor is very fruity and appears to be somewhat dry upfront as the raisin and a hint of plum come through first. The flavor develops more as the beer warms and what seemed somewhat one dimensional evolves. Spicy yeast really comes through in the background and sweet honey compliments and opposes the dry fruity flavors and alcohol bitterness well.

M- Very low carbonation and almost flat-but where this beer lacks in carbonation it is made up in a nice full yeast mouthfeel. Phenols are also present in the mouthfeel.

D- This is a nice, quite complex, BSDA. This beer would have a lot more potential if the carbonation had come through. The 9% is detectable but not ridiculous or out of check in anyway. An overall nice beer by the Lost Abbey

PittBeerGirl, Jan 27, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

25.4 fl oz brown bottle; caged and corked.
Served in a tulip.

Deep oak in color with a bright hue of maple. Creamy, white head with a porous effect. Condensed and webbed lacing with stable strength.

Semi-sweet honey-scented malt; faints hints of vanilla aided caramel. Predominant floral/herbal aromatics. Basil, rosemary, thyme. Bubblegum and lemon zest. Brisk notes of corriander. Unusual, but very pleasant herbal aromas.

Dynamic, herbal flavors unlike anything I've ever tasted in a beer before: basil, savory, thyme, rosemary. Gruit-like notes but a more stable, rounded, creamy malt base: moderately sweetened with honey. Floral hops, light corriander, and vanilla. An overtone of citrus: lemon zest, green apple, and orange peel.

Medium in body; a very light smoothness. Hints of creaminess, but nowhere near a "heavy" Belgian Ale. Spicy, citrus-like, but balanced.

A ridiculously-flavored concoction. Pleasant, but nearly indescribable. I have never tasted an ale of such flavors. Here's my best attempt: herbal, roundedly-sweet, minimally-spiced, and touched with citrus. Actually, it's really tasty and pleasant...so, go out and buy two of these!

NEhophead, Jan 24, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Vintage 2008, into a Lost Abbey chalice.

A - Dark, dark brown. Opaque without a backlight, ruby highlights come out with. Frothy, light tan two finger head comes and goes, leaving a thin collar behind.

S - Major ripe plum and raisin, with cinnamon, molasses, and anise. Earthy leather and mushroom. A bit of funk.

T - Raisin and plum hit the palate first, with the earthy overtones following closely. On the sweet side, with dark fruitiness and candi sugar. Spicy in the back, with a bit of alcohol prickle.

M - Full for a (kinda) Quad. Smooth, fine carbonation. Medium-long, semi-dry finish.

D - The richness & alcohol keep this one at sipping status.

A unique and tasty hybridization of Belgian styles; another fine beer in the Lost Abbey roster.

0110x011, Jan 23, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very dark brown almost opaque. A nice tan head accompanied the pour and then quickly dissipated. Sweet honey as well as thick malt and spices in the smell. Robust malt flavors as well as a molasses flavor in the front with a spicy clove or ginger or cinnamon followed by a touch of alcohol after it leaves the palate. This drink finishes dry compared the initial taste of the beer. While this is a very fine ale, I doubt I would have more than one in a sitting.

stemcell001, Jan 22, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Very dark brown that is almost opaque with very little tan head and little lacing

S - Strong rosemary with noticeable honey and raisins

T - Big rosemary presence. Good raisin presence. Some honey in the back. Overall kind of intense.

M - Thick body with very little carbonation

D - Good and enjoyable. Probably good to age. As it warms the funk comes out.

midaszero, Jan 18, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a dark cola color that becomes murkier the closer you wander towards the bottom of the bottle. The shallow light tan loose foamy collar is more of an 'extra' than a 'supporting' character; less than a finger when poured aggressively...fades quickly without much of a trace. Wow, the smell is another story...quite substantial, rich, earthy and malty...suggesting a brew of substance awaits with dark fruit, molasses and chocolate. The mouth feel playing a key role; medium-light body, smooth and creamy....with a killer coating characteristic that sustains the flavor's starring performance well after the swallow. Big on taste...the licorice, chocolate, molasses and spicy cinnamon flavors are deep and intense...i'm talk'in about a ton of quality ingredients going into this baby. This is without a doubt one of the best (read as personal favorites) Belgian Strong Dark Ales that i've had the opportunity to consider. At 9% ABV, while there is a nice hint of warmth...the drinkability is world class. An incredible product...well within expected interpretation of the style and hugely 'in-your-face' substantial nose, flavors and supporting texture combination make this one stand 'head & shoulders' above the rest. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! I give it huge scores for overall experience.

jjayjaye, Jan 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

a: into my st. bernie chalice, minimal head over a deep brown ale, great color but the head leaves something to be desired

s: delicate rosemary woven through dark and sugary belgian malts, dark raisin and prune skins, fruit cake, aged hops, various dark fruit breads, moderately sweet, really a lot going on here, i've always liked what rosemary brings to belgian ales

m: minimal carbonation on the tongue, medium bodied, smooth

t: strong but thoughtfully used rosemary permeates a body of dark belgian sugars, lightly tannic prune skin, dries out and becomes a touch woody/tannic in the finish, great balancing interplay with the dark fruits and woody rosemary, very much unique and something i'd be happy to acquire again

d: an aromatic and flavorful, warming sipper

750 shared courtesy of dirtylou during the countdown to my departure from madison :(

blackie, Jan 04, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

750ml bottle - 2008 edition, obtained in a bif of some sort, split with blackish, pre vikings-eagles playoff match

appearance: poured into a de koninck chalice, dark cola-mahogany body with garnet hues, not much head or lacing to speak of

smell: pretty wild aroma - candi sugar, dark malts, raisins and dates, brown sugar, plum and fig - similar to a nice tawny port

taste: a pretty nice belgian dark - raisins, pruins, dates, and walnuts soaked in a nice port. Rosemary and honey provide some rather unique touches to the style...caramel, brown sugar, licorice. very nice indeed

mouthfeel: smooth, coating, and warming

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Jan 04, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Batch 1, vintage 2007, 750ml bottle at 54 degrees.

Pours with a surprisingly lush, two inch head of tan, atop a body of dark mahogany with ruby hues.
A solid skim coat on the surface of the brew stays for the duration as well as frayed ropes of lacework.

Aromatics lead off with a slightly tart, vineous note. Hints of chocolate, caramel, crushed mint, rosemary and cloves pull through. Barely a tinge of menthol and dried pineapple way in the back.

On the thicker side of medium bodied with a creamy, slightly chewy mouthfeel.

The palate starts with red, vineous overtones, bitter chocolate, rum-soaked raisins, star anise, rosemary, and cocoa-dusted grape jam.
Shades of coffee grounds, schezuan peppercorns, and a bark-like earthiness follow through.

Finishes with spicey jam, dark chocolate, a tart vineousity, and warming alcohol.

After over a year in the bottle, the Brett is still barely noticable, and the spicing is toned down and fairly rounded.
The vineous component lends a great complexity, and adds a bit of the Tomme signature.
Definately a beer that benefits from some time in the cellar. This batch may peak in another two years or so.

brewandbbq, Dec 31, 2008