10 Commandments - The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 05-08-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 10 Commandments Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

Had a taster of this at Lost Abbey.

Dark ruby into the 4oz taster glass.

Smells tangy. Medicinal. This might not end well.

Oh god. Medicinal, sour, tarty. Something has gone wrong with this beer. I got about halfway through the taster before giving it back. I home brew and even I don't get these flavors. Someone fucked this one up.

Quite carbonated. Reminded me of a shitty tasting jagermeister.

Overall this was lucky to get a 3. I think if they had better quality control, this might be an ok beer. There is no way this phenolic mess was what it is supposed to taste like.

AWolfAtTheDoor, Oct 30, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured completely flat from the bottle, a nice mahogany color with no head whatsoever. Chocolate, plums, figs, raisins and rosemary work together to offer a very pleasant nose. The flavors here are a bit disjointed, with the aforementioned dark fruits, alcohol, rosemary and brown sugar clearly evident. Unfortunately the lack of carbonation turns this into an overly sweet and cloying mess. Would like to try it again with some bubbles.

emmasdad, Apr 16, 2010

johnnyboy76, Apr 19, 2014

Zbeetleman, May 15, 2013

johnhenryconway, Nov 23, 2011

Split a corked caged 750, poured into a diver glass

A- even with a gentle pour I get an abnoxious 4 finger head that disapates slowly, it is brownish, the beer itself is a deep murky brown, heavy lacing

S- rosemary, lots of rosemary, almost soapy, hints of alcohol, light raisin, not an incredibly pleasing aroma to me

T- it tastes better then it smells, the rosemary is much more subtle, raisins, brown sugar, an almost light chocolate note , bubblegum yeastyness. Alcohol. Faint faint honey.

M- medium bodies with high/medium carbonation, almost effervescent, I feel its too heavily carbonated.

O- I did not enjoy this very much, I'm thinking maybe ingot a strange over carbonated bottle, but I don't know, the aroma was rather soapy and unpleasant as well, at least to me

PeterIngemi, Feb 21, 2012

nanobrew, Nov 18, 2011

crashoveride, Jan 22, 2012

eulerthegrape, Sep 13, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

Cellared for a year, it may be better fresh. This beer is an answer to an unasked question. Why put rosemary in a BSDA? I dunno to mess it up a little? To see if the brewer can make an overpowering herb work in a beer that wasn't looking for it? Oy vey. A nice looking beer with a dark mahogany complexion and spots and streaks of lace here and there. A sweet alcoholic smell that is drenched in dark fruits. Indeed there is a heavily rumed fruitcake in there. There is also a significant medicinal quality from the rosemary. It tends to accentuate the fusel aspect of the alcohol. Taste is a letdown for me. I don't care what goes into a beer just as long as it taste good. This is just so so. A good dark fruitiness with a mocha facet is overpowered by lysol. Not the spray the liquid. The rosemary just wrecks it for me. It brings out the alcohol to a solvent level. I use it often when I cook and I'm careful because of it's ability to take over. It has taken over my glass. Too bad because the feel is great. Full and chewy with a touch of cream. Drinkability is good if you like the taste. I don't have much love for this one.

I can appreciate the artsiness of the concept but the final outcome is less than stellar for me

scootny, Dec 22, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

A- Beautiful deep dark brown almost black with awesesome head retention. Nice, creamy thick tan head that fades slow into a nice creamy film that floats on top. Leaves creamy walls of lace.

S- Dark fruit, raisins, and plums, honey and sweet roasted malts. Metallic notes and herbal hints. Rosemary, and earthy, grass notes. Faint hints of chocolate and sweet malts. Brown sugar, and green sour apples. Booze hints.

T- Metallic sour characteristics with sweet raisins and honey. Faint hint of chocolate, herval notes. Rosemary is in the aftertaste and a bitter metallic aftertaste lingers. Touch of booze. Grassy elements and earthy notes.

M- Medium bodied,

D- Its a defenite sipper and there are some harsh qualities and sour notes that don't seem right in the blend. Its good but I won't get this one again.

JayS2629, Feb 06, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured a deep dark brown with a thin bit of dark tan head.

The smell was very heavy, thick raison, lots of yeast, and a bit of cedar.

The flavor is very strong with big burnt fig notes and a spicy yeast along with hint of dark wood and a strong bitter tartness that is almost a bit unpleasant.

The mouthfeel is heavy with a lot of warming.

Over all this one didn't really do it for me, a bit harsh and seemed a bit off.

bashiba, Nov 16, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Dark brown with Ruby highlights and a large tan foamy head with very nice retention and lacing. The aroma has raisins, caramel, rosemary, and brown sugar. I am not sure that rosemary is a good idea.

The taste has raisins, caramel, brown sugar, rosemary, and a small amount of tartness. Has a sweet flavor, but I am not liking the rosemary in this beer. Seems like a mistake to me. Honey is a listed ingredient, but I honestly can't pick it up in the taste or smell.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden. Unfortunately there is an aftertaste of rosemary. I like rosemary well enough, but don't care for it in beer. Lose the rosemary, and this beer would be much better.

hardy008, Dec 29, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours dark brown with red hues when held up to the light. An off white head rests atop the brew with good lingering and lacing.

Honey and dark fruits dominate the smell. There is a bit of an off smell in there as well which I am assuming is a result of the rosemary. The off smell reminds me of two things; the gas they used to knock me out in surgery and new plastic toys.

I can't get past the surgery gas smell as it is also present in the taste. Looking past that, there raisins, honey and the weird rosemary. The ingredients on the label pretty much sum up what is in this drink.

The mouthfeel has a coating of the mouth effect with full body. I'm going to say that the mouthfeel is the strong point of this brew, too bad the taste is funky.

I am not a fan of this beer. Outside of the rosemary funk, this is a good beer. Too bad it dominates the taste...

TCgoalie, Oct 24, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

750ml bottle poured into a Lost Abbey Stemmed Glass.

A - Pours a dark mahogany-red with a creamy taupe head that settles to a thick cap, leaving behind lots of sticky lacing.
S - Sweet and spicy aromas of dark caramel malt, raisins, figs, baked bread, herbal rosemary, and a touch of banana from the Belgian-style yeast.
T - Wow, I'm surprised by how "big" this beer is. Huge flavors of raisin and fig, with a heavy caramel and brown sugar malt profile and a solid dose of rosemary and Belgian yeast.
M - Not liking the mouthfeel on this at all. Big and syrupy, with fairly sharp carbonation. If this was creamier I'd like it, but the syrupy mouthfeel is odd and extremely unpleasant. Carbonated snot is a pretty unflattering description, but it works.
O - Liked the nose, liked the taste, hated the mouthfeel. Dunno if it's just this bottle, perhaps I'll seek this out on tap to confirm.

jsanford, Feb 09, 2012