Serpent's Stout - The Lost Abbey

Serpent's StoutSerpent's Stout

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 06-10-2007

The history of the bible and religion is indeed the struggle of good vs. evil. Our Serpent’s Stout recognizes the evil of the dark side that we all struggle with.This is a massively thick and opaque beer that begs the saints to join the sinners in their path to a black existence.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,548 | Reviews: 551

2.48/5  rDev -41.4%

Never heard of this one before, but I loves me some Imperial Stout.
Nice pour. Opaque and thick looking. Head was minimal but still looked good and for the style, expected. Still, a bit more would be great.
Anyway, from there the beer goes downhill. Alcohol, chocolate, roasted malt smell. Strong. Noticeably in the background is magic marker smell. Oh, no.
Sure enough, magic marker dominates the taste. Then alcohol, then burnt chocolate. This is not good. It's worse than "not impressed" and I couldn't finish it. I'm hoping this is a bad batch, but it is still the beer I was drinking. Something went wrong here.

2.5/5  rDev -40.9%

2.65/5  rDev -37.4%

Well, this should be fun. Poured into a small snifter. Thin but formative head, and pretty damned black to say the least.

Aroma is to me kinda muted and frankly a little disappointing for the style. I'm just getting a little fruity alcohol....

I don't taste a lot of alcohol, though. It's roasty and quite dry, with bitter cocoa, espresso and hops. It's kind of unpleasantly bitter, and it hits you like a ton of bricks.

It has a really big, thick chewy feel.

This will be hard to drink - I think it lacks the typical Lost Abbey complexity that I was expecting. Plus, you feel the big alcohol immediately. Definitely not my favorite Lost Abbey beer....afraid I'm going to have to be on the left side of the bell curve here. Wow, you know what, I really do not like this beer.

2.66/5  rDev -37.1%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Absolutely impenetrable black, no highlights or edges when held to a lamp. Just incredibly thick looking. Would be a 4 or higher if it weren't completely flat. No head, no lace, nothing. Yeah, it captures the color, but that's not really too hard.

S: Moderately pungent with a nice roasted malt and dark chocolate aroma. Couldn't really detect anything else. Smelled great, but not too complex or strong.

T: Roasted malt and dark chocolate flavors in a nice blend -- moderately sweet, with a lightly bitter finish that brings in some coffee. A good, solid stout.

M: Medium to full-bodied. Zero carbonation. Just a little carb and this would have been great, very creamy!

D: Lost Abbey has made some solid-tasting beers, but they absolutely fail on mouthfeel. Both bottles of Serpents Stout that I bought were flat. Given how overrepresented this style is on BA, Serpents Stout is pretty much at the bottom of the pile. I'll get something else (or several somethings else) for this kind of money.

2.75/5  rDev -35%

2.75/5  rDev -35%

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%

I received this one in a trade back in December.

Poured into my favourite chalice, a small tan head forms on a black brew.

Not much for the nose. I detect a slight cola sweetness and a slight smell of molasses and booze.

Typical flavours of an Imperial stout although fairly muted, coffee, chocolate and a roasty flavour from the malt. The taste finishes with booze, this brew seems quite hot.

A nice thick and creamy mouthfeel.

Overall I expected a lot more from this brew. The typical flavours were there but were very muted and the booze was not hidden very well at all. I have drank stouts that are 18% ABV and were less boozy. Very underwhelming to say the least...

3.05/5  rDev -27.9%

Nothing went right with this beer......big mess!

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours black with a beige head that retains fairly well and leaves bits of lacing on the glass. Smell is of malted milk balls, earthy hops, light roast and plenty of booze. Taste of light caramel, a touch of coffee, earthy, grassy hops, malted milk balls and fusels. Medium body and higher than medium carbonation. Had this beer a few times and I fail to understand the extremely high ratings. They make other beers I enjoy quite a bit, but this isn't one.

3.11/5  rDev -26.5%

750ml bottle into the bottom of my Duvel tulip. Split with friends. This bottle is at least a year old.

A: After a very soft lackluster pop this beer pours pitch black with a couple fingers of dense light-brown head that slowly receded into a thin film that left streaks of lacing down the glass.
S: Dominant notes of coffee and dark chocolate with surprising notes of fruit? There is something sweet at the end of the scent that reminds me of chocolate covered exotic fruits. Probably hops.
T: Expected notes of coffee and dark chocolate with notes of raisins and bourbon in the finish. I get notes of toffee and roasted malt as well. Aftertaste is warm and full of alcohol and maybe a hint of vanilla. The flavors are all there, but are a bit burnt tastes, and the alcohol is similar to a Sharpies smell.
M: Still a bit of heat left on this one even after a year. Mouthfeel is initially a touch thin, but becomes more chewy as time passes. Medium bodied could be thicker but I'm getting picky.
D: Not sure how I feel about this one. I want to like it, but compared to other great stouts out there, this one seems a little unpolished. It's not bad, it's just not that outstanding or overall that pleasant to drink.

3.13/5  rDev -26%

A - pour pitch black with a tall brown head. Foam is tight and lasts.

S - inviting chocolate malts.

T - something in the flavor I do not like. There is a nice chocolate malt flavor, but something extra that I rubbed me a little wrong. Mild alcohol after taste.

M - mild coating with a slight alcohol burn in the throat. No tingles.

D - the high alcohol rating on a 750ml bottle makes this a one bottle brew.

3.18/5  rDev -24.8%

750ml bottle. Pours black with a small light brown head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is fudgy lactic chocolate malts, black licorice and some alcohol.

The flavor is sweet fudgy chocolate malts and molasses with a charred roast, black licorice and some alcohol. The finish is a lot of charred bitterness and alcohol. The mouthfeel is lighter than expected - light to medium bodied with low carbonation and kind of watery.

Overall, starts off promising, but it's just too hot, charred and unbalanced for me to truly like. I remember this beer being a lot more decadently sweet, and liking it a lot more that way.

3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

750mL Bomber poured into a Snifter

Picked this up at Colorado Liquor Mart while grabbing a 4-pack of Colorado standard Ten Fidy. I'm still trying hard to love The Lost Abbey, everyone else seems to, while I keep finding them ... rather boring.

A: Deep black with 2-fingers deep brown head.

S: Rich roasted malt, but shallow. Lots of booze here.

T: Sweetness up front into a coffee bitterness in the middle. Finish is burning boozeitude.

F: Thick, but not thick enough for my liking.

D: Decent stout, not disappointed, not blown away. This is pretty consistantly my opinion of The Lost Abbey.

Not considering price for a moment, If I'm to measure this against American Double Stouts, Green Flash Double - also from california - just absolutely demolishes this. If I'm to measure this against Russian Imperial Stouts, North Coast Old Rasputen - also from california - just absolutely demolishes this. Now taking into consideration that each is roughly half the price per ounce that this is ...

3.24/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

750 mL bottle of the 2009 vintage pours a murky black with a brawn head. Moderate retention and lace.

Nose is black licorice, cocoa powder, carob and oddly enough, overripe bananas. There is still a bit of clingy grass hop aroma as well.

Taste is dusty cocoa powder with a surprising amount of hoppy bitterness still. Black licorice pervades and it is not really a stout to my liking. It reminds me of Nightstalker. The mouthfeel is silky yet I wish there was more sweetness. This one just isnt really for me...I had a fresher sample a few times and liked it about the same as this aged version.

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Serpent's Stout from The Lost Abbey